Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War PC

• Publisher: THQ
  • Release Date: Sep 20, 2004
8.8

1. Jan 18, 2012
    One of the best (if not the best) game I ever played. Got clever design features which make the game really nervous at all stage, where numerous RTS you might stay in your base until you have a big army. Best translation of Warhammer ever. Epic animations who make want to watch replays on and on. 9 factions in total with the extensions. Great in multiplayer or in Skirmish vs IA (especiallyOne of the best (if not the best) game I ever played. Got clever design features which make the game really nervous at all stage, where numerous RTS you might stay in your base until you have a big army. Best translation of Warhammer ever. Epic animations who make want to watch replays on and on. 9 factions in total with the extensions. Great in multiplayer or in Skirmish vs IA (especially with Dawn of Skirmish Mod). Best RTS game ever. Expand
  2. Sep 8, 2010
    If you're a fan of the Warhammer 40k franchise, you'll enjoy this series of games by THQ. Dawn of War brings the tabletop miniatures game to life in 3D RTS with explosive action and gore.
  3. RobH.
    Sep 15, 2004
    Wow...simply awesome.
  4. GabeS.
    Jun 21, 2008
    This game is fantastic, excellent battle sequences, excellent graphics, and a good selection of races. my favorite part of this game is the amount of individual upgrades you can use for your soldiers such as increasing squad size, and adding heavy weapons. the only downside i found in this game is that it requires an extremely powerful computer to run it at its maximum capabilities. most This game is fantastic, excellent battle sequences, excellent graphics, and a good selection of races. my favorite part of this game is the amount of individual upgrades you can use for your soldiers such as increasing squad size, and adding heavy weapons. the only downside i found in this game is that it requires an extremely powerful computer to run it at its maximum capabilities. most computers of its time could barely run it, and now years later, its still releasing expansions, and still taxing computers. Expand
  5. Aug 16, 2011
    This is an excellent strategy game. The units are varied and fairly well balanced between factions, the maps are enjoyable and action packed, and the campaign is deep and fulfilling (aside from the cliffhanger). All units are customizable which adds a huge level of depth and strategic planning and the placement of strategic points prevents the game from being a defensive stand-off. The AIThis is an excellent strategy game. The units are varied and fairly well balanced between factions, the maps are enjoyable and action packed, and the campaign is deep and fulfilling (aside from the cliffhanger). All units are customizable which adds a huge level of depth and strategic planning and the placement of strategic points prevents the game from being a defensive stand-off. The AI is challenging and the multiplayer is still active after 7 years which guarantees playability once you have mastered the AI. This is a must play both for strategy fans and table-top Warhammer enthusiasts. Expand
  6. RobertM.
    Oct 6, 2006
    I love playing the game why I only got in to Warhammer in 2 hours in game suit, brighton but I cant get it to work at home it odd.
  7. JohnD.
    Dec 5, 2006
    The good: The idea of controlling strategic points for resources, without the tedium of building armies to gather them is excellent. The game includes the need for resource gathering and management, while making that process as light as possible. The game's art is impressive. The complex animations of many of the units make the user want to watch the battle just as much as command The good: The idea of controlling strategic points for resources, without the tedium of building armies to gather them is excellent. The game includes the need for resource gathering and management, while making that process as light as possible. The game's art is impressive. The complex animations of many of the units make the user want to watch the battle just as much as command it. I almost hated to leave battles to manage other armies or construct buildings in my base. The Bad: While the art is impressive, it is also resource intensive. Lesser computers will suffer in larger battles. The squad management is cumbersome and adds nothing to the feel or play of the game. Most maps have inadequate terrain for moving large numbers of infantry, which is the core of any army. The mini-map is missing key features which have been available on many titles which have come from years before. For example: the 40k mini-map colors all of your allies a single color, with no option to color them individually. The same goes for your enemies. Also, it isn't very clear which part of the minimap is being displayed. A circle or square on the map indicating this would be helpful. Individual unit upgrading is tedious, slow, and takes away from the ease of gameplay which we as gamers should come to expect. The AI is unbelievably poor. Units will regularly tolerate being fired upon without reacting in any way. The game has simply too many units, with ambiguous purposes. While there are both light, regular, and heavy infantry, it is unclear what the differences or advantages are. The same could be said for many of the vehicles. I'm all for unit versatility, but not redundancy. The distinctions between the races was rather slight, with many of the special abilities of units being the same thing with a different name. Expand
  8. KáriÍ.
    Feb 5, 2009
    Really good game. Loved it but there is only one problem. This is just like warcraft 3. No changes. Except this happens in the future, I can see the game now in my mind on pc gamer. Warcraft 40k. Great game ,still.
  9. MikeD.
    Sep 18, 2004
    It's a shame to see another game so wasted. WIth the way the resource system is set up, you have to be constantly expanding and fighting over the map; you can't build up resource production at all like in C&C generals. But even if you are constantly going around the map, what about building a huge army? No, you can't do that because units have an incredibly limited It's a shame to see another game so wasted. WIth the way the resource system is set up, you have to be constantly expanding and fighting over the map; you can't build up resource production at all like in C&C generals. But even if you are constantly going around the map, what about building a huge army? No, you can't do that because units have an incredibly limited supply/unit cap. Like you'll have a cap for vehicles at most of 20, but then the average vehicles uses up 2, leaving you with only 10 vehicles to use at once. One other problem is that the graphics don't use any modern shader effects from what I've seen, thus it doesn't bother to take advantage of the potential of graphics cards at newer than 3 years old, but it requires them for the raw performance. So while this game isn't as constraining as warcraft 3, it comes pretty close to it despite anything else good about it. Expand
  10. Jun 13, 2012
    Nice graphics with some decent gameplay, but lacks the replayability value and variety that seperates an average game from a legendary one. It's a shame, because the franchise has so much potential and a lot of effort has gone into making the game look good. One outstanding thing is there's some decent customisation options you can do to your squads and vehicles to tailor them to the rolesNice graphics with some decent gameplay, but lacks the replayability value and variety that seperates an average game from a legendary one. It's a shame, because the franchise has so much potential and a lot of effort has gone into making the game look good. One outstanding thing is there's some decent customisation options you can do to your squads and vehicles to tailor them to the roles you want, which is a very nice touch.

