Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II PC

• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Feb 18, 2009
8.1

1. Jul 28, 2012
    Okay, I'll be honest with you. At first, having tried the demo and a taste of what DoW2 has to offer, I was sorely disappointed by the drastic change from the gameplay of the original game. HOWEVER, I still decided to give it a shot and I'm so glad that I did. The game plays differently, (there's no building, and more about squad abilities and tactics) but this is by no means bad. TheOkay, I'll be honest with you. At first, having tried the demo and a taste of what DoW2 has to offer, I was sorely disappointed by the drastic change from the gameplay of the original game. HOWEVER, I still decided to give it a shot and I'm so glad that I did. The game plays differently, (there's no building, and more about squad abilities and tactics) but this is by no means bad. The campaign is quite engaging and you're given a number of varied squads to improve and upgrade throughout the game, and that is by far my favourite part. There is choice involved in missions, outfitting and strategy, making an overall flamboyant single player campaign. The co-op is just as sweet. But wait there's more. The cream of the crop is the multiplayer and The Last Stand where you take on hordes of monsters with 2 other heroes. Great additions all way round. Long story short, yes it is a massive departure from DoW1's style but it is fortunately just as good in its own right. I certainly have respect for the devs for changing things up and trying out something new, and I'm glad that they've still kept the strength of this series and its ability to constantly impress me. Expand
  2. Dec 4, 2010
    This along with Company of Heroes are my most favourite current RTS. The reason for this is the way the game plays. Rather than matches being about unit spam (unless you're playing Orks or Tyranids, where it's partly about unit spam), it's more about tactics and unit placement. My real problem with the game is how hard it is. I can't speak for everyone as I'm naturally bad at RTS games,This along with Company of Heroes are my most favourite current RTS. The reason for this is the way the game plays. Rather than matches being about unit spam (unless you're playing Orks or Tyranids, where it's partly about unit spam), it's more about tactics and unit placement. My real problem with the game is how hard it is. I can't speak for everyone as I'm naturally bad at RTS games, but I do believe that there has been a problem with this game for not just me, but a majority of people who try to play online and usually end up fighting against people 10x better than themselves. This causes a lot of new players to be put off meaning that other new players don't get a chance to fight against equally skilled people. I suppose it really just takes perseverance but it's still tough.
    The graphics of the game are absolutely lovely, definitely best out there, on par with, if not better than Starcraft 2's graphics.

