Tropico 4 PC

7.7

1. Sep 1, 2011
    This is, at best, a $20 expansion pack, nowhere near worth $40.
  2. Aug 31, 2011
    Been a fan of the Tropico series, the only thing I feel for the fourth instalment is disappointment. Music has changed, a few extra features such as more missions, more buildings, but other then the few extra features, and they are only a few, it is the same game as the last. To top it off, graphics is worse then the third. Sorry but I didn't feel it to be the game I was expecting afterBeen a fan of the Tropico series, the only thing I feel for the fourth instalment is disappointment. Music has changed, a few extra features such as more missions, more buildings, but other then the few extra features, and they are only a few, it is the same game as the last. To top it off, graphics is worse then the third. Sorry but I didn't feel it to be the game I was expecting after playing the 3rd one. Expand
  3. Sep 2, 2011
    Ever since picking up Tropico 1 from some demo CD in some game magazine in my childhood, the series has introduced fresh ideas and styles to a great strategy title. Tropico 4 is a bit of an oddity in this sense however, as it introduces very little new to the series in terms of both gameplay and style.

Tropico 4 has added about 15 buildings, larger island sizes, and ministers to the game, and reworked a bit of the graphics to actually look less detailed then it's predecessor. But for every change they added, there's a crippling countermeasure for every boasted change. Larger map sizes for example - they have increased the size of maps, yet they still implement rock cliffs on up to 60% of your island so while you may have a larger map, you still cannot build effectively on most of these large maps. The variety is also sadly lackluster still. Recycled textures from Tropico 3, and the lack of variety in buildings is still puzzling at how they can market this as a sequel and not as an expansion pack. For example, houses in the game still have the same old boring texture, and unlike apartments or tenements, don't have any alternate textures for variety's sake. Sandbox maps are also sparse, as you get about 3 easy maps, 1 medium map, and 5 or 6 hard maps. It's almost as if by some crazy edict, El Presidente himself wanted this game to be bland, flat, and to use everything from Tropico 3. Another final point would be the moddability. There's been significant calls for greater moddability within the Tropico community, and the map editor is still embarrassingly bare bones, and those who want to mod and make the game better for the community still cannot really do so.

Aside from those flaws, Tropico 4 still has some defining features. A great soundtrack as always, a nicer user interface, and twitter/facebook integration (if that even matters) are some nicer features of the game. But Haemimont seemed to just wing it on continuing to make the series innovative style and gameplay-wise.

As a previous user stated, this feels more like Tropico 3.5 then Tropico 4, and for the price, it certainly doesn't push the envelope on the series. If you're new to the series; consider this game, but if you've played either past Tropico games, stick with Tropico 3 Gold Edition - you won't feel so cheated by El Presidente.
  4. Sep 2, 2011
    "Don't buy this, instead grab Tropico 3 Gold Edition for half the price. This adds about 15 new buildings, no new leader customization options, minimal rebalancing, no moddability, and it honestly looks uglier than 3 unless you're running on the highest settings. This is, at best, a $20 expansion pack, nowhere near worth $40."

Literally, listen to this review. Go and buy Tropico 3.
  5. Oct 7, 2011
    I love the tropico franchise but this is no more than a DLC pack. I mean even tropico 3 barely had new features, and now they're trying to sell a few missions (and even fewer maps!) at the full game price ? I'm sorry to see this awesome idea going down the drain but this is a rip-off.
  6. Sep 4, 2011
    i have only looked at the demo for 2 minutes, and from that i can see a handful of new buildings has been added..... and thats about it

it is EXACTLY the same as tropico 3, but with different missions, and a few new buildings interface has been altered, but is essentially exactly the same but i was kind of expecting this, as the trailer put up FACEBOOK AND TWITTER INTEGRATION! as if it

interface has been altered, but is essentially exactly the same

but i was kind of expecting this, as the trailer put up FACEBOOK AND TWITTER INTEGRATION! as if it was a big selling point for the game

on top of all that; i max out both tropico 3 and 4 on my pc, and i have to say 3 looked better and maxed out made my pc chug a bit, but this looks more like the xbox 360 graphics for tropico 3 when its maxed out

... so its up to you... pay $40 for a game with worse grpahics and identical gameplay (and a few more buildings)

or buy tropico 3 for $10

are those extra few buildings worth $30 plus a huge downgrade in graphics?

