- Summary: War Thunder is a next generation MMO combat game dedicated to World War II military aviation, armored vehicles, and fleets. You will take part in all of the major combat battles, fighting with real players all over the world.
Aug 2, 2015There are no other game like this one! One of the best session MMO games and best WWII themed game! Different modes for everyone, differentThere are no other game like this one! One of the best session MMO games and best WWII themed game! Different modes for everyone, different game options... like dualshock -go grab and play, like serious sim games - welcome to the sim battles! every platform for everyone!… Expand
Dec 18, 2013There can be either World of Tanks or World of Warplanes, even they are better too, THIS is THE BEST war simulator I have ever played and willThere can be either World of Tanks or World of Warplanes, even they are better too, THIS is THE BEST war simulator I have ever played and will play, tho.… Expand
Nov 19, 2014In comparison to World of Warplanes, War Thunder is certainly well and far apart from the arcade action of World of Warplanes. It is a reallyIn comparison to World of Warplanes, War Thunder is certainly well and far apart from the arcade action of World of Warplanes. It is a really beautiful game and the most endearing feature is the fact that all around the graphics are gorgeous and the sound is terrific. There certainly is a good sense of immersion in the game and the game has multiple modes and more realistic modes such as campaign, Realistic and Simulation. However...
What this game doesn't tell you is that there are certain things just are just huge turn offs and you don't readily find this until once you've played a bit. The biggest detractor is that as a Russian developer, there is an easily noticeable bias towards Russian planes. This game is flight sim-ish in its approach however you'll quickly start to realize that that for some reason Russian planes seem to have physics defying flight models similar to UFO's and that it takes a lot more to effort, work and firepower to shoot down a Russian (even a slow moving Russian bomber or outdated bi-plane) than it is for you to get shot down by them.
The other major detractor is the bias towards mouse based flight controls. Joystick users are left to fiddle with a complex array of attributes to get their own joystick working, where as mouse users have an easier time executing maneuvers. Whats more, every patch you'll need to rework and find what flight models of planes that were working fine, no longer flying right.
It still is a great game and I do recommend playing it. However if you are a hardcore flight sim enthusiast with a love of historical accuracy you'll be disappointed after the initial marvel wears thin.… Expand
Apr 20, 2015My review at a glance:
- Good graphics - Very good sound - Simple, yet precise controls - Many different planes to fly -ThreeMy review at a glance:
- Good graphics
- Very good sound
- Simple, yet precise controls
- Many different planes to fly
-Three different gamemodes / difficulty levels (Arcade, Realistic, Simulator)
- XP gain (to unlock more vehicles) is extremely low, UNLESS you spent quite some real money (especially painful when trying to research vehicles higher than Tier 3 (out of 5))
- Matchmaking is often unfair
- You can't fly all planes / drive all tanks in Simulator difficulty anymore
Why only 4 points then:
This game used to be good, until:
- Matchmaking got screwed up. Vehicles now have a "battlerating" which often has very little to do with its performance / historical era. So it can easily happen you are facing Korean War jets while flying a WWII propeller plane. You are also highly likely to face post-war tanks in your 1943 models, which means your skill doesn't really matter anymore, you're highly likely to get wrecked (literally). This ruins the realistic approach the game would like to have.
- A few months ago you used to have a x2 XP bonus for the first victory WITH EACH OF THE 5 AVAILABLE NATIONS (USA, GB, Russia, Germany, Japan). (Similar to World of Tanks.) This motivating system was recently replaced by daily log-in rewards. They are extremely less powerful than the old boost, and those rewards even expire after 3 days. They do stack, so you can use them all at once, but their outcome is highly diminished upon stacking.
- Pay-2-win slowly but surely gets more and more.
Right now I would not recommend this game. It used to be a fun game, so two years ago I would have praised it and advertised it. But today, even more with the latest developments, I fear there's little point in playing it for fun. Unless one is willing to pay a lot of money...
Still, PLEASE read other reviews too, because they will vary from mine! My point of view of course is different than other players'! Keep that in mind when considering whether to start playing War Thunder or not.
But I got of the worsening changes. (I'm not tired of the gameplay though. So if one is able to forget about all the issues there are, this game can be great fun.)… Expand
Nov 30, 2013i have spent 25 minutes, just trying to get into the game. 13 minutes went to waiting for the stupid thing to download the patch. 10 minutesi have spent 25 minutes, just trying to get into the game. 13 minutes went to waiting for the stupid thing to download the patch. 10 minutes went to some stupid thing called an outdated video driver. 2 minutes went to being speechless.… Expand
Sep 29, 2015This is a good game. However, I have proven it for false advertising, and have contacted BBB. A game bonus that is to last for over a dayThis is a good game. However, I have proven it for false advertising, and have contacted BBB. A game bonus that is to last for over a day was only allowed once on several occasions for only one time. Since my complaint filed, I have been kicked out of game and the only way I could get back in was changing my password. Well now a counter to that has been implemented by War Thunder has made sure that even my password change won't allow me back into the game. They are ripping people off, and I highly recommend NOT giving this game and Gaijin a single dime. They think, apparently, that they are above law, and to prove my sincerity, my complaint ID with BBB is: 10820803. Also, my virus protection showed from their download a high-risk file: SAPE.Heur.9C040 or SAPE.Heur.9CO4O, and I let my virus protection people know about it.… Expand
- (47 views)