• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 18, 2009
8.1

1. Jul 28, 2012
    Okay, I'll be honest with you. At first, having tried the demo and a taste of what DoW2 has to offer, I was sorely disappointed by the drastic change from the gameplay of the original game. HOWEVER, I still decided to give it a shot and I'm so glad that I did. The game plays differently, (there's no building, and more about squad abilities and tactics) but this is by no means bad. TheOkay, I'll be honest with you. At first, having tried the demo and a taste of what DoW2 has to offer, I was sorely disappointed by the drastic change from the gameplay of the original game. HOWEVER, I still decided to give it a shot and I'm so glad that I did. The game plays differently, (there's no building, and more about squad abilities and tactics) but this is by no means bad. The campaign is quite engaging and you're given a number of varied squads to improve and upgrade throughout the game, and that is by far my favourite part. There is choice involved in missions, outfitting and strategy, making an overall flamboyant single player campaign. The co-op is just as sweet. But wait there's more. The cream of the crop is the multiplayer and The Last Stand where you take on hordes of monsters with 2 other heroes. Great additions all way round. Long story short, yes it is a massive departure from DoW1's style but it is fortunately just as good in its own right. I certainly have respect for the devs for changing things up and trying out something new, and I'm glad that they've still kept the strength of this series and its ability to constantly impress me. Expand
  2. Jul 21, 2012
    Dawn of War 2 is an RTS/RPG-hybrid where the player takes control of a maximum of four squads of units. Standard RTS-controls apply. Each squad comes with a squad leader that can level up between missions and equip new items that are looted on the battlefield or gained as a mission reward. After each mission the player will be asked to choose the next mission objective from a star mapDawn of War 2 is an RTS/RPG-hybrid where the player takes control of a maximum of four squads of units. Standard RTS-controls apply. Each squad comes with a squad leader that can level up between missions and equip new items that are looted on the battlefield or gained as a mission reward. After each mission the player will be asked to choose the next mission objective from a star map where they will be able to see how much time is left for a mission, what the rewards are and what kind of assets are available on the planets. The ultimate goal is to stop the Tyranid threat which is represented by a bar that is constantly filling up as time goes by. Focus too much on one planet and you won't be able to save another. During missions there are three types of assets to be captured and each asset gives the player a strategic advantage. Winning the game relies on finding the time to capture these assets but not lingering around for too long as it diminishes the chances of gaining another deployment for that day. The more deployments per day that you secure, the slower the Tyranid threat grows and the more experience your troops gain. When 2 players engage in co-operative play, they will each be assigned two squads and although these are locked during the RTS stage, the players are allowed to both seamlessly control the interface during the RPG/tactical planning phase. As the person whom I played DoW 2 with put it "the Warhammer universe is endlessly repeating itself" so the story is just that; familiar. Sounds and video are excellent, the game looks and plays brilliantly. Although I am not a very big fan of the Warhammer universe, this game is legendary. Most fun can be had in co-operative play with a like-minded friend and my only grievances with it are the fishtank soundbug, the inclusion of GFWL and the inability to rebind your special abilities and accessoires! Collapse
  3. Nov 3, 2011
    Singleplayer was great, although filled with cheese. No room for character development with space marines, but I guess that's how they were created. Once the tryanids came in, you did see some repeating missions, but they were avoidable for the most part. Great strategic gameplay, and I loved the loot and the abilities (SO! MUCH! LOOT!!!!).

The multiplayer modes seem well balanced,

The multiplayer modes seem well balanced, although I haven't touched them enough to give a rock-solid review on them. Last Stand is incredibly fun, constantly having me come up with new and interesting ways to slaughter hordes of enemies (although there's some loadouts that are clearly better).

Some may not like the squad based gameplay, and I was a little confused with it at first, but it grows on you. Instead of most RTSs where individual units are usually expendable, keeping units alive in this game is crucial (multiplayer). As long as one squad member survives, you can replenish the squad, so their upgrades and levels don't go to waste. The entire squad gets gibbed, you lose their vital experience. That's not to say that you can't beat higher level enemies, but it's certainly harder.
  4. Oct 4, 2010
    Dawn of War II is an excellent game in its own right. However, it is easy to understand how fans of the first game feel slightly wronged after having played it. It is very different compared to the first game, perhaps too much so for it to be called a direct sequel. But if you only look at it as a game it is still quite a great one.

The visuals are very nice and the gameplay is fluid and

The visuals are very nice and the gameplay is fluid and fun. Dawn of War keeps setting the standard for visceral combat in the RTS genre.
  5. Nov 25, 2010
    Beautiful campaign mode. Great voice acting. Great action. Wonderful ability to outfit your team and unit selection. nice graphics.
    A Rare game that is nearly perfect as far as a role play campaign is concerned.
    2 thumbs up!
  6. Sep 25, 2011
    Ein sehr gelungenes und spannendes Spiel, macht mir heute immer noch SpaÃ
  7. flyntj
    Jan 6, 2010
    pretty fun like the multiplayer stuff and survival mode, main quest is fun though a little boring after a while
  8. Jul 28, 2012
    I find it rather odd how people are complaining about the RPG elements in the singleplayer mode. Warhammer 40k having RPG elements is bad? Did people have a lapse of memory as to what 40k is? The RPG elements do a better job of resembling collecting figures, building your army, and rolling dice than having completely uncustomizeable units. I mean seriously...

GFWL is a complaint? It's

GFWL is a complaint? It's free. I honestly do not understand why people think it is such a hassle. Aside from the automatic sign in as the game launches, you wouldn't even notice that GFWL exists until you play multiplayer. Making an account takes a minute unless you're handicapped in some regard. I've had GFWL for 7 years now and never in my entire usage did I encounter the kinds of problems people commonly complain about. I get it, it sucks having to use it. I completely agree, but that alone doesn't make it bad.

Retreat is definitely an issue, but this is more of a Relic issue, not a DOWII issue. Relic did the same **** in COH and they realized people were upset by it so they're changing it. I agree, the current retreat feature is completely oversimplified.

Aside from "it wasn't like the old game", the removal of base building can be seen as a good thing. Your focus is shifted completely off of bases and onto combat. This allows for combat to be significantly more intricate than before, but as several others have pointed out, the Orks and Tyranids don't play very uniquely.

If you believe the singleplayer is overly easy and you can spam retreat to save yourself, you must have been playing on Normal. Try that on Primarch. I dare you. Yes, you can complete the campaigns on Normal with almost no thought involved. As soon as you start trying to maximize tokens (>80% of units killed, no squads incapacitated, very short clear time), as well as playing on Primarch, the single player becomes very challenging and thoughtful.

As for other simplifications from the original DOW, these criticisms are completely valid. The game easily could have had more content and customization. The lack of scope in the game is a completely valid change, as it places more importance on individual units and how you use them in combat instead of "amass X number of unit Y, use this build order, rush". Those kinds of "strategies" can be just as repetitive and if you won't admit it you're lying through your teeth.

