8.6

1. Oct 14, 2011
    THE greatest MMO of all time (before they messed it up). The amount of fun times I had on Chesapeak and Catskills servers ... it was just amazing. I spent many sleepless nights playing this game. It had no item leveling, raiding and lacked most features of modern MMOs, but the guild vs guild atmosphere was unique, I've never seen it in any other MMO since then. The player politics and community is what made it the best MMO experience I've had, and I've played most of the big MMOs on the market. Expand
  2. Aug 14, 2011
    Still fun after XX amount of years. Sandbox environment leaves to a lot more creativity / fun compared to other more modern MMORPGs. The quality gameplay most definitely makes up for any "outdated" graphics comparisons.
  3. Oct 25, 2011
    I played this game on and off for years since it came out in 1997. It is one I simply always find myself drawn back into. While almost EVERYTHING about the game has changed since it's release, the core of UO remains the freedom of play, not seen in instanced games like WOW.
  4. Oct 23, 2013
    This is my all time favorite MMORPG. UO is very addictive, even with it's dated graphics. I've come across no other game which gives you the amount of items to collect and things to do. I've been playing since 2000 and don't plan on closing my account anytime soon.

Just to name a few features, there is custom housing, player run towns, guilds, player vendors, boats, quests and lots
    of places to explore and things to do. UO holds a place in my heart that no other game will be able to replace! Expand
  5. Jul 17, 2012
    A true sandbox mmorpg that still has official and tons of free shards with various rule sets around. Be a crafter hunt monsters and treasures. Ultima online is famous for it's timing based pvp system. The graphics are of course a bit dated but even today it's hard to beat Ultima online when it comes to gameplay.
  6. Oct 25, 2012
    It seems this game has generally favourable reviews, and I would guess the reason is that the only people still reviewing it are people who have been playing it the most part of 15 years and still enjoy it. 13-15 years ago, I would've given this game a 10/10, ironically this was also when the game suffered from more bugs and lag that you can imagine.

UO was one of a kind but opted to
    become a clone of more modern, graphically superior, grind-type MMOs. Give the players "content" to complete, with very large rewards, rather than making it a complete sandbox that people lived and breathed in. Where true friendships were formed and for every friend you had, there were another 5 people scheming your demise. Expand

1. Ultima fanatics might stick with it, but most players will give up in frustration. [Jan 1998, p.262]
  2. This is one game that might become a classic, but it isn't one now, despite a New York Times story on the front page of the business section. A game that requires a credit card and Internet access before the player can get even a glimpse of what's going on had better be incredibly engrossing or at least immediately accessible. Ultima Online is neither. The "undoubted future of interactive entertainment"? God forbid. At best, it might eventually grow into a solid, mature game that delivers the goods, but for now, caveat emptor.
  3. Yes it's expensive, and it has some serious problems that need immediate attention, but it can't be denied that Ultima Online is a unique, intriguing, thoroughly enjoyable gaming experience -- once you learn how to play, and accept it for what it is.