For originality of gameplay how ever, this game is basically Company of Heroes, set in WH40k, and a smaller viewing angle with a closer in camera.
  3. Jan 2, 2011
    I never knew anything about the Warhammer Universe, until i picked up my copy of Dawn of War, several years ago and i was immediately engrossed. With great eagerness, i picked up this game the day it was released. EDITORS NOTE-All in all, i fear change so my review may be seriously biased but here it goes anyway.
    DOW 2, is a game that will please you and frustrate you at the same time.
    DOW 2, is a game that will please you and frustrate you at the same time. To me, it is just company of heroes meets DOW and that aspect bothered me a lot. It took me a while to get over that. Also, the fact that you have to have an internet connection, and you have to get windows live bothered me a lot too. Well, what if someone doesn't have an internet connection. I am sure there are some people out there who still do not. I am lucky enough to have that.
    For those of you who are huge DOW fans, you might be a tad dissapointed at what is going on in this game. For starters, there are no more base building. You have an galactic map which shows you all the planets that you can travel too. there are three of them in which you are to initiate warp travel to reach. You start out with yourself, the commander, and a tactical squad. Mind you, the squad consists of only 4 space marines. then, as you progress you get other squads, a devestator squad(heavy weapons, 3 space marines), a scout squad,(3) and an assault squad.(3). As for the assault squad well, what can i say about the assault squad? I have had it on missions and he is always usually the first to die. He kinda sucks in the first DOW 2. He gets better in Chaos rising.
    During missions, your squad earns xp, and upon leveling up you can unlock new powers for your squads to use, some of which are pretty bad ass. But it seems to me, you can only have one and not the other, as there is a level cap of 20, so choose the right path you want for your squads, as you will not be able to get those points back.
    Personally, i stuck with the same for guys more or less the same time, varying upon the different missions parameters, which aren't really that different at all. You are going to either attack or defend, and most defend missions, you will have a time limit to do so, in which if you miss it you have to wait for a later point to go resecure that sector and what was lost. At times, i also do feel very overwhelmed. I know space marines are all powerful to an extent, but sometimes it is just insane. I do believe before the first patch, the weapons were a bit different and did more damage, as i get confused, when a bolter says it only does 11.6 damage per second and my squad which does 9 damage, goes down. I thought higher damage was better, call me crazy. Which includes power weapons. Most power weapons, which although do more damage then a chainsword, do not actually do as much damage on the field, due to their attack speed i am guessing?
    anyway, all set aside i have fallen asleep during the single player. The same type of missions do tend to get a tad mundane and repetitive, and sometimes the war gear rewards aren't even worth doing it in the first place. But it is a decent campaign.
    The multiplayer is pretty engrossing, but once again highly modeled upon the COH engine, with holding of victory points, and anniahalte. No base building, so dont even think about that. It is definitely a far cry from the DOW.
    the army painter i was dissapointed in as well, as it seems to me there is less detail you can do from the first one.
    the last stand? I don't even know what to say about that. It's as if someone said, no no, we want the game to be harder so they did. It gets repetitive. The leveling up takes too long. DONT EVER PRESTIGE BECAUSE IT SUCKS AND YOU WILL LOSE EVERYTHING AND GET SOME CRAPPY REWARD.
    do i reccommend it? if you're new to DOW yeah, you can go in this with a clear head. If you are into DOW? Sure, just be prepared to be let down a bit. Thanks
  4. Apr 10, 2011
    I have DOW 2 and DOW 2 Chaos Rising, will probably get Retribution sometime this year. This game is good. The stand alone campaign is interesting and replayable. What makes this game really good is the co-op game "The Last Stand" and you can co-op the campaign games too. It is worth getting all 3 games together at $60 on steam but you can buy the first 2 games for $20 each.
  5. Nov 3, 2011
    Singleplayer was great, although filled with cheese. No room for character development with space marines, but I guess that's how they were created. Once the tryanids came in, you did see some repeating missions, but they were avoidable for the most part. Great strategic gameplay, and I loved the loot and the abilities (SO! MUCH! LOOT!!!!).

The multiplayer modes seem well balanced,

The multiplayer modes seem well balanced, although I haven't touched them enough to give a rock-solid review on them. Last Stand is incredibly fun, constantly having me come up with new and interesting ways to slaughter hordes of enemies (although there's some loadouts that are clearly better).

Some may not like the squad based gameplay, and I was a little confused with it at first, but it grows on you. Instead of most RTSs where individual units are usually expendable, keeping units alive in this game is crucial (multiplayer). As long as one squad member survives, you can replenish the squad, so their upgrades and levels don't go to waste. The entire squad gets gibbed, you lose their vital experience. That's not to say that you can't beat higher level enemies, but it's certainly harder.
  6. Jul 12, 2011
    I'm a longtime fan of Warhammer 40,000 tabletop game. Dawn of War gave me the flair i loved of the stories from that game on my computer. And seeing the models I've painted for years coming to life on my screen was a thrill. Now dawn of war II comes out and I was excited to buy it.

