5.8

1. Dec 9, 2010
    While the game is visually stunning, the excessive amount of wall jumping and the rather bad camera system pretty much ruins this game. I don't understand why they felt the need to make this Tron: Evolution of Persia. I have finally given up after spending the last 30+ minutes trying to do a stupid wall jump and I'm probably not even 50% into the first chapter. Grave, grave disappointment.
  2. Jan 3, 2011
    Preface: I am a LIFELONG fan of the TRON franchise.

A guy on meta-critic pretty well nailed the game description. This is a visually stunning, cyber-punk version of Prince of Persia. There isn't any really dynamic gameplay. Learn next objective, run there while doing some fancy acrobatics along the way, fight progressively harder bad guys, repeat. It's very linear and the biggest
    Preface: I am a LIFELONG fan of the TRON franchise.

There isn't any really dynamic gameplay. Learn next objective, run there while doing some fancy acrobatics along the way, fight progressively harder bad guys, repeat. It's very linear and the biggest challenges (for a PC player) come in the form of the awkward control scheme due to the game being a console port. There are no puzzles to solve or mysteries to unravel. Everything will be spoon fed to you if you just walk forward.

The PC Gamer Perspective
    The controls in this game are a pretty big 'F YOU!' to PC gamers. This game is meant for console play and the devs clearly gave PCs the back seat when they developed the control scheme. Think something like Devil May Cry or God of War. They work great on a controller but SUCK with a mouse/keyboard. The game developers didn't even bother to change the weapons tutorial information to display mouse/keyboard information or even more than one type of controller. So if you want your tutorial to tell you something other than XBOX 360 control scheme, well, you're SOL. I imagine that online play is console players owning the crap out of PC players and reveling in what they can't do with FPS games where PC players rule the roost.

But what about all the cool TRON universe stuff?
    Oh, you mean stuff like light cycles, tanks & disc combat? Yeah, there's that stuff too. Light cycles is totally linear sequences in single player play where you get to deal with dodging things, occasionally killing another NPC, and falling to your death or running into things 892384 times because of the responsiveness of the controls being so awful and nearly binary (in a bad way). Tanks is totally linear as well, but slow. You shoot at a few things, move forward, shoot more, etc. You get a main gun and an alternate fire that's based on which disc you have equipped. There are no challenging tank sequences.

Character/avatar combat? Ah yes... combat. Like the whole game, it's 3rd person rotating perspective in which you have to master a bunch of acrobatics and combos to really have a prayer at surviving. Nearly every acrobatic action you must take starts with a run/sprint, so that means you're almost always going have a finger clamped down on that button. You will not survive unless you become adept at frequently vaulting onto or off of the various objects which grant you health and energy. There is no "auto-run".

As the game progresses, you are fed progressively more frustrating mixtures of enemies that are weak to one type of weapon or attack while highly resistant to others. By chapter 3 you are regularly dealing with mixes that are effectively opposites. Enemies A, C & E will be vulnerable to weapon Y and highly resistant to weapon X, and enemies B, D & F will be just the opposite. As your adeptness at weapon switching increases, the game merely increases the rate at which the waves of them come at you. Get used to tactics which scatter your enemies so you can deal with them in smaller numbers or you will get slaughtered by the sheer volume of discs hitting you or melee attacks ripping you apart. I hope you took notes on who's vulnerable to what and I hope you're good at spotting the differences in appearance. I was playing on a 50" television and sometimes had trouble telling the difference between the guys vulnerable to bombs vs a guy vulnerable to parries or heavy disc.

Story
    Disappointingly mediocre just like the one in TRON: Legacy.

Overall
    I give this game a 4/10. It's pretty, but the story is lacking, the gameplay is too linear, the acrobatics to go all sorts of otherwise inane places get annoying and the combat is less about being unique, awesome and intense than it is about just plain beating you down with overwhelming odds.

