Wasteland 2 PC

7.3

1. Sep 21, 2014
    Decent and fun try at Old School RPG - but it lacks serious polish as we're not longer in the old school.

The game is overall quite fun, it's a nice nostalgic trip back to the days of the Fallouts that were Fallouts and not Oblivion with Guns and Mutants, so if you liked those older games - you'll enjoy this one. However there are many issues; not simply bugs but design decisions and

However there are many issues; not simply bugs but design decisions and lack of polish, which scar the playability of the game.
    The issues range from combat situations where range is seriously limited on weapons and the enemy can run as far as you can shoot in one turn and hit you on the head with his club, to other combat issues such as how the NPCs seemingly don't run out of ammo yet you loot no ammo from them.
    Other issues are with how skills are used. Instead of simply using the highest skilled PC automatically - you'll have to select him, select the skill, select the object. Might not be an issue the first hundred times, but it gets bore-some as you have to drudge through ever container you can find to stock up and that means using perception, trap/alarm disarm, lock pick/electronic/safe crack and that's likely spread out over multiple characters. Something that was fine in the 90s and 00s, but even though it's an "old school RPG" we do not need all "old school mechanics". Polish and quality of life features came into existence for a reason.
    The dialogue, and levelling up system is also a bit annoying and again - it gets tiresome because you have to do it over and over and over.

Character creation is what creation is, but the models used aren't that "pretty", so if that's your thing - then it'll cost on the score. It's not for me, so I'm fine with it - but again, I can't help but think that it's 2014 and not 1994. Even if it is a kickstarter game.

But the game does have that nice "wasteland" feeling, combat and questing is otherwise acceptable, and even though bugs exists - I've not found any to be gamebreaking (yet).
    So as mentioned - if the likes of Fallout 1, 2 and/or Tactics grapped you back then - you're likely to enjoy this game, but a masterpiece of score 10 it is not.

7 to 8 because is feels and plays as a solid game. I'm properly leaning a bit more towards 7 than 8 now after having played some more hours because the lack of polish is a grinding factor.
  2. Sep 22, 2014
    This game feels like an appetiser before main dish. I've really tried to enjoy this game(turn-based RPG is very rare bird) but I've continuously felt that something was wrong. So cons:

- Game focuses too much on opening chests mechanics. You have lots of skills just to open chests. And you're finding plenty of chests. With addition of few points-of-view this makes the game a Chest-Finding-and-Opening-Simulator-2014.
    - Character creator. Its just feels so wrong to see 1990s graphics in a character creation. Literally it's 90s.
    - You can't view your armour in the game since your clothes is how you look like. I'm OK with that but give us a diversity! After playing for 20hr I've found few clothing items most of them looks completely the same(brown-black-gray)
    - Fighting mechanics is VERY basic. You can't even lay down and it's not exactly a cover-based game(in many fights you'll have covers just for 2 members). So other members just crouching. That feels very wrong but that comes from another bad game design decision(see next).
    - You can fire 2 bullets or cover big distance running. So I imagine it's easier to pull a trigger 2 times than run 25 meters? Nope. Both take the same AP amount. So enemy melee will be right before you nose in 1 turn. No point of laying down.
    - One enemy without visible armour can eat a LOT of bullets. And that guy doesn't even have a t-shirt.
    - Dialogs for different NPCs under the same quest line are pretty much the same. "Who is Sergeant Dickson?", "How do you feel about Sergeant Dickson?" - prepare to ask such questions a lot.

And there's many more unpolished things.

Pros:
    + Lots of skills and most of them are used frequently.
    + Big maps
    + Attempt to "make it right"
    + Lots of words in dialogs(for those who like reading)

Overall:
    Unpolished and with horrible 3d(I would much prefer pretty 2D). Why couldn't developer play some classics like Jagged Alliance 2 before making such horrible fighting system?
  3. Sep 22, 2014
    A rather nice game, plagued by a ton of small bad game design decisions. Together those decisions make the game a chore to play, you feel rather limited in your possibilities... and we're talking about an RPG here! Some examples:

You can't go stealth... it's a shame, but ok I can live with that. Underground locations are quite confusing, piled up with stuff and you can't really

You can't go stealth... it's a shame, but ok I can live with that.

Underground locations are quite confusing, piled up with stuff and you can't really understand what's happening down there: the AG center is such a mess you'll have a hard time looking for your own party members amidst all that junk.

Mobs drop random stuff without logic: a guy shots you with a grenade launcher, you kill him and... you find a shotgun on him.

Graphics are good for a low budget game, but then you'll find that such graphics are not optimized: sometimes I play with a gaming laptop that runs Assassin's Creed IV at the highest details at a solid 60fps, but I have to play Wasteland 2 with low details.

But there are more issues at hand.

I was a backer, but I'm also highly disappointed with the result.
  4. Sep 22, 2014
    Its a game with mixed feelings, in short, is its far from what you would expect from the creator of Fallout1,2. Even when you compare it to other small budget kickstarter games such as Divinity Original Sins, it does not deliver half of the fun you would have.

I played the early access and was expecting the final game is better, but its not. I am very, deeply disappointed. I enjoyed

I enjoyed the post-apocalypse settings of the game, it has some smart writings.

However, the graphic is really meh, even for Unity, they are not using it to its full potential I guess. Characters models really hurt my eyes. And it doesnt even change according to the armor you wear.

Combat is boring and simplified, it just doesnt give you the satisfaction of fallout. Most cases that you are forced to use melee in order to save ammo instead of letting you play the way you want.

main story is short and often lack of orientation, I really got lost in the railroad nomad camp. Some of the dialog are just too long and does not give you a better insight.

Gameplay-wise the player perks are redundant such as smart ass, kiss ass and hard ass. Also you need 3 "lock picking" skills to open different boxes is just BS why make a differentiation for Toaster, Safe and locked boxes??
    And I really dont get the part where you can type keywords in a conversation.
  5. Sep 20, 2014
    I really wanted to like this game, but it's only okay.

I really wanted to like this game, but it's only okay.

There is no reason to lie to the player, and the critical failure rates are outright lies (as are the success rates for skills). There is no reason for every other box you find to have a bomb strapped to it. That's idiotic. Resources are supposed to be scarce. Where is everyone getting all this TNT? (To safeguard their scrap and broken gray level junk, no less).

The game also seems obsessed with wasting the player's time. Skills that you click take a long time to complete, for no gameplay reason but to annoy.

I strongly suggest anyone reading this review to wait for a sale.
  6. Sep 22, 2014
    While this game has a decent story, the RPG mechanics and lack of polish are a turn off in the long run.

The good: post apocalyptic setting in the southwest US, similar to Fallouts. A group based game, decent story, initially some gameplay choices (which town to save), some hidden caches and encounters on the map. The bad: Initially the bad things arent very obvious, but they start

The bad: Initially the bad things arent very obvious, but they start to grind at you and after several hours of play they become really apparent.

RPG system is a joke. Most of the "Attributes" are dump stats, and every single ranger should have 10 int, because it controls skill points per level AND action points, the rest in 4 strength and whatever else in other stat that controls AP. There are no stat checks in dialogues or skill uses. A charisma 1 character with 6 in dialogue skills would pass most dialogue checks. A strength 1 character with 6 brute force will break all fences. The difference between weapon skill of 5 and weapon skill of 6 is about 6%chance to hit and 4% crit chance, which is far more than any other stat will give you.

Random encounters - horrendous copy/paste. You will be fighting the SAME group of 3 bandits x11hp each, then 3 bandits at 80-125hp each, then 3 bandits and a dog for a very long time. Random encounters like "Dangerous raiders" pop up every 30 sec on the map, and without having outdoorsman to avoid them, it would be a very frustrating gameplay experience to load them all.

Each random encounter drops 100% identical loot - no joke, first 38mm semiautomatic, then M4. To add an instult to an injury, each random encounter map is a variation of a "corridor with a single cover object in the middle"- typically one car on a highway, and you are lucky if you can run up to it.

Enemies do not have levels, they are copy/paste versions of each other, just with different hp - starts at 11-15-20, then rapidly jumps to 80, 125 and 150

Enemy AI - the worst I've yet to see in a "Tactical RPG" game. There are some nice "tactical" environments in game, but they go to waste because enemies spot you at 25 meters away and instantly aggro everyone within 60 meters or so. The very first turn every single enemy runs point blank to your characters, covering the same 25-30 meters.

It's ridiculous to see a "Heavy Gunner" slowly stroll across the screen and end up standing 3meters from your sniper. Dreadfulness of AI does not stop there - like in other Unity games, it fails to focus fire a single character, instead a melee monster would run up, bite one character, move, bite another, move, bite another.

The game does have random Radio banter, but it dies out after 45 min of travelling the map or so, and you are walking over a dead silent map, clicking "Run" to the same random encounters (or farming them for the same items over and over again).

There are vast jumps in power levels between weapons that use the same ammo. So much in fact, that at any given time your choices of weapons is absolutely certain - you will not be using a 6-10 damage M4 when 14-25 or so Famas becomes available. You will not be using Famas when 30-45 M16 becomes available.

Do you like Critical Hit mechanics? I do, but on top of critical hits, Wasteland has "Jamming" chance, which ranges between 9%-3% for most guns, so between 5-6 characters, shooting twice a round, it is very likely that at least one of your shooters will have a gun jammed each round, which is ridiculously frustrating after it happens again and again and again and again, ad nauseum.

Overall the game has potential, but needs another 6 months to be polished.

PS. It's ridiculous to see a 50$ DLC on day one. I've NEVER seen a 50$ DLC in any game...
  7. Sep 22, 2014
    I did not back this game, I did not wait for it. I haven't even heard about it and its predecessor. But I am a huge fan of quality games of all genres and tactical strategies are no exception. I've noticed this game a few days before its release and was excited to try it out, having read about the Fallout feel and all.

Well, I was severely disappointed by the game itself. It certainly

Well, I was severely disappointed by the game itself. It certainly has some appealing things, but most of the time it's just boring, slow fights again and again and poor level design. You always have to go back numerous times, picking this and that, hacking, breaking and so on. First couple of hidden chest locations were fun to memorise, but it became really tedious after the count reached 10.

Now this one is up to personal taste, but I really think that RNG system in hacking/picking locks/disarming alarms/etc. is bad for any gamer who's obsessed with exploration and collecting things. I instantly started abusing quicksave-quickload if I didn't lockpick something successfully. Would be much better if there just was a skill threshold, in my opinion. As soon as your skill was above it, you could lockpick chests of lower level and so on.
  8. Sep 20, 2014
    This game is slow in every possible way that a game can be. The maps are too big and empty (putting dozens of (sometimes hidden) locked containers out there is not my understanding of a living world), i.e, there is too much running (and backtracking) around. The fights feel ALWAYS the same. It does not matter whether you are level 1 or level 20 there is no change.On top, there are just toThis game is slow in every possible way that a game can be. The maps are too big and empty (putting dozens of (sometimes hidden) locked containers out there is not my understanding of a living world), i.e, there is too much running (and backtracking) around. The fights feel ALWAYS the same. It does not matter whether you are level 1 or level 20 there is no change.On top, there are just to many of them for no reason but prolong the play time. I am completely disappointed by the combat system and the leveldesign. More content on each map or less maps with the combined content of several maps and a combat system alike to Jagged Alliance 2 or even X-COM would have increased the user experience dramatically. However, some gamereview state that Wasteland 2 is first a RPG and only second a turned based strategy game. Yet, the rpg part cannot convince me either. Skill increase means that your chances increase for lockpicking, hitting, hacking etc. but the gameplay does not change, with exception to dialog based skills. While new weapons do increase the damage output, other loot like new armor (that has an some use other than new looks) does not really exist, similar to Mass Effect 2.
    True, the dialogs are great, the choices have severe impacts which is always nice for multiple playthroughs. But the tedious level design and the unnecessary often and boring fights interrupt the otherwise interesting story or sidequests, which already make my first run unenjoyable.

