8.2

1. May 20, 2014
    Although not bringing masses to the fps market, Wolfenstein is propped up by successful writing, plot and graphics. The characters are relatable and Wolfenstein is an overall very good game.
  2. May 20, 2014
    I love the art. The gameplay is solid mix of old school from DOOM and Q universe, this is the best modern game that brought solid old school gameplay to 2014.

i gave it 9 out 10 because i expected better texture with 40+ GB of size.
  3. May 21, 2014
    Could have been great if fun, but the difficulty level is wonky: sometimes you have to take it down to survive other times you've left with plenty of ammo/health. Was this game balanced? In any way?
    Other thing deal-breaker for me: EVEN THE 1ST WOLFENSTEIN HAD SAVE/LOAD BACK IN 1992... Why do developers always have to think on the level of the console-gamer? It's a shame.
  4. May 22, 2014
    Cut scene, kill some people, cut scene, kill some people - repeat ad naseum.

Flashing objects and directions hold your hand so no thought is ever needed on your part. A ridiculous perk system that rewards retardation, an example, slide on your bum in stealth and headshot someone 5 times to unlock a perk?????? no ty. No innovation, no new ideas, no replayability. how are people giving
    Cut scene, kill some people, cut scene, kill some people - repeat ad naseum.

No innovation, no new ideas, no replayability. how are people giving this 9 or 10? amazing.

Its a game for kids. AVOID.
  5. May 20, 2014
    I found the game fun and challenging with much homage to the original games. Fast guns blazing hilarious action or stealth knife kills you get to do it all. Dual wield mayhem is a rush. It's a mature themed game to be sure the Nazi's are not holds barred evil and portrayed very true to life and creed. My only gripe was having no auto pickup on guns armor and ammo.
  6. May 23, 2014
    Yawn, it is 2014. Soldier of Fortune 12 years ago, you used to be able to shoot people in the throat, blow off limbs, and so it. I thought Wolfenstein might make an effort, but no. It is just same old stuff. You press the button, the bullet hits a "basic 3d primitive" and that counts as a hit. Hit them in the foot, hit them in the face, it is all the same thing. Lame, boring, yawn.Yawn, it is 2014. Soldier of Fortune 12 years ago, you used to be able to shoot people in the throat, blow off limbs, and so it. I thought Wolfenstein might make an effort, but no. It is just same old stuff. You press the button, the bullet hits a "basic 3d primitive" and that counts as a hit. Hit them in the foot, hit them in the face, it is all the same thing. Lame, boring, yawn. For some reason nothing is fun. Like they implemented "Iron Sights" and it is so unenjoyable to use that you just do not bother. And what is with the Shift+Control slide? Terrible controls. I gave this game 2 stars because atleast you can cut (some) cutscenes. It would have been 4 if it had been ALL cutscenes. The game is dull, that is its punishment and also its crime. Expand
  7. May 20, 2014
    4 hours to download, install, and patch on a 50mbps FIOS Quantum connection and 12 hours to finish the game on "Death Incarnate" difficulty. Despite the claims about the improvements offered by MegaTexture, they don't justify the file size when, on the highest settings, they still don't look all that great. at 1080p. Maybe 4k resolutions will get a benefit but that's debatable. Gunplay is4 hours to download, install, and patch on a 50mbps FIOS Quantum connection and 12 hours to finish the game on "Death Incarnate" difficulty. Despite the claims about the improvements offered by MegaTexture, they don't justify the file size when, on the highest settings, they still don't look all that great. at 1080p. Maybe 4k resolutions will get a benefit but that's debatable. Gunplay is great, story is good (but just shy of great), and replay value is moderate.

Not a game I'd recommend at the $60 price point and if you have slower internet or download caps, don't even bother (even the retail disk version requires a 10+GB day 1 patch).
  8. May 21, 2014
    We were promised 20 hours of play to complete, it only takes 9. We were promised high resolution textures, they are below sub-par. We were promised an epic tale, we get an average bland story. This makes the previous installment of the series look like platinum. Gone are the upgrades, gone is the sandbox free roaming. The gun play is boring and uninspiring and the weapons try way too hardWe were promised 20 hours of play to complete, it only takes 9. We were promised high resolution textures, they are below sub-par. We were promised an epic tale, we get an average bland story. This makes the previous installment of the series look like platinum. Gone are the upgrades, gone is the sandbox free roaming. The gun play is boring and uninspiring and the weapons try way too hard to copy from F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin and F.E.A.R. 3. Many gameplay elements are almost a 1:1 copy from F.E.A.R. 3 (mainly the mech ride.) The enemies are not stylish in a Nazi way, more like the same regularly armored steel soldier we've seen in post-apocalyptic games. The levels are painfully small and offer no exploration. The pace is like a snail, only the snail is dead and being dragged by a string. Not worth a $25 price never mind a $60 one. Also warning for German, Swiss and Austrian users, your governments have blocked the game in your region because of the use of Swastikas. Expand
  9. May 20, 2014
    A very poor offering indeed. The texture quality is very poor, even on the highest settings. The game requires you to perform finger gymnastics to get past certain scenes which is awkward. The game feels laggy with the mouse, no matter what settings I use. Finally, I had to manually set SLI. It seems the game prefers non-SLI? WTF? ... not impressed at all.
  10. Jul 20, 2014
    I am not sure why peoe find the story good here. Looking at the cutscene and trying not to laugh at it should be an included achievment by itself. It really feels like a 10 years old wrote that down and the devs said "Ok!". Its not AWFUL... Its just... It doesn' make sense most of the time. Like you steal 2 gigantic helicopter and you park them in the MIDDLE of a Nazi town plagued withI am not sure why peoe find the story good here. Looking at the cutscene and trying not to laugh at it should be an included achievment by itself. It really feels like a 10 years old wrote that down and the devs said "Ok!". Its not AWFUL... Its just... It doesn' make sense most of the time. Like you steal 2 gigantic helicopter and you park them in the MIDDLE of a Nazi town plagued with camera and this sound like a good idea? Wt*... How can this be "wow so cool!"?? And the game has this kind of strange stuff like taht non stop. It was seriously a pain going trough the story.

For gameplay, it's ok. The fact that you can have double gun with rifles is nice but overall its so useless because your aim is awful, you spend so much ammo and you walk slower. You use it 2 times and then see that uts an awful way to shoot at ennemies so you just hide yourself and do headshot.

And GOD, for a shooter that is named Wolfenstein stop asking me to look non stop on the ground to press a button to grab ammo or health. God... This is not an RPG. Its a shooter where you want to destroy your ennemy. Each time you enter a room you must search for ammos and hp because if you dont you will die so its alwahs taht mini search game looking at the ground for ammos. Sounds loke fun?

And the laser gun... I suppose they wanted their gravity gun or something like that, but overall it seems pushed on you and plain annoying to use and recharge. Its powerful yes, but man I am playing wolfenstein: I want to shoot shotguns and non stop rifle on the ennemy. But you will be forced to use that laser gun.

Its an ok shooter for 10$ max. 60$ is way too much. And also way too short.
  11. Sep 8, 2014
    When I bought the game I promised myself to be open-minded and not to judge book by its cover. Was I disappointed? In a way: yes. Don't get me wrong, the premise, the atmosphere and the story itself are thought-over and executed well enough to satisfy my sentiments (mind you: I count myself as an avid id games fan), but there are too many things that let me down.

Sin 1) Checkpoints:

Sin 1) Checkpoints: you cannot save game, when you make mistake, you have either to "live with it", or restart from checkpoint - of which some are scattered unevenly across chapters. Even worse, sometimes you aren't even able to backtrack between them (see sin 3). Just think about a piece of action when you silently killed 15 Nazis, but somehow the 16th managed to avoid the execution and sounded the alarm... Kaboom! You have no option but deal with the mayhem or do everything from the beginning.
    Sin 2) The cut scenes - they irritated me rather than moved the story forward. In fact by developers' choice some of the player actions are cutscenes as well. Take the attack of the panzerhund: not only you don't have choice of weapon (knife), but in some cases made the dog invincible to any weapon when attacking (because the cutscene took over while I was firing at it).
    Sin 3) Open world? Where's the bloody open world? The game and gameplay is annoyingly linear (don't be fooled by "choices" it offers you - not only they are marginal for the action, but they don't influence the outcome). Also you are VERY limited in exploring the surroundings, even to the point that finding an alternate route makes the game "glitch" - like Nazis spawning behind you in corridor you just explored.

Not a sin, but still a thing to think about: the fun factor. Lets face it, I'm still having more fun with trusty, TEN YEAR OLD Half Life 2 than The New Order. I don't recall ANY game that made me curse so much as Wolfenstein - not because it challenged me, but because I was powerless to affect what was unfolding.
  12. Aug 12, 2014
    About the only thing this game has to offer are the cut scenes, though using your knife to take out hordes of bad guys can be entertaining for 2 hours or so. The voice actors did a great job and the graphics are spot on, other than that it's hard to like this game. Space Nazi's and battery powered guns that need to be recharged using a wall panel aside, there are some real problems withAbout the only thing this game has to offer are the cut scenes, though using your knife to take out hordes of bad guys can be entertaining for 2 hours or so. The voice actors did a great job and the graphics are spot on, other than that it's hard to like this game. Space Nazi's and battery powered guns that need to be recharged using a wall panel aside, there are some real problems with this one. Save points in the middle of gun fights leave you respawning into fire with less than 10 health and having your guns removed or reset constantly while carrying over the ammunition you had at the end of the last level (sometimes almost none) leaves you scratching your head. There's also a forceful attempt to turn the games laser cutter into your favourite weapon, which doesn't have the desired effect. I found myself hating my allies and wishing it was over already by the time I was 2/3 the way through. Luckily the store I got it from offers store credit if you don't like the game. I'll be taking them up on that offer. Expand
  13. Jul 14, 2014
    A game that has an ok start but turns up to be just another average console shooter port. The story is nice, but whatever good comes of it is slowly eradicated by some very basic enemy AI and the absolute linearity of the game itself. If you expect something special from this game you might be disappointed.
  14. Jun 21, 2014
    Not terrible, but not really what I was expecting. Graphically it was nice, no major problems for me, except some very occasional slowness after restarting a checkpoint.

Starts well enough, but after a few chapters it changes to feel very Half-life-ish - slower pacing, big industrial complexes, battling an oppressive regime, crates! etc. I liked the Half-life series, so this wasn't so bad, but not really what I was expecting.

Let down by:
    - Too many cutscenes, and the fact that they are 3rd person. I found it quite jarring the way it breaks up the flow of the 1st person action. Contrast this with HL series where you remain 1st person during the whole game.

- a poor save system (no quick save/quick load!), which makes the game tedious if you're struggling on a particular section: hearing the same dialog over and over when the scene begins etc, and fighting the same fights again. Also the checkpoint isn't a saved with your stats/weapons - it seems to reset to some default. And if you run through a section, not killing enemies, hit the checkpoint, then die, when you reload the enemies are all gone! This just seems lazy on the developer's part.

