Universe at War: Earth Assault PC

8.5

1. MarkoP.
    Jan 20, 2008
    The game is a standard RTS set in the very near future with different gameplay for each of the 3 assymetric factions. what takes this game apart is the ability to change your tactics on the fly through the use of tactical dynamics, adapting to each of the battlefield conditions. a win for all looking for something new to the genre. :)
  2. Jake
    Jan 21, 2008
    Uber scifi goodness. By far some of the best unit and faction design since Starcraft.
  3. Gonlo
    Jan 5, 2008
    Fun game to the end. the races are really awesome and fun. multiplayer and skirmish are great to play after you've beaten the campaign.
  4. Sephl
    Jan 7, 2008
    Because I generally dislike RTS games, I was surprised that I really liked this one. The bottom line: if you like RTS, you will like this game. If you like Starcraft, you will like this game. Even if you don't like RTS, at least give this one a try (as long as you enjoy aliens blowing up everything mankind has worked thousands of years to create).
  5. Gzod
    Jan 24, 2008
    Pure RTS fun! The faction design in UAW is some of the best since Starcraft.
  6. ArcLadthe
    Jan 5, 2008
    UAW is a shining example of flare and balance. I have not played an RTS in years that has factions as diverse and unique as this game. The balance in multiplayer is amazing and hard to believe they nailed it. I'm used to games like C&C 3 where it has 9 patches and the EA team still can't balance the game. Universe at war is a must buy for any RTS fan.
  7. Fahim
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sci-fi RTS never looked better (Starcraft excluded...obviously). Petroglyph has pulled out some serious stuff this time. As said earlier all three factions are nothing alike. Even the resourse gathering technology is different. (Target the masari resource gathering structure and watch a big boom!!!) Heroes really make a difference. Choosing right ability at right time can smoothen up a Sci-fi RTS never looked better (Starcraft excluded...obviously). Petroglyph has pulled out some serious stuff this time. As said earlier all three factions are nothing alike. Even the resourse gathering technology is different. (Target the masari resource gathering structure and watch a big boom!!!) Heroes really make a difference. Choosing right ability at right time can smoothen up a lot of things (Use Mirabels sniper shot at the core of a walker and enjoy an early christmas!!!) The tech tree really gives a different type of gameplay as you can only research up to 6 options out of 12. this gives a different tactics each time you play and choosing different options gives you different bonuses. All around a great RTS. Expand
  8. RADestroyer
    Nov 20, 2007
    Hands down one of the best RTS games I've played all year. The factions are truly unique and fun to play. I love the tech trees and customization in the game. I recommend UAW to anyone who's looking for something new in the RTS genre and wants more than your standard RTS spam units and win game-play.
  9. MichaelR.
    Nov 23, 2007
    Awesome Game! Love the three unique sides. I really enjoyed being able to re-configure my giant walkers with new weapons during combat on the fly. I haven't see that done before in an RTS. Also the giant walkers moving over mountains and various terrain was very fluid, again haven't see than done well until UAW. The graphics are great to maxed out in high detail.. A keeper in my Awesome Game! Love the three unique sides. I really enjoyed being able to re-configure my giant walkers with new weapons during combat on the fly. I haven't see that done before in an RTS. Also the giant walkers moving over mountains and various terrain was very fluid, again haven't see than done well until UAW. The graphics are great to maxed out in high detail.. A keeper in my book. Great job Petroglyph. Expand
  10. FragdollM.
    Dec 14, 2007
    Love the game, best RTS with unique factions out there. multiplayer is hands down one of the best, I have yet to have any problems matching, unlike C&C 3 which never seems to work.
  11. ChristophH.
    Dec 18, 2007
    At first I was really sceptical about this. Looking at the screenshots I thought that it was way too colorful, but what I figured out now, instead is that the other games are just way too black & white. This game reminds me so much of the Command and Conquer we used to love, back in the days when Westwood was still around and not bought by E.
