8.2

1. May 20, 2014
    4 hours to download, install, and patch on a 50mbps FIOS Quantum connection and 12 hours to finish the game on "Death Incarnate" difficulty. Despite the claims about the improvements offered by MegaTexture, they don't justify the file size when, on the highest settings, they still don't look all that great. at 1080p. Maybe 4k resolutions will get a benefit but that's debatable. Gunplay is4 hours to download, install, and patch on a 50mbps FIOS Quantum connection and 12 hours to finish the game on "Death Incarnate" difficulty. Despite the claims about the improvements offered by MegaTexture, they don't justify the file size when, on the highest settings, they still don't look all that great. at 1080p. Maybe 4k resolutions will get a benefit but that's debatable. Gunplay is great, story is good (but just shy of great), and replay value is moderate.

Not a game I'd recommend at the $60 price point and if you have slower internet or download caps, don't even bother (even the retail disk version requires a 10+GB day 1 patch).
  2. Jun 11, 2014
    Wolfenstein. One of the games that biult the genre of shooters. What have you become?
    No hardcore. Absolutely no challenge in the game. I played FPS using gamepad for the very first time of my life, I felt myself easily when playing second hardest difficulty. Sad, really sad. That ruined my feelings about the game. This era left a dlan of "press X to win" even on a new Wolfenstein, but all in all, this is a good game worth buying.
  3. Nov 20, 2014
    It's been far too long since a game dabbled in the histories of WW2. Long gone is the era of fighting off waves of Nazis and blowing up Hitler. Wolfenstein luckily recaptures some of that nostalgia. Albeit, intertwined with the weirdest and nastiest machines, guns and explosions. It's worth the purchase, even if for the campaign run-through. I had fun, but once it was completed, I had noIt's been far too long since a game dabbled in the histories of WW2. Long gone is the era of fighting off waves of Nazis and blowing up Hitler. Wolfenstein luckily recaptures some of that nostalgia. Albeit, intertwined with the weirdest and nastiest machines, guns and explosions. It's worth the purchase, even if for the campaign run-through. I had fun, but once it was completed, I had no real intention of wanting to come back to it. Fun to watch and fun to play. 7/10 Expand
  4. Jul 19, 2014
    must say, the game has convinced me, there are still good shooters being released. i loved to play it, graphics are massive & the story was well contained through the whole game. but what i must say, i wouldn't buy it for the full price, rent it or buy it when the price drops. like bioshock infinite, an unique impressive experience, but not for this price.
  5. Jun 1, 2014
    Wolfenstein is a fun over the top campy shooter that tickles my patriotism bone. AI is a little soft in the head but overall the game is enjoyable. fun/10
  6. Dec 11, 2014
    +Сюжет
    +Колоритные персонажи
    +Атмосфера +Музыка +Дизайн +Музыкальное сопровождение -Оружие плохо ощущается -Глупые противники -Примитивный стелс -Каноничная непрошибаемость героя -Скромный арсенал -Слабая роль системы перков -Блёклая графика
    +Сюжет
    -Скромный арсенал
    -Слабая роль системы перков
    -Блёклая графика
  7. Jul 4, 2017
    Warning this game is not optimized for AMD Cards. If you still want to play it, you will need to download and install the Voksi Fix. Just Google it!
    Now to the game itself.
    Now to the game itself.
    The story is decent, the dialog , the voice acting and sound design are top notch, but I really don’t understand why this game is called Wolfenstein. I thought the Wolfenstein Series was an action FPS, but this felt more like an average stealth FPS with a bit of action.
    The combat is just average, yes you can dual wield almost everything, but that also means that you will burn ammunition much faster, and since the game is very stingy at giving ammunition and the enemies are the bullet sponge type, coupled with the fact that you will need to grab every single piece of ammunition from the ground (like a few rounds at a time), it just ruined the shooting part of the game for me.
    The game is also riddled with performance issues, like really bad Fps fluctuations, and screen tearing, and it’s also locked at 60 FPS, but good luck at even getting to 30 fps with an AMD card without the Voksi fix. And even with it, don’t expect to play at the highest setting if you want to keep a 60 Fps lock (Spoilers! ............... You won’t).