- It just wasn't really that enjoyable. Not enough action, bland story and characters... and lacking in a certain immature humour or deviant nature that Id titles had. It felt quite ...sterile.
  15. Nov 29, 2014
    I love Wolfenstein. I love hightech mystical magical nazi mumbo-jumbo thingies and I always will. But the Wolfenstein N.O. just broke my heart. I was so excited to play this game. So eager to get into nazi genocide once more. Once more to save the world from evil with B.J. But instead of good shooter we've got empty storyline with flat characters and wannabe love story. B.J. is like dumberI love Wolfenstein. I love hightech mystical magical nazi mumbo-jumbo thingies and I always will. But the Wolfenstein N.O. just broke my heart. I was so excited to play this game. So eager to get into nazi genocide once more. Once more to save the world from evil with B.J. But instead of good shooter we've got empty storyline with flat characters and wannabe love story. B.J. is like dumber brother of Max Hoss most of the time. Things doesn't work properly in most of the cases, like you cannot go with just sneaking and silent killing because nazis will see you even in darkest places, you can get stuck on the place by invisible wall or just held by some furniture. Half of the game is boring platforming, cut-scenes which I really hated and helping people who doesn't give a **** about you. Seriously there was a guy with assault rifle crouching and yelling at you but he never made a single shot. And who's idea was putting knife throwing button on mouse 3?! This game is so "console" made it hurts my eyes. Every time I saw a chance to let B.J. die I let it happen. Because he deserves that. If the B.J. from first Wolf 3D would live he would definitely smash the face of this **** for good. He is so dumb and other characters just use him for their own purposes. At the end of the game he crawls bleeding to the crowd of people and than fell to the ground when he reaches them. But they just shout some **** and let him there to rot . Even his great polish love! Seriously! And in next cut-scene another character needs help from him in stuck elevator, because dozen of people standing out of elevator cannot do it. The game, B.J. and most of other things are so stupid it hurts. Dumb nazis are damn sharpshooters and they can hit you even behind the corners. They also know how to teleport and most of the times spawn out of nowhere when you reach certain spot. You want to get all golden items and other collectibles? Ok, there is just one chance to do it so run around all corners and peek into every hole, because once you get through some point, you cannot turn back. Seriously that big muscled man cannot jump on most objects and don't know how to climb! So if you missed something, restart your checkpoint. And speaking of checkpoints, they are most evil thing of this game. What the hell is wrong with good old quicksaves. Instead of saving you got some weird checkpoints and when you die, which happens a lot, you will load from the checkpoint, which is far away and mostly behind big battles, where you will die again and again and again ... So my humble opinion after this horrible experience is, there is something very wrong with people these days, if they like games like this and make games like this and call it old style FPS's and other bull****. They probably never played old style FPS and doesn't know what they're talking about. The days of Carmack are certainly gone and this game is another tombstone to FPS games. Expand
  16. Jul 8, 2014
    Pros: I really like the end game SONG! The in game sounds and graphics are very good. Even the gameplay is strong and can be fun (the weapons are excellent).

Cons: The story is nonsensical and caters to adolescents! Way over the top violence (for what purpose) and subtle sex just for the teenage boys. The main character is a jack of all trades in personality and doesn't logically make sense in terms of consistency or plausibility. Key story elements in the game are accomplished and artificially become irrelevant. I could explain in details, but it would to contain spoilers..

Overall: Thank goodness I got it on a Steam sale for $29.99 (it is not worth $50+ dollars - not even close). Id apparently is only good with game mechanics, the story could have been so much better... I wish them luck with Doom 4.
  17. Oct 30, 2015
    This game hardly feels like Wolfenstein. And not only that, but even without taking in consideration the legacy of the name, it's a bad game, honestly.

First of all I'll comment on the technical aspect of it. Well it's no wonder that Carmack left Bethesda after he made idTech5, because the engine is currently the worst game engine there is. It isn't even on the same leage with other engines such us Unity, Unreal, or Cryengine. This game is made with idTech5, which is a very bad engine. First of all, the engine uses textures in such a way that they take way too much space, something obvious by the 50gb this game is. But while the textures are themselves big, don't make the mistake to think that they are appropriately detailed. In the game you will find many textures looking as if they were taken from a Playstation 1 game. Return to Castle Wolfenstein had better looking textures, and RTCW is a game from 2003, for God's shake! The game's lack of adequate anisotropic filtering even on the ultra settings makes the game's image too blury, and along with the nasty Depth of Field effect, visually, the game looks like a way overblurry pixel soup. Add to all that the unexplained fact that the developers decided to simulate color blindness for some reason which ended with the game being in various shades of gray, and you got a really ugly game, that's uncanny to look at.

As if these weren't enough, the engine as I wrote earlier is awful, and thus the image is grainy kind of like how there was snow in old CRT analogue TVs when the signal of a TV station wasn't good, plus there are incredible amounts of screen tearing, and even on Ultra graphic settings, there is no Antialiasing, and as a result everything is juggy and lots of things flicker. Your head starts acking after an hour or so of playing this game because of all of these. There are also bugs, like for example enemies hitting you through walls. Oh, and the game randomly crashes...

So now that I've told you about the technical side of this game, I will write about its bad design. Supposedly it's an FPS, though since I started a new campaign, 40 minutes passed until it gave me a gun to shoot and do what is done in a real FPS game. For 40 minutes the game was playing cutscenes and had me either doing stuff boring and unrelated to FPSs, like finding tools and fixing a pipe, or having my character just stand without me having to do anything because NPCs were talking and I had to listen. That's bad. It's not normal for an FPS game to pass 40 minutes without having a gun and something to shoot with it. Aside from that, who in the world thought that the first ever moment that character control is given to the player, it would be a good idea to have the character in a tight place were he can barely move, and with a timer counting seconds and killing the character off, before the player even have had the opportunity to try out pressing buttons / keys to see what each does and how the game reacts ? Bad, bad, bad! The developers should go back to a Game Design 101 class.

Playing the game isn't such a fun experience. Even when it gives you guns, and you have enemies to shoot, the weapons feel weightless, weak, and fake, let alone that they cover half the screen. It also managed to be less interactive than past Wolfenstein games. When you go to the castle level at this game, and you shoot at the Knight Armors that stand there, nothing happens, you shoot at the paintings and nothing happens either, while in Return to Castle Wolfenstein, the Knight Armor would fall and break, and the paintings would break to pieces too. I thought that as time passes and hardware becomes more powerful, and the industry more experienced, that interactivity would go up in video games, but instead, if we look at the Wolfenstein series it seems that games become more and more unresponsive, non reacting, non interative, things.

And it isn't much of a Wolfenstein experience either. Don't let the supposed medkit system fool you. There are medkits every 10 steps you make so its practically the same thing. It's a Call of Duty clone, complete with iron sights, cover system, simplistic linear level design, 3-4 other soldiers to help you open a door, others talking to your cliche earpiece and giving you orders, waypoint arrows that show you were to go, and all that poop.

If you are a Wolfenstein fan stay away to not get the series and your childhood ruined. Even the Wolfenstein game from 2009 that in its time was considered bad, feels way better than this.
  18. Jun 15, 2014
    The game is solid, by that i mean that the game has few bugs and actually i have enjoyed playing through the campaign. The protagonist always gives you that feeling that through adversity, the brave can triumph against opression.

I love the scenery that blazkowicz has to transverse, from the aerial shooting stuff, to the ground combat, the environment leaves you in no uncertain mind what you are up against. I like this, the nazi symbology and signs etc give depth to the linear levels.

Critically,
    i have a few issues, first i wish blazkowicz had more attitude, i know it's not duke nukem but the guy's a hero, i had hoped he's be more carefree in his prose.

I had hoped the game would stick to it's occult roots. This is semi-evident in the game but doesn't take it to the heights that i was used to in previous games.

The combat rose in clunky, in that there seems little benefit in equipping 2 of the same weapon, when hiding and precision grants you more success.

HEALING AURA ACTIVE...

Yeah,mulitplayer. Sad because any game with the right mechanics in multi can usurp the big 2, there is a market there to offer a different experience to bf/cod but it has not been taken. The only reason i feel that this feature has not been a fundamental part of the game is that they felt they would lose users if they charged for dlc/add-ons
  19. Jul 26, 2014
    It could have been a great game...if it was not developed by Bethesda. The plot and the story looks good, but the idTech engine is simply not up to the task to handle a Wolfenstein and is also a threat to your health. Wolfenstein should be a king of the FPS games, not an n+1 half-done thing out of the factory. The Bethesda graphical environment can still cause serious headaches for someIt could have been a great game...if it was not developed by Bethesda. The plot and the story looks good, but the idTech engine is simply not up to the task to handle a Wolfenstein and is also a threat to your health. Wolfenstein should be a king of the FPS games, not an n+1 half-done thing out of the factory. The Bethesda graphical environment can still cause serious headaches for some sensitive to it, so if you experienced this before (in Dishonored or Elder Scrolls games for example), don't play it, or stop when you feel dizzy, or else the game will make you sick. Some suggests, that changing the FOV might help, but unfortunately that's not always the case. Expand
  20. Jun 7, 2014
    Not great, but good.

Its perks are too easy to achieve, in an attempt to enhance replay value. The game is too much frolic, not enough oomph. It's no Far Cry or Deus Ex...it's linear and not overly challenging or exciting. Blase' is the word I'd use. I've come to expect more of Bethesda. I'd put this on the level of other good, but not great, games like RAGE or Metro (both of them).
    Not great, but good.

What's disappointing is that the game makes it feel like actions don't really matter. There's no tension...no consequence...if anything, when you die you are actually rewarded with unlocking more perks.

All in all, not terrible, but the overall feel is weakened by putting more emphasis on walking through levels and collecting ways of play than actual success. Too easy, too much handholding, while at the same time confusing at times (especially early on) with poor tutorials and unnecessary control options (lean, cover that are not explained).

The story and fun in shooting are adequate, though. I'm not sorry I bought it. I am sorry I bought it for $60 when I would rather be playing bioshock 2, which I got for less than 10 on sale.

Put it on the back burner and buy on the cheap. It's fun-ish!
  21. Jun 4, 2014
    I was really hoping for this to be really great game since I first saw all these amazing trailers. And it nearly became true! It's like watching an amazing movie with great plot twists etc., however I quite missed more personal interactions with other characters and side-quests. And I was quite disappointed how the "alternative storyline" turned out. In overall it is really breathtakingI was really hoping for this to be really great game since I first saw all these amazing trailers. And it nearly became true! It's like watching an amazing movie with great plot twists etc., however I quite missed more personal interactions with other characters and side-quests. And I was quite disappointed how the "alternative storyline" turned out. In overall it is really breathtaking piece and I will love to play it again in the future. Expand
  22. Jun 11, 2014
    Wolfenstein. One of the games that biult the genre of shooters. What have you become?
    No hardcore. Absolutely no challenge in the game. I played FPS using gamepad for the very first time of my life, I felt myself easily when playing second hardest difficulty. Sad, really sad. That ruined my feelings about the game. This era left a dlan of "press X to win" even on a new Wolfenstein, but all in all, this is a good game worth buying.
  23. Feb 12, 2015
    It's stunning. From reviews I expected somethin a little bold, but I got something outright brilliant. Technically it's a masterpiece and the W:TNO story is crystal clear and engaging.

I had to look on youtube to see how to beat the mini-boss just before the last boss. Plus I had to look how to get started on the last boss. That really is the only failing of W:TNO. Another boss in an earlier chapter had me shooting at it for about thirty minutes before I had to go online. I had no idea what to do. Plus a particular area lit up red in the crosshair but I discovered had nothing to do with defeating it. That's the main grumble out the way. The second aspect I didn't like was being made to search back and forth for items in the base. I like exploring the graphically well designed sets. Just not be made to whizz from room to room again and again when NPC's want something else finding.

8.6/10. Sorry no higher because those bosses made me scream. However I don't quite feel I want to round it off to 9/10.

