War of the Vikings PC

6.1

1. Dec 7, 2013
    It looks like it could be an interesting online battle arena, BUT, in order for them to accomplish what they set out to do they really need to tighten up hit detection, movement, latency issues... pretty much everything needs an enormous amount of polish. that being said, it is an early access view of it, so maybe that is what they will work on. As it is though, going to block an axe withIt looks like it could be an interesting online battle arena, BUT, in order for them to accomplish what they set out to do they really need to tighten up hit detection, movement, latency issues... pretty much everything needs an enormous amount of polish. that being said, it is an early access view of it, so maybe that is what they will work on. As it is though, going to block an axe with a shield, and actually getting the shield between the axe and you, only actually nets you a 50/50 chance of it not cutting your head off. so needs work. Expand
  2. Dec 6, 2013
    Played during free weekend and I would say the game is half decent. The game's visuals are a step up from war of the roses and the game's combat mechanics feels smooth and nice. The problem is aiming feels really slow and attacking has a bit of a strange feel to it which makes it really hard to aim or block and you can almost never run away from an enemy because they will just trip you,Played during free weekend and I would say the game is half decent. The game's visuals are a step up from war of the roses and the game's combat mechanics feels smooth and nice. The problem is aiming feels really slow and attacking has a bit of a strange feel to it which makes it really hard to aim or block and you can almost never run away from an enemy because they will just trip you, and when you are on the ground, they will decapitate you. Yes, this game is in beta but I am sure they will not change the core elements of movement and combat. Though if you really enjoyed War of the Roses and if you are looking for a new game to play with similar mechanics, I would suggest to get this game or at least try it (If it ever comes on free weekend for steam again). Expand
  3. Nov 10, 2013
    2/10 for me at 200+ ping. Cant hit a thing. Very slow to attack, dodge, etc. Awkward controls with having to press left mouse button and a direction for the mouse at the same time, which sends your view all over the place. Looks nice though. If only it had enough players in Australia to make it worthwhile. Maybe come back in a year after official release.
  4. May 14, 2014
    This game requires skill, patience, experience and living in a country which isn't too far from the servers.
    I say the worst thing about it is the lack of servers in some regions of the world, and the regular connection problems (which now are less frequent). I think Fatshark is working on it.

The key to this game is to parry effectively, to be able to mislead the opponent when attacking and to move wisely.
    This game is all about "reading" the opponent. Each player has favorite movements, most of the times he will attack and defend following a pattern (or a combination of favorite patterns) , that's a weakness that can be exploited, all you have to do is to remember and anticipate those patterns, so you can counter them. Your shield is only good at blocking projectiles, in combat you'll need to use your weapon in order to parry. Shields are nearly useless in hand to hand combat, don't rely on them because they don't block sword and axe blows most of the times.

To become a good WOTV player, you'll need to translate your ideas into movements flawlessly and instantly. You'll notice that movements in this game are triggered differently from most other games, since you have to click first and then move your mouse towards the desired direction. This can easily become a problem. It's very easy to move your mouse a little bit to the left or to the right when trying to move it up, or when trying to move it towards any other direction...this usually means death in War of the Vikings, so it's very important to be precise with your mouse movements.

You'll also need to make sure that your internet connection is working at maximum performance (fast connections are recommended). Your distance from the servers is also important, the farther you are from the server, the worse. I recommend to use FRAPS in order to monitor in-game fps, if your fps drop under certain conditions (too many players around), lower your video settings and resolution and turn off vertical sync (in my case, vertical sync caused important fps drops under certain conditions, so I turned it off...fps have never dropped since).

Now let's talk about what's good in War of the Vikings.

Do you like the idea of enemy squad members running away from you after you've cut down all their mates? Do you like the idea of chopping heads off using massive two handed axes and other weapons? Do you like the idea of coordinating with your team mates in order to kill enemy squads or to take control points? Do you like the idea of being able to customize your characters, their weapons, outfits, perks and shield paints? Do you like skill-based games where performance is everything?

If you like those things, you'll probably like War of the Vikings.
  5. Apr 27, 2014
    Well it's not a perfect game but if you are in to skill-based hack 'n slash games it's actually pretty fun, I especially like that the games unlocks are purely cosmetic as this means that everyone is on the same playing field.

1. Jul 14, 2014
    War of the Vikings provides gamers with entertaining and hectic online multiplayer combat that ultimately suffers from a slow unlock system and lack of unique gameplay features.
  2. Jul 9, 2014
    Even after release, War of the Vikings is still at the Early Access level in terms of balance, variety and net-code.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 12, 2014
    War of the Vikings is faster than War of the Roses, but otherwise makes all the same mistakes. Almost fun, but if I want to stare a bunch of gauges, I play flight simulators. Copy melee from Dark Souls, please. [June 2014]