I could have sworn PLAYING THE FULL GAME was a prerequisite to writing a review.
  9. AronRoy
    Oct 4, 2009
    More diversity is in need for the music and the maps. The game music range from DoW 1 was quite excellent and more diverse in its subjects. Otherwise an excellent game. AND there is a bug with the Heavy Autocannon from the dreadnought, sometimes it doesn*t fire, but the ability is realoading without any enemies having recieved fire, quitre annyoing..
  10. SamT
    Feb 23, 2009
    This game takes all of the good bits from CoH and the heroes and levelling up from an rpg mixes them together with some good old fashioned warhammer violence and comes up with something very special... Definitely the future of rts gaming
  11. AndreasG.
    Feb 24, 2009
    A very good game, reinvents RTS in lots of ways and removes parts that doesn't make much sense. Singleplayer was fun and different from other RTS games, though there was some parts of repetitiveness. Multiplayer is also very fun and allows for a lot of different strategies, where combined arms beats spamming any day. Multiplayer could use a bit more unit variety at the end game A very good game, reinvents RTS in lots of ways and removes parts that doesn't make much sense. Singleplayer was fun and different from other RTS games, though there was some parts of repetitiveness. Multiplayer is also very fun and allows for a lot of different strategies, where combined arms beats spamming any day. Multiplayer could use a bit more unit variety at the end game though. All in all the problems are somewhat easily fixed and there's a huge potential in what could be upcoming downloadable content and expansion packs. The future will only make this game even better. Expand
  12. AlexandreM
    Jan 20, 2010
    Even without building elements this game is awsome!! All the battlesare really intense. If u like RTS, check it out
  13. AnonymousMC
    Feb 20, 2009
    Great take on a tired genre. Not perfect, but heading in the right direction. I'm giving extra credit for innovation and taking a big risk, we need to reward this. Otherwise it's a solid 8.5 game with potential to get even better if they live up to their DLC promises.
  14. ZackS
    Mar 2, 2009
    this game not only tries to reinvent the the RTS formula but succeeds in every imaginable way. This is a huge improvement over the first in every single way. Theirs a reason relic is one of the best devs out there. This game only fortify s that claim.
  15. YashaPahomi
    Mar 3, 2009
    This game offers you a two unique gameplay expiriences. The single player campaign with the RPG expiriens. And the skirmish multiplayer RTS expirirence. And, what really matters, that bowth parts are made so well and splesh on the player so mutch anger, force, and fun that it's imposible to stop playing. And it all comes with tons of details and variety of abilities and strategies.This game offers you a two unique gameplay expiriences. The single player campaign with the RPG expiriens. And the skirmish multiplayer RTS expirirence. And, what really matters, that bowth parts are made so well and splesh on the player so mutch anger, force, and fun that it's imposible to stop playing. And it all comes with tons of details and variety of abilities and strategies. It's worth 100 out of 10!!! Expand
  16. Kyle:
    Mar 4, 2009
    this is a great game, the only reason i dont give it a full 10 is sometimes the units go a little retarded and thats very important for a melee player like me. i dont want my units standing around when they are being fired upon. it also feels like when i play i am too easily out ranged and just get blasted, but i guess it is what it is. dominate when things are slightly in my favor. greatthis is a great game, the only reason i dont give it a full 10 is sometimes the units go a little retarded and thats very important for a melee player like me. i dont want my units standing around when they are being fired upon. it also feels like when i play i am too easily out ranged and just get blasted, but i guess it is what it is. dominate when things are slightly in my favor. great game, and its fun having a choice of commanders and wargear for them in order to really customize gameplay besides colors. i agree, i would like to see more campaign and more races added, but for what it is, its amazing and judging by DoW1 there should be expansions on the way. Expand
  17. KristofferP
    Mar 8, 2009
    This game has given me something I really whished for, the possiblility to play ranked games with my friends (Starcraft, Dawn of War 1and Comany of Heroes all had a very flawed 3v3) It also takes about 15-20min to complete a game opposed to the 1h matches of Starcraft. But the best part is that it is fast, fun and full of blood
  18. JonW
    Mar 9, 2009
    This is an exceptional game. I have enjoyed it since the beta, even though there have been a couple multiplayer balance issues the presentation, the gameplay and extreme emphasis on tactics is truly refreshing. Be warned that if you think RTS skill is definied by how well you can micromanage haverster units to gain an economic advantage you will be dissappointed. This is a game that This is an exceptional game. I have enjoyed it since the beta, even though there have been a couple multiplayer balance issues the presentation, the gameplay and extreme emphasis on tactics is truly refreshing. Be warned that if you think RTS skill is definied by how well you can micromanage haverster units to gain an economic advantage you will be dissappointed. This is a game that emphasizes tactical manuever not extremely large armies. In other words if you like Total War as opposed to Starcraft you'll be very satisfied with this game. Expand
  19. jj
    Apr 10, 2009
    So what if it doesn't have base building, This is the closest thing to the table top game that you will get. anyone who knows warhammer will be delighted with this game. The way you can use cover and pure tactics means everything to any general. Victory in this game is hard to come by online I have found, but when you win, it really really feels good.
  20. KeithS
    May 11, 2009
    This is a very different approach to the WH:40K universe than the the first DOW. It has a much better storyline and is truer to the table top game. I personally don't like the multi-player aspect of the game as much. It isn't as fast paced as the first game. Also the team leader/hero thing in the missions isn't my favorite style of RTS. All in all the game is very This is a very different approach to the WH:40K universe than the the first DOW. It has a much better storyline and is truer to the table top game. I personally don't like the multi-player aspect of the game as much. It isn't as fast paced as the first game. Also the team leader/hero thing in the missions isn't my favorite style of RTS. All in all the game is very enjoyable, visually appealing and has great elements of play. I give this game 9 slices of pie out of 10. Expand
  21. MisterX
    Jul 2, 2009
    Fantastic game. Giving Starcraft fans something new to play with while we wait *forever* for SC2. Relic has resolved most of the problems with minor bug patches soon after launching the game and a major content and skill balancing update with new maps, which gives a nice fuzzy supported feeling to a customer like me. Requires a quick mind and fast fingers. Some learning curve when playing Fantastic game. Giving Starcraft fans something new to play with while we wait *forever* for SC2. Relic has resolved most of the problems with minor bug patches soon after launching the game and a major content and skill balancing update with new maps, which gives a nice fuzzy supported feeling to a customer like me. Requires a quick mind and fast fingers. Some learning curve when playing multiplayer, of course. Expect to get destroyed by online players at first unless you study a bit and practice your strategy against the CPU. Great game, like playing modern "bullet chess" aka super-fast speed chess. Expand
  22. RamoneB
    Jan 18, 2010
    How can you build your Army when the Computer is at full strenght and attacking you before you get to your first power supply?
  23. kajemby
    Jan 2, 2010
    Maybe Pratoe M should get a new system. But then do we really want to be playing this excellent game with a racist? I think not.
  24. JonH
    Jan 3, 2010
    This game is amzing it conects with the table top RTS it's based on to the letter I can't wait for the expansions.
  25. JustinA
    Oct 16, 2009
    They took it all away! If you played Company of heroes from the original then you dam well know they took away the massive tank battles in COH (2 tigers 2 pershings and where the heck is the 2 jags anyway?) ... when they moved on to OF. Same with this game. there are no longer those massive build and smash battles its a more integrated take care of these uber squad game. Yes i feel they They took it all away! If you played Company of heroes from the original then you dam well know they took away the massive tank battles in COH (2 tigers 2 pershings and where the heck is the 2 jags anyway?) ... when they moved on to OF. Same with this game. there are no longer those massive build and smash battles its a more integrated take care of these uber squad game. Yes i feel they should have put MORE into the campaign.. even though watching the ship jump thru the warp is pretty it still seems a bit lacking compared to the last 4 frakkin games, letting you command and attack the enemy with the little bot armys smashing your rears. However i feel there on to something and this game does not dissapoint... this was not meant to be a starcraft 2 clone.. and i feel they have done an excellent job of proving that. ALSO if you know ANYTHING about Relic is that they are ADDING more and MORE into this game 4 expansions of the last game lemme spell it out for you M-O-R-E is on the way. And that my friends could change anything my little fanboys. Expand
  26. MaxE
    Feb 21, 2009
    Single player campaign is my thing, and I loved it here. You get a sense of ownership as you return to locations throughout the galaxy (I counted 13 maps so far, some being major story locations only visited once) and perform new missions on them. The co-op campaign is a wonderful thing, and it's enabled me to lure my girlfriend into playing, who is now also a fan. The promise of Single player campaign is my thing, and I loved it here. You get a sense of ownership as you return to locations throughout the galaxy (I counted 13 maps so far, some being major story locations only visited once) and perform new missions on them. The co-op campaign is a wonderful thing, and it's enabled me to lure my girlfriend into playing, who is now also a fan. The promise of wargear drops plus the fast mission speeds keeps tempting me to do the "just one more mission thing", and the post-mission ratings have me pushing to do them more and more efficiently- sort of like a racing game, except there's no cars, and you blow up anything that moves. Expand
  27. NoahA
    Feb 22, 2009
    The RPG element of this game works really well with the RTS aspects of it, and that makes the single player part of the game very engaging to me, as I love kitting up my squads specifically for the mission at hand and seeing how they do. The only things that I might change are the very low unit cap in multiplayer and the fact that it uses both GFWL and Steam as online services. Using both The RPG element of this game works really well with the RTS aspects of it, and that makes the single player part of the game very engaging to me, as I love kitting up my squads specifically for the mission at hand and seeing how they do. The only things that I might change are the very low unit cap in multiplayer and the fact that it uses both GFWL and Steam as online services. Using both at once seems pretty superfluous, and I think it would have been better to just pick one and stick with it. Expand
  28. Trevor
    Feb 22, 2009
    Like 40k? Like RTS games? Like RPG games? If you answered yes to the above three, this game is for you. The campaign is awesome to start with. With a very well created loot/exp system, there's not much to not like. Do not let the fact there is no base building shun you away from purchasing this game. It makes up for it with other well created mechanics. A definite MUST BUY.
  29. RyanJ
    Feb 22, 2009
    Nine for the absence of base building, and the inclusion a of a great micro/macro aspect. Instead of spending 15 minutes creating the superior squad behind protection of a base, we are given a powerful team at the start. This results in keeping your eyes on the battlefield and also on your squads, encouraging you to constantly be adjusting to the movements of your foes instead of just Nine for the absence of base building, and the inclusion a of a great micro/macro aspect. Instead of spending 15 minutes creating the superior squad behind protection of a base, we are given a powerful team at the start. This results in keeping your eyes on the battlefield and also on your squads, encouraging you to constantly be adjusting to the movements of your foes instead of just churning out more cannon fodder from a bloated base. Though hardcore rts and returning DoW fans may find it lacking without the inclusion of a base building aspect. Expand
  30. KhalidA
    Feb 27, 2009
    This game is the perfect RTS! Not only do you get to command your own hero but level him up and upgrade him! In addition to other squads ofcourse. Combat is really intense and the special abilities are excellent. More importantly, is the way the campaign was setup, and how the planets, their strategic assets, intelligence, defense all tie in to your strategy, its really very welll done. This game is the perfect RTS! Not only do you get to command your own hero but level him up and upgrade him! In addition to other squads ofcourse. Combat is really intense and the special abilities are excellent. More importantly, is the way the campaign was setup, and how the planets, their strategic assets, intelligence, defense all tie in to your strategy, its really very welll done. The cool visuals and the outstanding interface on the galactic map is also a beautiful touch. The only thing that was missing for me, was just a little more customization for your character, not necessary but would make the story and the events in the game more involving such as face customization, thats it really. Dawn of War perfected! Expand
  31. JoeHendry
    Feb 28, 2009
    Stunning, and new game play is fun and not as formulaic as other similar games i.e; bulid big city... Defend city wile building more troops..... wait till you have more troops than enemy..... Destroy enemy city...!!!