People will probably hate me and mark my review down for saying this. However I don't much like WW2 concept games. W:TNO isn't in the same vein as you average WW2 shooter though. It's sci-ridden and it's excellent sci-fi. I got vaguley interested in the recent Wolfenstein because it had an occult theme. It's not on Steam though and too expensive on ebay. That is what lead me to looking at W:TNO. I am glad I did.

Beyond it's excellent graphics, the sets themselves are superb. I mean they are as imaginitively realised as any I have seen. The audio is equally well handled. There is music that fits the story, set, and tension. The sound effects are top notch. At one point I kept pushing up the volume to hear the music, which was a tech tune. I fired the heavy assault rifle and gave my self a shock. It was loud but it wasn't the volume. It was how realistic it all was for a couple of seconds.
  24. Dec 29, 2014
    A welcome comeback to a more traditionnal gameplay after the era of "get to cover 5 sec to fully regen your health" FPS. This game remid you the pressure you get when you are about to die after a hard passage, and the joy of then finding a medkit. Having the actual possibilty to choose how to deal with a situation between stealth and going full frontal in most level is quite welcomeA welcome comeback to a more traditionnal gameplay after the era of "get to cover 5 sec to fully regen your health" FPS. This game remid you the pressure you get when you are about to die after a hard passage, and the joy of then finding a medkit. Having the actual possibilty to choose how to deal with a situation between stealth and going full frontal in most level is quite welcome (although I don't recomment doing the latter too much on the highest difficulty level).

The storyline in itself is good, and the cutscenes don't feel like nuisances even when you know what isgoing to happen and you easily feel immersed in it, although the ending could have used some work.

The game in iself however is slightly short (10 hours to finish it), and unless you did the game full stealth and you want to do it again full assault (or the opposite), its replay value is quite low and the exploration is quite limited. The graphics are also slightly disappointing.

Overall, it's a good game, but it is not a revolution that will relaunch the classical genre of FPS.
  25. Jan 6, 2015
    this game is what HL2 has been in 2004...
    the new standart for the shooter genre! nobody expected anything from shooter these days....walk point A, shoot x waves, walk to the next point...story? don´t bother it´s bad anyways...
    this game, has everything! Graphics, weapons, sound, characters, a smart and well written story and it plays so smoothly! As for those who didnt know,
    this game is what HL2 has been in 2004...

As for those who didnt know, MachineGames is a swedish developer team build from ex-starbreeze members, which brought us the Darkness and Riddick games.
  26. Nov 20, 2014
    It's been far too long since a game dabbled in the histories of WW2. Long gone is the era of fighting off waves of Nazis and blowing up Hitler. Wolfenstein luckily recaptures some of that nostalgia. Albeit, intertwined with the weirdest and nastiest machines, guns and explosions. It's worth the purchase, even if for the campaign run-through. I had fun, but once it was completed, I had noIt's been far too long since a game dabbled in the histories of WW2. Long gone is the era of fighting off waves of Nazis and blowing up Hitler. Wolfenstein luckily recaptures some of that nostalgia. Albeit, intertwined with the weirdest and nastiest machines, guns and explosions. It's worth the purchase, even if for the campaign run-through. I had fun, but once it was completed, I had no real intention of wanting to come back to it. Fun to watch and fun to play. 7/10 Expand
  27. phz
    May 27, 2014
    A great short story perfected with good music in the background
    one of the best action shooter I've ever played

Interesting 1960 music Interpreted and translated into German language
    have a look http://www.wolfenstein-spiel.de/site
  28. Jun 4, 2014
    I was expecting Wolfenstein: The New Order to be just another generic shooter using a classic series to drive interest but I was pleasantly surprised to find the game to be a fun and engrossing FPS with a fantastic story and great gunplay mechanics.

The game takes place in 1946 after the Nazi's won WWII and you play agent William 'BJ' Blazkowicz in a Allied force team taking on General Wilhelm "Deathshead" Strasse and his high-tech weapon and human experiment lab. The story goes much deeper as the game progresses with lots of detail and narrative development but I won't expand at the risk of spoiling such a captivating plot.

The presentation is slick and the locations are very nicely designed. It captures the classic feel of the Wolfenstein games and brings itself into the modern gaming era with a polished engine and atmospheric missions. The guns are huge fun to use and the combat is fast paced and fluid.

However the game is guilty in some respects of falling victim to the typical modern day shooters we see today. There are too many scripted sequences and forced gameplay scenarios which mimic that of the campaigns of Call of Duty and Battlefield. The cutscenes are plentiful too although these are intriguing rather than sometimes annoying like the frequent 'push-button to activate scripted events'.

The game isn't massive - I estimate perhaps 10+ hours although there is plenty of replay value here. There is no multiplayer either but Wolfenstein The New Order is a smart and brilliant game in its own right.

Unfamiliar fans of the series may want to hold back and wait until the price drops but if you are a fan of Wolfenstein and/or love FPS games; this is definitely worth a look today.
  29. May 29, 2014
    Gripping atmospheric, exciting and soooooo much fun, the FPS shooter is back folks :-) every bit as amazing as the original but with the atmosphere of Quake.
  30. Aug 30, 2014
    This is a fun game but it could have been better. The good parts are the game play, as in there are many ways to play it, you can go in guns blazing or find another way around your enemy if you like to stay out of sight more. Interesting combat, where the wall maybe destroyed by enemy fire, or you may shoot out of an air duct to surprise your enemies and so on. But there are some thingsThis is a fun game but it could have been better. The good parts are the game play, as in there are many ways to play it, you can go in guns blazing or find another way around your enemy if you like to stay out of sight more. Interesting combat, where the wall maybe destroyed by enemy fire, or you may shoot out of an air duct to surprise your enemies and so on. But there are some things that aren't so great like the you have to recollect your guns every new chapter, A.I.s sometimes ignore you or the bodies they see, and the story feels like it doesn't ultimately reach a closure where there are like there is a part of the story is missing or a few major characters that the story just leaves out at the end leaving for a ending that makes you wonder where did they go or what happens to them. Summing it up the game play mostly good the story is okay and a sort of cliff hanger ending. Expand
  31. Jul 19, 2014
    must say, the game has convinced me, there are still good shooters being released. i loved to play it, graphics are massive & the story was well contained through the whole game. but what i must say, i wouldn't buy it for the full price, rent it or buy it when the price drops. like bioshock infinite, an unique impressive experience, but not for this price.
  32. May 27, 2014
    This game is a definitely a top 10 of my all time favorites. It definitely belongs in the group of latest top notch games such as Metro Last Light, Borderlands 2 and Bioshock. Unlike the latest Call of Duty junk(take a good game, butcher it and you'll get COD:Ghosts) this game gives player an option to go slow and stealth or go fast and furious based on one's mood. The story line is richThis game is a definitely a top 10 of my all time favorites. It definitely belongs in the group of latest top notch games such as Metro Last Light, Borderlands 2 and Bioshock. Unlike the latest Call of Duty junk(take a good game, butcher it and you'll get COD:Ghosts) this game gives player an option to go slow and stealth or go fast and furious based on one's mood. The story line is rich and long with smooth transitions between cutscenes and action. Unlike other pretenders give you a cutscene at the end of a level, this game has cutscenes throughout each level which keeps the story flowing and levels long and elaborate.

Of course, the graphics are top notch, so it the sound effects and music score: a must for any game to be a contender.
  33. Feb 27, 2015
    I love the responsiveness of the engine, the fast shooting FPS action. This reminds me of the good old quake and doom days. This engine should be used to make other FPS games. I would definitely buy a plain simple fast paced FPS game using this engine. Otherwise the level design, enemies, balance of this game is mediocre. I like the characters and story, that's above average. But I loveI love the responsiveness of the engine, the fast shooting FPS action. This reminds me of the good old quake and doom days. This engine should be used to make other FPS games. I would definitely buy a plain simple fast paced FPS game using this engine. Otherwise the level design, enemies, balance of this game is mediocre. I like the characters and story, that's above average. But I love the game play, other FPS games do not have this fast response - this is where this engine really excels. I would give it a 7, because sometimes you just run around and it is easy, then you enter a room and you have to replay it 30 times because it is so difficult. But I give the engine a 9. So the final score is 8 :) Just please do not use this engine to make **** games like Evil Withing, instead make some fast paced FPS. Expand
  34. May 27, 2014
    The New Order has set the bar for the first-person shooter in 2014 while reviving a franchise with both originality and observance of its history. This game is a well-balanced solution of all the ingredients in a rewarding shooter: combat, story, cinematics, graphics, discovery, and, again, originality.

As with any self-respecting shooter, The New Order's combat is solid. The firearms are predictable and rewarding to the player. The gun inventory feels conservative in this game, but it doesn't hold the game back. Rather, the player becomes intimately familiar with the parts of his or her inventory while being reminded that you're an enemy on the run and you're making due not with your army's weapons but that of your foe. The stealth aspects of the game are a viable alternative to clearing chapters in the style of Rambo. Stealth is simple, challenging, and as rewarding as the gun combat. The perk system also helps to empower the player to choose either approach to the combat.

The New Order's dystopian take on an alternative post-WWII reality, while in words does not sound original, is both new and engaging. In doing so, the player is subjected to a range of experiences that gives the story weight and meaning while carefully reminding the player that much of this was reality for so many people without being historic or bibliographic.

All of the cinematics in The New Order are rendered in game. This serves the game well, as there's a nearly seamless visual transition between cinematic and live play, adding to the sense of immersion that the player will experience. The facial representations, greatly bolstered by id Tech 5, are so realistic as to become the focus of almost all cinematic action - it's natural, even!

The graphics have definitely contributed to a rocky start for the New Order, there is no denying. Once, however, you've coaxed your rig into a stable state, there are a few tweaks that are needed to reach a state where the graphics are a part of the experience and not a distraction. Namely, the engine's handling of textures are fields of view less than 100 can be extremely distracting. Some particle lighting effects can be confusing, as the player will expect a usable/collectable object only to find it was a spark. This point speaks mostly to the next topic, however.

Discovery in The New Order, speaking of treasure, records, Enigma Codes, was a mechanic that I had several progressing opinions of throughout my playthrough. At the beginning of the campaign, I really didn't care at all about treasure or Enigma codes; I had no idea what they did and was so compelled to advance the story that I didn't concern myself with collectables. At a quarter of the way into the game, given the effort to clear some rooms and areas to get collectables, I got more serious about them so I wouldn't have to repeat these efforts later. At two thirds of the way through the game, and particularly because of a negative collectables experience in Chapter 10, I've regressed to giving minimal thought and effort toward collectables. Some require just too much effort and time and it has impacted the flow of the game for me too much to continue.

Ultimately, sticking to the story and combat, this game keeps me playing for hours. It's a new take on a topic that makes the player's mission feel imperative and rewarding. While I suggested earlier in the review that I wanted to avoid repeating efforts throughout the campaign, I'll most definitely be starting a second playthrough.
  35. May 23, 2014
    [TL:DR] Buy it. I highly recommend this game. Single-player Campaign only. Golden Eye like game design. Epic writing and cinematics. Knife-AWP OP. Stealth rewarded.

After 30 hours of playtime and 100% of achievements completed on 'Uber' difficulty, I feel I am ready to rate Wolfenstein: The New Order. Between the well-crafted levels and deep character driven story-telling, this game is easily one of the best modern shooters. The Nazi regalia art deco style thrived off creative and believable level design. That is to say, the graphics are stunning and tuned to the story as much as old great titles a Half-life or Golden Eye were. There is such fine detail that the weapon models are different for the era and location.

