Venetica PC

6.8

1. Aug 12, 2015
    Venetica is one of the best RPGs. It has an intense plot, graphics and art style are unique and beautiful.
    It is beyond me why it scores below 90. Maybe because there is no choice of character? You are bound to play the game as the main character, a small town girl named Scarlett. However as far as I am concerned this adds to the game's flavor even more.
  2. Jun 11, 2011
    It reminds me of Beyond Good and Evil in graphics, art style, main character and the whole vibe of the game. Because it's not your normal AD&D elves, wizards and goblins, it makes it all the more refreshing. The graphics are timeless in nature, being of the cartoon variety, but there is good facial animation, especially on the main character, to impart emotion. You do build a rapport withIt reminds me of Beyond Good and Evil in graphics, art style, main character and the whole vibe of the game. Because it's not your normal AD&D elves, wizards and goblins, it makes it all the more refreshing. The graphics are timeless in nature, being of the cartoon variety, but there is good facial animation, especially on the main character, to impart emotion. You do build a rapport with the main character as she goes through her adventure, and this all helps with the immersion.

Don;t get this expecting an Oblivion, but rather a AA title from Europe that comes to the market from a refreshing new angle. I hope to see this character again in another story, and you cannot say better than that!
  3. NielsvanK.
    Jan 26, 2010
    A very nice German RPG, which feels very fresh and simple, but is eminently addictive and playable. It somehow reminds me a lot of Beyond Good & Evil and Arx Fatalis and just like them won't probably get the attention and sales it deserves. The story is nice and personal, and gradually gets you involved in the greater scheme of things, without giving you the feel to be lost in it. A very nice German RPG, which feels very fresh and simple, but is eminently addictive and playable. It somehow reminds me a lot of Beyond Good & Evil and Arx Fatalis and just like them won't probably get the attention and sales it deserves. The story is nice and personal, and gradually gets you involved in the greater scheme of things, without giving you the feel to be lost in it. The backstory is simple but gripping, no overcontrived lore is needed. The focus stays on a single main character, so no bickering party to (micro)manage, which I think is a breath of relief after recent Bioware games. The environment is great: I've recently been to Venice and it surely nails the atmosphere if not the precise layout. Characters look slightly cartoonesque, which paints their personality in a few broad strokes, but the environments are pretty realistic, and looking out over the sprawling multilayered town in can take your breath away. Fights are very visceral, with action oriented blocking and dodging combined with a melee combo system akin to the Witcher but done more intuitively. Secondary powers and spells are done through a standard action bar. Skill gain is slightly less intuitive, with certain skills/trees locked out until unlocked in the storyline or encountering certain trainers. Skills do make a difference though, unlike the other recent German RPG: Divine Divinity 2: Ego Draconis, where level alone make too big a difference. Here, difficult fights can be brought to a successful end by making good use of your skills. Technically (with the 1.02 patch) the only problem I encountered was not being able to alt-tab, but that problem might be specific to my 3D monitor and driver. I've been playing for about 6 hours, and am halfway to the second of what I suspect will be 5 bosses, so the game will have a good 30+ hours of gameplay. All in all, a great game, and something I heartily recommend to gamers that find a lot of current RPG's take themselves so seriously they forget games are about having fun. Expand
  4. JakeW
    Jan 25, 2010
    I think this game is good... I don't usually play RPG's except for diablo, but this is way different! It has nice graphics and an entertaining story-line.. And Scarlett looks nice.. But install the latest patch, because it tweaks it for the better! Overall a must-try (9/10)
  5. PeterB
    Dec 6, 2009
    Different from the othercRPGs I played. Since I had played everything on the market since 1990 that IS a compliment. Try it for yourselves. You won't regret it.
  6. May 26, 2011
    A great game, with an comprehensive story and easy-to-understand mechanics. The game begins fairly simply and the difficulty escalates properly so that new RPG players can understand how it works, and seasoned players can enjoy a simple game. Unlike most new RPG's, this game does not make you upgrade thousand of stats. It's fairly simple, Health, Strength (Melee), Mana, Strength (Magic).A great game, with an comprehensive story and easy-to-understand mechanics. The game begins fairly simply and the difficulty escalates properly so that new RPG players can understand how it works, and seasoned players can enjoy a simple game. Unlike most new RPG's, this game does not make you upgrade thousand of stats. It's fairly simple, Health, Strength (Melee), Mana, Strength (Magic). There is however an abundance of physical and magical skills you can buy or upgrade to, and also a multitude of weapons of 4 different styles (Swords, Spears, Hammers and Axes and Moonblades). The storyline is pretty straightforward, the bosses are as hard as they should be and there are many sidequests to keep one busy.

All in all, I'd certainly recommend it to an RPG newcomer, or to a WoW dropout.

1. Feb 8, 2012
    While Venetica is completely playable, I never would have beaten it without a review assignment. Gamers deserve a little more incentive than the bare pleasure of leveling up and hoarding loot to no real end. Even if that's your only ambition, there are much more attractive and fun venues for it. The developers seem to have infused Venetica with at least a portion of their hearts, and I hate to see passion so wasted. Then again, I could be wrong, and Venetica is the dreary result of pure industry.
  2. PC Gamer UK
    Feb 24, 2011
    The shallow mechanics and technical problems make this one to avoid at full price. [Mar 2011, p.97]
  3. Jan 29, 2011
    A strong protagonist and enticing visuals make Venetica worth playing, but problems with the questing and combat drag this role-playing game down.