8.9

1. Oct 10, 2012
    After playing DoW: Retribution and loving it a friend told me this game was also pretty good, and quite frankly, this game exceeds Retribution, True, last stand is a great and fun game mode, but this game is so much more. While retribution's campaign is lackluster and feels like all you do is build a deathstar, this game rewards ingenuity, and each match feels like multiplayer. AnotherAfter playing DoW: Retribution and loving it a friend told me this game was also pretty good, and quite frankly, this game exceeds Retribution, True, last stand is a great and fun game mode, but this game is so much more. While retribution's campaign is lackluster and feels like all you do is build a deathstar, this game rewards ingenuity, and each match feels like multiplayer. Another great addition to campaign is AI's that fight back, something that was so lacking in retribution I was only able to complete a paltry 3 campaigns.
    In review: great game, good replay value, still has O.K. graphics despite being 6 years old
  2. Dec 27, 2013
    what can i say about this game? it happened to be the first game i played on pc and it is really hard to describe it... it.... MAN THIS GAME WAS F*CKING AWESOME!
  3. Ndi
    May 14, 2013
    Probably the best DOW ever, rivaled by only the original. Excellent replayability, interesting races, and a good overall campaign and story. Last good one before adding insanely detached races like sisters of whatthatwas and ruining the experience with DOW2.

Not a 10, however, because it has some downsides: Cutscenes are lazy. Every time something interrups the speaker, you can hear the person finish the sentence and exhale, waiting for a second bfore he is "interrupted". Animations are poor in cutscenes, and they dulled the razor sharp units. Shackled creation of elite units, dulled damage. The low damage makes sharp painful combat be a long, dull, drawn out engagement, much like WC3.

Also not a 10 because they are already slacking on the factions. Necrons are beautiful, but Tau is lazy, with many units being very similar in appearance. Too long range, overpowered when in AI hands that micromanages.

But, with a nice, replayable, boss-fight campain it is one heck of a game. Too bad they didn't polish it a bit more. Better voice acting and cutscenes would have made this and incredible game. Also, they nerfed the Dreadnought. Pity.
  4. Mar 31, 2011
    Top of the line as far as strategy games go. It works like risk where you attack once a turn, but instead of rolling dice you battle rts style. The game focuses on proper squad management over infrastructure, and you really get rewarded for great tactics instead of memorizing hotkeys. You can spend points on various upgrades like elite units or boosts similar to what you'd find in risk,Top of the line as far as strategy games go. It works like risk where you attack once a turn, but instead of rolling dice you battle rts style. The game focuses on proper squad management over infrastructure, and you really get rewarded for great tactics instead of memorizing hotkeys. You can spend points on various upgrades like elite units or boosts similar to what you'd find in risk, and while the campaign doesn't really have much story since the other factions can win or lose at any time, its certainly a fresh look at the genre. Expand
  5. Sep 1, 2011
    When I got Dawn of War, I was instantly hooked. I then Proceeded to get Winter Assault. Even better! But failing to find Dark Crusade, I turned to Soul Storm, which is the let down of the series. A year later I get Dark Crusade. From the second I picked it up, I noticed something. This was much better than Soul Storm, an alleged improvement. Nowadays, with Dawn of War already up to theWhen I got Dawn of War, I was instantly hooked. I then Proceeded to get Winter Assault. Even better! But failing to find Dark Crusade, I turned to Soul Storm, which is the let down of the series. A year later I get Dark Crusade. From the second I picked it up, I noticed something. This was much better than Soul Storm, an alleged improvement. Nowadays, with Dawn of War already up to the second expansion of Dawn of War 2, I STILL prefer Dark Crusade. It has a terrible balance, however, because most races are better at fighting than others, and some are just weak until WAY down the research chain (I'm looking at you IG, with your strong as paper infantry, and crazy strong tanks). Still, Dark crusade forced you to sometimes lose a province to destroy a stronghold, which has always made me double-check every move I made. In my opinion, this could never be as tedious as Retribution (It's the same map and enemies 7 times, woo hoo?). Expand
  6. Dec 19, 2011
    Excellent strategy game for those who are bored with StarCraft. This is the best Dawn of War game in my opinion and exceeds Soulstorm and the Dawn of War II series. The gameplay is unique and refreshing to say the least and the graphics are pretty damn good for a 2006 title I recommend this game to anyone that enjoys the 40k universe or RTS in general.