I can only recommend this game to fans or people who like mindless grinding and backtracking for about 3/4 of the game just to see some hours of real RPG gameplay. Instead of creating a 50+ game, which game mechanism just don't fit the developers should have focused on a more dense, more capturing world by improving the combat system and reducing the size of the maps.
  9. Sep 19, 2014
    Wasteland 2 targets a very specific gamer. If you are old enough or curious enough to have enjoyed the original Wasteland this is a must have. For the vast the majority reading this that don't fit into the former category there is a great game here. However, you must have an affinity to old-school game mechanics and not be afraid to read a lot of text. If that bothers you, or if youWasteland 2 targets a very specific gamer. If you are old enough or curious enough to have enjoyed the original Wasteland this is a must have. For the vast the majority reading this that don't fit into the former category there is a great game here. However, you must have an affinity to old-school game mechanics and not be afraid to read a lot of text. If that bothers you, or if you must have cutting edge graphics you are better off skipping this tile. On the other hand, if you are looking for a deep, engaging and huge RPG to sink your time into (and it will take a lot of your time) your wait is over.

It's dark, challenging, frustrating at times and completely enjoyable but it's not for everyone. The graphics and sound are passable and the mechanics are antiquated but this game is laser focused on a certain demographic. I feel that this demographic is gamers that are well over 30 and have the time to invest in something like Wasteland 2 - probably why this was only possible through a Kick-starter campaign. I fit this demographic and am having a blast with it. If you fit it as well, you'll be well served by dropping 40 bucks on Steam for this one.

I'd go as far as 9/10 if the graphic engine was akin to Divinity : Original Sin but I take a point because as good as this game is so far (I have NOT completed it yet, obviously) the graphics leave a bit to be desired.

I think a lot of reviewers will make mention of Divinity : Original Sin in their review of Wasteland 2 - it just makes sense to compare the two. If you could only play one of the two, as much as it pains me to say it, I would recommend Divinity. It pains me because I adore everything Brian Fargo has done and Wasteland 2 is terrific, but it does suffer a bit in the graphic department. Divinity : Original Sin 9/10 Wasteland 2 8/10.
  10. Sep 21, 2014
    The game is tedious. It seems like every time shaver the old classics had were removed. There is no fast travel between previously visited areas (will add hours on to completion time). There is no local area map interaction, no point of interest markers, no labels, no "click to view or travel" option. Your local area map is a screenshot. Period.

The graphics are 10 years old (I'm being

The graphics are 10 years old (I'm being generous). The character models are ugly as sin and appearance options really are not noticeable while on the map. Open the character screen you'll be greeted by your guy, with forearms that are a foot too long, legs that don't match torso scaling, and head models that remind you that inbreeding is still a thing.

The basic mechanics are okay. The game is very hipster~ish, in that it wants to be complicated just for the sake of being complicated. Hardcore fans will like it. Kickstarters will either madly love or burn with loathing. The Average Joe? Meh.
  11. Sep 19, 2014
    Wasteland 2 has the dna of it's ancestor Wasteland 1. It pulls no punches, and it promises nothing else but delivering an old-school rpg(which to me is a real rpg but nonetheless) set in a dark and unforgiving universe. Minor bug aside,the game delivers on amazing content. That RwMW guy has no idea what he's taking about,and if you go in expecting a game like fallout 3, well, there's someWasteland 2 has the dna of it's ancestor Wasteland 1. It pulls no punches, and it promises nothing else but delivering an old-school rpg(which to me is a real rpg but nonetheless) set in a dark and unforgiving universe. Minor bug aside,the game delivers on amazing content. That RwMW guy has no idea what he's taking about,and if you go in expecting a game like fallout 3, well, there's some really awesome land I want to sell you. Expand
  12. Sep 27, 2014
    I really gave the game several tries. Most rpg games get me hooked over night, I was literally forcing myself to keep playing this game. It just doesn't feel right.
    - Unreadable messy graphics. You can see that they've spent a lot of time modelling each small detailed object, but overall look of the world is a total pixel mess. Fallout 1 was delivering better picture.
    -Weird game

-Weird game design. There is indeed tons of dialogues in game but most of them are so boring and nonsense to read. Quests are boring "fed ex boy" running style.

-Combat system is a complete disaster. Enemy can run up close to a sniper which have started the fight from the maximum 30-40 meters. Sniper can get a dynamite thrown at him in a same 1st turn of the battle.
    No ways to spend more AP for better aid like (Jagged Alliance), no ways to aim to specific parts.
    Yes they've added a head shot feature which turned out completely useless.

P.S. the most pity fact of all this situation that developers will continue to cry that it is impossible to develop such games due to the lack of support and interest from gamers.
    While other non casual indies with Prison Architect and Minecraft make millions $.
  13. Sep 21, 2014
    What can I saw, the myth the legand is here..finally a good turn based combat game! Guns, swords, high explosives, locks, combats, exploration...

So where do I start first of all, I think whomever designed this game needs to sit down in front of Jagged Alliance (1 or 2), or many of the other GOOD turn based strategy combat games for a solid week or 2. It is appallingly apparent they did not. Mistake that were made 20 years ago, are coming back to haunt this genre once again and it is infuriating.

Destructible cover, in a cover based game, CHECK
    Unable to aim at the destructible cover, UNCHECK, and cancelled the previous thing they did good
    Cover mechanics, as like they went into a grade school and got the kids there to help them design it, simplistic and as a result terrible, no bonuses for stand near cover or inbetween cover, only if you are actively ducking behind the cover, no 25% for partial, and as far as I could tell no better than 50%, or worse than 50%. As mentioned before I had a piece of cover get shot and destroyed (a wood box), and that was neat but unable to actually aim at the box (with a 70% chance to hit, and instead forced to aim at a 20% behind the box is insulting).
    No lying down, to shoot/aim/cover, especially say what you might want to do from a rooftop.

Loading ammo in my secondary weapon?! Who would want to do that that's dangerous just leaving weapons loaded!! Seriously, this belongs in a beta bug category, weapons in primary slot are auto loaded (so they thought of it), weapons equipped secondary aren't loaded. How was this not spotted and fixed the first day of the Alpha?!?

They make other spotted design choices that although I don't agree with 100% myself I won't fault them for, healing while time passes moving overland, or the ability to camp and heal some, was removed/never put in. Ok fine, only way to heal is to buy all the shops in the game out of healing equipment, guess it forces you to spend all your hard earned money.

The apparent lack of if one of your main 4 dies, to go back and recruit a new main character, play the rest of the game with more NPC's I suppose, or just quicksave more often.. (sigh). No-one find a game fun that you have to quicksave before every combat, because then you don't live with bad luck or bad choices, because once your forced to reload once, then you start to use it twice and 3 times, and next thing you know it's a crutch/habit you're using all the time and it makes the game boring and silly.

Overall the game appears to have some story in it, and what not that is enjoyable, the meat and potatoes of the game the turn based fighting however, just devolves into a quicksaved slugfest where you don't give a **** because if someone dies, you reload and get luckier next time.

Overall score 5/5, maybe worth getting on sale.
  14. Sep 19, 2014
    Isometric RPG's are back. If you have fond memories of the original Wasteland or Fallout 1 & 2 then this game is up your alley. The combat is solid, the writing is great and the atmosphere is immersive. Wandering the desert and looking death in the eye has never been so fun.

Not the best looking character models and graphics but this is so minor. Buy this game! Does have some bugs but nothing game breaking. Mostly minor annoyances.
  15. Sep 19, 2014
    An excellent homage to the original Wasteland and a very enjoyable experience in its own right. To those comparing this to Fallout 3 - you're doing it wrong.
  16. Sep 23, 2014
    It's my own fault for reading only positive reviews and being seduced by the constant references to Fallout by users and major review sites. That combined with the general air of positivity at the game's release caused me to by the game on impulse, since I absolutely loved Fallout 1 & 2.

That mistake is on me. I'm not denying that. But people, please, PLEASE stop comparing this

That mistake is on me. I'm not denying that.

But people, please, PLEASE stop comparing this game to Fallout 1 & 2. Please stop saying things like it's "the true Fallout 3."

It's not. It's not even close. It lacks any and all of Fallout's whimsical charm, it forces you to create a squad at the beginning instead of striking out on a lonely, eerie struggle.

Moreover, the game feels like it's high on its own supply. Overhyped, oversold, generally just not ideal for someone who wants an original Fallout experience. There's a big difference between this super serious, staid setting and the wacky retro-future of Fallout.

Honestly, this is like a better verison of Fallout: Tactics at the end of the day. I'm not saying this is a bad game, it's just extremely misleading to compare it to the original Fallout titles. It is NOT like them. No traits, no perks, no color or humor. Not enough attribute and skill points at the beginning for an individual character, since you're supposed to make four. There's no room for character development or finding your own identity. The very first conversation, I'm pushed into saying "sir" constantly and being a military recruit. Maybe I don't WANT to join the rangers.

Maybe I want to just run out into the wilderness or find a city hub and just make my own path - like I did in Fallout.

I realize everyone is different. But part of the reason I loved Fallout was that my companions had their own minds and I didn't have to micromanage them constantly. It ended up creating hilarious (and sometimes awful) situations in which my companions surprised me in combat. Overall, it was more immersive (to me) because I was focused entirely on my own character, instead of mysteriously mind-controlling a group.

Overall, it's hard to say whether or not I recommend the game. I know some people will love it. But I can't get over the vast disappointment after I was lead to believe, from literally everyone, that this is like Fallout. It's not. Fallout, in my opinion, is way more fun. Mechanically, aesthetically, and otherwise.

Just one woman's point of view. Take it or leave it.
  17. Sep 22, 2014
    Wasteland 2 has the potential to be a great game. The character design has depth and the idea of team building and skill management is excellent. I only wish that the game is more polished. From the awkward camera angles to a lack of quest aid the player the game is quite frustrating to play especially for newer players.
  18. Sep 19, 2014
    The second big release in the kickstarted-funded renaissance of old-school CRPGs (the first one being Divinity: Original Sin). And what a glorious release it is!

It's like Fallout 1 and XCOM got married and had a baby. Some people will probably hear that and expect the baby of Fallout 3 and Mass Effect. They will be sorely disappointed. But that is fine. It's an old-school type CRPG. The genre isn't for everyone. It doesn't hold hands or kiss away boo-boos. It's hard. It punishes your mistakes. It forces you to read a lot, and to think even more. It's an acquired taste, but one worth acquiring.

So far, I've described any old-school CRPG What sets Wasteland 2 apart--and you won't notice it until you either replay the game or reload an older save game--this game diverges A LOT. You're not stuck on a railroad where at best you get to occasionally select between the GoodGuy™ and EvilDoer™ dialogue option but none of that matters because you end up doing roughly the same thing none the less. Instead, your actions (or lack thereof) have very real consequences, leading to very different experiences of the game.