This game has more variety and i feel is more true to the W40K world..... cant wait for the Add-ons!
  32. AaronF
    Mar 10, 2009
    I'd give this game a 9 because I don't believe it is PERFECT, but since there are people giving this game a 2, I had to give it a 10 to help offset the idiocy of people giving this game a bad review. Mike M, you are a fool. DoW 2 offers exciting game play, goal-setting and achieving ambitions, and lots of room for further expansion. Not to mention co-op modes, which are always a I'd give this game a 9 because I don't believe it is PERFECT, but since there are people giving this game a 2, I had to give it a 10 to help offset the idiocy of people giving this game a bad review. Mike M, you are a fool. DoW 2 offers exciting game play, goal-setting and achieving ambitions, and lots of room for further expansion. Not to mention co-op modes, which are always a plus. I am switching back and forth from this to Empires Total War, and enjoying both immensely. Expand
  33. GarthM
    Mar 12, 2009
    While I am a great fan of this universe and genre, there's a few persistantly annoying software items that plague this game. I appreciate the focus on squad based combat and the individuality of each squad, but due to some fatal scar errors appearing repeatedly in certain missions, they're nearly unplayable. (Most notorious, which they've fixed, was angel gate, but While I am a great fan of this universe and genre, there's a few persistantly annoying software items that plague this game. I appreciate the focus on squad based combat and the individuality of each squad, but due to some fatal scar errors appearing repeatedly in certain missions, they're nearly unplayable. (Most notorious, which they've fixed, was angel gate, but I've had more trouble with "The Wailing Doom." I was a little disappointed at the initial offering of four races, but am looking forward to expansions. Also, the tyrranid race was done fairly close to form. Excellent polish, limited replay, but enjoyable overall. Expand
  34. PaulK
    Mar 14, 2009
    I just finished the campaign and it was one of the best campagins I have ever played through. Although quite easy, throught the levels, the end boss, on most levels, really proved to be a great feature and made it just a bit harder causing the game to balance out very nice.
  35. ForrestM
    Mar 10, 2009
    I absolutely adore this game. I believe the vast majority of negative reviews are from people who expected it to be just like the first game. When I look at this game I see the good elements of DoW1 combined with the good elements of Company of Heroes. The campaign is pulled of artfully and is truly innovative and successful in its innovation. The lack of base building blends in perfectly I absolutely adore this game. I believe the vast majority of negative reviews are from people who expected it to be just like the first game. When I look at this game I see the good elements of DoW1 combined with the good elements of Company of Heroes. The campaign is pulled of artfully and is truly innovative and successful in its innovation. The lack of base building blends in perfectly with the tactical play style of the game and the interface is beautifully streamlined making micromanagement a breeze. Sure there may only be 4 races and 1 campaign but if history is any sort of teacher, we can count on expansions. Expand
  36. SethRule
    Mar 17, 2009
    This game is an excellent and bold first step in a new direction for both the Dawn of War series and the RTS genre as a whole. The game looks and plays great, and the campaign is breath of fresh air into genre; a welcome change of pace from most RTS games which only include a campaign mode for posterity. In some places, however, the game feels unfinished. The multiplayer, in particular, This game is an excellent and bold first step in a new direction for both the Dawn of War series and the RTS genre as a whole. The game looks and plays great, and the campaign is breath of fresh air into genre; a welcome change of pace from most RTS games which only include a campaign mode for posterity. In some places, however, the game feels unfinished. The multiplayer, in particular, is in need of balancing on more variety, but remains pulse-pounding and entertaining when you find a good match. One has to think of this game as more of a starter pack to be expanded upon in the months and years to come through DLC and the inevitable expansions. Much like the original Dawn of War so many years back, Dawn of War II is a work of art, but also a work in progress, and it may take time for it to reach it's true potential. Expand
  37. CorwinP
    Mar 2, 2009
    You see so few games these days where the developers spent as much time on the single-player gameplay and storyline as they did on multiplayer gameplay. Warhammer 40k's DoW II stands above and beyond all of the rest in all respects. It has balanced multiplayer interaction, a fantastic and epically enthralling storyline, and single player gameplay that will indeed keep you coming back You see so few games these days where the developers spent as much time on the single-player gameplay and storyline as they did on multiplayer gameplay. Warhammer 40k's DoW II stands above and beyond all of the rest in all respects. It has balanced multiplayer interaction, a fantastic and epically enthralling storyline, and single player gameplay that will indeed keep you coming back to play all difficulties. Its replayability is high and I see myself playing this game on into the future. At least until Dawn of War III comes out. Expand
  38. Felixi
    Mar 2, 2009
    If you have played the desktop version of this game, then this will be a game that you will love. This game has captured the fun element of computer games, without selling out to cheezy compromises. I put off buying this game for two weeks because I read some of the negative reviews on this site. Don't be swayed this game is worth buying.
  39. PeterK
    Mar 2, 2009
    Most of the low scores are from people who want this game to be something it isn't - DoW1. And I guess that's fair enough, but if, like me, you're ready for something new, this game is an absolute blast. Bringing the focus in on the tactics of battlefield by removing base building and complicated tech trees, this game is much faster than the original, but easily as Most of the low scores are from people who want this game to be something it isn't - DoW1. And I guess that's fair enough, but if, like me, you're ready for something new, this game is an absolute blast. Bringing the focus in on the tactics of battlefield by removing base building and complicated tech trees, this game is much faster than the original, but easily as involving as you concentrate on map control and unit combinations/placement to win the day. It needs some more multiplayer map and game types, but what's in there will definitely keep you happy and perhaps we'll get some more through developer promised downloadable content (free and fee based). The single player campaign may not have the deepest of storylines, but it is a lot of fun, and I'll be replaying it a couple of times. Expand
  40. StephenT.
    Mar 4, 2009
    I can honestly say that after playing this game, I can never go back to the traditional RTS game ever again. With Dawn of War II, Relic has completely reinvented the RTS genre, to the point where there is no going back. It plays like a dream, the perfect blend of strategy and action, combined with great graphics and physics engines makes for an all around great game. Don't believe I can honestly say that after playing this game, I can never go back to the traditional RTS game ever again. With Dawn of War II, Relic has completely reinvented the RTS genre, to the point where there is no going back. It plays like a dream, the perfect blend of strategy and action, combined with great graphics and physics engines makes for an all around great game. Don't believe what the critics say about the so called, "less-impressive single-player campaign," as, while it does lack variety, it is an incredibly enjoyable experience that does, unlike many RTS games, require tactics and strategy (Gamespot, http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/warhammer40kdawnofwar2/review.html). Having only played the beta, I can't judge the multiplayer component 100%, but from the feel of the beta, I know that without intelligent micromanagement, you can't do anything except lose. So if you read out there to stay away, experienced RTS players, don't buy it, because without the use of tactics, you can't hope to succeed. Overall, I find the game a little repetetive and the lack of multiplayer maps disappointing, however, the kick in the collective pants of the RTS genre is a welcome one, which I welcome with open arms. I truly must say that Relic has made the perfect RTS experience with Dawn of War II, one which makes it easy to overlook any shortcomings, and one which will keep me entertained until the next expansion or next game that Relic releases. Expand
  41. CarlKershaw
    Mar 4, 2009
    I would have liked to have seen a more varied campaign with been able to play the other races but overall I like the new direction they have taken with the game and think it moves away from the monotinous building of bases to nuke things, you can just move straight out and have fun.
  42. MikeB
    Apr 10, 2009
    The campaign is repetitive as others have mentioned (and the reviews themselves) but I find that less of a problem when I'm turning orks into green cubes and tyranids into squishy bits. The actual game is fun as hell. I don't see how people could give this a 1. It may not be your cup of tea but there is no way this game is a 1 or even a 5. Everytime I've seen this it's The campaign is repetitive as others have mentioned (and the reviews themselves) but I find that less of a problem when I'm turning orks into green cubes and tyranids into squishy bits. The actual game is fun as hell. I don't see how people could give this a 1. It may not be your cup of tea but there is no way this game is a 1 or even a 5. Everytime I've seen this it's been from someone who mentioned it's not like Dawn of War 1, get over it. Expand