On the downside, only the Necrons have a "unique" feel to playing them compared to the other races, with all the other factions being essentially the same race with different skins. The Tao are fairly unique, but only because they lack many of the features the Imp/Marines/Chaos/Eldar/DEldar/SoB uni-race has. Maybe "unique" is the wrong word... "Special". Yeah that's the word.
  11. Nov 1, 2015
    Игра-то хорошая, но на фоне других стратегий в реальном времени смотрится блекло и скучно. Можно отбросить сюжетный режим в сторону, но тогда мы всё равно получим скучные локации, не самое удобное управление, страшненькую картинку и упрощённый геймплей. Такое чувство, будто Warcraft 3 просто неудачно клонировали. Так себе, под пивко на пару вечерков с друзьями.Игра-то хорошая, но на фоне других стратегий в реальном времени смотрится блекло и скучно. Можно отбросить сюжетный режим в сторону, но тогда мы всё равно получим скучные локации, не самое удобное управление, страшненькую картинку и упрощённый геймплей. Такое чувство, будто Warcraft 3 просто неудачно клонировали. Так себе, под пивко на пару вечерков с друзьями.
  12. EvaH.
    Jan 4, 2009
    One of the best games ever, only lacks more than one playable party in single player campaign. But hey, just get the expansion packs and you can play them all!
  13. LiamS.
    Nov 2, 2004
    Fan-friging-tastic! It totally captures the Warhammer 40k universe and is visceral and violent, just as it should be. The campaign should have been longer, but I'm sure this will be handled in expansions.
  14. CrackBone
    Sep 25, 2004
    Almost perfect. Best translation of Warhammer Universe Ever. Incredible play, action packed, great game. !
  15. AntoninusC.
    Sep 29, 2004
    Without a doubt the best 40k PC game ever, they got the feel right, it looks right, and plays right. On a par with StarCraft as a uber quality RTS. Well done to the Relic team, but really, what else do we expect :)
  16. SlaaneshLordOfPainandPleasure
    Sep 15, 2004
    Best RTS since Starcraft!
  17. RossD.
    Sep 20, 2004
    Class!!
  18. TheManichaean
    Sep 22, 2004
    The first thing that I need to say is that this game is very well executed. Games Workshop PC games have, in the past, been notoriously glitchy. Who knows why, maybe it was because of the attempts to port very well established rule systems into a PC platform not so easily designed to accept those parameters. Regardless, Dawn of War stands head and shoulders above other GW games. Its The first thing that I need to say is that this game is very well executed. Games Workshop PC games have, in the past, been notoriously glitchy. Who knows why, maybe it was because of the attempts to port very well established rule systems into a PC platform not so easily designed to accept those parameters. Regardless, Dawn of War stands head and shoulders above other GW games. Its gameplay is smooth, its controls are smart, and the teams seem pretty well balanced (though only time and patches will tell the truth). This is a very good Real Time Strategy game, but we all know that there is huge competition in the RTS world. How does DoW stand up to the others? Surpirsingly well. Instead of trying to out-Warcraft WC3, it sticks closely to GW's brilliantly designed tabletop gaming rules and actually brings out a very unique gaming experience. I can honestly say that I have not played an RTS that is similar to DoW. And that's a good thing, because in my opinion, you simply cannot outdo Blizzard's War/Starcraft series and (to a lesser extent) Microsoft's Age series on their own turf. You need to carve out your own niche, and DoW does it. The combat system is smooth and very intriquing-probably DoW's biggest innovation. We actually get a feel for the difference between ranged combat, melee combat, and artillery! Let me elaborate--in other RTS', artillery is a long range gun is a long range knife. Your troops would really do the same thing either way, just at different ranges. In DoW, troops with ranged weapons are just like you remember. Close combat, however, is different. Your troops will actually pick up their hand weapons and charge right into combat! Artillery is different, too--you can use indirect fire in addition to direct line of sight fire. Unit creation and design is also surprisingly customizable. Units are actually based on squads, instead of individuals. Each squad is composed of somewhere between 4 and 20 members, and you can actually modify the contents of each squad. Do you want more heavy weapons? Buy them. Do you want better close combat? Flamethrower. And these are modifications that you carry out on your most basic of units. Squads, as they take damage, don't die as a big bunch--they simply lose members. As they die, you can choose to reinforce them and regrow the squad, or you can just let them die. In addition to health, each squad also has a morale value. This number varies wildly within battles, dropping as the squad takes damage and casualties. Heroes and commanders can boost morale, but if it bottoms out, your unit actually runs away. They don't go berserk, but you can't force them to fight--they must run and regroup later. Some weapons in the game, such as flamethrowers and sniper rifles, are designed to attack morale. Vehicles are really well done, too--transport vehicles, combat vehicles, and some specialties. With the combination of limits on vehicle numbers and the design of vehicles, you really get an enjoyable impression of vehicles being used as support for your ground troops