8.8

1. May 29, 2012
    The swan song of the old-school RPG. Where its peers like Might and Magic and Ultima went out with a whimper, the Wizardry series did it with a triumphant bang. There's a decent story which wraps up the trilogy neatly, but the game's focus is on its rich tactical combat system and deep character customization. The interface is finely polished, the multitude of character races and classesThe swan song of the old-school RPG. Where its peers like Might and Magic and Ultima went out with a whimper, the Wizardry series did it with a triumphant bang. There's a decent story which wraps up the trilogy neatly, but the game's focus is on its rich tactical combat system and deep character customization. The interface is finely polished, the multitude of character races and classes nearly perfectly balanced, and the voice acting by turns quirky, uproarious, and endearing. An absolute classic. Expand
  2. AJH
    Sep 23, 2009
    Sirtech ended with a bang, and a big one. The Wizardry series relates to 80s and 90s games fans through first person view and a small amount of 8-bit graphics and has a secret dungeon that that uses all 8-bit graphics and turn-by-turn movement. I give this a 10/10 for a remarkable story line and exelent gameplay.
  3. Dec 11, 2010
    Wizardry 8 is a last shard of an Era of old-school RPG. In the times, when BioWare was beginning to replace good-old RPG by character-centred ones, Wizardry 8 looks like a relic from the glorious past. And this relic still can do it!

Really hard fights - especially on high levels (both of characters and gameplay), when you can meet a group of casters and fighters. Such encounters require a deep understanding of gameplay mechanics, character abilities, weak spots of both your squad and enemies.

Really epic possibility to create endless set of character combinations (lots of classes, lots of races, and each combo really influences gameplay style): a squad of wizards or fighters, or a mixed dream-team? They all can reach the final, but, possibly, some of them - with MUCH more troubles.

Stylish! Long time ago forgotten idea of mix of hardcore sci-fi and sword-and-sorcery fantasy (nowadays replaced with Asian idea of "let's draw lots of nice stuff and not even try to explain why the heck this all is lying in one pile") looks brutally elegant. Giant metal constructions and starships of space empires are placed along with giant trees of spiritualist squirrels, monks, fish psionics... Ah, good old sci-fi!

Elegant ending of epic story. The game everyone must play to see how it was before, and to understand - these games have placed the base for modern concept of RPG. Sometimes I miss such games, their endless replayability and solid foundation.
  4. Jun 19, 2012
    A truly unique game combining good ole school dungeon crawling and phase-based combat with modern 3D graphics and sound. Everything in this game, from the (huge!) world design to the voice acting is top notch, and to this day it remains one of the best cRPGs in video game history. It's just too bad it went by so unnoticed, and that there's no hope for a sequel.
  5. Feb 24, 2014
    I was eagerly awaiting this game. I still consider its precedessor (Wizardry 7) to be one of the best RPGs ever made if not the best. Wizardry 8 brought me countless hours of immersive and fun game-play. I did fell for the turn-based RPGs of this style because of how much it resembled pen&paper gameplay and because of the strategy element. I played it recently and it was still good. TheI was eagerly awaiting this game. I still consider its precedessor (Wizardry 7) to be one of the best RPGs ever made if not the best. Wizardry 8 brought me countless hours of immersive and fun game-play. I did fell for the turn-based RPGs of this style because of how much it resembled pen&paper gameplay and because of the strategy element. I played it recently and it was still good. The story was nice, the atmosphere was still there. It also had a very good difficulty curve. The game had few problems resulting from the combat design, but there haven't been very much significant. I still think this game is one of the best in the genre. Expand
  6. D.M.
    Mar 14, 2002
    It's fantastic!
  7. RogerB.
    Aug 15, 2007
    This an ultimate labor of love from defunct Sir-Tech. It's one of the best statistics RPG ever. The world is huge, the settings interesting and the sheer amount of depth provided by a great time-tested class system is amazing (Wizardry had time to develop a very solid system in the past 20 years!). A must have!
  8. DannyC.
    Sep 16, 2007
    One of my all time favorite RPGs. The character creation is very well made with lots of classes, skills and customization allowing lots of replay value. That combined with tactical combat makes this game a real pleasure to fight monsters. I was impressed at the amaount of voice acting this game has, all characters scrips are voiced! The atmosphere and NPCs add a unique taste to the game One of my all time favorite RPGs. The character creation is very well made with lots of classes, skills and customization allowing lots of replay value. That combined with tactical combat makes this game a real pleasure to fight monsters. I was impressed at the amaount of voice acting this game has, all characters scrips are voiced! The atmosphere and NPCs add a unique taste to the game making it interesting to expolre the world of Wizardry 8. Too bad Sir-tech went bankrunpt after leaving this wonderful game. Expand
  9. Joe
    Nov 22, 2002
    The first RPG series ever! First game was released in 1980 for the Apple II computer. So, it really isn't strange that this is the best RPG ever.
  10. Suicide
    Apr 12, 2002
    Not only worth the wait, but I am hoping that this is not the last hurrah for the series! A true masterpiece for even the Werdna fans!
  11. Sep 17, 2013
    If you're a classic CRPG gamer, and you like turn based combat and have tolerance to "dated graphics"..then go out and buy this now! (Steam has it for $9.99) I am a late comer to this title but I picked it up and loaded it and haven't looked back. A great adventure in high fantasy along with GREAT turn based combat system.

The characters are complex and spending your bonus points

The characters are complex and spending your bonus points correctly requires some research and reading, but the gameplay is just so rewarding. If you like classic RPG gaming then this is a no brainer!
  12. Apr 6, 2015
    I think that it is the best RPG turn based game EVER!
    It was fun to play and I may be wrong but this is first game that had iron made mode. At least for me it was first game with this feature :)
    To bad that this company is not making more games :(
    Jagged Alliance creators come back!!!! :D
  13. Jun 21, 2014
    Truly amazing and well-polished old school RPG. While Might and Magic went the way of FPS-styled RPG, Wizardry stayed true to the format and delivered a game that is well-designed and engaging.

1. One of the most enjoyable parts of the game lies in crafting and later developing your party.
  2. Even the most jaded fans of the series should be delighted with the enormous strides in quality Sir-Tech took with this title.
  3. The game in many ways is an anachronism, with gameplay little changed from earlier versions of Wizardry, and marred by some truly awful 2D/3D renderings.