6.9

1. Apr 13, 2014
    After purchasing Age of wonders 3 two weeks ago, I'd have to say that it didn't hold my attention as long as i though it would, then I tried Warlock 2 and i was very pleasantly surprised.

There's a wide choice of buildings and units you can work towards, spells and other things, the game looks decent enough and the combat is fun and makes you place and move your units carefully around the map!

I would prefer a tutorial to explain which building do what, and things you need to build first etc.. and I was hoping multiplayerwould have simultaneous turns.

Other than that I am having a lot of fun with the game, and can't wait to see what mods come out for the game.
  2. Apr 13, 2014
    After being quite disappointed with Age of Wonders III and it's cumbersome empire management and UI shortcomings, I have to say that Warlock 2 can evoke the "just one turn" feeling way better for me.
    You are working towards clear goals and have to make meaningful decisions, be it while deciding what to build or how to react to special events that occur regularly. The fights are diverting and tactical even without a separate tactical map.

There are some downsides, though, which prevent me from giving a higher score.
    - Presentation and sound are decent, but could be better, even for an 4x game
    - I've encountered several bugs like weirdly overlapping dialogues, once even of a quest that was already finished. I also seem to be unable to finish a quest where an enemy mage periodically casts terraforming spells on my and my allies domain. The quest where I could spend 1000 gold to stop that is no longer available.
    - The AI could take some improvements
  3. Apr 13, 2014
    Warlock 2: The Exiled is very much the same game as the first one, with marked improvements in nearly every area of the game. While the game seems to me to resemble a standalone expansion pack than a true sequel, it is also the same price as a traditional expansion pack and does not require the first game to play.

With two full new factions and the new Exiled mode, and the easily

With two full new factions and the new Exiled mode, and the easily accessible modding tools, this game will get hundreds of hours of playtime out of me. Not to mention that Paradox and Ino-co are very active on the forums and quick to fix any problems that arise in the game, and implement suggestions from the community regularly.

The only down side I have noticed is the only somewhat improved AI, but that is not the strong point of any strategy game these days so I can't hold that against them too much.
  4. Apr 14, 2014
    A good game, I especially enjoyed the exiled single player mode, where I have to conquer a number of small floating islands before getting to the final "Ardania" island. Each island after the 2nd one has progressively tougher opponents, and having multiple gates between the islands means that on several occasions I found myself fighting on 2-3 fronts. This was both good, and frustrating,A good game, I especially enjoyed the exiled single player mode, where I have to conquer a number of small floating islands before getting to the final "Ardania" island. Each island after the 2nd one has progressively tougher opponents, and having multiple gates between the islands means that on several occasions I found myself fighting on 2-3 fronts. This was both good, and frustrating, as it's easy to get tied into a long stalemate.

The AI is way better than Age of Wonders 2, in my case an enemy AI has backstabbed me twice, and then actually pleaded for peace on multiple occasions. (While Age of Wanders2 opponents never seemed to make any diplomatic deals with me. Whatever I sent them was rejected). So it's good to see diplomacy that's actually works.

In terms of empire management, the new "city limit", which starts at 5 and got to 11 in my case is a two edge sword. For one, it makes cities a lot more important, but later on I found myself wanting to try out different temple units, so I had to get rid of some cities (turn them into free cities) to build temples on holy ground.

