7.1

1. Mar 2, 2012
    Playing Unity of Command since beta test. I am very pleased with this game. Design, artificial intelligence and user interface are the best I've seen among turn based wargames. Research and gameplay are really good also, and I wonder how such small independent studio (two guys basically!!) made such solid, stable and interesting game that is suitable for newcomers and veterans ofPlaying Unity of Command since beta test. I am very pleased with this game. Design, artificial intelligence and user interface are the best I've seen among turn based wargames. Research and gameplay are really good also, and I wonder how such small independent studio (two guys basically!!) made such solid, stable and interesting game that is suitable for newcomers and veterans of wargaming. But yeah, nobody is perfect, so better multiplayer system and ability to undo last move would make Unity of Command even better. The good thing is that actually developers actively support their game so we can expect more ecxiting news in future. Expand
  2. Jun 25, 2012
    Wow, How did i miss this one? i like war games, but many are too much for me to learn, this is incredibly deep but surprisingly easy to learn, glad i spotted this one. Has a lot of scenarios to play, and seems to be a big community. For a wargame it is beautiful, normally we are use to 20 year old sprites but this one has a perfect UI and graphics, challenging, elegent game, Superb!
  3. Oct 19, 2012
    For something that was 14 euros on Steam, this is a very solid strategy game. I've only played a little bit of it, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot. It's a fairly simple game, but getting into it might take you a little while. The visuals in the game work very well, and the interface is nice and 'clean'. You control a number of different divisions during the invasion of Russia. WhenFor something that was 14 euros on Steam, this is a very solid strategy game. I've only played a little bit of it, but so far I'm enjoying it a lot. It's a fairly simple game, but getting into it might take you a little while. The visuals in the game work very well, and the interface is nice and 'clean'. You control a number of different divisions during the invasion of Russia. When advancing towards your objectives, you need to consider the consequences of what you're doing - if your supply line is broken, you're going to have a tough time, because without supplies your units can't attack. The game allows a lot of different tactical options, which is very good. You'll have to get a bit smart in order to defeat your enemy, because the game is fairly challenging. The game seems like it lacks a little polish - a few changes would've made the game more convenient.

If you're a fan of turnbased strategy, or strategy in general, this is a must buy for this price.
  4. Apr 6, 2012
    Pros:

1. Beautifully crafted flawless game engine 2. Game concepts are abstract, without being oversimplified 3. Easy to learn, but hard to master universe 4. The game provides a deep challenge in both logistics and tactics 5. Game art is minimalistic, but elegant 6. Very well balanced challenging scenarios 6. The multiplayer option provides challenges for hardcore users 7. The
    Pros:

1. Beautifully crafted flawless game engine
    2. Game concepts are abstract, without being oversimplified
    3. Easy to learn, but hard to master universe
    4. The game provides a deep challenge in both logistics and tactics
    5. Game art is minimalistic, but elegant
    6. Very well balanced challenging scenarios
    6. The multiplayer option provides challenges for hardcore users
    7. The savegame dynamic mechanics add to the game complexity (such as limit save/load abuses)
    8. Easy to mod a scenario
    9. Plenty potential for further improvement and development