  43. TravisP
    Apr 13, 2009
    All time favorite game! all around game play is great. this type of Hybrid RTS/RPG really brings new strategy paving a new path for RTS games to come! I love how you no longer build, so you're more in the field of battle and using tactics rather than pawning your opponent. graphics are amazing however, the one thing that bugged me was RAM requirements, and drive space. make sure you All time favorite game! all around game play is great. this type of Hybrid RTS/RPG really brings new strategy paving a new path for RTS games to come! I love how you no longer build, so you're more in the field of battle and using tactics rather than pawning your opponent. graphics are amazing however, the one thing that bugged me was RAM requirements, and drive space. make sure you buy a computer with high RAM and a good graphics card otherwise you may find this tittle pretty sluggish. but its well worth the price. Expand
  44. noname
    Apr 24, 2009
    Counter-Strike: Source offers flexible styles of play. Using mod's and various game settings, there is always something fun to do involving great action and Edge-of-your-seat thrills. The mechanics allow you to quickly get used to working out, and the smooth rendering with higher model machines give such a life like feel, as though you were in really Razing and Blazing "The Point". Counter-Strike: Source offers flexible styles of play. Using mod's and various game settings, there is always something fun to do involving great action and Edge-of-your-seat thrills. The mechanics allow you to quickly get used to working out, and the smooth rendering with higher model machines give such a life like feel, as though you were in really Razing and Blazing "The Point". Hands down, 11 score in my book. Get it today. Get in and play! Expand
  45. RaphS
    Apr 9, 2009
    I'll give it a 10/10 : +Extraordinary graphics (you'll need a good cpu) +Revolutionary strategy game (No boring construction phase or what so ever) +Responsive and intelligent units (each squad can be fully controled, upgraded and has it's own ranking levels) +Intense battles with a reactive environment (intensity, destruction and blood are the 3 bases of battles in this I'll give it a 10/10 : +Extraordinary graphics (you'll need a good cpu) +Revolutionary strategy game (No boring construction phase or what so ever) +Responsive and intelligent units (each squad can be fully controled, upgraded and has it's own ranking levels) +Intense battles with a reactive environment (intensity, destruction and blood are the 3 bases of battles in this game, the all new reactive environment with destructible walls, barricades etc ... gives a thumb up for the game) +Non-Linear Campain (For my part, I loved the campain even if it's quite short if you take a level below "Primearch" but it's based on a solid scenario and gives the game a spice of roleplaying with the innovative "equip your characters and level them" system in a RTS which is quite surprising) +Good choice of the races (Space Marines, Orks, Eldars and Tyranids are all very different from one another but they are a perfect combination of races that had to be put in this game of equalised battles; all that matters is your skill and your "game-reflexes"). To conclude I think this game should be nominated for the game of the year award. I just hope the producers won't make the same mistake they made in DOW 1 ( Including in each expansion a new race ==> it completely disorganises the game ). Expand
  46. RickP
    May 13, 2009
    This game Rocks! I have the entire Dawn of war series, love them all! But DOW II brings a whole new level to the intensity of the future of war... in teh future there is only WAR.
  47. PatR
    May 4, 2009
    Great fun, the missions bring you straight into the thick of the action and rarely take too long, effectively forcing you to abandon old base-building strategies of grinding on until you've won. The RPG advancement is fun but a little tacked on, and the superhuman space marines are rarely in trouble unless you really push the advance, or until you meet a tough boss, but still, it Great fun, the missions bring you straight into the thick of the action and rarely take too long, effectively forcing you to abandon old base-building strategies of grinding on until you've won. The RPG advancement is fun but a little tacked on, and the superhuman space marines are rarely in trouble unless you really push the advance, or until you meet a tough boss, but still, it makes the action RTS genre a reality in spectacular style. Expand
  48. KevinS.
    Jun 29, 2009
    While this game may not be the best RTS ever, it is fun amnd engaging. I love the moldability of my squad and the flexibility of each mission. At first I wasn't sure if I enjoyed how they reused the maps, but aftera while I realized that it was a lot of fun and it helped engage me into the story line.
  49. ElliottFairclough
    Aug 12, 2009
    Absolutely brilliant! Superb game that mixes both an exhilirating RPG style campaign storyline, which allows you to play against numerous enemies, but is somewhat repetitive, with the action-packed multiplayer that seems as if you can't get enough of it. It's like a drug (well sort of)! However, some aspects do need variation and improvements that would make the game better.Absolutely brilliant! Superb game that mixes both an exhilirating RPG style campaign storyline, which allows you to play against numerous enemies, but is somewhat repetitive, with the action-packed multiplayer that seems as if you can't get enough of it. It's like a drug (well sort of)! However, some aspects do need variation and improvements that would make the game better. Despite this i still give a well earned 9 out of 10. Good job Relic! Expand
  50. mikemiller
    Aug 3, 2009
    Great Campainge, even better in Co-op.
    But theVersus multiplayer seems watered down, you have to be an expert player to be able to play, and its takes for ever just to get a few squads on the map. I give it a 9/10 because the campainge can kepp you goin for hours on end, if you can put up with a little repetitiveness.(made up word)
  51. DaveTolley
    Aug 5, 2009
    i've got the first DoW games and the expansions, so the change in direction was abit of a shock but once i got used to it, its fucking awesome i love the rpg elements i find it mixs it up abit so its not as boring as i find some other RTS's
  52. RayE
    Sep 18, 2009
    THQ have done well at improving the game, IF you are a tactic person that like to use the posibilities of every squad/unit andwhat the environment offer you... The lowered amount of unit makes it even better to use tactics, if you play online without any tactics you will be defeated, I think many people was dissapointed on the game because it was so much easier to play dow than dow 2 THQ have done well at improving the game, IF you are a tactic person that like to use the posibilities of every squad/unit andwhat the environment offer you... The lowered amount of unit makes it even better to use tactics, if you play online without any tactics you will be defeated, I think many people was dissapointed on the game because it was so much easier to play dow than dow 2 because of the easy to use squads and high amount of units that have been changed at dow 2 but in my opinion it was a great improvment. And I will keep playing the game until the next generation warhammer game releases. This is and will be one of the most important title of the Dawn of War(DOW) series. Expand
  53. OliverH.
    Jan 25, 2010
    So many multiplayer options, fantastic campaign mode with so many unlockable items and highly strategic : ) Awesome
  54. Peterw
    Jan 5, 2010
    I love that game! I think it is like 1000 times better than the old one where you just built a huge amount of units and charged towards the enemy. Each unit got a purpose and you dont embarass yourselves with tons of upgrades, buildings ad workers and all that stuff. I personnaly have a 9000 points chaos army, i saw lots of other units that they coud have included, but then it would have I love that game! I think it is like 1000 times better than the old one where you just built a huge amount of units and charged towards the enemy. Each unit got a purpose and you dont embarass yourselves with tons of upgrades, buildings ad workers and all that stuff. I personnaly have a 9000 points chaos army, i saw lots of other units that they coud have included, but then it would have been another crappy game like soulstorm!!! Expand
  55. NoMadM
    Nov 1, 2009
    The greatest Game of Warhammer 40.000 I ever Played! It's a very well mixture of RPG and Strategy. I play Warhammer since 1999 and could say it was the best Game...most realistik one...I know! It has devenetf dhe Flair of the Warhammer 40.000 Galexy. WELL DONE, RELIK! And, "For the Emperor!"
  56. SPARTANVI
    Oct 20, 2009
    Dawn of War II feels like Company of Heroes and StarCraft smushed together and it is a wonderful marriage. I haven't had so much fun PC gaming since... Company of Heroes. You rock Relic!
  57. AaronLane
    Oct 22, 2009
    Just what I needed. More games like this! Warhammer 40,000 is an incredible universe with plenty of game-worthy ground to explore.
  58. DanielS
    Dec 4, 2009
    I personally love Dawn of War 2. The campaign might lack of gameplay but i think that the multiplayer option is fantastic, instead of having tons of buildings with tons of units that dosn't have any special purpose like in dawn of war 2. Dawn of War 2 might not have as many units as in Dawn of War but they all got a purpose.
  59. YanboC
    Feb 18, 2009
