Universe Sandbox PC

7.2

1. Feb 13, 2017
    It's a decent space physics simulator, if that's what you're looking for, but there's no reason to buy it anymore.
    The developer made a pretty major update to this simulator, but decided to release it as a sequel.
    From what I have seen the sequel is much better, so you should consider buying that one instead (although it is rather pricey, so I suppose there is one reason why would you want to buy inferior version.)
  2. Oct 14, 2016
    A sublime educational experience, Universe Sandbox brings the wonders of space on your computer. Arguably, it requires some thinking on the part of its users as they would otherwise not know what to do with this powerful tool that presents itself in the form of this "game". In this way, it may not be a piece of software that is easily accessible by everyone but people who can actuallyA sublime educational experience, Universe Sandbox brings the wonders of space on your computer. Arguably, it requires some thinking on the part of its users as they would otherwise not know what to do with this powerful tool that presents itself in the form of this "game". In this way, it may not be a piece of software that is easily accessible by everyone but people who can actually appreciate the science behind this project will have the time of their lives while exploring the different scenarios laid out by the simulation and maybe create some of their own. Want to see what happens when a star is swallowed by a black hole? What if Jupiter wouldn't exist in our solar system? Of course there are also numerous ways in which you can destroy all life on earth. Ice age or asteroids, the choice is yours. This game will never cease to surprise me with its phenomenal simulations. Expand
  3. Nov 4, 2015
    A very nice space-physics simulation sandbox. I am not sure if anything like that was available to public before; but it helps to visualize where we are in the universe. Excellent software for school projects - pretty good algorithms (it seems) for simulating gravity and mass. Since this was developed, if i am not mistaken, by one guy - it is a little rough - graphics are not top--notchA very nice space-physics simulation sandbox. I am not sure if anything like that was available to public before; but it helps to visualize where we are in the universe. Excellent software for school projects - pretty good algorithms (it seems) for simulating gravity and mass. Since this was developed, if i am not mistaken, by one guy - it is a little rough - graphics are not top--notch (not that it matters much in this case), collision and projectile physics are not there (again - programming those involves a lot and also will burden the processing power of the PC), no sound whatsoever (again - not necessary, but would be nice with some ambiance), and not sure if magnetic force is simulated either (again - would be an over-complicated model).

So in terms of "game-play" - while it is fun to look at what happens if Earth's mass is increased to that of the Sun's, and to observe how two galaxies collide, if your imagination stops there - the fun factor and replayability pretty much stop right there too.

Still, a fun program that will show you our galaxy up close and let you create your own solar systems. Also, Galaxy Sandbox 2 is coming out - with many improvements.
  4. Jun 5, 2015
    This game is one of the best simulation games of all time,it does absolutely destroy and annihilate the framerate.this is a game that Isaac Newton or Galileo would murder for.it's the result of mixing wacky physics with God games.this game doesn't try to stand out like other games,hopefully it's successor UBOX 2 will rise on top of the charts and dominate the original.this game just allowsThis game is one of the best simulation games of all time,it does absolutely destroy and annihilate the framerate.this is a game that Isaac Newton or Galileo would murder for.it's the result of mixing wacky physics with God games.this game doesn't try to stand out like other games,hopefully it's successor UBOX 2 will rise on top of the charts and dominate the original.this game just allows you to do what you want.but the achievements are really stupid,like Startup Kilo or Heatwave,because you can do them without even trying.
    If you're attracted to the space simulator games then this is the game for you.seriously,someone used the images in this game to use for his astronomy lecture.the great thing is that Dan Dixon and Jar haven't forgotten about it!they'll add new stuff like Kepler 226b or Gliese 58c.this game deserves a solid 9 out of 10 blowing Minecraft out of the water.
  5. Apr 3, 2015
    Needless to say, the ultimate game for anyone who loves space and has wanted to mess with space. Too good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!d
  6. Aug 10, 2014
    Universe Sandbox is a complete game on just about everything that is in our sky. You can discover our solar system in detail, know the details of each planet and all its moons Particular features. You can change this, return the land smaller than the moon, do whatever you want in our universe. All with beautiful graphics. I still regret the appearance of menus, it looks a bit olderUniverse Sandbox is a complete game on just about everything that is in our sky. You can discover our solar system in detail, know the details of each planet and all its moons Particular features. You can change this, return the land smaller than the moon, do whatever you want in our universe. All with beautiful graphics. I still regret the appearance of menus, it looks a bit older browsers server selection of the Source engine, which is not very nice. I never had any major bug in this game, making it a great strength. So good game. Expand
  7. Jun 28, 2014
    Universe Sandbox, sadly fails. It is supposed to be a game but is not a fun one. It could have been an educational tool but lacks any expositional elements, voice overs explanations or presentations.... so it doesn't do that. As a simulation it is also lacking. This game is a sketch of a good idea. It is a rough draft of what a space-science game might look like. Dan Dixon (the developer)Universe Sandbox, sadly fails. It is supposed to be a game but is not a fun one. It could have been an educational tool but lacks any expositional elements, voice overs explanations or presentations.... so it doesn't do that. As a simulation it is also lacking. This game is a sketch of a good idea. It is a rough draft of what a space-science game might look like. Dan Dixon (the developer) needs to re-invest money he is making from this into a second version of the game that expands greatly on the potential here for great science education and entertainment.