  7. Apr 12, 2012
    An excellent expansion, and a great standalone game in its own right. Dark Crusade provides a tremendous amount of content at a stellar price. The game gives one the choice of any of seven distinctive, well-balanced factions for use in a campaign on a Risk-style map. No two factions play alike; this, coupled with the fact that each faction's individual campaign is tailored to its backAn excellent expansion, and a great standalone game in its own right. Dark Crusade provides a tremendous amount of content at a stellar price. The game gives one the choice of any of seven distinctive, well-balanced factions for use in a campaign on a Risk-style map. No two factions play alike; this, coupled with the fact that each faction's individual campaign is tailored to its back story, makes successive playthroughs of the game feel like new experiences rather than stale repetitions. This gives the game immense replayability. Needless to say, the gameplay is a lot of fun as well, and the campaigns are structured such that the battles fought therein do not feel repetitive.

Fans of Warhammer 40K will love this game. I suggest to anyone that they buy Platinum Edition (the original Dawn of War plus Winter Assault and Dark Crusade) so as to get the entire experience, but if you must choose only one of the series, Dark Crusade is your best bet. 10/10
  8. Jan 14, 2013
    This is, by far, one of the most fun RTS games on the PC. The gameplay isn't balanced for competitive play, and the graphics are getting dated, but the great 40k lore and loads of interesting units more than make up for its shortcomings. If you can find a used copy somewhere, or it happens to be on sale on steam, grab this game ASAP.
  9. Jan 18, 2014
    this is not just one of the best rts games ever made it is also one of the best all time games ever made.
    this is a must buy for warhammer 40k fans and rts fans
  10. Apr 27, 2014
    Really the best Warhammer 40k strategy game. I just like the necrons and the gameplay (espacially the multiplayer). If you like Strategy games this is a must have ...
  11. Dec 25, 2011
    I seldom give perfect scores, but Dark Crusade deserves one. It's campaign replayability value is incredible (the dialogues between army commanders shine) and there are good times to be had playing this game online with mates. A standalone expansion with 7 playable, pretty balanced races and it should be cheap as dirt right now. If you don't own it, just get it. I'm serious. All-around,I seldom give perfect scores, but Dark Crusade deserves one. It's campaign replayability value is incredible (the dialogues between army commanders shine) and there are good times to be had playing this game online with mates. A standalone expansion with 7 playable, pretty balanced races and it should be cheap as dirt right now. If you don't own it, just get it. I'm serious. All-around, it's the best DoW to date. Expand
  12. Dec 28, 2010
    This game IMHO ruined the single player story line of the Dawn of War series, as it introduced multi-race Campaign, so the story entirely depends on what race you chose, whereas the original had a very good story line that was only made for one race therefore the story was better. But I will admit that this game did increase the replay value and made multiplayer allot better.
  13. Nov 24, 2012
    This game ruined what could have been the best RTS game series ever, and is the single most driving reason why I have never bought another THQ/Relic game at full price when it was first released since that time. Having played the original DOW and Winter Assault, I was a die hard DOW fan and supporter; but the play and deviation from the original first person story line of the first twoThis game ruined what could have been the best RTS game series ever, and is the single most driving reason why I have never bought another THQ/Relic game at full price when it was first released since that time. Having played the original DOW and Winter Assault, I was a die hard DOW fan and supporter; but the play and deviation from the original first person story line of the first two took so much joy out of the game that I never bothered to finish it. Expand
  14. JackG.
    Oct 16, 2006
    Poor story, poor movement, poor game.