P.S: And Bethesda, go f*** you self’s, for not fixing the PC port for Amd users.
  8. May 27, 2014
    So far so good, it has a solid gameplay, good graphics and a decent singler player campaign.
    I dont usually love fps games but this one stands out. Really worth the money
  9. Jul 20, 2014
    I am not sure why peoe find the story good here. Looking at the cutscene and trying not to laugh at it should be an included achievment by itself. It really feels like a 10 years old wrote that down and the devs said "Ok!". Its not AWFUL... Its just... It doesn' make sense most of the time. Like you steal 2 gigantic helicopter and you park them in the MIDDLE of a Nazi town plagued withI am not sure why peoe find the story good here. Looking at the cutscene and trying not to laugh at it should be an included achievment by itself. It really feels like a 10 years old wrote that down and the devs said "Ok!". Its not AWFUL... Its just... It doesn' make sense most of the time. Like you steal 2 gigantic helicopter and you park them in the MIDDLE of a Nazi town plagued with camera and this sound like a good idea? Wt*... How can this be "wow so cool!"?? And the game has this kind of strange stuff like taht non stop. It was seriously a pain going trough the story.

For gameplay, it's ok. The fact that you can have double gun with rifles is nice but overall its so useless because your aim is awful, you spend so much ammo and you walk slower. You use it 2 times and then see that uts an awful way to shoot at ennemies so you just hide yourself and do headshot.

And GOD, for a shooter that is named Wolfenstein stop asking me to look non stop on the ground to press a button to grab ammo or health. God... This is not an RPG. Its a shooter where you want to destroy your ennemy. Each time you enter a room you must search for ammos and hp because if you dont you will die so its alwahs taht mini search game looking at the ground for ammos. Sounds loke fun?

And the laser gun... I suppose they wanted their gravity gun or something like that, but overall it seems pushed on you and plain annoying to use and recharge. Its powerful yes, but man I am playing wolfenstein: I want to shoot shotguns and non stop rifle on the ennemy. But you will be forced to use that laser gun.

Its an ok shooter for 10$ max. 60$ is way too much. And also way too short.
  10. Sep 8, 2014
    When I bought the game I promised myself to be open-minded and not to judge book by its cover. Was I disappointed? In a way: yes. Don't get me wrong, the premise, the atmosphere and the story itself are thought-over and executed well enough to satisfy my sentiments (mind you: I count myself as an avid id games fan), but there are too many things that let me down.

Sin 1) Checkpoints:

Sin 1) Checkpoints: you cannot save game, when you make mistake, you have either to "live with it", or restart from checkpoint - of which some are scattered unevenly across chapters. Even worse, sometimes you aren't even able to backtrack between them (see sin 3). Just think about a piece of action when you silently killed 15 Nazis, but somehow the 16th managed to avoid the execution and sounded the alarm... Kaboom! You have no option but deal with the mayhem or do everything from the beginning.
    Sin 2) The cut scenes - they irritated me rather than moved the story forward. In fact by developers' choice some of the player actions are cutscenes as well. Take the attack of the panzerhund: not only you don't have choice of weapon (knife), but in some cases made the dog invincible to any weapon when attacking (because the cutscene took over while I was firing at it).
    Sin 3) Open world? Where's the bloody open world? The game and gameplay is annoyingly linear (don't be fooled by "choices" it offers you - not only they are marginal for the action, but they don't influence the outcome). Also you are VERY limited in exploring the surroundings, even to the point that finding an alternate route makes the game "glitch" - like Nazis spawning behind you in corridor you just explored.

Not a sin, but still a thing to think about: the fun factor. Lets face it, I'm still having more fun with trusty, TEN YEAR OLD Half Life 2 than The New Order. I don't recall ANY game that made me curse so much as Wolfenstein - not because it challenged me, but because I was powerless to affect what was unfolding.
  11. Jun 8, 2014
    B.J. Blazkowicz is back as gun-toting protagonist in this alternate history shooter. His impressive jaw line makes it hard to look at anything else during the excessive third person cut scenes. Years pass in seconds, as you experience the life of a vegetable, before you spring back to life to battle Nazis while you whisper sweet nothings to yourself.

New Order has dreadfully average

New Order has dreadfully average combat. The pistol, assault rifle and shotgun feel too similar and look the same. You can duel wield all the grey-brown weapons to reload twice as often and walk around like your legs are tied together. The bullet weapons are soulless, but they do the job against standard enemies. When you get your hands on the chain guns, those unlimited ammo bullet-hoses the super soldiers carry, you’ll discover they don’t have unlimited ammo and BJ refuses to drop them once empty. So the laser gun is the main weapon you'll be using against the armoured units because it is order of magnitudes better than anything else you have on hand. It's also used to cut through metal boxes and grates, but not wooden boxes because the Nazis make wooden boxes to much higher standards. In the last third of the game you’ll spend more time looking at the lasergun charge stations than enemies.