    Awesome game! Fast paced, brutal action that gets your adrenaline flowing. Combines the best aspects of the Dawn of War series (sync kills, 40k universe) with the critically acclaimed elements of Company of Heroes, bundled in an updated Essence Engine 2.0. Graphics are stunning, amazing audio soundtracks that fit the mood superbly, balance is well done, and game is an overall blast to Awesome game! Fast paced, brutal action that gets your adrenaline flowing. Combines the best aspects of the Dawn of War series (sync kills, 40k universe) with the critically acclaimed elements of Company of Heroes, bundled in an updated Essence Engine 2.0. Graphics are stunning, amazing audio soundtracks that fit the mood superbly, balance is well done, and game is an overall blast to play. On top of that, free DLC and Relic support/expansions will make the game that much better! Expand
  60. JamesG
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ok, there's no base building. I never wanted a Warhammer 40K SimCity. There are lots of wargear options and upgrades. That's cool, Ilike big shooty bolters. There is level grinding and loot drops ala Diablo. Well before Diablo the excellent Dungeonmaster (Atari ST, Amiga) had all that with the paper doll inventory screen too. So I don't want to hear claims that this is a Ok, there's no base building. I never wanted a Warhammer 40K SimCity. There are lots of wargear options and upgrades. That's cool, Ilike big shooty bolters. There is level grinding and loot drops ala Diablo. Well before Diablo the excellent Dungeonmaster (Atari ST, Amiga) had all that with the paper doll inventory screen too. So I don't want to hear claims that this is a 'me too' set of features. What this game is, is a true TACTICAL wargame. If you use real world infantry tactics of fire and movement you will succeed. Try to 'rush' without first establishing a base of fire and flanking and you will get to see the cool new bloody splashing gore effects as your troops get mulched. Use terrain, team tactics, and cunning and you are outfighting the enemt rather than outmanaging or outclicking them as in previous RTS staples. Sound and graphics are of course great and the program scales down very well to less capable systems. Multi-player is perfectly smooth... if only the matchmaking were a bit quicker it would be perfect. And points on my XBOX Live profile for the achievements. Simply outstanding... I'm ready for the expansions already with the other races of the 40K universe. Waaarrrggghhh!!! Expand
  61. Strudis
    Feb 21, 2009
    DoW2 is also was away the best RTS after Warcraft3! I had as much fun in (beta) the Multiplayer and would rarely evaluate the play in things fun with 93% (balance must be still improved however comes into runs the time). I have around the 200 hours in the Multiplayer spent and had the most ingenious fights which I ever in a RTS did not experience which one film could! Particularly 3vs3 DoW2 is also was away the best RTS after Warcraft3! I had as much fun in (beta) the Multiplayer and would rarely evaluate the play in things fun with 93% (balance must be still improved however comes into runs the time). I have around the 200 hours in the Multiplayer spent and had the most ingenious fights which I ever in a RTS did not experience which one film could! Particularly 3vs3 team Matches with capable people in the team have bring an experience with itself it up to now ever did not give. Whether the Singleplayer is or not is good for me relevantly with a RTS counts not the Singleplayer mode but like it in the Multiplayer strikes themselves and according to these criteria should one the play evaluate! I know some people those already 5 years Warcraft3 play and the Singleplayer part still never played. RTS is a category only in the Multiplayer unfolds and scores exactly here DoW2 with RPG system, Heromodus as well as technology! Expand
  62. JoelJ.
    Feb 21, 2009
    I absolutely love this game. I realize some people will be irritated by the complete decimation (there can be no other word) of realtime strategy tropes within this game... But I don't care - I love it. Building bases has never sat right with me; it has always taken away from what I love most in RTS' - combat. Combat is what Dawn of War II is about - using cover, destroying I absolutely love this game. I realize some people will be irritated by the complete decimation (there can be no other word) of realtime strategy tropes within this game... But I don't care - I love it. Building bases has never sat right with me; it has always taken away from what I love most in RTS' - combat. Combat is what Dawn of War II is about - using cover, destroying enemy cover, keep the enemy on their toes etc... In other words - its a strategy game that, at last, asks you to rely on your tactical competency, rather than your economic management skills. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I personally adore it. Expand
  63. ggrant
    Feb 21, 2009
    The Multiplayer is all about capture and control. You capture points to improve resource points or decrease the army points of the other side. The mulitplayer is not for those who like to sit behind thier wall of defences and wait for them opponet to make the strike and counter. This game is all about Strategy. Relic breakes down what Multiplayer RTS are about and tries to remove the The Multiplayer is all about capture and control. You capture points to improve resource points or decrease the army points of the other side. The mulitplayer is not for those who like to sit behind thier wall of defences and wait for them opponet to make the strike and counter. This game is all about Strategy. Relic breakes down what Multiplayer RTS are about and tries to remove the items that slow it down. Now all resourses are gaind through captureing points like in the prevous installments but now Even the energy is gained through capureing. The only diffrence is that the energy nodes can be upgraded to help secure it and build 3 generators to increase production. The cover system is back in this game and better then ever instead of a single spot they ahve rocks, Buildings and other objects to gain cover. And some units have was to get around this cover that you need to watch out for when they show up. The muliplayer gets a 8.5/10. It is fun to out flank and try to get the get units around to cautch them in a cross fire. They did a good job of balencing most of the groups. and the 4 types are fun to play but is till miss my Sisters of battle and my Imperial guard. The Singleplayer is a fun game. Granted i have not beat it yer but i have gone through enough so far to see what it is like. This time the Single player and the Multiplayer are very diffrent in the multiplayer it is all about caputreing to build units but in this game it is like the table top game of 40k called Kill teams where you get a small army to infiltrate a group to do an objective. They also use Experiance system where you lvl up and you get points to spend in slots to buy skills. You also can have Equipment that you can give to your teams. The single player is all about moving to points captureing them so you can fall back to them if you are getting overwhelmed. You only get a limited number of squads (4 for the most part) to complete the objective and if a squad goes down then you can do the Gears of war or Left 4 Dead boot to thier rear end and get the leader up so he can run back to a point to fill out the rest of thier squad. I give the Multiplayer 9.5/10. Story is kinda retold in previous exept it is Tyranids instead of Chaos this time. This Game is for those who like the strategy part of the RTS genre and not the building. I am a turtler and I have had fun with it. Though I do play the table top game so my view might be a little slanted to liking it. Over all Not being a big online multiplayer of the games I do enjoy the scirmish matches withthe computer. I game it a 9/10 because i found it fun to play. This is on game that is going to be overshadowed by the Starcarft 2 shadow but this is a fresh new attempt at the RTS and would be easy to expand this game to consols. Expand
  64. AndrewH
    Feb 20, 2009
    I really enjoy this game. The single player campaign combines the best aspects of 2 genres I love, RPGs and RTSs. The focus on small numbers of units really lets you use all the abilities of all the units to their fullest. The action is fast and furious with heavy emphasis on tactics. I really enjoy the Warhammer 40k lore, and this game does not disappoint. I hope Relic comes up with I really enjoy this game. The single player campaign combines the best aspects of 2 genres I love, RPGs and RTSs. The focus on small numbers of units really lets you use all the abilities of all the units to their fullest. The action is fast and furious with heavy emphasis on tactics. I really enjoy the Warhammer 40k lore, and this game does not disappoint. I hope Relic comes up with downloadable campaigns for the remaining races and adds some of the other races from the Warhammer universe. I have yet to try this multiplayer, but I'm sure it will be a blast. Expand
  65. SobaiG
    Feb 22, 2009
    Definately not what most people were expecting but definately a brave and mostly successful attempt to rejuvinate the genre. More streamlined, better balanced and arguably at timesmore fun (especially in Single Player which is a big improvement on Dark Crusade/Soulstorm/Winter assault). Very pretty and with well-added RPG elements. The lack of maps does hurt somewhat however, but with Definately not what most people were expecting but definately a brave and mostly successful attempt to rejuvinate the genre. More streamlined, better balanced and arguably at timesmore fun (especially in Single Player which is a big improvement on Dark Crusade/Soulstorm/Winter assault). Very pretty and with well-added RPG elements. The lack of maps does hurt somewhat however, but with these being promised in patches will definately add somewhat to a good initial release. Altho I'm quite befuddled as to comments about it needing a powerhouse PC as my 3yr old laptop running an AMDTurion 64 (non dual core) with a Radeon x700 mobility runs it just fine on medium settings. Expand
