• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 18, 2009
8.1

1. Apr 6, 2015
    I will start with this; I was disappointed. I have played the Dawn of War series since the first part. For those who have played the first part, think about what you had to do. You had to build a base, manage resources, and place defenses to protect you from the enemy. Dawn of War 2 takes that, and throws it out the window. In the multiplayer mode (I'll get onto the rest later), all youI will start with this; I was disappointed. I have played the Dawn of War series since the first part. For those who have played the first part, think about what you had to do. You had to build a base, manage resources, and place defenses to protect you from the enemy. Dawn of War 2 takes that, and throws it out the window. In the multiplayer mode (I'll get onto the rest later), all you have is one building and two turrets. All the units are available in this one building, and there is only one unit that can place turrets. The strategic points, crit points and slag deposits are gone, and in their places are power and requisition resource points. I understand that some people will say that it focuses more on the tactics, but in the 1st game you had to plan out not only where to go but how to manage your resources. The games that I've played, both with bots and other players, were horrendously short compared to the first. None of that artillery and heavy vehicles also, apart from two or three tanks. I also have to point out the absurdness of the DLC's. The Chaos Space Marines (!) are locked off, and instead we get a Zerg-like alien race. I judge the game by what the base game is, and not by what the DLC's add in. What is even more annoying is that the game even allows you to play against them, the game shows you the race, waves it in front of your face, then snatches it away and asks for another 10 Euros. At least in the first game the races just did not show up if you didn't own them. In conclusion, the multiplayer mode is an offense to the first game. If you want the multiplayer, get Dawn of War 1 with the Dark Crusade DLC. It will be cheaper and more fun than the Second game with the Dark Crusade DLC (I heard that the Retribution is actually decent)
    Moving on to the single-player. The story follows a newly-appointed Force Commander of the space marines - whose name we choose - and his squad. I won't say any more to avoid spoilers. The story is very good. I really like that the squad leaders have names: Tarkus - the leader of the tactical marines, Cyrus, the leader of the Scouts, and more. The voice acting is good and the different teams have lots of diversity. One thing that has been mucked up in the story is the acquiring of Wargear (I'm not even going to mention the tons of Wargear DLC). Wargear is... wait for it... dropped! The whole sense of achievement and customization is gone and replaced with crates that drop the wargear. The rest, though is fairly good.
    Now we come on to the Last Stand mode (By the way, there's a DLC that allows you to play the Last Stand mode! What's the difference? You don't have to open Dawn of War 2! Let me ask you. Is this worth 7 Euros?), and while the mode is fun. It is quite repetitive and unless you want to pay 10 Euros for the Chaos rising DLC, this time two races are locked off! By this rate in the next dawn of war you will have to buy a DLC to play as the Space Marines. This time we are deprived of the Tyranids - the alien race, which would be very useful for this mode. Basically we are thrown into an arena with two other players and we have to survive as long as we can (sound familiar?)In this mode, the random wargear drops make more sense, but what's the point if you can just buy the DLC and get it right away?
    And here I come to the biggest problem with the game. The DLC's. There are 22 of them! Literally, I checked on Steam. This includes: the last standalone- The Last Stand in a Standalone client version(7 Euros). Wagear Packs (7 packs 1 euro a piece) The Ultramarines pack - a replacer for the marines (7 Euros). Keep in mind that all the above mentioned are DLC's that only work if you get retribution.(15 Euros). There are DLC's for DLC's in this game! But I'm not done. There are also Wargears for Last Standlaone, and skin pack that cost 7 Euros. The Grand Master Edition of this game( All DLC's) costs 58 euros! For around that cost that cost you could get the first game with the Dark Crusade addon for you and two friends (It would cost approx 60 Euros). The amount of DLC's is shocking. This puts Call of Duty to shame.
    If you value your money, wait for a sale. Alternatively, get the First game, buy the Dark Crusade DLC and install a graphics mod. It's cheaper. I have to give credit to the voice actors and to the team behind the graphics. As to the rest, a poor effort. For a few steps forward and many leaps back, I give this game a 3 out of 10.
  2. Jan 18, 2015
    Very bad game, I do not recommend. My score is 0, sorry only that he can not below 0, the game is boring as all the strategies, the only thing that coh 2 game worse than this
  3. Sep 21, 2014
    dumbed down version of the originals and the expansions are poor as well hopefully dawn of war 3 will go back to its roots..........................................................
  4. Aug 2, 2014
    When I first tried this game, I'm going to be honest: I was incredibly mad. "No buildings? What the heck? Only a handful of units? Why? What is wrong with everything?".
    Then, I started realizing something. This is not your average "hoard-resources-build-a-giant-army" RTS. It has a much more fast-paced and agile take onto real time strategy, which as much disorienting as it is at first, is a welcome change. The game purely focuses on combat; there are only two upgrades and both of them are to unlock high tier units, the squads have different skills depending on the weapon equipped and the squad itself, the commander isn't a useless **** that you need to protect, it stays on the frontline wrecking havoc amongst the enemy ranks or providing all kinds of support to your squad.
    At the end of the day, you take a look at it and can help but think that this is a mix between MOBA and RTS, and a darn good one.
    Definitely worth your attention if you don't mind having a faster, more quick reaction based experience!

Oh also, the campaing is **** EPIC! Loved every bit of it, recommend playing it before getting into multiplayer so you're more familiarized with the gamplay.
  5. Jun 28, 2014
    Dawn of War spielt im Warhammer 40k Universum von Games Workshop.
    Die Kampagne kann wahlweise alleine oder im Koop bestreiten.
    Die Story ist wie bei allen 40k Geschichten… Krieg!. Diese Geschichte handelt vom Kampf um den Sub-Sektor Aurelia, welches auch die Rekrutierungswelt der Bloodravens beinhaltet. Wir spielen einen jungen Space Marine Captain, vom Orden der Bloodraven, der am
    Dawn of War spielt im Warhammer 40k Universum von Games Workshop.
    Die Kampagne kann wahlweise alleine oder im Koop bestreiten.

Die Story ist wie bei allen 40k Geschichten… Krieg!.
    Wir spielen einen jungen Space Marine Captain, vom Orden der Bloodraven, der am Anfang seiner Laufbahn steht und gegen Orcs in die Schlacht zieht welche die Rekrutierungswelt bedrohen.
    Nur um festzustellen das der Auslöser für den Angriff der Orcs eine weit größere Bedrohung ist.

Einen Basisaufbau gibt es nicht.
    Der ♥♥♥us liegt auf unseren Squad´s und dem Kommandanten der Space Marines welchen wir ins Feld führen. Die Positionierung, das Nutzen von Deckung, das Ausnutzen der gegnerischen schwächen und die Spezialfähigkeiten unserer Einheiten bringen uns den Sieg.

Während der Kampagne sammeln die Einheiten welche wir ins Feld führen Erfahrung. Hiermit können wir den unterschiedlichen Einheiten Fähigkeiten freischalten.
    Darüber hinaus können wir Ausrüstungsgegenstände (Relikte und Artefakte des Ordens) finden.
    Die gewählte Ausrüstung und freigeschalteten Fähigkeiten Beeinflussen wie sich der Trupp auf dem Feld schlägt und spielt. Somit hat man die Möglichkeit die Trupps seinen eigenen spielerischen Vorlieben anzugleichen.

Die Kampagne hat Schlüsselmissionen, daneben ist sie aber dynamisch. So können zeitlich begrenzt zur Verfügung stehende Missionen absolviert oder ignoriert werden, was uns zum Vor- oder Nachteil gereicht.

Für PvP Liebhaber gibt es 1v1, 2v2, 3v3 Kämpfe bei denen durch das Halten von Kontrollpunkten der gegnerische Punktestand auf 0 reduziert werden muß um zu gewinnen. Zur Wahl stehen die vier Rassen die in der Kampagne die Hauptrolle spielen.

Die Animationen und die generelle erzeugte Atmosphäre passen perfekt um sich im 40k Universum wiederzufinden!

Ein rundes RTS Spiel welches ohne den Basisaufbau für ein schnelles dynamisches Spielerlebnis sorgt.
  6. May 28, 2014
    To put it simply, Dawn of War II had really enjoyable campaign and co-op modes, but the multiplayer competitive play? I'd give that a miss, though the new mechanics introduced and abolition of base construction made for a unique campaign experience, in multiplayer it just feels awkward and dull.
  7. Mar 5, 2014
    I think it's a joke, that you can't build "normal" buildings like in the first Dawn of War. This means the campaign and the normal battles aren't really interesting. I don't like that the Imperial Army and the Chaos Space Marines aren't playable in this version.
  8. Nov 18, 2013
    Absolute and utter crap. It seems like fun the first couple of missions, and a steady stream of gear and loot. However suddenly it turn into an absolute crapfest. You think you've got better and better gear, however for some reason the enemy gets just 10x faster upgrades or something. At midgame, my entire team got entirely wiped out from a single attack by a boss. It makes you angryAbsolute and utter crap. It seems like fun the first couple of missions, and a steady stream of gear and loot. However suddenly it turn into an absolute crapfest. You think you've got better and better gear, however for some reason the enemy gets just 10x faster upgrades or something. At midgame, my entire team got entirely wiped out from a single attack by a boss. It makes you angry because it's no strategy or tactics involved whatsoever. Feels like a cheap and crappy android pay-to-win game. As a former Warhammer player, I am sad to say this game has wasted 5-6 hours of my life. Do not buy. Expand
  9. Oct 4, 2013
    Easily the best RTS game out there, even a few years after release (with Retribution expansion pack) compared to it Starcraft 2 feels like it is DoW's retarted cousin.
    There are 6 factions in multiplayer, each one feels very different from another and each has 3 different commanders which differentiate them further, making it very hard to be bored with it.
    There is an incredible amount
    There is an incredible amount of unit upgrades, wargear for commanders, abilities and tactics to use. Each race takes a good 30-50 hours to master, there are many people with 1 k hours clocked in and still playing (personally I have about 300 and counting). Larger maps with up to 6 players are even more challenging, with more emphasis on long term strategy rather than micromanagement.
    Yet the game is not by any means overwhelming, and it's quite easy to learn the basics.
    The only thing that's not done right is too few maps. I'd really like to see some maps coming in DLC format, but since THQ got bankrupt it's very unlikely.
    There is also survival horde-mode, where up to three players defend themselves from hordes of incoming enemies, after each game earning experience and wargear to upgrade their heroes. Although not very complex it is very addictive.
    As to singleplayer, the base game's singleplayer campaign is pretty good and lasts for a good 15 hours if you do all the side missions. Chaos Rising campaign is shorter but has new interesting features and multiple endings making it also a good chunk of fun. In Retribution, the advantage is that you can play it with any race of your choosing, not just Space Marines, but the disadvantage is worse story and less unit customization options. Personally the base game's campaign is my favorite.

