7.2

1. Nov 20, 2010
    The graphics are simple gorgeous. The game play is very reminiscent of Guild Wars, which is not a bad thing. And while they are still implementing all the class types and spells, its an excellent beginning and a real breath of fresh air. Why isn't the Source engine being used for more MMO games, because once you see this eye candy you will find it hard to put up with WOW or otherThe graphics are simple gorgeous. The game play is very reminiscent of Guild Wars, which is not a bad thing. And while they are still implementing all the class types and spells, its an excellent beginning and a real breath of fresh air. Why isn't the Source engine being used for more MMO games, because once you see this eye candy you will find it hard to put up with WOW or other pedestrian graphics.

Worthy of the download.
  2. Nov 21, 2010
    I'm a pretty picky guy when it comes to MMO's and have tried a number of them. I always look for new and unique MMO's cause I get tired of the same old thing over and over again. This is the reason that I have not and will not play WoW. Vindictus caught my eye first for looking so damn good, and second cause word of mouth said that this was an action heavy MMO with emphasis on style. WhatI'm a pretty picky guy when it comes to MMO's and have tried a number of them. I always look for new and unique MMO's cause I get tired of the same old thing over and over again. This is the reason that I have not and will not play WoW. Vindictus caught my eye first for looking so damn good, and second cause word of mouth said that this was an action heavy MMO with emphasis on style. What I was excited to hear most, however, was that you were pretty much in control of your character the whole time. No auto-attacking, which I detest in most MMO's (is it really so hard to be able to swing your own sword manually?). Thankfully, Vindictus is not another run of the mill auto-attack MMO. And yes, it is very action heavy. Besides having active combat, it also runs on the Source engine (you know, the same one Half Life 2 ran on), which means there is much of the environment that you can interact with. This means nifty little addictions like being able to pick up rubble and smash your enemy with it I am actually pretty surprised this is free to play, considering how good it looks, how well it plays, and how smooth it runs. There is a limit of content, my only complaint, but hopefully it gets popular and with the popularity comes more content (looks to be that way, too). You can choose between three different standard archetypes: Fiona, the tank with a sword and shield, Lann the quick and agile dual sword wielder, and Evie, the mage. The game also has all the usual trappings. You battle monsters, shop for equipment and items, and level up as usual. However repetitive the game may be though, the action is fun and cool looking enough to make it interesting. And it should be noted that the writing is better than average k-MMO, and the translations are surprisingly sharp. While the game seems a bit shallow in the content department, there are plenty of missions to go on and plenty to collect. The game also does away with typical grinding in favor of mission objects which will keep you wanting to run some missions over again just to get the extra battle points of complete the extra goals. I'm always vary wary of MMO's, especially F2P MMO's. I typically get bored after only a short while due to repetitiveness and clone structuring. Vindictus, however, is a welcome change with active and exciting combat, gorgeous graphics, and a lack of any actual grinding. If you want something a little different, try Vindictus. You just might enjoy it as much as I have. Expand
  3. Nov 6, 2010
    The first thing that should be mentioned is that this is a free-to-play MMO, with micro transactions. This means you can download the game client, install, run, and create any of the currently 3 available characters and jump right into the game. While I won't go too far into detail, I will outline the game itself and let you experience it for yourself.

You are greeted with an opening

You are greeted with an opening cinematic, an in-game tutorial on basic combat controls, another cinematic, and then you are thrown into the hub of the game - the town. Your mini-map at the top right indicates which buildings to visit with a yellow chat-bubble. Once you have talked to NPC's and learned quests to take, its off to the docks! At the docks, you will initially carry out quests on the beginner dock which takes you to The Ruins. Since this is the beginner dock/area, you will not need to pay tokens. Once you reach dock 2 and higher, you will need to gauge yourself wisely. Boat rides to your quest will initially cost 2 Silver tokens, and you start off with 50. Silver tokens are replenished every Monday, Thursday, and Saturday, back to the 50 count. If you haven't seen any gameplay videos already, I suggest you go do so now :)
    Vindictus runs on a version of the Source Engine, which means it has physics and shares some sound effects from Half-Life, an older, popular first-person shooter that used the Source Engine.

The available characters as of this time are as follows:

Lann - The quick, dual-wielding attack-oriented character, suitable for people who like hack-n-slash or getting the job done quickly. He initially uses 2 swords though later on he can acquire spears.

Fiona - The slower, single-weapon + shield using, defense-oriented character, suitable for people who like characters that pack a punch and take a little extra practice to master. She utilizes a broadsword and a shield.

