Vessel PC

7.9

1. Mar 10, 2012
    A strong puzzle game, with an increasing amount of depth. Just take note, this game does not feature the emotional resonance of something like bastion or the ending of braid - or limbo. That's not to say it does not have some great music and personality - It does. There are some slight comparisons with the 2d metroids as well. And the game does evolve into a much deeper thing about 1 hourA strong puzzle game, with an increasing amount of depth. Just take note, this game does not feature the emotional resonance of something like bastion or the ending of braid - or limbo. That's not to say it does not have some great music and personality - It does. There are some slight comparisons with the 2d metroids as well. And the game does evolve into a much deeper thing about 1 hour in. In the end, this is recommended for puzzle game fans more than art-indie-game fans. Expand
  2. Mar 13, 2012
    I haven't finished the game yet, but I have played enough to say that this one is highly original. The puzzles aren't all the same and the game immersion is pretty awesome. I feel like a true scientist while playing this one. Recommended.
  3. Mar 25, 2012
    Well the game at once surprising climate and general idea. Strange that no one else (probably) did not hit upon the idea of â
  4. Jul 14, 2012
    Another clever Indie game with well thought out levels sprinkled with the occasional puzzle to test your patience. The ambient music throughout is also a nice touch. I recommend you use a controller with this game as it gets fiddly using a keyboard.
  5. Jul 15, 2012
    I greatly appreciate that games like this can be made and I was inspired by the vision of Vessel, but after having completed the game I found that I wasn't enjoying it most of the time I was playing. The visuals are handled very well and I can't fault the game there. The physics are very simplified and cumbersome during many scenarios (dials, swinging bridges, aiming streams). The plotI greatly appreciate that games like this can be made and I was inspired by the vision of Vessel, but after having completed the game I found that I wasn't enjoying it most of the time I was playing. The visuals are handled very well and I can't fault the game there. The physics are very simplified and cumbersome during many scenarios (dials, swinging bridges, aiming streams). The plot was compelling, but did not follow through on completion. The majority of the puzzles weigh in on the easy side, some quite clever, but many times I found myself frustrated that so much of the difficulty came from overcoming the clunky controls (I did use a gamepad as recommended) and finicking the AI Fluros into their positions. The minutes that passed between solving a puzzle conceptually and being able to execute it in the game dampened the joy of each success. Expand
  6. Nov 3, 2014
    This game feels and looks great. The water mechanic and the puzzles are handled incredibly well. It could have used a bit more polish ( a few more frames of animation on main character for example), but for an indie game, you couldn't ask for too much more. I will say that after some time, the puzzling and adventuring stopped being so interesting, and I found the puzzles to be much moreThis game feels and looks great. The water mechanic and the puzzles are handled incredibly well. It could have used a bit more polish ( a few more frames of animation on main character for example), but for an indie game, you couldn't ask for too much more. I will say that after some time, the puzzling and adventuring stopped being so interesting, and I found the puzzles to be much more like a chore than a challenge. Expand
  7. Jun 20, 2015
    Its ok, but it feels to me like a simple puzzle mechanic is made complex with the way the puzzles are presented in the game. Beautiful graphics.... but I would rather just be able to focus on the puzzzle mechanic
  8. Sep 25, 2012
    Vessel is a 2d side scrolling puzzle game in which the main character M. Arkwright manipulates water like creatures called "Fluro" to solve puzzles.

From the opening cinematic, I knew I was in for something special. The game is gorgeous. Although it is a 2D world, the depth of perspective within the backgrounds are phenomenal. Every set piece gives the game a rich, colorful and unique locale to solve the hundreds of puzzles.

The problem with the game world, however, is that it gives you a taste of what the exterior landscape will look like before you spend the next 2 hours of game play in dank buildings and caves. While both the warehouse and caves are unique, I think it was a bit of a design mistake to place the brown palette places so close to each other. For someone sitting down for a long session, this color scheme can become a little dull.

The dullness is compounded with the games sound track. While it starts out as a nice piano composition, it will suddenly bust out in a dub step beat that makes me want to strangle someone. While the occasional "womp womp" music wouldn't be so bad, it seems that the soundtrack loops a nearly identical track ad nauseum.

That is not to say that this game is by any means boring. The game play mechanics with the fluids are one of the most unique experiences I have had since Portal came out a few years ago. At the beginning, you can use pipes and hoses to manipulate water and the semi sentient "Fluros" to open the next location. As you move through the game, you gain more and more tools to manipulate the "Fluros", water, steam and other liquids which makes the puzzles more and more complex. This ramping up of difficulty is a pleasant change to the classic designs of old sidescrollers which maintain the same difficulty through the whole game.

Although unique, I did have a few problems with the game play. The controls are just not tight enough on a keyboard to handle some of the areas. It can be a bit frustrating to understand how to complete a certain puzzle but still have to take a lot of time actually doing it because the jump and grab controls are not precise enough.

If you have an Xbox 360 controller, I recommend using it. It feels a lot cleaner to play and a little more intuitive. Unfortunately, I got 3 hours into the game before I realized my old USB controller didn't have enough trigger buttons to use an in-game item correctly. I have enough buttons on the controller, but the game does not allow custom mapping. This wasn't a big deal to me, because I was able to whip out an Xbox controller, but for someone who doesn't own one, the lack of controller customization could be a problem.

I ran into a problem with the game lagging after extended play sessions. My computer is pretty high end, so I don't know what the issue was. It would become especially problematic on a large puzzle with multiple "Fluros" and a lot of physics calculations going on. I don't know if this is an isolated case or a larger problem, but it could get a bit frustrating at times.

Despite all that, the game is a blast. It reminds me of my youth, plowing my way through games like "Earthworm Jim" on the SNES. This game also gives you a lot of value for the price. I am about 6 hours in and I have a ton more to go.

This game is a great buy and worth every penny.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 14, 2012
    A quality title that mixes platforming and puzzle elements while injecting new life into both with its liquid physics and Fluros. It's not quite Braid or Limbo, but it's good nonetheless. [Sept 2012]
  2. Jun 15, 2012
    A charming platformer with award winning physics that will keep you good company for some hours.
  3. May 20, 2012
    A soap factory called Vessel is awaiting your engagement into the game with its many ideas. Don't worry that you've never heard of this puzzle platform title, it may still be the best puzzle-solving game of the year.