8.9

1. Dec 25, 2011
    I seldom give perfect scores, but Dark Crusade deserves one. It's campaign replayability value is incredible (the dialogues between army commanders shine) and there are good times to be had playing this game online with mates. A standalone expansion with 7 playable, pretty balanced races and it should be cheap as dirt right now. If you don't own it, just get it. I'm serious. All-around, it's the best DoW to date. Expand
  2. Dec 28, 2010
    This game IMHO ruined the single player story line of the Dawn of War series, as it introduced multi-race Campaign, so the story entirely depends on what race you chose, whereas the original had a very good story line that was only made for one race therefore the story was better. But I will admit that this game did increase the replay value and made multiplayer allot better.
  3. Oct 10, 2012
    After playing DoW: Retribution and loving it a friend told me this game was also pretty good, and quite frankly, this game exceeds Retribution, True, last stand is a great and fun game mode, but this game is so much more. While retribution's campaign is lackluster and feels like all you do is build a deathstar, this game rewards ingenuity, and each match feels like multiplayer. Another great addition to campaign is AI's that fight back, something that was so lacking in retribution I was only able to complete a paltry 3 campaigns.
    In review: great game, good replay value, still has O.K. graphics despite being 6 years old
  4. Dec 27, 2013
    what can i say about this game? it happened to be the first game i played on pc and it is really hard to describe it... it.... MAN THIS GAME WAS F*CKING AWESOME!
  5. Mar 31, 2011
    Top of the line as far as strategy games go. It works like risk where you attack once a turn, but instead of rolling dice you battle rts style. The game focuses on proper squad management over infrastructure, and you really get rewarded for great tactics instead of memorizing hotkeys. You can spend points on various upgrades like elite units or boosts similar to what you'd find in risk, and while the campaign doesn't really have much story since the other factions can win or lose at any time, its certainly a fresh look at the genre. Expand
  6. Dec 19, 2011
    Excellent strategy game for those who are bored with StarCraft. This is the best Dawn of War game in my opinion and exceeds Soulstorm and the Dawn of War II series. The gameplay is unique and refreshing to say the least and the graphics are pretty damn good for a 2006 title I recommend this game to anyone that enjoys the 40k universe or RTS in general.
  7. Sep 1, 2011
    When I got Dawn of War, I was instantly hooked. I then Proceeded to get Winter Assault. Even better! But failing to find Dark Crusade, I turned to Soul Storm, which is the let down of the series. A year later I get Dark Crusade. From the second I picked it up, I noticed something. This was much better than Soul Storm, an alleged improvement. Nowadays, with Dawn of War already up to the second expansion of Dawn of War 2, I STILL prefer Dark Crusade. It has a terrible balance, however, because most races are better at fighting than others, and some are just weak until WAY down the research chain (I'm looking at you IG, with your strong as paper infantry, and crazy strong tanks). Still, Dark crusade forced you to sometimes lose a province to destroy a stronghold, which has always made me double-check every move I made. In my opinion, this could never be as tedious as Retribution (It's the same map and enemies 7 times, woo hoo?). Expand
  8. Apr 12, 2012
    An excellent expansion, and a great standalone game in its own right. Dark Crusade provides a tremendous amount of content at a stellar price. The game gives one the choice of any of seven distinctive, well-balanced factions for use in a campaign on a Risk-style map. No two factions play alike; this, coupled with the fact that each faction's individual campaign is tailored to its back story, makes successive playthroughs of the game feel like new experiences rather than stale repetitions. This gives the game immense replayability. Needless to say, the gameplay is a lot of fun as well, and the campaigns are structured such that the battles fought therein do not feel repetitive.

Fans of Warhammer 40K will love this game. I suggest to anyone that they buy Platinum Edition (the original Dawn of War plus Winter Assault and Dark Crusade) so as to get the entire experience, but if you must choose only one of the series, Dark Crusade is your best bet. 10/10
  9. Jan 14, 2013
    This is, by far, one of the most fun RTS games on the PC. The gameplay isn't balanced for competitive play, and the graphics are getting dated, but the great 40k lore and loads of interesting units more than make up for its shortcomings. If you can find a used copy somewhere, or it happens to be on sale on steam, grab this game ASAP.
  10. Ndi
    May 14, 2013
    Probably the best DOW ever, rivaled by only the original. Excellent replayability, interesting races, and a good overall campaign and story. Last good one before adding insanely detached races like sisters of whatthatwas and ruining the experience with DOW2.

Not a 10, however, because it has some downsides: Cutscenes are lazy. Every time something interrups the speaker, you can hear the
    person finish the sentence and exhale, waiting for a second bfore he is "interrupted". Animations are poor in cutscenes, and they dulled the razor sharp units. Shackled creation of elite units, dulled damage. The low damage makes sharp painful combat be a long, dull, drawn out engagement, much like WC3.

Also not a 10 because they are already slacking on the factions. Necrons are beautiful, but Tau is lazy, with many units being very similar in appearance. Too long range, overpowered when in AI hands that micromanages.

But, with a nice, replayable, boss-fight campain it is one heck of a game. Too bad they didn't polish it a bit more. Better voice acting and cutscenes would have made this and incredible game. Also, they nerfed the Dreadnought. Pity.
  11. Jan 18, 2014
    this is not just one of the best rts games ever made it is also one of the best all time games ever made.
    this is a must buy for warhammer 40k fans and rts fans
  12. Apr 27, 2014
    Really the best Warhammer 40k strategy game. I just like the necrons and the gameplay (espacially the multiplayer). If you like Strategy games this is a must have ...
  13. Oct 29, 2014
    For the Emperor!

