• Publisher: NCSOFT
  • Release Date: Jun 3, 2014
7.5

1. Jun 3, 2014
    The questing experience was utterly abysmal. The UI is almost unuseable and unintuitive, the quest log is obtuse and gets in the way of actually completing objectives, and group quest rewards (which quests grant shared credit, etc.) are not the same across the board. I'm already very disappointed, and I haven't even gotten near max level yet. The Dominion 'flavor' feels like they justThe questing experience was utterly abysmal. The UI is almost unuseable and unintuitive, the quest log is obtuse and gets in the way of actually completing objectives, and group quest rewards (which quests grant shared credit, etc.) are not the same across the board. I'm already very disappointed, and I haven't even gotten near max level yet. The Dominion 'flavor' feels like they just think it's 'cool' to be 'evil'... and I feel no attachment to any of the characters or sense of why I should think that doing something ever matters. And why is the 'evil side' the only one with any touch of religion? Really? Over the top and heavy-handed.

I really wanted this game to be better, as I was looking forward to it for quite awhile, but it feels as though the game was designed by people with a ton of nostalgia for hardcore mmo's that never actually had to deal with the BS that went with that hardcore setup.

The player movement 'acceleration' is a huge issue for me, as well, as is the sprint 'resource' that is even applied to mount speed. I feel like my character is on a yo-yo when I have to change directions rapidly. 'Rolling' breaks auto run. Etc. etc.

The combat is decently fun (played Esper, Spellslinger, and Warrior), and the visuals are fairly intuitive. I like the flow of it, overall.
  2. Jun 4, 2014
    Fun, for a little while... Then it soon seems generic, and the interest evaporates. There are few classes, and the difference between the two sides is only cosmetic. The Dominion quests and NPCs were much less irritating though; if you really want to try the game out, go Dominion.
  3. Jun 3, 2014
    Love this game in spite of bunch of bugs and long queues. Battle system gives nice feelings.
    Crafting looks pretty interesting, almost like mini-games. Paths gives impetus to explore world, that's a nice way to do it and take some time from player.
  4. Jun 3, 2014
    This game is surprisingly fun. At level 15 you get access to adventures, which are essentially dungeons. They are super fun and challenging. Completing adventures feels very fulfilling when you clear them. Bosses are unique and engaging with neat mechanics. Combat feels more like an action RPG than an MMO. Manual dodging is fun.
  5. Jun 3, 2014
    Best mmo I've tried recently. The most innovative feature and also the coolest is the combat. It's very proactive. I think it is what GW2 tried to do, but much better.
    Besides the combat, it's a regular mmo, so if you don't like mmos, you won't like this one. But, there are good mmos and bad ones, and this one does everything right.
    There's another unique feature called Paths. Besides
    There's another unique feature called Paths. Besides the usual race, class and tradeskills, you chose a path. And this decides a lot of what you will be doing. For example soldier gets you new bosses to defeat, zones to defend and so on, all with it's own story. Or settler which I am right now, let's me build stuff around towns and cities, useful stuff. I'm loving settler tbh.
    The skills are very interesting and cool (I was shocked at thow boring skills were in FFRR, the last mmo I tried). And the skill and perk system is very configurable, letting you switch skills on the fly, which I like too.
    The crafting system looks cool, but I still have no idea how it works, it's not just click and craft, you have to select different ingredients and put them in a kind of grid.
    The world is full of stuff. The path system helps in this regards. There aren't any boring zones, because besides missions, events, ingredients, or the usual things, the world is also populated with things related to your path.
    The graphics are cartoonish. They don't look awesome in the sense of technical power, but they are pretty and very detailed.
    Oh, and the game has a kind of Borderlands humor.