Evie - The moderately-paced spellcaster/"mage". Initially she casts small bursts of wind and a heavy-damaging Firebolt, as well as healing abilities. Later on, you may opt to switch from Staff to Scythe, opening up an entirely different playing style for her. You could compare the Staff abilities to that of White or Red mages from the Final Fantasy series, and the Scythe to Black mages; or perhaps more appropriately you could call her a Death God/Reaper, considering the deathly overtones to her attacks.

Vindictus starts off with a fast-pace, introducing characters and lore in a steady fashion. Once you reach around level 20, questing may start to feel more like grinding, though if you're sociable, you can easily pass time while doing older quests by voice-chatting and, should you be a good samaritan, helping newbies complete their quests while showing off your higher-level abilities. Depending on your internet connection, the game can be either laggy or smooth as butter. It appears that as Party Leader, everyone else connects to your computer in order to synchronize the action going on at everyone else's screens. I have a fairly powerful computer myself and a 15Mbps Cable internet connection and have very low occurrences of lag. There are plenty of factors that come into play, but I recommended befriending people in your party who you can play with without lagging, so that
    1) The game becomes more fun with friends
    2) You have people to trade with or ask for help
    3) If you party with them in the future, you can minimalize the amount of lag you'll have to deal with. This applies to many MMO's really

Overall, Vindictus is more than adequate for a free-to-play game, with updates rolling out frequently and still yet more characters to be unlocked/released. Its an excellent time-killer as well as eye-candy, perfect for those looking for an alternative to the restrictive turn-based or timed-attack MMO's out there.
  4. Nov 15, 2012
    A fun, fast paced, graphically pleasing game to be sure... However, Nexon are greedy beyond words and I as a consumer feel that this game ultimately left a bad taste in my mouth over the two years I've played. It's pay to win antics are ridiculous and extremely expensive, leaving the average player with no hope to succeed in higher level content. Make no mistake, I've played this gameA fun, fast paced, graphically pleasing game to be sure... However, Nexon are greedy beyond words and I as a consumer feel that this game ultimately left a bad taste in my mouth over the two years I've played. It's pay to win antics are ridiculous and extremely expensive, leaving the average player with no hope to succeed in higher level content. Make no mistake, I've played this game since It's closed Beta phase, and the in game pay items are becoming more and more necessary and even more expensive. As great as this game could have been, greed ultimately killed it for me. Expand
  5. Jun 28, 2012
    This game had the potential to be just under AAA quality. But they don't want to support it well enough to make it a quality experience. ------------ The game had lots of disconnection issues for a couple months, I opened a ticket with their support in February, still get automated replies now 4 months later saying they're 'still receiving an unusually high volume of tickets.' Basically,This game had the potential to be just under AAA quality. But they don't want to support it well enough to make it a quality experience. ------------ The game had lots of disconnection issues for a couple months, I opened a ticket with their support in February, still get automated replies now 4 months later saying they're 'still receiving an unusually high volume of tickets.' Basically, they don't care. I bought items too. ------------------

I complained to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and Nexon just kept responding to the BBB with 'we do not perform customer service through 3rd party entities like the BBB. Please use our ticket system. Which I tried to do, but never received a response to, lol! --------------------

After logging on once a week for a couple months and still being unable to successfully complete a mission more then 33% of the time without getting disconnected (getting disconnected forces you to start the mission - better known as a boat or dungeon all over again) and this issue was never addressed by the customer support despite hundreds of complaints via tickets, on their forums, and even on their facebook. They just kept dancing along ignoring all their players like nothing ever happened. ---------------------

So yeah, be wary. The game itself is actually fun though, if the terrible connection issues/lag were ever resolved, it would be an amazingly fun game that would be more popular. I would refuse to let anyone else 'host' the dungeon (dungeons are client hosted to reduce load/cost on Nexon servers, with just a heartbeat and some mild checks to watch you) because of how awful the lag would be to almost everyone. Either their PC couldn't handle it or their connection couldn't. Also, because the dungeons were client-hosted cheating was rampant and very easy. I never did it myself, but I found loads of tutorials and I was shocked to see how easy it was and caught on to some of my in-game friends botting it up. ----------------------

