Unstoppable Gorg PC

6.9

1. May 1, 2016
    Unstoppable Gorg is a tower defense game of the sub-genre I call "pointlessly manic" -- to play it properly you must fail a level repeatedly while figuring out a sequence, and then click 8 billion times per round and hope against hope that something random doesn't get in the way of the exact movement/clicking sequence "strategy" that the hardest difficulty requires to 100%. Repeat untilUnstoppable Gorg is a tower defense game of the sub-genre I call "pointlessly manic" -- to play it properly you must fail a level repeatedly while figuring out a sequence, and then click 8 billion times per round and hope against hope that something random doesn't get in the way of the exact movement/clicking sequence "strategy" that the hardest difficulty requires to 100%. Repeat until you beat... or in the case of this game, don't bother. Because it's not even worth it. The orbit gimmick is stupid and never should have left the drawing board. Forcing players to memorize sequences and deal with RNG on top of that nonsense (to say nothing of the glitches and gotchas that ruin round after round) is just lazy tower defense design and a luminary like Futuremark should be ashamed of themselves. With the gameplay removed this would be a great screensaver, but a great game it is not.

I love tower defense games, but man do I hate tower defense games like Unstoppable Gorg. The music, art, and presentation are all top notch -- I especially love the bad sci-fi movietone reel feel. But the gameplay is just atrociously designed spew. Even many flash TDs and war3 maps were far better.

Unstoppable Gorg isn't just a bad game, it's gameplay is actively annoying, irritating, and head shaking.

Deleted.
  2. ave
    Feb 7, 2015
    For me Unstoppable Gorg falls into the Tower Defense genre, and promised something new and fresh with the system of "orbital" towers.

The game offers you to approach each mission with the difficulty level of your choice (I rarely went beyond the first two levels, among four) ; and once you've finished them, you are awarded medals depending on your efficiency in different fields - like Anomaly Warzone Earth does - plus Science Bonus to spend into your towers to level them up before battle.

Different enemies and towers are introduced all along the storyline, so each mission feels like novel.

In spite of these nice elements, the game puzzled me to the point of giving up. I expected some level of careful planning for both the tower type and placement but the later missions mostly felt like unforgiving. Any wrong choice could sentence the planet you're trying to protect to a general abduction - even if you can reposition you towers at frantic speed.

Even if I was initially enticed by the idea of orbital towers, the game felt like too hard to beat even in easy mode. Eventually this drained the potential fun out of it so I never finished it. Sadly, I cannot recommend it.
  3. Jan 22, 2012
    Well presented but the way creeps come from new paths all the time turns this into a game of memorising the levels rather than tower building strategy. Requires too much repetition for my liking.

1. May 21, 2012
    In the end, Unstoppable Gorg is a fun tower defense title.
  2. PC Gamer UK
    Mar 23, 2012
    The game's later levels get brutally devious, and the trial and error can become tiresome. [Apr 2012, p.113]
  3. Pelit (Finland)