All in all, very good mmo and I'd say right now the best you can play.
  6. Jun 3, 2014
    For me, this is the best MMO i´ve played in years. Everyone can judge on it´s own, but if u like MMO´s u should definitely give it a try. The 3 days in Headstart i enjoyed every minute with the game with a very nice community (atm). And it´s not just a phrase, the dev´s a truly listening.
  7. Jun 3, 2014
    Best game I've played since wow vanilla . Oh boy I missed this hardcore gameplay . PvP and Pve are just awesome . Also Developers are listening and answering everything . They fix things fast as hell . Good job Carbine ! 10/10
  8. Jun 3, 2014
    Fun game, overall. There is a ton of things to do, stuff like housing is already in place, and there's lots of different things to find in the world. Combat system is pretty interesting, and once you're not just doing simple stuff, standing still mashing buttons mindlessly will get you killed. The ability to quickly dodge around and be reactive makes it pretty interesting.

The game has

The game has a very strong "silly" vibe, which I guess was to be expected from a sci-fi game with what are essentially cat girls and crazy rat mad scientists.

Server issues have been a thing. Nothing too horrible on the server that I'm on, but there has been downtime and a lot of hotfixes. It's largely the standard new game from a new studio launch woes.

If you're looking for something to do in the MMO space, it's definitely worth a look.
  9. Jun 3, 2014
    I will aim this review to the more Hardcore MMO'ers.
    Firstly I think MMO's are the hardest to review and I only enjoyed UO/Everquest 1/Daoc/Wow/GW1. Everything after was just "meh" Imo.
    Wildstar so far has exceeded in every expectation so far. I am lvl 30 when writing this. I will just some it up in Pros and Cons, since you cannot really explain an MMO until you try it yourself. -
    I will aim this review to the more Hardcore MMO'ers.

- Pros -

- Combat is solid...fun and it works! I enjoyed combat way more then I thought I would. Keeps you on your toes.
    - It is hard! Challenging...and dungeons are difficult, you will die alot and when you nail that Boss...you feel like a Boss!
    - Not boring/Grindy...The experience from lvl 1-15 to 15-20 to 20-30 so far are quite different and different playstyles.
    - Great Music/Sound
    - Once ingame , it is pretty stable for release.
    - Housing is pretty addictive and well implemented, i have never been one for MMO Housing but WS have done well here.

Cons

- The paths are meh...It really does not matter which you pick in the end. They offer different play styles on the side, but all of em I never really went deeply into or found anything new here. They could a done better with Scientist too.
    - UI still needs a bit more polish.
    - Server queues

So far WS has been great, this is only from a leveling up point of view. My worry is end game content, which is what kills most MMO's for me. They get boring quick.
    Looking at the list of current content and the difficulty of WS I am sure for now WS will be fine if you wanna raid/dungeon hunt end game. Where WoW went wrong...(Pre TBC Imo) WS is doing right. Great classes/Great combat/20-40 man dungeons and WS is hard...very hard but in a good way. It mocks you when you die....yet you learn from your mistakes and rewards you well for accomplishing what you were doing.
  10. Jun 3, 2014
    Now before I start, you should know who I am so you can decide yourself if you wish to read my words. I'm pretty old-ish, I played EQ (dark elf cleric) L2 (dark elf SK) and WOW (Undead rogue, Belf Mage) to the beginning of WOTLK. So I know a thing or two about MMO (though I now prefer strategy games like the total wars). Now after wow I left MMOs , was done because I looked at AION, SWTORNow before I start, you should know who I am so you can decide yourself if you wish to read my words. I'm pretty old-ish, I played EQ (dark elf cleric) L2 (dark elf SK) and WOW (Undead rogue, Belf Mage) to the beginning of WOTLK. So I know a thing or two about MMO (though I now prefer strategy games like the total wars). Now after wow I left MMOs , was done because I looked at AION, SWTOR and I tried ESO beta, and I laughed cause they weren't great. I was certain I would never go back to PC MMO gaming!

Now two days ago I bought Wildstar early access and had a three hour wait while they worked through a back log of creating accounts (wow, lots of folk wanting to play) But after that I logged on Oceanic PVE, and started my game. I'm casual now, too old for rushing but I felt no need at all. In fact once I left the starter area, a quick zone chat (said "hello") had three friends and a party to share the questing experience.