Overall, there's plenty of depth in this game, from 5+ nations with different units to the spell research tree to the multiple specialized units from temples.
  5. Apr 20, 2014
    Игра не без минусов, но за неимением достойной альтернативы заслуживает похвалы. Честно говоря за последние пару лет - она, как глоток свежего воздуха для эанра civilization- подобных игр. Символично, что она вышла почти в то же время, что и Age Of Wonders 3 (замечательная игра, про которую я могу сказать то же).Игра не без минусов, но за неимением достойной альтернативы заслуживает похвалы. Честно говоря за последние пару лет - она, как глоток свежего воздуха для эанра civilization- подобных игр. Символично, что она вышла почти в то же время, что и Age Of Wonders 3 (замечательная игра, про которую я могу сказать то же).
  6. Apr 15, 2014
    This game has lot of potential imo...sure it has a few bugs and there are some mechanics that could surely be fixed, but the overall experience is good! I wish the next 4X game would be a mix of Warlock's AI and city/spell management tree with Fallen Enchantress' cloth map and units' design...and maybe the battle mechanics of Age of Wonders 3, which really disappointed me in everythingThis game has lot of potential imo...sure it has a few bugs and there are some mechanics that could surely be fixed, but the overall experience is good! I wish the next 4X game would be a mix of Warlock's AI and city/spell management tree with Fallen Enchantress' cloth map and units' design...and maybe the battle mechanics of Age of Wonders 3, which really disappointed me in everything aside, and is a step back from both Warlock 2 and Fallen Enchantress... Expand
  7. Apr 24, 2014
    Paradox dropped the ball. Anyone who played and loved the original Warlock game did it not for what it was but for what it could be. It's Civilization in a fantasy setting with more streamlined empire building so players can focus on their units and exploration. A perfect concept but the execution was sloppy at best. Paradox had a diamond in the rough.

Sadly, nothing has changed. Some

Sadly, nothing has changed. Some new textures and a game mode is all you get from this latest offering. The army composition and unit balance is still non-existent. The game art and concepts still leaves you with an army and empire that look like a bowl of skittles. The AI is still dumb as a bag of hammers. Clearing creep is still the biggest challenge in the game. It's so disappointing.

Our only hope is that a modder will come along and turn this into a game it's supposed to be. Fortunately Paradox is giving this game modding support.

- x out
  8. Apr 18, 2014
    Ai not being able to negotiate. AI not being able to get past simple terrain obstacles. Units spamming the same lines every time you order them. "Lost caravans" straight up giving end game spells with in the first 10 turns. In-game quest giving spells far more powerfully than anything in the tech trees. Battlemage, in-game items, and special start area gated behind day one dlc. You nameAi not being able to negotiate. AI not being able to get past simple terrain obstacles. Units spamming the same lines every time you order them. "Lost caravans" straight up giving end game spells with in the first 10 turns. In-game quest giving spells far more powerfully than anything in the tech trees. Battlemage, in-game items, and special start area gated behind day one dlc. You name any aspect of 4x games and Paradox **** it up. Expand
  9. Apr 17, 2014
    Warlock 2 is a challenging game and gives a enjoyable experience to players. It's a riveting game to enjoy with friends as its quick paced and easy to understand. Although coming out the exact same time Age Of Wonders 3 did gave it a rocky start as Age of Wonders 3 is also an amazing game but more indepth and requires more patience to play. It really depends on your preferences I purchasedWarlock 2 is a challenging game and gives a enjoyable experience to players. It's a riveting game to enjoy with friends as its quick paced and easy to understand. Although coming out the exact same time Age Of Wonders 3 did gave it a rocky start as Age of Wonders 3 is also an amazing game but more indepth and requires more patience to play. It really depends on your preferences I purchased both games and enjoy them both but Warlock 2 has a skirmish vibe while Age of Wonders 3 has a more campaign feel to it.

This game overall is fun but it will test your skills as you get overwhelmed often. So best of luck on the fields of battle :)
  10. May 8, 2014
    Great game. I loved the original and while the sequel doesn't add all that much.. it is certainly an improvement that I was happy to play through a few times again. Lots of good rpg/strategy army and empire building goodness.
  11. Nov 22, 2014
    A entertaining 4x strategy game with good replayability. The UI scales nicely on a 4K Monitor. Most graphics are very pleasing to the eye but the building icons are bland and should be redone.

A very challenging strategy game that depicts a world of sorcerers and their empires. Civilization with spells? Yes – and it bites hard. [Issue#242]
  2. Jun 5, 2014
    Warlock 2: The Exiled slightly innovates the original game's formula, but it meddles with its strong and weak points to a small extent. The game stays true to its action-oriented style along with content and troop imbalance. However, with the addition of a weird story campaign and especially restrictions that appear, the game gets annoying and spoiled.
  3. May 21, 2014
    Because the focus is on such small groups, distinctive visual design helps reinforce the idea that each piece of your army is special. Ships, lords, and even foot soldiers are remarkably well designed.