The graphics, UI and sound effects can occasionally be a bit rough around the edges, but it doesn't honestly detract too much from the game. Also worth noting is the quality of the ambient music/sounds, greatly adds to the atmosphere of the game.
  19. Sep 19, 2014
    A bit rough around the edges, but that's to be expected with such a small team and on such an amazingly limited budget. I expect the game's post-launch support to address that. A better way to say it is that the game is a miracle considering the depth of its content and given its small team and minuscule budget. I still have a bit to go, but I have seen enough content and played aroundA bit rough around the edges, but that's to be expected with such a small team and on such an amazingly limited budget. I expect the game's post-launch support to address that. A better way to say it is that the game is a miracle considering the depth of its content and given its small team and minuscule budget. I still have a bit to go, but I have seen enough content and played around with the game's system enough to rate this an absolute success. If you enjoy CRPGs, this is a "can't miss" for you. Expand
  20. Sep 25, 2014
    I revised my score from a 4 to a 1 (after digging through the game-code)

I revised my score from a 4 to a 1 (after digging through the game-code)

1. Attribute system is a joke. Take for example charisma, there is no difference from a charisma 1 player to a charisma 10 player (this does not affect dialogue options or anything else you would expect). All it does is change the radius of your "leadership" skill (which you need to spec into) and how much XP you gain. Other attributes are plagued with the same problem. They are "dump" stats, the only one you need to focus on is intelligence as it affects your Action Points and Skill Points, and then coordination if you want to use guns or strength if you want to melee, everything else can be set at 1, because they don't actually do anything substantial (unlike fallout)

2. Mechanics are broken, things like "initiative" don't actually do anything.

3. Combat is broken, the enemies are programmed to rush your characters. When one is alerted, everyone near him will then run all the way across the map and stand next to you to attack (every single time and on their first turn, it's how they were coded)

4. Random events are broken. You will get attacked when wondering the map, except it is always the same fight !! you will be fighting the same 3 enemies on the same map in each random event. At higher levels, you will get a "feral dog" added to the fight. They will have the same items on them which only changes with your level.

5. Skill system is horrendous. You are juggling back and forth between characters for simple progression. The perception skill for example is not passive (or tied with an attribute), you need to spec into it as a skill. Then you need to activate that skill on a character and use them to search an area, that's when you change over to someone who can disarm traps and then unlock gates or safe crack etc. You are doing this all the time, especially if you didnt max intelligence as you just wont have the skill points to invest in skills.

Those are some of the major problems with combat and technical skills, then you have the conversional skills, there are 3 of them and they all do the same thing (just with different words). The outcome of each conversational option is coded the same. There are no "dialogue trees", your options dont change how the conversion will play out. You simply click the "next" button to get the next piece of information, and if you have a conversational skill, you could get some extra loot / text to read or avoid combat. Remember the attribute system is a joke? You can have a charisma 1 player who is the smoothest sweet talker in the wasteland because they maxed sweet talking (with all those skills points they got from intelligence), while a charisma 10 player will have no skills to invest in anything and as such, cant pass any conversional checks. It's the complete opposite to Fallout.

6. Graphics. I can go back and play Fallout 1, 2 and Tactics. They look good and are well animated. Wasteland's graphics are cheap and most importantly, poorly animated (look half finished) Things such as armor don't even change. What you create at the start is how you will look.

7. In Fallout, your actions changed events in the game. Your dialogue options changed things. In this game, you are just reading a novel in each city and then have some badly programmed combat sequences, rinse and repeat.

8. Dead-lifeless world. In fallout (baldurs gate etc) you felt like you were in a world. You had interesting NPCs that could join you, there were amazing cities to explore etc. In this game, you are one person (spread out across 4 different people) and you simply go from map to map, read the novel provided and then complete the combat sequence. There is no life or character to the cities or people in them. I can still remember lines and characters from fallout etc, because they had life in them. This game is DEAD and hollow inside. There is some "radio banter" as you travel the wasteland which livens things up, but that stops after about 30 minutes on the map, and then it is just silence. Read the novel, do the combat sequence.

This game is smoke and mirrors. That's how it was coded. It's like one of those cheap Chinese "warcraft" clones that you see from time to time.
  21. Sep 19, 2014
    Pure old-school RPG experience!
    Chargen is horrible although, they really should make hi-res version of all characters for inventory/char-gen window. But it's so unimportant, when you understand, that you gonna play WASTELAND!
    When I was a boy - my first PC game was Fallout 1. Now I have kids of my own - and I'm proud that I can show them Wasteland 2. My score is 10 - really 9, but due
    Pure old-school RPG experience!
    My score is 10 - really 9, but due to this '2-score-newbie' I put 10)
    Good luck Brian Fargo - buy yourself another Ferrari - You really deserve it)
  22. Sep 19, 2014
    Finally a true post-apocalyptic game here. Yes there are bugs, but hopefully they patch it quickly. I played Alpha to release now, and I highly recommend the game. it’s worth your attention
  23. Sep 19, 2014
    It is pretty simple, if you have memories of spending hours in front of a glowing computer screen trying to prevent dog meat from committing suicide, you will love this game. If on the other hand, you are only familiar with fallout since it was an fps you will very likely be unhappy with the game. As an old school fan myself I really could not have asked for more!
  24. Sep 19, 2014
    I thought it would be impossible for a better RPG than Divinity Original Sin to come out this year. Boy was I wrong. Both games are spectacular, but I felt the party mechanics were better in Wasteland 2. Add to that the compelling storylines, massive locations, and sprawling length of the game, and this is clearly a game that should be on everyone's radar. The combat was simple but tense,I thought it would be impossible for a better RPG than Divinity Original Sin to come out this year. Boy was I wrong. Both games are spectacular, but I felt the party mechanics were better in Wasteland 2. Add to that the compelling storylines, massive locations, and sprawling length of the game, and this is clearly a game that should be on everyone's radar. The combat was simple but tense, very effective. It is reminiscent of the XCOM enemy unknown in it's simplicity and potential for disaster. The factions were a blast to get to know, and there are certainly moments as memorable as Fallout 3's underground vampire cult, society of ghouls, or mutant village. Some of the factions were shockingly original. Overall, this is a game that I had a blast playing. I would recommend it to any fan of the original Wasteland games, any Fallout games, or any crpgs. There's something here for everyone. Expand
  25. Sep 19, 2014
    Born into high expectations, raised into legendary status. Straight up: If you like games in general, you should not waste a second and buy this. No, seriously, stop reading, click on "add to cart" and spend your money.

This is the best game of its kind for todays expectations. Period.

Have a nice day.
  26. Sep 19, 2014
    Great RPG..
    I've played only for 4 hours... but I feel that this game will keep me interested for lot of hours :)
    I'm trying to receive as much as it's possible from this game.
  27. Sep 20, 2014
    This one is simple: if you are looking for a modern, cinematic RPG experience like Mass Effect or The Witcher, this is not the game you want.

What this is is pretty much Fallout 3 if it hadn't gone the "Oblivion with guns" way. If you like old RPGs like the original Fallouts or Baldur's Gate, you'll probably enjoy it.
  28. Sep 20, 2014
    Great game !!!!! I love the fight, humor, characters it's like spiritual son of Fallout 1 and 2

great great Crpg here you can obiously buy it, patchs comming !
  29. Sep 19, 2014
    Good game. I backed this early on, and then left it the hell alone until they were pretty much done with it. I find the gameplay and combat to be solid with good options and tactics. The game is a bit slow to start, and the story takes a bit of time to ramp up, but once it does, it definitely gets exciting.

I would say the game is comparable to something like the new XCOM games, or

I would say the game is comparable to something like the new XCOM games, or Fallout Tactics. So if you like those sorts of games, this is for you. LOT of options for character creation, and huge replay value as a lot of what you do can significant alter the plot of the game later on.

I gave it a 9/10 for really only one reason. The character model graphics are awful. I mean really... really awful... I just don't understand why they couldn't have put a bit more effort into them. But then again, Gameplay>Graphics so, enjoy. Maybe someone will come out with a mod that makes the character models not suck.
  30. Sep 21, 2014
    World've gone mad. Abomination of a game Diablo III got critic score of 90 and 8.1 user score and wonderful and clever old school RPG Wasteland 2 just 79 and 7.2! WTF?! Hell with critics, but user score of 7.2? What’s wrong with you people?! The game is excellent. Clever script, dark humor, exploration, great battles, sweet sense of nostalgia in every gameplay second. Fallout, Arcanum,World've gone mad. Abomination of a game Diablo III got critic score of 90 and 8.1 user score and wonderful and clever old school RPG Wasteland 2 just 79 and 7.2! WTF?! Hell with critics, but user score of 7.2? What’s wrong with you people?! The game is excellent. Clever script, dark humor, exploration, great battles, sweet sense of nostalgia in every gameplay second. Fallout, Arcanum, Jagged Alliance, Planescape were true masterpieces. And now we have Wasteland 2. Thank god for that. Expand
  31. Sep 25, 2014
    First of all - I did not expect from Wasteland 2 that game be continuer of deeds of Fallout game series. But I expect from inXile Entertainment and Brian Fargo with team of great developers of the past as minimum attention to game, to details. And if this game include itself a term - tactical game, I assume that game must be tactical.

What type of things can be named as tactical in game

What type of things can be named as tactical in game if:
    Almost all enemies can cross the battlefield in one turn?
    If starting tactical positions does not matter, because... (see first question)
    If each battle just a "rumble" where very rare types of enemies start a distant fight?
    Where AI of enemies binary - "0" is patrol, "1" is run to enemies and hit.
    No ambush, no tactical retreats, no flank operations, no distant fights.

What's the tactics, where best weapon is "wrench" or "tube". In one interview Brian Fargo say that Wasteland 2, in principle are Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel with more freedom and free world. Absolutely not. FT:BOS is more tactical game than Wasteland in each piece of game. You can do it ambushes, you can shot in the prone position. You can use relief. You can make distant fight. And more-more-more over this opportunities.

I do not want to tell about bugs, because on the starting of sales, games usual have a lot of bugs. I want tell about style of game. I mean art style. You know that Brian Fargo invited Andrée Wallin "to help craft the world of Wasteland". But you can't find hand of this talented artist nowhere except production art and few detailed portraits. All other stuff looks horrible. Just horrible. Or poor. And the justification of this fact is the voting which was earlier. Where players - choose "We want more large world and game" than "we want graphics as in Crisis."

I think that this is incredible manipulation from the side of developers. Because no one thinking gamer never choose the graphics before game and gameplay. Does that mean that if the players choose the Game, the developers can do nothing with the Art and the Style of the Game? Not. Normal developer take care of your player. And gives him two things. Give the gamer all things. And the game. And the style. And the beauty. There are no stupid polls to know "what really want gamer?". You know answer mr. Fargo. Gamer always want all. And first of all - game. Game included all components. You cannot drop one, because somebody say - is not important.

So... here I can see "Tactic" game without real Tactic, and game without Style (Art-Style and attention to details). This monolog can leak long time. But I stop my claims. Because lot of news resources give to this pile - highest ratings and gamers too give this pile highest rate. So... I think that games of this type - thats is what we all deserve. If we silent, if we blind - we receive only thinks like this.
    I'm not told that game is bad. I say - this is not a tactical game, and this is not beauty game. My personal rate is, roughly speaking 4 of 10, or 35-40 or 100. But not as doing mass media. "Legend! Great style! If you love Fallout this game for you! Pearl of Kickstarter". Stop making this. You sing the songs for person of Brian Fargo, not for the game. If this game did not Brian Fargo - you would not notice this game at all.

