UFO: Afterlight PC

7.6

1. Oct 23, 2015
    This is a review for the game as it comes after you buy it. That means up to patch 1.5.
    So after I completed aftermath and aftershock(I liked both game especially aftershock) I started play afterlight. At that momment I didn't have internet to use mods or unofficial patches(as most people do) so I played the vanilla version. And oh man was I disappointed.
    Because of that I feel that I
    Because of that I feel that I should start with the numerous drawbacks of the game. Graphics were too cartoony for my liking and bright for a Ufo game where you are trying to save the humanity. The first enemy you encounter was another disappointment. Some laughtable looking alien robots that you can't take seriously.
    In afterlight forget all seriousness. It doesn't feel like you command soldiers. It mostly feels like you command the local militia of a colony which consists from old grannies to teenagers. When you start the game the can't even run or crouch for cover even in light suits. You have to walk them all over the map
    like some invalids(I understand about the granny but the rest?) without strategy and shooting whatever moves. You have to train them later to run and there is a different training for crouching and laying prone(for light suits. You can only walk in heavy suits. In medium suits you can run and crouch but now lay prone. Mabe they are afraid that the suit will get dirty). People are talking about tactics in this game but I just don't see any. When in heavy armor you return to the tactics of 18th century. You put your troopers in heavy armor in a line(they can't take cover since they can't crouch or lay prone and can only walk) and shoot your enemies with laser weapons. When in light armor you can use tactics and cover but after a while you need to change to heavy if you want your people to survive. Then just put heavy armors and heavy laser weapons(with two shotgunners for the alien warbeasts) form a line and it's a walk in the park.
    The problems are not ending there. We still have a long way to go. The weapon variety is way to small(forget the many weapons from aftermath and aftershock.there are 3 human rifles, ONE sniper, no machineguns etc.) and most of them are becoming obsolite after a while. After you start fighting matriarchs for example the standard human rifle becomes completely useless(as most of the weapons tha shoot bullets) and the game forces you to go laserstyle or you can't win. Snipers are greatly nurfed and in the late game almost useless. They are also bugged or something since first level snipers are supposed to take accuracy bonus with precise shots but in my game it stayed the same.
    Now in the game there are 3 classes. Soldiers, scientists and engineers. There are also hybrids. This makes the game look more like a failed "how to organise you colony" simulator than a strategy game. You have to babysit not only your soldiers now but your scientists engineers and hybrids as well. So after a mission you have to arange those with two classes to return to the factory or lab and complete their other duties. Because it's not enought they are going to war. They have to work extra after the missions in factories. Like a **** militia. Your soldiers are brain dead as well and can't use medkits. In this game you have to be a scientist to use them.
    Other traits that I dislike is that you can't recruit more soldiers(game forces you to reload after a while), the crapload of bugs(almost as many as aftershock but at least aftershock was not anoying on top of its bugs), the plotholes(one advisor asks if it is morally right to take from the beastmen their homeworld but noone brings it up again), the luck of strategy form your enemies(they just trie to overwhelm you), the fact that beastmen have scanerlike equipment but I've never seen them to use it, the fact that diplomacy is a joke(if you sign a trade agreement only with war you can stop it), the luck of ap ammo(there is only heavy ammo which seems useless and light ammo which is good for snipers) so projectile weapons(except shotguns) become useless against almost everyone and that the advisors doesn't say the names of the soldiers that got healed or trained. You just know that someone got healed. I want to add tha soldiers with small bodies (eg the two twins) end up with huge heads in the battle map since the game has only one body model for men and it can't adapt them correctly.
    The most annoying thing though is when you are under attack. There is an advisor that pops out and tells you that there are invaders but when you try to push the show region button he just goes back and you are just confused without knowing where the invaders are so you have to search the whole map.
    Some of the things I liked were the weapon sounds, the psionic powers and the alien soldiers.
    All in all UFO:Afterlight v1.5 is a simplistic and downgraded version of aftershock and a big no imo. The worst UFO of the after series.
  2. Dec 6, 2014
    There are not much games where you can terraform Mars (or terraform something at all), so that's the reason why this game is really worth playing. Classic UFO in real time + many new cool features. That is realy weak - it is a story...
  3. May 15, 2014
    i think you should look after the original UFO games first. This is different from many important viewpoint. This one is aimed for kids and doesnt hav the thrilling athmosphere of the original.
    its really repetitive .
    and theres something wrong with the difficulty.
  4. Feb 8, 2014
    Played this game when it first came out was brilliant then, unfortunaylt you can't play it now on updated graphics cards or laptops, either way dont buy this unless you have a very old computer/OS
  5. Jan 12, 2014
    Don't buy it wont even work after you press play, it will just come with the same bloody error. I would like to play this game, if it would just RUN!!! Never buy this thing. I wasted my money just to take up fricken disk space...
  6. Jan 7, 2014
    XCOM: EU. XCOM UFO: Afterlight UFO: Afterlight XCOM: EU UFO XCOM: EU UFO: Afterlight UFO
  7. Oct 17, 2012
    This is not the spiritual successor of the original UFO games. The battles are in real time (altough you can pause and issue commands to your units) and the atmosphere is unlike the original one: This one is cartoonish-childish, missing any tension or thrill of the old UFO games.
    Beside the barren, and empty battle maps the 2 major faults of the game are:
    - Defensive battles are
    Beside the barren, and empty battle maps the 2 major faults of the game are:
    - Defensive battles are repetitive, and are happening too frequently,
    - Badly calibrated, and designed difficulty.
    Normal diff. here is like insane or impossible one in any other game. You have to know the tech tree (especially the weapon and armour researches) or you will restart the game a dozen of times.
  8. Oct 5, 2012
    Just about the best tactical combat game Ive played. I wonder why theres not more like this. The combination of realtime and turn based management is unique and it is best what Ive seen. It does exactly what good game should do: lets you stop action, make important changes - more at once, then resume the reality. But every action takes its time, so you cant really bluff or get advantage.Just about the best tactical combat game Ive played. I wonder why theres not more like this. The combination of realtime and turn based management is unique and it is best what Ive seen. It does exactly what good game should do: lets you stop action, make important changes - more at once, then resume the reality. But every action takes its time, so you cant really bluff or get advantage.
    Ultimate squad combat, I am only sad that there is no multiplayer and no other similar multiplayer game out there either. Frozen Synapse is trying to do something similar in terms of engine, but it's not quite it. In FS its too much about luck and chances. Afterlight is about precise tactics and counting with all possibilities when planning mission execution. Bravo Altar.
  9. Oct 4, 2012
    Great game this, I picked it up again recently after a long time and instantly enjoyed it again, it's got the old feel of the original xcom games and builds the urge to keep playing up to nigh on addiction levels! Graphically it still holds up well today UI as a whole can take some getting used to but it works in the end.

