Tropico 5 PC

7.0

1. Jun 5, 2014
    Overall Tropico 5 feels like a more accessible and polished Tropico 3. Everything we loved about the series since the beginning is still present but the recycling is getting it's toll and the series starts to feel a bit stale.
  2. May 23, 2014
    I think the series is going to a good direction, in general, but there are a few things that really irritate me. Firstly, less content that Tropico 4. Get ready for another DLC infested game where you end up paying another 50-60$ just in DLC. Now I didn't really mind for Tropico 4 since I loved the game but as far as pure value goes it's pretty bad. If they make it more enticing I think itI think the series is going to a good direction, in general, but there are a few things that really irritate me. Firstly, less content that Tropico 4. Get ready for another DLC infested game where you end up paying another 50-60$ just in DLC. Now I didn't really mind for Tropico 4 since I loved the game but as far as pure value goes it's pretty bad. If they make it more enticing I think it can work. Secondly is the new UI and interface: wtf? It honestly feels as if they are prepping it for consoles. There is no reason to not be able to select things from a big menu rather than scrolls through things. Roads are way more grid based and less free flowing than in 4 and so are buildings. PC settings are truly lackluster and even worse than 4. The only way I can rationalize all this downgrades is because it is is being ported to console, otherwise it makes no sense to me because it's making it worse for the sake of making it worse. As far as everything else is concerned: if you liked previous Tropico games you'll like this one. It's not that different and the gameplay is improved. If you truly like Tropico and haven't played it to death you are honestly better off with 4, at the moment, but after a year of constant DLC (lol) 5 will reign supreme. Expand
  3. May 24, 2014
    I start to review Tropico 5, a franchise i love, with a 10. #No prisons, just 2 options of decoration buildings and some buildings less, -1.0; #The financial system is just confusing in usability and comprehension, considering what made the succes of salaries etc of Tropico series, -0.5; #Maybe Haemimont brings us soon a World Editor again, but without it just now, -0.5; #We cannot findI start to review Tropico 5, a franchise i love, with a 10. #No prisons, just 2 options of decoration buildings and some buildings less, -1.0; #The financial system is just confusing in usability and comprehension, considering what made the succes of salaries etc of Tropico series, -0.5; #Maybe Haemimont brings us soon a World Editor again, but without it just now, -0.5; #We cannot find the good lists of the almanac that made good points of the franchise, like if i want to know how many inhabitants are born-tropicans for example, i just cant, the almanac now seems just "lean", -1.0; Some other things just dont fit, anyway, so i think its just to give Tropico 5 a well deserved 7.0 at this release.

Of course, there are goods things, like a Constitution, the idea of the eras, a trade system and a dinasty system, a better combat system, as many other things that we can easily add as examples of improvement on the series.

I hope Haemimont have the free hand to act and point some of these things, and improve the game even more... i hope i can give Tropico 5 a 9 soon, a franchise i love.
  4. Jun 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is another game I was excited about, but once again wasn't what I expected. Tropico 5's graphics are better than Tropico 4, a new technology tree, and historical eras. However, there are some irritating things about this game. First of all, the characters were BORING!!!! They weren't lively and charismatic like those Tropico 4, and the faction leaders seemed to be taken out. Foreign relations system in the game was not as fun and challenging as it was in Tropico 4. The eras system was not so good either. For example, I was in the World Wars era and I was using colonial infantry to fight a squad of tanks and there was modern Latin music playing in 1920. The idea of having a dynasty and building managers was a good idea and was one thing I liked. But, there wasn't much outfits or personalities to personify your dictator with. The combat system was more tactical, but I would've preferred it to be more strategic though with different types of troops. I think that Tropico 5 is not as good as I though it would be. It needs some major tweaking before it could match Tropico 4's grandness. Expand
  5. Jun 8, 2014
    Very mixed feelings about Tropico 5. It does feel like the game has tried to take a step back to go forwards and I am not really sure its come out ahead.

