8.7

1. SamW.
    Aug 10, 2007
    This game is incredibly addictive, and the new release, Kingdoms Reborn, has great graphics for an MMORPG, as well as nice additional features that hadn't previously existed. There are nice quests throughout the game that you can choose, following various storylines, but you are also free to choose your own path as an animal tamer, a mage, a warrior, a blacksmith, carpenter, tailor, This game is incredibly addictive, and the new release, Kingdoms Reborn, has great graphics for an MMORPG, as well as nice additional features that hadn't previously existed. There are nice quests throughout the game that you can choose, following various storylines, but you are also free to choose your own path as an animal tamer, a mage, a warrior, a blacksmith, carpenter, tailor, or even a ninja. You can decide, and nothing is permanent. The leveling system is great, too, becuase there are no level ups. You simply slowly gain skill the more you use a certain skill. Fighting will slowly improve your swordsmanship (or other weapon choice), tactics, anatomy, and, if you have a shield, parrying skills, while also raising your strength and dexterity. A bit complicated at first, but once you are comfortable with the game, there is no end to how many lands you can explore, and all the fun you cna have. Expand
  2. Oct 14, 2011
    THE greatest MMO of all time (before they messed it up). The amount of fun times I had on Chesapeak and Catskills servers ... it was just amazing. I spent many sleepless nights playing this game. It had no item leveling, raiding and lacked most features of modern MMOs, but the guild vs guild atmosphere was unique, I've never seen it in any other MMO since then. The player politics andTHE greatest MMO of all time (before they messed it up). The amount of fun times I had on Chesapeak and Catskills servers ... it was just amazing. I spent many sleepless nights playing this game. It had no item leveling, raiding and lacked most features of modern MMOs, but the guild vs guild atmosphere was unique, I've never seen it in any other MMO since then. The player politics and community is what made it the best MMO experience I've had, and I've played most of the big MMOs on the market. Expand
  3. Oct 25, 2011
    I played this game on and off for years since it came out in 1997. It is one I simply always find myself drawn back into. While almost EVERYTHING about the game has changed since it's release, the core of UO remains the freedom of play, not seen in instanced games like WOW.
  4. AnonymousMC
    Jul 22, 2008
    Simply the best MMORPG ever to be created. That is a fact. UO sent a benchmark for all of them, even WoW. It had the best community, economy and the intensity of guild fights and Order/Chaos battles was matched by no other online game. Period. Even starting off was so much fun. Most people created a warrior and went to the graveyards to train up and collect small ammounts of gold fromSimply the best MMORPG ever to be created. That is a fact. UO sent a benchmark for all of them, even WoW. It had the best community, economy and the intensity of guild fights and Order/Chaos battles was matched by no other online game. Period. Even starting off was so much fun. Most people created a warrior and went to the graveyards to train up and collect small ammounts of gold from zombies, skeletons etc to get started. Some even opted for a blacksmith to actually provide stuff for the community. It was risky business everytime one set foot out of town, dungeons (for hunting various monsters) became a place of uncertainty as a murderer player could pop up at any minute. This is all gone now as EA have ruined the amazing work that was put into it during Beta and up to 1999 as Trammel was eventually added and the awful ninja, samurai scheme with all the special moves eventually destroyed the classic, dark medieval feel. It's all about free servers though like Defiance, UO Divinity and the like. Don't miss out on this game but make sure if you are going to join, join a free server and not EA's as it is not fun at all in it's current state! Expand
  5. AnonymousMC
    Jul 3, 2009
    best game ever made, and that's no exaggeration... its been 12 years and counting and people are still addicted; although the original game has since been terrorized with a bunch of unpopular decisions (limiting pvp, etc), the third party servers are still insanely popular... the only game where there is a real estate market
  6. AnonymousMC
    Nov 15, 2007
    laawl great graphics u say ?? bullshit the graphics suck so bad ... still its the gameplay that gets u addicted to ultima online .... really great but still the graphics are so out of date .... btw if u think about starting to play dont play on the official servers cuz theres freeshards aswell ... try WWW.DEFIANCEUO.COM !!! BEST FREESHARD THERE IS AT THE MOMENT
  7. Aug 14, 2011
    Still fun after XX amount of years. Sandbox environment leaves to a lot more creativity / fun compared to other more modern MMORPGs. The quality gameplay most definitely makes up for any "outdated" graphics comparisons.
  8. Oct 23, 2013
    This is my all time favorite MMORPG. UO is very addictive, even with it's dated graphics. I've come across no other game which gives you the amount of items to collect and things to do. I've been playing since 2000 and don't plan on closing my account anytime soon.

Just to name a few features, there is custom housing, player run towns, guilds, player vendors, boats, quests and lots of places to explore and things to do. UO holds a place in my heart that no other game will be able to replace!
  9. Jul 17, 2012
    A true sandbox mmorpg that still has official and tons of free shards with various rule sets around. Be a crafter hunt monsters and treasures. Ultima online is famous for it's timing based pvp system. The graphics are of course a bit dated but even today it's hard to beat Ultima online when it comes to gameplay.

1. Ultima fanatics might stick with it, but most players will give up in frustration. [Jan 1998, p.262]
  2. This is one game that might become a classic, but it isn't one now, despite a New York Times story on the front page of the business section. A game that requires a credit card and Internet access before the player can get even a glimpse of what's going on had better be incredibly engrossing or at least immediately accessible. Ultima Online is neither. The "undoubted future of interactive entertainment"? God forbid. At best, it might eventually grow into a solid, mature game that delivers the goods, but for now, caveat emptor.
  3. Yes it's expensive, and it has some serious problems that need immediate attention, but it can't be denied that Ultima Online is a unique, intriguing, thoroughly enjoyable gaming experience -- once you learn how to play, and accept it for what it is.