There are still people playing in time I write this review (october 2013), it's very easy to find someone to play with, both newbies and pros with thousands of hours. There are also mods (I recommend Elite mod) that add additional units and maps. Easily one of the best game I've played, and the best RTS.
    Get it, it's dirt-cheap these days. No excuses, go to a store
  10. Jun 15, 2013
    I've spent an afternoon with the campaign mode, so it is slightly engaging, but only having a few squads to deal with isn't very exciting and doesn't leave much for tactical scope. It's basically stand and fire and wait for the power ups to refresh, a bit like what I imagine WoW to be.

I am a big fan of the first game, but really haven't had much fun with this one.
  11. Jun 6, 2013
    In many ways a very good game. It was however somewhat ruined by repetitive and unimaginative maps. It captures a lot of the atmosphere of the wh40k universe, and the units feel unique and have interesting development options.
  12. May 30, 2013
    Big disappointment after Warhammmer 40k dawn of war Why remove base building just why... Played the game for 4-6 hours and got bored if you want a good RTS just buy dawn of war 1
  13. Mar 20, 2013
    Dawn of War 2 is kind of a mix of strategy and RPG. It's different from other RTS's in the sense that units level up as they fight and get stronger. You can also equip different weapons on to different squads and change them up to your liking. At least in the singleplayer.

but who gives a about the singleplayer, the MULTIPLAYER in this game is badass, and for me that's what really makes this game amazing. It's addicting, it's tactical, it's competitive, and it's simply awesome. It has a very high learning curve however, expect to get your ass kicked for a while before you actually get good at it. It doesn't have enough maps, and the pathing is a bit messed up, but the sheer attention to detail with the character models and superb voice acting mixed with incredible depth (in the multiplayer) makes this game a must for strategy fans in my books.
  14. Feb 3, 2013
    Me encanta en todo ámbito, las misiones son muy simpáticas. Me gusta el progreso de cada personaje e ir mejorando las aptitudes que estimes convenientes. Me gusta que siempre haya un jefe final al que vencer y los hay unos bien poderosos. Siendo solo un iniciando en el mundo warhammer, debo decir que me encanta esa ambientación futurista retro tecnológica, esa mezcla fascinante como deMe encanta en todo ámbito, las misiones son muy simpáticas. Me gusta el progreso de cada personaje e ir mejorando las aptitudes que estimes convenientes. Me gusta que siempre haya un jefe final al que vencer y los hay unos bien poderosos. Siendo solo un iniciando en el mundo warhammer, debo decir que me encanta esa ambientación futurista retro tecnológica, esa mezcla fascinante como de futuro y pasado. Lástima que sea tan opacado por starcraft, siendo que éstos tomaron "prestadas" muchos conceptos para su juego. En fin no he probado el multiplayer,pero la campaña está de lujo no tengo aspectos negativos que comentar. Expand
  15. Feb 3, 2013
    I loved the first game in the series, the base building, while less than most other RTS games, was still solid, and balanced with the game play. It was, it's own game. I LOVED it.

Then this game came out. Absolutely HATED it, they took everything I loved from 40k, and just threw it right out the window. Lets take out all the base building, most of the vehicles, and EVERY single element that could even be close to macro-managing in favor of uselessly elongated matches.

And the campaign...they decided they'd make a bunch of 1v1 maps, then just port them all into the campaign. Want interesting match-ups? Too bad. Wanted to do a space marine rush/push? Too bad, because you have to work with 4 squads of 3, which entails sitting around for a long time waiting for them to kill massive spam of enemies.

Worst RTS I've ever played, by far.
  16. Jan 7, 2013
    One of the best looking RTS for sure.. Camping mod has som really interesting missions but also some boring ones. Story is good and characters are funny too. The multiplayer is best part of this game for sure.
  17. Jan 3, 2013
    This is definitely one of the best games I have ever played in my entire life. I will rate it 8 because it uses Windows LIVE, though. Absolutely terrible service.
  18. Dec 11, 2012
    A lot of people give their rating based on their taste instead to look at the game from a neutral position. It is a lot different than the first part, but it sure is a worthy part in the Warhammer series. I got really late into the Warhammer world, with DoW 1 being released in 2007 and the second one in 2009. I played the first one first to get into the story in case the second one is aA lot of people give their rating based on their taste instead to look at the game from a neutral position. It is a lot different than the first part, but it sure is a worthy part in the Warhammer series. I got really late into the Warhammer world, with DoW 1 being released in 2007 and the second one in 2009. I played the first one first to get into the story in case the second one is a continuation of the story. I understand that some people are upset it isn't like the first one but in my opinion it's even better. DoW 1 was a standard RTS just playing in the Warhammer universe, nothing special. But DoW 2 actually isn't like most of the other RTS games, it has some RPG elements that fit right in. The campaign is challenging if you're playing it on a hard difficulty, it's quiet boring in the beginning but you get more and more into the story and get hooked. With all the upgrades and skills for each squad you actually have a choice on how you want to do your missions. If you're looking for a little different RTS, DoW 2 is a good choice. Expand
  19. Dec 11, 2012
    The original DOW and it's expansions are superior. This is basically a reskinned Company of Heroes but with no base management. The campaign is fun co-op but it's isometric RPG-lite and you've probably played better before. If you're looking for a Warhammer 40k game, check out the original DOW (best single player campaign of the original series) and/or it's expansion Dark Crusade (bestThe original DOW and it's expansions are superior. This is basically a reskinned Company of Heroes but with no base management. The campaign is fun co-op but it's isometric RPG-lite and you've probably played better before. If you're looking for a Warhammer 40k game, check out the original DOW (best single player campaign of the original series) and/or it's expansion Dark Crusade (best multiplayer of the original series) instead. Expand
  20. Nov 14, 2012
    How's every body doing, for my first review I decided to do one of my favorite games. Having played all of the previous Dawn of War games I had pretty high expectations for this one, especially with all the epic fails that all the expansions for the previous dawn of war ended up being.

Just to start I'll go into the single player campaign. The game mechanics are very similar to the first Dawn of war, which were fairly easy to pickup within the first mission or two. It became very obvious to me from the beginning that the guys at THQ have actually started to listen to some of the fan base of the original game. They have implemented and in depth story line that does the books justice but still allowed for some choice on how to develop your characters, and how you proceed along the liner story line. "You must remember while playing the game that yes, the game play is important but they are trying to tell a story as well." The cover concept was add back into the game, well maybe that's a bad way to put it. A better way to put it is that they made cover important again, basically there is no more mad rush tactics that were so common in the previous expansions. Basically the campaign it's self is pretty solid all around, keeping you interested right till the end.

The RPG element of the game, they have made vast improvements in this compared to it's predecessor. Now I'm not saying that it is anything new that we haven't seen in other games, but it works, it's simple and it keeps your focus where it should be... on the Mission map. Simply there is two RPG elements common to all RPG games leveling your characters and they're load out of equipment. The equipment load out is pretty simple you'll figure it out for your self. The leveling of your character can be a little trickier, you have to choose between being a jack of all trades or leveling up in very specific areas. This being said if you are not adaptable and can't move away from a certain play style your are not going to get much replay value out of DOW 2.

Multiplayer, sorry I can't really comment on this part of the game. This is mostly because, the very hard-line multiplayer focus of the previous DOW was what ruined the game for a lot of fans of the first game, so to be honest I really had no interest into delving into that part of the game.

