Universe Sandbox PC

7.2

1. Jun 1, 2011
    This game, although arguably just a simulation, is magnificent. It doesn't try to be a big game that appeals to everyone, but it does manage to appeal to the unborn astrological physicist in everyone I've seen play it. Its library of different scenarios and locations can keep even the most unmoved, unimaginative people entertained. The game file is less than 100mb and it can run on mostThis game, although arguably just a simulation, is magnificent. It doesn't try to be a big game that appeals to everyone, but it does manage to appeal to the unborn astrological physicist in everyone I've seen play it. Its library of different scenarios and locations can keep even the most unmoved, unimaginative people entertained. The game file is less than 100mb and it can run on most computers, making it the perfect toy for 5 minutes between meetings or lessons. This is the only game i have ever seen that successfully makes education fun, and i think its because you can shape what you do and because its your choice whether you learn from it, it doesn't require that you understand any previous facts, save the easy to use controls, to be able to play any part of the game. My favorite part about this game when you are looking across a scale of hundreds of light years across at two galaxies that you have just sent towards each other and the smooth immersive graphics let you slip your focus away from anything but the spiraling motion of the two galaxies. My second favorite part is changing scenario to two solar systems crashing into each other, and knowing that my favorite part of the game sees this happen hundreds of times over on a far larger scale. This game deserves a 10 because it successfully puts the player in the shoes of god, and its your choice whether you are a creative or destructive god. Expand
  2. Nov 10, 2011
    Guys, this is a game that Carl Sagan, Galileo, Newton, and whoever else looked up in the stars in wonder would kill for, its worth its price, its not anything that you should pay more than 10 dollars for. But I love it, being able to distort the gravitational flow of entire galaxies and seeing the stars fly off in every direction in a grand web of stars and lights in a great cosmic dark.Guys, this is a game that Carl Sagan, Galileo, Newton, and whoever else looked up in the stars in wonder would kill for, its worth its price, its not anything that you should pay more than 10 dollars for. But I love it, being able to distort the gravitational flow of entire galaxies and seeing the stars fly off in every direction in a grand web of stars and lights in a great cosmic dark. Maybe because im just a cosmos nerd. If you dont have any interest in the stars, dont buy this game Expand
  3. Sep 29, 2012
    For anyone who likes astronomy and/or sandbox type applications,
    then this is the game for you. This game has planets, stars, galaxies,
    and all kinds of things you can think about. ( Including teapots :p ) So far I would rate this game 4 out of 5, with it's different varieties of objects you can change and edit to your will. And the varieties of features they have are amazing and
    For anyone who likes astronomy and/or sandbox type applications,
    then this is the game for you. This game has planets, stars, galaxies,
    and all kinds of things you can think about. ( Including teapots :p )
    So far I would rate this game 4 out of 5, with it's different varieties
    of objects you can change and edit to your will. And the varieties of
    features they have are amazing and plentiful. I have been playing around
    with an object's mass, diameter, and velocity only to have everything
    crashing into that particular planet or star, and I didn't even mess with
    the other features because this one was particularly more interesting.
    So to anyone reading this review I recommend that you go buy this game.
    It has lots of features and the visuals are amazing when it comes to particles,
    also different options and settings which will help you're gaming experience.
  4. May 19, 2012
    A rather decent space simulation, quite nice once you figure out how to work things. Contrary to what people have said, it is user-friendly, just takes a little getting used to.
  5. Jul 22, 2012
    This is a wonderful simulator, anyone with an interest in space, astronomy, or just wants to watch mercury whiz around the sun should certainly consider picking this up.

The UI is cumbersome at first and it will take some getting used to, they have done well to hide most of the complexity slightly out of sight until you look for it which certainly helps ease you into it. For what it

For what it does and what it offers, it's exactly what it claims to be and I can't help but commend the design team for it and recommend others to try it.

All negative reviews I've seen either had technical issues with it, or were clearly expecting something different. I also don't get why people keep saying it's not a game, it doesn't even claim to be one... doesn't mean you can't have fun in it.
  6. May 15, 2011
    Oh dear, I've just crashed the earth into the sun and then fired a huge basketball at the remnants

I have 6 words for moments like this.

