7.5

1. Jan 28, 2012
    Taking in the objective way in gaming without doubts space marine deserves a 9/10, inmersive campaign and very well done co op and multiplayer. I wont say it is a perfect game cause, most of the time the camera is a bit tricky so you must to get experienced with that. Overall Space Marine is a game that is worth every penny.
  2. Sep 7, 2011
    One note: This is a review of the single player game mode, not taking into account multiplayer in the score.

There's something to be said for sheer scope and scale. In a prior decade, I would have used a word such as "epic" to describe this game, but as that word is so overused as to be deemed meaningless, a substitute is necessary. There are many points in the game where you get so involved in the combat due to the innovative yet somewhat clunky health regen system which actually encourages you to get right into the middle of the fray and shed some blood.

I say clunky because there are moments in the battle where you need to execute someone, and if you haven't timed the strength and rate of your attacks, there's a high likelihood that you will not have an enemy who is ready to be executed. This happens most often when you are using the high power/low speed melee weapons. For newcomers, I would stress that you can execute the smallest enemies without having to stun them, so it helps to actually leave a few of them alive for a mid battle health boost.

Balance between ranged combat and melee is quite well executed. If you choose to run into an open area which is covered by weak ranged enemies shooting down on you from above in order to attack enemies with melee, you will most likely die due to the fact that the weak ranged can still easily take down your shields, leaving you extremely vulnerable. It is gruesome fun to pick off the ranged enemies quickly with a few well placed shots and then quickly switch to melee to finish the job up close and personal.

It's after moments like this that I found myself surprised. The calm after the storm if you will. I actually walked back through the area to look at the carnage. I couldn't help but think of the line, "and you shall know me by the trail of dead", (now a band and a book). Captain Titus truly is a one man army, and the game does an excellent job of making you feel heroic without making you feel invincible. Comparing this to something like Deus Ex, where if you played on hardmode and put your points into the steath trees early on, the first boss would walk all over you. Towards the end of Deus Ex, though, I found that I was so powerful and virtually invisible to enemies that the fear factor and thus my heightened sense of suspension was dramatically reduced. Space Marine does not suffer from this at all. There is always a sense of potential impending doom and potential heroic glory.

The visuals are fantastic. Dark and foreboding, the battle damaged word hangs over you like it wants to crush you. Gore is of course one of the selling points to the game, and enough can be read about that elsewhere. It is, to cover the base, wonderfully disgusting. While the art design of the levels was top notch, the level design was lacking. As with all linear 3rd person shooters, there are some invisible walls that prevent exploration; however, I eventually hit enough of these as to be discouraged from hunting down the little red skulls which provide you short snippets of back story. I started off wanting to be a completionist and gave up quickly.

Last but not least, the sound quality. Probably the best I've heard in a game. The music is rich and deep, with enough martial drum and horn music to maintain the marines-esque feel, while at the same time there is a thumping soundtrack for the most dramatic moments. Gun and explosive noise is very well done. I found myself able to turn, locate, and eliminate ranged enemies very quickly based on voice and weapon sounds alone.

The length of the single player campaign is certainly short. But I believe that it makes up for this in terms of overall effect. I can't help but feel; however, that it is a bit pricey compared to other titles in the genre which were far longer. There's just enough of that buyers remorse kicking in to push the game overall down a peg. Perhaps if I was more interested in the multiplayer aspects of the game, I would be able to feel better about it at the end of the day.

So...level design sketchiness and short campaign coupled with a high price per fun ratio for single player focused people. 8 out of 10. If you only plan on playing for a story, I would wait till it comes down in price a bit.
  3. Sep 6, 2011
    Warhammer 40K Space Marine puts you in the armored boots of Captain Titus, of the Ultramarines. Tasked with defending the Forge World Greia (among other things). You are usually joined by your loyal squad Sidonis and Leandros, fighting an innumerable number of orks and eventually chaos forces. Using all kinds of weaponryt, from the humble bolt pistol to the accuratly named devastator, toWarhammer 40K Space Marine puts you in the armored boots of Captain Titus, of the Ultramarines. Tasked with defending the Forge World Greia (among other things). You are usually joined by your loyal squad Sidonis and Leandros, fighting an innumerable number of orks and eventually chaos forces. Using all kinds of weaponryt, from the humble bolt pistol to the accuratly named devastator, to the traditional chainsword to the room sweeping thunder hammer. The game itself is suprisingly smooth and flows rather well on a high end PC, and as far as I can see, the bugs are few and far between. Hit registry is very reliable and you can easily slice through several boyz in a single swing of your chainsword. Of course, you can also sit back and hammer boyz and nobz alike with the bolter; each weapon has its own strengths and weaknesses and allow for multiple styles of play,though I suspect most of you will just charge into a massive horde yelling "For the Emperor!". Speaking of charging, I could not write a proper review without mentioning the jump pack. With it, you can soar above your enemies and charge down, causing a truly earth-shaking impact. That was the most fun I've had in a long time; eat it Gears of War! There is a multiplayer, but there's nothing really worth mentioning; we've seen it all before. Environmentally, the game does a good job showing you a war-torn forge world, though hardly to the extent the vox chatter suggests (more dead bodies NOW!). The world never quite drew me in as it should, but its open areas and "ork taint" do a good job of giving you a full view to the extent of the damage the orks invasion has done, and the surviving Imperial Guard really do convey the sense of urgency the environment couldn't. Of course, this game isn't without its flaws. My first complaint is the lack of any kind of cover system; a 7 foot tall power armored soldier is kind of a huge target. I know, Relic and THQ wanted you to feel like a real Space Marine (Who I can remember took cover in the Dawn of War series), but most of the time it makes me feel like a real bullet magnet. There are a few glitches, but nothing game breaking, and many of you might not even notice anything. Of course, as we all saw in the demo, the orks sound more like angry british people than actual orks, and chaos forces sound a little off. Most annoying of all is that your companions, while immortal, do almost no damage to enemy forces, and are only good for distracting a few away while you activate fury mode in the nick of time. Apart from all things mentioned above, this game is definitely worth a try no matter if you're a Warhammer fan, shooter fan, Gears of War fan, or just a fan of games in general. If anything above gets to you too much, then just wait until the price drops. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2011
    I didn't had a lot of hope for this game, I was doubting it a lot. But after playing some time, I realised how amazing it is! It seems easy, and simple, but I actually had a lot of fun kicking ass with a Spacemarine. The weapons are devastating in their own, brutal way. The campaign is a bit shorter then I expected, but it has a good plot and gameplay. I also like the difficulty settingI didn't had a lot of hope for this game, I was doubting it a lot. But after playing some time, I realised how amazing it is! It seems easy, and simple, but I actually had a lot of fun kicking ass with a Spacemarine. The weapons are devastating in their own, brutal way. The campaign is a bit shorter then I expected, but it has a good plot and gameplay. I also like the difficulty setting then other shooters these days, both 3rd and 1st. You have to be careful and look around carefully so you don't get your ass beaten. This was the same for the multiplayer. At first I just charged in blindly, which resulted into me dying a lot. Speaking of the multiplayer, I haven't fully done it yet, but I can already tell it seems to be a fun experience. I have great hopes for Spacemarine, and I will certainly be playing it for a long time. Expand
  5. Sep 6, 2011
    Game is freaking awesome! MP is a blast, as it's different than the regular FPS MP. This is definitely the sleeper hit of the year as it didn't get the exposure of some of the other games being released. Combat from melee to range is seamless and tonnes of fun hacking at Orks and then blasting them with your bolter.
  6. Sep 6, 2011
    I had my doubts, after playing the demo; it seemed like it was just another repetitive, 3rd-person button-spam fest. And, let's be honest, at its most basic level, it is. But there's a significant amount of depth to the button-mashing, and very quickly you discover you've got to be mindful of your surroundings, or you'll quickly wind up dead. It's the multiplayer where things have startedI had my doubts, after playing the demo; it seemed like it was just another repetitive, 3rd-person button-spam fest. And, let's be honest, at its most basic level, it is. But there's a significant amount of depth to the button-mashing, and very quickly you discover you've got to be mindful of your surroundings, or you'll quickly wind up dead. It's the multiplayer where things have started to shine the most, however. The true beauty of the visual and audio work put into this game shine, and you'll find yourself marveling as bolter rounds tear through the air above the heads of you and a few other battle-brothers, as your Devestators provide withering cover fire as you charge the enemy's strongpoints... Expand
  7. Sep 6, 2011
    Alot better than I expected. The combat system with the range system works as well as I would hope, and there was enough diversity in the weapons that it kept me interested. It gets pretty overwhelming at times with the onslaught of enemies on you, and gets pretty challenging. It is really satisfying when you get the hang of the stunning and destroying the enemy to gain health. I haven'tAlot better than I expected. The combat system with the range system works as well as I would hope, and there was enough diversity in the weapons that it kept me interested. It gets pretty overwhelming at times with the onslaught of enemies on you, and gets pretty challenging. It is really satisfying when you get the hang of the stunning and destroying the enemy to gain health. I haven't played the Multi-player yet, but I have a feeling it's going to be pretty awesome! I like this type hack and slash game, and it's a good break from a stressful week! I recommend it. Expand
  8. Sep 6, 2011
    Game of the year.
  9. Sep 6, 2011
    This game frigging rocks!!! I'm totally not a 40K fan boy but the shooting and melee mechanics combined with the violence blood fest is a brutally brilliant combo. This game definitively gives Gear of War 3 a run for its money.
  10. Sep 6, 2011
    Before you leap into this game, keep two things in mind: YOU CAN MUTE PLAYERS and the campaign gets much better as it progresses.
    Overall, Space Marine is a good game... I'd recommend playing it on Hard mode and with multiplayer customization in mind. While the content is currently kind of limited (only a few multiplayer maps), the character customization and combat options are endless. If you're a fan of 40k, it's a must-play. If you're not... well, if you like Third-Person Shooters, Hack-n-Slashers, or Arcades, you'll probably like this game.
  11. Sep 7, 2011
    This is a bittersweet review because on some levels this game succeeds like no other, but it also fails at some pretty crucial points. The PvE campaign was the most fun I've had in gaming probably since Halo. This game is hands down the best combat I've played. The controls are responsive, the transition from melee to ranged is flawless and the enemies are plentiful, deadly and gloriouslyThis is a bittersweet review because on some levels this game succeeds like no other, but it also fails at some pretty crucial points. The PvE campaign was the most fun I've had in gaming probably since Halo. This game is hands down the best combat I've played. The controls are responsive, the transition from melee to ranged is flawless and the enemies are plentiful, deadly and gloriously fun to kill. There is an attention to detail to the combat in this game rarely seen anywhere. Explosions will make your ears ring, the camera slows down for executions so you can see all the action in its furious bloody glory, enemies taunt you, weapons sound deadly, it all looks fantastic and it's fast paced. Quite simply, best combat ever and it looks spectacular. But, it can't all be good. The campaign is an old school hallway shooter, linear with no freedom or variety. You constantly pass places which prevent you from going backwards and it's a one way trip to the end. Hallway shooters are dated and overly simple for todays gaming market. The story is likewise pedestrian and has already been told if you ever played any other Warhammer game. Xenos are attacking some planet, gonna steal the big guns, big tough Space Marines stomp everyone into paste, the end. It doesn't help the story's case when the game ends with the worst boss fight ever either. The dev team either forgot they released this on PC, or they didn't care but doing it with a mouse and keyboard is just dumb. The kicker for the whole thing is the PvE part will only last you 10 hours max, even looking into every nook and crannie (of which there aren't many). $50 for 10 hours is a bit steep, but wait, there's multiplayer. Well, kinda....currently there are issues with MP where the matchmaking system doesn't always work and it forces microphones on by default and won't allow push to talk. So you end up with a game full of open microphones that you can't set to off (there is a quick window where you can mute everyone individually if you catch it, but there are no settings for voice in game, NONE). Also there are only two game types, hold an area and death match...that's it. In a month they are supposed to release a multiplayer vs. PvE survival mode, but in reality no one will be playing this game in a month so you'll never find a game. So when it's all said and done, despite it being a lot of fun fighting orks and chaos marines, I'm wondering where the other half of the game I paid for is. Expand
  12. May 13, 2012
    When i first played the demo i was amazed. The combat system is fast, full of adrenaline, and the melee and ranged combat is just perfect together. It feels absolutely good to blow a head of an orc off or slice him in two. The weakest point in the game is the single player with an average story and weak boss fights, but the multiplayer is the best out there. Its quite balanced, very fastWhen i first played the demo i was amazed. The combat system is fast, full of adrenaline, and the melee and ranged combat is just perfect together. It feels absolutely good to blow a head of an orc off or slice him in two. The weakest point in the game is the single player with an average story and weak boss fights, but the multiplayer is the best out there. Its quite balanced, very fast paced, and very unique. The exterminatus game mode offers you the joy of slaughtering hordes of enemies, and a hard challenge at the same time. Buy the game, get out there with a heavy bolter, shoot some orcs, and u will know what I was talkin about. Expand
  13. Jun 20, 2012
    A very fun game up to about halfway, then the game starts losing a lot of charm. Some great detail went into the game, but there's still something missing. The chaos enemies are boring mostly, the orks only have about one or two shining moments, the flight sequences are not good, and the combat becomes tedious at about half way through. Overall, the game has very little replayability evenA very fun game up to about halfway, then the game starts losing a lot of charm. Some great detail went into the game, but there's still something missing. The chaos enemies are boring mostly, the orks only have about one or two shining moments, the flight sequences are not good, and the combat becomes tedious at about half way through. Overall, the game has very little replayability even for warhammer 40k lore fans. Expand
  14. Apr 24, 2012
    This game defies third-person-shooter and brawler mechanics. First things first: If you are a Warhammer 40k fan just like i myself am you will love every tiny little detail they put into it. The atmosphere, the level design with it's vast and huge buildings is near to perfect. And then you have to take this Scenario and put in highly aesthetic close combat which is even enhanced by one ofThis game defies third-person-shooter and brawler mechanics. First things first: If you are a Warhammer 40k fan just like i myself am you will love every tiny little detail they put into it. The atmosphere, the level design with it's vast and huge buildings is near to perfect. And then you have to take this Scenario and put in highly aesthetic close combat which is even enhanced by one of the best control settings i have seen so far (if you are using a xbox 360 controller). Blending shooter Elements in an third-person-hack'n'slay is pretty hard to do but Relic did the job fairly well. So what else to tell you about this? the campaign is kind of short, i must agree, but that does not influence the incredible fun this game actually makes. if i had to write a review on the singleplayer mode only it would definetly get a 10 out of 10 since i only paid 20 Bucks for it. But there is also a multiplayer mode. Unfortunately this mode is stricken with balance-issues and a lack of internal match-options. If you are playing PvP you will most likely discover that player level and equipment matters. some weapons are plain overpowered others prove themselves to be obviously useless. And of course the level and the perks you have equipped will make you either inferior or highly superior to your enemies. Then there is also an PvE mode where u find yourself in an arena and slaughter waves of orcs. Problem with this mode is, that it is made for 4 players. And you can't even adjust the options to make it any easier when you are playing with 2 players. Nevertheless if you have 3 or more people and you are able to survive in the arena this mode provides a ton of fun. So to sum this up: 9 out 10 and one of the best third-person-action-games i have ever played. And it is even pretty cheap by now (~ 20 bucks on steam) so you should consider buying it. Expand
  15. Apr 25, 2012
    I'm a fan of sandbox games, and never enjoyed any game with a scripted story or campaign except Gothic(1). I wouldn't have liked this game either because the story is pointless and your on very tight rails.. but!, the combat is just so over the top with your space marine dishing out the most supreme ass-whoopings by the bushel. They nailed the most important thing they needed to, theI'm a fan of sandbox games, and never enjoyed any game with a scripted story or campaign except Gothic(1). I wouldn't have liked this game either because the story is pointless and your on very tight rails.. but!, the combat is just so over the top with your space marine dishing out the most supreme ass-whoopings by the bushel. They nailed the most important thing they needed to, the melee mechanics, making this hands down the best hack n' slash money can buy. The guns have some nice diversity and pack plenty of punch, no complaints. The health mechanic of regenerating only on melee fatalities is a perfect fit for a space marine, no cover required. They also throw in a bonus power that refills as you get kills called fury. Fury seriously augments your normal powers and generates health while attacking which allows you to take out the elite orcs and bosses. I never got a chance to play Gears of War which this has been likened to but I've played a ton of games, fps's etc.. but this sets a new standard for virtual violence which I can't at the moment imagine how anyone is going to top. Multiplayer has been a bit of a letdown so far, didn't enjoy the maps I've seen or starting at a huge disadvantage to seasoned players who have the good gear. Regardless, I can't wait to see what they do next with this series. Believe the hype. Expand
  16. Jun 3, 2012
    Not worth more than $20 USD. Exceptional programming (besides occasional audio blips). Conventional, fun Warhammer 40k story. Entertaining, novel gameplay, i.e. combat system. Poor online multiplayer support (no servers, just peer-to-peer, so almost always laggy games); possibly sucks up lots of bandwidth! Wonderful environments. Unfortunate take-your-money DLC; game has been tossed awayNot worth more than $20 USD. Exceptional programming (besides occasional audio blips). Conventional, fun Warhammer 40k story. Entertaining, novel gameplay, i.e. combat system. Poor online multiplayer support (no servers, just peer-to-peer, so almost always laggy games); possibly sucks up lots of bandwidth! Wonderful environments. Unfortunate take-your-money DLC; game has been tossed away by developers. If you are a War. 40k fan, definitely get it. Expand
  17. Dec 7, 2012
    Ripping through hordes of orcs is a totally satisfying experience. The visuals and sound are amazing. If you want a little mayhem this game totally delivers. The story is B-movie style but the visceral action is what counts in this game. It is totally worth the sale price on Steam.
  18. Oct 3, 2012
    I Got the boxed retail copy of this on release day installed and registered on steam, I actually tried multiplayer first and well.... lets just say I never manged to get to the single player within the first few weeks so I will just review the multi to begin with.