In all I gave the game and 8 because THQ took and old game that people love and made it new again.
  21. Oct 10, 2012
    Finally, an RTS that requires a huge amount of skill and tactics in multi-player. Although I do see why people prefer the original, I believe that replacing the huge army with smaller, more tactical squads is a welcoming change. The campaign is entertaining, but would be much better if the AI had any intelligence at all. However, multi-player is where this game shines. Probably the bestFinally, an RTS that requires a huge amount of skill and tactics in multi-player. Although I do see why people prefer the original, I believe that replacing the huge army with smaller, more tactical squads is a welcoming change. The campaign is entertaining, but would be much better if the AI had any intelligence at all. However, multi-player is where this game shines. Probably the best RTS I have played in a long time. Expand
  22. Sep 23, 2012
    I am generally not a big RTS fan, but I greatly liked Dawn of War II. Maybe perhaps it was very action-oriented and had a good pace. Maybe also this is why many of the fans of the original didn't like this one. You don't actually build anything in this game or collect resources, etc. You just get dropped off in the battle zone and using various skills and military tactics you have to getI am generally not a big RTS fan, but I greatly liked Dawn of War II. Maybe perhaps it was very action-oriented and had a good pace. Maybe also this is why many of the fans of the original didn't like this one. You don't actually build anything in this game or collect resources, etc. You just get dropped off in the battle zone and using various skills and military tactics you have to get the mission done. The missions have a good length and do not drag on, but there are loads of them. Another feature that I really loved about Dawn of War II is the presence of RPG elements. The squad characters level up as you complete missions and when they level up you can advance them in certain combat disciplines, whether it's health and survival, ranged damage, melee damage, or energy utilisation. This gives a certain element of replayability as you can take each squad member in different directions. Each character has their distinct strengths and weaknesses, and hence a lot of decision making befalls on the player when it comes to choosing which gear to equip them and in fact which squad members to take on the mission (as you can't take them all). The campaign is pretty long and also has a bit of an open-ended style to it after about halfway through, where some missions are optional and others are time-sensitive, meaning you also have to make decisions in regard to prioritising your missions, which is great fun and is incredibly intense. There is a lot of incentive to do well on each mission, because the better you do them, the more additional deployments you get and hence you can solve time-critical missions earlier on. I'll also review the Chaos Rising expansion on here too. It introduced a new story arc that takes place a year after the Dawn of War II campaign, and although the storyline is better, full of various twists, the campaign suffers a bit from being way too linear. There is no more incentive for doing well, because you do not get additional deployments and there are hardly any optional and time-critical missions. Chaos Rising also introduces an additional squad member, as well as a new idea to the gameplay - the corruption system. To be honest, I wasn't too fond of this idea as it was a bit annoying since all of the best gear was corrupting to the squad members, so you either had to use mediocre gear, or to use the corrupting gear and face the consequences during the game. Although Chaos Rising was a bit weaker in my opinion than the Dawn of War II campaign, I generally enjoyed them both and they lasted me a good amount of time - the original DoW II campaign should last you around 20 hours, and Chaos Rising another 10, so you'll have at least 30 hours in a single playthrough, not to mention the option of playing co-op with friends, as well as the hoard/survival mode. Expand
  23. Aug 5, 2012
    Dawn of War II is weaker than its predecessor, but it's still a good game. The unit customization, experience and campaign are nice, but it lacks the strategic depth of the first game.
  24. Jul 28, 2012
    Okay, I'll be honest with you. At first, having tried the demo and a taste of what DoW2 has to offer, I was sorely disappointed by the drastic change from the gameplay of the original game. HOWEVER, I still decided to give it a shot and I'm so glad that I did. The game plays differently, (there's no building, and more about squad abilities and tactics) but this is by no means bad. TheOkay, I'll be honest with you. At first, having tried the demo and a taste of what DoW2 has to offer, I was sorely disappointed by the drastic change from the gameplay of the original game. HOWEVER, I still decided to give it a shot and I'm so glad that I did. The game plays differently, (there's no building, and more about squad abilities and tactics) but this is by no means bad. The campaign is quite engaging and you're given a number of varied squads to improve and upgrade throughout the game, and that is by far my favourite part. There is choice involved in missions, outfitting and strategy, making an overall flamboyant single player campaign. The co-op is just as sweet. But wait there's more. The cream of the crop is the multiplayer and The Last Stand where you take on hordes of monsters with 2 other heroes. Great additions all way round. Long story short, yes it is a massive departure from DoW1's style but it is fortunately just as good in its own right. I certainly have respect for the devs for changing things up and trying out something new, and I'm glad that they've still kept the strength of this series and its ability to constantly impress me. Expand
  25. Jul 28, 2012
    I find it rather odd how people are complaining about the RPG elements in the singleplayer mode. Warhammer 40k having RPG elements is bad? Did people have a lapse of memory as to what 40k is? The RPG elements do a better job of resembling collecting figures, building your army, and rolling dice than having completely uncustomizeable units. I mean seriously...

GFWL is a complaint? It's

GFWL is a complaint? It's free. I honestly do not understand why people think it is such a hassle. Aside from the automatic sign in as the game launches, you wouldn't even notice that GFWL exists until you play multiplayer. Making an account takes a minute unless you're handicapped in some regard. I've had GFWL for 7 years now and never in my entire usage did I encounter the kinds of problems people commonly complain about. I get it, it sucks having to use it. I completely agree, but that alone doesn't make it bad.

Retreat is definitely an issue, but this is more of a Relic issue, not a DOWII issue. Relic did the same **** in COH and they realized people were upset by it so they're changing it. I agree, the current retreat feature is completely oversimplified.

Aside from "it wasn't like the old game", the removal of base building can be seen as a good thing. Your focus is shifted completely off of bases and onto combat. This allows for combat to be significantly more intricate than before, but as several others have pointed out, the Orks and Tyranids don't play very uniquely.

If you believe the singleplayer is overly easy and you can spam retreat to save yourself, you must have been playing on Normal. Try that on Primarch. I dare you. Yes, you can complete the campaigns on Normal with almost no thought involved. As soon as you start trying to maximize tokens (>80% of units killed, no squads incapacitated, very short clear time), as well as playing on Primarch, the single player becomes very challenging and thoughtful.

As for other simplifications from the original DOW, these criticisms are completely valid. The game easily could have had more content and customization. The lack of scope in the game is a completely valid change, as it places more importance on individual units and how you use them in combat instead of "amass X number of unit Y, use this build order, rush". Those kinds of "strategies" can be just as repetitive and if you won't admit it you're lying through your teeth.

I could have sworn PLAYING THE FULL GAME was a prerequisite to writing a review.
  26. Jul 21, 2012
    Someone else wrote the perfect summary in a review: Dawn of War II is a great game. But it doesn't feel like "Dawn of War", or like a real time strategy game. If you manage to ignore that, it's a lot of fun: it's basically part Diablo, part Jagged Alliance, which is great. It's also very fast paced, requires quite a bit of playing skill (on higher difficulty levels at least), and looksSomeone else wrote the perfect summary in a review: Dawn of War II is a great game. But it doesn't feel like "Dawn of War", or like a real time strategy game. If you manage to ignore that, it's a lot of fun: it's basically part Diablo, part Jagged Alliance, which is great. It's also very fast paced, requires quite a bit of playing skill (on higher difficulty levels at least), and looks great -- a very visceral feel of obliterating those enemies of mankind. But what is missing is the feel that you're leading an *army*. That is something that many of us enjoyed in the original Dawn of War, and that is the real problem of the sequel: I don't mind that there's no base building, but the fact that I only play 4 squads of soldiers makes this a completely different type of game. I would have preferred if THQ would have created two series of games: the original RTS Dawn of War series, and a series called something like Dawn of War: Squad Combat, in which this game would belong. In summary, it's a pretty good game, but I miss the more epic scale of a real RTS. Expand
  27. Jul 21, 2012
    Dawn of War 2 is an RTS/RPG-hybrid where the player takes control of a maximum of four squads of units. Standard RTS-controls apply. Each squad comes with a squad leader that can level up between missions and equip new items that are looted on the battlefield or gained as a mission reward. After each mission the player will be asked to choose the next mission objective from a star mapDawn of War 2 is an RTS/RPG-hybrid where the player takes control of a maximum of four squads of units. Standard RTS-controls apply. Each squad comes with a squad leader that can level up between missions and equip new items that are looted on the battlefield or gained as a mission reward. After each mission the player will be asked to choose the next mission objective from a star map where they will be able to see how much time is left for a mission, what the rewards are and what kind of assets are available on the planets. The ultimate goal is to stop the Tyranid threat which is represented by a bar that is constantly filling up as time goes by. Focus too much on one planet and you won't be able to save another. During missions there are three types of assets to be captured and each asset gives the player a strategic advantage. Winning the game relies on finding the time to capture these assets but not lingering around for too long as it diminishes the chances of gaining another deployment for that day. The more deployments per day that you secure, the slower the Tyranid threat grows and the more experience your troops gain. When 2 players engage in co-operative play, they will each be assigned two squads and although these are locked during the RTS stage, the players are allowed to both seamlessly control the interface during the RPG/tactical planning phase. As the person whom I played DoW 2 with put it "the Warhammer universe is endlessly repeating itself" so the story is just that; familiar. Sounds and video are excellent, the game looks and plays brilliantly. Although I am not a very big fan of the Warhammer universe, this game is legendary. Most fun can be had in co-operative play with a like-minded friend and my only grievances with it are the fishtank soundbug, the inclusion of GFWL and the inability to rebind your special abilities and accessoires! Expand
  28. Jun 16, 2012
    Hugely dissapointed, They took away everything that was great about DOW1 and pretty much screwed it up. The battles aren't epic, the lack of base building isn't fun, and the races are all the same and boring. I had really high hopes for this game, I seriously wish I could return this.

2 for graphics.
  29. Jun 1, 2012
    The campaign is a great mix of RPG and strategy game-play and the last stand is one of my favorite games but i preferred DoW 1's base building and larger armies to this game's shift to tactical game-play although many people will probably like it
  30. May 15, 2012
    I enjoyed this game. Its downside is it seems to lack some complexity. I haven't tried online mode, so this rating is only representative of campaign play.
  31. Apr 24, 2012
    Dawn of war 2 is a great game to have for your pc. Campaign's a lot of fun. Multiplayer is very fun to play Campaign 8/10 Multiplayer 8/10 DOW 2 8.5/10
  32. Dec 28, 2011
    I was severely underwhelmed and disappointed by this game. Whereas DoW was a true RTS, DoW2 was pushed more in the direction of a hybrid of RTS and ARPG. The single player campaign was very disappointing as you control four of six marine squads going through the same exact handful of maps with the only difference being the loot you pickup and the boss at the end. A complete lack ofI was severely underwhelmed and disappointed by this game. Whereas DoW was a true RTS, DoW2 was pushed more in the direction of a hybrid of RTS and ARPG. The single player campaign was very disappointing as you control four of six marine squads going through the same exact handful of maps with the only difference being the loot you pickup and the boss at the end. A complete lack of creativity in mission structure and goals. You're either going through the map destroying everything or defending your position against several waves of enemies. It quickly becomes stale, boring, and repetitive with the only reason to continue on being what new abilities your squads get and new gear they come across.

