6.5

1. Dec 19, 2012
    I have played this game for an hour or two and I doubt I will play it any further, logic does not seem to be the most common process that went into the development of the game and I find myself going "that does'nt make any sense!" way too often. How can this be a "stealth game" when you are less than 5 feet from your target, he is staring you dead in the face and he doesn't "see" you! I bought this game after reading both the positive and negative reviews however I can find very little positive about it. Expand
  2. Feb 12, 2013
    its a very solid game. the gameplay is similar to that of metal gear solid, but just dont expect it to be the same. similar in terms of espionage and tactical uses of equipment. graphics are pretty good, but can get slow for no reason sometimes because of overuse of effects. story is about a spy agent deep inside the nazi controlled territories sabotaging things. i would also recommend the game' the saboteur'. similar in some aspects but the other one is more with climbing around. overall a decent to solid game, but nothing really memorable to be honest. Expand
  3. Nov 14, 2010
    Great all around PC game, don't know why it has a low user/critic review. Seems like everyone wants a standard COD2 shooter these days. This game has good stealth and creative enemy path/actions. The silent kills are rewarding each time. The game play is slintercellesc, but with some new twists. Where its a tad repetitive, it is unique enough that I enjoy a good hour dose or so a day. I found the shooting action fun when spotted. Sure, its a little weird you can just exit a room and peek through a keyhole and the enemies never follow you. I'm willing to cut a little slack there though, as the overall game is awesome, and this makes it beatable at a reasonable pace. I'm about 2/3 of the way through now enjoying the storyline and game play. Expand
  4. Dec 30, 2011
    Purely from the gameplay perspective this game has its merits. Sneaking, assassinating from behind, this part is well done.
    But I only played for 2 hours, then the save system made me (rage) quit this game for good. Sometimes the save points are like 20 mins away. For a sneaking game where any encounter can be deadly (if the enemy accidentally turns around before you expect him to do so),
    it was simply too frustrating playing the same sequences over and over only to arrive at the same difficult point.
    Don't get me wrong: In any shooter game I don't have a problem with save points. Usually you can save yourself from dying by taking cover or hiding. But in this game you can't do that. Once the bad guys detect you, it's over. This kind of game definitely needs quick saves!
    The game is quite cheap nowadays. So for me it was not so much a waste of money but a waste of my time...
  5. Jun 23, 2012
    Caveat: I'm a big fan of stealth games. So that being said this review might come across as biased. Well, Velvet Assassin is the perfect example of a great concept poorly executed. There was little to no quality control done here. So here are the pros: Atmosphere. Great ambiance with the environments. The lighting is very nice and well balanced. Voice over work is good. Music os good but can be a bit over-zealous at the wrong moments. And now for the longer list of cons: Controls. She's difficult to maneuver and she moves slowly and jerky. The walking paths are littered with junk that can't be picked up or climbed over. She only climbs select areas and when she does they're in the worst places. Weapons. There are only four total including your default knife. Attack. She stabs like she has mono and the stabbing does little to no damage. She can't reload while running. Enemies. Apparently Nazis can shoot at you but things like doors and ropes stop them. Once a Nazi searches for you they stop after awhile and go back to their original paths even with the ground being littered with dead Nazis. Video. No one bothered to test the video or even patch anything afterwards. There are checkerboard glitches throughout but not enough to truly deter anyone from continuing. No saving: only checkpoints. Truly annoying. Pathing. Truly linear. You can't explore as much as the areas reveal but there are some hidden things here and there. Conclusion: It's not a total loss but with such frustrating controls and setup and video issues it's not worth playing at a high retail price. Get it cheap and uninstall it if it pisses you off... Expand
  6. Feb 25, 2013
    Makes the unforgiveable design decision of badly chosen checkpoints and no save options. Do you like listening to the same scripted conversation over and over again when you make a mistake? No, neither does anyone else. Avoid this like the plague.
  7. Dec 12, 2012
    Why the bad reviews? I really don't get it. It's a game all about sneaking and silently killing. All about being an assassin. Getting in and out without anybody ever noticing. The controls are pretty good and the character is hot. There are some bugs but never impacting the game-play. I got it at $1.25 on Steam and seriously have paid higher prices for game much worse than that.
  8. Dec 1, 2011
    First off this game seems to have video driver issues...at least on my system. Running dual Nvidia 8800GTX caused my computer to blue screen on 1920x1080 resolution. Was finally able to stabilize it by running 1280x720. This game is a very poor Splinter Cell clone. You will not find any of the great Splinter Cell features in this game. The weak story and cut scenes are the only things it has going for it and maybe the fact that it is controller enabled. Killing nazis is always fun, but there is no climbing on boxes, you can't hug walls, AI always seems to be setup in the right direction for you to sneak up and kill them removing any challenge, doors squeak, but AI is not alerted and even if you are spotted you can go back through the door and they won't follow. Extremely repetitious. I recommend avoiding this one. Expand
  9. Sep 21, 2012
    Velvet Assassin is a generally good game that is like a remake of Thief, but with guns and Nazis.