What you say, gamers? "Amazing combat system?", "Ideal Style?", "Beautiful artwork?", "Charming graphics?". Even raw demo of Van Buren of 2003th, which was produced almost 11 years ago looks more beauty and stylish. Brian Fargo in his twitter write about disappointment about review of Joystiq news source, and about low ratings of this review. He really thinks that Wasteland 2 deserve all of this high ratings? All of this world thinks that this... is masterpiece?

Where is the next stop? I have to get off the train.

Only few people in world of news make a real reviews. Make a real rate for this game. And I want say - Thank You. Thank you that you rate games, regardless person who create this game. Thank you Joystiq and VideoGamer. Thank you Earnest Cavalli and Jamie Trinca.
  32. Sep 21, 2014
    For every true fan of the crpgs this is a must. I am glad that isometric rpgs are having a comeback. Not everything in this world is graphics. Deep story and meaningfull ganeplay is all that matters.
  33. Sep 19, 2014
    Meh. This game is a big Meh. It's far from being a Fallout game, it's more like Fallout Tactics in that it's lacking a lot of the stuff that made Fallout great, while concentrating on the combat.
    Its production values are cheap, as well.
    Its production values are cheap, as well.

The character models are atrocious and look like they came straight out of the year 2000. Also, armors don't show on your characters, as they have set look you decide at character creation and you're stuck with it the whole game.

The story is very cliche and dull and is revealed from the first hour of the game. Once again Fallout Tactics comes to mind, as the main story is practically the same.

It's an average game that you shouldn't miss if you're a fan of RPGs, but don't expect to see a blast from the past in the form of a new Fallout game or some mind blowing story with interesting twists, it's not that good.
  34. Sep 19, 2014
    This game is sooo amazing.. Like seriously amazing.. There are no down sides.. call me a fan boy I love it.

I reminds me of the old Baldurs Gate / Fallout games.. Wasteland 1 was before my time.. but after all the horse **** we call RPG's lately.. this is probably the best game I have played since Skyrim.. (Not that they have anything in common).. If your on steam and choosing

If your on steam and choosing between Wasteland 2 or Risen 3 or Sacred 3.. I hope for your sake you pick this.. Don't be fooled by the unit engine or isometric style.. I promise you this is the best RPG to come out in a long time.
  35. Sep 21, 2014
    As someone who grew up on some of the great cRPGs, I have felt no other game has come closer to recapturing the best features of them, and I have always had a soft spot for squad management. So if you love cRPGs or squad TBS, you can't go wrong with this game.
  36. Sep 19, 2014
    One of the best CRpg out there!
    Amazing plot, characters and combat system.
    Very dark, very funny, very mature!

If you like RPG's - don't miss this classic game!

37. Sep 21, 2014
    Disclaimer: Kickerstart funder here.

Disclaimer: Kickerstart funder here.

As someone who's helped fund several games/albums/art on Kickerstarter I'll say that I've become jaded with any project I've funded. Time after time I keep getting disappointed by projects that fail to deliver. It might be never released, completely different than what was pitched, or just complete crap. Thankfully this game doesn't fall into ANY of those. This game is awesome.

If you like mindless games, this isn't for you. You have to think about things from the moment you start. You have to think about how you play to best setup your team. You have to think about how you're going to approach your latest encounter, and you can't always take the same approach. It varies quite a bit.

If you don't like to read, this game might not be for you. There is a LOT of story here. Most of it is told in text. While there is a good amount of voice acting, it won't give you everything.

If you like RPGs, especially those that make you think, then this game is for you. It's great.
  38. Sep 21, 2014
    +Character customizaiton.
    +Story
    +Weapon Customizations. +Lots of weapons and items +Sounds in background. +Atmosphere ------ - Out-Dated Graphics - No details in graphics. - Killing Camera Angle and Clumsy Camera Movements - You can't hide walls which sometimes become problematic in combat or while wandering. - Dull combat animations. - Some technical optimization
    +Character customizaiton.
    +Story
    +Weapon Customizations.
    +Lots of weapons and items
    +Sounds in background.
    +Atmosphere

------

- Out-Dated Graphics
    - No details in graphics.
    - Killing Camera Angle and Clumsy Camera Movements
    - Dull combat animations.
    - Some technical optimization problems.
    - Game size is too huge for this game.(30GB)
    - No vocalization for NPCs.

Good game but not a masterpiece. My score: 5
  39. Sep 20, 2014
    I must be dead and I am in heaven.... First Divinity: Original Sin, now Wasteland 2. Old-school RPG lovers should not miss this one. Epic battles, difficult encounters, engaging story. A must-buy for everyone who likes this genre.
  40. Sep 19, 2014
    Create your crew from look to skills, traverse a VERY open world and make choices the way you want...expect consequences though. From having a lead scientist kick you out of a facility to an entire town attacking you...or you can be the good guy...boring.

This game is exactly what an RPG should be. Unfortunately, "New RPG's" are nothing more than action games with more options than old action games. If you like real RPG's, you'll love Wasteland 2. If you think that Fallout 3 was the first RPG made, you're gonna be upset, but don't say you weren't warned.

This game is for the true RPG fan. As a side note, you can change your gear as you progress through the world...you have to find new gear first, but the new gear does not have stats....it's simply cosmetic.
  41. Sep 21, 2014
    No recuerdo cual el fue el ultimo juego que me tuvo jugando hasta las 5 de la mañana antes de Wasteland 2, el juego es perfecto, es entretenido, tremenda jugabilidad, opcions por todos lados, tomas de decisiones que cambien el mundo del juego, todo npc que encuentras tiene su personalidad bien definida,en definitiva esta bien diseñado y la escritura es excelente. Felicito a inXile por esteNo recuerdo cual el fue el ultimo juego que me tuvo jugando hasta las 5 de la mañana antes de Wasteland 2, el juego es perfecto, es entretenido, tremenda jugabilidad, opcions por todos lados, tomas de decisiones que cambien el mundo del juego, todo npc que encuentras tiene su personalidad bien definida,en definitiva esta bien diseñado y la escritura es excelente. Felicito a inXile por este nuevo clasico. Lo recomiendo a todo el mundo, es un excelente juego. Expand
  42. Sep 22, 2014
    "PS. It's ridiculous to see a 50$ DLC on day one. I've NEVER seen a 50$ DLC in any game.."

That's a blatant lie. This game has no DLC content. The DLC thing is a gag. And if this reviewer had spent more than 5 seconds playing the game, he would realize that.
  43. Sep 24, 2014
    This game was very promising, especially considering the people working on it and the fact that they raised 3,000,000$ from the Kickstarter. When i actually got to play it though... Generic delivery-boy quests and kill this and that all over, a game that runs extremely choppy and a fanboy community even more blind than some religious cults. Buy if you have the money to spare, otherwise buyThis game was very promising, especially considering the people working on it and the fact that they raised 3,000,000$ from the Kickstarter. When i actually got to play it though... Generic delivery-boy quests and kill this and that all over, a game that runs extremely choppy and a fanboy community even more blind than some religious cults. Buy if you have the money to spare, otherwise buy Fallout 1&2 (if you haven't already) or at least wait until WL2 goes on sale. And there is nothing special about the "deluxe version" either, you get some wallpapers, a couple of novellas and an updated version of the original Wasteland (with added sound and slightly better graphics, which is quite nice, though the original "original" is more than enough already).

-4 for the game being very choppy.
    -1 for the horrible community.
    -2 for not putting out something better than they have, considering the budget and how they themselves have presented the game.
    +3 For it not being a total -waste- of time, and actually a pretty fun (and effective) way to spend ones free time.
  44. Sep 19, 2014
    I like very mach fallout 1, 2, tactics. I played Fallout 3 - one run I had, no more than one hour. My best wish is TBS+RPG+post nuclear world. Finally I got it. Wasteland 2 had come. Now I play this game slowly, to realize happiness.
  45. Sep 26, 2014
    I am dumfounded at those that take the cataclysmic failures of this game in stride. Creating a game for a 'target audience' isn't a precursor for releasing unfinished dross. Immersion ZERO. It's an exercise in map hoping, little more. The skills and attributes are bust. Useless in all honesty. No tangible progression. There is no logical reason what so ever for there to be that many lootI am dumfounded at those that take the cataclysmic failures of this game in stride. Creating a game for a 'target audience' isn't a precursor for releasing unfinished dross. Immersion ZERO. It's an exercise in map hoping, little more. The skills and attributes are bust. Useless in all honesty. No tangible progression. There is no logical reason what so ever for there to be that many loot crates around and who rigs them with TNT? It's utterly ridiculous. Managing one characters inventory is enough, but this dispersed over four characters is just a pain in your hoop. On my second run-through I named my characters after their function in my team, as you can bust the game but just going one path with each character. If you have four leads, you need 4x the complexity of game to balance the advantages you have. Disappointed to say the least. Finally, what is with their forearms that are longer than their legs....... Expand
  46. Sep 20, 2014
    Turn-based CRPG at it's peak. Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone showed the world their prowess with Fallout 1 and 2 along with Planescape - Torment. If anything, this game has done more than any other in the last decade to bring out the dark storytelling facet these amazing creators are celebrated for. The game is not without minor bugs, but there is so much to do and explore that,Turn-based CRPG at it's peak. Brian Fargo and Chris Avellone showed the world their prowess with Fallout 1 and 2 along with Planescape - Torment. If anything, this game has done more than any other in the last decade to bring out the dark storytelling facet these amazing creators are celebrated for. The game is not without minor bugs, but there is so much to do and explore that, personally, I did not even notice them most of the time. So don't let that immense price tag put you off - this gem was truly worth the wait. Expand
  47. Sep 20, 2014
    Firstly the bad, there are a few bugs.

Secondly the good. Awesome game. I feel like a kid again.I remember my fallout 1/2 holidays as a kid and this seems to that kind of a game. There goes all my free time.
  48. Sep 19, 2014
    A game not for younger generation for players, thats for sure. But it absolutely delivers to all the original Wasteland and fallout fans. Maybe not in terms of graphics, but definitely in gameplay, combat and style.
  49. Sep 21, 2014
    It is an awesome game. All crpg fans should be happy. It has some bugs, but nothing a few patches wont fix. For all the critics about graphics- you are playing the wrong game....
  50. Sep 20, 2014
    Big step forward for CRPGs. Very difficult, but not frustratingly so. Once you get into the swing of it, switching between different party members and effectively using their skills is simple and fluid. The combat is fun and flows well, the cover system is very unobtrusive and intuitive, though sometimes game logic trumps actual logic (aka. missing with a shotgun from point blank rangeBig step forward for CRPGs. Very difficult, but not frustratingly so. Once you get into the swing of it, switching between different party members and effectively using their skills is simple and fluid. The combat is fun and flows well, the cover system is very unobtrusive and intuitive, though sometimes game logic trumps actual logic (aka. missing with a shotgun from point blank range because of low skill.)