  15. EdoardoV.
    Oct 23, 2006
    The game is very good as the other WH40k ones. Good graphic, excellent music and sounds, wonderful settings and animations. The two added races (Necron and Tau) are very well designed. The campaign mode is a good RISIKO type territory conquest. Unfortunatly for THQ I do not appreciate the purely commercial initiative with the multiplayer mode: if you want to play with the old races you The game is very good as the other WH40k ones. Good graphic, excellent music and sounds, wonderful settings and animations. The two added races (Necron and Tau) are very well designed. The campaign mode is a good RISIKO type territory conquest. Unfortunatly for THQ I do not appreciate the purely commercial initiative with the multiplayer mode: if you want to play with the old races you have to install (buy) "Dawn of War". dark Crusade is a 4.4GB big game, it allows you to play all races in single player, WHY I HAVE TO PAY MORE TO PLAY ONLINE WITH SOMETHING I ALREADY HAVE? I am not pleased, I expect the gamers' community will not be pleased too. Expand
  16. Mobius
    Nov 6, 2006
    have to say that this third game is perfect. i love how the necrons seem invicable and the fighting units are unable to capture stratagy points, this is much more a tactical game with plenty to offer.
  17. BillH.
    Nov 21, 2006
    I'm a huge fan of the first two games, this third edition is absolutely horrible. They've taken away the ability to play the factions in unique methods which differ from what the computer does in replay by way of unit restrictions which affect each and every existing faction so severely as to essentially make the game actually different from the first two. Unfortunately, this I'm a huge fan of the first two games, this third edition is absolutely horrible. They've taken away the ability to play the factions in unique methods which differ from what the computer does in replay by way of unit restrictions which affect each and every existing faction so severely as to essentially make the game actually different from the first two. Unfortunately, this difference is not an improvement in my personal opinion. The risk-like campaign mode is new and interesting, but after two turns at it you begin to spot glaringly obvious balancing issues. It promises a sequel after completing the campaign, but I've already quit playing this one. There seems to be a movement in the game development industry as of late to restrict options of gamers, this saddens me greatly, this isn't the first good game I've seen destroyed by that mentality. I don't think it will be the last either, the first two are excellent and I highly recommend them, however, this latest edition is a complete waste. Expand
  18. Richard
    Feb 7, 2008
    I bought Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War + Winter Assault almost three years ago, and it was a pretty cool game back then. My friend and I would play it online and have a good time. However with Relic releasing these expansions I thought I'd put my thoughts down here. I bought Dark Crusade last year. My criticisms about this game are agitated by the fact that Relic keeps releasing more I bought Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War + Winter Assault almost three years ago, and it was a pretty cool game back then. My friend and I would play it online and have a good time. However with Relic releasing these expansions I thought I'd put my thoughts down here. I bought Dark Crusade last year. My criticisms about this game are agitated by the fact that Relic keeps releasing more and more races into the online mix, (Nine total with the next expansion), and its become just silly. You cannot take this game seriously anymore, and while it's cartoonistic humour and style used to suit it well. It's become to the point where Relic dirtied the bath water with a bunch of filthy pointless races that don't complement the others at all. Every race has become foreign around the next, and it doesn't play smoothly like it used to when there were only four races. When it was the first game, vehicles like the dreadnought were immensely powerful and exciting to watch as they threw around squads and ripped through them. With every 'balance' patch relic has released, their sole idea was to NERF other units down to balance the gameplay instead of bump the other units up. After almost four years of patching in this fashion, Warhammer's battles are now painfully slow, the units take an incredibly long time to die, not helped by the instant reinforcement feature. I find that the excitement and the fast-paced gameplay is no-more because of Relic's constant balance nerfs. Secondly, the end result of having NINE races into the Warhammer mix is that this game is now IMPOSSIBLE to properly balance. And any attempt by Relic's traditional nerfing will simply cause slower and slower-paced fighting. I am positive that this game's future is dead. My four is given to