As a lifelong fan of the TRON franchise, this one is a disappointment. I had more fun playing TRON 2.0 (2003 or so PC release).
  3. Dec 17, 2010
    Good example of "We`ll use U3 Engine without any good idea for game". Gameplay does not exists in this "game" at all. Ugly try-to-jump-and-break-you-keyboard platformer, without any inspiration. Inconvenient controls, try to hold ctrl+w+f at the same time. I`m thinking that game does not worth the money spent.
  4. Dec 20, 2010
    I think the game is really good, yes there is a lot of jumping and simple button mashing, but there is a long list of combos. If your a PC player and a TRON fan you can't go wrong with this game, I bought it off of Amazon for $29.00 and free shipping!!! I don't think its worth the $59.99 price that the consoles want you to fork over, but for us PC players... who cares its half the priceI think the game is really good, yes there is a lot of jumping and simple button mashing, but there is a long list of combos. If your a PC player and a TRON fan you can't go wrong with this game, I bought it off of Amazon for $29.00 and free shipping!!! I don't think its worth the $59.99 price that the consoles want you to fork over, but for us PC players... who cares its half the price and its the same game, plus I can get better levels of details on my PC then the consoles. So try the game out for yourself. After seeing the movie this weekend (and loving that) I have a better appreciation for the game. It won't be winning any game of the year awards its still fun, entertaining and pretty to look at. If your a Tron Fan this is a MUST! If your a casual gamer, I don't think you will appreciate this game. As other reviews have complained about the wall jumping it does get easier with practice and is very frustrating in the beginning. Wall jumping and fighting is repetitive but simple enough you don't get too frustrated or easily turned off. Expand
  5. Jan 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, first off: this is a console port. In order to play this game properly you should really invest in an Xbox360 Controller. I haven't even bothered trying the keyboard/mouse system. I could tell that would probably be tough, just based on the button combos you have to pull off. Second: Be sure to download your latest video drivers. My computer had serious issues (the game wouldn't even recognize i was capable of anything above 640X480!) before I had the latest drivers. Once that was done, i actually found the experience to be quite pleasant. The single player basically fills in the tale of how CLU takes over, and how Flynn and Quorra hook up. If you enjoyed the movie, you will probably find some enjoyment in the storyline. THEN comes the multiplayer: At first I found the light cycle experience to be incredibly unenjoyable. However, once I started to figure out the controls (and the fact that the shoulder buttons allow for 90 degree turns, ala OLD SCHOOL TRON), my opinion completely changed. Now i find myself putting in at least a good half hour to hour of light cycle games each day. It's pretty fun. The disc combat maps are a mixed bag. If you get a good group of people that don't spam the OP special disc abilities you can have alot of fun, but otherwise they can be a bit frustrating, especially when your'e a level 18 going up against a truckload of level 50's. All that being said, i'm surprised how much enjoyment i'm getting out of the game. Really wish more people were playing online, but alas... The unjustified poor reviews are killing this game. Expand
  6. Jan 14, 2011
    If you're going to port a console game... make it more challenging and get the controls right... oh yeah, stop limiting the viewpoint perspective. What they should do is develop the game for the pc and then dumb it down for the console... not the other way around. Don't buy this one.
  7. Feb 8, 2011
    Tron: Evolution delivers what the fans of the film need: action in the grid. Even when the game doesn't live up to what it could have been, it roughly becomes fun when it's not frustrating and the camera's clumsy movements let you do the moves right. After all, Tron: Evolution is the perfect example that not only stunning graphics, excellent art design and music are enough to make a bigTron: Evolution delivers what the fans of the film need: action in the grid. Even when the game doesn't live up to what it could have been, it roughly becomes fun when it's not frustrating and the camera's clumsy movements let you do the moves right. After all, Tron: Evolution is the perfect example that not only stunning graphics, excellent art design and music are enough to make a big game. If, in the future, we see another Tron based video game, i hope the developers will avoid the mistakes made with this one. Expand

1. Mar 21, 2011
    The visual design is delightful and the soundtrack is highly recommended for separate listening. Unfortunately, it's not much of a game. [Feb 2011, p.94]
  2. Feb 25, 2011
    Propaganda Games failed to create anything that even remotely resembles the brilliant TRON 2.0.
  3. Feb 22, 2011
    A film tie-in that's above average for tie-in games, but that only means it deserves to be quietly de-razzed. [Mar 2011, p.108]