Multiplayer: Um... this is what an infantry based wargame should be all about. Intense firefights where things like picking your spot & useing overlapping fields of fire actually mean something and running off on your own will usually get you mutilated, fortunately VOIP is built into the game itself. before we get to that the mechanics in Multiplayer work differently to single player. Probably the biggest difference is that Armour & health recharge/recover when you are in cover (like most squad based shooters) moving the game to a slighly more strategic cover based shooter.... sort of. We have the fairly standard multiplayer leveling up and unlocking system with their own tweaks and flairs, killstreaks unlock new armour customizations faster and so on. There are 3 classes to choose from and each as their strengths and weakness.

Basically there is something for every occasion and I am sure there is a class there that appeals to everyone, although there is no support class. Thats because ammunition can be picked up from fallen foes and fallen battle brothers alike. At level 4 you unlock the armor customizer (before that you are stuck as an Ultramarine or a default chaos space marine) which lets you pretty much make your marine on either side look however you want using the armor components you unlocked, there are a lot of insignias & loads of colours to choose from and each individual armour piece can be coloured in multiple parts and individual armour pieces changed out as you see fit (so you can have Mk4 armour on 1 leg and Aquila armour on the other leg if you really want for example) they give you 8 slots on each team to make custom looks if you like to switch between them as you see fit & there are also a ton of Space marine chpters with preset armour sets you can then customize ontop of that (first 2 I made were Blood Angels death company and Blood Angels veteran squad armour). The level of customization is impressive and means lots to unlock later on. You can customize the loadouts of the 3 basic class slots & as you unlock the custom slots they let you decide which class to put in each of the 5 custom slots and let you configure the loadouts for each based on the class you picked.

The weapons are fairly balanced although I found the default boltgun felt a bit weak at times in the begining but maybe I just took a while to master it. The unlockable weapons are not really more powerfull just different & usefull in different situations.

It is not another COD or BF game nor is it meant to be, But it does feel like a squad based wargame and everything about it screams epic battles even though you are only playing with 16 people. If you ever played Dawn of war/ DOW 2 and thought "man it would be so awesome to be in that combat in a first/third person shooter" then Relic have granted your wish. Single player: its a gore fest and a lot of fun, the story and gameplay moves along at a breakneck speed for the most part & I found myself pushing further & further to see what would happen next. Around the middle of the game I found it getting repetitive with the same enemies over & over and I was glad when the story finally took a turn and presented new enemies to overcome.

I found the last third or so of the game more challenging and fun although the format of the final boss battle was quite a letdown.

Overall this is a great and while I enjoyed the multiplayer Vs gameplay significantly more the Single player & Co-op postions other people will find the opposite.
  19. Dec 24, 2012
    MUST play for WH40K fans. Thriling set battles, great visuals and some of the best sound effects. Sure it's linear to the extreme but it's fun. This game did not get a fair shake. I hope they make a SM2.
  20. Sep 22, 2012
    I enjoyed this game from start to finish. Great story, great game mechanics. You will never get bored with this game (just talking about the single player campaign). The multiplayer aspect of the game, I see it as a bonus. And those who say this game ain't hard or too easy.. you choose which level of difficulty you want to play the game. Great game even for a year old game! Loved it!
  21. Feb 5, 2012
    The game is what it is, an action movie masquerading as a computer game. If you like point-and-click hack-and-slash games, then this game is for you. It's not innovative, it's not ground-breaking, the graphics aren't spectacular, but you can have a ton of fun if you don't put a lot of hopes on it being the next big thing in third-person shooters.
    To be honest, I was kind of hoping for an
    To be honest, I was kind of hoping for an action RPG, but basically you just find all of the items you can use in the game and the game decides at certain points to make various items available to you (as if to say, "Hey! You'll need these items in the upcoming mob/boss fight!"). The story is typical Warhammer 40,000 fare: an ork invasion leads to something more sinister! If you've played either Dawn of War game, you'll see the story coming. But once you get the jump pack and the hammer, you'll wish that was the whole game experience. There's nothing like flying up into the air and then swooping back down into a group of orks and then pounding their skulls into mush with the hammer. Unfortunately, the jump pack sequences are too short and too few.
    I don't really play multiplayer, so I'll leave those reviews for those who've tried it, but it seems like it's getting upgrades. It's pretty much Space Marines vs. Chaos Space Marines in death matches and capture points. They also have a dreadnaught add-on that seems like it could offer a new aspect of gameplay for people (but it's a DLC add-on, so you'll have to pay for it). If the game's on sale, go ahead and get it. It's good for the lower price.
  22. Feb 5, 2012
    Felt a lot like Gears of war..which my girlfriend loved, and I disliked greatly. GOW is big hulking soldiers with big guns aimlesly walking around stupid and pointless maps killing masses of bad guys. What makes this game MORE interesting is is Dawn of War element. I really enjoyed DOW and it was neat to see the races that I played with in that game. Tired of hearing all the ImperialFelt a lot like Gears of war..which my girlfriend loved, and I disliked greatly. GOW is big hulking soldiers with big guns aimlesly walking around stupid and pointless maps killing masses of bad guys. What makes this game MORE interesting is is Dawn of War element. I really enjoyed DOW and it was neat to see the races that I played with in that game. Tired of hearing all the Imperial Guardsmen in the game tell me over and over "hurry, get over to this place, you must stop the orcs!" Poor Plot. You can't jump until you get jumpjets...so cracks in the ground and rubble slow you down a lot. Also, I felt like I just wanted to get past the level I am on so I can get to the next level so I can start to have some fun. Finding new weapons was fun..running out ot ammo was not. Felt like I was always having to use the crappy pistol until I found ammo..and ammo is everywhere...it has to be because you aren't allowed to carry enough and you go through it so quickly.. Terrible drama element to get excited to find basic ammo so you can use your basic weapons.