Orctowngrot.
  8. Dec 29, 2013
    If you know what you're doing then it's a fun little simulation game. I think the biggest downside of this game is its unfriendly interface. If you don't have a very big attention span or a will to put in some work to learn the controls/interface then this game isn't for you. If you can get past the difficult interface then you will find enjoyment in this game smashing universes together,If you know what you're doing then it's a fun little simulation game. I think the biggest downside of this game is its unfriendly interface. If you don't have a very big attention span or a will to put in some work to learn the controls/interface then this game isn't for you. If you can get past the difficult interface then you will find enjoyment in this game smashing universes together, creating black holes, etc.

The one piece of advice I can offer the developers is to make a better tutorial system or to make the interface more user friendly.
  9. Dec 23, 2013
    You would be spending your money better if you wiped your ass with the money you would spend on this game and then set that money fire. seriously you shouldn't buy this game.
  10. Sep 3, 2013
    Lewis Brown thinks this is a very bad game. You cant do much and stuff and he doesn't really like it. Get a game like Call of Duty where you can shoot guys. Stuff doesn't blow up very nice on this game he says and also you can't knife anybody. ;(

Lewis Brown says DONT Buy
  11. Jul 14, 2013
    I was expecting a lot more from this game. Sure, it's funny to mess around for ten minutes, but after that the game is really limited. I'm a huge fan of sandbox games, yet this is still far from enjoyable.
  12. AWG
    Jun 17, 2013
    The application crashed the first five (5) times I tried to run it. Eventually I got the simulator to run but since I'm neither one of the developers nor an astrophysics I couldn't understand how to get things to run. There are dozens of buttons an you're not sure which does what. I tried to understand the logic behind the interface but then the app crashed again and so I dropped it forThe application crashed the first five (5) times I tried to run it. Eventually I got the simulator to run but since I'm neither one of the developers nor an astrophysics I couldn't understand how to get things to run. There are dozens of buttons an you're not sure which does what. I tried to understand the logic behind the interface but then the app crashed again and so I dropped it for good.
    Good idea, bad execution.
  13. Jun 3, 2013
    Its a fun little universe sim in which you get to control things like planet/star/moon/galaxy placement, the mass of celestial bodies and the passage of time within the simulation. If that brief description doesn't peak your interest, you can safely give this "game" a pass.

To call Universe Sandbox a game is a bit of a stretch, I would personally categorize it under Programs. There are scenarios included in the package, but they really only serve to outline the most obvious tests anyone with a passing interest in astronomy would most likely attempt to carry out. That said, coming from a someone who's galactic knowledge extends as far as news headlines, Wikipedia and my grade 10 science classes, engulfing the Earth with the Sun or shooting Uranus out of orbit and off into the depths of space is surprisingly entertaining.

The graphics are simple and should be easily run by even the most bare-bones computers The interface is smooth, comprehensive and has a minimalistic style. The controls are intuitive and allows full control with the mouse, though some keys are utilized optionally. Achievements are present for those that want them but feel tacked on without much thought, ranging from "You Turned on the Game For the First Time" to "You Have Ruled Over Your Universe for 12 Months".

