Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III PC

4.9

1. Apr 28, 2017
    Glad to see that Relic have punished themselves for COH2. But, i'm quite disapointed that they ruined one of my favorite game series.

RIP Relic /// RIP Bioware
  2. Apr 27, 2017
    Tl:Dr - They dumbed the game down to make it more like a MOBA , while retaining its RTS/RTT roots. The End Result is a GAme that is a MOBA/RGP/RTS hybrid and tries to do to much and doesnt do any of it well. If they wanted a MOBA they should of went full MOBA, not forced MOBA elements into an RTS just because its the trendy thing to do.

WTAF? I have been a DOW fan long before the

WTAF? I have been a DOW fan long before the games! I Loved the first one , still occasionally play it, Its depth and customization is amazing. A Pure RTS . I wasnt a big fan of the second one at First but ended up really like the RPG and RTT elements add to it. The Hero units were much stronger then normal units but not by an insane amount.

DOW 3 however makes most the little guys useless , there feels like there is no character or depth to the other units anymore , their upgrades barely seem all that different or unique and their impact is no where near as significant as other games , they are just meat for the grinders that are the Elites . They made the game almost like all units are just these extra guys there to assist the Elites , which was never what DOW was about. Its more like a MOBA now where the game centers around an Elite and all the units are just puked out to help your Elite kill there Elite or building just a tiny bit faster.

Everything is dumbed down for normal units , their skills their actions , even the graphics and their skins , seriously compare the tactical marines in 3 to either 2 or 1 and there is no comparison , all units are like afterthoughts to the game with the bare minimal effort put it. Relic normally hits it out of the park but they were catering to much to the trendy crowd so much im half surprised they didn't try to put some sorta overwatch mechanic into the game

They removed all the depth and usefulness of regular units , the only thing i use them for it to take down buildings and to guard a Elite while he heals .

The games feels so simple and so empty and soulless and the draw of the game at least for me has always been its tactical depth and the feel that every squad was important , not only that the whole game seem so much slower.
  3. Apr 28, 2017
    I refunded my game. This game is half ass everything it tries to be Starcraft, Warcraft and Company of heroes at the same time and the story is bad. Comeback is non-existence. Lose your first engagement> slow grind to inevitable doom, win your engagement>slow grind to victory. The story is half ass as well it's nothing more than a glorified tutorial which is a huge disappointment.
  4. Apr 28, 2017
    I can imagine that this game may be fun for some people, but for me, its just odd. The overall design of the game makes playing through a match annoying, unrewarding and repetitive.

-For the first 1 - 5 minutes, its a desperate rush for resource points and hero point generation, slow build of army and technologies (feels like a good solid RTS) -The next 5 minutes is re-enforcing

-The next 5 minutes is re-enforcing positions and generating armies
    -Then end game when you can afford your epic unit. At this point, all the amazing design work for the buildings and minor units is forgotten. You march your epic unit down a lane and destroy their towers (ignoring everything else)

Pros:
    Voice acting for units and factions is good
    Vocal prompts for locations of skirmishes and information is useful and fun
    Animation is good. Unit design is good
    The faction specific mechanics are brilliant (scrap, warp, drop)

Cons:
    -General flow of combat and game pace
    -Epic units, because they are so game changing, it becomes a rush to get them, stopping any appreciation of the other parts of the game that look and sound awesome
    -The MOBA style objectives. Because they are placed so far out, building defenses is close to pointless. They are generic so look and feel out of place compared to the brilliant faction buildings. You know where they are each map so rushing is made super easy.
    -The maps seem like they are the forgotten beta maps from every MOBA ever. Lanes, towers, patches of grass for cover. Jungle camps have been replaced with resource generators.
    -No exp generation for units for offline skirmish maps.
    -The AI and overall game intelligence seems poor. Attack move is needed for everything, if not then your troops just end up having chats with the enemy.
    -The tutorial
    -Music is forgettable
  5. Apr 27, 2017
    Probably the worse game of the series...1) No Sync Kills 2) No Special Attacks 3) Not a true Cover System 4) No Suppression 5) No Morale 6) Terrible Cartoony Art Design 6) Poor Sound Design 7) Hilariously bad Animations made for children 8) MOBA Mechanics that have absolutely no business being in a RTS Game. 9) Pointless Base Building that might as well not even be there at all due to howProbably the worse game of the series...1) No Sync Kills 2) No Special Attacks 3) Not a true Cover System 4) No Suppression 5) No Morale 6) Terrible Cartoony Art Design 6) Poor Sound Design 7) Hilariously bad Animations made for children 8) MOBA Mechanics that have absolutely no business being in a RTS Game. 9) Pointless Base Building that might as well not even be there at all due to how pathetically small the maps are 10) and of course DENUVO DRM and asking 60 dollars for this trash this game is from SEGA alright. Dawn of War III was a Corporate Cash-In to try and pander to the StarCraft II fanbase and MOBA fanatics. Do not buy this game, and show Relic & SEGA that they are capable of doing better than this. Expand
  6. Apr 27, 2017
    I am a fan of every Relic game up to now except The Outfit which I have never played. I loved Homeworld, Space Marine, Impossible Creatures, both CoH's and both DoW's even though they were very different games. Also I enjoy Warhammer, especially 40k. So this should be a game for me, no? Sadly, it is not.