Played for about 4-5 hours...single player and Multiplayer....it was fun until now. Could have been so much more.
  23. Feb 27, 2012
    As a big fan of the WH40k universe, a game like this is long overdue. Outside of dawn of war, most wh40k games have been mediocre at best. The biggest strength of the game is how you really do feel like a giant genetically engineered superhuman in power armor (aka space marine). I felt like a super bad mofo ripping through orks and chaos in hand to hand combat. Graphics and sound are alsoAs a big fan of the WH40k universe, a game like this is long overdue. Outside of dawn of war, most wh40k games have been mediocre at best. The biggest strength of the game is how you really do feel like a giant genetically engineered superhuman in power armor (aka space marine). I felt like a super bad mofo ripping through orks and chaos in hand to hand combat. Graphics and sound are also very good. Now to the stumbling blocks...... Story is pretty forgettable and predictable. For a world that is under massive attack it sure can feel empty most of the time, you will stomping through empty environments through a good portion of the game. Why could they not have more parts where you fight with other imperial guard units? Hell the best part of the game is the fight on the bridge with fellow space marines and it is SO SHORT. There is no co-op through the campaign which is very disappointing! The multi player is so laggy and broken at times I wonder what the point is? There are no dedicated servers and you will find that the host migrates so much that it can be unplayable. When it does work it is pretty fun, when it works...... Finally all the pointless DLC is a real slap in the face when the multiplayer issues are so glaring, the only DLC worth anything is the chaos unleashed pack. For a game that could have been so much, it is a tad on the disappointing side. While I highly recommend the game for WH40k fans, I can't really recommend it to other people which is the vast majority. Expand
  24. Jul 16, 2012
    The single player is awesome, but the multiplayer is also really good with extras not just tacked on. The first time you go in to brace stance with a Heavy Bolter you KNOW you're in WH40K.
  25. Sep 13, 2012
    Repetitive environments, but high replay value. Very fluid combat in MP and enjoyable canon SP storyline. -1 point for lacking MP maps; although the control point mode is very enjoyable/replayable. DLC is acceptable but the lack of players means you'll need some good luck or a STEAM sale weekend in order to actually experience it fully. Exterminatus is excellent for non-competitiveRepetitive environments, but high replay value. Very fluid combat in MP and enjoyable canon SP storyline. -1 point for lacking MP maps; although the control point mode is very enjoyable/replayable. DLC is acceptable but the lack of players means you'll need some good luck or a STEAM sale weekend in order to actually experience it fully. Exterminatus is excellent for non-competitive players, but most perks can only be unlocked in PvP which is disappointing for those non-comp players. Expand
  26. Oct 10, 2012
    Good game, has a fun single player campaign and online is very fun. You can just jump into games with other players and play both vs. or co-op. Really underrated game, got it off steam sale and have since bought quite a bit of the DLC.
  27. Nov 28, 2012
    If you are a Warhammer 40K fan you have to play this game. If not I still recommend trying this game out.
    Not your typical shooter. I find it pretty innovative on many levels.
  28. Jan 1, 2013
    Early couple of playing hours I was really annoyed and felt dizzy by the un/intentional camera slow motion, and game story was forgettable. And then intense hack-and-slash combat sparked the game and I mmediately started second play-through. My character was killed quite lot and even though I felt frustrated I kept going back to beat the game. For $7.46 this game is worth playing!
  29. Jul 18, 2013
    Warhammer 40,000 meets Gears of War gameplay? Hell yeah! That's what my initial reaction was years back when the first in-game footage was released on youtube. Space Marine had an extreme amount of potential to be a rich RPG with lots of depth. It failed nearly in all aspects.

Was it because of time constraints? Lack of experience from Relic for building this kind of game? Not enough staff? We may never know. But what we do know is what the result is. Average trash.

A great introduction of the 40k "there is only war" motto into this type of gameplay. Massive (though empty) environments. Lots of different art assets used. Excellently captures 40k gothic feel. Animations average to above average. Sound quality above average. Character models are accurate to the lore and look fantastic.

Unfortunately the good things stop there. One of my biggest gripes about modern RPG's is they usually start you off as a total badass, warrior of the universe from the very beginning. From second one you literally walk around & have people stare in awe at you when in reality the player has done nothing to earn this feeling yet. Space Marine does this.

Relic had a good chance at RPG lore-friendly elements like character progression, armor/ability upgrading, vehicle combat and more but failed miserably. Instead the entire game is a grind your teeth on-rails experience with unlimited ammo. After every encounter there is ammo boxes everywhere & all weapons available. One wonders why they even put ammo boxes there in the first place and instead just give you unlimited ammo, it would be the same thing.

Next up is enemies. There is less than a dozen enemy types in game. It ranges from a few ork types to chaos guardsmen, marines & deamons. You would think the different enemy types forces you to change tactics but it doesn't. For example some 'Ard Boyz orks carry big metal shields. A grenade will take care of them but if they get too close just spam melee attacks and you'll be able to finish them off just like any other.

Melee attacks literally have 1 chain animation for each weapon and although cool at first, gets boring fast when it is all that's available. Melee weapons range from chainsword, power axe & thunder hammer. I couldn't tell much difference between them except sword is fast/weak, axe is medium/medium and hammer is strong/slow. It really doesn't make much difference in the end.

The only way to regain health is by executions, but you can still be damaged during the animation. This leads to unnecessary frustrating events especially on the hardest difficulty which I played twice through on where you die while trying to regain health.

The story was weak & uninspiring. Captain Titus or the other two marines we're boring & stale. Some of the things they said made sense but I felt no attachment to them. I guess its hard to make likable characters based on warriors engineered for combat.

Ranged combat is fun and visceral. Melee combat is very simplistic & spammy. They had great opportunities to really make an incredible 40k game but in my opinion its a fail. The recently announced Warhammer 40k: Eternal Crusade mmo says they are using Space Marine as inspiration. I can only hope they take the good things (which are few) from this game and leave out the bad.

All in all Space Marine is an average game. It is simply an on-rails linear shooter that does not come close to matching the standard set by Gears of War 3. Only the most hardcore fan of the 40k Universe could play this game and walk away saying it was a great game. I'm a huge fan of 40k but I can see that this game was not made to it's full potential.

It's worth a torrent if you're bored one afternoon.
  30. Feb 21, 2013
    An obviously fantastic game Imagine that when Gears of War meet with the Warhammer 40K All the gore and blood spreading around with it's brilliant combat controls.....and also with the masterpiece soundtrack!
    What else could i say This game is awesome! By the way,there is a totally FREE DLC Exterminatus mode(Survival mode) download in this awesome game How can anyone refuse it Just go buy it and love it
  31. Dec 19, 2012
    TL;DR Mindless linear action, a good base for the franchise to start from, but still has its problems.

First of all, if you're expecting a well written story filled with meaningful dialogue and characters that you'll remember, you might want to stop now. What you're going to get is a third-person hack and slash bloodfest while playing as one of humanity's bona fide badasses. The story is nothing to remember, just your basic "save the world" with a twist thrown in. The characters are about as emotional as a sack of bricks and play the most basic archetypes. The world itself is nothing to look at, just a human foundry planet with dead bodies littering the landscape. After that, Space Marine begins to shine.

You are guaranteed to feel like a Space Marine, this should be undoubted. When you crash into a group of Orks with the jetpack and start swinging the Thunder Hammer, there is no better feeling. The combat is quick and decisive, and simple yet rewarding at the same time. I did say the combat was mindless, however, that doesn't mean that you are simply God and can walk through the game. There will be parts where you die a couple times, figure things out, and carry on, which is nice. There are times where you feel overwhelmed but you end up powering through it and can't help but think "damn, that was awesome!". The transition from ranged to melee is also amazing, and one does not make the other useless luckily.

I did not delve much into the multiplayer, however, it is not perfect but is still a good feature at the same time. The customization is also great, but parts can only be unlocked with multiplayer. Overall, it is a fun experience for anybody, fan or not, of WH40K.
  32. Dec 27, 2012
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME? This game is amazing--I had passed it over sale after sale but finally went for it. I regret all the time I've lost that I could be playing this game.

It's fast, vicious, and DAMMED FUN! I play with an XBox 360 controller on my PC and this game controls GREAT! The graphics are astounding, the combo system a blast, I love the mechanics of the game, the story-line, the true to WH love. The animations and gore are just BRUTAL and totally fulfilling for any gamer who's fond of some hardcore combat action.