Cons: 1. Game frustratingly asks for gamekey more than once
    2. Game lacks depth in strategic level i.e. decisions that will affect the long term progress of the campaign. Currently, strategic decisions are limited to banking prestige and requesting elite units from Stavka or OKW reserve.
    3. The game is very short you can finish the whole game in 10 hours. It really feels like an extended demo/
    4. Campaign feels more like patching together different scenarios without any real connection between them
    5. The finale is disappointing. In fact, it is utterly absent.
    6. Inflicting heavy losses on the enemy and minimize own casualties is irrelevant for gaining or losing prestige. There is a certain scenario, that the own way to achieve BV is by sacrificing your whole army...
    7. Air combat is not existent. There is no concept as air superiority. The influence of air strikes is practically minimal.
    8. Not possible to mod a campaign at the moment
  5. Sep 1, 2012
    This is a great game that revives a genre that's been dying over the years. The mechanics are simple yet complex (see what I did there?) enough to add a deep strategic level to each scenario. I hope more titles like this start to appear out there.
  6. Nov 3, 2012
    Thanks Steam, I'd never have found this otherwise. Great game system without the die rolling of old hex games. A.I is strong, you don't feel the A.I is cheating to beat you.Keep it going guys. Easy to learn but hard to master. Boombastic raises the only issue and the save game/progression style needs to be tweaked a little.
  7. Mar 8, 2013
    This is a very enjoyable and relatively simple tactical WW2 game pitting the Germans vs the Red Army on the Eastern Front. I note that the user that said that you have to entirely repeat the campaigns if you lose is wrong in his statement. I admit it's a little confusing to figure out, but you merely need to restart the mission and meet the victory conditions. The game is inexpensive, andThis is a very enjoyable and relatively simple tactical WW2 game pitting the Germans vs the Red Army on the Eastern Front. I note that the user that said that you have to entirely repeat the campaigns if you lose is wrong in his statement. I admit it's a little confusing to figure out, but you merely need to restart the mission and meet the victory conditions. The game is inexpensive, and I've played and enjoyed it far more than any other game I've purchased in years. It's mainly single player, but has multi-player via capability via internet for all the scenarios (you need to arrange the multiplayer match thru means other than the game for you to find the other party). I think the game has some minor flaws, and there is room for tons of other features if they could be thought of and implemented, but I really have to say that if you like tactical games you should not skip this one because it is challenging and unique. It is NOT a Hearts of Iron type game or the like, it is far less complex and mainly focuses on theatre tactics. Expand
  8. Dec 16, 2013
    This game is exactly what wargamers have been looking for from a computer wargame!

Not as complex as Gary Grigsby's massive (but great) games and not as simple as Panzer General. This is a subtly deep system which rewards careful play with those hard-to-achieve "Brilliant Victory" rewards! Multiplayer can also work but to be honest it is set up for solo play primarily. I was also

I was also amazed that this is produced by a four person company somewhere in Croatia, the hotbed of computer game design!

Buy it on sale direct from them or on Steam and you won't be disappointed! Looking forward to further DLC and applications of the system.

Highly recommended!
  9. Oct 15, 2013
    Experience the highly fluid, enormously large battles of maneuver in a turn-based strategy setting. Take command in this mobile, back-and-forth sort of war where logistics and poor weather are often the decider, and defeat and victory are sometimes just a mile, or a day, apart.
    War-games this fresh and friendly tend to inspire deep loyalty.
  10. Feb 17, 2014
    Simple, Brutal and addictive as crack. I am usually don't care about achievements or perfection when playing a game i have very little gaming time and i want to make it count. But this game forces you to play on its terms. It does a great a job of balancing the need for a strong offensive while planning your supply lines turn in advance. The AI is brutal and unforgiving if you areSimple, Brutal and addictive as crack. I am usually don't care about achievements or perfection when playing a game i have very little gaming time and i want to make it count. But this game forces you to play on its terms. It does a great a job of balancing the need for a strong offensive while planning your supply lines turn in advance. The AI is brutal and unforgiving if you are careless it will rip you in half. There will also be times when bad luck with weather or when combat goes against your plans that your will be forced to replay the scenario but thats life and war. However this game has the magic formula that will keep you coming back. Its easy to start, very hard to master and when you do win you are actually proud of yourself. Also this game runs like a dream on a MacBook Air or any ultrabook without killing the battery. I actually look foward to long flight because of this. Expand
  11. Mar 12, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unity of Command by 2X2 Games is the best turn-based strategy wargame I have played in years. Every so often a game comes along and I just go crazy for it, as I did with UoC. I am admittedly late to the party, having just found the game and its DLC three months ago; but doggedly making up for lost time every day.