  66. JaredN
    Feb 23, 2009
    A great sequel to one of my favorite RTS games ever. The new turn they took with no building is great, it puts the player right into the action and makes one be more strategic. It's true most of the campaign missions are a little repetitive I still greatly enjoy it, especially with the co-op feature. And the new multiplayer point system is awesome. One thing I would hope more for is A great sequel to one of my favorite RTS games ever. The new turn they took with no building is great, it puts the player right into the action and makes one be more strategic. It's true most of the campaign missions are a little repetitive I still greatly enjoy it, especially with the co-op feature. And the new multiplayer point system is awesome. One thing I would hope more for is more multiplayer matches, which I'm sure they're working on as I write this. Other than that there are only a few tweeks I think could be made, nothing that they can't fix by the first expansion. Otherwise great game Relic, and can't wait to see more races in the next expansion. Expand
  67. JonathanR
    Feb 25, 2009
    Great game, never been one to really enjoy any kind of RTS but so far I find it very refreshing not having to worry about buildings. The Graphics are good and Relic has shown that they care about their product by releasing updates for bugs already. I am also looking forward to see expansions that will further the story, and races.
  68. JonathanR
    Feb 25, 2009
  69. BigDaddy
    Feb 26, 2009
    There is a lot more depth to this game than most realize on the first few attempts. The campaign is pretty cool but multiplayer is where it's at . I hope this came continues to be supported for years to come. It has all the makings of a major success.
  70. ConnorW
    Feb 27, 2009
    Dawn of War 2, the next installment of Warhammer 40k games puts you in the feet of an elite squad of space marines. You will battle Eldar, Orks and the overrunning hordes of Tyranids. When you start off you have your commander on which you name and a tactical squad. Through the course you will have a Devastator squad, Scout, Jump Trooper, and Dreadnaught. Dawn of War 2 brings back some Dawn of War 2, the next installment of Warhammer 40k games puts you in the feet of an elite squad of space marines. You will battle Eldar, Orks and the overrunning hordes of Tyranids. When you start off you have your commander on which you name and a tactical squad. Through the course you will have a Devastator squad, Scout, Jump Trooper, and Dreadnaught. Dawn of War 2 brings back some old time heroes that have been slienced. Davin Thule and the Grey haired Gabrial Angelos.The game lets you choose to travel between 3 planets and choose missions that award you wargear at the end. You can earn wargear ingame as well. Your Elite team by killing enemies,capturing key structures, speed of completing the level and having all squads at full will award your team with more XP. When leveling up you can choose to upgrade Heath with special benefits like having chapter veterens, melee damage, range damage, and energy which provide special attacks. You can give your team armor i.e terminator armor, weapns, and accesories as in orbital bombardments. When playing against bosses they become impossible to fight with one swift blow. I repeatidly teleport my terminators and do hity and run attacks on bosses. You even get to make your soliders retreat like in company of heroes. (Click retreat and your soliders get a defense bonus, and are faster.) Campagin is massive and can be played for over 100 hours. It has so many side missions i say leave the special assignments for last. It has an instense storyline but cheesy cutscenes. But you probably wont mind. Multiplayer: Contains Victory Point Control where you caputre 3 victory points and knock down the enemies points to win. And Annilate. Multiplayer can become boring from people with a high ping, or your allies arnt tactical enough and get you killed, or they just drop out and have a crap computer take over. Co-op: You can play with a friend in a Co-op campagin. I havent done it yet since i have no friends with DoW2. Graphics: 9.5 Gameplay:9.6 Sounds: 9.1 Difficulty: Can get aggrivating Time Spent: 40 to 100hours Bottom Line- "Outstanding" Overall Rating: 9.4/10 Expand
  71. tims
    Feb 27, 2009
    Splendid game,as with all warhammer games,a much more personal effort than DOW I,looking forward to coming expansions,an 'authentic' space hulk game would be nice,with lots of history,perhaps based on hive fleet behemoth so we can experience the extinction of scythes of the emperor and the lamenters chapters after the horus heresey,or indeed the last stans of the crimson fists! Splendid game,as with all warhammer games,a much more personal effort than DOW I,looking forward to coming expansions,an 'authentic' space hulk game would be nice,with lots of history,perhaps based on hive fleet behemoth so we can experience the extinction of scythes of the emperor and the lamenters chapters after the horus heresey,or indeed the last stans of the crimson fists! whatever is to be released i hope cant wait! Expand
  72. AlexyK
    Feb 28, 2009
    This game is just great! It ruined my live! I don't want to work, i don't want to meet friends, I just want to play it again and again! :) And it is two games in one. Campaign have a strong RPG-elements and good story. Multiplayer is fast and brutal, with lots of tactics. So I vote 10, because its best RTS i've played ever!
  73. DamoW
    Mar 15, 2009
    Great game, a little bit of a rough start to the launch, however not looked back. Game runs flawless, and looks gorgeous on my system. been playing it non-stop and enjoy the single player campaign. Once i have finished that, i will move on to multi-player.
  74. EdY
    Mar 26, 2009
    oh my god this game is worthy of the title Dawn of War. though the story line lacks just a little, it far surpasses the story line of Starcraft, Total Annihilation, and TA Kingdoms, as well as most other RTS games however. The game play in the levels are so fast paced even a full blown Button Masher class player would have a hard time keeping up. I would hate to say its a hard game, you oh my god this game is worthy of the title Dawn of War. though the story line lacks just a little, it far surpasses the story line of Starcraft, Total Annihilation, and TA Kingdoms, as well as most other RTS games however. The game play in the levels are so fast paced even a full blown Button Masher class player would have a hard time keeping up. I would hate to say its a hard game, you mainly need to know when to push forward and when to fall back. The graphics are by far the best I have ever seen in an RTS class game, and Im counting C&C here. the only drawback I see if the lack of races that DoW1 had, Tau and Necron they wer my fave races but I guess seeing as how the Zerg have escaped Starcraft and Infested DoW the Necrons had to go back to sleep. lol I general hope this game will end up like DoW1 though, more races more units more camps (hopefully in the Expansion pack/s we will have more then one race) like DoW1 had. Expand
  75. JasonT
    Mar 4, 2009
    An excellent campaign (finally more developers realize that co-op is the future) and intense multiplayer make this game a real gem in the RTS genre. Taken for what it is (and not what one wants it to be i.e. DoW1), this game succeeds on every level. For an RTS to get me to play online takes a lot and DoW2 accomplishes just that. Highly recommended.
  76. PabloD
    Mar 5, 2009
    Wow, when the first DOW started, there wasn't any Tau, Imperial Gaurd, or anything like that. THQ and Relic made an approach, and any real fan would know this, to make it feel like a completely new game. They did good, very good. There is going to be add ons for the game, and people should understand that this is a change to Dawn of War. But when I first played it I was very Wow, when the first DOW started, there wasn't any Tau, Imperial Gaurd, or anything like that. THQ and Relic made an approach, and any real fan would know this, to make it feel like a completely new game. They did good, very good. There is going to be add ons for the game, and people should understand that this is a change to Dawn of War. But when I first played it I was very disappointed.. as I kept playing, I realized, it was just like Company of Heroes, except it was Warhammer 40k instead, and it was fun and unique. No Other RTS game offers what this game offers, so don't be. Expand
  77. ChrisW.
    Mar 5, 2009
    A strange thing happened to me a little while ago. Due to the stress and frustration I was dealing with at work and life in general, I developed this odd craving to play a game where I could control a race of giant, vicious mutant insects devouring everything in my path. Since Starcraft II isn
  78. EG
    Apr 13, 2009
    Being a huge fan of DOW1, I was a bit dissapointed with the completely different gameplay that DOW2 had, but now I much prefer it to the first. Its much more fast-paced, you cant just create one army and march them as a group or you'll lose- you have to divide them up and fight in multiple places at the same time. The balancing of the races is also much better in my opinion. The Being a huge fan of DOW1, I was a bit dissapointed with the completely different gameplay that DOW2 had, but now I much prefer it to the first. Its much more fast-paced, you cant just create one army and march them as a group or you'll lose- you have to divide them up and fight in multiple places at the same time. The balancing of the races is also much better in my opinion. The campaign can be a bit glitchy but I really enjoyed it, especially co-op mode. Expand
  79. RichardS
    Apr 15, 2009
