• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Nov 11, 2003
7.4

1. Oct 6, 2013
    A decade ahead of its time.

A decade ahead of its time.

If this were to be released today as an indie title, as an online game (and you can play it online for free at mystonline.com), then it would be lavished with praise by all the critics. The reason for that is that we've had a decade to experiment and evolve game mechanics, we understand better what a co-op online experience is now, and we're more open to experiences, we're ready now for games that don't want to force us to be sociopathic murderers all the time.

I was always ready for this, and it was fun watching the world slowly catch up. The experience it presents is beloved by all of the people I've introduced it to, including this year 2013. It continues to stand up as a technological marvel, something that people just couldn't wrap their minds around back then as it was one new concept after another. From the multiplayer puzzle ages, to the multiplayer exploration, the KI interface, and everything else. Even the esoteric and eccentric story, which people would also be more open to now than back then. Back then, it was all about the shooters, the platformers, the set genres. Easy to understand stuff. It was the beginning of the commercialisation of gaming.

If it had been released ten years prior, in the era of the home computer, when everything was indie and experimental, it probably would have done okay then, too. This is how it is, it's a cycle, and people have to be in the proper part of that cycle to appreciate something like this. This is the kind of game you can form a deep bond with. I return to this game every year in order to visit an old friend, an alien creature named Shroomie. It feels really weird to have such an attachment to a 3D model, but this is what the Myst Universe does to you, and Uru more than any other.

This is life-changing and life-affirming if you let it be. It feels good, and it feels even better if you have a friend you can bring along with you for the journey. And it's always about the journey, isn't it? This is about the journey through a bizarre, alien series of worlds. Journeys present obstacles, challenges, and puzzles. That's all part of the journey. And if you're excited by any of this, then this is a game you'll love. This isn't for the shooty-shooty people, this is for the intellectual romantics, this is for the old souls.

If you give this game a chance, you could end up like me revisiting it every year just to remember the ghosts of the past. And Cyan still breathes they're starting a Kickstarter for something, soon, so that might be interesting. At some point in the future, reading this, you might know what all that's about, but right now, I don't. I only know that the journey through Uru might be worth your time, if you're ready for it.
  2. MiKE
    Jan 29, 2005
    I didn't like this game, the whole idea of seeing yourself, turned me right off. This game doesn't feel like the myst series. Disappointment.
  3. AmitS.
    Feb 13, 2004
    Easily the least engaging game since pong. actually, it's far more like taking a scantron test in one of the levels of purgatory than playing a game. if you liked the LSATs, you'll LOVE Uru . . .
  4. JasonB.
    Feb 5, 2004
    Another Ubi Soft fluff game. Nothing new here. Just another Ubi mediocre effort. Cyan had little to do with this one, obviously. The Rand Boys have sold out to the French. This game is weak.
  5. Slaw
    Jan 24, 2004
    Solid 6. At the end, I felt jipped, like it was all a big advertisement for Uru Online. I didn't care for the interface and felt that the puzzles were often a little too complex (though, I think I am getting denser as the years go on). It was a solid attempt to do something new. Thank you Cyan, please give me a real Myst adventure soon.
  6. MystFan
    Dec 18, 2003
    This game could have been grate but the user interface is so incredibly frustrating that you'll want to uninstall it after the first hour. The game is an ambitious attempt to update the Myst franchise, but it takes on too much. Don't buy this unless you have great patience for walking off cliffs, and getting stuck in tight places.
  7. DanF.
    Dec 12, 2003
    A technological marvel, ahead of it's time
  8. EthanB.
    Nov 29, 2003
    Absolutely incredible.
  9. Mydonner
    Nov 23, 2003
    Not as realistic as Myst.
  10. PotatoHead
    Nov 21, 2003
    This game is friggin incredible!! I have never seen a more beautiful looking game. If you don't have a cutting edge DX9 compatible card then it's not worth your while. Playing Uru with the lights turned off is also a must. I simply can't say enough about how visually astounding this game is. The music integrates seamlessly into the game and the mystery element adds a nice nudge.
  11. RonM
    Nov 21, 2003
    Sorry, I loved it. Beautiful, compelling puzzles, compelling story. It's not a shooter, but so what?
  12. PeggyM.
    Oct 26, 2003
    Excellent! fabulous graphics and a wonderful storyline! worth buying!

1. Uru has some of the best graphics and sound of any game. The worlds seem alive. The imagination and talent of the artists would humble Salvidor Dali himself.
  2. Love it or hate it, I believe we will look back in five or ten years and see this as a watershed moment in our brief gaming history, in much the same way as the original 1993 “Myst” is now viewed.
  3. A very good adventure game with impressive production values, but if it had actually shipped complete with the promised multiplayer, it perhaps could have been much more.