A few things I noticed: 1, grouping is worth while at almost anytime, there is no reason to play alone. 2, the art style is refreshing and humorous. The back story and world is fully engaging (yes I stop to read all the books), in one particular cave is a boiling cauldron and a sack with an intelligent creature in it mumbling to itself, that's awesome. 3, progression feels natural. 4, I got my own house and garden and workbench and my friends came over, I nearly spent an entire day there.

Now issues I saw, one, a taxi type creature's feet did not move while taking me a new village....that's it for me, I guess I've been lucky.

So you can not go wrong with this game unless your one of the few that has technical difficulties (devs and CS are very open to the community, speak and they shall likely answer). I can easily see this gaming actually being worth the sub fee which so many recent MMOs were not. I am now once again a PC MMO player and will likely have to split my time between Wildstar and destiny. You should be too.
  11. Jun 3, 2014
    I've been playing MMOs for quite some time and let me tell you, Wildstar is not a WoW clone by a long shot. Sure, its colorful and slightly cartoonish, but you have to understand that that type of art style ages well in the gaming industry. The graphics in this game are top notch for this genre of gaming, the cartoonish art style will age well as new textures and features are added. TheI've been playing MMOs for quite some time and let me tell you, Wildstar is not a WoW clone by a long shot. Sure, its colorful and slightly cartoonish, but you have to understand that that type of art style ages well in the gaming industry. The graphics in this game are top notch for this genre of gaming, the cartoonish art style will age well as new textures and features are added. The combat is great and differs greatly from many other tab-targeting MMOs. The abilities feel fluid as does the combat in general, the PVP is actually based on skill (got to aim your shots), the raids are intense, warplots (you have to look that up), in-game physics give it a real world feel, the environments are equally interesting and differed in look, and the list goes on. This game does have the standard MMO type of questing though. Do NOT be mistaken though, all the quests are not these filler "kill 10 rats" quests either. The minority of quests are actually kill-fetch quests while the majority are actually quite enjoyable and interesting. The overall story in the game keeps you interested in the history of Nexus and the Eldan content provides amazing endgame. I have logged approximately 300 hours in this game during beta alone. I understand MMOs and understand what MMO fans want. If you've enjoyed WoW, Warhammer, SWTOR, (even ESO), Guild Wars 1 and 2, etc. etc. etc. I highly recommend you check Wildstar out for yourself. The game has so much to offer and absolutely will not disappoint you. WAB. Expand
  12. Jun 3, 2014
    The best game ever! Fresh, interesting, great community and loads of content. Combat system is perfect and quests and challenges make the game very enjoyable. 10/10.
  13. Jun 3, 2014
    Best MMO on the market right now. I love the combat system, because it is highly dynamic and the telegraphing is a great feature. I like how deeply you can customize your character, from appearance down to your skills and abiltiies, making each character unique. You choose 8 skills from a large pool, and then tweak their emphasis with ability points. You can also customize further withBest MMO on the market right now. I love the combat system, because it is highly dynamic and the telegraphing is a great feature. I like how deeply you can customize your character, from appearance down to your skills and abiltiies, making each character unique. You choose 8 skills from a large pool, and then tweak their emphasis with ability points. You can also customize further with AMPs, their version of talents, of which there are 90 total to choose from.

The housing system is also amazing. Each player gets a house around level 15, and you can customize it in infinite ways, with very powerful tools to do so. There are hundreds if not thousands of items you can place in your house, and you can rotate them along 3 axes, scale them up or down, and place them exactly where you'd like.

Finally, if you haven't seen it already, check out the developer video on raids, it's awesome :D
  14. Jun 3, 2014
    Wildstar is the best thing since TBC and WotLK (up to and including Ulduar, before all the casualization started). It's literally the game that WoW would be if it launched in 2013/14.

The questing. Many people complain that Wildstar has bad questing. It's not true. It's the same old questing that every other MMORPG out there has (maybe except of TSW, but I didn't play that game, so I can't voice my opinion). It's just the usual "kill X, gather Y, fetch Z". The difference is that Carbine didn't spend millions of dollars on voice acting (like SWTOR and probably TESO did) that becomes irrelevant after you pass the questing content, instead they spend it on dungeons, raids and developing new content. There is one more difference about questing. Wildstar's questing truly does teach you how to play the game. It's not hardcore experience by any means, but it's infinitely harder than questing in other MMORPGs. By level 50 you have to become a decent player, or you'll just die on every pack of mobs.