So yeah, potential to be an A- game, ruined by Nexon being cheap. All the game needs is a set of dedicated servers with good latency and everything major would be immediately fixed. Oh, and customer service that doesn't take in excess of FOUR MONTHS to return your email.
  6. May 21, 2012
    one of the best F2P game out there. Using the source engine, the game looks very good on max settings, and even better if you know how to tweak it with nvidiainspector. The combat is very arcade feel, instead of pressing 1-10 and repeat like other mmos, such as Tera or DN, you have to chain skills. But Nexon NA is horrible, does not prevent hackers/botters, so the economy is just crap atm.
  7. Jun 14, 2012
    This game does deserve your attention; beautiful graphics and fast paced action makes it a really fun game. For it to be at its best, you need to play with friends (alone it gets pretty boring pretty fast) and give it some time. Leveling up is kind of long and sometimes you end up doing the same quest three times in order to get what you wanted. Being free, I think it's the best of itsThis game does deserve your attention; beautiful graphics and fast paced action makes it a really fun game. For it to be at its best, you need to play with friends (alone it gets pretty boring pretty fast) and give it some time. Leveling up is kind of long and sometimes you end up doing the same quest three times in order to get what you wanted. Being free, I think it's the best of its genre around. Expand
  8. Dec 29, 2012
    Unplayable and buggy. Right off the bat you this is obvious as you attempt to change video settings. Without going into detail you have to commit to work around to get any changes in "settings" to save. The servers are a whole different issue. Creating a new character constantly takes several attempts and once in-game you will get disconnected at the most inopportune times. With no featureUnplayable and buggy. Right off the bat you this is obvious as you attempt to change video settings. Without going into detail you have to commit to work around to get any changes in "settings" to save. The servers are a whole different issue. Creating a new character constantly takes several attempts and once in-game you will get disconnected at the most inopportune times. With no feature that truly saves progress you will find yourself losing 20 minutes of progress on a consistent basis. I do not recommend this game, you are better off putting the time into something else. Expand
  9. Nov 26, 2010
    It's good. The graphics are stunning for a free game, and the gameplay delivers. That said, I have a few gripes. First, there's a disconnect between the advertising of this game and the actually play. The ads make it look like a mix between Diablo, WoW, and some game from the horror genre (think Penumbra, Resident Evil, or BioShock), which was exactly what I was looking for. The gameIt's good. The graphics are stunning for a free game, and the gameplay delivers. That said, I have a few gripes. First, there's a disconnect between the advertising of this game and the actually play. The ads make it look like a mix between Diablo, WoW, and some game from the horror genre (think Penumbra, Resident Evil, or BioShock), which was exactly what I was looking for. The game itself is a lot more... cheery. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it was just unexpected.

The game also uses quite a few character and aesthetic devices common to anime, so if that kind of thing annoys you, the game might not be for you.

All in all, it's one of the better games that I've played in awhile, and one that has kept me entertained for many hours at zero cost. What more can you ask for?
  10. Nov 27, 2010
    The "best" F2P MMO with micro transactions I have ever encountered.

Vindictus has to be Nexons best game so far, I'm a fan (but currently Ex-Player) of their MMOFPS Combat Arms and Vindictus just hit the spot for me. Being 100% free to play was a huge bonus, and the micro transactions are completely reasonable and well structured. The graphics and game mechanics blew my mind for a F2P
    The "best" F2P MMO with micro transactions I have ever encountered.

Being 100% free to play was a huge bonus, and the micro transactions are completely reasonable and well structured. The graphics and game mechanics blew my mind for a F2P and the content was amazing.

First off, being free. Lots of games out there are "free" but very few are FREE. Majority of games that are free tend to have large limitations on content to those who do not pay. Not Vindictus, free players can do everything just the same as those that pay money. However, it may be a little more difficult or take a little more time. Another big thing is that paying players have no extreme advantage, their biggest advantages are sheer aesthetics. That is what I really like about an F2P game.

The graphics are a huge jump into the future. I haven't played many MMORPG's with a graphics system that works this well with the game play. The fact that blood spurts from your enemies in the exact spot you slash them was incredible! The cinematic camera angles that change along with the motion blur and vignette effects in combat all wrap it up into an amazing package. Nexon put the Source engine to perfect use in this game giving the graphics and intense and immersive feel, complimenting the game play and content.

I am a huge fan of the "live" combat system that Vindictus has. I've never liked the whole "auto-attack" deal that lots of other MMORPG's have. The combat system in vindictus allows and requires players to strategize their actions in all situations. Keeping the game interesting and action-y. The ability to pick up and use almost every object in the game, and destroy parts of the environment was a great bonus. Adding depth to the battles and strategy.

Vindictus' content boasts next to no drawbacks to it. The Introduction portion of the game catapults the player into a storyline that refuses to die off throughout the game. Vindictus has the storyline depth and complexity of a single-player game while maintaining the flexibility and sociability of most MMORPG's. Never does one feel "out of the story" their are tons of side stories for a player to take but it isn't overwhelming. MY only complaint about the content is that you play as a "character" instead of the classic "race/gender/class" combo. I truly don't mind having my gender locked, but I'd rather see Rokhed level 22 Berserker instead of Rokhed level 22 Lann. The next 2 characters that Nexon is looking at seem very promising in propelling the game even further.