The characters brought the game to life with beautiful true to the moment animations. The animations were cinematic throughout the game. The tempo and pacing of the voice acting over the animations were fluid and felt real. The outlandish game had a believable band of characters that truly came to life beyond previous standards.

The mechanics offers fairly tight shooting while the gameplay offers various styles of play; Stealth, Run-and-Gun, Explosives. You could go cover hopping while dual wielding rocket launchers or silently takedown enemies with special knife attacks or equipping a silenced pistol to avoid alarms. However, you can mortally wound a foe by throw a knife into his foot.

The AI was ok. The soldier enemies used cover well and the heavily armored foes close the gap and cause a lot of trouble for your health bar. I did encounter enemies that tried to throw grenades through pillars killing themselves and anyone nearby.

Often considered related to AI is the difficulty options. There are five to choose from harkening back to the original Wolfenstein in theme. I only played the 'Uber' difficulty so, I don't know how much the experience differs. The maximum difficulty felt like less of a challenge and more of it took a lot of bullets to kill everything other than yourself making shotguns the bane of your existence.

All in all, I know I raved about the story-telling being amazing, and I mean it. On my first play through I felt like I was watching a two-hour film you would gladly pay $20 to see. Instead, I got a 15 hour experience for $60 dollars, that I could watch again with different mechanics, levels, and characters.

I highly recommend this game. Fair warning, this game is rated 17 plus. Contains a lot of violence and gore. Also, has some, believe it or not, tasteful sex scenes.
  36. May 28, 2014
    Wolfenstein TNO has to be one of this year's great surprises, it is a very fun game with superb graphics. The storyline is also as a great surprise as it's all pretty entertaining and certainly above average for video games.
  37. May 30, 2014
    Nice quick action fps shooter good performance 60 fps locked no drops. Good story. Would be a 10 if it had a multiplayer mode and any replay value at all.
  38. May 30, 2014
    "Solid" is the best word to describe this game. It's neither groundbreaking nor a 10/10 title, and has a few off-putting segments (the forced stealth sections come to mind), but overall it manages to be a fun title with a cool aesthetic and a great soundtrack.

Now if only Bethesda could get Splash Damage on-board for an Enemy Territory remake...
  39. May 31, 2014
    This is the first ever Wolfenstein game I have ever played, yet not the first Id game. I'm a fan of the Doom franchise, and similar to Doom 3, this Wolfenstein game found ways to be both new and bring back to life nostalgia from older Id titles. At first my Steam copy of this game was unplayable due to lagging issues regardless of the graphic settings, but after installing a newer versionThis is the first ever Wolfenstein game I have ever played, yet not the first Id game. I'm a fan of the Doom franchise, and similar to Doom 3, this Wolfenstein game found ways to be both new and bring back to life nostalgia from older Id titles. At first my Steam copy of this game was unplayable due to lagging issues regardless of the graphic settings, but after installing a newer version of Catalyst graphic drivers, this was fine. I love the action and story to this cinematic game. Expand
  40. Jun 1, 2014
    Wolfenstein is a fun over the top campy shooter that tickles my patriotism bone. AI is a little soft in the head but overall the game is enjoyable. fun/10
  41. Jun 4, 2014
    This game is great. It's a breath of fresh air, which is ironic considering it's basically a classic FPS with a modern story and modern graphics. However, I think it's nice to play a game that's true to its roots. It's a refreshing break from all these new games that try really hard to be original.

If you like classic FPS games, and games with a good (although somewhat unrealistic) story, this game is the game for you. It's fun, satisfying, and it seems pretty long, from what I've played. I highly recommend it.

My one complaint is that sometimes it can be a bit too hard in a bad way. More than once I've been shot and killed out of nowhere when I was behind unbreakable cover. Also, I feel it's not generous enough with the checkpoints sometimes. The stealth can be annoying too, as I've found myself sneaking around for 10 minutes only to be spotted by some random guy that came out of nowhere and probably shouldn't have even seen me. I think it should've given you the option to save at anytime, just like most classic FPS games do. However, I was playing on the second hardest difficulty, so it's probably different on lower difficulties.

Overall, this game is excellent. If you like shooters, do yourself a favor and pick this one up right now!

If only Duke Nukem Forever was made by the people who made this...
  42. Feb 4, 2015
    One of the most underrated titles of 2014! "Wolfenstein: The New Order" sets a brand new standard to shoot em up games. With intriguing plot, stunning graphics, and a perfect representation of what current gen "remakes" should be.
  43. Dec 30, 2014
    One word comes to mind: Solid. The gameplay is solid, the environments and their diversity are also solid, even the story is fine. The shooting is executed very well and it's all about precise mouse movements, high frame rates and fast reflexes - in my book that's all it needs to be. Good old responsive and lively action. The weapons are implemented well and there are just enough of them.One word comes to mind: Solid. The gameplay is solid, the environments and their diversity are also solid, even the story is fine. The shooting is executed very well and it's all about precise mouse movements, high frame rates and fast reflexes - in my book that's all it needs to be. Good old responsive and lively action. The weapons are implemented well and there are just enough of them. Graphics are high value and look convincing and interesting. The 'Perks' system is fun while not getting in the way. It has fair addictiveness factor as oppose to the latest CODs' single player, which in my opinion are worse than not playing any game at all. Some atmosphere is also there, though it is noticeably less than the Metro series (for ex.).

And while I don't try to compare this game to older Wolfenstein games and didn't really have high expectations at the frist place, I am pleased to say I thouroughly enjoyed it and I whould be happy to play future games in the series based on the experience with this one.

-1 point because of pure technical reasons - the 60 frames cap. (yes I know - the human eye...blah blah). I did enjoy some 120+ fps gameplay just before this one, and this limitation was a bit like a cold shower (only after getting used to the smoother performance, otherwise it is fine enough. Still, the point is: such technical policies should not be tolerated, especially for the FPS genre).

PS: It totals to about 8-9 hours of gameplay
  44. Dec 11, 2014
    +Сюжет
    +Колоритные персонажи
    +Атмосфера +Музыка +Дизайн +Музыкальное сопровождение -Оружие плохо ощущается -Глупые противники -Примитивный стелс -Каноничная непрошибаемость героя -Скромный арсенал -Слабая роль системы перков -Блёклая графика
    +Сюжет
    -Скромный арсенал
    -Слабая роль системы перков
    -Блёклая графика
  45. Jan 31, 2015
    Altogether the game is dynamic with actions which alternate well infiltration or shooting. A rather reactive IA (mode uber) which can surprise the player. Then the graphics is very correct and the well detailed maps if one stopped for all to visit:)
  46. Mar 9, 2015
    Wolfenstein the new order is set three years after the events of wolfenstein (2009) and first stars with you once again playing the role of Captain William "B.J." Blazkowicz (Brian Bloom) along with pilot Fergus Reid (Gideon Emery) and Private Probst Wyatt III (A.J. Trauth) and all three of you are heading to General Wilhelm "Deathshead" Strasse (Dwight Schultz) compound. You end upWolfenstein the new order is set three years after the events of wolfenstein (2009) and first stars with you once again playing the role of Captain William "B.J." Blazkowicz (Brian Bloom) along with pilot Fergus Reid (Gideon Emery) and Private Probst Wyatt III (A.J. Trauth) and all three of you are heading to General Wilhelm "Deathshead" Strasse (Dwight Schultz) compound. You end up crashing you plane out side of deaths heads compound and after an extreme Nazi kill streak you end up falling along with the rest of you squad into Deathshead's human experimentation laboratory. after escaping into another room and fighting a Supersoldaten 1946 version you get trapped in the room by deaths head and knocked out after the room almost crushes you. when BJ awakes he in the lab where is Deathshead forces Blazkowicz to choose who he will gruesomely kill Fergus or Wyatt before leaving Blazkowicz and the survivor to die in the laboratory's emergency incinerator. after this you escape the laboratory but Blazkowicz suffers a critical head injury rendering him unconscious. Expand
  47. May 27, 2014
    So far so good, it has a solid gameplay, good graphics and a decent singler player campaign.
    I dont usually love fps games but this one stands out. Really worth the money
  48. May 25, 2014
    Wolfenstein: The New Order is the best sequel in the Wolfenstein series at all. Bethesda’s team did really an excellent job in AI, storyboard and the atmospheric sound and locations are just breathtaking. In a nutshell: The game is and just looks great!
  49. Jun 8, 2014
    B.J. Blazkowicz is back as gun-toting protagonist in this alternate history shooter. His impressive jaw line makes it hard to look at anything else during the excessive third person cut scenes. Years pass in seconds, as you experience the life of a vegetable, before you spring back to life to battle Nazis while you whisper sweet nothings to yourself.

New Order has dreadfully average

New Order has dreadfully average combat. The pistol, assault rifle and shotgun feel too similar and look the same. You can duel wield all the grey-brown weapons to reload twice as often and walk around like your legs are tied together. The bullet weapons are soulless, but they do the job against standard enemies. When you get your hands on the chain guns, those unlimited ammo bullet-hoses the super soldiers carry, you’ll discover they don’t have unlimited ammo and BJ refuses to drop them once empty. So the laser gun is the main weapon you'll be using against the armoured units because it is order of magnitudes better than anything else you have on hand. It's also used to cut through metal boxes and grates, but not wooden boxes because the Nazis make wooden boxes to much higher standards. In the last third of the game you’ll spend more time looking at the lasergun charge stations than enemies.

So after every battle you have to scurry around and manually pick up ammo and armor. This is absolutely perfect for game designers because they can extend game length by forcing people to hunt for the stuff you should just be able to walk over. It might not be so bad if everything - ammo, health, weapons – weren’t the same shade of gunmetal grey-brown that blends into the environments. This manual collection of items does not suit the style of play New Order occasionally attempts.

New Order is not all about mediocre action though; it has horrible, arbitrary stealth areas too. Stealth suffers mostly because the IQ of the AI is about 100 points below normal. When they get close to you, their heads turn to look directly at you, yet they do nothing. When the AI decides you stood in the middle of the corridor too long, get ready for them to walk towards you with their batons raised. Even auto-turrets firing at you do not attract the attention of nearby patrolling guards. Stealth is mostly optional, but you are essentially deciding between the poor covert approach or weak guns blazing.

New Order includes its fair share of pacing issues, most of them ludicrous for a game that is often trying to replicate ‘old-school’ shooters. When you return to your base between missions, you play errand boy for different characters. New Order isn’t trying to make a joke of games that do fetch quests – it just does them to pad out the already thin shooting. There are other sections with sparse action too, such as the moon base which has so few enemies that it felt like the game forgot to spawn them. You can sleepwalk through the many linear, hand-holding areas before the game takes half your weapons away for the next combat mission.