Firstly, the UI. Its a step back. Those things you would usually do to access a menu and make a selection are not and things are mapped strangely indeed and the way you select options feels like something from a console port instead of a PC based series. It makes little sense and would probably annoy console and PC gamers alike. (I dont think this is even available on consoles making this choice even more hard to undertstand). So the UI feels clunky.

The interaction between your island and the world in general feels more involving and dynamic than it did in past games, this is as step forward.

The reactions of your people and factions seems to be more predictable and less fussy which though many will find a "dumbing" down but I actually found quite logical.

Graphics and sound, more of the same all up to par / good. Amusing voices on the characters etc etc

I have to mention the character creation. You can appear like various forms of halfwit no matter the combinations you choose. This actually doesnt really matter but it inst very polished. We no longer have any traits either. Personally, I dont much care about that but it does add slightly to the feeling of a potential dumbing down in Tropico.

Am I glad I got it...... Erm, not really.

Its ok but it doesnt feel like a new game by any means. There is a lack of content and depth here which is a bit disappointing. On the other hand, I am enjoying it for what it is. More of the same with a few new twists and turns. I suspect the lack of depth and (unless I am wrong as I am still playing) lack of actual content will give this a relatively short life on my installed games list.

Possibly the last Tropico for me unless the next game really brings something new to the party. I dont want multiplayer, I dont want crap achievements or anything like that, just more content and options to add longevity to the experience. Right now it doesnt look like there was enough in this to justify a new release.
  6. May 27, 2014
    I come from a long line of El Presidentes... Specifically from 1 to 4 and now 5 and I have to say this newest island blows...

I think Tropico 5 fails in 2 of the most important motivations in a city-builiding sim game. (1) Charm, (2) Free-Will. A lot of american games suffers from point 1 over time. It is akin to visiting a quaint european village compared to an american megapolis,

A lot of american games suffers from point 1 over time. It is akin to visiting a quaint european village compared to an american megapolis, or comparing kyoto the ancient capital of Japan to Tokyo, its business skyscraper equivalent. It is giving up the quaint, charming pace in place of structured conveniences which will bring in masses but lose the charm. I think that with every iteration of Tropico, more and more charm is lost. Charm is in the small things, it is in the details. Take the walking speed of the inhabitants for example, all citizens now walks really fast, getting to places in no time. There's no more old people walking around, and you hardly see kids or babies walking without purposes. Everybody seems to run with such clear vision of where they need to be, and no one is laid back, as a banana republic should be. The teamsters in the colonial age now runs at just a tad slower than cars in the modern age, and if a battle happens on a street, the population will drive past the zone ignoring the firefight in its path. Construction had been most charming in Tropico 1 and 2, where the construction workers, distinctly male or female, would take time to level the trees, alter the terrain, then built the foundation and finally the structure. In 3 & 4, I was disappointed because they no longer alter the terrain but still, you wonder if your workers will get too tired and give up to go for a drink right before it finishes that important building that you needed built. As a manager, you then adjust your strategy to make sure things get done. In 5, omg like the new Simcity, the construction workers would tap once, twice and then go to the next part of the building, tap tap and its done. Theres no emotional investment at all. Wheres the waiting, the anticipation that they got right the last time and games like BANISH still respects. How about graphics? - Wheres the graffiti in the buildings? Where's the run down shacks? There's shacks all right but it's not really all that run down. Graphics are the least charming it has ever been with most building spotlessly clean. WTF its a banana republic not an inorganic tourist trap like SINGAPORE! The UI has also been reduced to some corporate data sheet. You no longer get to see who is using some of your services like the clinics. Instead of faces of people, you get to see number. Church? Numbers... How about elections? That was nail biting in Tropico 2. Then in 3 & 4, they took away the all important "anticipation" and "built up". It became harder to know who you were in the run against. If there's no character development and tension building, who cares about the election? That plot becomes a speed bump in the game, nothing more. In 5, it got worse because now, if it says you got 49%, you don't need for the results to be out before you know you gonna lose. Where's the swing voters? If you win, yes, the swing voters kicks in to let the numbers feel more organic. So (1) Charm is so much less in Tropico 5

