• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 18, 2009
8.1

1. Oct 18, 2011
    This was no fun at all. except the missions where you defend against waves. INSANE repetition of maps, you will play the same map at least 3 times with similar objectives. Losing men is meaningless, you just retreat and recharge. EVERY situation can be dealt with the same way, lead the enemy to a bottleneck. The AI is non existent, units simply charge at you, or wait until you get in theirThis was no fun at all. except the missions where you defend against waves. INSANE repetition of maps, you will play the same map at least 3 times with similar objectives. Losing men is meaningless, you just retreat and recharge. EVERY situation can be dealt with the same way, lead the enemy to a bottleneck. The AI is non existent, units simply charge at you, or wait until you get in their viewing range.
    Massive step back in every respect except graphics.
    this is disappointing after the previous DOW games. No buildings just removes an element from the game without adding a thing. Except superior graphics and destructible environments, no advancements and all removals of features.
  2. May 10, 2011
    Don't get me wrong, the game has some things I like about it, specifically a unique blend of RPG and RTS, not to mention that it has the name of Warhammer 40,000. But like many of the other people who expressed frustration with this game, I felt like it just barely missed being exceptional with a few short-sighted mistakes (including lackluster AI, early-launch bugs, and unbalanced play).Don't get me wrong, the game has some things I like about it, specifically a unique blend of RPG and RTS, not to mention that it has the name of Warhammer 40,000. But like many of the other people who expressed frustration with this game, I felt like it just barely missed being exceptional with a few short-sighted mistakes (including lackluster AI, early-launch bugs, and unbalanced play). The fatal blow to the game in my mind was the repetition. Did they really launch a game with only a handful of maps (campaign) and then expect you to play each one until you can recreate it in your head down to the very last pixel? This is one of the few times that I've been very disappointed with the professional critics because I think they missed the mark in a major way. I understand that they want to support a company who tries something new (i.e. blend multiple genres), but the game simply doesn't rate as well as the critics claimed (which is evident in the fact that, for once, the professional critics have a higher rating than the users). Expand
  3. Dec 10, 2011
    For completely unknown reasons there are game designers who think you can never have enough generic 'zerg the world' games: And it seems they all worked on DoW2.
    There is no strategy in this game; there are barely any tactics in this game; but if you're a 6 year old moron and can be entertained for hours on the strength of pretty colours and sparkly lights then you'll find plenty in DoW 2 to love.
    A massive step backwards for the franchise and seriously damaging to the entire GW brand.
  4. Jun 16, 2012
    Hugely dissapointed, They took away everything that was great about DOW1 and pretty much screwed it up. The battles aren't epic, the lack of base building isn't fun, and the races are all the same and boring. I had really high hopes for this game, I seriously wish I could return this.

2 for graphics.
  5. Feb 3, 2011
    I've seen PopCap browser games with more depth than Dawn of War 2. Not Strategic thinking needed here - this is pure point-and-shoot action with the added "Spice" if hitting your special abilities whenever the cooldown is up. Moving your units is not smooth, either, given that they attempt to stick to cover regardless of where you want them to go. Boring, insipid, and an insult to fans ofI've seen PopCap browser games with more depth than Dawn of War 2. Not Strategic thinking needed here - this is pure point-and-shoot action with the added "Spice" if hitting your special abilities whenever the cooldown is up. Moving your units is not smooth, either, given that they attempt to stick to cover regardless of where you want them to go. Boring, insipid, and an insult to fans of the original who opened their wallets for three expansions while waiting on this game. Expand
  6. Feb 24, 2011
    I know I'm a little late coming, but I had to add my two cents. This game ruined the DoW franchise for me. The fact that I *HAVE* to be connected to steam(resource hog) and Microcrap live angers me. I'm a die hard skirmish map player, and the skirmish maps in this game are impossible. The population cap is ridiculous, leaving the player with too few troops to defend the strategic points.I know I'm a little late coming, but I had to add my two cents. This game ruined the DoW franchise for me. The fact that I *HAVE* to be connected to steam(resource hog) and Microcrap live angers me. I'm a die hard skirmish map player, and the skirmish maps in this game are impossible. The population cap is ridiculous, leaving the player with too few troops to defend the strategic points. The bases are TOO heavily armored and take years to destroy. Even in the Retribution Beta it took 4 leman russ tanks, 1 manticore, and 1 baneblade nearly 15 minutes to destroy the base. The campaign mode is..just anti-climatic, there's little or no strategy involved. What is the point of gathering up all this war gear if you just lose it at the end of the game? Why not have it unlock the gear for skirmishes? Of course that would require the skirmishes to actually be playable.
    I don't know HOW this game scored so highly, it's the worst version of the DoW franchise to date. I'll stick with Dark Crusade thanks. At least till they fix this pathetic game.
    About the only good thing I can say about this game is the graphics are decent..when they aren't too busy bogging down the computer.