I can't advise people enough to at the VERY least play the demo--you'll be hooked and curse these ridiculous meta-critic scores that skewed such an amazing game down.
  33. Dec 30, 2012
    I knew about Warhammer 40k but I had never actually played the Dawn of War or the table top game. This game went on sale one day for $7 and all I can say is that I would have been glad to pay $60 for it. A GREAT story line and an amazing combat system. A great action hack and slash game mixed with a third person shooter. Instead of a cover system (Gears of War) you're forced to get upI knew about Warhammer 40k but I had never actually played the Dawn of War or the table top game. This game went on sale one day for $7 and all I can say is that I would have been glad to pay $60 for it. A GREAT story line and an amazing combat system. A great action hack and slash game mixed with a third person shooter. Instead of a cover system (Gears of War) you're forced to get up close and personal with your enemy be it an Ork or a twisted and corrupt Chaos Space Marine in savage and bloody battles! And it has a great story and really good characters. And the voice work is pretty solid as well. The graphics are REALLY nice. The characters look like their table top counterparts. Even as you and your fellow Space Marines move through the battlefield, the very ground shakes (due to them wearing a 2 ton armor set). This game literally changed me as a gamer and got me into the Warhammer 40k franchise and I LOVE it. I have NOTHING negative to say about this AMAZING game. And the multiplayer is top notch! Balanced, fun, action packed, fast paced, and overall better than many other games out there. Don't let this game go by. You'll regret it. Expand
  34. Oct 12, 2011
    It looks like an xbox game, and reminded me of why I never buy games for the xbox. It felt like an Xbox game, ditto. It had that looking through a pinhole camera point of view the Xbox uses to cope with the fact its ancient and its was over extremely quickly with awful multiplay served up like a wilting side salad. I had to keep looking down to realise I was playing this on a PC. It isIt looks like an xbox game, and reminded me of why I never buy games for the xbox. It felt like an Xbox game, ditto. It had that looking through a pinhole camera point of view the Xbox uses to cope with the fact its ancient and its was over extremely quickly with awful multiplay served up like a wilting side salad. I had to keep looking down to realise I was playing this on a PC. It is the warhammer universe, and it was over quickly so I did finish it. Immediately uninstalled. Another massively boring tunnel vision / linear plot with little illusion of choice and not much immersion. But there were space marines and things to clobber. Pretty disappointing to the point I wouldnt buy DLC a sequel or anything from the same Developer unless I knew it was PC specific. Expand
  35. Sep 19, 2011
    Ok this was by far the best representation of a space marine by far.Single player rocked threw ork lvls.Totaly awesome wading threw orks with a chainsword and bolter,loved it. Slowed down a bit when u start running into chaos!This was a big fail for the game!The end boss to was so easy yes granted the 4 to 5 waves you need to fight to get to him was interesting.The actual boss was aOk this was by far the best representation of a space marine by far.Single player rocked threw ork lvls.Totaly awesome wading threw orks with a chainsword and bolter,loved it. Slowed down a bit when u start running into chaos!This was a big fail for the game!The end boss to was so easy yes granted the 4 to 5 waves you need to fight to get to him was interesting.The actual boss was a joke.10 hours max and probably 5 or 6 on a hard walk threw.Single player was still hella fun!It gets an 8. Ok now the multiplayer.I myself like a lvl up system where you unlock weapons as you go,gives some accomplishment to your game.Controls are tight love how they have seamlessly took the 4 classes and made them rock.With perks and weapon upgrades!Now the bad!You cannot turn off the VOICE!If i speak even over vent i hear echos threw all the other players.And no turning steam talk does nothing to this problem,Epic fail!The second epic fail is the host system.Who ever invented this,it needs an overhaul.Constantly getting bad host lagy people jumping around to the point you cannot hit them.Fun on good ping games not playable on bad host games and seeing how 8-10 games are the bad host games.Epic Fail!One week after launch very few games going on cus of this reason!Multi gets a 2 as it is not playable most of the time.Bringing it to a rough 6.Really had high hopes i could play this game all day long...sad! Expand
  36. Sep 7, 2011
    Warhammer 40,000:Space Marine is a pretty good game. As a warhammer 40k series fan, I gave no second thought when I purchased this. The combat is fun and engaging. Space marines look badass and I love how the ground quakes as you charge. Although the single player is rather short by hardcore standards, you can get many more hours out of multiplayer which was unexpectedly decent. (Honestly,Warhammer 40,000:Space Marine is a pretty good game. As a warhammer 40k series fan, I gave no second thought when I purchased this. The combat is fun and engaging. Space marines look badass and I love how the ground quakes as you charge. Although the single player is rather short by hardcore standards, you can get many more hours out of multiplayer which was unexpectedly decent. (Honestly, singleplayer missions got pretty repetitive and I feel like it ended just when it was about to get old) You will get your money's worth, but it is not a GREAT game. I saw much room for improvement. For example, the environment is really dull, story line has absolutely no depth to it, (although this is expected with most warhammer 40k stuff) and overall audio quality is just bad. The last one was the part that got me the most. Most warhammer 40k fans are used to the Dawn of War II style intense, and loud battlefields filled with units shouting battlecries such as "FOR THE EMPEROR", or "PURGE THE HERETIC". Combined with spectacular combat gore. those sounds really made the game feel alive. This trait continued for most of the relic releases, then suddenly they decided to not do it for space marines. Seriously, the multiplayer audio team must've been not given a budget because you hear NOTHING. You just hear some grunts and that's it. Not even a cheery 'Victory!" when you win. This game also has its fair share of technical issues. I absolutely abhor developers that force check point saves with no manual saves, then doesn't even make sure that there's enough checkpoints. There are parts in the game where if you die, you get rolled back 10 mins worth of fighting. If you die on the last boss fight, you have to watch unskippable cinematic all over again. The multiplayer is on peer to peer basis and lags like a mofo half of the time. This game also appears to have been made with consoles in mind as it has no push to talk. You have to mute every person in the lobby unless you want to hear background noise from 7 different people. Chat in lobbies slowly fade out for no **** reason when there's plenty of room. But hey, I'm nit picking at it at this point. Expand
  37. Sep 22, 2011
    After finishing this game I think I bought this game just because this is a WH40K universe, which I really like. Yes, killing all the green skins with melee and ground pound, but after end there is nothing interesting to do...
  38. Sep 24, 2011
    Campaign Mode Review: Graphics: No breakthroughs, but definitely not dated and pleasing to the eye. Art design was good, no lack of material from Games Workshop to go on and they kept the look and feel. Animations are solid and play well without any glitches. Sound: Score was ok and in theme. Voice acting was clearly on a budget. It wasn't horrible, but the dialogues felt stale. VoiceCampaign Mode Review: Graphics: No breakthroughs, but definitely not dated and pleasing to the eye. Art design was good, no lack of material from Games Workshop to go on and they kept the look and feel. Animations are solid and play well without any glitches. Sound: Score was ok and in theme. Voice acting was clearly on a budget. It wasn't horrible, but the dialogues felt stale. Voice actors just reading their lines...didn't really feel connection to their situation or the theme. This is an over-the-top gothic sci-fi / fantasy IP...the acting did not convey that at all....and the lines were cheese as well. Story: Short and formulaic, especially if you played the the other Warhammer 40K titles by THQ (which are WAY better games). Don't expect heavy plot and forget about any twists. Gameplay: Ouch. This is where the game gets really ugly. It really brings it down to the very basics. You move around and shoot or melee attack. When you equip yourself with a jump pack, you can actually jump high and smash down upon your foes (probably the most fun out of the whole game), otherwise jumping is not an option, not even tiny little jumps over rocks or crates...you are inexorably tied to the ground. Fortunately you can tumble to evade shots and run, but not crouch. Cover? It's important to allow your shield to recover, but don't expect any special move, action or animation to take cover. Simply move behind an obstacle and stand there....again, no crouching behind short obstacles, they'll just shoot you in the head as you stand there. Given other games like Assasins Creed or Call of Duty, or pretty much any recent action shooters, I really felt confined with my these limitations. OK, so I don't expect my space marine to run across tight ropes or over roof types, but not even crouching? Not very fun (except for jump packs, that was a lot of fun. Too bad you don't get to use it often enough). Another really annoying feature (or lack thereof) that has absolutely no excuse: no load/save games. No ability to edit key bindings. NO KEY BINDING OPTIONS??? Are you guys serious? This is marketed as a $50 title? THQ actually published this?? Level Design: Yawn. So linear it practically holds your hand along the whole way. There really is NO decision making whatsoever. No side missions, no nothing extra. You can explore the levels a little more thoroughly, but there is very little incentive to do so at all. The only things you need are ammo refills which are conveniently placed everywhere so you will be hard pressed to EVER run out. The skull thingy's with voice recorded logs are utter rubbish! Adds little to the a very thin story and weak plot. Adds nothing to the game play. In fact, they're quite annoying because you can only listen them from your options menu...so essentially you actually have to stop playing for 10 - 15 second conversation snippets of (mostly) insignificant (and poorly acted) dialogues. Finally, you can get over the whole campaign in less than 10 hours....which is plenty for a game that has nothing new to offer for the latter 5 hours of play. Summary If you're a Warhammer 40K fan, you may briefly enjoy this title, but will be let down by another cheap production of a rich and popular IP. I bought this from Steam for $50 (pre-purchase) because they threw in Darksiders for free. Quite honestly, DarkSiders was sooo much better that they should have really been offering Space Marine as a freebie for a copy of DarkSiders. I'm just glad I got something decent for my money. I believe you will find this available for $19.99 or even $9.99 very soon...which is good because it's not worth more than that. Expand
  39. Sep 6, 2011
    Not a bad game by any means. It won't win game of the year or anything but it is enjoyable. It does feel a bit too short and multiplayer is a bit lame right now but hopefully some tweeks to it are on the way. The game feels violent and gritty, as it should. The camera angles are a bit crappy and certainly elements of the game feel a bit forced. Not to mention that the voice acting isNot a bad game by any means. It won't win game of the year or anything but it is enjoyable. It does feel a bit too short and multiplayer is a bit lame right now but hopefully some tweeks to it are on the way. The game feels violent and gritty, as it should. The camera angles are a bit crappy and certainly elements of the game feel a bit forced. Not to mention that the voice acting is pretty bad but then again this game really isn't about the story. In my opinion, this game is a fine addition to the Warhammer 40,000 IP. Expand
  40. Oct 8, 2011
    Overall great game, especially in the single player. This game really excels at giving you the feeling of power as you strike down twenty orks at once and run along to kill some more! The transition from melee to ranged and back is smooth and it's not even worth complaining about. While the story in the single player is nothing to write home about, and not even canon, it still sets up anOverall great game, especially in the single player. This game really excels at giving you the feeling of power as you strike down twenty orks at once and run along to kill some more! The transition from melee to ranged and back is smooth and it's not even worth complaining about. While the story in the single player is nothing to write home about, and not even canon, it still sets up an adventure that does what it's supposed to: To lead you to the next battle. Overall, the single player is a good piece of work, and to top it off the graphics are pretty shiny. If only the same could be said for the multiplayer. The multiplayer is by far a simple console port, and not even really good. Due to the fact it runs on P2P servers, it means that you will randomly die to a shot that actually hit you four seconds ago, and you will be unable to dodge a big hammer from the Assault class, effectively removing your top half body from the lower. The lag is the main issue, as the rest of the multiplayer is the pretty standard stuff. There's team deathmatch, and a second mode where you fight for contested zones. Overall, pretty simple stuff, but it might just keep you hooked for a while after you're done with the singleplayer, due to the leveling system. Expand
  41. Oct 1, 2011
    While it has it's fun moments, it leaves much to be desired. Gameplay is ok, and so is the graphics, but nothing spectacular, and the story is beyond lame. But then again, I've never been into Warhammer 40K.
  42. Sep 7, 2011
    Its not going to win any awards for voice acting, story, or overal originality/replayability but it is more fun than half of the huge studio releases I've played this year. It is amazing goddamn FUN. You are slaughtering your way through thousands and thousands of Orks, smashing their heads, disemboweling them, vaporizing them. If you love warhammer at ALL you will be thrilled with this.Its not going to win any awards for voice acting, story, or overal originality/replayability but it is more fun than half of the huge studio releases I've played this year. It is amazing goddamn FUN. You are slaughtering your way through thousands and thousands of Orks, smashing their heads, disemboweling them, vaporizing them. If you love warhammer at ALL you will be thrilled with this. On a side note, the graphics are actually quite excellent, with fully rendered backgrounds in most of the environments, and a complete lack of annoying "invisible walls". Just wait till you get your hands on a jetpack, the game gives you a TON of mobility. The multiplayer is absolute hilarious chaos, and worth checking out even if it won't hold your interest like a COD or Battlefield title might. Overall an excellent buy. Expand
  43. Sep 6, 2011
    I know when a game is good, and its when I have a hard time putting it down. Space Marine is a game that does this for me. The story, locations, music, and action just keep pulling me in.
  44. Sep 7, 2011
    awesome setup, single-player is actually really good. as for MP could have used some more work, the DLC coop-op is needed majorly and it will improve the game a ton. another thing i would like to see would be instead of chaos vs space marines it be nice to play other races in the MP to make it more amusing, maybe in DLC they will add it in. this game has a lot of room to grow i hope theyawesome setup, single-player is actually really good. as for MP could have used some more work, the DLC coop-op is needed majorly and it will improve the game a ton. another thing i would like to see would be instead of chaos vs space marines it be nice to play other races in the MP to make it more amusing, maybe in DLC they will add it in. this game has a lot of room to grow i hope they make it awesome and build it up like dawn of war Expand
  45. Sep 6, 2011
    I can't go as high as a 9, but this is a decent game, if you're a Warhammer 40K fan, it's awesome. I can't go to a 9 because simply there are some issues that don't feel like they are fully polished. The Melee combat is great when it works, but many times, the camera doesn't roll very well with it. This can become even more evident in multi-player when you have two players rolling andI can't go as high as a 9, but this is a decent game, if you're a Warhammer 40K fan, it's awesome. I can't go to a 9 because simply there are some issues that don't feel like they are fully polished. The Melee combat is great when it works, but many times, the camera doesn't roll very well with it. This can become even more evident in multi-player when you have two players rolling and crashing around each other.

The info on weapons and their usage is a little sparse, but a little experimentation or asking your teammates will get you the info you need.

The word is well done for both single player and multi. The detail of the Spacemarines, all the way down to believing how big they are from the animations, sound FX and feel of their movement is well communicated.

Some people are complaining about the single player being too short, I'm not through it yet so not sure, but 10hrs would be fine if its as fun as the first couple have been.