Combat is not interesting and is quite mechanical, economy is outdated returnig to version before CoH1, turrets and power nodes are a blatant steal from MOBA's and completely unnecessary. Elites are badly designed, being able to kill entire armies while costing nothing (so most combats will be around Elite point in the game and whoever holds it, almost certainly wins) and are completely not customisable taking away a strategy layer.

Raiding is completely out of the picture cause of listening posts so there are only big blobs running around, and cause there is no retreat the blob which gets the first win will continue winning and return mechanics are completely not working cause instead of pop cap regulated req it is economy regulated, so if you have map control your army is gonna be bigger, period. Super weapons also cost nothing so can be spammed and whoever wipes more with his power, wins engagents without the need to strategise. Also Elites will almost certainly become micro transactions with best ones locked behind mounds of ingame currency or a couple of Euro's, so if you want to win in a tournament you better have the newest Elite (pay cash).

And I am not even touching strange art style, lore unfriendly abilities and animations and bad responsiveness ... Simply put, this game is gaming disappointment of a decade for me
  7. Apr 28, 2017
    I am a huge biased fan of everything WH40k; loved the first RTS - DoW, and the RPG-ish DoW 2. (Also a big Moba fan, as it is relevant here).
    Sadly, I must say DoW 3 is a Huge miss here (and I worry my 4/10 rating is too much generous?).
    First off, the gameplay simply isn't there. The mix they tried to do between the two previous DoW doesnt work; it just isn't balanced and the epicness
    First off, the gameplay simply isn't there.
    The mix they tried to do between the two previous DoW doesnt work; it just isn't balanced and the epicness isn't there. The worst is the small maps which are heavily restricted (corridors) and nullify all aspect of strategy which you want in a RTS.
    While there are positive like the graphics, audio, voice acting and the overall 40k universe;
    The worst is the content. If you dont care about multiplayer, the campaign is short and dull and again, very restricted (Feels like a never ending tutorial with never any freedom to play the mission like you want).
    Only 3 races and no game mode... (I mean the potential was there, they could have made another Last Stand mode with the heroes, which was a BLAST in DoW 2!)
    You will basically pay the highest AAA price, play the 10h-ish campaign, forget its dull story and never open the game again.
  8. Apr 27, 2017
    Last time I checked,DoW franchise wasnt a moba. Completly dislike the art atyle and gameplay.Where you have all powerful elite and weak creep squads. No thanks relic.See you in DoW4
  9. Apr 27, 2017
    Fatal Errors within the tutorial, and UX design on par with Command and Conquer ... from '95. Truly a shame.

The sad part is that this is a series with a fantastic history and a truly astounding track record when it comes to the gameplay. To see a series go to the point where there's crashes in the tutorial and unnumbered buttons for macro purposes, which means you can't even hotkey efficiently. Not sure what they were thinking releasing a year early.
  10. Apr 28, 2017
    This game features poor map design (for the few maps there are), lore breaking abilities, barely functioning menus and to top it all off: the resource nodes are entirely pointless.