A disadvantage to the game is the matchmaking method for parties. Instead of the dungeon instance being hosted on Nexon's servers, it is hosted by players, so you might end up with a supper choppy and laggy 5 player dungeon. However, you can avoid this by hosting you own boats and then befriending those who tend to lag less in your boats and party with them.

Overall, Vindictus has everything needed in an MMORPG with the added bonuses of sweet graphics and a F2P environment. The content is clean and understandable while maintaining intense depth that keeps the player wanting more. The few drawbacks it has are absolutely, 100%, negligible as they are, in fact, avoidable by extremely simple means. This is why, in my books, Vindictus deserves a 10 out of 10.

Good Job Nexon, Keep it coming!
  11. Apr 25, 2011
    If more American players were aware of outstanding free-to-play MMOs like Vindictus, it would be the end of subscription-based online play. Vindictus is 100% free, yet it offers content that is so strikingly innovative that you will be left wondering how Nexon can afford to distribute a game of this caliber without requiring micro transactions of some sort. Many F2Ps place theirIf more American players were aware of outstanding free-to-play MMOs like Vindictus, it would be the end of subscription-based online play. Vindictus is 100% free, yet it offers content that is so strikingly innovative that you will be left wondering how Nexon can afford to distribute a game of this caliber without requiring micro transactions of some sort. Many F2Ps place their non-paying gamers at a severe disadvantage, thus defeating the purpose of it being "free" in the first place, but in Vindictus, you have no such limitations. Players can partake in the entire game without ever paying a dime, though if you're like me, you'll be in love with the game to such an extent that dropping $10 on some Nexon points for a sexy inner garment set will actually seem like a bargain. On that point, Vindictus has some wonderful character customization and armoring options, though you are technically altering preset characters. This may seem like a restriction at first, but it also means that a sensible story can be constructed around those characters, and we all know that the weakest part of most MMOs is usually story flow and personality of its "signpost" NPCs. Vindictus feels much more organic, with voiced cutscenes and beautiful zone design to make the world more engrossing and inspiring than any pay-to-play competitor. The combat is equally innovative, with an action-oriented (and extremely violent) real-time system taking the place of standard point-and-click attacks. You can even map the controls to a gamepad for a complete God of War / Bayonetta console feel. If that's not enough, the grappling and ranged weapon attacks add some real strategy, flexibility, and depth to the fighting. Pin large enemies to the ground with spears and chains while teammates attack the weak spots, destroy scaffolding and crates to use the splintered shards of wood as temporary weaponry, and use an enemy's head to bash a hole in a wall before launching his corpse at his unexpecting comrades. You can even exploit traps in the environment to kill ambushing hordes, or destroy the traps to avoid having to navigate them. It's such an interactive combat experience that you will never want to go back to the snail's pace of standard MMO grinding. All dungeons are instances, with the ability to party with friends or other players a la Monster Hunter. Level design is focused and varied. And you won't have to worry about party members "doing their own thing" because of the objective-driven structure of missions, and if partying isn't really your thing, practically all of Vindictus can be completed solo. Environmental effects and weather variations also add to the overall experience. I could keep going, but if you've read this far, you've already wasted time you should've spent downloading this magnificent title. See you online! Expand
  12. Dec 7, 2012
    Note: There IS grind but the gameplay itself, which is action oriented, is compelling and fun. One of 'good' F2P title. However, remember that there IS grind and Pay-to-Win aspect in the End-game level, although you can avoid such gripe without running serious raids but staying in easier contents having fun with friends. It's not as demanding as WoW, where you don't have anything else toNote: There IS grind but the gameplay itself, which is action oriented, is compelling and fun. One of 'good' F2P title. However, remember that there IS grind and Pay-to-Win aspect in the End-game level, although you can avoid such gripe without running serious raids but staying in easier contents having fun with friends. It's not as demanding as WoW, where you don't have anything else to do other than raids or arena both require high end gears that takes months to farm. In fact, I would rather compare this game with hack and slash ARPG games than MMORPGs. The town is a Hub, and actions require a small team, maximum number of 10 people for raid but 4 for typical runs. No persistent world but there is not so well forged storyline element. Expand
  13. Aug 10, 2012