  12. MarcoP.
    Dec 19, 2007
    UAW is one of the best, if not best RTS out there! 3 different und 100% unique sides. play either as the mighty hierachy, using gigantic walkers of doom. The ai faction called novus, which are able to use flowlines to travel fast across the wohle map, kinda like using the Internet! and than you have the massari a ancient faction, 3 times older than the hierachy, thats also the reason why UAW is one of the best, if not best RTS out there! 3 different und 100% unique sides. play either as the mighty hierachy, using gigantic walkers of doom. The ai faction called novus, which are able to use flowlines to travel fast across the wohle map, kinda like using the Internet! and than you have the massari a ancient faction, 3 times older than the hierachy, thats also the reason why they have alot of 1337 units and the best defense! And now...BUY IT! Expand
  13. IvanP.
    Dec 28, 2007
    UAW is a solid RTS with tons of game-play. My 10 rating comes from the fact that they manage to create 3 totally distinct factions and still have a balanced and fun multiplayer game. I look forward to crushing those XBOX 360 players in the near future.
  14. FilipO.
    Dec 4, 2007
    Mixed with the experience from C&C, with Frank Klepackis music this game is a true masterpiece. The balance and difference between three factions haven't been seen like this since Starcraft. Every match varies from the other, and playing this game will never be boring. I strongly recommend this to any fan om the RTS-series, and especially C&C.
  15. Dylon
    Dec 5, 2007
    UAW is a great RTS with tons of new features to the genre. My favorite thing most of all is that the game requires unit mixing for maximum force. This is a huge boost over other generic RTS (C&C 3) which require you to build really quick and spam the same unit over and over. A lot of thought went into this game and it shows, multiplayer is the best.
  16. RolandG.
    Jan 12, 2008
    No problems here. On a pretty powerful laptop, no crashes bugs or lag. Graphics are great and gamreplay is silky smooth. Perfect game to hold you over till SC2.
  17. KellerW.
    Jan 15, 2008
    Universe at war shines, proving that old school RTS still rocks a genre filled with gimicky and generic RTS games like World in Conflict.
  18. OsakaH.
    Jan 18, 2008
    Brilliant multiplayer and factions. By far one of the better balanced and more unique RTS games I've played as of late.
  19. AlexP.
    Jan 19, 2008
    Game has good graphics and is fun it runs a little slow on my old machine but i enjoy playing it with my friend microsoft live is not very good, but you can get around that pretty easy.
  20. BobN.
    Jan 3, 2008
    Ignore the reviews on this one... You have to be pretty jaded not to enjoy this game. It's been a long times since anything new was introduced to RTS, and UaW is the only one in a long time to actually do something different. The factions are all cool, and completely different.
  21. KyleS.
    Feb 16, 2008
    What can I say, UAW is great fun. It has some of the most balanced RTS multiplayer for a game with only 1 patch. Each side in UAW is very unique and plays so differently. This is so unlike other games in the genre that mask bad faction design with pretty graphics or increased zoom features. My friends and I can't stop playing this game, it has now taking the place of Dawn of War in our dorm.
  22. AlexM
    Jul 13, 2008
    it's a long time since I played such a great RTS. UaW is like a breath of fresh air after the dull and disappointing CNC3 (and I am a big fan of C&C series).
  23. FrankT.
    Nov 21, 2007
    Universe at War: Earth Assault has three main features that catch the eye. 1.) Frank Klepacki's music. Frank Klepacki ,known as the creator of Hell's March and various other classic cnc music, has created 3 unique flavors for UaW. The Hierarchy has a rock base theme. The Novus has electronica. The Masari have this epic orchestral sound 2.) Tactical Dynamics. Ever realize your Universe at War: Earth Assault has three main features that catch the eye. 1.) Frank Klepacki's music. Frank Klepacki ,known as the creator of Hell's March and various other classic cnc music, has created 3 unique flavors for UaW. The Hierarchy has a rock base theme. The Novus has electronica. The Masari have this epic orchestral sound 2.) Tactical Dynamics. Ever realize your air force will be slaughtered cause the enemy? Well if your faction happens to be masari you can switch to dark mode for additional defense plus landing your ground troops. All factions have unique ways of dealing with potential problems of other factions 3.) Simple Clean UI. The UI may be small, but it's clean, noncluttered which is a result of the xbox port. There are nice features, but this game isn't perfect. There are some path finding issues and Games for Windows certainly isn't a totally positive experience. Overall this game deserves anywhere from a 9 to 10. Expand