Graphics are out dated and the army painter is hilariously pointless for the Eldar. DoW 3 could have been a $20 expansion to the existing DoW 2, offering a new MOBA style game mode and a minor graphics

DoW 3 could have been a $20 expansion to the existing DoW 2, offering a new MOBA style game mode and a minor graphics update. It would have been well received.
  11. Apr 28, 2017
    I was so looking forward to this game but so far it has been a massive disappointment. Most of the strategy is gone in favour of point and shoot with big armies.

DOW 2 was so good that I will not give up on this game but I won't be playing it again until DLC or updates make it interesting to play.
  12. Apr 28, 2017
    Laughable mimicry of starcraft II, loses all the beauty of the DOW universe, boring and empty mechanics, completely uninterested if I win or lose the game, no thrill, poor sounds, no sync kills or cover mechanics, it's like it was made by another company, refund requested, and I'm absolutely gutted... totally gutted they didn't continue the DOW 2 design... DOW 2 is frankly beautiful andLaughable mimicry of starcraft II, loses all the beauty of the DOW universe, boring and empty mechanics, completely uninterested if I win or lose the game, no thrill, poor sounds, no sync kills or cover mechanics, it's like it was made by another company, refund requested, and I'm absolutely gutted... totally gutted they didn't continue the DOW 2 design... DOW 2 is frankly beautiful and has enjoyed a strong resurgence as a result of dow 3's sell out. Listen to the user reviews, not the metacritic one...

The best thing about this by far is the promo vid... that was great... shame about the actual game... Enjoy the flop.
  13. Apr 28, 2017
    I've bought the game only to support Relic. But it coud send the wrong message after all, 'cos the game is really bad for people expecting a good Relic's experience. Forget everything that made DOW 1 & 2 great, add a cartoonish look (doesnt fit with the universe in my opinion), no map rotation, a useless zoom (in or out), very few maps, no cover, no buidings, no suppression, no morale, noI've bought the game only to support Relic. But it coud send the wrong message after all, 'cos the game is really bad for people expecting a good Relic's experience. Forget everything that made DOW 1 & 2 great, add a cartoonish look (doesnt fit with the universe in my opinion), no map rotation, a useless zoom (in or out), very few maps, no cover, no buidings, no suppression, no morale, no nothing ... They started to dumb downs their games with COH2, with DOW3 they are clearly leaving the fans behind and trying to seduce a younger audience ... I think that they could loose everyone in the process. I hope they can get back in business after this Epic failure. Expand
  14. Apr 27, 2017
    They tried to make an esport and forgot to make it fun. Removed all character, added MOBA bases to destroy, and made the multiplayer pay to win. Oh don't want to play against the pay to win people?
    You can't level up your Elites unless you play multiplayer, no xp for co-op skirmish vs ai. Next time focus on making a fun game instead of being greedy.
  15. Apr 28, 2017
    Disgrace to a genre, DoW series and tabletop original, not a Dawn of War game. Terrible maps, only 3 races with even less units than original DoW, cartoonish graphics and gameplay as shallow as a puddle. This game tries to mix some MOBA, C&C, Starcraft and DOW into one pot, result is a disgusting mush resembling a puke. It is not nearly as good as any of those game. For me, this a fail ofDisgrace to a genre, DoW series and tabletop original, not a Dawn of War game. Terrible maps, only 3 races with even less units than original DoW, cartoonish graphics and gameplay as shallow as a puddle. This game tries to mix some MOBA, C&C, Starcraft and DOW into one pot, result is a disgusting mush resembling a puke. It is not nearly as good as any of those game. For me, this a fail of epic proportions. Expand
  16. Apr 27, 2017
    OMG this is such a steaming pile of crap! COH2 was a bad game and that was 10 years ago, but it's better than this! Game is laggy as hell. No cover, no strategy. Ugly for this day and age. Can't change key binds. Devs ignored all feedback and just threw out a quick cash grab!
  17. May 1, 2017
    Must say that I'm very disappointed . DOW3 came out like trendy game for those who like MOBAs and most simple RTS games. Graphics are not that bad but cartoonish style simply doesn't cut it. There is no real tactical options, mostly because regular units on all sides die so quickly that you don't have time or need to manage them. Its total chaos and meat grinder all around. Elites are onMust say that I'm very disappointed . DOW3 came out like trendy game for those who like MOBAs and most simple RTS games. Graphics are not that bad but cartoonish style simply doesn't cut it. There is no real tactical options, mostly because regular units on all sides die so quickly that you don't have time or need to manage them. Its total chaos and meat grinder all around. Elites are on one side overpowered MOBA heroes with MOBA specials, yet need to micromanage couple of them at same time makes loosing focus and momentum easy. Relic tried to make hybrid of MOBA and light RTS and that is mistake from the start. Even worst mistake was to do away with anything that makes tactical combat an option. DOW1 had cover system way better and more intuitive. In MOBAs you control one hero, mobs come by themselves and you don't have to produce them like here, chaos is expected and welcomed. In DOW game it shouldn't be so but Relic did it in worst way possible with clear idea of making a game to try to lure players of MOBAs and simplified tank rush RTS games both. Game looks lot like StarCraft in level design (space platforms/space forts look almost identical) and even some race mechanics ( elder focus, unit shielding etc.) or story bits with MOBA twist. Campaign is somewhat interesting but it is in essence training for MP and they do not even hide it. Forcing you to play each mission with different race makes patching something lot simpler in a way of story and selling it. DOW1 Winter assault even had better solution for telling a simple but effective story and Dark Crusade or Soulstorm made it with almost no story but good competitive drive. I don't even want to comment Pokémon/Power rangers like flipping Chapter masters and Terminators, or Spiderman like antics of Orc Warlords and so on. You got that but no combat animations of slashing, crushing and dashing, sure sign who was target audience. Even MP is very rudimentary, in truth just somewhat more developed hybrid of MOBA and Clash Royal (lots of Giants and Skeleton/ Minion horde stuff) . Yes it can be light fun but it simply isn't good DOW game