So far the writing and voice acting has been fantastic, and the way dialog is handled in general is very unique and impressive. The keyword system adds a new dynamic to the game that rewards you for paying attention.
  51. Sep 22, 2014
    Amazing game, a true successor to Fallout 1&2 and of course Wasteland!
    They simply nailed it. If you are a fan of turn-based RPGs in a post-apocalyptic setting then you're in for quite the treat!
    Nice open world, great atmosphere, interesting story line, intense battles, lots of items/weapons/LOOT...everything's there. It's not the prettiest game around, but who cares? If you want
    Amazing game, a true successor to Fallout 1&2 and of course Wasteland!
    It's not the prettiest game around, but who cares? If you want flashy graphics there are a lot of options out there.
    If on the other hand you want a real RP experience, Wasteland 2 must be your choice!
    Good luck Rangers!
  52. Sep 22, 2014
    i've just made account to leave my opinion for people like me - raised on classic 90's isometric rpgs like fallout, baldur's gate or planescape torment, that were full of that undescribable atmosphere, compared only to good books. Since black isle studio's era i havent found anything comparable to these legendary games, til now :).

ill be totally honest with you, its not a perfect game,

ill be totally honest with you, its not a perfect game, it has a lot of things that could be done better or expanded in various ways (i wont say which exactly as personally i wouldnt like to know before i play, as it would spoil my game)
    BUT
    it has that classic book-like atmosphere that doesnt let you to simply skip dialogues and rush into the missions. Ill give you some examples.
    When you start a conversation, the first thing you will get is a brief look of your interlocutor, describing how he looks, how he might potentially feel or what he might do based on his appearance. While you walk around, your personal journal (in bottom right side of screen) is popping with plenty of your insights of surrounding world. Your team members has an opinion based on their beliefs and background, and they share it whenever you approach 'gray' areas. Also conversations are really juicy and have that vibe of fallen world (both civilisation-wise and moral). Its all subtle things, but if you play that sort of games to immerse into'em youll love it.

Little about game itself
    -graphics are good (until you're a jerk playing a classic-like rpg zoomed in...)
    -locations design are well made, i like them more than fallout's
    -music is fine (but i liked fallout's swing/blues more)
    -fights are hard to describe - rather easy if you plan them before you start (and put your team around the map preparing for em) but also non forgiving if you make any mistake or just go in rambo-style (but it might be just me as i suck in fights after years of playing nondemanding crpgs)
    -lore and atmosphere is great
    -about bugs that some reviewers are whining about - all i experienced was bad pathfinding (leading to freezing your team to the ground - all you have to do is just change the team leader and make him go in the other direction)

Guess its all you should know. Wasteland 2 isnt as good as the legendary games i mentioned in the beginning, but it has the same sort of subtle things that makes you forget about some graphic/mechanical issues and just dive into the game completely.

my rate is 8,5/10, but for all these fools rating it 0 i'll leave a 10/10.

well done inxile, cant wait for your new torment game.
  53. Sep 23, 2014
    If you took an inferior version of Jagged Alliance 2's combat, and combined it with an inferior version of Fallout's world, you end up with Wasteland 2. Quite simply, this game does not deliver. There are almost no real RPG elements to this game, other than countless skill checks. Dialogue choices, story choices, etc. are almost non-existent. All that, combined with the countless bugs +If you took an inferior version of Jagged Alliance 2's combat, and combined it with an inferior version of Fallout's world, you end up with Wasteland 2. Quite simply, this game does not deliver. There are almost no real RPG elements to this game, other than countless skill checks. Dialogue choices, story choices, etc. are almost non-existent. All that, combined with the countless bugs + Unity engine = don't buy. Expand
  54. Sep 22, 2014
    The negative reviews in this game should not be taken seriously under any circumstances. Most are written by butthurt rage-quitters who didn't like the fact that you can lose in this game. The difficulty is greatly exaggerated, unless you are mentally challenged you will have no issue with it, even with a sub-optimal party.

Compared to a game like D:OS this game shines in all aspects

Compared to a game like D:OS this game shines in all aspects relating to role-playing, c&c, and writing. Basically, google the graphics, if you can tolerate them, and have an IQ above 90, you'll probably enjoy this game. Since all of the negativity can be summed up by: Bad graphics, too hard.
  55. Sep 19, 2014
    I spent many hours playing the original as a kid, and I'm happy to say diving into Wasteland 2 brought back a lot of good memories from those days. I love the moral choices you have to make in this game, the outcomes of which aren't always immediately known. There's little hand-holding and one action can open up new areas of gameplay or close off an entire map. It's an old school RPG atI spent many hours playing the original as a kid, and I'm happy to say diving into Wasteland 2 brought back a lot of good memories from those days. I love the moral choices you have to make in this game, the outcomes of which aren't always immediately known. There's little hand-holding and one action can open up new areas of gameplay or close off an entire map. It's an old school RPG at heart, but very modern in how it treats the user. I'm having a blast with it so far. Expand
  56. Sep 19, 2014
    This is the game that i wished Fallout 3 was. I was one of the people who hated the pre-release versions of the game. I have to say that my initial assessment of the game was short sighted. I wanted a polished, perfect experience instead of the broken mess that was released for early access. Still i hanged on, and kept hope. I have not been disappointed. Wasteland 2 as it stands on launchThis is the game that i wished Fallout 3 was. I was one of the people who hated the pre-release versions of the game. I have to say that my initial assessment of the game was short sighted. I wanted a polished, perfect experience instead of the broken mess that was released for early access. Still i hanged on, and kept hope. I have not been disappointed. Wasteland 2 as it stands on launch day is nothing short of a triumph. A beautiful impressive, "when did the sun rise?" type of game. You can spend days just thinking about what type of squad you want to use. What more could you ask for? Expand
  57. Sep 19, 2014
    Excellent game. 10/10. Old school, but with nice graphics and modern-esque gameplay elements.

Notice the distribution of ratings. 93 positive, 24 negative. . Either those who like it, love it and those who don't like it, hate it . . . or maybe there's some kind of campaign to lower the score on Metacritic.
  58. Sep 21, 2014
    I spent over an hour thinking over how to craft my party and I loved every second of it. The combat is quite good. The graphics are well made. The voice acting is sparse but well done. The writing is wonderful. The story is grim and engaging. Basically, the game has no major faults to detract from your enjoyment of it.

The game oozes late 90s and thats good because after that point cRPG

The game oozes late 90s and thats good because after that point cRPG gaming took a nose dive. This is REAL gaming for hardcore gamers. The only reason this game isn't rated a solid ten by users and critics is because the new generation of gamers can't handle a game which doesn't stoop to their level. If your attention span is too short, just pass on this because you have to do things like read and think for yourself.

However, if you are a 30 or 40 something hardcore PC gamer that remembers fondly games where you had to figure things out for yourself, then this is the game for you.
  59. Sep 21, 2014
    One step forward two hundred steps back.
    Installed the game played for about 10 hours uinstalled started a new fallout series game marathon.
    Story and characters are uninteresting and boring gameplay is bland and has no variation in my 10 hours of play. Clearly this game was created for those that have not played the old games. Another kickstarter failure to deliver. Go play
    One step forward two hundred steps back.

Clearly this game was created for those that have not played the old games.
    Another kickstarter failure to deliver.

Go play Divinity:Original Sin it's a turn based party crpg that is better at litterary eveything:

(depth of strategy, character progression,story,writting,dialogs,characters,graphics,sounds,music,controls,ui)
  60. Sep 19, 2014
    This hot potato is hard to swallow, Vargas, but we'll do our best.
    I got my rifle, my badge and 3 friends to count on, out there in the wastelands.
    I'm not expecting kindness or benevolence, I'm already feeling the sun burning my eyes, the radiation burning my skin and the rusted ruins of the world it was burning my heart. I know there will be blood and dust on my path, and much, much
    This hot potato is hard to swallow, Vargas, but we'll do our best.
    I know there will be blood and dust on my path, and much, much pain, inside and outside me.
    I know I can take it, because you already made it. You may be older and I may be older too, but it's never to late to answer to those who scream for a better world.
  61. Sep 22, 2014
    Well, if you stop playing the game 1 day after its release it can't be that good, can it? I got extremely bored of everything in this game, even rotating the camera.

Problems: 1) Combat is a nuisance, and tactical options are limited. 2) Quest/dialog system is weak. Entering keywords doesn't work. 3) Weapon customization is pointless, because it's all about DPS, no tactics involved.

Problems:
    1) Combat is a nuisance, and tactical options are limited.
    2) Quest/dialog system is weak. Entering keywords doesn't work.
    4) Character development ist pointless, because you NEED a computer guy, a locks guy, a conversation guy, a doctor and on top of that everybody must be able to shoot like a pro (s. 1). Pretty sure, there's ONE optimal party build and one build only.

Besides the poor execution of stuff actually included in the game, the stuff that's entirely missing (after playing Fallout1 and 2) is endless. Aimed shots, combat drugs, side missions, etc.

Bottom line is: The game feels like a game from 1995 with graphics from 2005. Quick reminder: The year is 2014. Maybe the devs should play a game once in a while.

Ah well, I'm out of here. Gotta find another hobby.
  62. Sep 21, 2014
    A game that pays homage to the Fallout series without including key tactical elements that made that series great. No aimed, snapped or burst shot at beginning. No putting additional action points to increase probability of hit. No aiming for hit locations (except the generic "heat shot"). No localized damage. No prone. No taking cover to reduce damage. No physics damage modeling.A game that pays homage to the Fallout series without including key tactical elements that made that series great. No aimed, snapped or burst shot at beginning. No putting additional action points to increase probability of hit. No aiming for hit locations (except the generic "heat shot"). No localized damage. No prone. No taking cover to reduce damage. No physics damage modeling. No camouflage. No stealth to speak of. No "hearing" enemies location. Line of sight only taken into effect when you shoot for an enemy and you end up shooting your team mate in the back.

You can basically lump this game with all the "reboots" of classic games you came to love as a kid. You know, Jagged alliance reboot, X-com reboot, and now a "Fallout / Wasteland" reboot. They took a game franchise that had tons of extra features (see above), added a bunch of pretty graphics and then sold it to the fans who thought they would be getting a graphically better version with all the same features they loved.
  63. Sep 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Isometric RPG's are back.One of the best CRpg out there!
    Amazing plot, characters and combat system.
    Pure old-school RPG experience!
    Very dark, very funny, very mature,Very good!
  64. Apr 12, 2015
    Fun game but there are things that bring it down for me. These are just my tastes but I wish it wasn't turn based, I'd prefer just being able to pause combat and issue commands. And the constant weapon jamming is incredibly annoying. I mostly play games for story and though combat can be fun, when I'm playing he game on the easiest difficulty I just want to be able to breeze through theFun game but there are things that bring it down for me. These are just my tastes but I wish it wasn't turn based, I'd prefer just being able to pause combat and issue commands. And the constant weapon jamming is incredibly annoying. I mostly play games for story and though combat can be fun, when I'm playing he game on the easiest difficulty I just want to be able to breeze through the combat, which is not possible in this game. I think many other people though could find this game good. It just doesn't cater well to my tastes. Expand
  65. Sep 21, 2014
    If you like old cRPG type games like fallout 1 + 2 and Torment, then buy this game.

It has great story, and ok/cool combat at times. Very nice setting and music and stuff.

It's like playing a modern fallout in a different universe, but similar.
  66. Sep 21, 2014
    Великолепная игра в декорациях постапа, оторваться от которой я смогу только под утро ибо понял, что надо идти спасть :-) Одним слово, браво товарищи разработчики.
  67. Sep 21, 2014
    The recent releases of games kick-started by the community all suffer from the same fault, a complete deviation from the expectation of community. This is the result because in the end the developers who gather the fund have complete control on the output, so that the backers are at risk.