i cant give this a zero, because its still a tropico game, and it's awesome

seriously, if you do anything today, get one of these games!
  7. May 11, 2012
    Didn't get past the loading screen. You are required to log in to an account in order to play this single player, offline game. Just to play the game you've already paid for, you have sign a privacy policy allowing them to collect personal information about you. They may collect "hardware platform information" and any "other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers"Didn't get past the loading screen. You are required to log in to an account in order to play this single player, offline game. Just to play the game you've already paid for, you have sign a privacy policy allowing them to collect personal information about you. They may collect "hardware platform information" and any "other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers" (essentially anything they want). They can use your information for "internal record keeping", "to improve our products and services", "send promotional emails", and "market research purposes". If I buy a copy of Monopoly, I don't have to send them a written letter of my top 5 favorite TV shows and my home address before I can open the box. It's ludicrous that a video game studio would expect the same. Expand
  8. Mar 17, 2012
    I'm really torn what vote to give this game. I really am. As a stand alone game, it surely deserves at least an 9. As a successor to Tropico 3, it deserves a heartfelt zero. Why? Because this game is in fact Tropico 3 with new buildings. As an addon to T3, it would have received a gold star. As a standalone game and full price title, it feels like a horrible rip off. This is, essentiallyI'm really torn what vote to give this game. I really am. As a stand alone game, it surely deserves at least an 9. As a successor to Tropico 3, it deserves a heartfelt zero. Why? Because this game is in fact Tropico 3 with new buildings. As an addon to T3, it would have received a gold star. As a standalone game and full price title, it feels like a horrible rip off. This is, essentially Tropico 3 with a few new twists. Graphics? Same. I am not kidding, I am not exaggerating, even the buildings look EXACTLY the same as in T3. They are EXACTLY the same models with the same graphics. The character generation (i.e. how you make your El Presidente) has changed slightly, but again nothing that an addon could not have achieved. This is pretty much the only difference to the T3 addon Absolute Power, which also came with a new campaign and a few new buildings. Expand
  9. Sep 3, 2011
    I played Tropico 2 for weeks. Played Tropico 3 for 2 days. Played Trop 3 Gold for hours. Trop 4 for minutes. Congratulations. The series is dead now. â
  10. Aug 28, 2011
    It would be absolutely amazing...it there wasn't Tropico 3. But there was, and it was great - and part 4 feels just like an add-on, but it cannot stand alone as a game. The improvements are hardly there, and most of them base on the font and other graphic improvements plus some new scenarios, not the actual gameplay. If you were into Tropico 3, I guarantee part 4 will bore you within 10It would be absolutely amazing...it there wasn't Tropico 3. But there was, and it was great - and part 4 feels just like an add-on, but it cannot stand alone as a game. The improvements are hardly there, and most of them base on the font and other graphic improvements plus some new scenarios, not the actual gameplay. If you were into Tropico 3, I guarantee part 4 will bore you within 10 minutes. The screens tell the truth - and because it looks a lot like Tropico 3, means it's pretty much the same thing, slightly re-freshened and repacked to make you think it's brand new.
    I suppose it's the limit for the makers. A huge let-down. Hence the zero. Don't buy it.
  11. Apr 5, 2012
    The gameplay is generally pretty good. The developers have spent all this time on good gameplay but they have forgotten to include the basic continuity features. This game doesn't include autosave. Even when the option is ticked, freeplay games are not autosaved which causes huge frustration. Even then, in challenge mode, autosave saves so far apart that if you crash it feels likeThe gameplay is generally pretty good. The developers have spent all this time on good gameplay but they have forgotten to include the basic continuity features. This game doesn't include autosave. Even when the option is ticked, freeplay games are not autosaved which causes huge frustration. Even then, in challenge mode, autosave saves so far apart that if you crash it feels like restarting anyway. Furthermore the menus including the bottom left controls take up most of the screen. They should be made small on user choice and if the user chooses, be 'minimizable' to a small tab on the bottom, similar to the Windows interface. This is really frustrating. How could the developers lack such obvious continuity features, yet make general gameplay pretty good? URGH!! Expand
  12. Apr 1, 2013
    Any game with ridiculous DRM requires a 0 rating. You're a traitor to other gamers if you allow these people to continue without biting them as hard as you can.

This game requires you to register it the moment you load it the first time. There is no option to bypass it. This is idiotic, and these guys, who I use to support with my cash, will never see another cent. I'm not giving you my personal information for you to spam me with email offers or to sell as part of a list. To say this is DRM is ridiculous. The game takes a minute to break with a crack, and these developers know that full well.
  13. Dec 7, 2013
    fthis game sucks so hard dsfsdfsdfsdfsfsdf sdffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

1. Apr 18, 2013
    Taking control over the fictitious banana republic Tropico is still very entertaining. The changes from Tropico 3 are not overwhelming, but for new players the learning curve is a bit steep. However Tropico 4 is an addictive title and a safe alternative to Theme - and Sim -games.
  2. Dec 29, 2011
    A well-made instalment of the great game trying not to innovate itself, but pleasing its hardcore fans or newcomers nonetheless – by its new campaign with more assignments, an import option and by a several new buildings addition. One is just wondering why there are still some flaws in the game and why the Tropico 4 does not bear a title of an expansion pack?
  3. Nov 22, 2011
    The game expands and improves the series, making it more approachable than ever, but without losing depth, so it offers the same fun, but improved. However, it evolves little in comparison with the previous entry, so those who enjoyed Tropico 3 won't find many new things in this fourth installment.