instead of being used as a mass of force. Some players may not like this, but I believe that it adds to the effect of the game. (I was the guy who hated the old fashioned Starcraft Protoss 24 carrier mass) Heroes are really powerful on their own, but in the end they seem to shine when joined with your squads to boost the rank and file power. Their design lies pleasantly in-between the hero-centric WC3 and the hero-anonymous Age of Mythology. The big question in my mind is this: will GW/THQ keep up the support multiplayer as well as Blizzard? While it might be unfair to make these comparisons, half of the appeal of WC3 to me is the constant patches issued by the maker. Will GW/THQ show this kind of effort in continually balancing their game? I hope so, but only time will tell. And the downsides? So far, it seems like a processing hog when you get a lot of troops on the screen. And the Eldar's unit speech is wickedly irritating. Outside of this, I don't have a lot of complaints yet. So to sum it up--good game. I like it. See you online. Expand
  19. BenH.
    Sep 26, 2004
    Best RTS ive played since age of conqs expansion came out. Its what we all expected Warcraft 3 should have been like... I really like the way you can add battle commandeers to troops and then upgrade and reinforce them its awesome.
  20. LukeP.
    Mar 20, 2005
    Incredible game, puts all other rts's to shame and has re-invigorated the genre for me, this is what pure battle tactics and thrilling warfare is all about. I eagerly await winterassault! if u want a absolute corker of a rts and dont mind having gorgeous graphics and presentation to go with that, then look no further.
  21. AvaisK.
    Jul 5, 2005
    This is a huge game when it comes to an RTS. Hats of to relic. Its like taking the war from middle earth to the future. JRR Tolkien will be proud.
  22. SeanL.
    Oct 6, 2006
    This game is freaking awesome.
  23. CrazyMonkey
    Sep 17, 2006
    If any game was meant for expansion pack it this one if you get additied to any game it should be this one! The best game I've played in years.
  24. MattM.
    Sep 1, 2007
    Most excellent RTS. The story is good enough to make you want to continue playing the single player. Good variation to units and many options. A little hard to keep up with individual unit status with large armies though. But it is a must buy!
  25. J.French
    Oct 13, 2004
    What I've been waiting for in an RTS. What Starcraft SHOULD have been!
  26. A.Rey
    Oct 20, 2004
    Absolutely awesome. I love warhammer and the thrist for battle is quenched marvelously in this game! I'm hooked and can't wait for an expansion.
  27. JimR.
    Dec 14, 2004
    Best RTS since Red Alrt 2...WrHmmr is all about having FUN, which I thought was the point of, uh, Games in the frst place...
  28. MstanK
    Oct 3, 2004
    As close to Starcraft 2 as we will ever get, great game, very good feel and control..... some new features.
  29. RogerV.
    Aug 21, 2004
    This iz a great game and i recommend it to anyone who iz interested in RTSs!!!!!
  30. RobinD.
    Sep 18, 2004
    I have to agree with the gamespy review and then some.
  31. ChazyC.
    Jul 1, 2005
    I don't know how to put it,this is easily the most fun and most realistic 40k game ever ! no more single unit hordes which were so difficult to control ! its evenly balanced, so all sides stand an equal chance of victory, although i admit that some speach(eldar) is INCREDIBLY annoying after a while. the campaign was way short, but on insane it can take forever to complete, so lets I don't know how to put it,this is easily the most fun and most realistic 40k game ever ! no more single unit hordes which were so difficult to control ! its evenly balanced, so all sides stand an equal chance of victory, although i admit that some speach(eldar) is INCREDIBLY annoying after a while. the campaign was way short, but on insane it can take forever to complete, so lets face it, this game is starcraft with better graphics and a whole new feel that places it in a league of its own! Expand
  32. JackB.
    Aug 24, 2007
    An awsome, intense and insane game from the awsome models "Warhammer 40,000".
  33. ConorH.
    Sep 10, 2007
    A brilliant game for a good LAN.
  34. WilliamT.
    Apr 11, 2008
    If you're a fan of the Games Workshop tabletop game (as I am), you'll love the attention to detail and characterisation. If you're not really into that, you'll love the bloodthirsty action and varied gameplay. And if you're in between, you will love it anyway. Relic, you've got yourself a winner here.
  35. CodyJ.
    Aug 17, 2008
    The action that you get into in the game is just great, and then theres the outstanding graphics, and good stratagy as you play, it is simpily one of the best games!
  36. markB.-E.
    Jul 5, 2009
    the best RTS-game at the moment! Especially with the addons.
  37. Ghorba
    Nov 18, 2004
    Excellent game, althou WAY short. I was expecting to be able to play the storyline as the other armies (ala Lords of EverQuest). This wa we could have played at least 44 missions (with variants). THAT would have been a 10.
  38. EmanuelS.
    Oct 13, 2004
    Incredible. A must have for any warhammer fan. Also a must have for any RTS fan.
  39. Chimp
    Sep 11, 2004
