War of the Vikings PC

6.1

1. May 9, 2014
    My group of friends bought this game and I was skeptical of this genre due to the imperfections of chivalry and others like it. Sadly our game industry has fell to where everyone gets instant gratification. Jump in and disregard the learning curve, and trust me it took 5 hours to get this game down and im still getting the hang of it. Once you get past the clunky sword system its actuallyMy group of friends bought this game and I was skeptical of this genre due to the imperfections of chivalry and others like it. Sadly our game industry has fell to where everyone gets instant gratification. Jump in and disregard the learning curve, and trust me it took 5 hours to get this game down and im still getting the hang of it. Once you get past the clunky sword system its actually alot of fun. In my opinion the sword system forces the user to think and position oneself alot more than games such as chivalry and there is a good amount of strategy when engaging in a sword fight. Expand
  2. Nov 18, 2014
    This game received a lot of bad press and reviews and hate. Honestly, I can't understand why. It had a suboptimal start with some bugs and netcode-issues, but in it's current state it's an amazing game. I'm a dedicated gamer with over 300 games on my account, I'm gaming excessively for 25 years now and I would go as far to say that this is the best multiplayer-game I ever played. TheThis game received a lot of bad press and reviews and hate. Honestly, I can't understand why. It had a suboptimal start with some bugs and netcode-issues, but in it's current state it's an amazing game. I'm a dedicated gamer with over 300 games on my account, I'm gaming excessively for 25 years now and I would go as far to say that this is the best multiplayer-game I ever played. The graphics are the most beautiful I've ever seen in a game, a true piece of art. Actually the game in motion looks much better than the screenshots. The maps are extremly well designed and detailed, setting a new standard. You can literally see the great amounts of love that the devs put into them. Also sounds and music add nicely to the atmosphere and complete the great presentation. The gameplay itself is simple in it's elements but is in result very deep and skill-based. Easy to understand, but hard to master, like it ideally should be. The combat is fast, tactical, uncomplicated and satisfying. All upgrades you can unlock are purely for prestige and visuals, which is great since it doesn't create disadvantages for new players while it's still rewarding. Only drawback of this game is the small community, which makes it difficult to find other players early in the morning and in the middle of the night, but it doesn't bother at the rest of the day. Another little issue might be the beserker-class, which rewards spamming a bit too much. The game would be better without them but I don't see it as a serious issue since berserkers have very limited potential. In conclusion I got to say it makes me really sad to see that such a beautiful game doesn't get the attention it deserves, while millions of people pay 60 bucks for CoD every year. Makes me honestly question the future of gaming, it's industry and it's consumers. I guess the low success is a combination of bad marketing and the fact that most players today get frustrated by a game which requires a few hours to develop decent skills in, compared to CoD where you just need to know how to pull a trigger. And surely this game had a tough start, but every major multiplayer-game has these days. In this case community and publisher/devs were sadly very impatient, which is disappointing. But even more I'm disappointed by the market (respectively consumers), since it apparently doesn't reward an elaborated, ambitious, well-designed game which hasn't an advertising-budget of billions and in which you will get killed many times in the beginning since it's really skill-based and requires some learning. Expand
  3. Mar 30, 2014
    This games takes the hack and slash of WoTR and speeds it up so that you really feel the intensity of combat. The game is still in early access but is about to be released.The game encourages team play through squad and squad heals. However, you are not forced down the team play ally and you can do your own thing if you wish. The developers seem to really care about what the community hasThis games takes the hack and slash of WoTR and speeds it up so that you really feel the intensity of combat. The game is still in early access but is about to be released.The game encourages team play through squad and squad heals. However, you are not forced down the team play ally and you can do your own thing if you wish. The developers seem to really care about what the community has to say and has time again listened to the community when it comes to changes or suggestions.