    I rather enjoy this game. I love the style, and fighting is always interesting. The only thing I really have against it is that I've crashed it a few times, without doing anything to provoke it. This naturally caused issues between my end and the server. But, It all seems to have gotten worked out, I think. Hopefully, it won't happen on Steam, now that it's there.
  14. Jan 28, 2013
    This game, while fun and visually pleasing, can become a bit tedious at times. It would have earned itself a 9, if not for Nexon's greedy money-squeezing tactics.
  15. Jan 30, 2013
    Pretty decent graphics, I was surprised it even ran on my laptop. Action oriented gameplay is also a big plus( no auto attacking here). The bad things might outweigh the good things though, but the question is if you can overlook those bad things. First off there are ''gender locked'' which sucks to me because I couldn't even make a badass male mage, necromancer, or you can't make a bigPretty decent graphics, I was surprised it even ran on my laptop. Action oriented gameplay is also a big plus( no auto attacking here). The bad things might outweigh the good things though, but the question is if you can overlook those bad things. First off there are ''gender locked'' which sucks to me because I couldn't even make a badass male mage, necromancer, or you can't make a big brutish female, no female archer and no male with a sword and shield. Instead I ended up with a female mage who didn't seem cool at all and thanks to the fact the female characters kinda seem to have ''baby'' faces who are care more about being trendy than being a badass and the male dual swordsman reminds me Justin Bieber for God's sake, so hands down the coolest looking ones are the brute and the archer. You can customize their appearance but you can't really make them look much different from how they look before you chose them. There are also avatars in this game though most of these seem more affordable than in DFO, they also have stats on them and they go by level. Though chances are, you'll end up picking the ones that give you the best stats and there really aren't too many avatars from level to level anyway, so there's really not too much variety with that. Also the only way you can change your hair (except from the beginning) is to pay real money and I don't think they're even permanent... which means alot if you care about good character customization like I do. The combat somewhat redeems the lackluster appearance character customization though, since it's fast paced and action oriented without seeming to be ''too fast'' and the boss battles can really get your blood pumping, though after awhile the bosses seem more ''predictable'' and like it's mostly about hit and run tactics. You can also interact with the environment, picking up objects and hitting/throwing them at enemies but I felt little reason to do so since it seems like you really only need to to complete certain quests or to get titles, though you can also sometimes get items or gold sometimes but it's not much plus the objects don't really do any more damage than your weapon would do so you're better off just using your weapon, though can be kinda funny to use random objects on enemies. I also wish it weren't an ''instanced dungeons'' type of game since it does get boring if you do decide to solo. Expand
  16. Nov 27, 2010
    I enjoyed it. Its a great game...but in my mind...it doesnt deserve a 10... it feels like all of the other Nexon games and Age of Chivarly and WoW. I love it... so i gave it a 9... very good game indeed... good graphics...Good Plot...but feels used.
  17. Mar 9, 2011
    Vindictus has a lot going for it even though it is just a F2P MMO, literally everything in this game makes it stand out above every other game Korean MMO that has been brought over by any developer. It breaks the common mold in a huge way and it really paid off as being able to play through really exciting encounters with your friends is extremely rewarding, as does the feeling ofVindictus has a lot going for it even though it is just a F2P MMO, literally everything in this game makes it stand out above every other game Korean MMO that has been brought over by any developer. It breaks the common mold in a huge way and it really paid off as being able to play through really exciting encounters with your friends is extremely rewarding, as does the feeling of similarity with the Monster Hunter series. Without a doubt it's worth every minute you spend downloading the client, a must play for any sort of fast paced cooperative game. Expand
  18. Jun 3, 2011
    I've played quite a few MMORPGs, some paid but mostly free-to-play ones. This is the best free MMORPG I have played, and seems to be better than most subscription based ones. The learning curve is quick, the graphics are very impressive, and the combat system is actually fun. There's not too much to do besides run instances to complete quests, but in a way, that makes it great. The gear isI've played quite a few MMORPGs, some paid but mostly free-to-play ones. This is the best free MMORPG I have played, and seems to be better than most subscription based ones. The learning curve is quick, the graphics are very impressive, and the combat system is actually fun. There's not too much to do besides run instances to complete quests, but in a way, that makes it great. The gear is all crafted, so no need to worry about fighting over drops while in an instance.