    If you enjoyed starcraft, you will LOVE this game. if you play 40k tabletop, this is the PERFECT pc version of that. im not going to go explaining all its features but lets just say it takes an excellent RTS base thats simple and makes sense, with amazing battles that can be viewed from any angle, and it does this perfectly to the tabletop game, i.e., giving squads heavy weapons, attachingIf you enjoyed starcraft, you will LOVE this game. if you play 40k tabletop, this is the PERFECT pc version of that. im not going to go explaining all its features but lets just say it takes an excellent RTS base thats simple and makes sense, with amazing battles that can be viewed from any angle, and it does this perfectly to the tabletop game, i.e., giving squads heavy weapons, attaching characters, etc. NOTE: you need one hell of a good PC to run this game so it looks as good as the screenshots and runs perfectly. Expand
  40. JaredT.
    Sep 21, 2004
    Best RTS since Starcraft, except with good graphics.
  41. Konchok
    Sep 28, 2004
    This game got a lot of personality and character, like blizzard games. It was close to anything i wished for a pc version, though fans like myself of warhammer might be disappointed by the absence of Titans like the Leviathan and Warhound of the space marines. The game is brutal, powerful and fast paced, coupled with somewhat appealing visuals, it sums up to a good gaming experience. This game got a lot of personality and character, like blizzard games. It was close to anything i wished for a pc version, though fans like myself of warhammer might be disappointed by the absence of Titans like the Leviathan and Warhound of the space marines. The game is brutal, powerful and fast paced, coupled with somewhat appealing visuals, it sums up to a good gaming experience. However so, there is space for improvement on various aspects, like controls and unit behavior. I believe a game of this calibre have a lot of potential to hit it big if revised and improved. Expand
  42. CraigE.
    Dec 18, 2006
    Absolutely brilliant for variety, different strategies and ease of loading more great custom maps.
  43. Frank
    Dec 22, 2007
    Truely spectacualr, the entire serise is a legendary coolection of epic battles and campaign storey lines. The enire warhammer sereise is popular, but the warhammer 40k editions have outdone even the highest standards. Each game an excellent purchase and a truely gripping, exciting and action packed experience. Internet multiplayer just adds to the awesom entirety that is Warhammer Dawn of War.
  44. ArshadS
    Dec 9, 2009
    Played this for 2 years every day until the expansions! Great game.
  45. ChrisC.
    Dec 17, 2007
    This game is simply amazing from the battles to the commanders. Not to mention it keeps you coming back for more. The online play is just as fun as single player. A must get for any stratagy fan.
  46. Jun 16, 2012
    I can't use any words that will do justice to this game. Great combat animations, great unit control, unique but balanced races (and a whole bunch of them with the expansions), epic battles, great maps, and overall a good story. Buy this one, and stay away from that piece of crap sequel.
  47. Aug 5, 2012
    There have been several attempts at making Warhammer 40.000 games. Some of them were a failure, others were ok. This one was perfect, both in setting and in gameplay.
  48. Sep 9, 2012
    As a fun of table Warhammer 40K i am really happy that Warhammer finally god great PC game. This is one of the best RTS games for sure. Esp. in multiplayer or Skirmish.
  49. Mar 18, 2013
    This is the 2nd BEST rts game i´ve ever played( Company Of Heroes being my favorite). The whole game feels balanced and i have never seen a single bug in the time i´ve been playing it. The story is great, the skirmish is fantastic and with the other expansion packs you will never want to leave it. As it is an old game it is very cheap and easy to get hold of for less than 10 pounds. i amThis is the 2nd BEST rts game i´ve ever played( Company Of Heroes being my favorite). The whole game feels balanced and i have never seen a single bug in the time i´ve been playing it. The story is great, the skirmish is fantastic and with the other expansion packs you will never want to leave it. As it is an old game it is very cheap and easy to get hold of for less than 10 pounds. i am really recommending this for anyone how have played or like rts games. Expand
  50. Mar 5, 2014
    Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War is a good strategy game, but you can't choose many civilizations and I miss the Imperial Army - my favourite civilization.
  51. Jul 7, 2015
    Solid and balanced game play. Great campaign. Tons of 40k flavour. Only four races though so not a lot of options for multiplayer unless you buy the expansions. It also would've been nice to see a branch of the campaign focus on something other that space marines.
  52. May 24, 2014
    Great game campaign a little too short but apart from a solid game back when and its versatile and you can lend it to a friend and vice verca no account needed just to play the game no stupid DRM crap unlike the abysmal second one you install on as many computer as you want.
  53. Feb 2, 2015
    Absolutely a Warhammer fan.
    I've always loved the style of Warhammer Fantasy, painting Wood Elves, High Elves, and other races...
    So when I got this game, I didn't really know what to expect. Eventually it became the game I played for hours and hours on, including all expansions. Playing Single Player campaign, Skirmish and multiplayer skirmishes with friends! Creating many, many army
    Absolutely a Warhammer fan.
    So when I got this game, I didn't really know what to expect.
    Creating many, many army skins.