So after every battle you have to scurry around and manually pick up ammo and armor. This is absolutely perfect for game designers because they can extend game length by forcing people to hunt for the stuff you should just be able to walk over. It might not be so bad if everything - ammo, health, weapons – weren’t the same shade of gunmetal grey-brown that blends into the environments. This manual collection of items does not suit the style of play New Order occasionally attempts.

New Order is not all about mediocre action though; it has horrible, arbitrary stealth areas too. Stealth suffers mostly because the IQ of the AI is about 100 points below normal. When they get close to you, their heads turn to look directly at you, yet they do nothing. When the AI decides you stood in the middle of the corridor too long, get ready for them to walk towards you with their batons raised. Even auto-turrets firing at you do not attract the attention of nearby patrolling guards. Stealth is mostly optional, but you are essentially deciding between the poor covert approach or weak guns blazing.

New Order includes its fair share of pacing issues, most of them ludicrous for a game that is often trying to replicate ‘old-school’ shooters. When you return to your base between missions, you play errand boy for different characters. New Order isn’t trying to make a joke of games that do fetch quests – it just does them to pad out the already thin shooting. There are other sections with sparse action too, such as the moon base which has so few enemies that it felt like the game forgot to spawn them. You can sleepwalk through the many linear, hand-holding areas before the game takes half your weapons away for the next combat mission.

Not all is horrible in New Order, but there so few notable positives to talk about. The Wolfenstein 3D Easter egg (top floor of base) is a nice homage even if they couldn’t get the shooting animations correct. Other references to the old games got me a little nostalgic too, like the roast dinner that restores your health. The ghastly RAGE engine is not so bad in New Order, even if it has low-res textures and minimal interactive elements. At least there is decent level variety, small bits of destruction and retro design. New Order is a huge letdown with its mediocre combat, dumb AI, poor pacing and questionable design decisions. 5/10
  12. May 23, 2014
    Hmm. It's late, and I'm going to rant a bit. Seams to me that devs who brought us groundbreaking Riddick game have run out of steam. This game is a mixed bag. Gunplay is decent and lies somewhere between of half life and rage. Setting is also cool. The overall game is similar in it's structure to hl. Story is really bad, although voice acting is very good. I started to skipping cutscenesHmm. It's late, and I'm going to rant a bit. Seams to me that devs who brought us groundbreaking Riddick game have run out of steam. This game is a mixed bag. Gunplay is decent and lies somewhere between of half life and rage. Setting is also cool. The overall game is similar in it's structure to hl. Story is really bad, although voice acting is very good. I started to skipping cutscenes after a while cause the plot just doesn't deliver and drags on. Game like this don't need story. All that budget could go towards making the gameplay better. Campaign super boring and disjointed, although there are some exciting setpieces in it. But I would trade those for great level design. levels feel very small ( the amount of rooms you visit, not small as not free roaming like crysis), and I really don't like the linear approach. Seriously, walking from arena to arena is super boring. It was cool when they did that in Painkiller, and painkiller build its gameplay around that with hundreds of enemies, but now it's just redundant. Levels need some variety in its structure. I still don't understand why games have left maze levels behind. Those were like little worlds. No amount of shooting will replace that. And interiors need to be spacier so it is easier to know where is what, because they are so full of detail that it is hard to see anything. Ai is pretty crap. Not sure why they didn't use rage ai. That one was solid. Most of the time I'd be just camping in one spot, taking down enemies one by one. And if you try to run and gun, enemies will take you down pretty quickly. Slide movement is cool, although it is awkward to execute on the kb. But no shooting and reloading while running is really getting on my nerves these days. Also the loot - way too much of it. But that's because enemies accuracy is almost 100%, so you will always get shoot, and soo there's need to be a lot of pick ups. Again, missing that old school "visible projectiles" you could avoid. It felt like you actually gaining skill, and there was no need for so many pick ups. I can't imagine who's idea it was that you need to press a key for each item. Absolutely tedious in every game. Why not just automatically pick up everything you touch? That would make sense. There is a perk system also, but I'm completely uninterested in it at this point. Music is pretty much none existent. The most fun I had in this game was first level after the intro sequence, and the Easter egg: the original wolfenstein level.
    I'm very sorry to say that because Riddick is one of the best games ever made, and I highly respect the devs, but I would give this game a miss, maybe until sale.
  13. Jul 14, 2014
    A game that has an ok start but turns up to be just another average console shooter port. The story is nice, but whatever good comes of it is slowly eradicated by some very basic enemy AI and the absolute linearity of the game itself. If you expect something special from this game you might be disappointed.
  14. May 27, 2014
    This game was okay at first then the more I played, the more it seemed to get a little better. The gunplay in the game is kind of hilarious in the sense that you feel so overpowered but that's a good thing especially since on any difficulty past normal the robots will tear you a new one. As well as the gunplay being fun the story seemed to keep me wanting to play even though it was not theThis game was okay at first then the more I played, the more it seemed to get a little better. The gunplay in the game is kind of hilarious in the sense that you feel so overpowered but that's a good thing especially since on any difficulty past normal the robots will tear you a new one. As well as the gunplay being fun the story seemed to keep me wanting to play even though it was not the best i still enjoyed it very much. Graphics wise the game looks a little outdated as if the textures just seemed a bit mushy or something but the effects were excellent and the game is fun to play so I guess that's all that counts. Expand
  15. Jun 21, 2014
    Not terrible, but not really what I was expecting. Graphically it was nice, no major problems for me, except some very occasional slowness after restarting a checkpoint.