The MP adds some new dynamics with the air assault. The rest is what we see in other games. I hope they bring some new maps in and expect they will but as far as modes, the two they have are fine with me. If you want to hate it, it's probably easy to. If you want great, extreme combat in the WH40K Universe, this game does a pretty good job of delivering.
  46. Sep 6, 2011
    I can't stop playing this game right now! The games pretty easy on normal for seasoned FPS players but it is still REALLY fun and worth buying or gameflying for people who only want to play campaign. Worth your time for sure.
  47. Sep 15, 2011
    Space marine is a game where you are a hulking monster of a man who's sole purpose is to rip in half anything that stands in your way. By that standpoint, i believe Relic both reached and surpassed their goal beautifully. Weather in single or multiplayer, the feeling that you are ten feet tall and bad-ass seeps from every aspect of the game. However, this does not change the fact thatSpace marine is a game where you are a hulking monster of a man who's sole purpose is to rip in half anything that stands in your way. By that standpoint, i believe Relic both reached and surpassed their goal beautifully. Weather in single or multiplayer, the feeling that you are ten feet tall and bad-ass seeps from every aspect of the game. However, this does not change the fact that Relic failed utterly in their goal. They set out to build a single player experience that should have knocked our socks off, but the lackluster cast of characters, mediocre voice acting (WTF happened to Steve Blum?), moderate plot, and incredibly repetitive combat scenarios overall dragged the game's single player experience into the pits. While I am a huge fan of the game's multiplayer and overall combat system, it is difficult to overlook Relic's failure of a campaign. Expand
  48. Sep 20, 2011
    Warhammer 40,000: Space Marines offers you a movie game experience. there are some aspect that make this game loose a bit of the WOW! effect. The game interface is raw and simple, I was expecting something impressive as what the developers did in the title Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, where you have a planetary display of the sub-sector Aurelia, in which you select a planet to travelWarhammer 40,000: Space Marines offers you a movie game experience. there are some aspect that make this game loose a bit of the WOW! effect. The game interface is raw and simple, I was expecting something impressive as what the developers did in the title Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, where you have a planetary display of the sub-sector Aurelia, in which you select a planet to travel to and then you would be orbiting a planet (Calderis, Meridian, or Typhon) and then select a mission of your choice, giving you a free strategy selection and variety by giving you days to accomplish certain primary and optional missions. The most spectacular part is the gameplay experience, which is impressive and the attention to detail of the combat is astonishing, I am delighted by the bloody effects and the stunning executions covering you in blood and glory; the feeling of being overwhelm by the enemy makes you desperate to kill the Orks before they do. It is fun to kill the Orks. it is worth to play, even thought I was expecting more blood. I hope that Relic and THQ develop a hardcore version with more blood, jump pack missions and with a more elaborated storyline; which brings me to the storyline of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marines, which seems to be a linear and lost - the epic and inspired storyline that have characterized the other titles -Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II, Chaos Rising, Retribution are well elaborated. The extraordinary graphics of Warhammer 40,000: Space Marines will make you have desire to jump inside the screen along with the sound effects, which are astonishing, detonations will even make your ears ring like experiencing a real explosion. The music is beautiful, it is a must have in your collection. Enjoy the execution done by using a chainsaw, a power axe or the mighty hammer along with the jump pack. Expand
  49. Nov 5, 2011
    If you like shooters, if you like the 40K universe, if you enjoyed the look of the Dawn of War series, you will most likely enjoy Space Marines. It may not be the best shooter on the market today, but the scenery oozes 40K character and detail. When playing the single player campaign you should take some time to enjoy the scenery, how it matches the Dawn of War 1 & 2 look and how muchIf you like shooters, if you like the 40K universe, if you enjoyed the look of the Dawn of War series, you will most likely enjoy Space Marines. It may not be the best shooter on the market today, but the scenery oozes 40K character and detail. When playing the single player campaign you should take some time to enjoy the scenery, how it matches the Dawn of War 1 & 2 look and how much detail there is - easily overlooked if you just run through the levels. The game developers eye for detail shows that they love the subject. The multiplay is interesting but suffers from balancing and match making issues, which bring down the average. THQ should take a close look at the more established shooters and redesign this part of the game, as it stands the multiplay is enjoyable, but not great. Note however that the balancing issues can be offset with smart playing and experience (not a challenge for the experienced fps player), just accept that you'll have to swallow your pride when a high xp players pops along to kill you in a single blow. Orcs would be fun in multiplayer, just a suggestion. I'd give it 8/10 as its stands today. Expand
  50. Nov 14, 2011
    The game itself is not bad. its fluid the gameplay but it feels poorly optimized. Its a fun game and bring all the warhammer feeling into it. but fails to make it playing as warhammer. RTS is a RTS and not can be turned into a FPS. this is Warhammer 40K : Call of Duty with Orks. 7 is a my score for this game. its fun and good to have a nice time, some blood and some shooting, but feelsThe game itself is not bad. its fluid the gameplay but it feels poorly optimized. Its a fun game and bring all the warhammer feeling into it. but fails to make it playing as warhammer. RTS is a RTS and not can be turned into a FPS. this is Warhammer 40K : Call of Duty with Orks. 7 is a my score for this game. its fun and good to have a nice time, some blood and some shooting, but feels like a hybrid and maybe who knows if a sequel will learn from the mistakes of this game. if you find it at discount price like -50% go for it. Expand
  51. Sep 6, 2011
    I wasn't expecting too much when I first heard about Space Marine, and even after playing the demo I was impressed, but not blown away. That happened when I played the full game. The long and short of it is, if you are a fan of 40k you will love Space Marine, and even if you have little experience with 40k, you will still enjoy the game for what it is. The campaign does a wonderful job ofI wasn't expecting too much when I first heard about Space Marine, and even after playing the demo I was impressed, but not blown away. That happened when I played the full game. The long and short of it is, if you are a fan of 40k you will love Space Marine, and even if you have little experience with 40k, you will still enjoy the game for what it is. The campaign does a wonderful job of imagining what a 40k battlefield would be like - the areas are vast, the scenery sweeping, and the cutscenes and battles are impressive. One of my favorite parts of the campaign was manning a turret on a Valkyrie to shoot down Storm Boyz, and I HATE turret levels. The storyline is a bit average, and there are a few minor lore mistakes, but really, 40k has never been consistent with it's lore in any media. The levels are also a bit linear, though it's no hallway shooter and the 'no cover/kill to regain health' mechanic might turn some people off, but it fits with the setting - no mercy, no respite. Multiplayer is fun, customization has been greatly improved and you can alter not only the paintjob of your marine, but the armor as well. There are quite a few items and abilities to unlock and I'm pretty sure a dev somewhere spent a long, long time creating paintjobs for all the marine chapters. Unfortunately as other people have noted, at this time voice chat is always on in Steam so you hear a LOT of annoying music, reverb and breathing. In closing, Space Marine is a solid game that while it has some flaws, they are minor and the game is enjoyable. Expand
  52. Sep 6, 2011
    When I first picked this up I thought for sure, even on normal I could just sit back and fire away, or wade in into melee and basically play god while I cut down hordes of greenskins. I was verily curbstomped by multiple black orcs and choppas and realized that no, I was not god, and yes, the developers did indeed put a good amount of time into the combat. I think it's what many peopleWhen I first picked this up I thought for sure, even on normal I could just sit back and fire away, or wade in into melee and basically play god while I cut down hordes of greenskins. I was verily curbstomped by multiple black orcs and choppas and realized that no, I was not god, and yes, the developers did indeed put a good amount of time into the combat. I think it's what many people fear these days. When a developer says the story is the most impressive aspect people immediately think they're in for a good story, with passable to downright terrible combat used as a way to lengthen the title and not really provide any sort of challenge or fun factor. I am happy to say that Space marine most definitely is firing on all cylinders. The combat is solid and has more depth that expected. The combo system really helps there. And of course the hyped story is indeed fantastic. Also, I have to say the environments are absolutely amazing. The only time you notice any sort of lack of detail is when somebody is talking and their armor is just slightly less crisp looking than you'd like. Definitely a game worth buying. It's great fun. Expand
  53. Sep 6, 2011
    So far I've really enjoyed this game. The game has a decent narrative (about what you'd expect from the genre), adequate controls and good graphics/sound which helps create atmosphere. Game is very focused on bringing the space marine experience to the player and you get a good feel for what it's like to be a giant armored killing machine. Difficulty is low to moderate on normal. ControlsSo far I've really enjoyed this game. The game has a decent narrative (about what you'd expect from the genre), adequate controls and good graphics/sound which helps create atmosphere. Game is very focused on bringing the space marine experience to the player and you get a good feel for what it's like to be a giant armored killing machine. Difficulty is low to moderate on normal. Controls are a bit loose and shooting isn't as good as in some of the other shooters I play frequently but that might be because they want to encourage melee. Online play is fun. I haven't had a lot of time to play online but when I did I enjoyed it. Level system will imbalance games for people getting started. Got killed a lot by higher lvl players with better weapons. Game does allow you to copy the gear of the enemy who killed you which helps mitigate this disadvantage. All in all this is one of the few game purchases I've bought this year that I'm happy with which is the best praise I can give. Worth a buy if you enjoy warhammer. Expand
  54. Sep 6, 2011
    This game really lets you be a Space Marine, and that's good! Great pacing and a good variety of weapons keep it interesting. Playing it on Hard is really a challenge since you cannot just charge into the fray, stun an enemy then execute kill to heal.. You need to tactically plan your assault (defense) then be mindful on which enemies to execute to heal. Multiplayer-wise, it feels likeThis game really lets you be a Space Marine, and that's good! Great pacing and a good variety of weapons keep it interesting. Playing it on Hard is really a challenge since you cannot just charge into the fray, stun an enemy then execute kill to heal.. You need to tactically plan your assault (defense) then be mindful on which enemies to execute to heal. Multiplayer-wise, it feels like Transformers War for Cybertron without the transforming, which is great and the endless customization options are a great addition to the game. All in all, It's a good game even though I've only familiarized myself with Warhammer 40k lore with the game, Dawn of War 1 and 2. Hoping for more Xenos and mutants to kill on the sequel, hopefully (I'm looking at you, Eldar, Necrons, Tyranids, Tau, Dark Eldar). Expand
  55. Sep 7, 2011
    A surprisingly long and as epic as advertised campaign (10 hours, I've seen people complain about how "short" this is...come on!) of pure unadulterated fan service any fan of 40k will love the warp out of this, sounds graphics everything shines to perfection here (wait till you hear a bolter open up) The multiplayer has two problems worth noting one is the two game modes, which they planA surprisingly long and as epic as advertised campaign (10 hours, I've seen people complain about how "short" this is...come on!) of pure unadulterated fan service any fan of 40k will love the warp out of this, sounds graphics everything shines to perfection here (wait till you hear a bolter open up) The multiplayer has two problems worth noting one is the two game modes, which they plan to expand upon over time and the other a bug which forces all mikes open (easy to mute from the "tab" menu), If you love 40k you need to get this, if you love third person shooters you need to get this, if your not a fan of the genre, maybe the production value of the campaign will sway you.

I would write a longer review, but it's just not needed here from the first moment the game speaks for itself.
  56. Sep 7, 2011
    Space Marine does whatever it takes to tear you out of reality and put you in the ceramite plated power armor of its namesake. On top of that, it's a pretty solid game. The classic 40k Space Marine weapons are all there, and they all tear enemies up with industrial efficiency. When things get too close for comfort you can seamlessly transition to melee. Don't expect Arkham Asylum styleSpace Marine does whatever it takes to tear you out of reality and put you in the ceramite plated power armor of its namesake. On top of that, it's a pretty solid game. The classic 40k Space Marine weapons are all there, and they all tear enemies up with industrial efficiency. When things get too close for comfort you can seamlessly transition to melee. Don't expect Arkham Asylum style fluidity, but melee combat is very solid all the same. It needs to be, because the game goes out of its way to throw you into the action. You get health back by stunning opponents and performing melee executions and unlike most other shooters, health does not regenerate (in single player). You get a regenerating shield, but it never feels 100 percent necessary to run away from the action and play hide-behind-the-box until it starts regenerating. Enemies often get thrown at you in massive waves, and it's a great deal of fun to crush them with the punchy and powerful weaponry. Each weapon performs differently, and you will encounter combat situations where survival means being able to juggle amongst each weapon as you adapt to the situation. With all that said, single player is mostly just "good", and rarely breaks through into the realm of "awesome". The game is at its best when massive waves of enemies crash down against you and your fellow Space Marines, while you barely manage to hold your ground. If the single player campaign had been like that all the way through, it would have kept me satisfied. Unfortunately, the game all too often turns into a standard shooter where you're running down a corridor and having to deal with just 3 or 4 enemies at a time. The checkpoint system also could have used a bit of polishing. And the game isn't exactly a visual powerhouse. Graphics look pretty dated, though Space Marine and enemy models do look impressively detailed and weapon effects look flashy. So with all that said, this would be a 7.5 star game, if it wasn't for the fact that multiplayer is incredible. After the horror that was Modern Warfare 2 on PC, I was skeptical that the peer to peer system would play nice with my terrible internet connection. They must have some amazing netcode in this game, because the game is usually silky smooth online. Rarely does it devolve into an unplayable lagfest for me unless the person hosting the game is obviously located in an entirely different country. At the time of this review, you can sign up for a game and get dropped into one in a matter of seconds. It remains to be seen whether or not the community remains strong and hack free. As for the game itself, the controls feel great online and the weapons all feel gloriously overpowered except for maybe a couple of them. Hit detection is very solid. When I die, I usually feel that it's because I made a mistake or my opponent simply outmaneuvered me, not because my latency is messing up the game's mechanics. There is a Call of Duty style rank up system, and the first few levels can be rough for newcomers, but the game lets you steal your killer's loadout every time you die, and that definitely helps alleviate some of the newbie pains. After playing several games, you'll have unlocked some nice things, and it only gets better from there. One of multiplayer's greatest features is the ability to customize each piece of your Space/Chaos Marine's armor, including being able to select from a wide variety of colors. Players end up looking very unique on the battlefield, and I found myself being able to recognize the friends I admired and the enemies I despised solely based on how their characters looked. You unlock more pieces of armor as you complete achievements, and it's fun to play around with what's available to you and come up with something you like. When you're stomping around the battlefield, crushing your enemies in your very own custom tailored power armor...well, few things in life compare. There aren't many maps at the moment, but the few maps that have come with game at release are so solid, that I don't even care. Each has been so carefully crafted and balanced and made just the right size to keep the action flowing at the right pace, there isn't a single time where a map pops up and I cringe because I don't want to play it. As far as I'm concerned, the Space Marine's multiplayer component alone is worthy of a full 10. For the Emperor! Expand
  57. Sep 6, 2011
    This game took me by surprise. I didn't go in expecting much - I'm a big fan of the Dawn of War series, but Relic had not really ever done an action game like this to my knowledge - and came out pleasantly surprised at how quality the majority of the game was. The multiplayer being extremely borrowed from Gears of War and Modern Warfare, as well as the short, but epic single playerThis game took me by surprise. I didn't go in expecting much - I'm a big fan of the Dawn of War series, but Relic had not really ever done an action game like this to my knowledge - and came out pleasantly surprised at how quality the majority of the game was. The multiplayer being extremely borrowed from Gears of War and Modern Warfare, as well as the short, but epic single player campaign are the only things keeping this game from being truly great. Still, it's a very solid action game that is rewarding and fun overall. Expand
  58. Sep 7, 2011
    Man, someone has to be manipulating the user scores on this game. I played Space Marine and loved it, almost every other written user review is between 8-10, and yet the overall user score is only around 6. That means a whole bunch of people must have given the game a score of 1, which is total nonsense. There's no way anybody in their right mind would vote this game a total failureMan, someone has to be manipulating the user scores on this game. I played Space Marine and loved it, almost every other written user review is between 8-10, and yet the overall user score is only around 6. That means a whole bunch of people must have given the game a score of 1, which is total nonsense. There's no way anybody in their right mind would vote this game a total failure without any redeeming qualities.