Mulitiplayer isn't bad, but nothing to write home about either. Last Stand is the most popular mode where you control a single hero unit and go up against increasing waves of enemies and try to last as long as possible.
  33. Dec 18, 2011
    I played half of this poorly produced RTS and had so many issues with it, I decided to uninstall it 50 hours in. I normally beat games, but this travesty was so horribly produced it had almost no RTS value at all. Strategy is non-existent in this 'real time' piece of junk. I'd just like to iterate that i've never played a game with such a horrible saving system, unrealistic fightingI played half of this poorly produced RTS and had so many issues with it, I decided to uninstall it 50 hours in. I normally beat games, but this travesty was so horribly produced it had almost no RTS value at all. Strategy is non-existent in this 'real time' piece of junk. I'd just like to iterate that i've never played a game with such a horrible saving system, unrealistic fighting scenarios, or horrible jerky controls (That you CANNOT reprogram, by the way). Slamming the escape button does nothing, and hitting ctrl alt del will do nothing but save the game. I uninstalled this after trying to give it a shot, but it was just so horribly made I couldn't continue any further. Real Warhammer doesn't consist of 4 heroes and 4 squad-mates taking on entire battalions of Orks. This is a flaming pile of **** Pirate it if you truly want to play it. Expand
  34. Dec 10, 2011
    For completely unknown reasons there are game designers who think you can never have enough generic 'zerg the world' games: And it seems they all worked on DoW2.
    There is no strategy in this game; there are barely any tactics in this game; but if you're a 6 year old moron and can be entertained for hours on the strength of pretty colours and sparkly lights then you'll find plenty in DoW 2 to love.
    A massive step backwards for the franchise and seriously damaging to the entire GW brand.
  35. Dec 6, 2011
    In dire need of a real time strategy game I got this for a steal on Steam. It's a nice game and I must stress as someone who had no clue what Warhammer was until this YOU DON"T NEED TO BE FAMILIAR WITH THE SERIES TO LIKE THIS GAME.
  36. Nov 12, 2011
    After playing this game for an hour, i thought to myself, 'why don't I like it?'
    Even though the physics and graphics on this game are good, the multiplayer is awful, the game shouldn't even be a Dawn of war. Compare this to DOW Soulstorm and you'll see a massive difference in gameplay (and graphics).
    If you are a fan of the 40k universe, then play this.
    If your knew to it, buy the previous games
  37. Nov 3, 2011
    Singleplayer was great, although filled with cheese. No room for character development with space marines, but I guess that's how they were created. Once the tryanids came in, you did see some repeating missions, but they were avoidable for the most part. Great strategic gameplay, and I loved the loot and the abilities (SO! MUCH! LOOT!!!!).

The multiplayer modes seem well balanced,

The multiplayer modes seem well balanced, although I haven't touched them enough to give a rock-solid review on them. Last Stand is incredibly fun, constantly having me come up with new and interesting ways to slaughter hordes of enemies (although there's some loadouts that are clearly better).

Some may not like the squad based gameplay, and I was a little confused with it at first, but it grows on you. Instead of most RTSs where individual units are usually expendable, keeping units alive in this game is crucial (multiplayer). As long as one squad member survives, you can replenish the squad, so their upgrades and levels don't go to waste. The entire squad gets gibbed, you lose their vital experience. That's not to say that you can't beat higher level enemies, but it's certainly harder.
  38. Oct 23, 2011
    I love the graphics,the Characters,the weapons,the costumization hero,I'm not so impress with multiplayer mode but it's not bad.I don't really like about the design each mission of the campaign,they're al just the same activities= Explore,find the foundry or the what they call commlink or something,kill the ORKS then find the boss on the top of the map,get the wargear.it's kind of boringI love the graphics,the Characters,the weapons,the costumization hero,I'm not so impress with multiplayer mode but it's not bad.I don't really like about the design each mission of the campaign,they're al just the same activities= Explore,find the foundry or the what they call commlink or something,kill the ORKS then find the boss on the top of the map,get the wargear.it's kind of boring activity to me...however I still love the fantasy of the Warhammer 40K universe Expand
  39. Oct 20, 2011
    There is a lot of pros and cons to this game.
    The pros:
    -A lot of the controls is just like Company of Heroes where you you take your squad of heavy gunners and point them in a direction, throwing grenades, providing health to the rest of the squads. - There are neat talents that each squad has such as the scouts can go invisible, There is an assault marine group that jumps on the enemy
    There is a lot of pros and cons to this game.
    The pros:
    - There are neat talents that each squad has such as the scouts can go invisible, There is an assault marine group that jumps on the enemy and things of that nature.
    - As the game progresses, your squads gains experience, levels up, and you use that experience to upgrade either range attack, melee attack, health, talent., and in each one of them if you upgrade enough, you get to enhance your squads talents. - As for your squads being upgraded, so does your enemies units so when you face off the same type of enemy, they usually have a new trick up their sleeve that keeps the game new and fun.

Cons:
    - The game has to be signed into windows live
    - There is no point to the save feature on this game because it SAVES everything anyways, so if you make a mistake on a mission, you can't even alt+ctrl+del out of the game to redo it as if nothing happened, IT SAVES IT ANYWAYS.
    - For the con above, it maybe great for a "gamer" but there is us who treat a video game as just that, a video game, something to let go, have a little fun because we already go through real life which really doesn't have redo.
    -No tutorial on how to play the game, and even though most games are self explanatory, It would be nice to have something tells you how to build up your squads levels because as you progress through the game, you will have to fail the mission just to build up your squads strength because the enemy is just too powerful and you are feeling a bit discouraged the first time you realize this.
    - Even though the game upgrades the enemies level, the game can get monotonous from having to die just to gain experience and acquire both structures from each mission.
    - Some characters in this game are really annoying in a nerdy way such as the scout, when one of the syndicates in his squad makes a kill, he will say " good kill syndicate, but you still have not earned your place". If I didn't need his squad in the game, I would never bring them on missions.
  40. Oct 18, 2011
    This was no fun at all. except the missions where you defend against waves. INSANE repetition of maps, you will play the same map at least 3 times with similar objectives. Losing men is meaningless, you just retreat and recharge. EVERY situation can be dealt with the same way, lead the enemy to a bottleneck. The AI is non existent, units simply charge at you, or wait until you get in theirThis was no fun at all. except the missions where you defend against waves. INSANE repetition of maps, you will play the same map at least 3 times with similar objectives. Losing men is meaningless, you just retreat and recharge. EVERY situation can be dealt with the same way, lead the enemy to a bottleneck. The AI is non existent, units simply charge at you, or wait until you get in their viewing range.
    Massive step back in every respect except graphics.
    this is disappointing after the previous DOW games. No buildings just removes an element from the game without adding a thing. Except superior graphics and destructible environments, no advancements and all removals of features.
  41. Sep 25, 2011
    Ein sehr gelungenes und spannendes Spiel, macht mir heute immer noch SpaÃ
  42. Sep 3, 2011
    This is a new approach at the RTS where you have control of stronger units than the typical RTS but you don't make new ones. Gone is the base building and resource management and you only focus on the combat. For me, that's fun but I can see where some people were let down. Since I only cared about the combat and paying attention to how much of this or that I have never appealed to meThis is a new approach at the RTS where you have control of stronger units than the typical RTS but you don't make new ones. Gone is the base building and resource management and you only focus on the combat. For me, that's fun but I can see where some people were let down. Since I only cared about the combat and paying attention to how much of this or that I have never appealed to me this game works really well. Other than that fundamental change its very much a RTS where you control each of your units from a top down perspective and each has a few unique abilities. This game adds a slight RPG element in that you collect loot as armor and weapons and customize your squads. You also spend points on very simple talent trees which adds a little extra to the game. Want your giant mech walker to kill from range or do you want him to squish units in melee range? You decide. It's got decent voiced story parts and the graphics are not bad either. Points taken off are for awkward keybinding which you can't change and missing graphical elements such as Vsync. These things can be modified if you want to go into the files and feel comfortable editing code and game files, something I think the devs should just put the stupid button in the game. Expand
  43. Aug 12, 2011
    Impressive and plenty of fun, with some noticeable flaws. The biggest flaw I'd say is the lack of responsive units. Nearly every unit feels slow and uncoordinated. With that said, the tactical aspects of the game are very fun. Setting up your units behind cover and watching them obliterate the landscape (along with any Ork in the way) is satisfying. I miss the large army/base-buildingImpressive and plenty of fun, with some noticeable flaws. The biggest flaw I'd say is the lack of responsive units. Nearly every unit feels slow and uncoordinated. With that said, the tactical aspects of the game are very fun. Setting up your units behind cover and watching them obliterate the landscape (along with any Ork in the way) is satisfying. I miss the large army/base-building gameplay from the first Dawn of War, but they've done a good job with this one. Expand
  44. Jul 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 10â Expand
  45. Jul 13, 2011
    I was a big fan of the original Dawn of War, so I was pretty excited when Dawn of War 2 came out. This game is probably the most disappointing sequel I have ever purchased! I understand them tweaking the gameplay a little, the first game just had large armies colliding into each other on the battlefield, which isn't very realistic or tactical. BUT I was rarely ever bored with the firstI was a big fan of the original Dawn of War, so I was pretty excited when Dawn of War 2 came out. This game is probably the most disappointing sequel I have ever purchased! I understand them tweaking the gameplay a little, the first game just had large armies colliding into each other on the battlefield, which isn't very realistic or tactical. BUT I was rarely ever bored with the first game, unlike it's sequel which I often found myself only mildly amused. Units don't feel powerful anymore, especially the commander units (except for vehicles), and everything just seems tame compared to the first game. Expand
  46. Jul 12, 2011
    I'm a longtime fan of Warhammer 40,000 tabletop game. Dawn of War gave me the flair i loved of the stories from that game on my computer. And seeing the models I've painted for years coming to life on my screen was a thrill. Now dawn of war II comes out and I was excited to buy it.