One thing I REALLY love: each instance is short, under 15 minutes usually. Some can be ran in 5 minutes or so.

The only flaws I've noticed is the fact that you have to run one quest over and over about 4 times until you can access the next quest in the series. This doesn't happen too often, but certainly can be annoying. I think many of the bosses are too easy, also. But then again, I'm only level 30 :P
  19. Oct 3, 2012
    Honestly, the most frustrating, glaring problems with this game aren't from a number of flaws or problems within the game itself, but from the company that maintains it (or fails to maintain it in this case). Nexon is notorious for their inability to keep their game servers bug free and in working order, leaving one to wonder if they're lazy, incompetent, and/or indifferent to their playerHonestly, the most frustrating, glaring problems with this game aren't from a number of flaws or problems within the game itself, but from the company that maintains it (or fails to maintain it in this case). Nexon is notorious for their inability to keep their game servers bug free and in working order, leaving one to wonder if they're lazy, incompetent, and/or indifferent to their player base. The game itself is easy to learn and fun to play, and isn't strictly pay-to-win like many of Nexon's other titles. It also boasts some fairly crisp and clean looking graphics, and features a rather impressive soundtrack. It's a title that has the potential to be absolutely incredible, but Nexon's truly unfortunate lack of care and competence hold it back and keep it just barely above mediocrity. Expand
  20. Aug 11, 2012
    Great game. Looks great for an online mmo. There's occasional bugs but they seem to be fixed fairly quickly. The fanbase is pretty good size but you run into the same people if your not playing with friends. This game's been out long enough they've worked out most of the kinks and manage to keep adding stuff. It uses the steam engine, although heavily modified.

A few quirks.

A few quirks. One is that except for in town and the large 16-24 person raids, they're hosted on the user's (host) computer. They've done a good job at dealing with a variety of connections. That said if you're going to host a party you must have a good internet connection (no wireless!). Another is the characters. Most are fairly balanced, until they added Kai which is what everyone is going now. Most overpowered class in the game. Kai's have ridiculous power attacks for bosses and are all around versatile whereas the previous classes all had their weaknesses.

Other than that the game is a blast with friends. Unlike other mmos you have a direct involvement on how your character moves and later on 50+ lvl you need to have some skill in movement and attacks to survive. Not to difficult to level up but not exactly a piece of cake either.
  21. Mar 31, 2013
    There is no challenge in this game. Mobs die quickly and easily across the board. This makes gear, crafting, levelling (except to unlock content) and grouping pointless and irrelevant in one fell swoop. Because of this, the game has no driving force to keep you playing. Poor game design to the point of being moronic.
  22. Jun 17, 2012
    This game is great and is a improvement for MMORPG. The story is interesting when I read it on wikia, lol. The game is difficult for me when i'm level 6x and my teammates blamed me. People are just care about their money and make things so expensive. I'm too lazy to collect material for better equipment and i was too lazy to level up; and i quitted.
  23. Aug 27, 2012
    I was of course totally skeptical while downlaoding this " free-to-play MMO" , as most of the games in this genre that begin as " free-to-play " seem to start off that way for good reason. Man, was I in for a shock. So I'm not much for intros and usually I will skip right to the gameplay but as for Vindictus I found myself immediately captivated by the graphics and well edited beginningI was of course totally skeptical while downlaoding this " free-to-play MMO" , as most of the games in this genre that begin as " free-to-play " seem to start off that way for good reason. Man, was I in for a shock. So I'm not much for intros and usually I will skip right to the gameplay but as for Vindictus I found myself immediately captivated by the graphics and well edited beginning cutscenes which introduce the "rookie" hero I chose from 5 or so classes , as well as the introduction of a gorgeous blonde oracle-girl who is trying to save a giant spider that has gone beserk, by protesting to the town militia to prevent them from slaying the creature. The intro is playable and is short enough to be interesting. I was amazed how great the Source Engine looks after all the years since Half-life 2. My laptop has 2 gigs of video memory and is in all cases well-equipped for games. It runs Vindictus beautifully. After contending with the giant spider and saving the blone girl's life the game starts you off in town where you will accept quests before heading out to the dock to begin them. Right from the get-go you will recieve cool gear upgrades and learn from a very intuitive tutorial which teaches all the game's basics. I couldn't help but notice the many different and detailed armor and weapon pieces worn by players levels above me. The art I noticed in the characters' armor and weapon design is simply stunning and extremely intricate. The animation is polished and smooth. The voice acting is more than acceptable and the combat is amazingly fluid and fun. After gaining just a few levels I felt impressed to write a quick review because I quite honestly have never seen a free-to-play game so well crafted. Not ever. A true action-based MMORPG is a great idea and has been expertly executed in Vindictus. Do yourself a favor and give it a play. Expand
  24. Dec 13, 2012
    I really wanted to like this game but the combat is boring, shallow and repetitive. All classes have few active abilities, resulting in a daunting wall of passives with the occasional counter/contextual skill thrown in instead of engaging actives. Combat revolves around positioning and attack pattern memorization; however, because of the lack of active skills, this boils boss fights downI really wanted to like this game but the combat is boring, shallow and repetitive. All classes have few active abilities, resulting in a daunting wall of passives with the occasional counter/contextual skill thrown in instead of engaging actives. Combat revolves around positioning and attack pattern memorization; however, because of the lack of active skills, this boils boss fights down to 20 minute pokefests. Being a Korean MMO, the exp curve gets intense about ¼ of the way up turning the game into a repetitive grindfest of redoing the same dungeons over and over (especially if you're trying to craft because of poor drop rates). Even at the beginning of the game it gets stuck into the typical quest recycling rut forcing you redo areas. Overinstancing, of towns and dungeons, kills immersion & community. Endgame consists of WEEKLY raids. If you have a group to play with this could be fun for a FOTM (or two), but otherwise there are better options for MMOs and Action RPGs elsewhere. Expand
  25. Jan 6, 2013
    Awesome on paper.
    Poorly executed.
    Vindictus has very clean and polished physics aswell as Game-Mechanics, but this is a kudos to VALVe. The whole problem with the game is, that it doesn't bring you any diversity or customization of combat. The skills you can learn provide minimal-to-none difference in combat and in a long-run, you end up doing the same thing over and over and over
    Awesome on paper.
    Poorly executed.