Personally I do not regret picking this little title up for the paltry $3.00 it sat at with 75% off, but for anyone not particularly interested in astronomy I think the full $10.00 is asking too much. For the general public this is a 5 minute amusement you start up while waiting for a download to finish.
  14. Feb 26, 2013
    Nothing to do here. Once you finish the tutorial and look at the pre-programmed simulations you're done. I hope you enjoyed your 1 hour of amusement. To be fair some of it is neat. The colliding galaxies is mesmerizing, and I never really appreciated Jupiters incredible collection of moons before. But at the end of the day for something with this much scope it feels oddly shallow. SettingNothing to do here. Once you finish the tutorial and look at the pre-programmed simulations you're done. I hope you enjoyed your 1 hour of amusement. To be fair some of it is neat. The colliding galaxies is mesmerizing, and I never really appreciated Jupiters incredible collection of moons before. But at the end of the day for something with this much scope it feels oddly shallow. Setting up your own systems is tedious, obscure and unfulfilling. "Congrats you made a dot that spins around another dot" What then, watch it for a few hours? The program also seems to glitch badly when you try to do some interesting things. For example if you set an object on a collision course with a planet at a significant fraction of light speed it just goes straight though it with no effect. Where was my earth shattering kaboom? 5/10 for being a visual aid slightly more useful than a coffee table book about astronomy. Expand
  15. Feb 24, 2013
    This thing is horrible. I gambled 10 dollars on it because it got 30 positive reviews, but I should have listened to the bad reviews. It's really glitchy... and the orbit lines... if you can imagine a circle... well, it's more like an octogon shape. The lines are really jagged. I thought it might be fun to crash planets into each other, but the explosions are more like... dots coming outThis thing is horrible. I gambled 10 dollars on it because it got 30 positive reviews, but I should have listened to the bad reviews. It's really glitchy... and the orbit lines... if you can imagine a circle... well, it's more like an octogon shape. The lines are really jagged. I thought it might be fun to crash planets into each other, but the explosions are more like... dots coming out of the center of the intended explosion... so like... in other words... the explosions look worse than the original asteroid game. Even that game was more entertaining than these explosions... The best I can say about it is that the planets appear to be named correctly, and some of the physics appear to be correct. But if I had another chance, I wouldn't have bought it. Expand
  16. Feb 20, 2013
    I found this application handy for constructing star systems in a sci-fi RPG I used to run. It's also got some fair entertainment value if you have sufficient imagination or curiosity about how complex planetary systems tend to work.

And if you're not satisfied with what you've created, you can always blow up the planet/sun/galaxy and start over.
  17. Dec 22, 2012
    I love astrophysics but this simulation has left me disappointed. In an hour of play I've experienced seven crashes, and as many in-game errors that didn't result in a crash but made restarting my universe a necessity. On my modern and overclocked system increasing the speed to the point where you can really see things happen (more than 1 second = 50 days) quickly results in grossI love astrophysics but this simulation has left me disappointed. In an hour of play I've experienced seven crashes, and as many in-game errors that didn't result in a crash but made restarting my universe a necessity. On my modern and overclocked system increasing the speed to the point where you can really see things happen (more than 1 second = 50 days) quickly results in gross inaccuracies occurring. There is a lot of potential, however I have been left very underwhelmed and the price tag is indefensible with the "game" in this state. Expand
  18. Dec 22, 2012
    I don't get it why people say it's very user unfriendly, like most simulation game you just have to be patient and eventually when you get how it works it is awesome. So many possibilities.
  19. Nov 28, 2012
    Serving as sort of a "universal" lesson on your computer, Universe Sandbox does well in delivering a pretty accurate model of the universe to play with. It offers different simulation types such as, The Solar System, The Earth and Moon, etc. They provide insight, or better said a more in-depth look into the celestial bodies that inhabit deep space. It is obviously not a game, but it is aServing as sort of a "universal" lesson on your computer, Universe Sandbox does well in delivering a pretty accurate model of the universe to play with. It offers different simulation types such as, The Solar System, The Earth and Moon, etc. They provide insight, or better said a more in-depth look into the celestial bodies that inhabit deep space. It is obviously not a game, but it is a pretty well-done and worth-while title for those who are interested in the cosmos and enjoy casual simulation games. If you are really interested in this kind of stuff, like I just said, then it receives an 8/10 from, and I for one love to learn about space. Although, it helps if you've learned astronomy in school to better understand its mechanics. Expand
  20. Sep 29, 2012
    For anyone who likes astronomy and/or sandbox type applications,
    then this is the game for you. This game has planets, stars, galaxies,
    and all kinds of things you can think about. ( Including teapots :p ) So far I would rate this game 4 out of 5, with it's different varieties of objects you can change and edit to your will. And the varieties of features they have are amazing and
    For anyone who likes astronomy and/or sandbox type applications,
    then this is the game for you. This game has planets, stars, galaxies,
    and all kinds of things you can think about. ( Including teapots :p )
    So far I would rate this game 4 out of 5, with it's different varieties
    of objects you can change and edit to your will. And the varieties of
    features they have are amazing and plentiful. I have been playing around
    with an object's mass, diameter, and velocity only to have everything
    crashing into that particular planet or star, and I didn't even mess with
    the other features because this one was particularly more interesting.
    So to anyone reading this review I recommend that you go buy this game.
    It has lots of features and the visuals are amazing when it comes to particles,
    also different options and settings which will help you're gaming experience.
  21. Jul 22, 2012
    This is a wonderful simulator, anyone with an interest in space, astronomy, or just wants to watch mercury whiz around the sun should certainly consider picking this up.