This is not RTS. It does not 're-define' the RTS genre because it's not RTS. It may as well be turn-based. I think the only other time I've been SO disappointed in a game sequel was the pathetic excuse for a sequel to Deus Ex. Now THERE was a genre-bending, innovative game. But, like this game, the sequel was a pale shade of the original game. Don't pay more than $10 for anything involved with this game. It's worth ten bucks. Maybe...
  7. Jul 9, 2011
    I believe Warhammer is a game loved by people who play the fantasy version. Though the graphics are simply awesome, the game leaves a lot to be desired from the strategy side of things. Folks, strategy implies that there are choices you can make that change the way the game unfolds--there is no such thing here. This game is boring after the video "awesomeness" wears out (and thatI believe Warhammer is a game loved by people who play the fantasy version. Though the graphics are simply awesome, the game leaves a lot to be desired from the strategy side of things. Folks, strategy implies that there are choices you can make that change the way the game unfolds--there is no such thing here. This game is boring after the video "awesomeness" wears out (and that doesn't take long). Expand
  8. Jul 13, 2011
    I was a big fan of the original Dawn of War, so I was pretty excited when Dawn of War 2 came out. This game is probably the most disappointing sequel I have ever purchased! I understand them tweaking the gameplay a little, the first game just had large armies colliding into each other on the battlefield, which isn't very realistic or tactical. BUT I was rarely ever bored with the firstI was a big fan of the original Dawn of War, so I was pretty excited when Dawn of War 2 came out. This game is probably the most disappointing sequel I have ever purchased! I understand them tweaking the gameplay a little, the first game just had large armies colliding into each other on the battlefield, which isn't very realistic or tactical. BUT I was rarely ever bored with the first game, unlike it's sequel which I often found myself only mildly amused. Units don't feel powerful anymore, especially the commander units (except for vehicles), and everything just seems tame compared to the first game. Expand
  9. Jul 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 10â Expand
  10. Dec 18, 2011
    I played half of this poorly produced RTS and had so many issues with it, I decided to uninstall it 50 hours in. I normally beat games, but this travesty was so horribly produced it had almost no RTS value at all. Strategy is non-existent in this 'real time' piece of junk. I'd just like to iterate that i've never played a game with such a horrible saving system, unrealistic fightingI played half of this poorly produced RTS and had so many issues with it, I decided to uninstall it 50 hours in. I normally beat games, but this travesty was so horribly produced it had almost no RTS value at all. Strategy is non-existent in this 'real time' piece of junk. I'd just like to iterate that i've never played a game with such a horrible saving system, unrealistic fighting scenarios, or horrible jerky controls (That you CANNOT reprogram, by the way). Slamming the escape button does nothing, and hitting ctrl alt del will do nothing but save the game. I uninstalled this after trying to give it a shot, but it was just so horribly made I couldn't continue any further. Real Warhammer doesn't consist of 4 heroes and 4 squad-mates taking on entire battalions of Orks. This is a flaming pile of **** Pirate it if you truly want to play it. Expand
  11. Nov 12, 2011
    After playing this game for an hour, i thought to myself, 'why don't I like it?'
    Even though the physics and graphics on this game are good, the multiplayer is awful, the game shouldn't even be a Dawn of war. Compare this to DOW Soulstorm and you'll see a massive difference in gameplay (and graphics).
    If you are a fan of the 40k universe, then play this.
    If your knew to it, buy the previous games
  12. Dec 28, 2011
    I was severely underwhelmed and disappointed by this game. Whereas DoW was a true RTS, DoW2 was pushed more in the direction of a hybrid of RTS and ARPG. The single player campaign was very disappointing as you control four of six marine squads going through the same exact handful of maps with the only difference being the loot you pickup and the boss at the end. A complete lack ofI was severely underwhelmed and disappointed by this game. Whereas DoW was a true RTS, DoW2 was pushed more in the direction of a hybrid of RTS and ARPG. The single player campaign was very disappointing as you control four of six marine squads going through the same exact handful of maps with the only difference being the loot you pickup and the boss at the end. A complete lack of creativity in mission structure and goals. You're either going through the map destroying everything or defending your position against several waves of enemies. It quickly becomes stale, boring, and repetitive with the only reason to continue on being what new abilities your squads get and new gear they come across.