There's one annoying thing about questing - challenges. There's just too many of them. Fortunately, you can disable them if you don't want to bother with them.

Alright, I wrote about the questing first, because that's the first thing you do. Now let's talk about combat.

Combat is incredible. WoW has set the new frontier for fluid and responsive combat. No game has matched WoW's combat for 10 years. Well, now it has. Wildstar's combat is just as fluid and responsive. It's also more demanding and engaging, since you have to stay constantly on the move. And don't even get me started on healing - but let's just say there's a reason why healers have pretty much as long queues as dpsers. Spoiler: it's because it's just so damn fun.

Crafting is, generally speaking, great. I'll leave discovering everything about crafting to you, I'll just speak about the only flaw of the system. There's no way to repeat an old craft multiple times, every time you have to manually add the additives. Gets pretty dull if you have to craft, say, 10 of the same item. I'm pretty sure an addon will solve that soon, or Carbine will, given time. This is just a matter of polishing, really.

Now to the best part. Dungeons. Even the entry dungeons are equal to WoW's raids (I'd say they are equal to flex/normal raids in terms of difficulty). They are challenging, they require the whole team to know how to play. They are definitely not Deadmines. And the most important part is - they are just so damn well designed and FUN.

I can't speak for end-game content and PvP, so I'll leave it to the others. I'll just say it again: Wildstar is the new WoW. Whether it will be nearly as successful is to be decided (it probably won't), but it definitely deserves it.

Just try the game and get to level 15 for the first adventure and 20 for dungeons. You'll be amazed, that's guaranteed. This game is not TESO or SWTOR. The hype is real this time. Don't listen to idiots giving Wildstar 1/10 or 0/10.
  15. Jun 3, 2014
    Coming from an extensive MMO background I had really high expectations for WildStar. Of course I compare everything against those other big MMOs and many new ones have just not met expectations. After playing WS for months in the beta (where I had a max level character) I am happy to say that WS is probably the best MMO I have ever played.

The combat is fluid and responsive and the

The combat is fluid and responsive and the telegraphs and level of movement make every fight fun, no more standing in one spot spamming a rotation. There is quite a large amount of content for a new release, BGs, adventures, raids, dungeons, war plots and open world events. It really feels like they have taken the best stuff from every MMO and put it together to make the one we have all been waiting for.
  16. Jun 10, 2014
    This MMO makes a lot of fu****** fun.
    It feels like they made sth. new and combined it with the best part of other MMOs.
    PvP is amazing because of the fighting mechanics.
    Dungeons are a lot of fun because of the dodging elements.
    PvE rewards you with the perfect amount of Items and EXP.
  17. Jun 4, 2014
    I cant believe I made an effort to register just to review this...so much work....BUT...Wildstar is worth it.

Deep systems aside, its the small details that is making me fall in love with the game. Interacting with world objects is not just point and click, you are subjected to mini taps and memory games..Leveling up is a shock sometimes cos you are having so much fun you forgot you are about to DING and the LEVELUP announcement jumps at you with fireworks and varied announcements congratulating your BADASSNESS. Yayyyyyyy.

Friggin awesome.

The small details of love made this game 10/10 for me. Check it out.
  18. Jun 3, 2014
    Easily the most feature complete MMO, possibly even comparing it to WoW as it stands today. Combine that with a ridiculously deep end game progression system for solo, group, raid and PvP and players that love MMOs will find no lack of things to do for a long, long time. Again, far different story compared to other recent releases.