My wargame tastes run to the turn-based. I might be considered an old-timer in the video game world by today's kids. But I consider myself a pioneer, an original gamer, an OG, or just a G as they say in some neighborhoods. I'm of the generation labeled with the ever so flattering label of X, as if we needed any more reason to feel disillusioned. There is a big, giant X over all of us, voiding us out. Great, thanks World.

Regardless, having played my fair share of real-time and turn-based wargames on all manner of devices, I feel edified enough to firmly plant myself in the turn-based camp. My all-time favorites are the Civilization series, Korsun Pocket, Warlords, the Total War series. Those are my type of games - games you can sit with and strategize for as long as you want, go do something else for a few minutes, and come back to. Playing turn-based wargames is a more relaxing pursuit. Real-time can be fun no doubt, and I did love Rise of Nations and the Age of Empires games, but I've always preferred to play at the turn-based pace.

In UoC you play as either the Soviets or Germans on the Eastern Front of World War II. The base game and its two add-on DLCs, Black Turn and Red Turn, cover the action at the division level from the opening salvos of Operation Barbarossa in 1941 through to the ultimate defeat of the Germans and the capture of Berlin. Set piece battles include Kiev, Stalingrad, the great bulge battles around Kharkov, and crossing the major rivers, Dnieper and Dniester.

Historically, UoC is accurate enough. It may even be accurate down to the actual weather on the battlefields. Divisions are named and situated where I am confident they were during the real life battles. One gets a sense that the battles are designed to play out more or less as they did with Zhukov and Paulus at the helms. Movement and attack are on a hex grid and the mechanics of battle are straightforward and accessible. The game is very easy to pick up and play; the interface is intuitive and the screen space not overly cluttered. Information about your divisions, terrain, weather, enemy units, and supply, are all right at your finger tips. The battlefield graphics are good enough, not a distraction but not special either. They're good enough that they don't detract from the battlefield. The guts of the game are the almost two dozen scenarios provided, and the campaign that consists of these scenarios. This makes it easy to practice a scenario and get a feel for it before risking it during your campaign progress.

What sets this game apart and makes it so addictive is its easy-to-play-but difficult to master nature. At the start of each battle you are given geographic objectives to reach within a set number of turns. You are rewarded with prestige points for achieving these objectives on a sliding scale; 100 points if achieved on turn 3, less 25 points rewarded if done on turn 4, and so on. When playing the full campaign, prestige points can be spent on reinforcements, the proper use of which can be the difference between victory and defeat. I cannot stress enough how fiendishly difficult it is to achieve these objectives on time. There is always a way, but it is never obvious. Solutions will be revealed and brilliant victories achieved by practicing, learning the intricacies of the gameplay and getting experience with the scenarios. UoC encourages creative strategic thinking, “How the hell am I going to get my tanks to Rostov by turn 4?!” It challenges you to find the weak points in the enemy line, the soft underbelly, and attack it. Flanking moves and surrounding maneuvers are crucial to victory and used widely and to great effect by victorious armchair generals.

Speaking of supply, the algorithm that controls the supply mechanics is brilliant. I haven't played a game that incorporated the strategic use of supply (and the utterly desperate dependence troops have on it) as well as UoC does. The supply system radiating out from depots and slithering along the railroads is vital to your advances. It acts as a bungee cord, a leash, pulling you back, restraining your daring dashes into the enemy's rear. But don't ever forget, supply is just as important to the enemy, and if you are playing the AI and you cut their lines, it will respond; it has to.

Unity of Command has officially taken place along-side my wargame all-time greats. It's a five star game, 100/100 on that scale. Put simply, it is fantastic.

1. Mar 20, 2012
    Unity of Command is a good turn based strategy game: so difficult but so accurate and deep. A must have for all fans of this genre, but a little bit too difficult for all others.
  2. Mar 17, 2012
    An interesting and challenging strategy title that will make hardcore fans of the genre happy.
  3. Mar 9, 2012
    This strategy game is a real gem. It's easy to learn and play, very smart and – thanks to a really evil computer opponent – very challenging. I just wish it had a bit more content, especially in the multiplayer department, but don't let that stop you from giving it a go.