I wish on the cover it would have said tactical RPG, because there is no resource management at all in the campaign. Go here, blow this up, go there blow that up. Use some abilities, mission ends. It is fun, but it is not a real time strategy. it's a fun game in it's own right, if you want more tactical play, get Company of Heroes or the original Dawn of War game with expansions.
  47. Jul 9, 2011
    I believe Warhammer is a game loved by people who play the fantasy version. Though the graphics are simply awesome, the game leaves a lot to be desired from the strategy side of things. Folks, strategy implies that there are choices you can make that change the way the game unfolds--there is no such thing here. This game is boring after the video "awesomeness" wears out (and thatI believe Warhammer is a game loved by people who play the fantasy version. Though the graphics are simply awesome, the game leaves a lot to be desired from the strategy side of things. Folks, strategy implies that there are choices you can make that change the way the game unfolds--there is no such thing here. This game is boring after the video "awesomeness" wears out (and that doesn't take long). Expand
  48. May 10, 2011
    Don't get me wrong, the game has some things I like about it, specifically a unique blend of RPG and RTS, not to mention that it has the name of Warhammer 40,000. But like many of the other people who expressed frustration with this game, I felt like it just barely missed being exceptional with a few short-sighted mistakes (including lackluster AI, early-launch bugs, and unbalanced play).Don't get me wrong, the game has some things I like about it, specifically a unique blend of RPG and RTS, not to mention that it has the name of Warhammer 40,000. But like many of the other people who expressed frustration with this game, I felt like it just barely missed being exceptional with a few short-sighted mistakes (including lackluster AI, early-launch bugs, and unbalanced play). The fatal blow to the game in my mind was the repetition. Did they really launch a game with only a handful of maps (campaign) and then expect you to play each one until you can recreate it in your head down to the very last pixel? This is one of the few times that I've been very disappointed with the professional critics because I think they missed the mark in a major way. I understand that they want to support a company who tries something new (i.e. blend multiple genres), but the game simply doesn't rate as well as the critics claimed (which is evident in the fact that, for once, the professional critics have a higher rating than the users). Expand
  49. Apr 10, 2011
    I have DOW 2 and DOW 2 Chaos Rising, will probably get Retribution sometime this year. This game is good. The stand alone campaign is interesting and replayable. What makes this game really good is the co-op game "The Last Stand" and you can co-op the campaign games too. It is worth getting all 3 games together at $60 on steam but you can buy the first 2 games for $20 each.
  50. Mar 11, 2011
    I think the best thing (in my eyes) of this game is the graphics. The graphics are a huge improvement over DOW I and any other RTS I've ever played (and I've played most of the major ones, SC2, Company of Heroes, Supreme Commander I and II, etc etc).
    That's the main good thing I liked. That and how the gameplay revolves more around combat rather than resource gathering. And, of course, the fact that it features the Imperium.

The thing that I didn't like about this game was that it had very small army sizes, and VERY small battles. This is a step down from DOW I, where you could actually command armies. In DOW II, you get a few squads, and that's it, you're stuck with them. No building squads, no calling in reinforcement squads, nothing. You choose four for each mission and you're stuck with them. This needs a serious fix in the next game.
    Second, the campaign is more of an RTS/RPG hybrid rather than a true RTS. You choose equipment for each character, and decide what each character brings. In regular RTS's, you don't get to do that, each squad has a specialty, and you know their abilities. So it's not a true RTS, but rather an RTS/RPG hybrid.

Hopefully the next game will be better.
  51. Feb 24, 2011
    I know I'm a little late coming, but I had to add my two cents. This game ruined the DoW franchise for me. The fact that I *HAVE* to be connected to steam(resource hog) and Microcrap live angers me. I'm a die hard skirmish map player, and the skirmish maps in this game are impossible. The population cap is ridiculous, leaving the player with too few troops to defend the strategic points.I know I'm a little late coming, but I had to add my two cents. This game ruined the DoW franchise for me. The fact that I *HAVE* to be connected to steam(resource hog) and Microcrap live angers me. I'm a die hard skirmish map player, and the skirmish maps in this game are impossible. The population cap is ridiculous, leaving the player with too few troops to defend the strategic points. The bases are TOO heavily armored and take years to destroy. Even in the Retribution Beta it took 4 leman russ tanks, 1 manticore, and 1 baneblade nearly 15 minutes to destroy the base. The campaign mode is..just anti-climatic, there's little or no strategy involved. What is the point of gathering up all this war gear if you just lose it at the end of the game? Why not have it unlock the gear for skirmishes? Of course that would require the skirmishes to actually be playable.
    I don't know HOW this game scored so highly, it's the worst version of the DoW franchise to date. I'll stick with Dark Crusade thanks. At least till they fix this pathetic game.
    About the only good thing I can say about this game is the graphics are decent..when they aren't too busy bogging down the computer.

This is not RTS. It does not 're-define' the RTS genre because it's not RTS. It may as well be turn-based. I think the only other time I've been SO disappointed in a game sequel was the pathetic excuse for a sequel to Deus Ex. Now THERE was a genre-bending, innovative game. But, like this game, the sequel was a pale shade of the original game. Don't pay more than $10 for anything involved with this game. It's worth ten bucks. Maybe...
  52. Feb 3, 2011
    I've seen PopCap browser games with more depth than Dawn of War 2. Not Strategic thinking needed here - this is pure point-and-shoot action with the added "Spice" if hitting your special abilities whenever the cooldown is up. Moving your units is not smooth, either, given that they attempt to stick to cover regardless of where you want them to go. Boring, insipid, and an insult to fans ofI've seen PopCap browser games with more depth than Dawn of War 2. Not Strategic thinking needed here - this is pure point-and-shoot action with the added "Spice" if hitting your special abilities whenever the cooldown is up. Moving your units is not smooth, either, given that they attempt to stick to cover regardless of where you want them to go. Boring, insipid, and an insult to fans of the original who opened their wallets for three expansions while waiting on this game. Expand
  53. Jan 2, 2011
    I never knew anything about the Warhammer Universe, until i picked up my copy of Dawn of War, several years ago and i was immediately engrossed. With great eagerness, i picked up this game the day it was released. EDITORS NOTE-All in all, i fear change so my review may be seriously biased but here it goes anyway.
    DOW 2, is a game that will please you and frustrate you at the same time.
    DOW 2, is a game that will please you and frustrate you at the same time. To me, it is just company of heroes meets DOW and that aspect bothered me a lot. It took me a while to get over that. Also, the fact that you have to have an internet connection, and you have to get windows live bothered me a lot too. Well, what if someone doesn't have an internet connection. I am sure there are some people out there who still do not. I am lucky enough to have that.
    For those of you who are huge DOW fans, you might be a tad dissapointed at what is going on in this game. For starters, there are no more base building. You have an galactic map which shows you all the planets that you can travel too. there are three of them in which you are to initiate warp travel to reach. You start out with yourself, the commander, and a tactical squad. Mind you, the squad consists of only 4 space marines. then, as you progress you get other squads, a devestator squad(heavy weapons, 3 space marines), a scout squad,(3) and an assault squad.(3). As for the assault squad well, what can i say about the assault squad? I have had it on missions and he is always usually the first to die. He kinda sucks in the first DOW 2. He gets better in Chaos rising.
    During missions, your squad earns xp, and upon leveling up you can unlock new powers for your squads to use, some of which are pretty bad ass. But it seems to me, you can only have one and not the other, as there is a level cap of 20, so choose the right path you want for your squads, as you will not be able to get those points back.
    Personally, i stuck with the same for guys more or less the same time, varying upon the different missions parameters, which aren't really that different at all. You are going to either attack or defend, and most defend missions, you will have a time limit to do so, in which if you miss it you have to wait for a later point to go resecure that sector and what was lost. At times, i also do feel very overwhelmed. I know space marines are all powerful to an extent, but sometimes it is just insane. I do believe before the first patch, the weapons were a bit different and did more damage, as i get confused, when a bolter says it only does 11.6 damage per second and my squad which does 9 damage, goes down. I thought higher damage was better, call me crazy. Which includes power weapons. Most power weapons, which although do more damage then a chainsword, do not actually do as much damage on the field, due to their attack speed i am guessing?
    anyway, all set aside i have fallen asleep during the single player. The same type of missions do tend to get a tad mundane and repetitive, and sometimes the war gear rewards aren't even worth doing it in the first place. But it is a decent campaign.
    The multiplayer is pretty engrossing, but once again highly modeled upon the COH engine, with holding of victory points, and anniahalte. No base building, so dont even think about that. It is definitely a far cry from the DOW.
    the army painter i was dissapointed in as well, as it seems to me there is less detail you can do from the first one.
    the last stand? I don't even know what to say about that. It's as if someone said, no no, we want the game to be harder so they did. It gets repetitive. The leveling up takes too long. DONT EVER PRESTIGE BECAUSE IT SUCKS AND YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING AND GET SOME CRAPPY REWARD.
    do i reccommend it? if you're new to DOW yeah, you can go in this with a clear head. If you are into DOW? Sure, just be prepared to be let down a bit. Thanks
  54. Dec 4, 2010
    This along with Company of Heroes are my most favourite current RTS. The reason for this is the way the game plays. Rather than matches being about unit spam (unless you're playing Orks or Tyranids, where it's partly about unit spam), it's more about tactics and unit placement. My real problem with the game is how hard it is. I can't speak for everyone as I'm naturally bad at RTS games,This along with Company of Heroes are my most favourite current RTS. The reason for this is the way the game plays. Rather than matches being about unit spam (unless you're playing Orks or Tyranids, where it's partly about unit spam), it's more about tactics and unit placement. My real problem with the game is how hard it is. I can't speak for everyone as I'm naturally bad at RTS games, but I do believe that there has been a problem with this game for not just me, but a majority of people who try to play online and usually end up fighting against people 10x better than themselves. This causes a lot of new players to be put off meaning that other new players don't get a chance to fight against equally skilled people. I suppose it really just takes perseverance but it's still tough.
    The graphics of the game are absolutely lovely, definitely best out there, on par with, if not better than Starcraft 2's graphics.

