UFO: Extraterrestrials PC

7.1

1. Jul 4, 2014
    Although having implemented the lite version of a community mod, the game is still a buggy mess.

This means the game itself doesn't really worth a dent.
  2. SeanD.
    Nov 21, 2007
    I wanted to like this game, I desperately did. Something about it, I just couldn't get into it. I am a massive fan of the X-Com series, and it rings fairly true to UFO Defense. The controls are annoying, but manageable, and from what I can tell, there are mods to take care of that problem. Some of what I've seen calls this UFO Defense with a graphics update, but to me the I wanted to like this game, I desperately did. Something about it, I just couldn't get into it. I am a massive fan of the X-Com series, and it rings fairly true to UFO Defense. The controls are annoying, but manageable, and from what I can tell, there are mods to take care of that problem. Some of what I've seen calls this UFO Defense with a graphics update, but to me the graphics are ugly and horrific. They honestly ruined the game for me, I'm not one to be picky about graphics, but they completely ruined it for me. I realize this isn't a major studio game, but that's no excuse, there are games from outside the main studios that still look good. I actually uninstalled this and started searching for user-made patches for X-com so I could run it on my computer. As for the complaint calling normal difficulty like insane, if you played the old X-Com games, then you expect it to be hard regardless of what difficulty setting. If you can get past the ugly look of it, and the unwealdy controls, there is something good underneath. As for me, I'll stick with UFO Defense and Terror from the Deep(which by the way is on steam for $5). Expand

UFO: Extraterrestrials has largely managed to capture the elements that made X-COM such a classic and iconic game. Almost nothing about the game can labeled as innovative or revolutionary, but it is such a well packaged refinement of a proven formula that it is hard to complain.
  2. The best that can be said about the game is that its sci-fi atmosphere and smart artificial intelligence make it a somewhat acceptable way for the desperate to whittle away a couple of dozen hours waiting for someone to finally do a proper remake of "X-COM."
  3. Overall the game is well done and will be very much enjoyed by fans of the classic X:COM games and anyone who enjoys tactical combats.