Not all is horrible in New Order, but there so few notable positives to talk about. The Wolfenstein 3D Easter egg (top floor of base) is a nice homage even if they couldn’t get the shooting animations correct. Other references to the old games got me a little nostalgic too, like the roast dinner that restores your health. The ghastly RAGE engine is not so bad in New Order, even if it has low-res textures and minimal interactive elements. At least there is decent level variety, small bits of destruction and retro design. New Order is a huge letdown with its mediocre combat, dumb AI, poor pacing and questionable design decisions. 5/10
  50. May 23, 2014
    Hmm. It's late, and I'm going to rant a bit. Seams to me that devs who brought us groundbreaking Riddick game have run out of steam. This game is a mixed bag. Gunplay is decent and lies somewhere between of half life and rage. Setting is also cool. The overall game is similar in it's structure to hl. Story is really bad, although voice acting is very good. I started to skipping cutscenesHmm. It's late, and I'm going to rant a bit. Seams to me that devs who brought us groundbreaking Riddick game have run out of steam. This game is a mixed bag. Gunplay is decent and lies somewhere between of half life and rage. Setting is also cool. The overall game is similar in it's structure to hl. Story is really bad, although voice acting is very good. I started to skipping cutscenes after a while cause the plot just doesn't deliver and drags on. Game like this don't need story. All that budget could go towards making the gameplay better. Campaign super boring and disjointed, although there are some exciting setpieces in it. But I would trade those for great level design. levels feel very small ( the amount of rooms you visit, not small as not free roaming like crysis), and I really don't like the linear approach. Seriously, walking from arena to arena is super boring. It was cool when they did that in Painkiller, and painkiller build its gameplay around that with hundreds of enemies, but now it's just redundant. Levels need some variety in its structure. I still don't understand why games have left maze levels behind. Those were like little worlds. No amount of shooting will replace that. And interiors need to be spacier so it is easier to know where is what, because they are so full of detail that it is hard to see anything. Ai is pretty crap. Not sure why they didn't use rage ai. That one was solid. Most of the time I'd be just camping in one spot, taking down enemies one by one. And if you try to run and gun, enemies will take you down pretty quickly. Slide movement is cool, although it is awkward to execute on the kb. But no shooting and reloading while running is really getting on my nerves these days. Also the loot - way too much of it. But that's because enemies accuracy is almost 100%, so you will always get shoot, and soo there's need to be a lot of pick ups. Again, missing that old school "visible projectiles" you could avoid. It felt like you actually gaining skill, and there was no need for so many pick ups. I can't imagine who's idea it was that you need to press a key for each item. Absolutely tedious in every game. Why not just automatically pick up everything you touch? That would make sense. There is a perk system also, but I'm completely uninterested in it at this point. Music is pretty much none existent. The most fun I had in this game was first level after the intro sequence, and the Easter egg: the original wolfenstein level.
    I'm very sorry to say that because Riddick is one of the best games ever made, and I highly respect the devs, but I would give this game a miss, maybe until sale.
  51. May 27, 2014
    This game was okay at first then the more I played, the more it seemed to get a little better. The gunplay in the game is kind of hilarious in the sense that you feel so overpowered but that's a good thing especially since on any difficulty past normal the robots will tear you a new one. As well as the gunplay being fun the story seemed to keep me wanting to play even though it was not theThis game was okay at first then the more I played, the more it seemed to get a little better. The gunplay in the game is kind of hilarious in the sense that you feel so overpowered but that's a good thing especially since on any difficulty past normal the robots will tear you a new one. As well as the gunplay being fun the story seemed to keep me wanting to play even though it was not the best i still enjoyed it very much. Graphics wise the game looks a little outdated as if the textures just seemed a bit mushy or something but the effects were excellent and the game is fun to play so I guess that's all that counts. Expand
  52. Jun 3, 2014
    Pros:
    1. Old-school shooter
    2. Graphics are OK 3. 16 levels Campaign is OK 4. Two ways to finish the game. 5. No autoheal Cons: 1. No Co-op or Multiplayer 2. Unnecessary loading times 3. When you start a level you lose all your weapons = very lame. 4. I completed the game on hard difficulty (I am death incarnate) and the game cheats. I like challenge but not cheating. 5. The
    Pros:
    1. Old-school shooter
    2. Graphics are OK
    3. 16 levels Campaign is OK
    4. Two ways to finish the game.
    5. No autoheal
    Cons:
    1. No Co-op or Multiplayer
    2. Unnecessary loading times
    3. When you start a level you lose all your weapons = very lame.
    5. The story is constantly switching between serious matter and comedy.

I expected another crap shooter like Alien Rage,but this is actually pretty good game. I can imagine with co-op and multiplayer this would be a blast. The ending is open so we can expect DLC or expansions hopefully with multiplayer included. I hope the new DOOM will be better.
  53. Jun 3, 2014
    Amazing game driven by a truly captivating plot. The characters are very dynamic and show how people would react in those situations. Clearly lots of effort put in by the devs, as there are tons of areas and items that are hidden throughout the game. Very solid and fun shooting mechanics as well as upgrade system. The graphics were definitely awe-inspiring at points and went well with BJ'sAmazing game driven by a truly captivating plot. The characters are very dynamic and show how people would react in those situations. Clearly lots of effort put in by the devs, as there are tons of areas and items that are hidden throughout the game. Very solid and fun shooting mechanics as well as upgrade system. The graphics were definitely awe-inspiring at points and went well with BJ's inner monologue. All in all, Wolfenstein is an well-made, extremely captivating, immersive game. Expand
  54. May 30, 2014
    Fun, Fast, Violant and Gritty. and a decent homage to the old FPS games, ive really enjoyed the 12+ hours campaign, game reminds me of the quake and riddick games. a very nice surprice game in the middle of all the over hyped crap games, nice work Bethesda and ID
  55. Jun 28, 2014
    Excellent game. Breath of fresh air. Good story, great graphics, great imagination, A+ shooter.

One thing that stands out to me are the "commonplace" elements of the story. You have cutscenes on a train, on in a village, that stand out as carrying meaning that they otherwise wouldn't have. What I mean is, because shooters are so in-your-face, the cutscenes that are more mundane are actually some of the most interesting points. There is, I think, something to be learned from this videogame, if you pay close attention to those cutscenes.
  56. Jun 28, 2014
    I'm a big fan of older id games. Heck, I even enjoyed Doom 3 and Quake 4. But I'm not a fan of Wolfenstein TNO. All its annoyances aggregate into a less than stellar experience.

What's the good? Gunplay is solid. Players can dual wield nearly every weapon. This is handy at higher difficulties since even the weakest enemies take a dozen rounds to drop. Also, guns have alternate fire modes. Although players will have access to all weapons early on, most of the alt modes are not unlocked until later in the game. This breaks up the monotony and balances the game a bit.

The campaign lasts about 15 hours. For a $60 title with no multiplayer, that's the minimum I'd expect. The environments are varied and allow for slight amounts of exploration. So levels feel bigger than what they are. Players can employ different tactics to dispatch enemies. Stealth can be more effective than run and gun at times. And sometimes camping behind a box and popping baddies one by one is most effective. No style dominates the game. At the hardest difficulties, run and gun is least effective. However, after a single playthrough I noticed stealth is broken. Patrols will walk over dead bodies and not sound the alarm. They will only sound the alarm if they see the player or see him kill someone. So there is no need to drop baddies out of sight. Not very challenging.

What's the bad? The game is buggy. During cutscenes, audio and mouth movements don't sync (think Skyrim) breaking the emersion. Turning off Vsync sometimes helps, but then there is horrible screen tearing to deal with. Also, the game randomly freezes briefly at set intervals during the first few missions. The freezing magically stopped after progressing further. Using a controller presents other problems due to inconsistent button behavior. I select alt fire mode, and the map opens. I open the radial and select a weapon, my character briefly freezes while taking damage before the next weapon is available. Under normal circumstances that's annoying. While playing the hardest difficulty it's downright rage inducing.

The graphics are OK but not a great showcase for the id tech 5 engine. Wolfenstein is plagued with inconsistent textures, pop ins, and jagged edges. Lighting effects drastically change by moving an inch. And there are limited advanced graphic options. There is no AA control. The frame rate is locked at 60fps. Currently, SLI and Crossfire performance stinks. Forcing features thru CCC did not help. Another negative: Wolfenstein is a 50gb install. Plus, a huge patch has to be downloaded. Since the graphics and sound are merely OK, the size is just excessive. Here's a bit of irony: TNO looks like it was made using the Unreal Engine with its almost cartoony/almost cel shaded environments and weapons. Artistically, it looks like any recent Unreal-based games. Was this intentional?

I hate TNO's erratic pacing. Between missions, the player hangs out at a base. And the "errands" between missions slow the game to a crawl. Forget about annihilating Nazis around the clock, because the resistance wants you to stop and find mold samples. Kill a few more Nazis and you're stopped again to find a blowtorch. The base and accompanying side missions mimic Dishonored. But this is Wolfenstein....
    Lastly, I don't like the story. TNO tries too hard. It felt forced. It felt déjà vu. And the ending was just plain lazy. The aforementioned base exists solely to advance the story, but kills the action as a result. Heck, audio logs appear just for progressing through the game. No need to find em. And TNO holds players' hands thru everything. Someone is always on the radio detailing each step. And when "map updated" appears on screen, "secret" items are revealed on the map with a question mark. Too easy. Too pandering.

Sigh. Overall, TNO feels like a tacky homage. I'm annoyed that one of the final battles was ripped directly from Quake 4. Plus, TNO lacks the brutal combat and creativity of the games that made id synonymous with the fps genre. The new developers tried unsuccessfully to create an emotional backdrop instead of focusing on Wolfenstein's most important trait: Gunplay carnage. I'm all for a good story, but TNO's story was so violent, so gory, and just so over the top that I stopped buying into it. How much damage can the main character withstand? There's a difference between badassdom and just plain ridiculous. By the game's end, I didn't have that, "Oh yeah, come get you some" feeling like I did in Max Payne 3. Instead, I was glad it was over.

Wolfenstein TNO is an OK fps. Unfortunately, TNO assimilates elements from other popular games without creating its own identity. This is not the nonstop ride gamers expect. Even worse, it's a console port that needed months of polish before its PC launch. TNO still has performance issues weeks after launch. Asking $60 for buggy title with no multiplayer is a tall order. Wait for this game to go on sale.
  57. May 22, 2014
    Gameplay and mechanics:

The New Order has solid and fun gameplay and some really cool mechanics. Graphics: Graphics are a mixed bag. It runs on ID Tech 5 engine which uses MegaTexture technology and it is not surprising that the textures are low res tho I did expected them to be slightly better. But if you leave low res textures aside there were moments where graphics looked very
    Gameplay and mechanics:

The New Order has solid and fun gameplay and some really cool mechanics.

Graphics:

But if you leave low res textures aside there were moments where graphics looked very realistic and absolutely beautiful but there were also moments where graphics looked very cheap and hideous.
    Game has some obvious performance problems on my PC which has Intel i5 3570k and AMD 6950. But they seem to be related to bad optimization and bad drivers rather than my PC being too weak.

Story:

I was really happy from the beginning to around the middle point as the story was interesting and kept evolving in an interesting way. But around the middle of the story it just got out of hands and it became over-exaggerated BS with some ancient jewish super technology and nazi base on the moon that has super futuristic design and everyone have lazer guns. Near the end it got better again but the middle part really ruined the story for me.
    Also game ended very promptly and left a lot of questions in the air. Including the Blackowiczes faith. This makes me believe that there is some big DLC or even a sequel coming.
  58. Jun 26, 2014
    There are some limitations to consider before you think too deeply about WTNO. WTNO is very very linear. Do not expect much cerebral effort here. It is very predictable in terms of gameplay. However, someone loved this game. There has been effort put in here which manifests in various ways that mean that this stands above any other offering using ID's troubled tech 5 engine. It has aThere are some limitations to consider before you think too deeply about WTNO. WTNO is very very linear. Do not expect much cerebral effort here. It is very predictable in terms of gameplay. However, someone loved this game. There has been effort put in here which manifests in various ways that mean that this stands above any other offering using ID's troubled tech 5 engine. It has a polish missing from many recently titles and although the Tech 5 engine is still very poor on the PC. It seems its use has been perfected to the point it can deliver an acceptable performance on the best hardware.