this game mainly because of the way it's been handled over the years. It's just been terribly poor and the original depth to it has been filled in with poor design. The original pace and character of the series is utterly gone with the arrival of these new expansions. It seems like they just churn out their ideas constantly. And some of these ideas are just disturbing, they have three races revolving around Death, one based on Feminists, another two on technology worship, and the last on religious fanaticism. The Orks main theme is stupidity, seriously, the developers spell everything wrong in the Ork descriptions. ??? In conclusion, this game used to be really something, but Relic's deadening patches and un-inspired expansions have proven to be more like a cancer. There is not a chance in hell they can ever straighten out this gameplay as far as I can see, and the game is just no longer fun. It's just silly. Expand
  19. BenjaminS
    Feb 7, 2008
    I bought Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War + Winter Assault almost three years ago, and it was a pretty cool game back then. My friend and I would play it online and have a good time. However with Relic releasing these expansions I thought I'd put my thoughts down here. I bought Dark Crusade last year. My criticisms about this game are agitated by the fact that Relic keeps releasing more I bought Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War + Winter Assault almost three years ago, and it was a pretty cool game back then. My friend and I would play it online and have a good time. However with Relic releasing these expansions I thought I'd put my thoughts down here. I bought Dark Crusade last year. My criticisms about this game are agitated by the fact that Relic keeps releasing more and more races into the online mix, (Nine total with the next expansion), and its become just silly. You cannot take this game seriously anymore, and while it's cartoonistic humour and style used to suit it well. It's become to the point where Relic dirtied the bath water with a bunch of filthy pointless races that don't complement the others at all. Every race has become foreign around the next, and it doesn't play smoothly like it used to when there were only four races. When it was the first game, vehicles like the dreadnought were immensely powerful and exciting to watch as they threw around squads and ripped through them. With every 'balance' patch relic has released, their sole idea was to NERF other units down to balance the gameplay instead of bump the other units up. After almost four years of patching in this fashion, Warhammer's battles are now painfully slow, the units take an incredibly long time to die, not helped by the instant reinforcement feature. I find that the excitement and the fast-paced gameplay is no-more because of Relic's constant balance nerfs. Secondly, the end result of having NINE races into the Warhammer mix is that this game is now IMPOSSIBLE to properly balance. And any attempt by Relic's traditional nerfing will simply cause slower and slower-paced battles. I am positive that this game's future is dead. My four is given to this game mainly because of the way it's been handled over the years. It's just been terribly poor and the original depth to it has been filled in with short-sighted design. The original pace and character of the series is utterly gone with the arrival of these new expansions. It seems like they just churn out their ideas constantly. And some of these ideas are just disturbing, they have three races revolving around Death, one based on Feminists, another two on technology worship, and the last on religious fanaticism. The Orks main theme is stupidity, seriously, the developers spell everything wrong in the Ork descriptions. ??? In conclusion, this game used to be really something, but Relic's deadening patches and un-inspired expansions have proven to be more like a cancer. There is not a chance they can ever straighten out this gameplay as far as I can see, and the game is just no longer fun. It's just silly. Expand
  20. bootsy
    Aug 31, 2009
    Awesome RTS! I have bought the gold pack wich icludes winter assault/gold and dark cruisade. This is probably the best RTS i have played so far, i especialy like the necron race to play the campain with. The only reason why i did not give a 10 is because in the skirmish mode the easy , notrmal, hard settings are not well balanced. especialy the normal mode is pretty hard already (harder Awesome RTS! I have bought the gold pack wich icludes winter assault/gold and dark cruisade. This is probably the best RTS i have played so far, i especialy like the necron race to play the campain with. The only reason why i did not give a 10 is because in the skirmish mode the easy , notrmal, hard settings are not well balanced. especialy the normal mode is pretty hard already (harder then normal campain mode). Other then that, plain awesome game! Expand