As some reviewers are still referencing this game to fallout, one of the best RPG games. I want to point out that the similarities of this game to fallout are only limited to the character stat and the post-apocalyptic story setting. That's all.

In fallout, you have the complicated quest structure with different results, opening various new quests, depending on how you act. You also have an interesting combat system, so you can choose to attack different parts of enemies, giving you advantage during combat.

In this game, you have a lot of quests with fetch quest structure, so you will run around like a FedEx boy to grind for different stuff, with a lot of backtracking. In combat, you play the game in a dumbed-down version of classic xcom. So, there are not much tactics involved, and the combat will get bored soon. Basically, all the charm from fallout is absent in this game. Don't fall into the trap if you just love the critical success elements of fallout series. And the main story line is quite boring and weak as well, so don't expect too much on the main quests.

On the other hand, this game is quite buggy. Getting stuck after character creation, suffering from save corruption or even crash can be quite common. You are better be prepared for this if you want to try this game. The threads about bugs or anything negative about this game seems get on deleted on steam forum. It seems the bugs are already neglected, so don't expect these bugs will probably be fixed.

If this trend continues, the price of this game will probably drop soon. Don't ever underestimate the power of word-of-mouth, gamers will still discover the truth and spread the words even though there is censorship going on. So, for anyone who is still interested in this buggy and bland game, you can wait for the price drop to around $5, as the developers will soon lower the price, hoping anyone will give a try on their game.
  68. Sep 21, 2014
    I will try yo keep it short: this game is so bad that I am very worried about upcoming Torment game from the same team. The lack of content simply kills the gameplay. It is also very linear. Pretty much: go there, kill all hostiles and ask for own target, don't wander on your own or you will get completely destroyed by enemies few levels higher than yours.
    Many people say this is FF:T and
    Many people say this is FF:T and they are right but there are more short and completely pointless battles in W2
  69. Sep 21, 2014
    Pledged this game on Kickstarter. What did I get instead of devs' promises? Unpredictable crashes with saves corrupting, major FPS spikes, bugged quests which block storyline progression, inadequate support on steam forums deleting/closing bug report threads, ignoring e-mails as well. Actually, I got banned on Wasteland 2 steam community forums for creating threads simply asking for helpPledged this game on Kickstarter. What did I get instead of devs' promises? Unpredictable crashes with saves corrupting, major FPS spikes, bugged quests which block storyline progression, inadequate support on steam forums deleting/closing bug report threads, ignoring e-mails as well. Actually, I got banned on Wasteland 2 steam community forums for creating threads simply asking for help to fix save corruption issues - thing which makes game unplayable for me. Are developers trying to keep things quite avoiding negative reviewers response?

I really hoped inXile would deliver, I'm major Wasteland/Fallout series fan. But the thing is: even if some of the gamebreaking bugs gonna get fixed, will they fix blunt and atrocious storytelling? People who played Fallout/Fallout2 will understand me in terms how everything dumped down in this game is: gunplay, simplified mechanics, absence of stealth mechanics (for me, this one ruins gameplay completely), crippled character creator, bunch of useless stats, AI issues. Actually, according to feedback on steamforums, you are lucky if you manage to make your squad member to move: many people just get their newly-formed squad stuck to the ground. Re-loading savefile won't fix the issue.

I am really, really disappointed in Brian Fargo as lead game designer who let this happen and in whole 'kickstarting' thing.

Maybe you shouldn't try to do things if you know for yourself you won't be able to deliver? Backing independent teams even with loud names is always risky thing. Perhaps they need like 10 years to practice things without going full public and THEN let people back their projects so customers won't feel like they were scammed?
  70. Sep 22, 2014
    Worst looking Sci-fi repeat of a game type since Rome 2. Have you seen the graphics? $40 of this POS junk? Cmon surely you have something better to spend your money on like Endless Legends? I'll wait for the $4.99 bargain bin price soon to come after this junk releases. You'd do well to do the same. Even the moderators and developers of the game are deleting threads and posts already ofWorst looking Sci-fi repeat of a game type since Rome 2. Have you seen the graphics? $40 of this POS junk? Cmon surely you have something better to spend your money on like Endless Legends? I'll wait for the $4.99 bargain bin price soon to come after this junk releases. You'd do well to do the same. Even the moderators and developers of the game are deleting threads and posts already of some things negative said about the game. If they are deleting threads and posts this early then something must be seriously wrong with the game they don't won't us knowing about.

Now Wasteland I was/is a wonderful game and story but this POS doesn't look or feel anything like the first one. It looks and feels more like a Diablo III clone and you know how bad that one turned out.
  71. Sep 19, 2014
    This game came out delayed and the UI is awful. Compared to fallout 3 it doesn't stack up and I much prefer the fallout series. It was an okay try at a classic rpg but I didn't like it much. Was a $50 backer. Also the lack of tracking information and other things on the physical copy was so lazy.
  72. Sep 20, 2014
    This game is really bad. Poor graphics, almost no storytelling. Epic utscenes - nope, forget about that. I just can't imagine how can you create such a thing in 2014. Developers, wake up, 90's are gone.
  73. Jun 19, 2016
    I usually refrain from mentioning other reviewers, but Alsvha hits it on the head for me so you are invited to read his review. I will add something of my own here.
    Wasteland 2 captured my interest after I was allowed to play it for free for a short while. Frankly, I decided on it for the lack of games to play. This is actually my own problem for I have this rule not to spend money more than 15 euros on a game unless I am certain I want to have it. The next one I am looking forward to is Cyberpunk 2077.

Wasteland 2 is positioned as an old school rpg, which is more a sales pitch than anything else. It is old, therefore it is good? Like wine that has matured over time giving us a rich bouquet of flavours? But perhaps it is more an excuse for the vinegar taste it might turn out to be? Perhaps both depending on the situation.

For me a game is made in the here and now and not in the back and then and although it might have the same features in a way I hope we have progressed somewhat and learned to make things better. But next to that, a good story is a good story as a bad story is bad one. As far as I know the only difference the technology makes, for that is what discerns old from new basically, is in the delivering. And is that not what the sales pitch tries to smooth over?

So ignoring the old school blurb we can say it resembles games like Blackguards, the 2014 tactical role play game set in a fantasy realm. But Wasteland stresses roleplay more and feels less combat oriented therefore. The world is also more open and allows you to travel about although there are 'guides' and barriers keeping you from spinning of into the wrong direction.

The game strikes a decent balance between combat and role play, but unfortunately for me I never quite liked it. One way to suck away the fun is the tedious scavenging. The country side is littered with boxes, safes and landmines which you have to discover, examine, disarm, crack, open and empty of the random generated paltry contents. Since ammunition is scare and expensive and well paying jobs are far and in between you are almost required to live of the land and the droppings of your enemies, which is at times unrelated to what weapons they bring to bear and even at times your opponents do not drop anything at all.

Another annoying feature is to stuff the contents full of items listed as junk, which isn't always junk we are warned over and over so, you carry around a lot of excess baggage just in the offhand chance it might be required for something.

What I find even more damaging for this game, which is why I liked games like Torment and Baldurs Gate, is that most of your team members have almost no personality. The basic team has non and only a few of your npcs have something of their own mind. Even Blackguards gives more personality to your team members. If this was a deliberate choice than the lack of original personalities ought to be off set by a good combat system. But wasteland doesn't deliver much. It is decent enough, but nothing special or spectacular as it lacks depth.

What remains is to evaluate the story line. And here Wasteland is the most weak. It has no general story line that draws you in. The stories are fragmented and you feel more like an emergency response team that is running from one unrelated crisis to the next. So yeah, there is the murder of Ace. So yeah, there is the synth tale. So yeah, there are the mutated plants. But it is unrelated and often feels like a distraction for a main plot that has yet to develop.

Overall the game is decent and works in a fashion, but it lacks a good story line and well develop characters. Ironically that is exactly my criticism for Fallout 4. Perhaps old school and new school have something in common?
  74. Sep 30, 2014
    I played many hours on this game at the hardest difficulty and it's possible to win the battles that is of your level.

However, you will encounter shortage of supplies issue, thus recommendation is not to play at such hard difficulty. Since I had spent so many hours, I feel stupid if I gave score lesser than 8. However, I quit the game quite early in the story. I just can't get

Since I had spent so many hours, I feel stupid if I gave score lesser than 8.

However, I quit the game quite early in the story.
    I just can't get over been forced to be part of Desert Ranger. I know that Fallout Tactics also force you to be in the Brotherhood of Steel but I have no issue with that as BOS seems competent.

However, in the very beginning of the game, the Desert Ranger are hit with 2 crisis at almost the same time. Yet they only have the resource to send to tend to 1 crisis. This give me the feeling that the Desert Ranger is at a decline, without capability to deal with more than 1 crisis even though they are veterans with 15 years of experience reacting to the crisis of the wasteland, If the wasteland is as harsh as what I'm been told, I personally believe that handling more than 1 crisis at the same time is quite common for the Desert Ranger when it's not at a decline.

Someone told me that the Desert Ranger is stretched too thin.
    In Fallout New Vegas, the NCR is also stretched too thin and I always did not choose the NCR ending as I did not have faith in them.

But this game forced to be in a team that I don't want to be in (for a game).
    Thus the more I played, the more frustrated I get.
  75. Dec 3, 2014
    I had pretty negative attitude towards this game at first, but as the game progressed, I became more and more absorbed. After nearly a month of playing I finally finished it yesterday and man, it was a blast. Although the overall gameplay may seem a bit clunky at first, shortly after, you start to appreciate combat, and game plot. The game has some pretty epic moments, like when you hear aI had pretty negative attitude towards this game at first, but as the game progressed, I became more and more absorbed. After nearly a month of playing I finally finished it yesterday and man, it was a blast. Although the overall gameplay may seem a bit clunky at first, shortly after, you start to appreciate combat, and game plot. The game has some pretty epic moments, like when you hear a "Do your really want to hurt me" song in the radio, or when you do the test of politeness. I got to say, game is really mature, but also has pretty funny moments, and it really feels like the old RPG's. It really does. It's really long and satisfying.

In short, if you love RPG's, and you also enjoy the post-apocalyptic scenarios, you can't miss Wasteland 2, it's really worth trying it.
  76. Dec 3, 2014
    The game is fun
    Pro's
    Story challenge characters building characters environments Cons some cliches here and there can be a little one sided if character built wrong bugs glitches The bots who spammed 0s should not be taken seriously look at there accounts they usually have 1 review. "fanboy" is a common term to throw around to them for anybody who rates this game above a
    The game is fun
    Pro's
    Story
    challenge
    characters
    building characters
    environments

Cons
    some cliches here and there
    can be a little one sided if character built wrong
    bugs
    glitches

The bots who spammed 0s should not be taken seriously look at there accounts they usually have 1 review. "fanboy" is a common term to throw around to them for anybody who rates this game above a 7. I personally have NEVER played a game like this and have never played wasteland 1. Spent 300+ hours in this game it was fun. People are also rating this game 0s because it has no points of interest or fast travel well whoop go play skyrim this is a real RPG not something stream lined for skyrim fans.
  77. Mar 31, 2015
    While it's not as good as the classics like Fallout or Baldur's Gate II, it does manage to bring back that type of feeling. I backed it in kickstarter and am happy with the result. I would rate it 8.5/10.

The wasteland is an interesting place to discover, full of both dilemma's and humor. You have to make difficult, morally ambiguous decisions and those can have consequences immediately or much later in the game.