PS: I see that some reviewers are giving 10 to this game " to balance haters" even when they also think that lot went wrong with this one and because they expect that game will be patched and improved with DLC-s. I really honestly hope so but that's not the state of the game now and only that can be taken in account for review and scoring. Right now that's very low.
  18. Apr 28, 2017
    This is a shell of an RTS at best, gutted by removing basebuilding, and silly design choices that stamp out certain strategies (good by early skirmishing/rushing) . DotA wants its gamestyle back...
    Not worth the full AAA asking price, thank god for steams refund policy....
  19. Apr 27, 2017
    What we have for full AAA price tag? for €60 or $60?
    -ONE single multiplayer mode stolen from Dota 2 or LoL - Defend of the Ancient
    -ONLY EIGHT maps OVERALL
    -ONLY THREE boring race with very limited units' roster
    -SPAMMING AND VERY lore unfriendly gameplay more suitable for free-2-play
    -NOTHING SAME WITH PREVIOUS GAMES
  20. Apr 28, 2017
    Why, why did you totally destroy such a beautiful game?
    The community only asked for a game like the first DOW with new and better graphic/ textures, and you released a RTS-MOBA abortion.
    Even DOW 2 is 100 times better than this.
    Dow3 is like C&C4 : an EPIC FAIL.
  21. Apr 28, 2017
    [Short version]: The worst relic's game! Warning! If you were going to play only Skirmish vs AI - bad news: you won't get any aftermatch experience for matches vs AI!
    [Long version]:
    [Long version]:
    MOBA. No damage types and armour types like in previous games, no suppression and cover system, no unit moral system, no sync-kills. The only difference between tank and infantry is HP, infantry literally can shoot the tank (because there are no armour types).. with rifles.. the tank! with rifles! using usual bullets! no rockets need anymore! Nobody cares about casualties anymore you just spamming Space Marines squads and they die like creeps in Dota 2. Their only purpose is making "meat shield" for your Heroes.
    [Elites or Heroes system] (did I mention that this is MOBA?) very primitive and much, much worse than it was in WarCraft 3 in 2002.
    [Animation and visualisation] makes this circus even worse - units are very poorly animated, art-style is terrible for Warhammer 40K.
    [MP] contains only 8 maps and 1 Dota2-like MOBA mode.
    [Singleplayer "campaign"] is just glorified tutorial nothing more. You can earn experience for campaign but it contains only 17 easy boring missions.
  22. Apr 29, 2017
    Extremely dissapointing.