  21. ChrisD.
    Oct 14, 2006
    A fantastic expansion to an already fantastic game. A bargain at twice the price, it's a steal at $29.99. The addition of two complete new races and new units for the existing races is great on it's own, but the new campaign mode is superb! Plenty of variety to be had here, with seven completely different races, plenty of maps to play on, and plenty of customization. A fantastic expansion to an already fantastic game. A bargain at twice the price, it's a steal at $29.99. The addition of two complete new races and new units for the existing races is great on it's own, but the new campaign mode is superb! Plenty of variety to be had here, with seven completely different races, plenty of maps to play on, and plenty of customization. There's a lot of game to be had here. Expand
  22. PatE.
    Oct 15, 2006
    The best RTS game hands down! Go out and get your copy too!
  23. Docsilat
    Oct 17, 2006
    I am just starting this game but so far it is awesome! I am a casual gamer and was generally a FPS fan until this series converted me. The new turn based strategic level is very nice. It is great to be able to play through the campaign as any one of the seven races. I think if you enjoyed the first game , you'll enjoy this new addition as well. It looks great and plays very well thus I am just starting this game but so far it is awesome! I am a casual gamer and was generally a FPS fan until this series converted me. The new turn based strategic level is very nice. It is great to be able to play through the campaign as any one of the seven races. I think if you enjoyed the first game , you'll enjoy this new addition as well. It looks great and plays very well thus far. It's great that it is "stand alone" and the price is quite reasonable for what you are getting ! I recommend it ! Expand
  24. JohnD.
    Oct 20, 2006
    I wonder the one who said this game is poor. I need reason because I don't see it at all. By the way,this game is awesome.
  25. JonB.
    Oct 22, 2006
    One of the Best RTS since Starcraft, a must have title.
  26. MarkS.
    Oct 25, 2006
    I picked this up based on reading many comments that Company of Heroes borrowed heavily from Dawn of War for the game play. I bought this as well as the gold edition of Dawn of War (which includes the Winter Assault expansion) so that I could, if I wished, play all factions online. Although this is an expansion pack, it does not require you to own the original game. The only limitation, I picked this up based on reading many comments that Company of Heroes borrowed heavily from Dawn of War for the game play. I bought this as well as the gold edition of Dawn of War (which includes the Winter Assault expansion) so that I could, if I wished, play all factions online. Although this is an expansion pack, it does not require you to own the original game. The only limitation, is that all of the factions which are available in the single player campaign and skirmishs are not availble for online play. For that you must own and install the original game and use those CD keys to vaildate in the Dark Crusades expansion. This is an excellent game from an outstanding company. The graphics are very good considering the date of the original, and widescreen resolutions are available natively. Having the DVD in your drive is not required for play, which is something I wish all game makers would consider implementing. Expand
  27. DakotaS.
    Oct 25, 2006
    I've never been much of an RTS fan, but this game is starting to win me over. The SP campaign lets me choose my own path, and I really dig the commander upgrades. IDidn't even have to buy the original game to play it. Best 30 dollars I ever spent.
  28. RoyJ.
    Oct 25, 2006
    One of the best games out there right now! The tau stronghold is something born from my most pleasent of dreams!
  29. DavidM.
    Oct 25, 2006
    This game is serious Pwnsaur for sure! I cant believe how much content they added for a expansion. Anyone who cries about needing more look at expansions from the past! Nothing even close to this!
  30. Arno
    Oct 25, 2006
    I just love this game, the addition of the Necron is just plain good.

The campaign mode is absolutely interesting and fits wonderfully within the Warhammer 40,000 universe. It's a great beginning to something that we're sure will be bigger and better in the future and provides a ton of gameplay hours and exciting moments.
  2. An enormous amount of top-drawer content for $29.99, and newcomers may rightly mistake it for a full blown sequel. Highly recommended.
    By adding more stuff for you to admire and kill, and more places and ways to do it, Dark Crusade gives the already lively Warhammer RTS universe even more life, personality, blood, and meat. It's a gory, giddy delight, with more depth and gameplay than ever.