You start out with a party of 4 rangers you create from scratch and you can recruit up to 3 additional NPC companions (or more if you dump a ranger or one gets killed). Character creation is fantastic. You get a lot of different options and each can be useful for solving different situations. You can create a balanced unit or create 4 elite soldiers all specialized in assault rifles, pistols, ... and rely on recruitable NPC's for other skills.

These choices influence your possibilities during the squad based tactical combat. There are different weapon, armor and ammo types, there is strategic positioning, ... The only thing they should have added was the targeting of individual body parts (fallout style).

Wasteland 2 has got it's own style and feeling and that's good. InExile did a great job in my view!
  78. Nov 26, 2014
    Great CRPG. The story is interesting and the dialogues are good. The roleplaying posibilities are great, both in and out of dialogue. Lots of abilites and lots of options. The combat is entertaining and tactical if not overly complicated. The game is long, very long and you can see the care with it was developed in every corner.

The not so positive part: The game lacks portraits for

The not so positive part: The game lacks portraits for characters and NPCs. Hollywood is bugged to hell (although you would be playing 70 hours before reaching that part of the game) but probably fixes are on the way.

Overall, excellent game. Not perfect but great. One of the best roleplaying games out there.
  79. Nov 26, 2014
    An unforgettable RPG full of virtues: complete character editor in stats, appearance and background that encourages to customize since the portrait till its history; variety of items well designed in model and icons; clever mature dialogues with detailed descriptions; immersive environment in areas, decoration and soundtrack; credible NPC, really long duration.
    With some flaws mainly in
    With some flaws mainly in polishing: attributes has little influence, most weapon skills are useless and other skills seem interesting but in game has few uses because most maps seem designed to classic combats instead of multiple strategies, leaving the sensation that could be more variety.
    Although InXile made an excellent job in all what really matters: the game core; and the flaws can be solved by patches, DLCs or even an Expansion pack. In fact some mods have already solved things as the rebalance in combat (search them in Nexus mods).
    In average is a superb game core (that deserves a 10 by itself), with a tightly acceptable campaign, and minor polishing flaws (so rules and level design deserves a tight 6 only because we feel that could be much better). Patches, DLC or Expansions could easily improve all those polishing issues, but I think that when the Toolset will be released this game would show its real potential.
  80. Dec 4, 2014
    0?Seriously?9,5 more likely.The game give you this nice warm feeling when you blow the minds of your enemies out that every game should be.As good as Fallout 2 for me.Brian Fargo made his miracle again.Thank you Brian.
  81. Jan 5, 2015
    Ignore the naysayers, W2 is an awesome game. Interesting story, solid mechanics, isometric view, party oriented adventure. If you ever wished for a "better" Fallout: Tactics, this is IT. There are some balance issues here and there, but nothing worth bashing the game for. I think a lot of the red reviews come from ppl who thought W2 would be Fallout 2 reborn. Grow up ppl. W2 is an amazingIgnore the naysayers, W2 is an awesome game. Interesting story, solid mechanics, isometric view, party oriented adventure. If you ever wished for a "better" Fallout: Tactics, this is IT. There are some balance issues here and there, but nothing worth bashing the game for. I think a lot of the red reviews come from ppl who thought W2 would be Fallout 2 reborn. Grow up ppl. W2 is an amazing game and F2 had numerous bugs and broken mechanics (ammo bug rings any bells...?). If you like old school RPG and always wished for a Fallout 2 spiritual successor, BUY THIS GAME RIGHT NOW. Expand
  82. Dec 22, 2014
    Excellent game! I simply had a natural connection and love for anything involving strategy and RPG and this game have a lot of both. I love it is a turn-based game, It's like playing chess. It's the kind of games I like to play :)

Very challenging but rewarding! It is a must have game for lovers of Fallout 1 & 2. And I'm glad to have games like this these days where everything is FPS
  83. Jan 5, 2015
    The godfather of all post-apocalyptic CRPGs was most undoubtedly fallout 1. Fallout one was a mature, amazing game that almost everyone liked. However fallout's less known older brother is the REAL godfather of the genre. This game plays and looks like a CRPG from 10 years ago and that is not a bad thing. IF you enjoy these types of game you will love the fun, challenging, sometimesThe godfather of all post-apocalyptic CRPGs was most undoubtedly fallout 1. Fallout one was a mature, amazing game that almost everyone liked. However fallout's less known older brother is the REAL godfather of the genre. This game plays and looks like a CRPG from 10 years ago and that is not a bad thing. IF you enjoy these types of game you will love the fun, challenging, sometimes unforgiving wasteland. The wasteland is vast and has two fully explorable wastelands with a whole lot of interesting characters. If you like crpgs, or just like wastleand 1 or the classic fallouts this is a must-play! Expand
  84. Jan 18, 2015
    I recently spent 135 hours on my first play through so I obviously enjoyed the game. It is truly the sequel to 1988's Wasteland game containing many of the same plot devices and situations. I fear many of the red votes here are from users that expected Fallout 2.5, not Wasteland 2.

The bad: The attributes don't have much influence on the characters skills or abilities, enemy melee fighters can walk up to your toes on their first round, and the special dialog choices I was hoping for were just a one-line comment and some xp. The combat was fairly fun but I'm not big on combat anyway. I play crpg's for the plot twists and convoluted dialog trees so was very disappointed with the special dialog.

The Good: There are some great conversations, and the inter-faction rivalries are quite clever if you take the time to screw people over and change alliances on the fly. The game has no good/bad morality, just shades of gray. I plan to play the game again making totally different choices just to see new content.

Again, it's not Fallout! It doesn't have prone firing or aimed shots, you can't play as a loner or search for the G.e.c.k. either. Fallout is a great game but it is a different game. Besides, if Obsidian had made it any closer to Fallout canon Zenimax would have sued them and we'd never have gotten to play it.
  85. Oct 2, 2014
    Want to open every door? loot every chest? Finish every mission, save every NPC, and skip half the dialog?

Tough luck. If you want an immersive adventure game that rewards good decisions, punishes bad ones, and will make you wish you saved your game that little bit more often then this is what your looking for. Think fallout 2 with a free-roaming camera and oodles of content. Best

Tough luck.

If you want an immersive adventure game that rewards good decisions, punishes bad ones, and will make you wish you saved your game that little bit more often then this is what your looking for. Think fallout 2 with a free-roaming camera and oodles of content. Best played with notepad handy.

Points deducted for clunky / unresponsive interface and occasionally annoying camera, but otherwise a masterpiece.
  86. Jan 25, 2015
    Wasteland 2 is an extremely well done throwback to Fallout. It is heavily focused on skills and skill use rather than the traditional attribute driven style of RPG. Most problems presented in the game have multiple solutions as do most quests. Like Fallout, your decisions factor heavily into the end of the game.

It does suffer from a few small flaws, the attributes really are

It does suffer from a few small flaws, the attributes really are meaningless. Intelligence is extremely important, Strength if you want the best armor, and an extra point or two in Charisma is needed if you want to be able to recruit all of the NPCs.

Its other major flaw is that it is very easy to lock yourself out of sidequests, or completely miss them. Many sidequests require you to have some specific item in your inventory when talking to an NPC that is found in another area, and it is really easy to have an inventory full of items for quests you missed because you didn't know you needed to go back and talk to someone. Worse, occassionally completing some other quest will block a sidequest even if the person is still present and could talk to you, but inexplicably won't.. If you're going to play, just spoil yourself and reference a Toaster Items spoiler or you'll miss many things. Some of this is intentional, sometimes an action you take alters the town you're in and it would no longer make sense for the sidequest to work (Like causing some NPC to leave town), but IMO it is just too easy for this to happen as you aren't given a hint that it could happen.

Does Wasteland 2 have some flaws? Certainly, but so does every other game. Wasteland 2, like any other great game, has only small flaws and I highly recommend it.
  87. Jan 28, 2015
    Intelligent game-play, great story, aggressive combat system, proper music. This is hardcore. Not a Fallout sequel due to a number of design differences (a big party of 7 characters, each with unique traits, for one), another game that is. Minor downturns such as weapon illustrations, lack of armor rendered on character & perhaps questionable use of 'trinkets' as skill boosters. But minorIntelligent game-play, great story, aggressive combat system, proper music. This is hardcore. Not a Fallout sequel due to a number of design differences (a big party of 7 characters, each with unique traits, for one), another game that is. Minor downturns such as weapon illustrations, lack of armor rendered on character & perhaps questionable use of 'trinkets' as skill boosters. But minor those are. This is essentially 21st century RPG masterpiece, more please. Expand
  88. Jan 27, 2015
    Is it as good as original Fallouts or Planescape Torment? No, it is not. But it still was my top RPG of 2014 and makes it to my personal top 10 RPGs of all time. I'm really looking forward to other inXile creations.
  89. Dec 1, 2014
    Coming from Fallout 3 I doubted that I would like something from the firsts turn based Fallout, but I love it! Its deep environment invites to believe that we really are out there in a devastated environment; the deep character creation contributes greatly to the immersion as well as the clever mature dialogues where I had that constant sensation that my choices counts, instead those fromComing from Fallout 3 I doubted that I would like something from the firsts turn based Fallout, but I love it! Its deep environment invites to believe that we really are out there in a devastated environment; the deep character creation contributes greatly to the immersion as well as the clever mature dialogues where I had that constant sensation that my choices counts, instead those from Fallout 3 where you know that no matter what choose the result of the dialogue will be answered immediately.

As observation it needs a complete combat rebalance because Assault Rifles and Brawling are the best viable choices for range and melee respectively, followed by Snipers, SMG, EW. Actually are mods that solves that but it would be nice an "official" answer to have wikis and guides updated.

The average feeling about this game is a foundation of ideas that could be polished, and with the toolset will be even better, meanwhile is one of the best RPG I've ever played and also have inspired me to write a novel.
  90. Sep 26, 2014
    I'm not feeling this game. I've played Fallout 1 and 2 a million times every possible way. I've even played the original Wasteland. But something about this game just doesn't grab me. It feels very tedious. The combat is annoying (and each of my guys is spec'd into just 1 weapon type, not spread out): even with jam rates of like 2% I'll have the same guy jam up a bunch of times in a fight.I'm not feeling this game. I've played Fallout 1 and 2 a million times every possible way. I've even played the original Wasteland. But something about this game just doesn't grab me. It feels very tedious. The combat is annoying (and each of my guys is spec'd into just 1 weapon type, not spread out): even with jam rates of like 2% I'll have the same guy jam up a bunch of times in a fight. Normally I wouldn't care but the AP cost to unjam is ridiculous. Plus it drives me crazy that all enemy types seem to be able to close any distance on you in a turn. So my sniper guy who I always position as far away as possible just gets melee'd so I wound up having to take the brawl skill. Spent about 8 hours clearing the first area, the AG Center, which was boring and a tedious slog. I'm not gripped by the story yet unlike Fallout 1 (maybe it gets better?). I'm also not looking forward to a massive party size. You start with 4 which is manageable, it goes up to 7. I didn't mind 4-6 person parties in D&D type games because each of them felt very unique (sorcerer vs. rogue vs. cleric etc), but in this, it's just like "Oh this dude is good with this gun type" and then happens to have some support skill like doc or medic. Which is helpful, but really it's just firing a different gun type. The camera also really annoys me. I just don't like the angle and way things look. I feel like I'm constantly having to adjust the zoom and rotation all the time.