  24. ChrisM.
    Nov 23, 2007
    From the Developers of Star Wars Empire at War with a collective talent Spanning the Best of the RTS Genre comes UNIVERSE AT WAR: EARTH ASSAULT. Earth is Invaded and Humanity Brought to its knees in this Melee Invasion in which you play as One of 3 different Alien Factions. Do you protect, destroy or follow your own agenda? This game is an Awesomely creative game with Tactical Dynamics From the Developers of Star Wars Empire at War with a collective talent Spanning the Best of the RTS Genre comes UNIVERSE AT WAR: EARTH ASSAULT. Earth is Invaded and Humanity Brought to its knees in this Melee Invasion in which you play as One of 3 different Alien Factions. Do you protect, destroy or follow your own agenda? This game is an Awesomely creative game with Tactical Dynamics that allows you to customise your factions' armies on the fly, from the Research Tree to the Armaments and patches on your units. I'd mark this game as possibly the greatest RTS since the Original C&C, better than StarCraft!! Expand
  25. AndrewB.
    Nov 26, 2007
    This is honestly one of the first RTSs to come out that really forces you to actually mix units and not just spam one type. The customization is amazing especially with the Hierarchy walkers. I strongly suggest this game to anyone that has ever found some interest in the RTS gametype.
  26. FloydB.
    Nov 29, 2007
    Being a big C&C fan I was skeptical at first. How could anything be better than C&C 3? Well Universe at War made me a believer. Everything about UAW oozes depth and tactics. Players can customize their technology on the fly through one of the best research systems I've seen in years. It beats C&C 3 plop a tech center down and call it a day mechanic. Every faction is totally unique Being a big C&C fan I was skeptical at first. How could anything be better than C&C 3? Well Universe at War made me a believer. Everything about UAW oozes depth and tactics. Players can customize their technology on the fly through one of the best research systems I've seen in years. It beats C&C 3 plop a tech center down and call it a day mechanic. Every faction is totally unique and unlike the other. Like many others have said, we've haven't seen this really since Starcraft. The GUI is very streamlined and clean, you could tell the devs got rid of all the things players didn't really need and gave them more screen to play with. Overall, UAW is an awesome game that I would recommend to anyone. I can honestly say C&C 3 is now shelved and UAW is occupying my time. Expand
  27. Rogue9
    Feb 11, 2008
    The balance in UAW is some of the best i've seen in an RTS that has three different sides. The gameplay is very fun and UAW is a hit for LAN games with friends.
  28. apop
    Aug 31, 2008
    Best game I've played in a VERY long time, The soundtrack effects and voices are great. The storyline oozes with personality and I'm loving every minute of the campaign. Don't let the poor reviews fool you, The current game has been patched 3 times and although the initial release may have been buggy, the same could be said of many things. If you've been playing every Best game I've played in a VERY long time, The soundtrack effects and voices are great. The storyline oozes with personality and I'm loving every minute of the campaign. Don't let the poor reviews fool you, The current game has been patched 3 times and although the initial release may have been buggy, the same could be said of many things. If you've been playing every RTS since Dune II like I have you're in for a treat. It really is a fantastic game. Expand
  29. Mcneal
    Jan 10, 2008
    Finally an RTS game where all three factions have different play styles, functionality, and personality. Who would have thought this possible after generic games like C&C 3 and SupCom. UAW is a fine fine game worth checking, simply for the fact that all three factions are truly unique and a blast to play online.
  30. AaronK
    Dec 27, 2009
    Addictive sci-fi RTS rocks my socks with its epic feel and cool sci-fi styles and archetypes. Dig it.
  31. MarkM
    Dec 18, 2007
    This is no popularity review. I don't believe this is purely just another of the same old RTS. Come on, you must be totally missing the point of new ideas and features Mr. Orange. This takes ideas, of course from previous RTS, but most sci fi rts of the past are FAILED OR PARTLY FAILED CRAP, and I think this is the game to finally do it right, and also something for STARCRAFT fans. ItThis is no popularity review. I don't believe this is purely just another of the same old RTS. Come on, you must be totally missing the point of new ideas and features Mr. Orange. This takes ideas, of course from previous RTS, but most sci fi rts of the past are FAILED OR PARTLY FAILED CRAP, and I think this is the game to finally do it right, and also something for STARCRAFT fans. It has all the wonderful bells and wistles of awesome robo-techno tracks, amazing robotic-massacre-violence, large scale units, and advanced physics. But, I wouldn't say because of that, the game seems rushed, because it doesnt seem rushed. The gameplay feels like STARCRAFT, and other like it, but more advanced, and a little different. I TAKE THAT AS A GOOD THING, REALLY :). You don't have to like it Mr. Orange, but I'm just saying.... Expand
  32. FrederikM
    May 11, 2009
    I play lots of strategy games, And I give this one a 9. And I was surprised that this one was better than RA 3 I played RA 2 for 4 years, and it´s still one of the best. So I give this a thumb up.