For the most part the game looks excellent at the ultra setting. Unfortunately it is almost unplayable at the highest texture resolutions for most people without 6 GB VRAM video card (i.e Titan). With Titan or equivalent 6gb VRAM Graphics card it runs fine though slower than one might have thought. Personally, I found the characters and the story more adult and less patronising than most offerings of recent years and the gameplay offered enough variety to keep me playing to the end.

Too linear and too reliant on cut scenes for atmosphere to be a great game yet it was a far better effort than any other mass hyped release recently. Would buy instead of Dark Souls II and Watchdogs and it would be the better choice. Would not turn down a classic for this but it has been a bit of a dry quarter for gaming recently. Not perfect but a quality product within the limitations of the engine. Overall, a step in the right direction.
  59. May 24, 2014
    What a pleasant surprise!

What a pleasant surprise!

This game is retro breeze from the past but in a positive meaning. Take this game as an equivalent to Expendables movies. If Expendables showed up 15 years ago, everyone would be annoyed and bored in a way like "jeez, not these crusty clowns again, please!". But nowadays, when everything must be shot with shaken camera, every plot has to have at least 3 twists and main antagonist is pictured as internally disrupted guy who deserves our sympathies, it has just hit the audience with the force of 10 has-been bad-asses. And so did the Wolfenstein.

This game is pure linear corridor one with a couple of tiny options to finish the task - there are always 2 or 3 ways at the maximum how to reach the checkpoint, and so it is with the play-style: you can be Sam Fisher, the Terminator, or both. Nothing more, nothing less. But it is great and entertaining.

The plot is surprisingly very dark and serious. I don't know why I expected the plot will be ironic, over-the-top humorous story about stupid and impotent Nazis against Duke Nukem style bad-ass. I assume it could be because of Iron Sky movie from which Wolfenstein borrowed some ideas for sure. Speaking of which, this game is full of pop-cultural references to movies like Robocop, Inglorious Basterds etc. for example, but anyway, the plot is neat, the atmosphere is brilliant and the ending is satisfying. And did I mention that B.J. is a fricking bad-ass?

Now the negatives.
    Unfortunately, this game is not polished. It suffers from time-to-time crashes, micro-stuttering is almost everywhere (especially in interiors) and AI is poor and sometimes suffers from bad path-finding. There is also weird checkpoint system - sometimes, when you die, you are spawned behind the spot you died so you do not have to face those enemies who killed you before.
    Crashes and micro-stuttering will be fixed in time for sure with patches and new gpu drivers, but I am quite sure AI and checkpoint system will stay as it is now, which is sad.

But hell, this game kicks ass anyway! I am looking forward for the sequel.
    Well done, Machine Games!

8.5/10
    (1 point down for technical issues, 0.5 point down for lack of Nazi Dinosaurs)
  60. Jun 28, 2014
    So **** nice ... this shooter is dope ... the atmosphere it creates through the setting and it s great diversity and storytelling ... just awesome ... I never felt like this before ... the graphics are very nice and the gameplay is diverse and tactical ... just love everything about it
  61. May 23, 2014
    A great FPS. The 'feel' is spot-on if you take the couple of minutes to get your key bindings and mouse sensitivity just the way you like it. Bethesda has been involved so you can take the majority of things that make a good game and tick those boxes as a given. This game does exactly what it says on the tin. Run and Gun at its best.
  62. Jun 29, 2014
    This is the best FPS I've played in years. It's easily one of the most interesting stories, not just because of the Nazi's, but because of the actual characters. They feel like real people, even the Nazi's talk about their familes and how they would like promotions. It's hands down one of the best games I've played in a while.
  63. Jul 3, 2014
    UBER GOOD. Well, yeah, textures fail from time to time. But who cares? Best game of the year, and let me tell you that I a harsh critique of FPS games. Good writing, interesting scenario, astonishing music ... W:NWO just replenished my hope in industrial games.

SIX DLCs and A SEQUEL!
  64. Jun 29, 2014
    This is an incredible, outstanding and awesome game. I can only hope that there is a sequel to Wolfenstein and that others take note on what a first shoot game should be. Well Done! I will be willing to pay good money for the next chapter of Wolfenstein.
  65. May 22, 2014
    Holy crap. I've been waiting for a game like this for years. No more will I put up with the "ultra realism" modern crap of Call of Duty and Battlefield after playing this. So the first gameplay I saw of this game didn't impress me. It was linear, scripted and it held you by the hand. And although their are some of these elements present in the game's lengthy campaign, their short and don'tHoly crap. I've been waiting for a game like this for years. No more will I put up with the "ultra realism" modern crap of Call of Duty and Battlefield after playing this. So the first gameplay I saw of this game didn't impress me. It was linear, scripted and it held you by the hand. And although their are some of these elements present in the game's lengthy campaign, their short and don't take away from the core gameplay - which evolves actual shooting. Go play Ghost's campaign (don't by ghosts this is just an example), you'll probably be waiting 10 to 15 minutes before you shoot something. Here you're right into the action dual wielding machine guns fighting Hitler bots! Bottom line; ITS FUN! Expand
  66. May 27, 2014
    Just amazing!
    It has everything that a good game should have starting with NOT taking itself to seriously. There are some absolutely crazy elements and weird machines, insane gun play (dual shotgun? sure!), and an absurd story line. Sure, it might not be an ambitious game and it may have almost no depth in it, but at the same time it is simply FUN to play - not a common thing these days!
  67. May 27, 2014
    What an amazing game it is! I didn't expect this from this game.. I just wanted to give it a try. Then I got addicted to it. :D Story is also very beautiful. And the gameplay is just too good. It took 12hours for me to finish the game...
  68. May 27, 2014
    Very good game all around, old school fps with excellent voice acting, level design, characters, story, really surprised by how good this game actually is.
  69. Jun 14, 2014
    As far a single player FPS goes Wolfenstein: The new order is probably the best game I have played in the past two years. The gun play is tight and engaging, the difficulty is fair (and very challanging on higher difficulty levels, requiring stealth and patience to prevail). The stealth system is very engaging and enemy placement is perfect for a stealth game play.

The best part of the

The best part of the game is the scenery and the story. The game play never gets boring, from fighting nazis on the streets to using a flak cannon, stationary guns, underwater battles, and every a very cool segment that I would prefer not to mention because it's a spoiler.

If you are thinking of getting this game just go out and get it !
  70. May 30, 2014
    There is only one word that this game can be truly described in for its greatness and that word is awesome.

Nothing bad or down ratted that i see in it and i just beat the game so nothing bad about it at all. I would vote 11/10 if i could.
  71. May 26, 2014
    Machine Games and Bethesda succeded in bringing the Wolfenstein series back to the mainstream in a big way. The game is beautiful, with an engaging story and combat that feels familiar, yet has a refreshing change of pace from other AAA shooters. I was disappointed that there was no multiplayer a la 2003’s Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (a game I still play to this day) and hope that ifMachine Games and Bethesda succeded in bringing the Wolfenstein series back to the mainstream in a big way. The game is beautiful, with an engaging story and combat that feels familiar, yet has a refreshing change of pace from other AAA shooters. I was disappointed that there was no multiplayer a la 2003’s Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (a game I still play to this day) and hope that if there are other games in the series, they implement a multiplayer game mode to the game. Expand
  72. Jun 28, 2014
    Amazing game. Truly. Fantastic storyline, graphics and audio. Soundtrack is awesome. The models and the guns are great. The guns are really great and well balanced throughout the game. I have nothing bad to say about this game at all. I have no idea how anyone (such as below) could write a poor review of this game - it must be that their PC is not powerful enough to play it on goodAmazing game. Truly. Fantastic storyline, graphics and audio. Soundtrack is awesome. The models and the guns are great. The guns are really great and well balanced throughout the game. I have nothing bad to say about this game at all. I have no idea how anyone (such as below) could write a poor review of this game - it must be that their PC is not powerful enough to play it on good settings. I guess I am lucky to have a PC good enough to play it on max settings. I don't normally write reviews btw.. but I just had to for this! BUY IT AND ENJOY IT! Expand
  73. Jun 30, 2014
    Wolfenstein: The New Order is a game I went into with moderate expectations and came out with a renewed hope for the future of gaming. Being a fan of dystopias, I was looking forward to seeing how the plot would be handled, and if it would be done well. Coming from roots that never grew too "deep", I didn't expect a whole lot of depth of story from the Wolfenstein franchise, and I wasWolfenstein: The New Order is a game I went into with moderate expectations and came out with a renewed hope for the future of gaming. Being a fan of dystopias, I was looking forward to seeing how the plot would be handled, and if it would be done well. Coming from roots that never grew too "deep", I didn't expect a whole lot of depth of story from the Wolfenstein franchise, and I was pleasantly proven wrong. The narrative of New Order was exceptionally well done. If you're here, like I was, for a good interactive story (and this is a single player game built to tell a story in a linear fashion...so why else would you be here?), then you'll be drawn in right away. While New Order, like its predecessor, doesn't take itself too seriously from a technological "what if?" standpoint, it certainly does treat the themes it raises very seriously. The issues raised are both chilling and alarming, and like its many dystopian inspirations, has something to teach – even if it has been taught many times before. This is not a knock on the story, mind you. All dystopias share certain themes and words of caution, and this one is no different. The point here is that Wolfenstein draws you in, slams you on the ground, and says, "Here's a terrifying thought. What if the Nazis won WWII? Let's get crazy and explore this!" ...and they do! They do in both horrible and absurd ways, but always in a manner that keeps your eyes glued to the screen in utter horror as you ask, "What is going to happen next?!"

Once we get past the exciting plot, and terrifying narrative, we begin to dig down into the finer minutiae of the game. The graphics are enjoyable, and these days, stunning graphics are everywhere and nothing special. While I'd agree the graphics in Wolfenstein are nothing groundbreaking, they do nothing to detract from the storyline, and there are several parts (particularly the hideout of the rebels) that makes you just want to explore every visual detail of the space. You can tell the creators placed a lot of love and care into that area...and while others do not feel as lovingly crafted as that – I never once felt as though I was being pulled out of the world and left lacking for visual enjoyment.

Gameplay was, overall, extremely well done, with a couple of issues, which is where my 8/10 score comes from. First off, the whole run and slide mechanic was poorly implemented. It was so unwieldy to use I found myself never using it except in places where I was forced to...and learning how to do so resulted in multiple untimely deaths and repetitive and long-lasting load screens. This was a huge frustration very early on in the game and one which didn't need to be there. Secondly is the pickup system in the game. While I understand there's a certain bit of realism in having to put effort in to picking up every item individually by clicking on it (much like you'd place effort into leaning down and grabbing the item with your hands in real life) ...this is NOT real life, and the mechanic of doing this is a bit frustrating. I'd much rather have a hybrid "grab everything within a radius of me" type of mechanic instead ...if an auto-grab feature was simply out of the question.