As for the comments about being geared for people who played the original or "must have an affinity to old-school game mechanics" that's not really the case. I don't mind reading walls of text if it's interesting (Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, etc), but so far, not very exciting. The combat mechanics are just boring esp. compared to like Baldur's Gate. Hell even Fallout 1 which had similar mechanics just felt more fun what with the perks and stuff, added variety.

I don't know. The music is great. The visuals are pretty good, I dig the atmosphere. But it just feels like a tedious party based tactics game and so far, 13 hours in, I'm not being grabbed by the story. It does have some humorous writing though.
  91. Sep 29, 2014
    If you take off your rose-tinted glasses for a moment and look at Wasteland 2 with a reasonable amount of objectivity, it very quickly becomes clear that the game is not without flaws. Performance issues, clunky and sometimes unreliable game play, and confusing aesthetics ground Wasteland 2 firmly in the Indie / Unpolished category of games these days. It delivers exactly what it promised,If you take off your rose-tinted glasses for a moment and look at Wasteland 2 with a reasonable amount of objectivity, it very quickly becomes clear that the game is not without flaws. Performance issues, clunky and sometimes unreliable game play, and confusing aesthetics ground Wasteland 2 firmly in the Indie / Unpolished category of games these days. It delivers exactly what it promised, but it does so in a rather poorly constructed package. The game is far from bad, but it's frustrating to play a game that you know in your heart of hearts is an absolute masterpiece hidden behind underdeveloped game play, not-so-spectacular aesthetics, and an underwhelming role-playing aspect.

If you can look past its flaws and enjoy it for what it is, Wasteland 2 is perfectly enjoyable. Amazing story-telling, incredibly immersive hooks, and absolutely outstanding character writing will give you a truly wonderful RPG experience. But don't be surprised when you find yourself feeling that the game is lacking that special something that would put it over the top.
  92. Oct 1, 2014
    I'm not even going to bother trying to avoid comparing it to the original Fallout games, or to the recent Divinity game, so on that note, it's maybe not quite as good as those, but still pretty close.

Compared to the original Fallout games, I didn't feel like the story was as engaging, or the characters as memorable. The system is a little more modern, but often irritating as some actions just waste the player's time for basically no reason. It'd also be nice to be able to enter turn based mode for certain actions, like if a character is bleeding out after a battle. I will say though, that skills in Wasteland 2 are more consistently useful than in the original Fallout games.

Compared to Divinity, I personally like the atmosphere and game world in this one better, but the Divinity combat system wins hands down. Also, while I thought the crafting system in Divinity could use some work, there's almost no crafting to speak of here, even though I think it would make sense thematically.

All told, Wasteland 2 is a solid game. Not perfect, but solid.
  93. Oct 1, 2014
    As a veteran of Fallout and Fallout 2 I was looking forward to this game. Generally it is disappointing because combat is the worst thing about this game. After playing around 10 hours I have been frustrated by it a number of times.

Ammo is scarce and PC's miss most of their shots unless you spend heavily in combat skills, which means you neglect the massive number of other useful skills which make up parts of the game which are actually fun. Melee weapons beyond a nail board seem to be completely forgotten.

Most of the fights, save a few, seem to be standoffs with little in the way of tactical cover, rather two teams blasting at each other until one crew dies. This is a major let down. Even setting up ambushes becomes a tedious tip-toe forward trying not to aggro the enemy, who can run at you like Usain Bolt and get into melee range on their first turn. There is no kind of CC or even debuffs.

Loot is randomly generated apart from medical supplies and some mobs. You can easily get starved of one type of ammo so the pressure is on throughout the game to conserve as much as you can.

The story is quite good so far, with a hard choice early on with real consequences. The dialogue is well acted and written, although sometimes you will want to turn the radio transmitter spam off so you can actually focus on your story.

The "isometric" (3D) view is great, although the graphics in general lack a real polish, looking much like the first "Dawn of War" game which came out 10 years ago this month. The maps are exactly like the old Fallout games or even New Vegas, mostly brown but with some fun variations on the theme. The sizes are fine and walking them does not take too long. Loading times between maps were around 10-15 seconds for me. I have not found any bugs.

There is a lot to like about this game, and like Divinity Original Sin its probably more fun with a guide on how to set your party up (which I think is a really lame thing). The combat is tiresome but the dramatic parts are good and the environment is what you would probably want. I don't think it is worth £30, if you liked fallout wait for it to be £20.
  94. Sep 30, 2014
    Don't get me wrong, Wasteland 2 is not a bad game. The problem is that it's not a good game either. At the beginning It definitely gives you that sweet feeling of an old style RPG, but as you go deeper into the game, you start to realise that it's just the surface and Wasteland 2 is pretty dull at the inside. It's not about some major issues, the problem is that there are huge number ofDon't get me wrong, Wasteland 2 is not a bad game. The problem is that it's not a good game either. At the beginning It definitely gives you that sweet feeling of an old style RPG, but as you go deeper into the game, you start to realise that it's just the surface and Wasteland 2 is pretty dull at the inside. It's not about some major issues, the problem is that there are huge number of small ones.

1) Game mechanics is not transparent. Do you know that high combat initiative allows you have more than one move in a turn? Do you know how luck affects drop rates? How charisma works, is it party-based or character-based? Do you know that formula for action points is (STR+INT+SPD)/4+CRD/2. Sure, you can dig forums and find answers to most of your questions, but you can't find them in game.

2) Boring levels. Maps are quite big and full of hidden crates and containers. There are no shortage of mobs as well. It makes progression tedious and dull.

3) Most skills are poorly designed. Computer science, demolitions, lockpicking, safecracking, toaster repair - in 95% of the situations you use them to get access to some loot. And you really need that loot and those skills, because ammo is sparse. I found that Mechanical Repair and Animal Whisperer to be enjoyable, just because they are not used routinely.

4) There are dosens of crates, safes, and blah-blah on the map. Almost all of them contains some junk, a little bit of ammo and tiny amount of money. It makes the gameplay grindy and tedious. Instead it would be much better to remove 90% of the crates and fill remaining 10% with cool items, and give the player feeling of the accomplishment.

5) The storyline is not engaging and full of cliches. It really fits theme of original Wasteland, but what was good back in 80s is boring and repetitive now. It reminds me of Fallout Tactics, which is not cool. To be fair, there are good things about the story as well: i really like emphasis on hard decisions and "you can't save em all" attitude.

6) There are times when game really breaks the immersion. First time you see a honey badger - it's really funny. Second time, it's ok. But when you see a whole valley full of them, you just facepalm. There are no day/night cycle (fallout 1/2, arcanum, hell - even Ultima 7 had that). And yeah - dosens of crates full of staff in what was supposed to be a wasteland.

7) And list goes on and on.

Note, that none of these issues are gamebreaking or something. They just take away some satisfaction of the game. So if your are a fun of post-apocalypse theme and turn based combat - by all means get it, but wait for the sale. Otherwise - avoid.
  95. Jan 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To think I almost did not buy this game. But when a deal appeared on Steam I went for it. Now I am completely hooked. It is so refreshing to be required to actually think and make choices in games these days. I love the humour of WL2 and the manner in which it ramps up the difficulty and options. It has been a long time since I have played a game with such a strong "one-more-turn" feeling. This game takes old-school game concepts and really brings them up to date. I want to see more games like this made. Expand
  96. Sep 26, 2014
    As someone who still regularly plays Fallout 2, I was very much looking forward to Wasteland 2. I expected a solid mix of Fallout 2 rpg elements and Fallout tactics combat. Instead, I found a game that did could not match up to either game respectively.

First, the graphics are atrocious. There is no excuse for character models that look this terrible in 2014. While it's fun to read the immersive descriptions of everything in the game, I would have enjoyed more immersion through graphics as well. Hope you picked your character models wisely at the beginning of the game, because you'll be staring at that pixelated junk for the rest of the game.

Second, the combat is unimaginative and seems more like a chore than fun. You are constantly forced to melee to preserve ammo. The cover system is horribly underutilized, and there are very few tactical choices to make during combat.

Third, the game has that feeling of a 1990s RPG. The UI is clunky and accomplishing tasks takes more clicks than it should. Nothing like having to pick a lock 5 times before you either succeed or critically fail. Why can't the game just do the roll and figure out if I failed or succeed? Inventory management is a pain, and comparing items to your secondary weapon is tedious.

Overall, I had high hopes for this game but left extremely disappointed. Just because you model a game after a 1990s classic doesn't mean you have to retain all the junk that plagued 1990s games. We have made great advancements in gaming since Fallout 1 and 2 - use them.
  97. Sep 24, 2014
    As backer, I expected a lot from Wasteland 2. But to my dismay, it did not deliver.

First off, graphics is poor. Not only it is not artistically pleasing, it is most of the time bland, uninspired, and without trace of atmosphere. Colors don´t work together. Animations are akward, slow, characters flow weightlessly. Quality of 3D objects wildly varies, as of textures. All in all, I really don´t feel visuals deliver the story and overall setting correctly.

Level design is pretty bad, outdated, and without attention to detail. For example, there are literally hundreds of chests everywhere, most of them trapped, like what the hell? Who left them there? In the middle of nowhere? Why? Does this make any sense? No, it doesn´t, the world is unbelievable and feels fabricated. On top of that, you´ve got to rotate camera all the time to not miss important stuff. In these regards, even Fallout 1 is way better.

I´ve just completed first of the bigger quests and I really wonder whether I should play on, and hope for the better. Because so far, its a drag. Boring NPCs, boring quests, all wrapped in bad visuals.

Combat seems kinda ok, although monsters are nothing to write home about. Random generated encounters are really terrible, as there are like two different maps they happen upon. It gets repetetive really quickly. You don´t expect mindless grind in single-player, but, boy, you will get it here.

If I compare W2 with recently published Divinity: OS ($1mil.), Wasteland 2 looks like very indie, borderline amateurish, attempt. This is not $3 mil. game by any stretch of an imagination. I really hope Torment will be two leagues above production quality of W2. Otherwise I will question whether Fargo is able to make good games like he used to.
  98. Oct 17, 2014
    At the beginning i didnt like too much, but it is a game that is going better and better each time you play it and continues the history, so i recommend it
  99. Oct 10, 2014
    As a backer for this game I'm pleased to say this delivered everything I was promised. It is fun, has a good story and is long without being monotonous. It took me 72 hours to finish the game and I enjoyed every moment of it.
    I have two complaints about the game.
    I have two complaints about the game.
    First is the player models are of lower quality then I would like, the fact that armour doesn't change your avatar means you tend to stick with your original clothing. I know you can find different clothing in game, but I didn't bother with it.
    Second some of the quests in the second half of the game were a bit disjointed. They weren't broken, but I was left scratching my head wondering if something had broke.
    All in all a good game and a must buy for any fan of the original Fallout.
  100. Nov 27, 2014
    The game is not flawless, but still this is massive incline and this game flags the beginning of new era for CRPGs. It was the first "big" kickstarted RPG and it turned out to be awesome. Great writing, a lot of C&C stuff, nice side-quests, tons of easter eggs ang a feeling of good old CRPG.

1. Nov 25, 2014
    Wasteland 2, for the most part, provides everything that its Kickstarter backers and fans of the genre are looking for.
  2. Nov 13, 2014
    If you're a fan of this style of game and have played the best recent releases, look behind you. Because that's where Wasteland 2 is going to be.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 12, 2014
    The epitome of old-school that doesn't reek of decay. There are a few bumps along the road, but oh, is it a road worth taking. [Issue#246]