  33. Mr.Blue
    Dec 13, 2007
    Single Player is fun, but multiplayer is where this game truly shines. Absolutely fantastic. Even the StarCraft fanboys should be impressed.
  34. JohnC.
    Jan 12, 2008
    For once an RTS that doesn't have mirrored factions with new skins. Game-play is solid and graphics are well done. It is also cool to see the giant walkers stomp over all types of terrain. In most RTS games the terrain is flat with impassable areas. The terrain in UAW has many different levels that allows the walkers unique opportunities for attacking fortified bases. Also, the game For once an RTS that doesn't have mirrored factions with new skins. Game-play is solid and graphics are well done. It is also cool to see the giant walkers stomp over all types of terrain. In most RTS games the terrain is flat with impassable areas. The terrain in UAW has many different levels that allows the walkers unique opportunities for attacking fortified bases. Also, the game runs fast on an windows XP system, so I'm happy. BTW, I love the achievement system, I can't stop playing, must have them all. My only gripe with UAW would be some minor unit pathing issues. Compared to games like C&C 3, these issues are hardly noticeable. Expand
  35. Blight
    Dec 15, 2007
    Universe at war has some of the best RTS game-play in years. After finishing the game and playing online, I was truly amazed at how balanced the game really is. You don't find that in games like Supreme Commander and C&C 3 (9 patches later), which have really shallow and generic unit designs and symetry across the factions. Kudos to the people that made this, UAW will be my game of Universe at war has some of the best RTS game-play in years. After finishing the game and playing online, I was truly amazed at how balanced the game really is. You don't find that in games like Supreme Commander and C&C 3 (9 patches later), which have really shallow and generic unit designs and symetry across the factions. Kudos to the people that made this, UAW will be my game of choice until Starcraft 2. Expand
  36. Doomtrooper
    Dec 17, 2007
    This game has the most unique and diverse factions I've ever seen. It's too bad the campaign doesn't do them justice.
  37. Wardealer
    Dec 28, 2007
    Having only played the Age series of RTS games I didn't think I would enjoy UAW, but I was open to trying something new. I must say crushing cities with the huge walkers is a blast, being able to easily add new weapons, armor or build units out of them is such a different way to play. Let's just say after a few skirmish games I went out and bought another copy for my son so that Having only played the Age series of RTS games I didn't think I would enjoy UAW, but I was open to trying something new. I must say crushing cities with the huge walkers is a blast, being able to easily add new weapons, armor or build units out of them is such a different way to play. Let's just say after a few skirmish games I went out and bought another copy for my son so that we can play over a LAN against the AI. Our only complaint is that we would love to have more cities to crush with our giant walkers. Also, those Achievements are so darn addicting to get, now I know why my son is always trying to get more. I highly recommend UAW. Expand
  38. PeteC.
    Dec 4, 2007
    I predict, after reading the strategy guide, campaingn walkerthroughs, and beta input that this game will be great for the RTS community. It desparetly needs a game like this one. the diversity of factions and "tactical dynamics" will be alot of great online gameplay. this doesnt seem to be the starcraft strategy of "mass all of one type of unit' (zerglings are an example). Hope the I predict, after reading the strategy guide, campaingn walkerthroughs, and beta input that this game will be great for the RTS community. It desparetly needs a game like this one. the diversity of factions and "tactical dynamics" will be alot of great online gameplay. this doesnt seem to be the starcraft strategy of "mass all of one type of unit' (zerglings are an example). Hope the game will be as fun as i foresee it. Expand
  39. SteveB.
    Jan 13, 2008
    The game is great, you can tell that it indeed has quality. The feel is almost as if I was playing the first command and conquer for the first time.
  40. Kyle
    Dec 12, 2007
    I actually was skeptical about buying this game, though when I played it, it was worth every penny. Tons of features and options not yet seen before in an RTS with great graphics. An RTS lover's must buy.