The skills you can learn provide minimal-to-none difference in combat and in a long-run, you end up doing the same thing over and over and over and over again. Very redundant.

The developers obviously haven't thought much of how they want to execute the combat system and ended-up boring the living hell out of the player with the redundancy.

Also the GUI looks very grayscaled and unintuitive to the eye, bad design.
  26. Aug 14, 2013
    Amazing content and gameplay, skill is a major factor and adding one of the best graphics out makes Vindictus truly one of the best Free to play MMO's in the market. However, a terrible company and management system downplays the North American server's potential.
  27. Nov 18, 2013
    They do not respect the user, they don’t even tell you what country/regions are allowed to play at all... You only figure it out (that you can’t play it at all) after downloading 15gb (including updates), many unsuccessful login attempts and searching on the forums for other user’s comments, cause the staff doesn’t do that either.
  28. Feb 13, 2014
    Uses the source engine (same as Half Life 2, counter strike source, etc) so pretty graphics and physics effects. The only real time action game F2P game on the market that is this fast. Tera Online is real time but not as fast. A Highly skill based game since you can't tank to win, you must learn to dodge or be dead. The starting area is pretty dead because you can level quickly in thisUses the source engine (same as Half Life 2, counter strike source, etc) so pretty graphics and physics effects. The only real time action game F2P game on the market that is this fast. Tera Online is real time but not as fast. A Highly skill based game since you can't tank to win, you must learn to dodge or be dead. The starting area is pretty dead because you can level quickly in this game, it is definitely a recommend. Expand
  29. Nov 25, 2012
    Ruined by the typical Free to Play userbase and the greedy Korean-MMORPG-in-game-shop shenanigans, this game still manages to be one of the best online games I have ever played. This is mostly because this game takes the bad part of MMORPGS, farming, and makes it actually fun, since it's not an rpg but a Hack and Slash kind of game. The graphics are awesome and they really put effort intoRuined by the typical Free to Play userbase and the greedy Korean-MMORPG-in-game-shop shenanigans, this game still manages to be one of the best online games I have ever played. This is mostly because this game takes the bad part of MMORPGS, farming, and makes it actually fun, since it's not an rpg but a Hack and Slash kind of game. The graphics are awesome and they really put effort into doing the animations. The game potentially puts you in the position of being able to beat bosses that require a numerous party ALONE, and by doing what? Farming for the best gear? No sir, by mastering the game with SKILLS. Can you believe it? Also, these guys certainly know what they're doing, they used the Source Engine to allow for awesome physics. That's right, this game is World of Warcraft meets Monster Hunter and Devil May Cry, running on Team Fortress 2's engine and in which you can use almost all of the objects you see and use them to bash enemies almost like in Dead Rising, it has a nordic-reminiscent setting with anime characters. It has actually well written dialogues that manage to go a little beyond the excuse plot trope (though there still are stupidities such as NPCs asking you for petty things in such times of war and crisis), and its economy is actually well-organized, being almost completely handled with the user marketplace and at the same time always trying to keep the rich farming kind of users a bit at bay by making you spend money on seemingly annoying things such as periodically repairing armors, setting up auctions and fast travelling, but everything ultimately serves to balance the game. This game deserves respect for many, many reasons, don't be discouraged by the people playing it, the F2P anime game stereotype or by the typically money sucking in-game shop, it speeds things up but it's definitely not of the Pay to Win kind. Props to the Vindictus EU team for holding so many events and for the very fast update pace, even if we had to wait years for the game. Expand
  30. Sep 29, 2012
    i do not need to re-word my post but ill simply say that i agree with pretty much all who rated 8+. Thers a negative rating here however id like to point out that the game has gone thru lots of updates n crap... that review was also 2 years ago =