    Dawn Of War II, from at least 24 hours of gameplay if put into it, it is at least an ambitious an inovative game, the particular feautres which make this game so unique is 1. The leveling up system 2.Turn-based real time stragedy 3 Eliminating the use of building countless units like in DOW 1. with all these different feautres this game can be sometimes mistaken for other genre like Dawn Of War II, from at least 24 hours of gameplay if put into it, it is at least an ambitious an inovative game, the particular feautres which make this game so unique is 1. The leveling up system 2.Turn-based real time stragedy 3 Eliminating the use of building countless units like in DOW 1. with all these different feautres this game can be sometimes mistaken for other genre like 'RPG*, but the original overhead view still dominates this game making the overall play of it still RTS in nature. If you come into this game with an open-mind and ready to give it a chance, this game may even surprise you due to the new gameplay and the 'ultra' graphics setting which make this game extreamly realistic in its own way. Expand
  80. RudyB
    Apr 17, 2009
    This is better than DOW, Relic have improved the gameplay, I don't know what all the fuss about it been repetitive, that's the game in a nutshell... it's all about battles and lots of it.. Graphics is great and you really need a powefull rig to fully appreciate it all in it's glory. The pace of the game is so much faster and very close to the gametop version. The This is better than DOW, Relic have improved the gameplay, I don't know what all the fuss about it been repetitive, that's the game in a nutshell... it's all about battles and lots of it.. Graphics is great and you really need a powefull rig to fully appreciate it all in it's glory. The pace of the game is so much faster and very close to the gametop version. The option to sneak about is still there, but it is so much better to just start shooting, but set your units up so they support each other ;).. This is a must buy game if you love RTS games. Expand
  81. AnonymousMC
    Apr 24, 2009
    I can understand why a lot of people are disappointed with this game; if you are looking for an expanded version of Dawn of War 1, look elsewhere. Once you separate yourself from the idea that this is a "sequel", there's a lot to love in this game.
    I personally don't mind the steam + windows live, since I already use steam and windows live is likely to expand in the future. If this is a problem for you, you may want to give the game a second thought. Also, you CAN use an offline windows live account to play the single-player campaign, but your achievements won't be saved (probably not a big deal if you aren't playing online).
    Second, I would recommend trying the single-player demo before committing to a purchase, especially due to the mixed feelings about this game. I enjoyed the demo so I made the purchase and I'm quite pleased with the decision.
    If you've never played an RTS before, this could be a good first step. The gameplay is streamlined and provides a good stepping stone to learning how to micro-manage units. Or, if you find traditional RTS games to be shallow, you may enjoy the integrated RPG elements, especially the persistence with being able to continue using heroes rather than being forced to a clean slate each mission.
    Overall I gave the game a 9 for it's balanced gameplay, quality graphics, and good representation of the tabletop game. It's an enjoyable experience that I'd recommend to others.
  82. Mr.FireArmor
    May 11, 2009
    This is going to be a classic. Hate that ill have to wait for expansions again though. Would have like to have seen different campaigns. Overall visualy stunning and rock solid gameplay. Another great add to the 40K series.
  83. JosephL
    May 12, 2009
    Why it gets a 9 because, though it could use improvement in alot of areas, they do not shine how simply awesome the game itself is. Honestly, color me optimistic, but Relic is the best video game developer since Dynamix.
  84. TeroSalonen
    May 19, 2009
    at the age i currently am having lived before the www and http i find this game so far the utmost peak of rts with all in cluded both faults and the <3 and the game lore also supports this type of a game aswell this game itself so 10/10 from me
  85. BB
    May 24, 2009
    Fantastic new direction from a genre filled with cookie cutter games. less emphasis on building means more emphasis on fighting. The only thing it seems to be lacking is alien campaigns.
  86. ChrisK
    Jun 19, 2009
    I have always enjoyed the dawn of war series and this is the best yet.i have also played the modeling game and enjoyed that as well giving me a new respect for the amount of work put into the game because the game is based off the models and as i am a modeler i must say that all those who rate this game low must not have the respect for it and do not read the books play its other games or I have always enjoyed the dawn of war series and this is the best yet.i have also played the modeling game and enjoyed that as well giving me a new respect for the amount of work put into the game because the game is based off the models and as i am a modeler i must say that all those who rate this game low must not have the respect for it and do not read the books play its other games or even attempt to play the modeling game.as a rule of thumb please for all those who rate this game low i must encourage you with the utmost respect to try out the models or read a few of the books as they will give you a completely different perspective. Expand
  87. ChrisT.
    Aug 14, 2009
    I downloaded this game off a torrent site and I completely loved every minute of it. The mix of RPG and RTS is so addicting--all I could think about for 2 weeks was leveling my characters and getting them the best items (especially the coveted terminator armor which, unfortunately, they only got to use for about 2 days). I can only speak for the campaign since I don't have a CD key I downloaded this game off a torrent site and I completely loved every minute of it. The mix of RPG and RTS is so addicting--all I could think about for 2 weeks was leveling my characters and getting them the best items (especially the coveted terminator armor which, unfortunately, they only got to use for about 2 days). I can only speak for the campaign since I don't have a CD key to play online, but I'm almost tempted to purchase one to play online. I only played the normal difficulty thus far and it was challenging enough but I'm considering replaying on the hardest difficulty now that I have a better understanding of the strategy needed for this type of RTS (small # of units, no base, exploiting cover, etc.). If you played Warcraft and Starcraft, this is a breath of fresh air. Not all people will like this, mostly hardcore base building fanatics, but it's definitely worth playing for free. On top of the great gameplay, there is stunning graphic and battle effects and honestly, some of the best mini-movies I've seen in games in awhile. 9/10 from this satisfied gamer. Give it a try--you might find yourself up until 'dawn' playing this game more than once. Expand
  88. RamJam
    Feb 21, 2009
    This game brings the best of the tabletop warhammer 40,000 fighting....the original awesome game, and puts it into a gruesome and beautifuly done RTS. I you have any taste for blood beyond teching up like a wussy, then you want this game. If you like to chase resources.....go work in a mine.
  89. JoeC
    Feb 21, 2009
    Awesome game....you guys have say OMG no base building, its all attack, its not war! Well I hate to break it to you but this is semi-like table top, you get a limited number of units, some counter others, and if you are setting up bolters and suppressing an enemy and they run into instead of teleporting or bringing out mechs...your playing the wrong people. This game is everything an Awesome game....you guys have say OMG no base building, its all attack, its not war! Well I hate to break it to you but this is semi-like table top, you get a limited number of units, some counter others, and if you are setting up bolters and suppressing an enemy and they run into instead of teleporting or bringing out mechs...your playing the wrong people. This game is everything an action RTS should be. The only thing I didn't like is they did not include chaos, but I think they will shortly. The multiplayer is very fun, and I love the versatility of the commander unit. It does have lots of hard counters, and you have to know what your doing, but its a blast! If you liked CoH you should like this, if you liked to play defensive on DOW1, you won't like this, I loved DOW1 and this is a step in the RIGHT direction for this franchise, I can't wait for the expanisons. Only complaint is the single player gets pretty repetitive, and the map selection is limited, however in DOW you only played on 2-3 maps anyway so.... Basically you do have to understand this is not aTotal War, or a Supreme commander, lets zerg 100's untis at the enemy, this is more like spearheads attacking each other, elite units clashing. The graphics are great, sound is good, while I miss some of the one liners from DOW1 there is still some gems in this one. The gameplay is fast and furious, and there is not much defenseive play, though you COULD encorparate it into your tactics, if you wanted, there is no base sitting, though so if thats your thing...you won't like this game. I played Chaos in DOW1 an attack heavy army so this fits my playstyle perfect, but I know not everyone likes that..but adapt and you will have fun with this. Expand
  90. JurshB
    Feb 21, 2009
    Dis Game ROKS WAAAUGGGH Seriously.. anyone who thinks this is lacking because of base/build order hasn't really played the game enough. It is completely replaced with TACTICS... you really spend your time on the field in intense fights and your build order is on your actual troops instead of a bunch of static buildings. This is the second coming (CoH being the first) of a different Dis Game ROKS WAAAUGGGH Seriously.. anyone who thinks this is lacking because of base/build order hasn't really played the game enough. It is completely replaced with TACTICS... you really spend your time on the field in intense fights and your build order is on your actual troops instead of a bunch of static buildings. This is the second coming (CoH being the first) of a different RTS genre... more of a RTTS (real time tactical strategy) Expand