Someone's been registering accounts and just spamming this game with "1" ratings without typing any constructive criticisms about the game.

Such a shame.
  59. Jun 2, 2012
    The single player Health system. Please read this before to buy:
    Too restore health you must perform a fatal kill against an enemy NPC. The problem with THIS Single Player mechanic is the time it takes to get it done. While it goes through the animation of killing, you still take damage from outside sources like shooters and melee fighters.
    Seriously this is the worst gameplay's feature
    The single player Health system. Please read this before to buy:
    Seriously this is the worst gameplay's feature never see in any game at all.
  60. Oct 12, 2011
    This game has the feel of how powerful space marines should be. The single player leaves you wanting more right up until the end. Aka give me more. The graphics are great. They would be even better with dedicated physics cards on nvidia. I have played 52 hours in a week.

Multiplayer is fun. People say the weapons are imbalanced and can camp etc. There are strategies for every instance so I have enjoyed it. The weapons are from tabletop specs not dawn of war specs. This is a good thing. To the non-Warhammer gamer the weapons are probably a little misunderstood, but a plasma cannon is more powerful than a bolt pistol. There are a lot of achievements that unlock better gear. They are mostly attainable for "normals" like myself

The astoundingly underdeveloped part of the game is the p2p server system. I have a hard time finding games especially during off hours for multiplayer. It is an actual hindrance. I am never a fan of console ports. The interfaces seem of the xyab button school. Graphics settings are minimal which means you need to override them with video card game management settings. This introduces a lot of tweaking.

I would buy it again but I think ten bucks less on the price would have been better.
  61. Dec 11, 2011
    If you're a Warhammer 40k fan you might like this change of gameplay that puts you right in the shoes of a Spacemarine, its full of action, and Orcs, by no means does this game live up to the wonderfull RTS games in the series who contain so much more, but it sure is a nice addition to the francise.
    Play the Campaign, have a great time, but at the end of it all, youll most likely hope for the next game to be another RTS.
  62. Sep 7, 2011
    This game is a beast,
    the singleplayer just owns, all the 40k variations of weapons needed for true fan to love this game. The action and tension is just great. Storymode makes me wanna say shut up and take my money.
    This game is a beast,
    Even though multiplayer supposed to be just an addition, it's more than that despite what some cry babies from Gears of War say is very balanced, people just need to realize there is no COVER system because you are a freaking SPACE MARINE Adeptus Astarties for God Emperor's sake.
    On top of that in 30 days free DLC exterminatus mode, something like LAST STAND from Dawn of War II Co-op... how freaking awesome is that?
  63. Sep 12, 2011
    Not bad for what we all knew was going to be a console port. I actually think it's easier to play on PC than my PS3 and it looks better on PC. I already liked this franchise and found the single player fun. The combat system is a proven one, like playing God of War in the Space Marine universe, and the switch from melee to ranged weapons is executed very well. The graphics and sound areNot bad for what we all knew was going to be a console port. I actually think it's easier to play on PC than my PS3 and it looks better on PC. I already liked this franchise and found the single player fun. The combat system is a proven one, like playing God of War in the Space Marine universe, and the switch from melee to ranged weapons is executed very well. The graphics and sound are top notch and make you feel immersed in the combat (depending on your weapon, some of the kills are pretty wicked). My only copmlaints are the limited field of vision at times causing me to get stuck on things or shooting walls when it appeared I had a clear line of sight and there is no real cover system. I was able to run through it pretty quick on normal (yeah.....not a big fan of hard cuz I'm not a pro gamer and like to enjoy the game....not yell at it). The multiplayer is enjoyable as well. Not a big fan of the lobby system though......it's pretty much a Call of Duty/Modern Warfare style of lobby. This should be expectd though from a console port and I highly doubt anyone is going to spend their hard earned money on a dedicated server for this game when we have BF3 coming out in a month. Also, there is no option to turn off the mic's except to individually mute everyone (which isn't that hard to do but is annoying to have to do it every round). As it has been stated, for some unknown reason they are automatically on and ALL of them are ACTIVE AT THE SAME TIME. Also, there are only 2 modes, a death match mode and a capture the flag style mode. It isn't bad but a little more variety, like protect the Inquisitor mode or a running of the squigs would keep the multiplayer fresh instead of it getting stale. A co-op mode for the campaign would have been nice too, wonder why they didn't do that..... Expand
  64. Sep 30, 2011
    It takes a while to warm up to the game. The mechanics are very basic and the story non-existent but it's still a fun action game. Being a War40K surely helps
  65. Sep 7, 2011
    First things first. This game is great. It is, bar none, the best melee/shooter I have ever played. However...

As many reviewers have mentioned, the single player campaign is on the short side and it didn't ship with co-op. The simplicity of the combat is also an issue for some. In fact, I thought it might be an issue for me after playing the demo. But the use of the combo system and stuns, while simple, is not mindless button mashing. Those reviewers who complain about the difficulty while simultaneously lamenting the simple combat system are missing the point: just because you can do a 3 melee + stun attack all the time doesn't mean you should. The game has a depth even with its simple system that makes even the shorter campaign very fun. Did I mention it was a shooter/melee hybrid? The shooting is great too. I have no idea how people can think the shooting is lacking in anyway, other than the fact that you can't regen health while shooting in the single player (excepting going into fury mode, which is really more than you need for most parts geared around ranged combat). These players feel pigeonholed into going into melee to regen health, where they die because they don't use the attack and stun system effectively. That's not bad game design -- its poor playing. Like DOW before it, WH40KSM requires you to move out of cover and into the fray, not to capture strategic points, but to regen health. You might call it a gimmick, but its no more gimmicky than any other health regeneration system in a video game. Also noted by some reviewers: while you are executing a mob, you can be killed by other mobs around you. Some people say this is bad, but again, this is not bad on the designer end, this is bad on the player's end. That simple combat system suddenly seems more daunting when you try to figure out how to extricate yourself from a mass of 'Ard Boyz and stun/execute the lone slugga boy or gretchen running around the perimeter. Or you could just pop fury, but then the inevitable nob or mega nob coming after might be the one to finish you off! Speaking of Nobz, take your simple combat system and go to toe to toe with a nob (without a thunder hammer or fury mode). If you come out on top, chances are you don't find the game a simple button masher.

As mostly a PC user, I do find the multiplayer a bit odd. No server list is to be seen, you just get thrown onto a server as its starting a new game. Apparently this is common for alot of console games but I'm not too thrilled with that system. There should have been more gameplay modes like KOTH and CTF, but I'm truly hoping the developers will keep adding to this game because the core is so excellent. Barring the strange initial setup and a game preparation step that is 30 seconds too long, the multiplayer is very fun (and one more incredibly annoying feature that I will explain later) . The assault marines may be a bit over powered, especially against a newbie Tactical Marine. But that same tactical marine becomes a nightmare to someone seeking close combat when he has a meltagun, so my verdict is still out on the overall balance until after most players have unlocked the significant weapons. The storm bolter makes me shout whenever someone kills me with it too.

Speaking of shouting, there is seemingly no way to turn off mics in multiplayer other than muting everyone on your end. This is not good at all. If you have a mic, alot of your shouting (or eating in between games) is going to be heard by everyone on the server. And it sucks. Hugely. That really needs to be fixed. All in all, this game is amazing and its main selling point should simply be as the first game to get both shooting and melee into one game with seamless integration. Or, to be more precise, the total range of combat in this game is the BEST I have ever experienced. There are features that are missing (in multiplayer), and for a full 50 dollar price tag I am a bit disappointed by that. But playing the game itself, both the short, but exciting, campaign, and the multiplayer (with everyone muted, and hopefully the matchup system put you on a server you ping well too!) is incredibly fun. I would give this game something in the 8.* if I could but I cannot. And because all the reviewers (professionals included!) who seem to have given up on the game after dying three times in a row to a mob of boyz backed up by flash gitz with rokkit launchas gave this game a score entirely undeserving of it, I give it a 9/10. After the release of the co op mode and with some developer support in streamlining and adding some feature/settings in multiplayer I would give this game a true 10/10 with no reservations.
  66. Sep 7, 2011
    Warhammer 40K: Space Marine is a refreshing change and welcome addition to my gaming library. After spending some time with the game, it's apparent that Relic spent the appropriate amount of time to successfully implement the combat system (range/melee) and included enough weapons/combination attacks to keep mindless button mashing to a minimum. The game itself runs smoothly and isWarhammer 40K: Space Marine is a refreshing change and welcome addition to my gaming library. After spending some time with the game, it's apparent that Relic spent the appropriate amount of time to successfully implement the combat system (range/melee) and included enough weapons/combination attacks to keep mindless button mashing to a minimum. The game itself runs smoothly and is polished enough (especially at 2560x1600) to provide the eyes with some pleasing visuals. A common concern with "hack n slash" titles is for the game to devolve into a thoughtless, repetitive slash fest; However, I have found this not to be the case with W40K:SM. In fact, it is quite the opposite, the player is presented with a myriad of possible attack scenarios that do not (have to) include using melee weapons at all. In short, if you are looking for a fun third-person-shooter that is not your typical fanfare, W40K:SM is a viable alternative that will likely have you looking forward to the next wave of Orks. Expand
  67. Sep 9, 2011
    What's good: The SP is kind of fun since you get to feel like a god, however, the story is really not interesting. It's just a hack and slash. Most of the story is just military jargon. Also, the orcs can only yell SPACE MARINE!
    MP. Where do I begin. It's a console port. Keybinds don't cover all keys if you use the keypad (lefties are people too). Also actions happen after you release the "interact" key instead of when you press it. Key hints map to default keys in some cases (deploy/spawn). FOV is too narrow. Lobby system. OMG, give me a server browser please with pings displayed instead of bars. Voice comms work, but are turned on by default. Be prepared to mute everyone every single map because it doesn't save in between rounds. Be ready to grind because you are going to get raped until you level up past the default weapons. Maps are from 1998, all cubes and ramps. My price point, $20.
  68. Sep 10, 2011
    Space Marine is a good game, not great 'cause it has its flaws.

The premise is quite simple if you know the lore: you are a Space Marine, a genetically altered soldier with a massive powered armour. An Imperial Forge World (a planet-wide factory) has been overrun by orks. Go and kick'em the hardest you can. And that is the single player campaign, a gore-fest like no other. You can
    Space Marine is a good game, not great 'cause it has its flaws.

And that is the single player campaign, a gore-fest like no other. You can fight in range mode or melee mode, and the controls are so flawless you can change from one mode to the other with a button. The action is glorious, it's difficult to describe how powerful you'll feel in the armour of a Space Marine, but every step makes the screen tremble, every blow makes bodies fly, every bullet shot sprays litres of blood. You'll feel awesome.

The combat system doesn't let you take cover like, for example, in Gears of War. You have two health meter: the armor that regenerates over time and your health. When the health is low, go into the fray and perform a finishing move on an enemy, this will make you heal. It may sound silly, but once you're in a fight it performs extraordinarily well. The graphics are good. The characters are modeled so perfectly and so finely animated, that you won't notice the rather low-res textures. The level design is quite linear, sometimes dull, but every now and then a spectacular sight strikes your eyes, and you just sit in awe: believe me the gothic world of Warhammer 40k never felt so real.

But once you finish the single player campaign and try the multiplayer things start to fall apart. The multiplayer is beyond doubt the weakest part of the game. Buggy, laggy and boring. The same mechanics that work so fine in SP do not perform the same in MP, and you'll end often dying without even knowing the game is started. The leveling mechanics do not help at all, people with better equipment than yours have a too great advantage, and things start to become interesting only after a long time, when your level is on par with the others.