Mulitiplayer isn't bad, but nothing to write home about either. Last Stand is the most popular mode where you control a single hero unit and go up against increasing waves of enemies and try to last as long as possible.
  13. May 30, 2013
    Big disappointment after Warhammmer 40k dawn of war Why remove base building just why... Played the game for 4-6 hours and got bored if you want a good RTS just buy dawn of war 1
  14. Feb 3, 2013
    I loved the first game in the series, the base building, while less than most other RTS games, was still solid, and balanced with the game play. It was, it's own game. I LOVED it.

Then this game came out. Absolutely HATED it, they took everything I loved from 40k, and just threw it right out the window. Lets take out all the base building, most of the vehicles, and EVERY single element that could even be close to macro-managing in favor of uselessly elongated matches.

And the campaign...they decided they'd make a bunch of 1v1 maps, then just port them all into the campaign. Want interesting match-ups? Too bad. Wanted to do a space marine rush/push? Too bad, because you have to work with 4 squads of 3, which entails sitting around for a long time waiting for them to kill massive spam of enemies.

Worst RTS I've ever played, by far.
  15. Nov 18, 2013
    Absolute and utter crap. It seems like fun the first couple of missions, and a steady stream of gear and loot. However suddenly it turn into an absolute crapfest. You think you've got better and better gear, however for some reason the enemy gets just 10x faster upgrades or something. At midgame, my entire team got entirely wiped out from a single attack by a boss. It makes you angryAbsolute and utter crap. It seems like fun the first couple of missions, and a steady stream of gear and loot. However suddenly it turn into an absolute crapfest. You think you've got better and better gear, however for some reason the enemy gets just 10x faster upgrades or something. At midgame, my entire team got entirely wiped out from a single attack by a boss. It makes you angry because it's no strategy or tactics involved whatsoever. Feels like a cheap and crappy android pay-to-win game. As a former Warhammer player, I am sad to say this game has wasted 5-6 hours of my life. Do not buy. Expand
  16. Apr 6, 2015
    I will start with this; I was disappointed. I have played the Dawn of War series since the first part. For those who have played the first part, think about what you had to do. You had to build a base, manage resources, and place defenses to protect you from the enemy. Dawn of War 2 takes that, and throws it out the window. In the multiplayer mode (I'll get onto the rest later), all youI will start with this; I was disappointed. I have played the Dawn of War series since the first part. For those who have played the first part, think about what you had to do. You had to build a base, manage resources, and place defenses to protect you from the enemy. Dawn of War 2 takes that, and throws it out the window. In the multiplayer mode (I'll get onto the rest later), all you have is one building and two turrets. All the units are available in this one building, and there is only one unit that can place turrets. The strategic points, crit points and slag deposits are gone, and in their places are power and requisition resource points. I understand that some people will say that it focuses more on the tactics, but in the 1st game you had to plan out not only where to go but how to manage your resources. The games that I've played, both with bots and other players, were horrendously short compared to the first. None of that artillery and heavy vehicles also, apart from two or three tanks. I also have to point out the absurdness of the DLC's. The Chaos Space Marines (!) are locked off, and instead we get a Zerg-like alien race. I judge the game by what the base game is, and not by what the DLC's add in. What is even more annoying is that the game even allows you to play against them, the game shows you the race, waves it in front of your face, then snatches it away and asks for another 10 Euros. At least in the first game the races just did not show up if you didn't own them. In conclusion, the multiplayer mode is an offense to the first game. If you want the multiplayer, get Dawn of War 1 with the Dark Crusade DLC. It will be cheaper and more fun than the Second game with the Dark Crusade DLC (I heard that the Retribution is actually decent)