That
    Was
    Awesome

Let's
    Do it
    Again
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    Serving as sort of a "universal" lesson on your computer, Universe Sandbox does well in delivering a pretty accurate model of the universe to play with. It offers different simulation types such as, The Solar System, The Earth and Moon, etc. They provide insight, or better said a more in-depth look into the celestial bodies that inhabit deep space. It is obviously not a game, but it is aServing as sort of a "universal" lesson on your computer, Universe Sandbox does well in delivering a pretty accurate model of the universe to play with. It offers different simulation types such as, The Solar System, The Earth and Moon, etc. They provide insight, or better said a more in-depth look into the celestial bodies that inhabit deep space. It is obviously not a game, but it is a pretty well-done and worth-while title for those who are interested in the cosmos and enjoy casual simulation games. If you are really interested in this kind of stuff, like I just said, then it receives an 8/10 from, and I for one love to learn about space. Although, it helps if you've learned astronomy in school to better understand its mechanics. Expand
  8. Dec 22, 2012
    I don't get it why people say it's very user unfriendly, like most simulation game you just have to be patient and eventually when you get how it works it is awesome. So many possibilities.
  9. Feb 20, 2013
    I found this application handy for constructing star systems in a sci-fi RPG I used to run. It's also got some fair entertainment value if you have sufficient imagination or curiosity about how complex planetary systems tend to work.

And if you're not satisfied with what you've created, you can always blow up the planet/sun/galaxy and start over.
  10. Aug 10, 2014
    Universe Sandbox is a complete game on just about everything that is in our sky. You can discover our solar system in detail, know the details of each planet and all its moons Particular features. You can change this, return the land smaller than the moon, do whatever you want in our universe. All with beautiful graphics. I still regret the appearance of menus, it looks a bit olderUniverse Sandbox is a complete game on just about everything that is in our sky. You can discover our solar system in detail, know the details of each planet and all its moons Particular features. You can change this, return the land smaller than the moon, do whatever you want in our universe. All with beautiful graphics. I still regret the appearance of menus, it looks a bit older browsers server selection of the Source engine, which is not very nice. I never had any major bug in this game, making it a great strength. So good game. Expand
  11. Apr 3, 2015
    Needless to say, the ultimate game for anyone who loves space and has wanted to mess with space. Too good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!d
  12. Jun 5, 2015
    This game is one of the best simulation games of all time,it does absolutely destroy and annihilate the framerate.this is a game that Isaac Newton or Galileo would murder for.it's the result of mixing wacky physics with God games.this game doesn't try to stand out like other games,hopefully it's successor UBOX 2 will rise on top of the charts and dominate the original.this game just allowsThis game is one of the best simulation games of all time,it does absolutely destroy and annihilate the framerate.this is a game that Isaac Newton or Galileo would murder for.it's the result of mixing wacky physics with God games.this game doesn't try to stand out like other games,hopefully it's successor UBOX 2 will rise on top of the charts and dominate the original.this game just allows you to do what you want.but the achievements are really stupid,like Startup Kilo or Heatwave,because you can do them without even trying.
    If you're attracted to the space simulator games then this is the game for you.seriously,someone used the images in this game to use for his astronomy lecture.the great thing is that Dan Dixon and Jar haven't forgotten about it!they'll add new stuff like Kepler 226b or Gliese 58c.this game deserves a solid 9 out of 10 blowing Minecraft out of the water.
  13. Oct 14, 2016
    A sublime educational experience, Universe Sandbox brings the wonders of space on your computer. Arguably, it requires some thinking on the part of its users as they would otherwise not know what to do with this powerful tool that presents itself in the form of this "game". In this way, it may not be a piece of software that is easily accessible by everyone but people who can actuallyA sublime educational experience, Universe Sandbox brings the wonders of space on your computer. Arguably, it requires some thinking on the part of its users as they would otherwise not know what to do with this powerful tool that presents itself in the form of this "game". In this way, it may not be a piece of software that is easily accessible by everyone but people who can actually appreciate the science behind this project will have the time of their lives while exploring the different scenarios laid out by the simulation and maybe create some of their own. Want to see what happens when a star is swallowed by a black hole? What if Jupiter wouldn't exist in our solar system? Of course there are also numerous ways in which you can destroy all life on earth. Ice age or asteroids, the choice is yours. This game will never cease to surprise me with its phenomenal simulations. Expand

1. Nov 13, 2011
    Fun with physics, if you're happy to dig to find your treasures, Universe Sandbox has them in spades. [Dec 2011, p.112]
  2. PC Gamer
    Jul 14, 2011
    This is where universe sandbox succeeds brilliantly: players experience godly power to create or destroy, while almost unavoidably learning something about the physical properties or our universe. [Sept 2011, p.69]
  3. May 18, 2011
    Universe Sandbox isn't a game per se; there are no bosses, aims or levels, merely an accurate model of astronomical bodies for you to fiddle with. It's really more of a toy – the virtual equivalent of a configurable orrery, except hugely more complex than any mechanical system.