That's a shame, because this was probably the best contender against Gears of War.
  69. Sep 7, 2011
    Alright, I'll just do this in a pro/con setup.
    +It's SPEHSS MAHREENS
    +Some interesting characters in the story +Weapons all feel amazing and mostly unique. Sound is top notch +Pacing is wonderful, plenty of story but not too much +Jump pack missions are great, and jump packs feel like jump packs not **** jetpacks +Equal focus on both melee and ranged +FANTASTIC difficulty curve from easy
    Alright, I'll just do this in a pro/con setup.
    +It's SPEHSS MAHREENS
    +Some interesting characters in the story
    +Weapons all feel amazing and mostly unique. Sound is top notch
    +Pacing is wonderful, plenty of story but not too much
    +Equal focus on both melee and ranged
    +FANTASTIC difficulty curve from easy to hard, where hard requires real tactics
    +Multiplayer leveling and unlock system gives tons of room for customization
    -SPACE MARINES! repeated in dialog every 60 seconds
    -Focus on some of the more generic parts of the 40k lore
    -Far too short single player campaign with little replayability
    -Meh story that's been told too many times, but not without its merit as a whole
    -It's the Ultrasmurfs
    -No co-op out yet and multiplayer only has 2 game types.
  70. Sep 7, 2011
    Excilent game and portrayal of the 40K universe. Combat is brutal, bloody, and on a large scale. Controls are a bit of a pain, but not unplayable. Game still has a few teething issues, exspecialy in multiplayer, but for new releases, that's to be expected. Well worth the buy for 40K fans, action fans, or players just wanting a bloody, violent game to endulge in. Too many comparisons withExcilent game and portrayal of the 40K universe. Combat is brutal, bloody, and on a large scale. Controls are a bit of a pain, but not unplayable. Game still has a few teething issues, exspecialy in multiplayer, but for new releases, that's to be expected. Well worth the buy for 40K fans, action fans, or players just wanting a bloody, violent game to endulge in. Too many comparisons with Gears of War by fans too butt-hurt over this game being better. Expand
  71. Sep 8, 2011
    I had a really great time with this game. Sure, it isn't perfect and could use a longer campaign with more progression and combos etc, but I think the core mechanics are all there and that's what really makes this game great. I've always loved 40k and that probably helps bias my opinion a bit, but for me it was an awesome experience seeing space marines come to life.

I think a lot of

I think a lot of people are rating the game poorly because they simply aren't into 40k and don't know much of the story behind everything. Along with the visuals, the music is also superb and I have not experienced any glitches so far after about 18 hours of play (Besides the usual enemies stuck through walls glitch that happens in basically every game.)

None of the reviews on here should be lower than 5.....Relic definitely did not make a failure of a game. Bottom line, if you love 40k buy the game! If you're unsure of the 40k universe it may just be another hack n slash to you.
  72. Sep 12, 2011
    I will start off by saying that I'm a long time fan of the W40k video game franchise and that I own every single W40K title, except the MMO. Prior to Space Marine's release I was a little reserved about my expectations for the new style of play, being such a big RTS fan to begin with. As for Space Marine, I wasn't very impressed at first, but this game grew on me. Its far from perfect,I will start off by saying that I'm a long time fan of the W40k video game franchise and that I own every single W40K title, except the MMO. Prior to Space Marine's release I was a little reserved about my expectations for the new style of play, being such a big RTS fan to begin with. As for Space Marine, I wasn't very impressed at first, but this game grew on me. Its far from perfect, but, I trust that Relic is not done with this game. They already announced free Coop DLC "Exterminatus"(here's to hoping its a lot like Last Stand), which will probably be packaged with a pretty big patch. Plus I have seen Relic/THQ continue to put out lots of new content for many of their titles, so I'm optimistic. While the story, and much of the voice acting, are entirely forgetable, I do find myself highly entertained during most action sequences, and the boss battles tend to be fairly intense, although most bosses are too easy. Actually, the whole game is too easy. I did my first play through on Hard, and rarely died more than once at any particular spot, and most of those times were due to me not knowing where to go next. Which takes me to another criticism; the lack of a guide of sorts, one is left to guess many of the mechanics, and I find the game very short on tips or explanations, especially considering the lack of a built-in guide somewhere in the guts of this thing.
    The auto-aim god-mode melee style can make for very satisfying sequences of pure devastation, but can also leaving you wanting when you think of all the different moves/actions a highly trained Space Marine COULD pull off if Relic decided to get a little creative with it. It would have been nice to have more special moves, more combos, some blocking, maybe even some combat stances, etc. As is, its a finely tuned system considering the context of the game, yet it often feels too overly simplified. I love the fluidity of the mechanics when switching from melee to ranged and vice versa. The single player campaign only took me about 10 hours to play through, which is not nearly enough in my books, but this can be remedied with solid, deep, multiplayer combat. And in this category, Space Marine does fairly well. Granted most of the maps I've played so far have felt like late 20th century map design, the action, and leveling system, are doing a good job of making up for it, so far. One thing that bugs me about some of the close combat in Multiplayer is that I often have a hard time telling Chaos from Space, and this has cost me a few embarrassing deaths already, granted some of that had to do with the poor illumination of where I was on the map. I would like to see the different races get some race-specific grunts/roars so as to help differentiate between friendly or foe when in melee-tight confines. All in all a pretty fun experience that has left me wanting so much more. More races, more playable Heroes, more unique loot, more single player storyline missions, more Multiplayer game modes(although Extertminatus should help with that). Most of all, I want a Last Stand mode in Space Marine, with all the playable races' Heroes from Retribution. Even though Space Marine is out, I still play lots of the Last Stand, and I keep wishing/dreaming that I could play it but with the FOV from Space Marine. I will score this game a 8/10, with the idea that Exterminatus(and the accompanying patch) will help to complete this product and raise it from the 7 or 7.5 I'm thinking about right now.
  73. Nov 16, 2011
    One of the best third person shooters iv'e played in years, the last time i had so much fun in a TPS game was back in Max Payne 2.
    Space marine combines third person shooting mechanics and god of war melee combat into one wonderfull game. There's no **** cover system,no chest high walls only you,your gun,your giant chainsword and milions and milions of orks and chaos marines to murder.
    In
    In some firefights you'll find yourself fighting over 100 enemies at the same time, there is nothing more amazing then holding a hill in co-op with 3 friends while being attacked by 100-200 orks. at the same time.
    SP is ok
    CO-OP is AMAZING
    MP is pretty good.
    I strongly reccomend you buy this game.
  74. Oct 4, 2011
    Overall I am very, very pleased with Space Marine.
    Relic has done a great job bringing 40k to life once again, proving that they're the right ones for the job of developing 40k Games.
    While I'm not a huge Multiplayer fan myself, I couldn't help but enjoy Space Marine's Annihilation and Seize the Ground matches for hours already. My impatience was well justified and the game did not
    Overall I am very, very pleased with Space Marine.
    My impatience was well justified and the game did not disappoint in the slightest.
  75. Oct 15, 2011
    I played this game all the way to the end which is rare for me. if you are a fan of the universe you will enjoy the game as it really captures that "warhammery" "space mariney" feel. It really respects the source material (except that bolters are just machine guns, I guess they have to give in a little to expectations)

Combat is solid and 90% of the way there but do yourself a favour

Combat is solid and 90% of the way there but do yourself a favour and play with a gamepad. Graphics are solid. level design is decent but you can tell its working with the console limitations as your generally stuck in a pretty small environment (but they hide it fairly well).
  76. Dec 17, 2011
    It don't matter If you are new to the Warhammer 40k universe or just love it like me...look no further, This is YOUR game.

The Campaign level is fun and fast (about 10 hrs total game time) but the multi-player is where you earn your armor. This is where you put yourself against the Best Terra has to offer you. Sure there are some tough learning curves (lvl 1-7 are just death,death and more death) but as you earn your Armor and weapons upgrades you even out the battlefield and earn rank and glory. This game with all the DLC out now and coming soon makes the price tag totally worth it and any TRUE son of the Emperor wouldn't be caught without it. The Emperor Protects....
  77. Apr 21, 2012
    (stupid metacritic wouldn't let me edit my rating, sorry for the double post, 0 is my real score)
    The latest in a string of terrible wh40k games, Space Marine continues Relic Entertainments new tradition of dumbing down, ignoring canon, and making frustrating games at premium prices.

As a captain of the Ultramarines you are charged with leading your glorious company of 99 spacemarines into battle in the name of the emperor.

Oh wait, this is one of relics recent games, so you lead an inexplicably tiny squad of two space marines, and you don't really lead them they just sort of tag along as you fight through room after room of broken concrete and button mashing.

Button mashing is the name of the game in Space Marine as weak guns and masses of orks force most encounters to be a frenzy of mashing the right mouse button. To make this worse your rather small health bar is split into two parts, half is the regenerating health that has become so overused in the last ten years, and the rest is a health bar that can only be restored by performing â
  78. May 31, 2012
    The game is a good template for future Warhammer 40,000 titles. But it is NOT one of the better titles. Even though Space Marine does a wonderful job at putting players in the role of one of the most iconic table top characters made(IE: Space Marines). It is not without some serious game play problems.
    Now let me first start off saying: The sound effects, Character Designs, environments and armor customization are some great features to the game. But that is where it ends.
    The first problem is the single player Health system. Too restore health you must perform a fatal kill against an enemy NPC, unlike the multiplayer which restores health after taking cover. The problem with THIS Single Player mechanic is the time it takes to get it done. While it goes through the animation of killing, you still take damage from outside sources like shooters and melee fighters. This poor choice of health restoration destroys any replay for a hardcore mode.
    Multiplayer is nothing new or special. Itâ
  79. Aug 17, 2012
    Hey you! Want to enjoy a game with the glorious variety of 5 (yes, 5! We're splurging, you know) maps for multiplayer? Want to blast your enemies to death with a heavy bolter while the jetpack guys cry themselves to sleep? Only in closed spaces 'tho, you'll be shred to confetti when you leave the said space, so just camp there and have "fun" .
    Well we can't let you. You'll be "waiting for
    Well we can't let you. You'll be "waiting for host" instead. Want to Alt+Tab in the meantime to read your girlfriendgrannymommy absolutely-important-message on facebookskypewherever that is accessible only through your computer? We can't let you do that either.

The network interface (synchronous, and what's worse host-migrating) doesn't even allow dedicated servers. You think it'd select the best match for you considering the 4 minutes of matchmaking, but it doesn't. It's just at random: they are probably using a hamster-powered Windows 98 to make the teams up.
    Also, the flashy skull will really grab the "focus" every time, so you'll really have to respawn and go afk. If it ever finds another host, that is: at time this doesn't happen, and you have to kill the application.
    The programmers are so at fault for this game. THQ, here's a friend's advice: fire 'em, and get a decent replacement. Especially the director, as he obviously slacked on the job.

However, the story was decent. Not good, mind you, but decent. The art was somewhat good as well, and the possibility of customization is almost nice. Good luck I had bought the game for that single ability.

Oh btw, you'll have to live with multiplayer 'till lv 4 to use it. Good luck, you'll need it.

Morale? Don't buy this game if you care for your money.
  80. Oct 9, 2011
    First attempt at a 3rd person shooter and it shows, some of it works well but theres little new that hasnt been done to death in GOW except the Warhammer universe as a backdrop, just seem to lack that vital ingredient that keeps in pushed into tthe also ran clone games, rather than a genre leader
  81. Nov 14, 2011
    The overriding theme in this game is shooting, and all the action keeps you on your toes. If you're looking for a story line or RP, this isn't the game for you. In general, I can see reasons for the mixed reviews. If you're a gamer who grew up on video games, I can see where this game might be boring. However, if you're an old guy like me (60+), this type of game is great.
  82. Sep 19, 2011
    Great game, not perfect but a real blast to play. I've been having trouble lately finding a game to keep my attention, and Space Marine does that. the graphics are spectacular. The amount of detail that went into everything from textures, the main models and even units which you only see briefly like tanks were top notch. Killing Orcs in melee is great fun, and shooting their heads offGreat game, not perfect but a real blast to play. I've been having trouble lately finding a game to keep my attention, and Space Marine does that. the graphics are spectacular. The amount of detail that went into everything from textures, the main models and even units which you only see briefly like tanks were top notch. Killing Orcs in melee is great fun, and shooting their heads off from a distance results in an impressive explosion of blood. Just plain fun.