I wish on the cover it would have said tactical RPG, because there is no resource management at all in the campaign. Go here, blow this up, go there blow that up. Use some abilities, mission ends. It is fun, but it is not a real time strategy. it's a fun game in it's own right, if you want more tactical play, get Company of Heroes or the original Dawn of War game with expansions.
  7. Oct 23, 2011
    I love the graphics,the Characters,the weapons,the costumization hero,I'm not so impress with multiplayer mode but it's not bad.I don't really like about the design each mission of the campaign,they're al just the same activities= Explore,find the foundry or the what they call commlink or something,kill the ORKS then find the boss on the top of the map,get the wargear.it's kind of boringI love the graphics,the Characters,the weapons,the costumization hero,I'm not so impress with multiplayer mode but it's not bad.I don't really like about the design each mission of the campaign,they're al just the same activities= Explore,find the foundry or the what they call commlink or something,kill the ORKS then find the boss on the top of the map,get the wargear.it's kind of boring activity to me...however I still love the fantasy of the Warhammer 40K universe Expand
  8. Nov 14, 2012
    How's every body doing, for my first review I decided to do one of my favorite games. Having played all of the previous Dawn of War games I had pretty high expectations for this one, especially with all the epic fails that all the expansions for the previous dawn of war ended up being.

Just to start I'll go into the single player campaign. The game mechanics are very similar to the first Dawn of war, which were fairly easy to pickup within the first mission or two. It became very obvious to me from the beginning that the guys at THQ have actually started to listen to some of the fan base of the original game. They have implemented and in depth story line that does the books justice but still allowed for some choice on how to develop your characters, and how you proceed along the liner story line. "You must remember while playing the game that yes, the game play is important but they are trying to tell a story as well." The cover concept was add back into the game, well maybe that's a bad way to put it. A better way to put it is that they made cover important again, basically there is no more mad rush tactics that were so common in the previous expansions. Basically the campaign it's self is pretty solid all around, keeping you interested right till the end.

The RPG element of the game, they have made vast improvements in this compared to it's predecessor. Now I'm not saying that it is anything new that we haven't seen in other games, but it works, it's simple and it keeps your focus where it should be... on the Mission map. Simply there is two RPG elements common to all RPG games leveling your characters and they're load out of equipment. The equipment load out is pretty simple you'll figure it out for your self. The leveling of your character can be a little trickier, you have to choose between being a jack of all trades or leveling up in very specific areas. This being said if you are not adaptable and can't move away from a certain play style your are not going to get much replay value out of DOW 2.

Multiplayer, sorry I can't really comment on this part of the game. This is mostly because, the very hard-line multiplayer focus of the previous DOW was what ruined the game for a lot of fans of the first game, so to be honest I really had no interest into delving into that part of the game.

In all I gave the game and 8 because THQ took and old game that people love and made it new again.
  9. Oct 4, 2010
    Dawn of War II is an excellent game in its own right. However, it is easy to understand how fans of the first game feel slightly wronged after having played it. It is very different compared to the first game, perhaps too much so for it to be called a direct sequel. But if you only look at it as a game it is still quite a great one.

The visuals are very nice and the gameplay is fluid and

The visuals are very nice and the gameplay is fluid and fun. Dawn of War keeps setting the standard for visceral combat in the RTS genre.
  10. Nov 25, 2010
    Beautiful campaign mode. Great voice acting. Great action. Wonderful ability to outfit your team and unit selection. nice graphics.
    A Rare game that is nearly perfect as far as a role play campaign is concerned.
    2 thumbs up!
  11. Sep 25, 2011
    Ein sehr gelungenes und spannendes Spiel, macht mir heute immer noch SpaÃ
  12. Jun 6, 2013
    In many ways a very good game. It was however somewhat ruined by repetitive and unimaginative maps. It captures a lot of the atmosphere of the wh40k universe, and the units feel unique and have interesting development options.
  13. flyntj
    Jan 6, 2010
    pretty fun like the multiplayer stuff and survival mode, main quest is fun though a little boring after a while
  14. Jan 3, 2013
    This is definitely one of the best games I have ever played in my entire life. I will rate it 8 because it uses Windows LIVE, though. Absolutely terrible service.
  15. Jul 28, 2012
    I find it rather odd how people are complaining about the RPG elements in the singleplayer mode. Warhammer 40k having RPG elements is bad? Did people have a lapse of memory as to what 40k is? The RPG elements do a better job of resembling collecting figures, building your army, and rolling dice than having completely uncustomizeable units. I mean seriously...