  41. JonL.
    Dec 13, 2007
    Gameplay is utterly amazing. Best RTS game in a LONG LONG time. Singleplayer is fairly standard. Interesting story, a bit campy. Multiplayer interface is aweful. Windows Live is basically featureless, and you have to pay for the necessary stuff like quickmatch system and ladder. Overall, it's a FANTASTIC game hampered by Microsoft. Go figure.
  42. DK
    Dec 26, 2007
    Very Good RTS, good single player, great multiplayer, good story, better than I hoped.
  43. NathanS.
    Dec 31, 2007
    UAW is indeed a very fun RTS both online and offline. I felt the campaign was very solid and engaging. I also found the hot key system and keyboard remapping to be very intuitive and easy to use. I'm surprised reviewers missed the fact the game has a majority of the basic features (waypoints, patrol, guard) other RTS games do, but instead of being on the UI, the went ahead and made UAW is indeed a very fun RTS both online and offline. I felt the campaign was very solid and engaging. I also found the hot key system and keyboard remapping to be very intuitive and easy to use. I'm surprised reviewers missed the fact the game has a majority of the basic features (waypoints, patrol, guard) other RTS games do, but instead of being on the UI, the went ahead and made them hot keys. This was nice as it streamlined the interface and gave the player more visible area on the battlefield. My top complaints would be walker responsivness could be better, the game could benefit from a structure queue system, and the replay viewer needs a GUI interface. Features that are easily addressed in a patch or two. UAW is a great game and buy for anyone who likes RTS games. Also, for a game that has three unique factions, the balance is the best I've seen an a RTS of this magnitude. Expand
  44. ErraticCommunist
    Dec 25, 2007
    A good, solid RTS, like everyone expected. Not exactly a revolution in the genre, but compared to Empire at War, Petroglyph has outdone themselves. There are three truly unique and different factions, each with innovative elements that have never been seen before. Shiny graphics that don't torture my outdated PC too much. Absolutely fantastic soundtrack (Frank Klepacki is god). And I A good, solid RTS, like everyone expected. Not exactly a revolution in the genre, but compared to Empire at War, Petroglyph has outdone themselves. There are three truly unique and different factions, each with innovative elements that have never been seen before. Shiny graphics that don't torture my outdated PC too much. Absolutely fantastic soundtrack (Frank Klepacki is god). And I think I'm one of the few that actually enjoyed the singleplayer, too. In my opinion, it was much more interesting than those of any comparable RTS and kept me playing till 4 AM, something that rarely happens with me. So even without multiplayer, which I sadly cannot enjoy for now, UaW was a sure cure for my boredom. Though there are some annoying moments in the game, to this moment I enjoy UaW as much, if not more than C&C3 and Supreme Commander. Bravo. Westwood lives in death! Expand
  45. Aug 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I like playing supreme commander 2 , dawn of war 2,supreme commander forged alliance and about all rts games. Universe at war earth assault is one of my favorite and if you like games that have good graphics ,very different factions and many-scale units ,like supreme commander (2 and the older one), universe at war is the game you will love Expand
  46. Jul 26, 2013
    Aliens invade Earth, only seen that one done two or three times before... Saddly, I really do enjoy this game but find it hard to do it justice on paper, some units have trouble path finding, unit cloaking can be unreliable, and the air units are over powered as hell! But, I still love this game somehow.. The plot battles are generally fun with special missions more difficult andAliens invade Earth, only seen that one done two or three times before... Saddly, I really do enjoy this game but find it hard to do it justice on paper, some units have trouble path finding, unit cloaking can be unreliable, and the air units are over powered as hell! But, I still love this game somehow.. The plot battles are generally fun with special missions more difficult and challenging then the skirmishes, but I really only ever do play this game for the skirmishes. This game's strength is in it's ability to allow the player to pick a map, team, enemy, and allies at will, and just, press, go. Never experienced any bugs that couldn't be fixed by just recommanding a unit to do an action it got caught up on. Expand
  47. Mar 27, 2016
    RTS game set in future. There are 3 factions available and each of them has its own unique play style. The design of factions is on a really high level and can be compared to Starcraft. Multiplayer and graphics could have been done a lot better, though.

1. Hardcore Gamer
    Universe at War is a good title, but it isn't without it's flaws. As-is, though, Universe at War is a comfortable ride. [Dec 2007, p.64]
    Sophistication's not UAW's strong suit: It flaunts its influences on its sleeve and thrives on its absurd outlandishness -- an exploitation RTS, suitable for midnight screenings.
  3. Play Magazine