For originality of gameplay how ever, this game is basically Company of Heroes, set in WH40k, and a smaller viewing angle with a closer in camera.
  55. Nov 25, 2010
    Beautiful campaign mode. Great voice acting. Great action. Wonderful ability to outfit your team and unit selection. nice graphics.
    A Rare game that is nearly perfect as far as a role play campaign is concerned.
    2 thumbs up!
  56. Oct 26, 2010
    Relic has been pushing innovation in the RTS genre that was dominated in the early 90's by the powerhouses of Westwood Studios and Blizzard. While Westwood was absorbed into EA and Blizzard switched their focus towards the MMO market, this developer has quietly pushed release after release in the RTS market starting with the wonderful Homeworld series. If you like "traditional" style ofRelic has been pushing innovation in the RTS genre that was dominated in the early 90's by the powerhouses of Westwood Studios and Blizzard. While Westwood was absorbed into EA and Blizzard switched their focus towards the MMO market, this developer has quietly pushed release after release in the RTS market starting with the wonderful Homeworld series. If you like "traditional" style of RTS found in Starcraft and C&C this might not be your game. Single player it plays like an RTS with elements of an RPG with experience pts, skills, and item drops. This is not a game where who has the highest APM but using good tactics that utilize the strength of your squads. Charging into battle will only get you killed. This puts the strategy into RTS, not simply following the same build order in SCII for the first 10 minutes over and over again. Expand
  57. Oct 4, 2010
    Dawn of War II is an excellent game in its own right. However, it is easy to understand how fans of the first game feel slightly wronged after having played it. It is very different compared to the first game, perhaps too much so for it to be called a direct sequel. But if you only look at it as a game it is still quite a great one.