Story
    The story was really fun to play, it uses the great lore Games Workshop created around the Space Marines. Playing with the Blood Raven chapter -I had never seen this chapter in the store- was a delight.
    For the time the cinematics where great and the battle against Chaos was immersive and tense.

Graphics
    As I noted in the paragraph above, the cinematic graphics where great for that time!
    So where the ingame graphics and animations.
    I truly loved the little animations added to combat, that Space Marine sticking it's chainsaw up into an Orcs face and ripping it appart. The Bloodseeker bashing enemies with it's great axe and cast them aside if it's nothing, etc.

Gameplay
    This is a squad based RTS, which makes it easy to command your troops and keep a great overview of your army.
    Furthermore I loved the unique resource gain, capturing points and needing to hold them.
    There always was that tense moment when you have a relic and need to keep it!

Another plus is the easy design on the user interface, very clear and consistent throughout the game and it's expansions.

Conclusion
    I have played this game for so many hours, with and without friends.
    Playing all races, creating army skins and fighting against every possible threat with that army.
    It was so much fun, for me this is one of the best games ever.

10/10!
  54. Aug 30, 2015
    Fantastic game and campaign story ingame, make video game warhammer 40 000 with cards for pc, that will be cool... Dawn of War Warhammer 40 000 is best game ever for me all expansions and patches are great

1. Everything that Dawn of War does it does exceptionally well. The only real problem is that everything it does has already been done a hundred times before.
    The best real-time strategy for a long time. If you have been searching for a real-time strategy game your search is over, whether you are a Warhammer 40,000 fan or not.
  3. A few minor camera flaws are easily overshadowed by the visceral combat experience that Dawn of War offers.