GFWL is a complaint? It's

GFWL is a complaint? It's free. I honestly do not understand why people think it is such a hassle. Aside from the automatic sign in as the game launches, you wouldn't even notice that GFWL exists until you play multiplayer. Making an account takes a minute unless you're handicapped in some regard. I've had GFWL for 7 years now and never in my entire usage did I encounter the kinds of problems people commonly complain about. I get it, it sucks having to use it. I completely agree, but that alone doesn't make it bad.

Retreat is definitely an issue, but this is more of a Relic issue, not a DOWII issue. Relic did the same **** in COH and they realized people were upset by it so they're changing it. I agree, the current retreat feature is completely oversimplified.

Aside from "it wasn't like the old game", the removal of base building can be seen as a good thing. Your focus is shifted completely off of bases and onto combat. This allows for combat to be significantly more intricate than before, but as several others have pointed out, the Orks and Tyranids don't play very uniquely.

If you believe the singleplayer is overly easy and you can spam retreat to save yourself, you must have been playing on Normal. Try that on Primarch. I dare you. Yes, you can complete the campaigns on Normal with almost no thought involved. As soon as you start trying to maximize tokens (>80% of units killed, no squads incapacitated, very short clear time), as well as playing on Primarch, the single player becomes very challenging and thoughtful.

As for other simplifications from the original DOW, these criticisms are completely valid. The game easily could have had more content and customization. The lack of scope in the game is a completely valid change, as it places more importance on individual units and how you use them in combat instead of "amass X number of unit Y, use this build order, rush". Those kinds of "strategies" can be just as repetitive and if you won't admit it you're lying through your teeth.