(2) Free-Will. This affects Charm as well because charm is a by product of free-will. Without organic feeling destiny, where's the charm? And Tropico is full of very predictable outcomes. Its very tightly scripted story-progression mechanics is fine when it gives you information, but Tropico 5 just makes it very linear and each dialogue has an ulterior motive to drive you in ONE direction and ONE only. There is only always ONE winning outcome for every scenario, in a city building game!!! Sure you can take a few detours to get there but then its always the same! Between the start of a stage and end objective, theres all there sub-objectives that drives up every few minutes that you have to at least fulfill most of it to progress further. This breaks the illusion that you are a governor or El Presidente, but rather you are really Penultimo, the sidekick, and the developers are the real Presidents in this game. This is the most LINEAR driven city sim ever, even more so than the debacle Simcity. How can this be? How can the developers think that a LINEAR building sim is a good idea? When all we've had for generations of City Building Sims is to play with free-will?

Well for one thing, the developers seems to have focused on using the humour to mask the shortcomings but humour is a very subjective attraction. Some people like Monty Python wit, others prefer Conan OBrien etc. The humour is not as good as in previous Tropicos, because the characters are not flashed out. Other than Penultimo, the setup of the characters are too weak to feel Invested properly. Tropico 5 is a fun game because the apple can't fall too far from the tree, and some key mechanics from old makes it fun, but along the way it just got lost.
  7. May 31, 2014
    Nice graphics and some improvments. Best thing is that almost every building now has a builtin garage, traffic management is still an issue but not THE most important thing.
    Played the entire game but wouldn't recommend it to a friend yet, wait a year and see if the developers updates all the small things that could have made this game a clear ten! More probable that I will replay tropico 4 than tropico 5.

- Game doesn't give enough feedback, it's unclear what a certain building does, what it's range is etc. Makes it a game of chance. The same with happiness and political views, very unclear game mechanic making it hard to plan. The almanac is dumbed downed, I have no idea why they would give the player less statistical information making it harder to plan. In tropico 4 my main problem with import/export was traffic jams, here it is the severely broken teamster AI. This could have been saved if there was a way to micromanage or red flag an important building that the teamsters have forgotten. Financial system with efficiency is a joke, you just set every building to max, no way to make sure you have workers in your most important buildings. I just don't get why there isn't a decent in game manual describing what a building does in some detail, now it's mostly guesses or experience.
    Almost forgot, they have totally gimped tourism. It wasn't profitable before and now the hotel prices makes it completely useless.
    Having no option to restart an island is stupid, novice players might have to replay several missions due to some earlier mistake in planning.