Problems with the game: There are some levels where they seem to have forgotten to add enemies. There are several levels where you can run for up to a minute without encountering any resistance such as in the living quarters of the manufacturing facility. The game engine has a mechanic device that slows down time to introduce dialogue, you can't run during this period and it's done so that you can talk and absorb info from your fellow space marines, but I also had the game forget to revert back to regular time and only death could reset the problem. I assume this will be fixed in a patch.
  83. Oct 4, 2011
    A good first effort from Relic making an action FPS, their love for the 40k fiction is evident. The campaign is good, the shooting and melee mechanic is fun. I hope they improve the dialog in the next game, it is way to sparse for my liking. These are battle brothers they should be talking to each other all the time. I also knock the for the fact that you can die during unbreakableA good first effort from Relic making an action FPS, their love for the 40k fiction is evident. The campaign is good, the shooting and melee mechanic is fun. I hope they improve the dialog in the next game, it is way to sparse for my liking. These are battle brothers they should be talking to each other all the time. I also knock the for the fact that you can die during unbreakable animation which regenerates your health quickly becomes annoying. Expand
  84. Oct 21, 2011
    Overall a really nice representation of the Warhammer 40K Universe. Some of the material makes more sense to fans of the tabletop game. However the plot seems to drag on sometimes with too many inconsequential objectives before you reach the final goal. I felt it was worth the money, but then I am a fan of the overpriced tabletop game.
  85. Oct 22, 2011
    I really liked this game a lot. The blend of close combat and ranged combat is amazing. If you are a fan of the genre, there is nothing I have seen yet that brings home the feeling of being a Space Marine quite like this game does. I also like the multiplayer with the ability to earn ranks, skills and specialized looks, so why not a 10? Here is why: Single player game is VERY short.I really liked this game a lot. The blend of close combat and ranged combat is amazing. If you are a fan of the genre, there is nothing I have seen yet that brings home the feeling of being a Space Marine quite like this game does. I also like the multiplayer with the ability to earn ranks, skills and specialized looks, so why not a 10? Here is why: Single player game is VERY short. It's so short that you don't even really have time to get creative with the weapons before it's over. If they came out with some expansion material that was inexpensive or free, this game could be a 9 or 10 for me. Expand
  86. Nov 1, 2011
    A linear, though fun game with satisfying combat that is let down by a couple of points. A good feel for what being a Space Marine is like with a story line far more interesting than the poor Ultramarines movie that came out a couple of years ago. The combat is crunchy with a nice heft and weight to the melee options available, it also rewards timing and smart play more than I expected.A linear, though fun game with satisfying combat that is let down by a couple of points. A good feel for what being a Space Marine is like with a story line far more interesting than the poor Ultramarines movie that came out a couple of years ago. The combat is crunchy with a nice heft and weight to the melee options available, it also rewards timing and smart play more than I expected.

The multiplayer is a lot of fun and the addition of co-op is much appreciated. Unfortunately the lack of dedicated servers is the biggest downside to the game. Being unable to start your own server is also a problem.

Overall a fun little game for everyone and a must buy for fans of the 40k setting.
  87. Dec 23, 2011
    Adrenalized gun-play, twisting and weaving plot-lines, overwrought character development and a bombardment of on-screen displays, Warhammer 40K Space Marine is a magnificent piece of art. Game of the year.
  88. Jan 9, 2012
    Amazing game. Combat system is easy to get acuustomed to and a whole lotta fun! The campaign has a great story and the levels have a good difficulty ratio. But the most fun is in the multiplayer hands down! Probably the best multiplayer ive ever played. With the mix of the hack and slash and the range weapons, simply awsome and well executed ! A must have for fans of FPS with a lot ofAmazing game. Combat system is easy to get acuustomed to and a whole lotta fun! The campaign has a great story and the levels have a good difficulty ratio. But the most fun is in the multiplayer hands down! Probably the best multiplayer ive ever played. With the mix of the hack and slash and the range weapons, simply awsome and well executed ! A must have for fans of FPS with a lot of action! the campagin was just about 10hours and ive spend another 20hours playing multiplayer and im still not bored! Awsome game, totally worth it's value. Wait for a sale on steam if you dont wanna pay the 50 dollars ! Expand
  89. Jan 12, 2012
    I Absolutely loved the campaign for this game. The difficulty was perfect you had to look at your surroundings for areas which have good cover or a good spot to have a massive melee brawl. The boss battles were so much fun. They were not really for difficulty they were for pure fun. Gameplay was like a mix of halo and gears of war. You could roll around and it was in 3rd person. InsanelyI Absolutely loved the campaign for this game. The difficulty was perfect you had to look at your surroundings for areas which have good cover or a good spot to have a massive melee brawl. The boss battles were so much fun. They were not really for difficulty they were for pure fun. Gameplay was like a mix of halo and gears of war. You could roll around and it was in 3rd person. Insanely good responsiveness. The multiplayer is where it died. The plasma cannon literally ruined it. Where is the skill in that gun? You charge up and the hit a huge radius killing every enemy in it. Imagine a wraith from halo but with 10times the radius and faster travelling shots. Yeah that was the gun. The hammer i find had the dumbest perk. All it does is makes it stronger. A weapon which can already 1shot now has a much higher chance for oneshotting. I loved the classes. They were balanced. A tactical marine is the counter for an assualt marine/Raptor. the Havoc/Devastator is the counter for the tactical marine. And the raptor is the counter for the Havoc/ devastator. The game lacked in levels. A whole 5levels to play on for 2.5 months. There were no Dedicated servers for the game. I don't have the best internet but it isn't bad. And I was stuck at 3/5 bars the whole time. The game had a good skill level. If you were skilled (Which not to brag but I was better than most) you could easily top the score boards. Exterminatus was realeased and it made the game way to easy. I could go solo and get to wave 9on both arena's and bring home about 15k XP. thus making everyone lvl up super fast and getting rid of low levels. I would reccomend it if you like to play a game for about a month and then drop it and never pick it up again. Expand
  90. Jun 30, 2012
    It very simply never measures up. It's bland, boring, and annoying. It offers absolutely nothing to the 40K fans, and plays like it's 2002. After 9 hours I was happy to uninstall and bemoan my poorly spent monies.
  91. Feb 5, 2012
    Way better then I thought. The Single Player is awesome but no freedom in it, executing an Ork to gain health is awesome. The physics are quite realistic and fun. Multiplayer, however is a different story. Exterminatus is the best feature of multiplayer. You and a group of people (be it your friends or random people) must defend yourself from tons of Orks and capture control points.Way better then I thought. The Single Player is awesome but no freedom in it, executing an Ork to gain health is awesome. The physics are quite realistic and fun. Multiplayer, however is a different story. Exterminatus is the best feature of multiplayer. You and a group of people (be it your friends or random people) must defend yourself from tons of Orks and capture control points. However the Versus mode is quite challenging. I've seen level 2 people with combat knifes fight against level 90 people with thunder hammers, I personally suck at versus but I'm pro with Exterminatus. This is a really good game and is worth it. Expand
  92. Nov 16, 2011
    Enjoyable Single-player, not Oscar material but it fits in with the material its working with, it pretty does what what you would expect from a game like this, it is perhaps on the short side. Multi-player is enjoyable when it works but is sadly much enjoyment is slowly killed off with the very poor p2p match-making, lag is abundent and often leads to mean deaths and miss kills.Enjoyable Single-player, not Oscar material but it fits in with the material its working with, it pretty does what what you would expect from a game like this, it is perhaps on the short side. Multi-player is enjoyable when it works but is sadly much enjoyment is slowly killed off with the very poor p2p match-making, lag is abundent and often leads to mean deaths and miss kills. Multi-player game modes are very limited and not really going outside the normal team deathmatch, flag capture modes which get repative quickly. Overall however the game after a while has little real replay value, once you mastered the Ranks in MP there was little left in SP to justify playing for long periods outside the occasional dibble. Expand
  93. Feb 6, 2012
    If you are a fan of testosterone with a dash of adrenaline you won't be disappointed by this title. Not many games make you feel like a total badass from square one, but this game does it splendidly. Fun combat, impressive visuals and top notch sound work. The only real downside is that it gets a bit repetitive, but in bite size chunks "Space Marine" is a real treat!
  94. Dec 31, 2011
    A very nice action game based to warhammer 40k world. Very nice and smooth gameplay, fantastic graphics, and an epic music. The only negative is that there is not so much different enemies.
    The game has and a very good multiplayer mode but with not too much maps
  95. Feb 21, 2012
    Buy it for the Multiplayer, we have, in our community about 20 people who have the game and on any night, now in Feb 2012, we can shoot out a Steam announcement for the game and play the most awesome MP ever!

Peer to peer isn't ideal but with friends from the same country (Australia in our case) it can hardly be faulted. The visceral, bloody gameplay with the diversity and depth of

The visceral, bloody gameplay with the diversity and depth of weapons and perks makes the game so satisfying. We consider the default DLC to grab, the Chaos Unleashed pack (adds awesome new Exterminatus missions where you kill humans and orcs as Chaos marines) and the Dreadnought pack. But it now, tell your friends, get it cheap www.cdkeyshere.com is GREAT value and trusted site. enjoy
  96. May 24, 2012
    A decent action game and pretty much the only choice if you want a Warhammer 40,000 title in this genre. It's actually quite good for a first-time developer (Relic's merits being from RTS games). Straightforward gameplay with no real flaws, decent if unsurprising campaign. Multiplayer was very active for a month or two and then dwindled away, as it had little content on release. More modesA decent action game and pretty much the only choice if you want a Warhammer 40,000 title in this genre. It's actually quite good for a first-time developer (Relic's merits being from RTS games). Straightforward gameplay with no real flaws, decent if unsurprising campaign. Multiplayer was very active for a month or two and then dwindled away, as it had little content on release. More modes and co-op were added later but too late as most players had moved on. This was a bit disappointing as it could still be lively with better early support. Still worth it at a sale price, IMO. Expand
  97. Sep 8, 2011
    I love this game. It feels like being a Space Marine. The world feels like that of War Hammer 40k. True, there are some repetitive bits and, yes, it would be great to fight more Chaos Marines. But the game still feels so right. It's so true to the source material that it's worth a high rating on that alone.
  98. Sep 7, 2011
    Great game. Weapons feel great, beating enemies to pulp via melee is very satisfying after a long, stressful day, and the environments are stunning. Multiplayer is a lot of fun but unfortunately has only two game modes and a limited number of maps. Hope they'll expand on that via DLC soon.
  99. Sep 10, 2011
    I was expecting this game to be a 7.5 for me, but was pleasantly surprised. The combat is great, the violence is on par with the franchise and we finally get to step into the shoes of our favorite sons of the emperor. Being a Warhammer buff, this game totally hit all the right spots for me. My only gripes are these.

1. Dawn Of War ruined me for anything 40k. The Ultramarines movie and

1. Dawn Of War ruined me for anything 40k. The Ultramarines movie and this aren't scratching my "These men are the emperor's chosen" itch. Ive read the horus heresy books and many of the series from the Black Library and my mental image of these Angels Of Death makes them to be gods. Dawn of War and it's follow ups really did a great job of making you feel epic, to the point of the hair standing on the back of my neck. I got it in the beginning of Space Marine, and at it's ending but that was all. 2. I bought this twice, collector's edition on 360 and a Steam Copy. The steam version i havent beat yet but the difficulty of controlling the aim with a controller makes it almost unplayable as far as the shooter aspects. Mouse and keyboard is the way to go, especially at the last half of the game when it's impossible to be out in the opoen for very long with the Chosen Of Nemeroth raping you with their plasma weapons and chaos trickery.

Other than that, i can't wait for a follow up and the enevitable DLC and will continue playing multiplayer for many hours to come.
  100. Sep 8, 2011
    This is such an awesome game. I had such a great time playing it. I am not the biggest fan of 3rd person shooters or Warhammer 40k, but still had great fun. Good job Relic.

1. Oct 31, 2011
    The campaign requires an interest in 40K, while the basic multiplayer modes are fun for all. [Dec 2011, p.67]
    The only thing rising Space Marine from the grey pool of mediocrity is world of Warhammer 40.000 itself. Rich story background deserved more than a linear hack'n'slash game. [Oct 2011]
  3. Oct 27, 2011
    A solid debut in action genre for Relic and a must-buy for any Warhammer 40k fan. [Nov. 2011, p.61]