My only major gripe is the auto camera feature is so annoying

My only major gripe is the auto camera feature is so annoying it's unbelievable when in caves and underground you end up with sea sickness from the damn thing jumping up and down all the time, some tighter work on the cam would go a long way.

Overall great game and I'd strongly recommend it.
  10. May 30, 2012
    It's such a crime that this game has been overlooked by so many people. Reviewers didn't take enough time to dive deep into the game and find out what there is under the hood. Sure, the voice acting on the English version is abysmal and some of the mission art is bland (not many objects or cover) but the rest of the game is top notch. Any X-Com fan should love this title and it'sIt's such a crime that this game has been overlooked by so many people. Reviewers didn't take enough time to dive deep into the game and find out what there is under the hood. Sure, the voice acting on the English version is abysmal and some of the mission art is bland (not many objects or cover) but the rest of the game is top notch. Any X-Com fan should love this title and it's certainly the best of the UFO series. Not to be overlooked if you're a fan of the X-Com series, especially if you liked Apocalypse. Expand
  11. Feb 17, 2011
    Great game great classic x-com fun in 3d on the down side i disliked the recruitment option and the given troop roster
  12. Jan 1, 2011
    This game is great. It picks up where X-com left off. The characters are memorable, and the action can get pretty intense for a Stop-Time-Strategy-Game. I found my heart beating heavily as if I was playing L4D2, or Gears of War. When the rag doll physics kicks in and a enemy rolls off the top of a catwalk and slides downhill, it pulls of sensations of awesome.

You get three games in one,

You get three games in one, a base planner, a tactical shooter, and an RPG
    The technology and specialazations of your colony is pretty varied. This game is so worth it. If you catch it on sale its a no-brainer.