I was A HUGE fan of warhamme 1 + all extensions and warhammer 2. This is absolutely not the same kind og game. The solo is easy, scenario is really lazy. Strategy is boring, too much units have capacity. The graphics are almost like cartoon, not at all like warhammer. Most of the animations (special mention to Angelos) are ridiculous. Colors are too
    Extremely dissapointing.

I was A HUGE fan of warhamme 1 + all extensions and warhammer 2.

This is absolutely not the same kind og game.

The solo is easy, scenario is really lazy. Strategy is boring, too much units have capacity. The graphics are almost like cartoon, not at all like warhammer. Most of the animations (special mention to Angelos) are ridiculous. Colors are too bright,
    Base construction is minimal and not interesting.
    I waited this game for years, and this is a big dissapointement. And this comes from a both of relic and warhammer.
    IDK what happened, this is just sad, sad and boring.

If at least it would have advanced the story and background of the bloodravens... but it did not even do that.

The only, little interest, is in the multiplayer, wich is acceptable. But i think most of the persons that plays dawn of war don't do it for the multiplayer. do they?

I am just sad for this game, this studio, and this license...
  23. Apr 29, 2017
    This game does not know what it wants to be and ends up being a boring mess that takes a steamer on the DOW ip

Feels more like a lane game than a RTS Mechanics are fairly bland and less than previously titles (eg morale and suppression gone) Buggy Heroes are overpowered to the point that regular units are nearly worthless Recommend watching TB & Archs youtube reviews, they explain

Feels more like a lane game than a RTS
    Buggy
    Heroes are overpowered to the point that regular units are nearly worthless

Recommend watching TB & Archs youtube reviews, they explain it far better than can be said here.
  24. Apr 27, 2017
    This game is seven steps back from what past Relic games were standing for. There are no things which were created through several very well received Relic games (CoH 1&2, DoW 1&2) like retreat, smoke, cover, positioning, firing arc, requisition beholden to popcap not economy, etc.

Other things like commanders (Elites) are dumbed down versions from Relic's earlier works, while maps, artstyle etc. are downright stolen from Moba's and SC. This is just a bad game.
  25. May 1, 2017
    The game is mediocre through and through. The voice acting isn’t particularly good nor bad. The music is nothing special. The levels, scenery and the cartoon art style arn’t spectacular in anyway or form. It’s Starcraftish. While I do enjoy Starcraft. This game is not Starcraft. It’s dawn of war, or was supposed to be. Removing the dynamic cover system and changing the art style was aThe game is mediocre through and through. The voice acting isn’t particularly good nor bad. The music is nothing special. The levels, scenery and the cartoon art style arn’t spectacular in anyway or form. It’s Starcraftish. While I do enjoy Starcraft. This game is not Starcraft. It’s dawn of war, or was supposed to be. Removing the dynamic cover system and changing the art style was a mistake, which changed the game from something unique, to a standard rts games with nothing special going for it.
    The graphics on max setting isn’t jaw dropping or even good. It’s just average. And that’s what this game really is, average. It doesn’t shine at any moment. It’s like relic didn’t know what they wanted to do with this game.
    This game is a five.
  26. Apr 27, 2017
    All I can say is, what happened???

If you were interested in playing something similar to the original DOW titles or even DoW2, DoW3 is neither. It seems like Relic/Sega were more interested in playing League of Legends than making their own game. The game is optimized poorly, stutters & lags even in the menus. The voice acting is atrocious & somehow the graphics managed to go back
    All I can say is, what happened???

The game is optimized poorly, stutters & lags even in the menus. The voice acting is atrocious & somehow the graphics managed to go back in time a decade.

The business model is clearly setup with DLC in mind to milk the playerbase in future updates with content that should have been available on release.
  27. May 1, 2017
    I am changing my review, I admit I knee-jerked a 0, and this game is not a 0. It is somewhat fun to play.

On my complaint of the graphics, I am realizing that the graphics being mediocre does allow HUGE battles with hundreds of units, with no slowdown. I still feel like the gameplay is sloppy, but I am also realizing that the "ultimate control" I desire when playing an RTS is

I still feel like the gameplay is sloppy, but I am also realizing that the "ultimate control" I desire when playing an RTS is unreasonable. I used to save scum DoW 1 and 2 if I ever lost a unit in DoW1 or had a team member go down in DoW 2. This game is more about war being brutal and units are dying rapidly on all sides.