The UI is cumbersome at first and it will take some getting used to, they have done well to hide most of the complexity slightly out of sight until you look for it which certainly helps ease you into it. For what it

For what it does and what it offers, it's exactly what it claims to be and I can't help but commend the design team for it and recommend others to try it.

All negative reviews I've seen either had technical issues with it, or were clearly expecting something different. I also don't get why people keep saying it's not a game, it doesn't even claim to be one... doesn't mean you can't have fun in it.
  22. May 27, 2012
    It doesn't matter if you look at it as a game or a simulation - it is bad either way: plenty of bugs, crashes a lot, simulations become inaccurate pretty fast, and once you finish the tutorials and play around a bit...it loses its interest. The developers shouldn't have released it this way, or, as other have said, they shouldn't have charged so much for it if they did.
  23. May 19, 2012
    A rather decent space simulation, quite nice once you figure out how to work things. Contrary to what people have said, it is user-friendly, just takes a little getting used to.
  24. Apr 7, 2012
    a pointless yet complex simulator that inexplicably works, only when it wants to and relies on obscure windows files to do so. on those rare occasions that i have seen it run, i haven't gotten much out of it because of the cumbersome interface and my own lack of knowledge in the field of astrophysics.

most of the functions of this game can't possibly be figured out by anything less than an amateur scientist. be prepared to learn nothing unless you are well practiced in high forms of math and astronomy...