Unfortunately, the ending is bad and out of character with the story. There is a final battle where you must defeat waves of enemies, and if f you played as stealthy character, then you won't have enough health stars to finish.
  10. Jun 13, 2012
    I must admit I've waited a long time before buying this game, having read numerous negative criticism and having decided it wasn't worth trying to test it. I was wrong. This game is actually quite good. The graphics are great, and the whole art direction is coherent and at the same time very "new", using sepia tones and dark, cold atmospheres are the same time. The gameplay is... well, I don't know. old school? Simple? Yes, it IS simple. But while the beginning of the game has a definite emphasis on stealth, the ending is much more frenetic. In short, it doesn't get boring at all. The audio is so-so. The ambiance sounds are good, although the music sometimes gets too loud and can distract the player. But then again, It may be just my opinion, since I usually don't like music in games anyway. The voice acting ranges from good to downright awful, depending on the language : german acting is good, which is expected since it was developed by a german studio. The English acting (the hero) is average. It could be a bit better sometimes, but it's still bearable. The French acting is AWFUL. The story itself is the most original and the best part of the game, in my opinion. I've played a lot of WW2-themed games, and this one definitely portrays the atrocity of war the best. The scenario isn't a generic copycat of other mainstream games I won't name (it starts with a C, end with a D, and there's a o in the middle), and it definitely works great. My only regret is, as usual, the portrayal of the main character. I can accept the oh-so-tight pants that don't look practical at all or the sexy makeup (on a WW2 spy!). Those are clichés, alright. I'm used to seeing them on female videogame characters. But playing 1/5 of the game in a nightie... come on. Seriously? Alright, she wakes up in a hospital. So obviously she doesn't have her normal suit anymore. But give her clothes at some point in the game, damn it. The violence of the ending becomes ridiculous when you realize you're playing in a NIGHTIE. Hello, half-naked hot chick killing nazis. Can you keep your serious there? No. It's absurd. And the problem is, the game is stone-cold serious the whole time. The atrocities of war, everything. This game, right here, says "man always lose wars". You can't have both a very serious story and a ridiculously clichéd sexualized character. Expand
  11. Mar 27, 2013
    There is a reason this game is on sale ALOT!

It is one of the worst ports I have ever seen, the graphics are so-so. They gameplay is based around a hot attractive female 'spy' there is no story. Go out and spend your money on games such as Super Meat Boy/Skyrim.. Anything but this please.
  12. Jul 20, 2013
    Velvet assassin is a third person stealth game, set in the ww2 era. You play as violette summer, who happens to be in a coma. She dreams about her past missions, all of which you get to play through as her. The game is no splinter cell, and it shouldn’t be approached as one.

There wasn’t anything particularly interesting in this game. The visuals were crisp but bland and they didn’t fit
    with the setting. The story was not interesting at all and because of that, you’ll likely not remember anything about it. The gameplay itself doesn’t really save this game either. It’s incredibly basic and often times repetitive.

While this review isn’t comprehensive of the entire game, there isn’t much to say. The gameplay is boring, the visuals and story lack any depth and are uninteresting. The length of the game is fairly short, which is actually a good thing. I wanted to be finished with this game as quickly as possible. I wish I would have saved that money and gotten something else, but for $1.24 it was tempting. This is a average game, so expect a average experience.
  13. Feb 1, 2014
    A nice third-person stealth game based on a real life British-Hungarian WWII assassin. The atmosphere of the game is what probably stands out most. The level design is unfortunately very linear and the gameplay overall is 'okay'. The protagonist is appealing, in that she's a 'she'! Recommended for WWII / historically theme game fans.
  14. Jun 22, 2012
    This is an excellent game. The story, the sounds and the graphics is great. You be with a spy girl. In this game you need stealth, kill and this composition is great. Who love spy games, will love this game too.
  15. Aug 14, 2011
    On this game, the story was good, characters were ok, stealth system was fine. But what makes me give this game a 8 is the weak intelligence of the AI. They were responding to noises when i walked over the broken glass pieces and were starting to search for Violet when they found a dead body, these were the good ones but it was not enough. For example while you were escaping from a Nazi soldier and entered the doors that took you to previous or next rooms in the game, just because that you closed the door, the nazi soldier was could not be able to follow you. I mean you are already in a lair of German soldiers, the soldier who was trying to chase and kill you cannot proceed through the next room so you can save yourself just by changing the rooms. Expand
  16. Nov 8, 2012
    This game might be a tad too linear for my liking but I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway. It's like the Hitman series but set during the 2nd world war. You go around killing nazis, stealing documents and just causing havoc on the enemy front. The graphics are really nice and the controls smooth and fluid. I recommend picking this up if you have some time to kill.
  17. Feb 19, 2014
    Good idea for a game but the result is bland and repetitive.
    Deleted the game after 2 hours despite the fact that I LOVE STEALTH GAMES. I can't even remember what the story was all about. You can give it a shot but I think I'd rather play NOLF instead.

1. A depressing and shoddy misfire of a World War II sneak-'em-up. [July 2009, p.84]
  2. The strength of this game is the visceral experience. It all feels very real and can be very tense, much like the enjoyable tension you feel in a good scary movie. This is all very good, but some poor choices in game design sometimes pull you out of the experience which is not so good.
  3. Forget about clever puzzles and “social stealth”. Instead of presenting various solutions to a problem, Velvet Assassin will beat you on the head with a stick and point to an “X” on the map.