+Nice graphics. Constitution system and research system is fun. It's not all about garages where you dream about subways like in Tropico 4. The military/war part with invasions is fun. The dumbed downed infosystem probably makes it easier for newcomers. The eras are fun, political shifts etc. also fun that you get to continue what you started (bad with this is that later missions are REALLY easy if you planned well early on).
  8. May 24, 2014
    I am new to the Tropico 5 franchise. I decided to buy it because I always liked city builders and I didnt by Sim City 2013 because of the always online demands etc.
    I played it now for 2 hours and I am moderately positive. As far as I can see from now there is enough to do. The graphics are not really pretty, but still better than I expected to be honest. I expected worst. Sim City 2013 graphics are not much better, altough the graphics of Anno 2070 are clearly better. I play Tropico 5 on the maxed out (high) settings. On the low settings the graphics look a bit dated. But the maxed high are acceptable.
    This is more or less an ironic / funny version of Sim City. With some humour in it. That makes it a less serious city builder. But there is still enough to do and to build as far as I can see for so far. The gameplay feels a bit like Anno.
    What I liked are the eras, the reasearch and the declarence of independence. All in all a city builder / strategic political sim that is worth playing if you like city builders or if you are interested in strategy / politics.
  9. May 23, 2014
    Tropico 5 is different from 4. That's a very good thing, Considering 4 had an easy formula to follow to win rather easily, now it seems a lot more variables are added to the game to cause the tried and true formulaic routine not so cut and dried. I wanted more opportunity for things to go wrong, and feel more rewarded when my decisions become successful. So far, it seems to offer that, andTropico 5 is different from 4. That's a very good thing, Considering 4 had an easy formula to follow to win rather easily, now it seems a lot more variables are added to the game to cause the tried and true formulaic routine not so cut and dried. I wanted more opportunity for things to go wrong, and feel more rewarded when my decisions become successful. So far, it seems to offer that, and cuts away some of the fluff from 4 (which admittedly, I kind of liked). Now for the bad aspects. The game crashes for me. The graphics are very outdated and is not pretty to look at. It could have used better character customization. I do not really care for the pre-defined first names. I want to name my dictator, thank you. Conclusion? I would not buy it full price. Wait for a sale. Expand
  10. May 27, 2014
    I was playing Tropico since the first release. My gameplay-wise favorite up to this day is T4, but i HATED the DLC approach Kalypso took with this one. Just check it on steam how many $/EUR 5 DLC adding ONE building, ONE mission and ONE costume each they released - not including the really good expansion modern times. Unfortunately, it seems that they will follow this with the T5 which I'mI was playing Tropico since the first release. My gameplay-wise favorite up to this day is T4, but i HATED the DLC approach Kalypso took with this one. Just check it on steam how many $/EUR 5 DLC adding ONE building, ONE mission and ONE costume each they released - not including the really good expansion modern times. Unfortunately, it seems that they will follow this with the T5 which I'm really not happy about.

But let's get back to the game, they improved the graphics, but on the other hand they removed variability - you have ONE model of apartments, ONE model of tenements etc. In T4 you had several options with several color variations. They also removed a lot of building (elementary school, prison...) and really crippled the almanac which is really unfortunate, as every decent strategy needs to provide you decent statistics if you need them.
    Major additions are multiplayer, dynasties and eras. Tbh I was not playing MP mainly due to missing saving system and other various issues that you can find on web and also that I don't really miss MP in this type of games.
    Dynasties are ok, but as you can have several members of your family, your El Presidente can now have only 1,5 skill instead of 3+2 in T4. 1,5 because one is only for the building where your family member is 'manager' and the other one is global - affecting whole isle. Biggest disappointment with dynasties is that your EP (El Presidente) is immortal again (which is strange with the addition of eras) so the other members are there only to provide you with global bonuses - which i think is a pity.
    Eras - which is another new gimmick, is basically not alloving you to build better building from the scrap. You are starting in colonial era - with just few basic buildings, mainly focus on raw resources with almost no industry, then moving to world wars - there you unlock industry, moving to cold war with almost everything unlocked and finally modern times which unlocks like 2-3 buildings (I expect many new building added via DLCs). There are some more options to this - like improved army and stuff, but it's jsut minor stuff.
    Gameplay is classical Tropico, you start small, grow big. Issue is with approval - even with high approval and happy people you will have a lot of uprisings and many rebels - seems that noone can find out why and how to prevent this atm.
    They changed combat system but I can't say it's better now - your units create squads - but only per building, so instead of sending 6 soldiers from a base, base will send one squad. You can't really control them, they will just rush to the enemy and trade fire - no strategical element there, just build many guard towers that shoot at enemies that will get close and overwhelm them with numerical advantage. Missed opportunity imo.
    What they really improved is traffic system - that was the major pain in T4 from my point of view. Now a car will drive in the closest building with car entrance instead of creating major traffic jams while driving empty cars around to the closest garage. In my latest game I had over 1000 population but noticed no major jams. The building system was improved too, you don't need to wait now forever till you guys will get to the construction site and start doing something.
    Trade was reworked too, now you need a lot of docks as one dock will give you one trading ship (later 2) that you need to fulfill contracts that pay much better then default trade or if you need to import stuff. It's a bit pain later on when you run out of resources (coal, iron..) as your ships can bring only 3000 (later 4500) units of given resource, which is nothing if you run more factories.