I could have sworn PLAYING THE FULL GAME was a prerequisite to writing a review.
  16. AronRoy
    Oct 4, 2009
    More diversity is in need for the music and the maps. The game music range from DoW 1 was quite excellent and more diverse in its subjects. Otherwise an excellent game. AND there is a bug with the Heavy Autocannon from the dreadnought, sometimes it doesn*t fire, but the ability is realoading without any enemies having recieved fire, quitre annyoing..
  17. SamT
    Feb 23, 2009
    This game takes all of the good bits from CoH and the heroes and levelling up from an rpg mixes them together with some good old fashioned warhammer violence and comes up with something very special... Definitely the future of rts gaming
  18. AndreasG.
    Feb 24, 2009
    A very good game, reinvents RTS in lots of ways and removes parts that doesn't make much sense. Singleplayer was fun and different from other RTS games, though there was some parts of repetitiveness. Multiplayer is also very fun and allows for a lot of different strategies, where combined arms beats spamming any day. Multiplayer could use a bit more unit variety at the end game A very good game, reinvents RTS in lots of ways and removes parts that doesn't make much sense. Singleplayer was fun and different from other RTS games, though there was some parts of repetitiveness. Multiplayer is also very fun and allows for a lot of different strategies, where combined arms beats spamming any day. Multiplayer could use a bit more unit variety at the end game though. All in all the problems are somewhat easily fixed and there's a huge potential in what could be upcoming downloadable content and expansion packs. The future will only make this game even better. Expand
  19. AlexandreM
    Jan 20, 2010
    Even without building elements this game is awsome!! All the battlesare really intense. If u like RTS, check it out
  20. AnonymousMC
    Feb 20, 2009
    Great take on a tired genre. Not perfect, but heading in the right direction. I'm giving extra credit for innovation and taking a big risk, we need to reward this. Otherwise it's a solid 8.5 game with potential to get even better if they live up to their DLC promises.
  21. ZackS
    Mar 2, 2009
    this game not only tries to reinvent the the RTS formula but succeeds in every imaginable way. This is a huge improvement over the first in every single way. Theirs a reason relic is one of the best devs out there. This game only fortify s that claim.
  22. YashaPahomi
    Mar 3, 2009
    This game offers you a two unique gameplay expiriences. The single player campaign with the RPG expiriens. And the skirmish multiplayer RTS expirirence. And, what really matters, that bowth parts are made so well and splesh on the player so mutch anger, force, and fun that it's imposible to stop playing. And it all comes with tons of details and variety of abilities and strategies.This game offers you a two unique gameplay expiriences. The single player campaign with the RPG expiriens. And the skirmish multiplayer RTS expirirence. And, what really matters, that bowth parts are made so well and splesh on the player so mutch anger, force, and fun that it's imposible to stop playing. And it all comes with tons of details and variety of abilities and strategies. It's worth 100 out of 10!!! Expand
  23. Kyle:
    Mar 4, 2009
    this is a great game, the only reason i dont give it a full 10 is sometimes the units go a little retarded and thats very important for a melee player like me. i dont want my units standing around when they are being fired upon. it also feels like when i play i am too easily out ranged and just get blasted, but i guess it is what it is. dominate when things are slightly in my favor. greatthis is a great game, the only reason i dont give it a full 10 is sometimes the units go a little retarded and thats very important for a melee player like me. i dont want my units standing around when they are being fired upon. it also feels like when i play i am too easily out ranged and just get blasted, but i guess it is what it is. dominate when things are slightly in my favor. great game, and its fun having a choice of commanders and wargear for them in order to really customize gameplay besides colors. i agree, i would like to see more campaign and more races added, but for what it is, its amazing and judging by DoW1 there should be expansions on the way. Expand
  24. DestryBn
    Mar 6, 2009
    In my opinion this game deserves a 7.5 however since i cant get that on here i guess 8 will do. I am a big DOW fan...I loved the last few games and when i learned that DOW2 was coming out i damn near $#!+ my pants, however when i finnaly downloaded the game and played i was a tad dissapointed. First the instillation took forever second the video wasnt skippable (was fine the first time In my opinion this game deserves a 7.5 however since i cant get that on here i guess 8 will do. I am a big DOW fan...I loved the last few games and when i learned that DOW2 was coming out i damn near $#!