Overall, I cannot give this game any less than an 8. It really did the franchise justice, and while I agree that gameplay wise it has done nothing new, and certainly won't show us anything amazing from a technical standpoint, it will tell a very fun and engaging story...and leave you terrified and chilled to the bone at what could have become of this world (in a semi-realistic, semi-over-the-top way). Pick it up. It's worth your time.
  74. Jul 3, 2014
    Not many single player FPS's have got my attention since Half-Life Two was released. Picked this up during the Steam summer sale. Was expecting something similar to Bioshock (amazing setting, mediocre game play and graphics) Boy was I surprised. This game is awesome! Looks amazing, is fun to play, and the story is pretty engaging. This one of the best FPS's I have played in a very long time.
  75. Jun 22, 2014
    Really enjoyed this game, have just finished it. The storyline is entertaining and novel. The game is well thought out and paced. It was just enjoyable. No technical issues, just played and had a blast. Recommended!
  76. Mar 28, 2015
    I pre-ordered this game. Is is worth 60 euros? Is 40gb of files worth of download? Answer is: maybe, but mostly no. And if you bought retail dvd version, You have to still download 10gb update. As much I wanted to enjoy this game, I couldn't. The Wolfenstein games I know used to be fun run'n'gun fps shooters. This game is far from good FPS in general and its even useless to compare it toI pre-ordered this game. Is is worth 60 euros? Is 40gb of files worth of download? Answer is: maybe, but mostly no. And if you bought retail dvd version, You have to still download 10gb update. As much I wanted to enjoy this game, I couldn't. The Wolfenstein games I know used to be fun run'n'gun fps shooters. This game is far from good FPS in general and its even useless to compare it to RTCW. Many people hated Wolfenstein (2009), but I actually liked that one. Now you cant upgrade anything with big pile of gold anymore and open hub areas are gone.

Story is bland and game has serious problem whether to be serious or not. Sometimes Blaskowicz speaks bravely about America but in next moment paintings drop from wall because he's screwing his girl so hard.

Sidekicks are lame and feel forced. Black guy having rhythm in his veins and big physically strong but mentally disabled guy who like girl toys etc. Are this type of characters _the must_ thing in a Nazi shooter FPS? Where is the martial arts master Chinese ninja guy and others?

Gameplay is somewhat good. Assault rifle actually feel like it has some pumping power. You can lean, lie down and slide on floor, but its pain in the ass to perform those key combos in tight battles. I didn't find much use for them.
    Reloading and switching between weapons takes ages and you die needlessly often due to that. Oh, You can reload faster when you unlock Perks, but only after you performed 10 backflips in a row while shooting ten dogs with one hand gun and finally landing on spagat. Perks are unlockable abilities. You unlock them by killing enemies in different ways. Often the way to unlock them is too hard, because invariably all fights are so chaotic that it's impossible to think of anything else than finding ammo, health packs and cover. I find myself eventually just ignoring those perks.
    Save/load feature is also gone. Checkpoint are mostly quite rare and you end up having same fights again, and they got just longer and longer as you go in game. What might dev's been thinking of when decided that...

Levels are quite tube-like, but sometimes you get barely a slight breeze of open areas, just barely. There are secrets things hided in places, but I couldn't find many of them in first playthrough. Oh and I got new checkpoint and I'm unable to go back finding them. Should I restart level or just go on? I rather go on. This game does no make me feel to explore places to find collectible or even play it ever again. It feels so clunky in many way. Malfunctioned (buggy) robot stuck in place, ladder become usable after killing hordes of enemies etc stupid things and AI just plays stupid. And Blaskowicz is tied on chair and Nazi commander stabs him with knife; Blaskowicz's health goes visibly down to 0, but raises to 20 in a brief moment. Quite cool.

Im trying to be tolerated, but it is really annoying when level are straightforward and there seems to be a lot o places where to go or hide, but you can't. I'm talking about bridge mission. It really did broke camel's back for me. "Stupid way to die" says he when I'm trying to jump on ledge where anyone else vg protagonist could jump in (in real life), but our William now just can't because of invisible mesh colliders. If you've played original Painkiller or Quake, you know what I mean by jumping all over places where's the skys only limit ((or water, heh).

Conclusion: It's not worst FPS by any mean and is worth picking for like 5-10 euros, but there are so many annoying dev's decisions which I mentioned, that I'm wordless.
  77. Jun 13, 2014
    the sound in this game is flat and not immersive. im really suprised. the rifles and guns dont boom like a gun should when you fire it and inside a room it should sound like a cannon. nope, tepid and tinny. not that raw explosive power that would normally be pretty gripping. remember playing the original half life and what the smg sounded like when you fired it the first time?

i played

i played one of the original wolfensteins on the amiga back in the 80's. that was so much more immersive somehow and it was only 2 colors. there was a real sense of tension and timing in breaking out and when the nazi's called for your papers the hairs on the back of your neck stood up.

wolfenstein for the 386 was just ok. it was doom that really brought run and gun to the PC. but wolfenstein for the 386 was fun.

this version is pretty. at least you can say that. if not a wee bit uninspired. i prey a sound mod comes out. its nothing new at all gameplay wise. kind of bland but good models. movevment is a little stiff. seems a bit watered down for a title of this day and age as far as pallette and atmosphere.

game companies just dont give a hoot anymore. they riding on their laurels. they used to make demo's. not anymore and you know why.
  78. Jun 1, 2014
    Play this game if you don't mind some cream in your jeans. Holy **** they did it: a single-player only FPS with an interesting and nuanced plot, great gunplay, graphics, and characters. Shooting Nazis no less! I loved this game, buy i t before you finish reading this.

As a Polishman myself, playing as a Polish badass was inspiring to say the least. I know BJ Blazkowicz has been around since Wolf 3D, but here he's pretty much the perfect protagonist for the game: tough, sense of humour, and with a dash of philosophising. All the characters were great (stereotypes sure, but great), with special mentions going to Fergus **** keeping Wyatt around), Anya, and Set. Was really immersed, which is not something that happens often with FPSes for me (I definitely think the lack of multiplayer helped here).

Shooting people was fantastic all through the game; dual-wielding shotguns gave me a warm fuzzy feeling I haven't felt with a game for a while. They really worked to make the Nazis hateable all over again, which made blowing them to bits that much better. **** political correctness. All the guns got great use, although I think a tiny bit too much emphasis was put on the laser weapon...but it's kickass, so who cares. Enemies were varied and kept you on your toes...I died many, many times charging in with the same tactics. Stealth was simple yet effective as well, and actually benefits you every time it's implemented.

Finally, the environments and ambition of the game. This was the best part of the game for me. Environments were great (prison, asylum, A BRIDGE OVER GIBRALTAR?!) as was the globe-trotting. I love Europe, so seeing how much of it fell to the Nazis was always refreshing; this was also aided with the use of newspaper clippings and letters. The game uses the implication of what happened to other countries to give the impression that the situation is bigger than you. I really expected to go to America, I really did, and the fact that Bethesda averted that gives the game some cojones. Would have liked venturing outside of Europe for one mission (or perhaps a bonus mission or DLC) or having an epic airship battle above the clouds...just to mix things up.

Oh yeah, and the graphics are sexy too (on Ultra)!

Overall, Wolfenstein: The New Order is a must-play. Badass mechanics, engrossing environments, and its excellent plot make it one of the best games of 2014 so far, if not the best. 9.3/10.
  79. Jun 26, 2014
    A nice old school FPS game. To me, it looks like a sequel early 2000 shooter games I used to like, but like whose games, it is not perfect by any means. Graphic and gameplay are very good, the story is ok, but the level design could have been much better. I'd like to see a multiplayer add-on for it ( preferably free ), I think it really needs it.
  80. May 28, 2014
    I think dev's point was to assure the essence of FPS games and not to screw in story matter.
    In that, New Order is freaking awesome. Yes, Multiplay would've been nice but i can understand it.
    If you expected a next-gen mind blowing game, dont buy it. If your gaming life were old enough that you know or played DOOM & former Wolfensteins, I'd say give it a try. Pro Combat rocks

Pro
    Combat rocks
    Story decent
    Nonstop(fluent?) walkthrough
    Killing Nazis
    Nice mixture of old fps systems (some new)

Cons
    Some bugs and graphic issues
    No multiplay
    Not a lot of new, innovative ****
    60 bucks
  81. May 24, 2014
    A brilliant end to the Wolfenstein franchise. Exciting and adrenaline rushing gameplay, intense cutscenes, guns blazing, explosions everywhere, this game is amazing. And the storyline is incredibly gripping and emotional at the end, with fantastic FPS for Ultra settings on high-end computers. If your computer isn't high-end, then get the console version and stop complaining. 10/10. ThisA brilliant end to the Wolfenstein franchise. Exciting and adrenaline rushing gameplay, intense cutscenes, guns blazing, explosions everywhere, this game is amazing. And the storyline is incredibly gripping and emotional at the end, with fantastic FPS for Ultra settings on high-end computers. If your computer isn't high-end, then get the console version and stop complaining. 10/10. This game is brilliant. Will be playing this again and again. Expand
  82. May 23, 2014
    The game starts off at an intense interactive pace and doesn't let up. Excellent writing and story and gameplay! I played the original and they all keep getting better. Great work!

Those giving yellow and red scores on this game are either trolls or immature people who wouldn't like a game if it was free and made of gold.
  83. May 23, 2014
    Fantastic!
    Good to see a return to simplistic fps games where nothing is overly complicated, Health/armour/ammo etc etc
    Also would like to congratulate developers for making the achievements doable without stupid online achievements or relying on other players just to get some of them! Makes the game more fun not having to concentrate on getting achievements as priority over enjoying
    Fantastic!
    Makes the game more fun not having to concentrate on getting achievements as priority over enjoying the gameplay first.
    Graphics and colours are great, Sound/Music is atmospheric.
    Game only has minor glitches here and there but has not crashed once with everything set to maximum detail, Quite a nice change from a lot of current games.
  84. May 28, 2014
    BUY BUY BUY - This game is as close to perfect as I have seen in years. The game looks amazing if you aren't trying to run it on some potato computer as apparently other reviewers are. The Story is epically insane and just masterful. The CutScenes and immersion are absolutely top notch. I PRAAAAAY we get more from machine games of this caliber, It would deserve an immediate pre order atBUY BUY BUY - This game is as close to perfect as I have seen in years. The game looks amazing if you aren't trying to run it on some potato computer as apparently other reviewers are. The Story is epically insane and just masterful. The CutScenes and immersion are absolutely top notch. I PRAAAAAY we get more from machine games of this caliber, It would deserve an immediate pre order at whatever price they set.

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING GAME. if you aren't some child who didn't play the first you will doubly enjoy it.
  85. Jun 1, 2014
    Amazing game I have been waiting for two years for such kind of a brilliant game play. The story and the characters never make you bored its always exciting.
  86. Jun 2, 2014
    Yet another AWESOME Wolf game released!!!! I always loved them and this game travels in the right direction with the Wolf games!!! I love all the little ID references from past games. I am in heaven!!! Im glad I pre-ordered!
  87. Jun 2, 2014
    I'm a 44 year old gamer, and have been playing PC games since the early 1990s. As an avid fan of old classics like Half Life 1 & 2, Quake, and Unreal Tournament series, as well as most AAA titles all the way to present day. I cannot stand console ports, and am usually quite picky. But I cannot recommend Wolfenstein: TNO highly enough. It starts off as a basic FPS shooter but quicklyI'm a 44 year old gamer, and have been playing PC games since the early 1990s. As an avid fan of old classics like Half Life 1 & 2, Quake, and Unreal Tournament series, as well as most AAA titles all the way to present day. I cannot stand console ports, and am usually quite picky. But I cannot recommend Wolfenstein: TNO highly enough. It starts off as a basic FPS shooter but quickly evolves to a game that I can only best compare to Half Life 2. The story is absolutely top notch, the voice acting is outstanding, and the FPS shooter is smart and a blast to play. I'm serious, this is the closest game I've played since 2004 to Half Life 2. If nothing else, I recommend you pay full price for this game, the developers deserve it, and it's the only way to keep getting titles like this. This will be a contender for Game of the Year 2014. Expand
  88. Jun 4, 2014
    This is definitely a 9/10 for me. Although there are some performance bugs for the PC, overall it doesn't really affect how fun and enjoyable this game really is. The story is amazing. WTNO is probably the best FPS I've recently played since BioShock Infinite.
  89. Jun 6, 2014
    One of the best games I have played in a long time.Graphics are amazing game play keeps you constantly entertained I defiantly recommend this game go out and buy it.
  90. Jun 10, 2014
    Its a great game even for slower gaming pc like my .however the enige not load always the texture the story line is great and the graphics are amazing
  91. Jan 8, 2015
    Wolfenstein is a small cut above most modern shooters nowadays, mostly because it adds a layer of character depth that most FPS games neglect, though at no point did I feel very emotionally invested in anyone.