There are some issues of course, there was already a day 0 patch released, I'm sure about many DLCs that will come, but overall if you like this kind of games, you will like T5. I would give it more, but i HATE the DLC path kalypso choose and I know they will add some really needed buildings later, but it will be again 5 bucks per building which is a ******* ripoff.
  11. May 31, 2014
    Tropico 5 is not quite as good of a Tropico game as it's predecessors, however, it is a better city-builder. Tropico still maintains much of it's comedy and charm but, unfortunately, something feels like it is missing since Tropico 4.

The new interface leaves much to be desired as much of the information that El Presidente's are used to is now either buried or missing. Want to know which buildings are profitable and full? Too bad. Want to know where the oil is? Use a magnifying glass! The lack of a Tropico 4 style interface leaves much to be desired and makes it difficult to get the information you need.

It also seems that with the addition of the new interface we've also lost the fun faction interaction that we've come to expect. They do still exist but they've essentially taken a back seat to everything and are much harder to find with much fewer missions.

The addition of the new dynasty system is pretty cool. Your new family members offer you some nice bonuses, more benefits, and you can use them as new 'managers' which help you run buildings better. You can even send them on fun little missions and storyline quests for more bonuses. However, with the addition of these new folks you also lose direct control of El Presidente himself. You can no longer tell him where to go, who to visit, and what store to promote. I used to LOVE that feature from Tropico 4 and it helped pass the time and improve production. Now all El Presidente does is wonder around like an NPC. Furthermore, you also have a lot less options in character creation when it comes to El Presidente and can no longer pick from a vast number of backgrounds, histories, bonuses, and penalties; now you pick ONE bonus and that's it.

As I said, Tropico 5 is likely the best city builder of the series. The addition of the new grid or city layout system makes placing and organizing structures MUCH easier. Due to the new era system you also have building that grow and change as time passes. Farms, for example, get nice upgrades and then can be transformed into Hydroponic Farms which are much smaller and more efficient.

Overall, I have been enjoying Tropico as a good city builder but I often miss the micromanagement, humor, and the style of Tropico 4. Everyone expects at least a dozen DLCs (ten confirmed so far) and I hope that future patches improve Tropico 5 back up to Tropico 4's level.
  12. Jul 13, 2014
    More of the same. Feels like Tropico 3-4, without much change. Even the graphics look nearly the same as Tropico 4. Not a fan, just because I've grown tired of Tropico 4 after playing it so much. I was looking for a new experience, but this turned out to feel like a simple expansion.
  13. Jun 5, 2014
    A city building game with strategical elements, an atmospheric setting and fresh sense of politically ironic humor. Good old Tropico. It's not revolutionary compared to its predecessor, nevertheless its polished in terms of graphics and some gameplay relevant elements. It feels smoother and more colorful. I appreciate the added multi-monitor support, preventing from scrolling the cursorA city building game with strategical elements, an atmospheric setting and fresh sense of politically ironic humor. Good old Tropico. It's not revolutionary compared to its predecessor, nevertheless its polished in terms of graphics and some gameplay relevant elements. It feels smoother and more colorful. I appreciate the added multi-monitor support, preventing from scrolling the cursor all over the other screens. The added multiplayer feature would have been amazing, if the gamespeed-lock got removed and a save feature was finally implemented. In it's current state the mp is pretty much unplayable, since Tropico loses its entire charm and essence, by being forced into a fast paced rts, rather than a laid back building game. There are some limitations, restricting the endgame possibilities, like the population softcap, which seem unnecessary and force the game to a definite end at some point, damping the sandbox building game experience. So, there is definitely room for improvement, regarding overall focus and detail and endgame design as well as optimization of some of the multiplayer functions, but overall, Tropico 5 is a nice building game with Caribbean flair, refreshingly ironic and entertaining. Expand
  14. May 26, 2014
    На безрыбье экономических стратегий пойдет. Хотя даже и так игра очень хороша. В предыдущие части серии я не играл по этому не скажу что поменялось, но знаю что раньше не было мультиплеера, так что плюс. Я считаю если вы любите стратегии и особенно экономические, то прошу развивать свою независимую страну!На безрыбье экономических стратегий пойдет. Хотя даже и так игра очень хороша. В предыдущие части серии я не играл по этому не скажу что поменялось, но знаю что раньше не было мультиплеера, так что плюс. Я считаю если вы любите стратегии и особенно экономические, то прошу развивать свою независимую страну!
  15. May 27, 2014
    i like this game of some what but the anoying thing about this game is when the power plants are full the power plant dosen's porduce the power and the most anoying thing is the voting and the relbels and dx11 and select video cards
  16. Aug 31, 2014
    i have some issues with the tropico series, in this one they have fixed a lot of them but there is a a mayor fault, its too easy to build a raging economy. just build 5 or 6 mines, some farms and you have your own super magical economy. and in here they make some new mistakes like the custumization of the leader.
    and another mayor fault in the series, whats for the money in the swiss
    and another mayor fault in the series, whats for the money in the swiss account? besides that, its kind of refreshing and its a nice change, but for now, its not enough.