  91. [RH]Merc_lexUnkowen
    Feb 22, 2009
    This is truelly an epic game. I came from the ESL of DoW SS, so i loved online play and couldn't imagine how boring offline play is, till i found this game. The offline game is truelly amazing, better then the First DoW (Which was also about blood ravens and was the only good campaign compared to all of it's expansions) In this game the offline play is truelly spectacular and This is truelly an epic game. I came from the ESL of DoW SS, so i loved online play and couldn't imagine how boring offline play is, till i found this game. The offline game is truelly amazing, better then the First DoW (Which was also about blood ravens and was the only good campaign compared to all of it's expansions) In this game the offline play is truelly spectacular and gets u hooked. New ways to paint ur armies must be mentioned since it really is handy and nice. Some glossy colours, and just overall gameplay is great. Only possible negative thing to say is mybe some minor balance issues, but they should be fixed very soion, and the game is still worth playing... Even if u dont have internet and can't play multiplayer, i suggest gettting this game because of its offline play, it really is amazing, im gonna go play it right now! Expand
  92. ShawnS
    Feb 24, 2009
    First time I played it I didnt know what to think of DoW2, but after playing a handful of battles I am prepared to say that this totally game rocks, they got rid of RTS conventions that made RTS games feel unrealistic and made it so you have to send your troops out and get stuff done before its too late. Every strategic point on the map feels important,as does every one of your units on First time I played it I didnt know what to think of DoW2, but after playing a handful of battles I am prepared to say that this totally game rocks, they got rid of RTS conventions that made RTS games feel unrealistic and made it so you have to send your troops out and get stuff done before its too late. Every strategic point on the map feels important,as does every one of your units on the field, and the game doesn't give you time to bumble around and make mistakes. This game would have gotten a higher rating from me but only 4 armies and only so many maps bring the score down for me (because relic is gunna dig into my wallet yet again when the expansions come out for this)...otherwise they updated graphics nicely, and threw a ton of tired old RTS cliches out the window to make a game that feels really fresh and new. Lets face it, the people that don't like this game were expecting to sleepwalk through battles doing the same exact thing they have been doing in RTS games for over 10 years..... instead they got OWNED by the CPU on "easy". Awesome! Expand
  93. RobD
    Feb 24, 2009
    Great game - very tactical and micro oriented rather than focusing on base building/build orders and spam. Requires constant real time adapting to what is going on on the battlefield rather than relying on high APM memorized build orders. In short, it's a different kind of RTS and it does what it set out to accomplish very well. If you thought RTS was getting stale and stagnant, you Great game - very tactical and micro oriented rather than focusing on base building/build orders and spam. Requires constant real time adapting to what is going on on the battlefield rather than relying on high APM memorized build orders. In short, it's a different kind of RTS and it does what it set out to accomplish very well. If you thought RTS was getting stale and stagnant, you need to check this out. A few bugs and hiccups have shown up in the first week but they are being stamped out very quickly, Expand
  94. GeneU.
    Feb 24, 2009
    I'm expecting real war RTS like Dawn of War at first, the first touch into the game brings me some disappointment. But soon, I realise this game is not about building massive amount of units and overrun opponent's bases typically. Its all about strategies and tactics. Really cool new age RTS and I actually spend time reading up on all units and discuss strategies with friends. I'm expecting real war RTS like Dawn of War at first, the first touch into the game brings me some disappointment. But soon, I realise this game is not about building massive amount of units and overrun opponent's bases typically. Its all about strategies and tactics. Really cool new age RTS and I actually spend time reading up on all units and discuss strategies with friends. With a real good plan, you can take out opponents with double your unit amount! Tat's what I call using your brains to fight! Give it a 9! Expand
  95. DonovanC
    Feb 26, 2009
    The amount of effort that has gone in to the great sequel to the Dawn of War series is amazing. The graphic content is superb. Gameplay reminds me a lot of the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop style. The campaign is interesting and still quite role-play focused. I hope that new campaigns for the other races or space marine chapters are released in future. In short...if you enjoyed Dawn of War The amount of effort that has gone in to the great sequel to the Dawn of War series is amazing. The graphic content is superb. Gameplay reminds me a lot of the Warhammer 40,000 tabletop style. The campaign is interesting and still quite role-play focused. I hope that new campaigns for the other races or space marine chapters are released in future. In short...if you enjoyed Dawn of War then you'll love this!!! Expand
  96. JacobA
    Feb 27, 2009
    I was worred about this game during the beta... but with the full release, my fears were put to rest as relic has done it again. This is easily the best RTS currently on the market. They have returned to the tabletop origins of 40K and done it well. The removal of most base construction, and the inability to secure points on the battlefield brings all of the focus onto your units in the I was worred about this game during the beta... but with the full release, my fears were put to rest as relic has done it again. This is easily the best RTS currently on the market. They have returned to the tabletop origins of 40K and done it well. The removal of most base construction, and the inability to secure points on the battlefield brings all of the focus onto your units in the field and emphasises strategic engagement and battlefield control. I am still plumbing the depths of this game as far from making things simpler, relic has designed an amazingly complex game, with layer upon layer of strategic options at your disposal. Do you cut off an enemies power supply? Attempt to hold a key location, knowing it will cost you valuable units, when do you stay, when do you withdraw, when do you feint and surprise flank an enemy... brilliantly done. Expand
  97. AnonymousMC
    Feb 28, 2009
    Personally I think that the game is great. I'm sure with future patches and DLC it will get even better. What STARS said was hilarious, but other than that a little idiotic. If you want to play CoH....go play CoH. I find it refreshing that a gaming company decided to spend more than 10 minutes on the actual structure and foundation of a highly anticipated release and did somethingPersonally I think that the game is great. I'm sure with future patches and DLC it will get even better. What STARS said was hilarious, but other than that a little idiotic. If you want to play CoH....go play CoH. I find it refreshing that a gaming company decided to spend more than 10 minutes on the actual structure and foundation of a highly anticipated release and did something that you don't sit down with and wonder why you just bought what seems to me the 5000th release of the same RTS. As much fun as massing a million zerglings is, it's nice to spend your time playing actually DOING something. Expand
  98. PPM
    Mar 11, 2009
    Great Game! First i thought that only one playable race is would be a bit boring,but i found out, that the storymode (campaign) is very good and the multiplayer is also very enjoyable, playing with Friends...One thing is that thq separates this game in many announced add-ons (- much money for them).
  99. MikeSikora
    Mar 11, 2009
    While SP experience is kind of lacking, gets boring after a while (always same enemy layots on same maps...), its saved by excellent MP. Small-scale, very specialized units and every one of them useful in some way. Absolutely addictive, and despite its flaws, well worth having and playing.
    #1 RTW multiplayer game at the moment.
  100. DeyKim
    Mar 13, 2009
    This is a great game, what more could a person ask for? Relic did a great job in making a creative RTS that is unique from all the others on the market, just like they did with Homeworld. A fan for life, do yourself a favor and get this game!
  101. Jul 21, 2012

The single-player mash-up of RTS and RPG elements works really well, and the multiplayer is fast and exciting. Relic's reinvention of the Dawn of War brand is a breath of fresh (or possibly fetid, Tyranid infested) air.
  2. Dawn of War II is a highly innovative twist on the usual RTS formula that dares to think outside the box while staying true to the WH40k source material. Campaign co-op play is a great addition to the already superb single player game but the head-to-head multiplayer skirmish is a bit of a disappointment.
  3. Dawn of War was a finely tuned game with huge battles and many disposable troops. Dawn of War II is faster, lighter, smaller, in some ways more interesting and in other ways somewhat lacking in its execution. But taken as a whole it’s impossible to not recommend the game to 40K fans and to those who are willing to accept that this is not a linear sequel to an aging franchise.