Great game! and season 2 is just around the corner! :D
  31. Jul 28, 2014
    You can read all reviews here but I am just gonna tell you it's a good game. I played many games since 2010 and this is still the only game I keep playing.
  32. Aug 19, 2013
    The game is awesome, but the coding is far less awesome. I just tried to play it and the first thing was a resolution error that crashed the game before I got it. I managed to fix the resolution and then Microsoft Security Essentials went nuts and crashed the game then froze my entire PC. Restarted and ran the game and it froze my entire PC again when it got to the loading bar screen.The game is awesome, but the coding is far less awesome. I just tried to play it and the first thing was a resolution error that crashed the game before I got it. I managed to fix the resolution and then Microsoft Security Essentials went nuts and crashed the game then froze my entire PC. Restarted and ran the game and it froze my entire PC again when it got to the loading bar screen.

No game should be that difficult to play.
  33. Dec 8, 2013
    Vindictus is a game type that i thoroughly enjoy. I used to play Rakion, which was the original game using this style of gameplay and it was probably my favorite game ever until they implemented the cash store which skewed the level of gameplay too far. Vindictus is a much different game although the same playstyle as Rakion. If you can get past the clunky UI and graphics, the game isVindictus is a game type that i thoroughly enjoy. I used to play Rakion, which was the original game using this style of gameplay and it was probably my favorite game ever until they implemented the cash store which skewed the level of gameplay too far. Vindictus is a much different game although the same playstyle as Rakion. If you can get past the clunky UI and graphics, the game is quite good and immersive. At first it can be an ultimate turn off but once you learn the mechanics I think you will enjoy it. Good luck! Expand
  34. Dec 27, 2013
    Even though the game is really nice made, and the graphic are very nicely done. The game it self is just.. Boring. There is no skills, this is a game where the combo of mouse clicking in the right time matters.
    And the only way to level up or even play is through dungeons. There is no free world to explore.
  35. Feb 28, 2014
    Best fighting in a RPG
    Good things : graphics, fights in Dungeons up to 4 players, group raid againt big boss, different types of quests, transformation into white or black knights, boss scenario, traps
    Less : small World, NPC, crafting, guild, pvp, same type of mobs in a dungeon, only dungeons for fighting, bored when finishing all dungeons Game play : 7/10, graphics : 7/10, back
    Best fighting in a RPG

Game play : 7/10, graphics : 7/10, back ground : 6/10, lifetime : 6/10, community : 7/10
  36. Jun 27, 2014
    This game is simply amazing!!! The graphics are beautiful and the combat is SO fast paced! I love following the story line and getting XP To advance! It is fun to play and even more fun to play with friends! The only downside is that mostly all players are Level 80 So "Colhen" is full of traders. This game is so good that it should be sold like a real game! E.g Call of duty Ghosts ,This game is simply amazing!!! The graphics are beautiful and the combat is SO fast paced! I love following the story line and getting XP To advance! It is fun to play and even more fun to play with friends! The only downside is that mostly all players are Level 80 So "Colhen" is full of traders. This game is so good that it should be sold like a real game! E.g Call of duty Ghosts , Assassins creed 4. I would HIGHLY recommend this game if you like fast paced action. Pick up to 8 characters! Expand
  37. Jun 11, 2014
    (Nexon EU)
    (Nexon EU)
    The game got lagless physical collisions by making those client side. You can fish together by throwing hooks at big fish, pull around monsters with all kinds of tools and get an extra drop when you for example hit a vampire boss with your spear. There are traps. Cash items are almost only visual / for upping exp gain and for carrying more items, if nothing changed after these 3 years.
    Got innocently banned 3 years ago. You have to provide a lot of proof that you didn't cheat, but I never thought a Korean company would ever unban me.
  38. Jan 17, 2015
    A game made b mongoloids, they cannot even syncronise their account info between NEXANS Eu webpage and their game. The game fails at the first step possible. Being able to properly login. Ontop of that their error message guideline gives you guidelines to a page which doesn't exist for **** Great game, most awesome design ever. 2bad it failed@login.

1. Jan 19, 2012
    You might like this game for its detailed characters, over the top weapons and combat animations worthy of a Japanese action game. Unfortunately all the advantages are buried under thick layer of typical hack'n'slash routine. [February 2012, p.59]
  2. Nov 21, 2011
    Your long-term attachment to the game will also be determined by how much of an experience grind you're prepared to undertake (combined with your attitude towards impermanent purchases), and whether the hack-and-slash combat against somewhat repetitive character models is a meaty enough adventure to keep you satisfied.
  3. Jan 26, 2011
    High production values and original gameplay combine to make Vindictus one of the most interesting MMOGs to launch in several years.