+ my pants, however when i finnaly downloaded the game and played i was a tad dissapointed. First the instillation took forever second the video wasnt skippable (was fine the first time but it didnt save so i had to watch it again). third i dont like having to sign up for anything just so i can play a game...i already had steam, the idea just buggs me. the next problem was no building system, which was a big wake up call for me, cuz i dont know about everyone else but i like to master all the diff races and learn all of there units upgrades and buildings before i fight them so i went to skirmish and theres no way to build stuff so i was like WTF! anyways i finnaly figured out that thats not how things work anymore and that just made me loose alot of interest right there, and i know there are alot of people out there going its a great game anyways and in alot of ways i agree. ive only had an opertunity to play singleplayer as i downloaded it but to me it seems good. the story line is interesting the leveling system is new and the wargear variations makes for some interesting strategies. The way the game playes itself only made me want to give it a 6-7 at most...however then i thought about it and realized that this is exactly what the first dawn of war needed, to me this game is great because its a step in the right direction, what i want in DOW3 is the combination of the ideas. im hoping Relic brings back the tech trees building ideas and the large amount of race selection (especially the Necrons, they hauled ass...they where also my fav army) and adds in a sort of vetren system so that you can equip diffrent war gear to your squads as well as the foundry, temple, and comm tower ideas. So all in all it was an ok game with a bit o replayablility to it but what makes it great is the hop for the future and the combining of the series. Expand
  25. KristofferP
    Mar 8, 2009
    This game has given me something I really whished for, the possiblility to play ranked games with my friends (Starcraft, Dawn of War 1and Comany of Heroes all had a very flawed 3v3) It also takes about 15-20min to complete a game opposed to the 1h matches of Starcraft. But the best part is that it is fast, fun and full of blood
  26. JonW
    Mar 9, 2009
    This is an exceptional game. I have enjoyed it since the beta, even though there have been a couple multiplayer balance issues the presentation, the gameplay and extreme emphasis on tactics is truly refreshing. Be warned that if you think RTS skill is definied by how well you can micromanage haverster units to gain an economic advantage you will be dissappointed. This is a game that This is an exceptional game. I have enjoyed it since the beta, even though there have been a couple multiplayer balance issues the presentation, the gameplay and extreme emphasis on tactics is truly refreshing. Be warned that if you think RTS skill is definied by how well you can micromanage haverster units to gain an economic advantage you will be dissappointed. This is a game that emphasizes tactical manuever not extremely large armies. In other words if you like Total War as opposed to Starcraft you'll be very satisfied with this game. Expand
  27. jj
    Apr 10, 2009
    So what if it doesn't have base building, This is the closest thing to the table top game that you will get. anyone who knows warhammer will be delighted with this game. The way you can use cover and pure tactics means everything to any general. Victory in this game is hard to come by online I have found, but when you win, it really really feels good.
  28. KeithS
    May 11, 2009
    This is a very different approach to the WH:40K universe than the the first DOW. It has a much better storyline and is truer to the table top game. I personally don't like the multi-player aspect of the game as much. It isn't as fast paced as the first game. Also the team leader/hero thing in the missions isn't my favorite style of RTS. All in all the game is very This is a very different approach to the WH:40K universe than the the first DOW. It has a much better storyline and is truer to the table top game. I personally don't like the multi-player aspect of the game as much. It isn't as fast paced as the first game. Also the team leader/hero thing in the missions isn't my favorite style of RTS. All in all the game is very enjoyable, visually appealing and has great elements of play. I give this game 9 slices of pie out of 10. Expand
  29. ShaneP
    Jun 1, 2009
    Visually stunning and the campaign has an interesting RPG style twist to it. The multiplayer is enjoyable but it does suffer from balance issues. The games biggest downfall is the lack of multiplayer maps. There are for example, currently only two 2v2 maps in the ranked rotation.
  30. MisterX
    Jul 2, 2009
    Fantastic game. Giving Starcraft fans something new to play with while we wait *forever* for SC2. Relic has resolved most of the problems with minor bug patches soon after launching the game and a major content and skill balancing update with new maps, which gives a nice fuzzy supported feeling to a customer like me. Requires a quick mind and fast fingers. Some learning curve when playing Fantastic game. Giving Starcraft fans something new to play with while we wait *forever* for SC2. Relic has resolved most of the problems with minor bug patches soon after launching the game and a major content and skill balancing update with new maps, which gives a nice fuzzy supported feeling to a customer like me. Requires a quick mind and fast fingers. Some learning curve when playing multiplayer, of course. Expect to get destroyed by online players at first unless you study a bit and practice your strategy against the CPU. Great game, like playing modern "bullet chess" aka super-fast speed chess. Expand

The single-player mash-up of RTS and RPG elements works really well, and the multiplayer is fast and exciting. Relic's reinvention of the Dawn of War brand is a breath of fresh (or possibly fetid, Tyranid infested) air.
  2. Dawn of War II is a highly innovative twist on the usual RTS formula that dares to think outside the box while staying true to the WH40k source material. Campaign co-op play is a great addition to the already superb single player game but the head-to-head multiplayer skirmish is a bit of a disappointment.
  3. Dawn of War was a finely tuned game with huge battles and many disposable troops. Dawn of War II is faster, lighter, smaller, in some ways more interesting and in other ways somewhat lacking in its execution. But taken as a whole it’s impossible to not recommend the game to 40K fans and to those who are willing to accept that this is not a linear sequel to an aging franchise.