If you love WoW, you owe it to yourself to give

If you love WoW, you owe it to yourself to give WildStar a try... it's from the same mold in that it feels familiar, but different enough and deep enough with a great story to suck you in.
  19. Jun 4, 2014
    This is based on a month of beta and first 5 days of actual release:
    -the game definitelly could use some optimisation - the graphics it runs do not justify its steep requirements;
    This is based on a month of beta and first 5 days of actual release:
    -crafting system imo is over-complicated, with unclear UI, which turns actual crafting into fighting against its own UI. Also - usefulness of some crafting choices is questionable - e.g. achitects earn huge money on AH, while weaponsmithing is a one big money-sink;
    -questing - very uninspiring 'go x, kill y, fetch z' - nothing new, altough the bizzare/childish sense of humor is refreshing; people complain a bit about scaling issues; difficult to gasp for an MMO title - but group questing does not offer any kind of incentives and actually feels counter-productive;
    -group pve: a) HUUUge class balance issues due to telegraph system and how it interacts with melee classes; In my opinion this is a major design flaw... b) instances/adventure zones are buggy...very dissapointing given the amount of beta-testing done to date; c) due to system of multiple decisions in dungeons, some runs turn out considerably more difficult than others - this is not clarified in tutorials; also - its easy to get lost in non-linear dungeons, since objective-tracking is not perfected;
    -very decent music, but sound effects quickly become a nuisance and source of headaches;
    -housing has some potential - its a good idea, with some not-overpowered-perks, but overall looks like a simple money-sink;
    -in terms of customer service/launch issues - early access was a total mess - login errors, 2hour wait queues etc....fortunatelly this got more streamlined with official release; on second thought - early access was 100% NOT worth it;

Overall feels like a dusk of an MMO era...for a supposedly triple-A product, the actual game dissapoints....
  20. Jun 3, 2014
    It's been awhile that I didn't enjoy an MMO like this since Wow Vanilla. Dynamic combat system, beautifull graphics, interesting story and a lot of fun make this game a nice to have.
  21. Jun 24, 2014
    Game is 100% broken. There are teleporting bots on every server which mine all the minerals. I am not joking about teleporting bots, the are real and Wildstar (just like Guild Wars 2) is overrun with them. Carbine will do NOTHING about this because the bots are paying customers, if they couldn't fix them in GW2, they sure ain't fixin them in Wildstar. Disgraceful game, disgraceful company.
  22. Jun 3, 2014
    While Wildstar won't give you anything new, it will without doubt give you considerable amounts of solid fun. High production values and well-thought-out mechanics prove that this is indeed a quality title.

But you have done it all before.. you have read those static quest boxes, you have gathered x amount of that creature's questionable loot, you have delivered this to there, many MANY times already...

If you look at this game in that way, and it doesn't bother you - you will love Wildstar. It's another one of 'those' mmos you can slip right into and feel at home the first time you boot it up. It does everything you know well and it doesn't really try to do any more. The combat while it offers a few twists, is very much the staple of the currrent new-breed 'action combat' mmos - though it is clearly designed with a future console implementation in mind.

The game is oozing with charm. From the Warner Bros-esque landscapes to the zany cartoonish aesthetics of each character class, Wildstar is endearing in its personality. You will love all the classes from the adorably psychotic little Chua, to the sullenly undead Mordesh.

But if you want something more, if you want immersion and the feeling of true adventure, if you want that sandbox mmo that you can chip away at for months or even years, then sadly I feel you will have to look elsewhere.
  23. Jun 4, 2014
    As far as MMOs are concerned, I've played em all since writing an Anthropology thesis on Ultima Online. I thought I was done with/bored with the entire concept. Apparently not. I've had more fun with Wildstar than anything in a long time. Combat is superb. Adventures are superb. The tone and story are excellent. The world is incredibly engaging. Even more telling, my wife hasn'tAs far as MMOs are concerned, I've played em all since writing an Anthropology thesis on Ultima Online. I thought I was done with/bored with the entire concept. Apparently not. I've had more fun with Wildstar than anything in a long time. Combat is superb. Adventures are superb. The tone and story are excellent. The world is incredibly engaging. Even more telling, my wife hasn't liked a single MMO since Star Wars Galaxies, and she is playing right along side me and loving it. Whoever made this game deserves a pat on the back for a job superbly done. Expand
  24. Jun 3, 2014
    Wildstar: Pixar meets Douglas Adams meets WoW 2.0.
    It's so full of variety right from the start, no doubt it is one of the best MMO releases so far.
    I LOVE it!
  25. Jun 3, 2014
    What a breath of fresh air! I can easily say that this will be my MMO from here on out. Carbine is founded by the ORIGINAL blizzard team, and so this game oozes that magic that vanilla WoW did.