Fact of the matter is, I came on here and gave a 0, got a Steam refund, but just couldn't resist buying it again and I am now having fun. It isn't the game I had hoped for, but I do encourage people to avoid a knee jerk reaction and missing out on a fun game.
  28. Apr 28, 2017
    Where to begin? ....This game is NOT a Dawn of war title despite what sega and the devs tell you, and it's quite bad.

It fails on so many levels that it's actually hard for me to explain, suffice to say that the epic feel of battles and engagements with your favorite warhammer 40K races and units is simply not there anymore. There is no customization of your troops who feel like

There is no customization of your troops who feel like worthless fodder to be thrown away at a whim in contrast to DoW II where losing a veteran squad or two was a serious blow to your forces. Cover has been removed from the game and many tactical options with it, flanking is gone as is hitting vehicles in rear armour, facing of heavy weapons and the retreat button. Also gone is the great musical score and voice acting that would accompany your victory's and defeats replaced with inept and sometimes laughable dialogue, "die you commoners"...this was yelled by the imperial knight pilot when engaging a squad of orks..........
    There are also various other lore-defying immersion breaking things like a terminator doing backflips entire squads of tactical marines armed with plasma guns or flamers.
    The new game mode "power core" is a bad joke which often leads to oneside battles being drawn out and favors almost a passive Blob up your forces and/or "camping" type approach, hugely different to the fast aggressive tactical gameplay of point control which featured in DoW II.

I believe DoW II was/is a far superior game to the original dawn of war which was good in it's time but by todays standards is a muddled chaotic mess. It's gameplay was rendered obsolete once the mechanics of company of heroes were developed.
    And so here we have the problem, all the nostalgia sick fools that were calling for DoW to be taken back to the originals gameplay style have had a hand in this ABOMINATION of a game, it has far more in common with the first game than it does with DoW II. This is the devs attempt to make a Dawn of war 1-like game for the current times yet they even fail at that as a DoW1 reskin would have been better.
    Now we wait and see if the series dies with this game which it probably will or if it does survive somehow, will the next game we get be a continuation of the excellence that was found in Dawn of war II? Will we ever have....RETREBUTION!?
  29. Apr 27, 2017
    Just enough to keep you entertained, but not much beyond that. The game at its current state is very barren and lacks depth in terms of its content instead relying on flashy activation of heroes moves to liven up the skirmishes.
    Armies take minutes to build and can be demolished in seconds giving almost no sense of urgency to the combat as you are not punished to heavily for losing troops.
    This game is confused on what lane it should stay in, RTS or MOBA. It falls short in both. I applaud relic for trying this formula but shake my head.
  30. Apr 27, 2017
    They remove everything that made Dawn of War an interesting title to try and entice a community that would never pay 60 dollars for a rts style game. I am flabbergasted at the removal of cover a bunch of unit upgrades replaced by meaningless ones and the limiting of Elite units that are suppose to be definitive of my army. Dawn of War 3 is a pitiful travesty and Relic should lose controlThey remove everything that made Dawn of War an interesting title to try and entice a community that would never pay 60 dollars for a rts style game. I am flabbergasted at the removal of cover a bunch of unit upgrades replaced by meaningless ones and the limiting of Elite units that are suppose to be definitive of my army. Dawn of War 3 is a pitiful travesty and Relic should lose control of this IP after this. Expand

1. PC PowerPlay
    May 29, 2017
    Plays like MOBA, smells like Heresy. [Issue#262, p.51]
  2. May 24, 2017
    In the eight years since Dawn of War II, the RTS genre has evolved to include MOBA-like elements, but someone returning to the RTS fold will have no problem getting up to speed. The stalwart staple of three balanced factions has been enriched with Elite hero units, and the multiplayer mode clearly shows the influence of DOTA and its brethren. Dawn of War III's campaign is substantial -- if not always entirely entertaining -- and once mastered, its three factions offer extended fun in skirmishes with the game's capable AI or online against human competitors. While there is no longer a steady stream of RTS games, fans will be more than satisfied by Dawn of War III's fundamentally classic approach.
  3. May 24, 2017
    A slightly above-average realtime strategy does not reach the quality of its predecessors. Although it looks wonderful, it’s flawed by the design decisions like no cover, low stamina units or the only one MP mode.