    Moving on to the single-player. The story follows a newly-appointed Force Commander of the space marines - whose name we choose - and his squad. I won't say any more to avoid spoilers. The story is very good. I really like that the squad leaders have names: Tarkus - the leader of the tactical marines, Cyrus, the leader of the Scouts, and more. The voice acting is good and the different teams have lots of diversity. One thing that has been mucked up in the story is the acquiring of Wargear (I'm not even going to mention the tons of Wargear DLC). Wargear is... wait for it... dropped! The whole sense of achievement and customization is gone and replaced with crates that drop the wargear. The rest, though is fairly good.
    Now we come on to the Last Stand mode (By the way, there's a DLC that allows you to play the Last Stand mode! What's the difference? You don't have to open Dawn of War 2! Let me ask you. Is this worth 7 Euros?), and while the mode is fun. It is quite repetitive and unless you want to pay 10 Euros for the Chaos rising DLC, this time two races are locked off! By this rate in the next dawn of war you will have to buy a DLC to play as the Space Marines. This time we are deprived of the Tyranids - the alien race, which would be very useful for this mode. Basically we are thrown into an arena with two other players and we have to survive as long as we can (sound familiar?)In this mode, the random wargear drops make more sense, but what's the point if you can just buy the DLC and get it right away?
    And here I come to the biggest problem with the game. The DLC's. There are 22 of them! Literally, I checked on Steam. This includes: the last standalone- The Last Stand in a Standalone client version(7 Euros). Wagear Packs (7 packs 1 euro a piece) The Ultramarines pack - a replacer for the marines (7 Euros). Keep in mind that all the above mentioned are DLC's that only work if you get retribution.(15 Euros). There are DLC's for DLC's in this game! But I'm not done. There are also Wargears for Last Standlaone, and skin pack that cost 7 Euros. The Grand Master Edition of this game( All DLC's) costs 58 euros! For around that cost that cost you could get the first game with the Dark Crusade addon for you and two friends (It would cost approx 60 Euros). The amount of DLC's is shocking. This puts Call of Duty to shame.
    If you value your money, wait for a sale. Alternatively, get the First game, buy the Dark Crusade DLC and install a graphics mod. It's cheaper. I have to give credit to the voice actors and to the team behind the graphics. As to the rest, a poor effort. For a few steps forward and many leaps back, I give this game a 3 out of 10.
  17. Sep 21, 2014
    dumbed down version of the originals and the expansions are poor as well hopefully dawn of war 3 will go back to its roots..........................................................
  18. Jan 18, 2015
    Very bad game, I do not recommend. My score is 0, sorry only that he can not below 0, the game is boring as all the strategies, the only thing that coh 2 game worse than this

The single-player mash-up of RTS and RPG elements works really well, and the multiplayer is fast and exciting. Relic's reinvention of the Dawn of War brand is a breath of fresh (or possibly fetid, Tyranid infested) air.
  2. Dawn of War II is a highly innovative twist on the usual RTS formula that dares to think outside the box while staying true to the WH40k source material. Campaign co-op play is a great addition to the already superb single player game but the head-to-head multiplayer skirmish is a bit of a disappointment.
  3. Dawn of War was a finely tuned game with huge battles and many disposable troops. Dawn of War II is faster, lighter, smaller, in some ways more interesting and in other ways somewhat lacking in its execution. But taken as a whole it’s impossible to not recommend the game to 40K fans and to those who are willing to accept that this is not a linear sequel to an aging franchise.