The visuals are very nice and the gameplay is fluid and

The visuals are very nice and the gameplay is fluid and fun. Dawn of War keeps setting the standard for visceral combat in the RTS genre.
  58. Sep 16, 2010
    Pluses: Graphics, story maybe, and BEING UR OWN SPACE MARINE COMMANDER!...sort of. Though to actually see damage taken to units her compared to 40k DC. The different voices where a thumbs up. The equipment feature was really cool. I still like DC the best tho. Still have to try this out ONLINE. AND WHERE THE HELL HAS MY LANDRAIDER GONE! I really expected more units here! maybe even aPluses: Graphics, story maybe, and BEING UR OWN SPACE MARINE COMMANDER!...sort of. Though to actually see damage taken to units her compared to 40k DC. The different voices where a thumbs up. The equipment feature was really cool. I still like DC the best tho. Still have to try this out ONLINE. AND WHERE THE HELL HAS MY LANDRAIDER GONE! I really expected more units here! maybe even a titan...maybe its too early 4 that :? too little units is the minus. Game is OVERPRICED! These these guys i tell u... sell expansion after expansion with like one or two new races, same feel campaign and a new box cover u love. more cud have bin done here. 7/10 Expand
  59. OliverH.
    Jan 25, 2010
    So many multiplayer options, fantastic campaign mode with so many unlockable items and highly strategic : ) Awesome
  60. JamesW
    Jan 22, 2010
    Due to the overwhelming positive review and the good experience from the first Dawn of War, I bought this game without much hesitance. After having tried the single player and multiplayer mode, I am hugely disappointed. Frist of, the single player campaign is boring. It is the first time in my life that I fell a sleep while playing an RTS (literally). All you do is just looking at your Due to the overwhelming positive review and the good experience from the first Dawn of War, I bought this game without much hesitance. After having tried the single player and multiplayer mode, I am hugely disappointed. Frist of, the single player campaign is boring. It is the first time in my life that I fell a sleep while playing an RTS (literally). All you do is just looking at your same tiny Squad, moving them around the map, setup a good position, let them do automatic shooting, heal, then occasionally use their special ability, and repeat that throughout the game. Multiplayer is almost unplayable. Most of the time the match will be disconnected due to somebody's slow internet or computer. However, the new mode, The Last Stand, was pretty fun to play once in a while. I really try to like Dawn of War II, I have install and uninstall the game more than 4 times, but every time I started playing, it bores me. It is great that Relic try new approach on DOW2, but it lost a lot of the charm from the first game while doing so. Expand
  61. AlexandreM
    Jan 20, 2010
    Even without building elements this game is awsome!! All the battlesare really intense. If u like RTS, check it out
  62. RamoneB
    Jan 18, 2010
    How can you build your Army when the Computer is at full strenght and attacking you before you get to your first power supply?
  63. JeremyJ
    Jan 12, 2010
    Imtro video 10,game 0. It's a crap.The original Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War is far better.
  64. AndrewM
    Jan 10, 2010
    Good quality campaign mode, it was accurate to how space marines would do things, not giant assaults out of nowhere. However, I was appalled at the lack of detail in multiplayer and single player scenarios. All the races were almost exaclty the same as the ones next to it and the playstyle was far from how they are supposed to be played, orks dont use tactics, they rely on numbers as do Good quality campaign mode, it was accurate to how space marines would do things, not giant assaults out of nowhere. However, I was appalled at the lack of detail in multiplayer and single player scenarios. All the races were almost exaclty the same as the ones next to it and the playstyle was far from how they are supposed to be played, orks dont use tactics, they rely on numbers as do tyranids (although they probably use more than orks). Furthermore being forced to get a windows live account to play the game is a huge waste of time if you will almost never use it. Expand
  65. flyntj
    Jan 6, 2010
    pretty fun like the multiplayer stuff and survival mode, main quest is fun though a little boring after a while
  66. Peterw
    Jan 5, 2010
    I love that game! I think it is like 1000 times better than the old one where you just built a huge amount of units and charged towards the enemy. Each unit got a purpose and you dont embarass yourselves with tons of upgrades, buildings ad workers and all that stuff. I personnaly have a 9000 points chaos army, i saw lots of other units that they coud have included, but then it would have I love that game! I think it is like 1000 times better than the old one where you just built a huge amount of units and charged towards the enemy. Each unit got a purpose and you dont embarass yourselves with tons of upgrades, buildings ad workers and all that stuff. I personnaly have a 9000 points chaos army, i saw lots of other units that they coud have included, but then it would have been another crappy game like soulstorm!!! Expand
  67. JonH
    Jan 3, 2010
    This game is amzing it conects with the table top RTS it's based on to the letter I can't wait for the expansions.
  68. kajemby
    Jan 2, 2010
    Maybe Pratoe M should get a new system. But then do we really want to be playing this excellent game with a racist? I think not.
  69. Eve860Eve860
    Dec 31, 2009
    Guys this is without doubt the best RTS i've ever played, it's a bit demanding on the graphics cards but the effect is fabulous!!! I've had the game ever since Beta, and it still remains to be my utter favourite game ever!!! The competition is so tough i'd advise any would be buyers to buy now and train for the release of Chaos in March, it's so in the bag for me Guys this is without doubt the best RTS i've ever played, it's a bit demanding on the graphics cards but the effect is fabulous!!! I've had the game ever since Beta, and it still remains to be my utter favourite game ever!!! The competition is so tough i'd advise any would be buyers to buy now and train for the release of Chaos in March, it's so in the bag for me personally!!! well done Warhammer and co. Starcraft II really has had to be remade cos I bet they knew they'd have a flunk on their hands compared to this masterpiece! Buy buy and die people! muahahaha! Expand
  70. Habuki
    Dec 30, 2009
    CD keys provided from manufacturer don't even work on live. Some kinda voodoo trick to get the game to work. So far, looks nice as a huge screensaver. No product support from relic, steam, microsoft, or THQ. Their suggested fix "buy another game"
  71. isaccos
    Dec 24, 2009
    the best game ever, if u wanna challenge your intelligence try to win multiplayer games against the rest of the world gamers... try if u think to be sooo good and accept the DEFEAT!
  72. Kilchain616
    Dec 21, 2009
    Wtf is wrong with relic?i tried to like this game but i'm very fed up with a number of issues, mainly the lag and multiplayer auto match.no matter what setting i had i was getting lag and stuck with players with ts 1 (like a dumbass i played this pile of shit til i got to ts 55) the screwed the tyranids so hard that i couldnt win a single match after the so called balancing update.i Wtf is wrong with relic?i tried to like this game but i'm very fed up with a number of issues, mainly the lag and multiplayer auto match.no matter what setting i had i was getting lag and stuck with players with ts 1 (like a dumbass i played this pile of shit til i got to ts 55) the screwed the tyranids so hard that i couldnt win a single match after the so called balancing update.i guarantee if you were to go online now ppl are playing last stand and not the multiplayer side.the game has army preferences like sm over all the others and then the eldar come and blast everything and dont get me started on the warlock.i preferred the game play of soulstorm and dark crusade over this joke.Pratoe M instead of punching a wall and killing large numbers of black ppl you should punch the white designers of this game and knock off their staff.until they fix this crap they can keep it. a big fuck you to relic. Expand
  73. JohnL
    Dec 13, 2009
    Rated 7 because of the effort in creating the game. But really, how disappointing! Anyone who has experienced the original 40K would almost certainly want that model back, along with the enhanced gfx and sound of this version. I
  74. PratoeM
    Dec 11, 2009
    Horrible multiplayer quality- the stupid thing continually puts you together with people that lag so bad it's ridiculous and who can't play worth a CRAP. Whoever programmed the multiplayer should be SHOT DEAD. It's so pathetic I feel like punching a wall and then killing large numbers of black people.
  75. DanielS
    Dec 4, 2009
    I personally love Dawn of War 2. The campaign might lack of gameplay but i think that the multiplayer option is fantastic, instead of having tons of buildings with tons of units that dosn't have any special purpose like in dawn of war 2. Dawn of War 2 might not have as many units as in Dawn of War but they all got a purpose.
  76. BrianN
    Nov 29, 2009
    While the game seems awsome in its look and delivers in content, it has so many bugs and crashes that its not really worth buying because you cant really play it without constant crash interruptions.
  77. Artery22
    Nov 28, 2009
    Very good game! The campaign grants many action, but the after some time, the story gone away! And the final Mission isn't very special... The multiplyerpart is good, you can play every 4 races! No base-building only action, thats what i want. And with the last update, there is a new Gamemode "The Last Stand", I played it many hours and I continue to play it many hours =)! It's Very good game! The campaign grants many action, but the after some time, the story gone away! And the final Mission isn't very special... The multiplyerpart is good, you can play every 4 races! No base-building only action, thats what i want. And with the last update, there is a new Gamemode "The Last Stand", I played it many hours and I continue to play it many hours =)! It's a big fun, but some items are unusefull and dump! Expand
  78. RupertL
    Nov 21, 2009
    Good Graphics, useless game play. Seemed like a last minute effort to copy the CoH squad system, which failed miserably. Particularly annoying since the first was so good.
  79. StiabhD.
    Nov 17, 2009
    Hugely disappointing. Firstly, I resent having to be online to install and activate a game I intend to play offline. Secondly, Windows Live is a total copout on the part of Relic. Thirdly, this game is based on Company Of Heroes. You can call it 'inspired by' that game but I say it's nothing more than a derivative copy of that (better) game's mechanics. Fourthly, Where Hugely disappointing. Firstly, I resent having to be online to install and activate a game I intend to play offline. Secondly, Windows Live is a total copout on the part of Relic. Thirdly, this game is based on Company Of Heroes. You can call it 'inspired by' that game but I say it's nothing more than a derivative copy of that (better) game's mechanics. Fourthly, Where Are The Troops??? Where are the other five types of Eldar Aspect warrior and why so many damn limits on squad size? I want hordes of Orks. Not just a posse. Hordes! If Relic are expecting us to queue up meekly and pay for new troop types with each expansion (as happened with DoW) they can guess again. Fifthly, where's my control? I want total control over placement of defensive guns, support structures, resource structures, everything. Instead I'm playing battles against an annoying mapmaker. Lastly, this is NOT Warhammer 40K. Like Dawn of War, it's just a bog standard wargame using Games Workshop's (un)original IP. Why do so many reviewers fail to see that while they're drooling over the pretty graphics and 'splosions. Expand
  80. IgorT
    Nov 15, 2009
    Well, compared to DoW I, of course graphics, sounds and physics are better. But it isn't Dawn of War anymore. This is something between RTS and B-class hack'n'slash. Less units, less maps, smaller maps, no place for battles. Campaign is just a bunch of missions like "get through all bad-guys on the map and then kill their boss" or "defend some point" just few were a bit non Well, compared to DoW I, of course graphics, sounds and physics are better. But it isn't Dawn of War anymore. This is something between RTS and B-class hack'n'slash. Less units, less maps, smaller maps, no place for battles. Campaign is just a bunch of missions like "get through all bad-guys on the map and then kill their boss" or "defend some point" just few were a bit non linear, but even these were predictable. Expand
  81. thedrizzle
    Nov 11, 2009
    Online play is pathetic- matchups include obvious laggers and cheaters when all they have to do is filter by ping- but you will consistently get people that lag like hell - sometimes an entire team of laggers- the people that programmed this are morons- its so simple to calculate whether a game will lag before it starts.. but they don't bother to let you filter by ping.
  82. JakobR
    Nov 11, 2009
    Relic has really improved this game since they made the first dawn of war. They have added a much more tactical based game, which brings the players right into the action. The multi player has some really nice features, such as the cover which were also seen in the first dawn of war, and the newly added thing, with no base building. This really brings players much more into the action and Relic has really improved this game since they made the first dawn of war. They have added a much more tactical based game, which brings the players right into the action. The multi player has some really nice features, such as the cover which were also seen in the first dawn of war, and the newly added thing, with no base building. This really brings players much more into the action and make them enjoy the game more. The single player campaign is impressive. It is probably the closest an RTS game has ever been to make you feel like you are there! The graphics has been greatly improved since dawn of war 1, and the sounds is really good, but the game is not only great. After some time it does get boring, i dropped it after a month myself, but i guess some people like it better. The game is probably more for warhammer fans, and people which really like the tactical aspects of a game, but for the more general RTS players, it might get boring after a while, and they want to get back to the more usual RTS style of gameplay. Expand
  83. JohnM
    Nov 3, 2009