Dark Crusade (DC from now on) is a RTS game set in the Warhammer 40K universe, and that much you knew. What you probably didn't knew is that this game is awesome! The sheer number of different units makes the game varied and interesting, with dozens upon dozens of models. The units emanate charisma from every angle, faithful to the boardgame ones. The story is
    interesting enough, and the main campaign can hook you up for days.

The balancing is superb, with no unit feeling overpowered or useless. It has not a resource gathering mechanic -well, it does, but revolves around the capturing and holding of key points rather than trees, iron and the like. A smart move, since the combat for key points is the heart of the boardgame.

Visually it's okay, but it has aged - and it shows. The gripes I have with the graphics are about some special effects, with a few ingenuities regarding monitor resolution, resolved by mods. Because it's open to mods!

Overall a great game, and a must for every RTS appassionate.
  14. Dec 7, 2012
    Dark Crusade is a rare triumph in PC strategy gaming. The 7 races are rich both in character and in fighting style, each with a substantial variety of different infantry and vehicular units, as well as an epic pantheon of heroes. The story mode is interesting and varied, and can be played through multiple times with different races and outcomes. Probably the most impressive element of this epic game, however, is the shockingly versatile camera, allowing for stunning cinematic battle scenes completely in real-time. The only downsides (and there are few) are the terrible difficulty customization, which changes enemy unit strength instead of their strategy, and the limited multiplayer options for those who don't own the core game. Overall, though, these really don't even put a dent in the overall experience. Buy this game and bring the grim darkness of the far future straight to your PC! Expand
  15. Sep 9, 2012
    This Expansion is really perfect. Adds 2 races, interesting changes in gameplay, massive campaign with good replay value and new units for old races. This addon is definitely worth a try for every RTS fan. For fans of DoW a must buy.
  16. Nov 24, 2012
    This game ruined what could have been the best RTS game series ever, and is the single most driving reason why I have never bought another THQ/Relic game at full price when it was first released since that time. Having played the original DOW and Winter Assault, I was a die hard DOW fan and supporter; but the play and deviation from the original first person story line of the first two took so much joy out of the game that I never bothered to finish it. Expand
  17. PKO
    Mar 30, 2013
    Benjamin S: Your review, I think, was logical up till the point that you reiterated that nine races was obscene and that the themes taken by the writers for some races were questionable. This made me realize you probably have never rolled a dice nor played the tabletop game of this wonderful game. There are in fact more races than nine in the tabletop form of the game, and the "balance" is made by making each individual really good at something, but lacking in something else. For example, Eldar had tons of specialist troops that were really good at what they do (Dire Avengers absolutely pouring out shots like it was nothing),but were extremely fragile and somewhat expensive as far as points. If there were a universal "balance" of power, then I agree, gameplay would become pretty boring as the races seem to be intertwined. That's why the developers at the former company of THQ added more races with different attributes, which can clearly be seen in the Tau's overall godliness at shooting, the space marines being expensive but good at everything, the Eldar's speed, the Necron's toughness, and the imperial guard and ork's strength in numbers. Your criticism of the themes that the people at THQ had for their races also rings hollow when you dig into some of the tabletop game's lore. Orks are meant to be stupid, they're fungi made into a humanoid form. Necrons and Tau basically worship technology but their lore says why. Necrons made a pact with a god who appears as a metallic figure to immortalize their race as they were facing extinction, but the god turned them into soulless machines to do his bidding to pretty much annihilate anything. The Tau worship technology because they were deprived of it. Think of going to a third world country with an iphone, or even better think of Hernan Cortez being worshipped as a god by the Incas for his appearances, ships, and horses. I'm assuming the death theme has to do with the Chaos faction. That should really be a no brainer, there has to be a villainous character, so why not exemplify it into an entire race who, in the lore, attempted to kill the Imperial Guard's/Space Marine's god? Feminist's? The only feministic race I could think of in Dark Crusade would be Eldar, and yeah that's just because the founders of the table top game just made like that to fit their attributes of sneakiness and deception. So really, all your problems with the dev's as far as themes are honestly unfounded because they took most of the content from the tabletop game. Warhammer 40k deserved a game and got it, to go astray from the game now would just be utter stupidity. Expand
  18. Aug 22, 2014
    It's a standalone DLC for the real game that surpasses its base in every way, though you should still buy the original and maybe Winter Assault for the extra multiplayer races.

An RTS made by Relic, it deviates from other games in the genre by having units grouped into squads beforehand. As much as I hate Warhammer, this game was just excellent in general, especially with the
    territorial conquest in single player.

I'd recommend getting the game on Steam so that you can still play online MP (moved from GameSpy to Steamworks) or just buy the Amazon DRM-Free copy and check the game's forums. There's a pinned article from SEGA with a link to a website where they accept box codes and give Steam keys out to retail owners.

The campaign mode is absolutely interesting and fits wonderfully within the Warhammer 40,000 universe. It's a great beginning to something that we're sure will be bigger and better in the future and provides a ton of gameplay hours and exciting moments.
  2. An enormous amount of top-drawer content for $29.99, and newcomers may rightly mistake it for a full blown sequel. Highly recommended.
  3. By adding more stuff for you to admire and kill, and more places and ways to do it, Dark Crusade gives the already lively Warhammer RTS universe even more life, personality, blood, and meat. It's a gory, giddy delight, with more depth and gameplay than ever.