Many of the reviews here talk about ridiculous ping issues and server crash issues. Indeed, that was the case earlier in Early Access, but more recent updates make server crashes a thing of the past. As for ping, that is solely due to the server location and your distance from it, it is nothing to do with the game engine (eg: if you are in the US and play on a EU server you will inevitably have high ping).
  4. Nov 30, 2013
    Highly recommend War of the Vikings. It is a great continuation of the "War of" series. Well designed combat system that is vastly improved over War of the Roses. Developers are great at working with the players to ensure a quality game. In the Alpha release the game feels whole. There are a few issues with netcode but the developers have made this a top priority to be completed forHighly recommend War of the Vikings. It is a great continuation of the "War of" series. Well designed combat system that is vastly improved over War of the Roses. Developers are great at working with the players to ensure a quality game. In the Alpha release the game feels whole. There are a few issues with netcode but the developers have made this a top priority to be completed for the Beta. Considering the game is still in early access and the developers have addressed any issues the full release of the game looks to be the best in its genre. The combat system is a bit hard to learn at first and has a fairly steep learning curve, in order to address this issue the game has created special moves for melee weapons that make it easier for the newer players in the game. The beta is due to release soon with tons more extra content. If one is familiar with War of the Roses new features include (but are not limited to): Stamina, throwing weapons, doge abilities, sprinting, special moves, battle chatter, and 3 character class types (each with different armour). Highly recommend the purchase of this game, the only real problem is trying to stop playing the game is so good. Expand
  5. Jan 21, 2014
    Fast and brutal skilled based game play, that will get your adrenalin rushing through your body as arrows, javelins and throwing axes fly by your head! Outsmarting people is key to victory in this game, and you'll get fight till the bitter end! This game is one heck of a good game play experience, since most of the players are mature gamers. Comparing this game to such a title asFast and brutal skilled based game play, that will get your adrenalin rushing through your body as arrows, javelins and throwing axes fly by your head! Outsmarting people is key to victory in this game, and you'll get fight till the bitter end! This game is one heck of a good game play experience, since most of the players are mature gamers. Comparing this game to such a title as Chivalry, is like comparing chess with uno. A must for history lovers and viking-enthusiast! Personally I can't wait for the full release! Expand
  6. Mar 4, 2014
    Many negative reviews are back from december, this is now march and the game is still in Beta. I think gamers need to realise the difference between a released game and a beta game. MetaCritic is incorrect stating this game was released on Oct 1, 2013. I have now played the beta for 3+ months and all the issues mentioned in the negative reviews have been fixed and the game is so much fun.Many negative reviews are back from december, this is now march and the game is still in Beta. I think gamers need to realise the difference between a released game and a beta game. MetaCritic is incorrect stating this game was released on Oct 1, 2013. I have now played the beta for 3+ months and all the issues mentioned in the negative reviews have been fixed and the game is so much fun. Think CoD with a ton of customization gone viking raiding era. Fast paced, highly skill based, hard learning curve first hour but once you get the hang of it after that, you're an addict. So stay away if you don't wanna get addicted :)

Corrections to previous reviewers, there is NO pay to win in this game as someone states, all customization is purely cosmetic and all weapons have the same "stats'. Also having played war of the roses and war of the vikings both with 200+hours each, war of the vikings is very fast paced in comparison and not slower.
  7. Oct 7, 2013
    A sequel to War of the Roses, this game features timing- and physics-based combat along the lines of Mount and Blade's classic series of games. Graphics are much improved over the engine of that game, and its armor system is slightly improved with the addition of armor based hit-zones... unlike WotR, set in the medieval times, WotV does not have any heavier armors or mounted combat,A sequel to War of the Roses, this game features timing- and physics-based combat along the lines of Mount and Blade's classic series of games. Graphics are much improved over the engine of that game, and its armor system is slightly improved with the addition of armor based hit-zones... unlike WotR, set in the medieval times, WotV does not have any heavier armors or mounted combat, instead adding beards and thrown weapons. Expand
  8. Oct 16, 2013
    Very promissing and truly wonderful game, worth every penny. Improved combat system according to War of the Roses, new classes closer to chilvalry, but taking best parts still from war of the roses. For me the best game in its class
  9. Nov 4, 2013
    Just can't get enough of this game. And it's only in Alpha early access! Still finding out new ways to fight, new tactics to try. Real competition in what feels like a real down and dirty streetfight vs Saxons or Vikings. Gorgeous maps, more on the way. Recommended.
  10. Apr 12, 2014
    this game is so much fun and challenging it makes you hyped and prepared for everything and its full of entertainment and different modes and different classes and you can make your own character also and own loadout.
  11. Apr 27, 2014
    I don't know why everyone is hating on this game I mean it isn't perfect, but if you're in the target audience then I think you will love this game (after you conquer its steep learning curve though)
  12. Jun 20, 2014
    A very good follow up to War of The Roses, TRY IT!! :

+ : fast paced combat, more balanced than WOTR, Arena and Pitched Battle modes are awesome, graphics/sounds are great, a unique multiplayer combat experience. Lots of choices of class and interesting gameplays since v 1.2!

- : some stabilities/optimisations issues, can be hard for newcommers, hitboxes sometimes feel weird.
  13. Sep 29, 2015
    Un jeux super fun dans le quel on prend plaisir à foncé dans la bataille avec une Hache a deux mains, une épée et un bouclier... grand plaisir aussi avec les archers trouver une bonne position pour tirer sur l’ennemi à distance... vraiment super amusant ce jeux, j'espère qu'il vous plaira et que du contenue sorte pour ce magnifique jeux de simulation de bataille à l'ancienne !

1. Jul 14, 2014
    War of the Vikings provides gamers with entertaining and hectic online multiplayer combat that ultimately suffers from a slow unlock system and lack of unique gameplay features.
  2. Jul 9, 2014
    Even after release, War of the Vikings is still at the Early Access level in terms of balance, variety and net-code.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Jun 12, 2014
    War of the Vikings is faster than War of the Roses, but otherwise makes all the same mistakes. Almost fun, but if I want to stare a bunch of gauges, I play flight simulators. Copy melee from Dark Souls, please. [June 2014]