in the event you accidentally get this program to run, it is best used as a screen saver. also i'd have to say, best to wait for a 75% discount because it is very likely that you will never see this program running on your pc...
  25. Apr 4, 2012
    This simulator is pretty bad. It really should be free. Charging money for it is just insulting and a rip off. If it were free it would be ok. Its is plague with numerous bugs and crashes constantly. The graphics are bad. Everything rotates way too fast. Some galaxies when you zoom to them are just one star, pretty lazy. You can destroy a planet, but when you do this it completelyThis simulator is pretty bad. It really should be free. Charging money for it is just insulting and a rip off. If it were free it would be ok. Its is plague with numerous bugs and crashes constantly. The graphics are bad. Everything rotates way too fast. Some galaxies when you zoom to them are just one star, pretty lazy. You can destroy a planet, but when you do this it completely disregards the laws of gravity. It basically just rolls away. Mars doesn't even have moons in this simulator. its not very realistic at all and its the worst $10 I've spent in a long while. It would be nice to have a refund, but oh well. Again this should be available for free. The creator this simulator should be sued. Expand
  26. Apr 3, 2012
    This is a fun simulation program. I wouldn't really call it much of a game, but it can be very fun. You can play around with galaxies, stars, planets, moons, etc. You can either go onto the already made systems and toy around with them, perhaps crash a few planets together, etc, or you can create your own planet system if you wish. The game allows you to make alterations to the cosmicThis is a fun simulation program. I wouldn't really call it much of a game, but it can be very fun. You can play around with galaxies, stars, planets, moons, etc. You can either go onto the already made systems and toy around with them, perhaps crash a few planets together, etc, or you can create your own planet system if you wish. The game allows you to make alterations to the cosmic bodies, such as making them a certain mass and size for example. However, despite it being fun to create and destroy various systems in Universe Sandbox, it also gets repetitive very fast. I think this game could've been made even bigger and more diverse. So far we only have the planets of the solar system to play with, as well as some of the known stars, and basically about a dozen of each of the other object types, but there is no huge variety of what sort of worlds one can create. You cannot for example create an entire sci-fi universe in great detail in it. So yes - a very well done program, but could've been more diverse. Expand
  27. Jan 2, 2012
    It's hardly a game. Yes, you can rule your own universe or mess with existing one, but flawed user interface makes it a real pain. After trying more or less all of the possibilities within this game, you'll probably stop playing... Crushing planets with each other, merging galaxies - it's fun.For the first time. Later on, it becomes rather boring. Nevertheless, it is a interestingIt's hardly a game. Yes, you can rule your own universe or mess with existing one, but flawed user interface makes it a real pain. After trying more or less all of the possibilities within this game, you'll probably stop playing... Crushing planets with each other, merging galaxies - it's fun.For the first time. Later on, it becomes rather boring. Nevertheless, it is a interesting product, i would recommend it for all physic / astrophysic wannabies. Expand
  28. Dec 30, 2011
    Besides crashing at first and second attempts to run this game and then every 15 minutes, fun from gameplay meets 0. You are just setting physical attributes of stellar objects and see as they run away or collide. Even achievements are "gorgeous": play this game for 1, 10, 100 hours etc.
  29. Dec 15, 2011
    This is a very fun simulation that anyone with a even a mild interest in planetary mechanics should own. Used properly, it is very educational, but it has a very serious flaw that makes it more an item of curiosity than a true simulator: calculations are based on your time step instead of a true interpolation of the movement equations. Basically, it appears to just calculate the positionsThis is a very fun simulation that anyone with a even a mild interest in planetary mechanics should own. Used properly, it is very educational, but it has a very serious flaw that makes it more an item of curiosity than a true simulator: calculations are based on your time step instead of a true interpolation of the movement equations. Basically, it appears to just calculate the positions from one frame to the next and interpolates the motion as a straight line between those two points. What this means is that if you set a step of 1 second per frame, you get a very precise approximation of the motion of the stellar bodies, but if you accelerate the process and set the steps to 1 year per frame, the planets and stars no longer travel along smooth curved paths, but along a jagged path of connected straight lines. Aside from being ugly, this also gives incorrect results and often sends planets hurtling out of their orbits at tremendous speeds, which would not have happened with a better interpolation. The bottom line is that you can correctly simulate only stable systems at high speed; you can't speed up the effects of a destabilizing force to see what would actually happen. For all this, it's still well worth the $10 (or less if you grab it during one of Steam's sales). I mean, seriously. Don't you want to know what would happen if aliens replaced our sun with a black hole? Or what would happen if half the planets started orbiting in the opposite direction? You know you do! I now know and I sleep better at night for knowing it. ;-) Expand
  30. Nov 10, 2011
    Guys, this is a game that Carl Sagan, Galileo, Newton, and whoever else looked up in the stars in wonder would kill for, its worth its price, its not anything that you should pay more than 10 dollars for. But I love it, being able to distort the gravitational flow of entire galaxies and seeing the stars fly off in every direction in a grand web of stars and lights in a great cosmic dark.Guys, this is a game that Carl Sagan, Galileo, Newton, and whoever else looked up in the stars in wonder would kill for, its worth its price, its not anything that you should pay more than 10 dollars for. But I love it, being able to distort the gravitational flow of entire galaxies and seeing the stars fly off in every direction in a grand web of stars and lights in a great cosmic dark. Maybe because im just a cosmos nerd. If you dont have any interest in the stars, dont buy this game Expand
  31. Aug 6, 2011
    This is literally the worst game/simulation I've ever played. I gave up after 15 minutes of trying to figure out the 747 **** worth of non labeled buttons you're provided. Unless you're a rocket scientist avoid this POS confusion of a collaboration of garbage at all costs. It's like the designers all came up with 50 different ideas and threw them all together on the day it was supposedThis is literally the worst game/simulation I've ever played. I gave up after 15 minutes of trying to figure out the 747 **** worth of non labeled buttons you're provided. Unless you're a rocket scientist avoid this POS confusion of a collaboration of garbage at all costs. It's like the designers all came up with 50 different ideas and threw them all together on the day it was supposed to be released and then said here... have this. Expand
  32. Jul 19, 2011
    I was expecting something more like a Garry's Mod toolbox environment with the ability to quickly place stars, planets, moons, black holes, galaxies, etc. The GUI is not very user friendly making it very cumbersome to try things out. It has a lot of potential, but they really need to focus on cleaning up the user interface so you don't need an astrophysics degree to figure out what is going on.
  33. Jun 1, 2011
    This game, although arguably just a simulation, is magnificent. It doesn't try to be a big game that appeals to everyone, but it does manage to appeal to the unborn astrological physicist in everyone I've seen play it. Its library of different scenarios and locations can keep even the most unmoved, unimaginative people entertained. The game file is less than 100mb and it can run on mostThis game, although arguably just a simulation, is magnificent. It doesn't try to be a big game that appeals to everyone, but it does manage to appeal to the unborn astrological physicist in everyone I've seen play it. Its library of different scenarios and locations can keep even the most unmoved, unimaginative people entertained. The game file is less than 100mb and it can run on most computers, making it the perfect toy for 5 minutes between meetings or lessons. This is the only game i have ever seen that successfully makes education fun, and i think its because you can shape what you do and because its your choice whether you learn from it, it doesn't require that you understand any previous facts, save the easy to use controls, to be able to play any part of the game. My favorite part about this game when you are looking across a scale of hundreds of light years across at two galaxies that you have just sent towards each other and the smooth immersive graphics let you slip your focus away from anything but the spiraling motion of the two galaxies. My second favorite part is changing scenario to two solar systems crashing into each other, and knowing that my favorite part of the game sees this happen hundreds of times over on a far larger scale. This game deserves a 10 because it successfully puts the player in the shoes of god, and its your choice whether you are a creative or destructive god. Expand
  34. May 15, 2011
    Oh dear, I've just crashed the earth into the sun and then fired a huge basketball at the remnants