Level/environmental design is quite varied, yet the visuals are slightly outdated due to some noticeable low res textures and lack of anti-aliasing. Texture pop-in and framerate hitches were some other performance issues I came across occasionally. Disabling screen space reflections and shadow resolution decreased the stuttering greatly while also producing little to no discernible difference in visual quality, yet texture pop-in remained unresolved.

Gameplay mechanics are also quite solid and guns feel satisfying to use, though I do wish the game would automatically collect ammunition just to make it that little less tedious.

Overall rating - 7.7/10
  92. Aug 31, 2014
    The atmosphere is a kind of deeper than in lots of other world war 2 shooters. The system requirements seemed incredible high on the back of the cover but I can set everything on highest level with my 3 year old pc. No multiplayer mode? I could imagine that it could have been fun. A plus which is very seldom for German dubbin speakers in pc games, the speakers are according to theThe atmosphere is a kind of deeper than in lots of other world war 2 shooters. The system requirements seemed incredible high on the back of the cover but I can set everything on highest level with my 3 year old pc. No multiplayer mode? I could imagine that it could have been fun. A plus which is very seldom for German dubbin speakers in pc games, the speakers are according to the atmosphere. Now for 35 €. That´s price worth (like 45 $) in my opinion. Expand
  93. Sep 7, 2014
    First, let me start off by saying that I am not "really" a big FPS fan. I've played a lot of shooting games back in the days (quake, unreal, F.E.A.R, battlefield, CoD and many more...) but have been hooked to aRPG / MMOs for years now.

Now, I have played many of the "recent" FPS titles but always ended up leaving the games aside for a reason or another. CoD: Ghost got me bored after only 3 hours of gaming, Crysis 3 was graphically stunning but kinda got repetitive and more like a chore to play for me.

The problem with many new titles these days (not only FPS) is that they try to be "unique" and sometimes focus too much on "new" gameplay features rather than the actual content of the game. Wolfenstein: The New Order is not original in that regard and offers a rather traditional game play, so no surprises there.
    Progressing through the waves of enemies can be a bit dull in the way that there is not a huge variety of them but the AI is not the worst I've seen in a FPS game.

All of that aside, Wolfenstein: TNO kept me hooked until the very end. The strongest point of the game is clearly the story, and more precisely the way it is integrated to the game play. Some people might not like the "lack of originality" when it comes to controls but after finishing the game, I thought that the play through was rather "natural" and intuitive.

The graphics are not "next gen" but pretty good. Crysis 3 did a bit better in that regard but people who rate the game 0 because they are not satisfied with the textures are a bit silly. (But hey, it's the internet!)
    I didn't find that controls were a problems in any way ("finger gymnastics" as mentioned by some people) and experienced one minor bug only through the whole game (went through the floor while trying to jump where i wasn't supposed to). There are occasionally however as mentioned by a few people collision issues with bigger sized enemies that basically make them harmless.

I had no expectations and knew nothing about this title before actually playing it. I felt that some parts were a bit over the top but overall it had been a while since I enjoyed a FPS game like this. I liked the characters and their development through the game.

Despite being a bit linear, I feel that the game should keep most people interested until the end.

Gameplay / controls: 6/10 (because a bit linear / not innovative)
    Graphics: 8/10 (It's not next gen, but it's good)
    Story: 8/10 (It's not perfect, but it does the job well)

I give it a 7 out of 10.
  94. Oct 20, 2014
    Ok, so is it too much for a person to expect a great game out of a franchise? Yet another swing and a miss. Decent premise, but poor execution.

The problem with this game is the same as many others, it tries to straddle stealth with action ala the Crysis series, then fails miserably. Oh you silently and successfully kill everyone in an area but a random dude two stories below you on a rainy night see you and calls the alarm? Totally plausible.

Honestly, I was really looking forward to a game with what was billed like a game with great graphics silently killing Nazis with a knife, instead I get just might as well shoot them in standard linear COD format, with beautiful NP cutscenes and somewhat atrocious gamplay graphics. Not to mention an auto lockon bug which prevents stealth kill shots. I had seriously been waiting months to play this, and the wait and expectation was considerably more fun than the actual game

Basic shootemup hoping once again for more. Killing some Nazis was the only thing that earned it a 5.
  95. Dec 31, 2014
    Just a great FPS shooter. Old school, fast, with great main hero and story. Don´t hasitate to try it, you will love it. One of the best single player shooters in last years.
  96. Jun 27, 2014
    The first person shooter is back! Wolfenstein The New Order focuses on one thing: being an excellent first person shooter. The 2009 Wolfenstein by Raven Software tried to introduce an open world game concept but failed badly in the execution. Yes, Wolfenstein The New Order is a CoD-like tunnel-shooter with a lot of scripting and cut scenes but this is what works best for a character likeThe first person shooter is back! Wolfenstein The New Order focuses on one thing: being an excellent first person shooter. The 2009 Wolfenstein by Raven Software tried to introduce an open world game concept but failed badly in the execution. Yes, Wolfenstein The New Order is a CoD-like tunnel-shooter with a lot of scripting and cut scenes but this is what works best for a character like B.J. Blazkowicz. The game feels more like the 2001 Return to Castle Wolfenstein but gives an immense insight in B.J. Blazkowicz's character. In Return to Castle Wolfenstein B.J. didn't say a single word while other characters have been talking. The parallel universe setting with a Nazi-Regime in the 1960's who won WWII in 1946 and even managed to visit the moon creates an extremely interesting environment to explore. The only thing that I missed in Wolfenstein The New Order was actually Hilter as the Ober-Boss. He was in the 1992 Wolfenstein 3D so why not in Wolfenstein The New Order as an old man in a gigantic robot suite? I also feel the game designers could have made more of the Jewish-Atlantis culture but maybe all of this will come in a sequel? Expand
  97. May 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Explosions, locations, textures are very nice, the worlds are massive. The AI and the hit point system needs a complete make over. For instance: The amount of bullets needed to kill an "Uebersoldat" is absolutely unbelievable and does not make sense at all - less would be more. Best bit is the lame response of most of the common enemy soldiers during a knife fight. The game has a huge potential only by textures, design and characters, unfortunately the complete atmosphere will be killed by repeating shout-outs, a pointless hitpoint system and really stupid enemies. Fast food for for experienced first person action heroes. Graphics a clean 10, the rest is max. 4-5 which makes in total a 6-7. Expand
  98. May 22, 2014
    A great game, if a bit on the short side. I really loved the amount of detail and atmosphere this game has. If you've enjoyed games for the likes of Far Cry 3 and Fallout 3, you will love this game. It's bristling with character. The story is entertaining, and refreshing. There's much value in re playability, since you unlock things by collecting various secret items and there's sideA great game, if a bit on the short side. I really loved the amount of detail and atmosphere this game has. If you've enjoyed games for the likes of Far Cry 3 and Fallout 3, you will love this game. It's bristling with character. The story is entertaining, and refreshing. There's much value in re playability, since you unlock things by collecting various secret items and there's side quests you can take. Expand
  99. May 25, 2014
    This game is a solid 8. Great story, great environment, very immersing. Levels are well thought and done. I cannot remember playing such a good single player mode since maybe Hidden & Dangerous in the late 90's. You really have to think your next move, it isn't an 'all guns blazing' game!

The progress cannot be saved everywhere - the saves are location based. However this isn't a major problem. More annoying is the weapon swap system - turn the mouse wheel to get a circular menu to pick the weapon from. Most of the time is fine, but in the heat of the battle is less than ideal! Would it be too much to ask for a PC-only control? Drop that circular control for PC users! We don't use gamepads! This is the main reason for an 8/10.

Fortunately, I got the DVD disks rather than the download. I am glad I did that - this game will take a massive 47GB of your hard drive! 11 of them will have to be downloaded after the disk installation anyway! HD's are cheap these days, but it could be a problem for some if not much space left inside the box.

Graphics are OK on my 4year old machine. Nothing special but no frame-rate problem like in most newly released games (BF4, Ghosts, Titanfall).

Some complain this doesn't have a multiplayer. Yes, it is true, but buy it just for the single player - it is beautifully done (in a creepy, nazi evil way, of course). A multiplayer may emerge in the future. If the maps will be as well thought as the single level ones, we may be in for a surprise. Of course, they could fail the MP by not releasing public sever files!

This game is a breath of fresh air in the world of PC gaming, where we were promised so much lately, only to be disappointed time and time again.

Buy it!
  100. Jun 28, 2014
    First impressions where not good. This game is done on the id Tech 5 engine, same as RAGE, so it suffers from some horrible, horrible low res textures up close. Amazingly, lowering the texture settings not only increases performance, but it doesn't decrease visual fidelity as far as I could see. Perhaps the highest settings are meant for 4K displays.
    Once you get past that, the art
    Once you get past that, the art direction is impeccable. The Nazis look menacing, the weapons, vehicles and even space suits look the business. The buildings and the equipment has that brutal design that Hitler was so fascinated with intertwined with 60's flavour.

Another thing worthy of note, is the characterisation and story settings. It feels mature and well thought out. Sure, the alternative history thing has been done to death, but as you walk through different areas and hear conversations and look newspaper articles, you get a real sense of what a horrible world the Nazis have created.
    In one particular scene, you have a close encounter with a Nazi official where she toys with you for her own amusement. It is a masterful moment of suspense that drives home the power Nazis have over the population. Masterful.

Gameplay is great, and that's saying a lot in this day and age of FPS saturated game market. You get to shoots Nazis on the moon. THE MOON! Brilliant.
    The weapons are satisfying and some of them, like the laser torch, quite novel.
    The enemies feel like they are capable fighters and even try to flank you. Not overly tough, but a challenge regardless.

Overall, a terrific game that is a must for FPS fans.

1. Aug 6, 2014
    A great reimagining of the series, delivering a fun experience to shooter fans, while bringing a good story and some solid mechanics that feel fresh but still know the roots of the franchise.
  2. CD-Action
    Jul 25, 2014
    The only thing in the new Wolfenstein that turned out really well is music. Shooting is decent and some weapons give proper sense of power, but developers failed to build an interesting game on these foundations. It has some good moments but none of them lasts long enough to be satisfying. Plus the writing is terrible and the way the game constantly forces all that ‘war is evil!’ preaching and Blazkowicz’s moral dilemmas down your throat is ridiculous. I actually couldn’t decide whether the game is being serious or not. [07/2014, p.56]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 8, 2014
    If you've enjoyed shooters of old, you'll love how freshly packaged this one is.