    Completely unplayable. Unless you have a powerful computer dont bother buying this game. Besides the extremely annoying and frequent hiccups and slowdowns (often resulting in a total system freeze) the multiplayer aspect of this game is a huge nightmare. First of all the lag from someone else's connection also affects your own experience, so 90% of the game result in an agonising Completely unplayable. Unless you have a powerful computer dont bother buying this game. Besides the extremely annoying and frequent hiccups and slowdowns (often resulting in a total system freeze) the multiplayer aspect of this game is a huge nightmare. First of all the lag from someone else's connection also affects your own experience, so 90% of the game result in an agonising slowmotion followed by a, "player has disconnected" message. Then there is the issue of game balance ... There is none at all ! Just pick the flavor of the month unit, spam it and obliterate your oponents. Completely lame and boring. Stay away from this game as if it were an infectuous disease !!!! Expand
  84. NoMadM
    Nov 1, 2009
    The greatest Game of Warhammer 40.000 I ever Played! It's a very well mixture of RPG and Strategy. I play Warhammer since 1999 and could say it was the best Game...most realistik one...I know! It has devenetf dhe Flair of the Warhammer 40.000 Galexy. WELL DONE, RELIK! And, "For the Emperor!"
  85. SeanB
    Oct 26, 2009
    Cool graphics and the army painter is definitely much more capable of creating various armies, but many player favorite factions were left out which was an extreme dissapointment. Each mission was extremely repetative, and halfway through the game, I felt as though I had already beaten it. The same tactics can be used over and over again, and the only challenge the game brings is keeping Cool graphics and the army painter is definitely much more capable of creating various armies, but many player favorite factions were left out which was an extreme dissapointment. Each mission was extremely repetative, and halfway through the game, I felt as though I had already beaten it. The same tactics can be used over and over again, and the only challenge the game brings is keeping you interested in it. Expand
  86. Ben
    Oct 24, 2009
    This is a good game, but the story ends too quick in my opinion.
  87. AaronLane
    Oct 22, 2009
    Just what I needed. More games like this! Warhammer 40,000 is an incredible universe with plenty of game-worthy ground to explore.
  88. SPARTANVI
    Oct 20, 2009
    Dawn of War II feels like Company of Heroes and StarCraft smushed together and it is a wonderful marriage. I haven't had so much fun PC gaming since... Company of Heroes. You rock Relic!
  89. HeinL
    Oct 18, 2009
    Really disappointing, the missions are boring, the character management part isn't exciting either. the mission goals are always the same, you will kill the same and same troops over again, with the same tactic till you reach a kind of miniboss, which has some special abilities, like AOE dmg or a charge. I rated this game with 7, because it's a mediorce game, with an uncreative Really disappointing, the missions are boring, the character management part isn't exciting either. the mission goals are always the same, you will kill the same and same troops over again, with the same tactic till you reach a kind of miniboss, which has some special abilities, like AOE dmg or a charge. I rated this game with 7, because it's a mediorce game, with an uncreative story, but the first hours are fun. Expand
  90. JustinA
    Oct 16, 2009
    They took it all away! If you played Company of heroes from the original then you dam well know they took away the massive tank battles in COH (2 tigers 2 pershings and where the heck is the 2 jags anyway?) ... when they moved on to OF. Same with this game. there are no longer those massive build and smash battles its a more integrated take care of these uber squad game. Yes i feel they They took it all away! If you played Company of heroes from the original then you dam well know they took away the massive tank battles in COH (2 tigers 2 pershings and where the heck is the 2 jags anyway?) ... when they moved on to OF. Same with this game. there are no longer those massive build and smash battles its a more integrated take care of these uber squad game. Yes i feel they should have put MORE into the campaign.. even though watching the ship jump thru the warp is pretty it still seems a bit lacking compared to the last 4 frakkin games, letting you command and attack the enemy with the little bot armys smashing your rears. However i feel there on to something and this game does not dissapoint... this was not meant to be a starcraft 2 clone.. and i feel they have done an excellent job of proving that. ALSO if you know ANYTHING about Relic is that they are ADDING more and MORE into this game 4 expansions of the last game lemme spell it out for you M-O-R-E is on the way. And that my friends could change anything my little fanboys. Expand
  91. AronRoy
    Oct 4, 2009
    More diversity is in need for the music and the maps. The game music range from DoW 1 was quite excellent and more diverse in its subjects. Otherwise an excellent game. AND there is a bug with the Heavy Autocannon from the dreadnought, sometimes it doesn*t fire, but the ability is realoading without any enemies having recieved fire, quitre annyoing..
  92. RayE
    Sep 18, 2009
    THQ have done well at improving the game, IF you are a tactic person that like to use the posibilities of every squad/unit andwhat the environment offer you... The lowered amount of unit makes it even better to use tactics, if you play online without any tactics you will be defeated, I think many people was dissapointed on the game because it was so much easier to play dow than dow 2 THQ have done well at improving the game, IF you are a tactic person that like to use the posibilities of every squad/unit andwhat the environment offer you... The lowered amount of unit makes it even better to use tactics, if you play online without any tactics you will be defeated, I think many people was dissapointed on the game because it was so much easier to play dow than dow 2 because of the easy to use squads and high amount of units that have been changed at dow 2 but in my opinion it was a great improvment. And I will keep playing the game until the next generation warhammer game releases. This is and will be one of the most important title of the Dawn of War(DOW) series. Expand
  93. STeveSteve
    Sep 17, 2009
    The over hyped campaign was lame. The biggest screwup was creating a dump mp. There is nothing inherently wrong with no base building. The flaw is that the MP is treated like its a base building game which totally ruined the game.
  94. EliJ.
    Sep 16, 2009
    Probably the best tactical gaming experience ever. I loved company of hero's and I really cant say this game is better than it...but i would much rather see my venerable dreadnought's assault cannon literally blow my enemy into little pieces than order around little army men. The cover system is solid and I love the fact that they actually made the space marines as powerful as Probably the best tactical gaming experience ever. I loved company of hero's and I really cant say this game is better than it...but i would much rather see my venerable dreadnought's assault cannon literally blow my enemy into little pieces than order around little army men. The cover system is solid and I love the fact that they actually made the space marines as powerful as the praise they give them. When I'm ordering my marines around i know that I'm in command of the dominate force in the Warhammer 40k's universe. Anybody who doesn't like this game probably never gave it a chance. They most likely played a few missions and thought to themselves, why it isn't this the old game with better graphics? Play it for a few weeks and you'll see how amazing it really is. Too be honest, I didn't like it at first either...but then I found out that strategy and tactics can be a lot more fun than mindlessly smashing two armies into each other. Eagerly awaiting the expansion. Expand
  95. alantrowbridge
    Sep 12, 2009
    wow i waisted my money. The game requires you to sign up for too many things for starters. As well, one of those programs you have to have running keeps a popup with your cd key right over top of unit and unit information. If your looking for what you saw in the original dawn of wars, quick fun, lots of choices in races for campains, and the such, do not buy this game. As well, youwow i waisted my money. The game requires you to sign up for too many things for starters. As well, one of those programs you have to have running keeps a popup with your cd key right over top of unit and unit information. If your looking for what you saw in the original dawn of wars, quick fun, lots of choices in races for campains, and the such, do not buy this game. As well, you have to be logged in while playing it. no more offline campaining. The campain part of this game really is disapointing, and im very pissed by it. Expand
  96. AlexM
    Sep 11, 2009
    RTS/Tactical Masterpiece. 4 squad. 4 time more epic than the original DOW. Seriously. The battles are far beyond epicness and the action is nothing short of amazing! The music, the sound, the graphic, the gestion of items, etc... Warhammer 40K deserved that!!! 9 out of 10, and not 10 because i'm aware that not including the Chaos in the plot is a shame for the W40K's fans. (I RTS/Tactical Masterpiece. 4 squad. 4 time more epic than the original DOW. Seriously. The battles are far beyond epicness and the action is nothing short of amazing! The music, the sound, the graphic, the gestion of items, etc... Warhammer 40K deserved that!!! 9 out of 10, and not 10 because i'm aware that not including the Chaos in the plot is a shame for the W40K's fans. (I don't give a shit about chaos, but still, it's an important part of the W40K) Anyway, i'm almost happy that Relic didn't put them in the story (They look so... has been...) Orks are there! More funny than ever! SO who cares!!?? Expand
  97. FrankL
    Sep 9, 2009
    Major disappointment. I awaited this title with much anticipation. I have been a Games Workshop enthusiast for 18 years and am a great fan of the first Dawn of War. First, before I go into how much of a waste this game is... I would like to say I really liked the Tyranids. The makers totally screwed this game up. Everything you loved about the first Dawn of War has been removed. Their is Major disappointment. I awaited this title with much anticipation. I have been a Games Workshop enthusiast for 18 years and am a great fan of the first Dawn of War. First, before I go into how much of a waste this game is... I would like to say I really liked the Tyranids. The makers totally screwed this game up. Everything you loved about the first Dawn of War has been removed. Their is no longer a feeling of large battles. The multiplayer aspect of the game is so bland that makes you want to shoot yourself in the head. You cant shake the feeling that this game is under cooked. All your strategic options have vanished and to make things worse the maps are much smaller than the original. Space Marines with 3 man squads made me want to shove this game up the programmers rear end. How can you fail at making a game with the War Hammer 40k title behind it? These people did. Expand
  98. CE
    Sep 3, 2009
    While this game is undoubtedly an RTS it plays different than your regular RTS. It is squad based as opposed to base based; that is the construction of bases and such. In DoW2 you are basically given a main base, a hero unit, and a basic infantry squad. What you do after that is up to you. The combat is pretty energizing and never boring. The only problem is how difficult to obtain While this game is undoubtedly an RTS it plays different than your regular RTS. It is squad based as opposed to base based; that is the construction of bases and such. In DoW2 you are basically given a main base, a hero unit, and a basic infantry squad. What you do after that is up to you. The combat is pretty energizing and never boring. The only problem is how difficult to obtain resources it can be. Sometimes there can be large breaks in the action due to either waiting for resources or for units to build. The other problem is that with so many units you tend to lose track of all your squads and thus you may lose them easily. Other than that though, the game is quite solid. Expand
  99. ChrisT.
    Aug 14, 2009
    I downloaded this game off a torrent site and I completely loved every minute of it. The mix of RPG and RTS is so addicting--all I could think about for 2 weeks was leveling my characters and getting them the best items (especially the coveted terminator armor which, unfortunately, they only got to use for about 2 days). I can only speak for the campaign since I don't have a CD key I downloaded this game off a torrent site and I completely loved every minute of it. The mix of RPG and RTS is so addicting--all I could think about for 2 weeks was leveling my characters and getting them the best items (especially the coveted terminator armor which, unfortunately, they only got to use for about 2 days). I can only speak for the campaign since I don't have a CD key to play online, but I'm almost tempted to purchase one to play online. I only played the normal difficulty thus far and it was challenging enough but I'm considering replaying on the hardest difficulty now that I have a better understanding of the strategy needed for this type of RTS (small # of units, no base, exploiting cover, etc.). If you played Warcraft and Starcraft, this is a breath of fresh air. Not all people will like this, mostly hardcore base building fanatics, but it's definitely worth playing for free. On top of the great gameplay, there is stunning graphic and battle effects and honestly, some of the best mini-movies I've seen in games in awhile. 9/10 from this satisfied gamer. Give it a try--you might find yourself up until 'dawn' playing this game more than once. Expand
  100. ElliottFairclough
    Aug 12, 2009
    Absolutely brilliant! Superb game that mixes both an exhilirating RPG style campaign storyline, which allows you to play against numerous enemies, but is somewhat repetitive, with the action-packed multiplayer that seems as if you can't get enough of it. It's like a drug (well sort of)! However, some aspects do need variation and improvements that would make the game better.Absolutely brilliant! Superb game that mixes both an exhilirating RPG style campaign storyline, which allows you to play against numerous enemies, but is somewhat repetitive, with the action-packed multiplayer that seems as if you can't get enough of it. It's like a drug (well sort of)! However, some aspects do need variation and improvements that would make the game better. Despite this i still give a well earned 9 out of 10. Good job Relic! Expand

The single-player mash-up of RTS and RPG elements works really well, and the multiplayer is fast and exciting. Relic's reinvention of the Dawn of War brand is a breath of fresh (or possibly fetid, Tyranid infested) air.
  2. Dawn of War II is a highly innovative twist on the usual RTS formula that dares to think outside the box while staying true to the WH40k source material. Campaign co-op play is a great addition to the already superb single player game but the head-to-head multiplayer skirmish is a bit of a disappointment.
  3. Dawn of War was a finely tuned game with huge battles and many disposable troops. Dawn of War II is faster, lighter, smaller, in some ways more interesting and in other ways somewhat lacking in its execution. But taken as a whole it’s impossible to not recommend the game to 40K fans and to those who are willing to accept that this is not a linear sequel to an aging franchise.