Note: Not recommended for people with short attention spans.
  13. ChuenLee
    Jul 22, 2009
    This game is awesome! After updating the game with all the latest patches, I don't have any problem with it whatsoever. The patch also improves things like automatic putting injured soldiers to the hospital so I don't have to micro-manage it. The patched AI seemed to be very challenging and sometimes I have to completely change my strategy to complete the mission. I hope thatThis game is awesome! After updating the game with all the latest patches, I don't have any problem with it whatsoever. The patch also improves things like automatic putting injured soldiers to the hospital so I don't have to micro-manage it. The patched AI seemed to be very challenging and sometimes I have to completely change my strategy to complete the mission. I hope that the development team will continue their good work in improving the game and at the same time put in some effort to make a sequel! Expand
  14. AnonEmouse
    Jan 20, 2008
    Cannot get it to run under dual core Vista(64). Valve wont support it, and Altar can't offer anything that will actually get it to work because they don't know how Steam works with it. Setting affinity doesnt work and neither do any of the little apps people suggest (Runfirst etc.). If you have Vista and a multi core cpu, AVOID THIS LIKE THE PLAGUE!
  15. MarkM.
    Dec 18, 2007
    Plain and simple review: When it comes to strategy, I like the war aspect. But, frustrating management of individual characters, especially when the civilization starts growing, gets ultra annoying. I shouldnt be the one responsible for doing every little thing for the characters, like putting them in the hospital. That should happen automatically in a strategy game. Thing like that Plain and simple review: When it comes to strategy, I like the war aspect. But, frustrating management of individual characters, especially when the civilization starts growing, gets ultra annoying. I shouldnt be the one responsible for doing every little thing for the characters, like putting them in the hospital. That should happen automatically in a strategy game. Thing like that really bug me. Let me upgrade my war weapons and fight already! Collapse
    Dec 1, 2007
    This is one of the best 'new' strategy games to come out. I played it all the way through twice. I would recommend this game to anyone who likes strategic management of a simulated colony or turn based tactical combat. I had to ding its score by a point due to a memory leak that the game suffers. After a few hours of gameplay the tactical combat game takes a very long time to This is one of the best 'new' strategy games to come out. I played it all the way through twice. I would recommend this game to anyone who likes strategic management of a simulated colony or turn based tactical combat. I had to ding its score by a point due to a memory leak that the game suffers. After a few hours of gameplay the tactical combat game takes a very long time to load. The best solution to this is to save, exit the game, and relaunch. Otherwise, I'ld say this is a very excellent game with a decent repaly value. Well worth your money. Expand
  17. Muz
    Sep 25, 2007
    Great game. But don't compare it to X-Com, the UFO and X-Com series are very different. Unlike the first of the UFO games, almost everything in Afterlight has changed drastically, from the research to base management to unit training and combat. I'd recommend it for any fan of research and tactical combat.
  18. StevenB.
    Jul 27, 2007
    Very good game, very much like the 'X' series, much better graphics and loads more options.
  19. KevinA.
    Jul 21, 2007
    A great continuation on a long running series. Interface is easy to learn and in-depth, and the story and research tree is deep enough to hold more than passing interest.
  20. MojmirK.
    Jun 24, 2007
    Great game. 3D engine is realy great.
  21. KonradW.
    May 20, 2007
    Fantastic game, great successor of UFO: Enemy Unknown, Terror From The Deep, not to mention Aftermath or Aftershock. However I miss the crazy artwork on the science & tech research where it shown aliens on the table and or locked away, etc. It just added another story layer, where in Afterlight it's seems to be simplified. In the end great game, worth spending countless nights, Fantastic game, great successor of UFO: Enemy Unknown, Terror From The Deep, not to mention Aftermath or Aftershock. However I miss the crazy artwork on the science & tech research where it shown aliens on the table and or locked away, etc. It just added another story layer, where in Afterlight it's seems to be simplified. In the end great game, worth spending countless nights, trying to beat the aliens in the field as well as in the lab. 2 Thumbs up, if there was a multiplayer (co-op play or Player vs. Player), I would give it 3 thumbs up. Expand
  22. MichaelR
    Apr 7, 2007
    Excellent game. Possibly the best in the UFO series.
  23. Ben
    Apr 6, 2007
    If you enjoy the UFO series this game is for you. It won't however appeal to players who dislike micromanagement because of the focus on individual characters in detailed play. If UFO terror from the deep stoaked your fire this game will make you one seriously happy dude... Overall a fantastic game that my girlfriend already hates because of the time i spend on it >:)
  24. JamesS.
    Feb 22, 2007
    Awesome game from Altar keep up the good work and next time lets see some random map generation so quell the repetitive comments.
  25. ChristopherB.
    Feb 11, 2007
    Fantastic game and a brilliant follow up to both Aftermath and Aftershock. Taking the best elements from both of it's predecessors, Afterlight takes the series to a new level by being much deeper, richer and smoother to play. Overall, a fantastic game.
  26. LukasK.
    Feb 6, 2007
    Good. But not much better from Aftershock. The grapgick look more childs. But some new visions looks great. And when I switch off almost all graphic enhancements a play it on 30 fps on Radeon 9600. 512 Mb RAM. 2200 Athlon XP. And that's quite good. There are some improvements in the game that's look "funny". Because it's simply comeback of "UFO Enemy unknown" or "terror Good. But not much better from Aftershock. The grapgick look more childs. But some new visions looks great. And when I switch off almost all graphic enhancements a play it on 30 fps on Radeon 9600. 512 Mb RAM. 2200 Athlon XP. And that's quite good. There are some improvements in the game that's look "funny". Because it's simply comeback of "UFO Enemy unknown" or "terror from the deep" in new graphic. Only enemy looks different. My decision is buy it if you like UFO strategy. You won't regret. Expand

1. Overall UFO: Afterlight provides a very worthwhile time investment as the reward you reap is a deep and intriguing strategy game with the kind of RPG elements that add a less geeky feel to it - a surprise hit with us.
  2. A great game that you’ll find yourself unable to step away from because you have to research one thing more, or expand to one more territory.
  3. Yes, you'll find sleeker interfaces and more engaging gunfights in titles such as "Silent Storm," "Faces of War," and "Jagged Alliance 2," but none of those games come with anything half as involved or absorbing as Afterlight's amazing strategic layer.