my verdict: its a good new direction, but they fix one thing and mess up with another. and they still have to fix some mayor faults that they have been carrying over the years. its a nice game and a fun one if you dont expect much, and if you dont mind hearing over the same song all the time
  17. Jun 10, 2014
    While not much different then 4 it still is an upgrade to better graphics and a little more in depth of a game play. Overall its a good challenge and city build type game. The changes from 4 to 5 I like and are things I wished 4 had so a step in the right direction just wish for a little more.
  18. Mar 25, 2015
    Tropico 5 made things easier and more straightforward. You don't have to worry about things as much as you had to do in Tropico 3/4. While Tropico die-hard fans may find this unpleasant, I (as mostly a casual player) found Tropico 5 more enjoyable than Tropico 3/4.

That aside, campaign was really nice (more or less Cuba throughout history) and as already said, overall gameplay is relaxing.
    Graphics are nice but I have to say I'd like to have multiple models for (for example) houses and such, having every single house looking the same kills a bit realism.
    On sound compartment I have to say that things are not as good as graphics. Effects are often not good, not as much as unpleasant, but still not good enough; music feels repetitive after really a short time.

Recommended for casual players, die-hard fans may get disappointed, wait for discounts (graphic is still better than Tropico 3/4).
  19. Sep 12, 2014
    Tropico 5 isn't a bad game. But I think that in some things it has gone back if we compare with Tropico 4. There are few buildings, and it seems that will be lots and lots of DLCs to balance this. It's like an unfinished game, and I can't understand why there's no prisons.

The eras are a good idea, but the incorporation could have been better. The historical messages don't match with the correct years, and it's annoying. Other innovations, like the Constitution, are well implemented and work fine, and some others, like tanks, might work better.

Another con is the humor characteristic of the franchise. The characters are not as funny and charismatic as they were in previous games. In conclusion, now is better to buy Tropico 4 with the DLCs. Tropico 5 can be a great game with all the DLCs released, and this is really sad.

1. Aug 25, 2014
    Solid, engaging campaign is full of humor and shines especially during the Cold War era, but unfortunately fades in the modern period. [08/2014, p.75]
  2. Aug 11, 2014
    Dictator sim Tropico 5 offers a good strategy experience that is fairly easy to get into, compared with many of its competitors. The colorful graphics and music sets a nice tropical island tone and occasional laughs can be had due to the funny dialogue. However, compared with the best in the genre, Tropico 5 feels a bit monotonous at times, in particular towards the end of a round.
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    As a total package, it's a great starting point for new players. Gameplay mechanics like diplomacy have been simplified, so it's pretty easy to understand for newcomers.