There's something about it, the music, the combat, the lore and feel of it just work and it's heartwarming. I wish this game the very best, and hope that the dis-creditors hang their heads in shame. Even if the game isn't to taste, giving it a 0 is a felony!

Great game, and I have no doubt it will win many awards. It doesn't dissapoint
  26. Jun 3, 2014
    I actually played a lot in beta but cancelled my pre-order because it didnt suit me at all, a lot is unclear from the beginning alot of menus and weird inventory things. The quests are boring, the paths even worse i was a settler and the only thing you could do was build 3 different things in eacht specific location in some kind of teleporter and later it dissapears, the combat is mightI actually played a lot in beta but cancelled my pre-order because it didnt suit me at all, a lot is unclear from the beginning alot of menus and weird inventory things. The quests are boring, the paths even worse i was a settler and the only thing you could do was build 3 different things in eacht specific location in some kind of teleporter and later it dissapears, the combat is might what attract people since its skill-based for the rest its a boring story, ugly graphics for 2014! and very confusing. Expand
  27. Jun 3, 2014
    The best MMORPG for long long time. I played the Openbeta and the Headstart (Level 37) and say this game roxxs.

Combat system is +++++++++. Best Combat System ever in a MMORPG!
    Housing is ultra Nice
    Dungeons are very funny

10/10! Carbine = Ex Blizzard world of Warcraft developer
    One feels that here the old Blizzard quality is available
  28. Jun 3, 2014
    Best MMO since WoW. I've played them all, one after another. GW2, Tera, Swtor, The Secret World, ESO etc... but none of them come close to the content and experience in this game. Not only is the PvP (Battlegrounds, Arenas) incredibly fun but the PvE content is challenging and rewarding. If you want a good MMO to play that has plenty of end-game content, look no further. 10/10
  29. Jun 3, 2014
    It hurts to see people scoring 0. This game is excellent, and I can not score it anything less than a 9. If WoW were to be made in the current day, I'm sure this would be it. I've seen enough (level 39) to know that it is excellent, and that I'm yet to see the eng game content (elder).

I can only assume the people scoring 0 are afraid that a game is about to push their current MMO off the podium, and are doing everything in their power to stop it. All hail Wildstar.
  30. Jun 3, 2014
    Best MMO I have played since BC WoW.

+ Good enough graphics with good enough fps. WoW makes my eyes bleed now. + Combat is tight and fun. + PvP and PvE dungeons rule. + Sides stuff such as housing and paths are nice. - Server Qs, but they are offering free realm transfers so I am not holding it against them. - Some people do not like questing. I like it so far. Ellevar kind of
    Best MMO I have played since BC WoW.

+ Good enough graphics with good enough fps. WoW makes my eyes bleed now.
    + Combat is tight and fun.
    + PvP and PvE dungeons rule.
    + Sides stuff such as housing and paths are nice.

- Some people do not like questing. I like it so far. Ellevar kind of sucks, but Auroria is way better.

1. Oct 29, 2014
    Carbine never was set to reinvent the wheel. But they put a nice set of custom rims on their vehicle. And then they strapped the whole thing on a space shuttle and send it into space.
  2. Oct 28, 2014
    For those burnt out on WOW's content, WildStar is easy to endorse. Immediately familiar to anyone who's visited Azeroth and with enough new twists on the tried-and-tested theme park formula, Carbine's game is so overflowing with stuff to do that it's certainly justified in asking for a subscription - even if less people seem prepared to sign up to one.
  3. Oct 20, 2014
    Wildstar banks on hardcore raid and instance difficulty as well as its excellently implemented "dancing" real time combat mechanic to offer something significantly new and fresh to the MMORPG scene. Low server population and annoying hints of a "Pay To Win More" model hold it back in certain areas, but it has all the potential of becoming a well established and much loved setting for years to come.