I have 6 words for moments like this.

That
    Was
    Awesome

Let's
    Do it
    Again
  35. May 8, 2011
    This isn't a game as much as a simulation. This title has a challenge in scale; Zooming out on a solar system will quickly reduce celestial objects into invisibilty. It's a cool way to get a sense of the largeness of space. The UI is really well put together given the giant subject matter... It isn't hard to find one of the 60 moons of Jupiter in the sprawling work area. I'm not sure howThis isn't a game as much as a simulation. This title has a challenge in scale; Zooming out on a solar system will quickly reduce celestial objects into invisibilty. It's a cool way to get a sense of the largeness of space. The UI is really well put together given the giant subject matter... It isn't hard to find one of the 60 moons of Jupiter in the sprawling work area. I'm not sure how much I will play it. It's fun tossing a red giant on top of Pluto and watching everything hurtle out of orbit, but where does one go from there? I cannot knowledgably assess the accuracy of the physics; I'll leave that to the astrophysicists. Regardless, I think there is some solid educational value to this title. Expand
  36. Jul 19, 2011

1. Nov 13, 2011
    Fun with physics, if you're happy to dig to find your treasures, Universe Sandbox has them in spades. [Dec 2011, p.112]
  2. PC Gamer
    Jul 14, 2011
    This is where universe sandbox succeeds brilliantly: players experience godly power to create or destroy, while almost unavoidably learning something about the physical properties or our universe. [Sept 2011, p.69]
  3. May 18, 2011
    Universe Sandbox isn't a game per se; there are no bosses, aims or levels, merely an accurate model of astronomical bodies for you to fiddle with. It's really more of a toy – the virtual equivalent of a configurable orrery, except hugely more complex than any mechanical system.