Starts well enough, but after a few chapters it changes to feel very Half-life-ish - slower pacing, big industrial complexes, battling an oppressive regime, crates! etc. I liked the Half-life series, so this wasn't so bad, but not really what I was expecting.

Let down by:
    - Too many cutscenes, and the fact that they are 3rd person. I found it quite jarring the way it breaks up the flow of the 1st person action. Contrast this with HL series where you remain 1st person during the whole game.

- a poor save system (no quick save/quick load!), which makes the game tedious if you're struggling on a particular section: hearing the same dialog over and over when the scene begins etc, and fighting the same fights again. Also the checkpoint isn't a saved with your stats/weapons - it seems to reset to some default. And if you run through a section, not killing enemies, hit the checkpoint, then die, when you reload the enemies are all gone! This just seems lazy on the developer's part.

- It just wasn't really that enjoyable. Not enough action, bland story and characters... and lacking in a certain immature humour or deviant nature that Id titles had. It felt quite ...sterile.
  16. Jul 8, 2014
    Pros: I really like the end game SONG! The in game sounds and graphics are very good. Even the gameplay is strong and can be fun (the weapons are excellent).

Cons: The story is nonsensical and caters to adolescents! Way over the top violence (for what purpose) and subtle sex just for the teenage boys. The main character is a jack of all trades in personality and doesn't logically make sense in terms of consistency or plausibility. Key story elements in the game are accomplished and artificially become irrelevant. I could explain in details, but it would to contain spoilers..

Overall: Thank goodness I got it on a Steam sale for $29.99 (it is not worth $50+ dollars - not even close). Id apparently is only good with game mechanics, the story could have been so much better... I wish them luck with Doom 4.
  17. Jun 15, 2014
    The game is solid, by that i mean that the game has few bugs and actually i have enjoyed playing through the campaign. The protagonist always gives you that feeling that through adversity, the brave can triumph against opression.

I love the scenery that blazkowicz has to transverse, from the aerial shooting stuff, to the ground combat, the environment leaves you in no uncertain mind what you are up against. I like this, the nazi symbology and signs etc give depth to the linear levels.

Critically,
    i have a few issues, first i wish blazkowicz had more attitude, i know it's not duke nukem but the guy's a hero, i had hoped he's be more carefree in his prose.

I had hoped the game would stick to it's occult roots. This is semi-evident in the game but doesn't take it to the heights that i was used to in previous games.

The combat rose in clunky, in that there seems little benefit in equipping 2 of the same weapon, when hiding and precision grants you more success.

HEALING AURA ACTIVE...

Yeah,mulitplayer. Sad because any game with the right mechanics in multi can usurp the big 2, there is a market there to offer a different experience to bf/cod but it has not been taken. The only reason i feel that this feature has not been a fundamental part of the game is that they felt they would lose users if they charged for dlc/add-ons
  18. Jun 3, 2014
    Pros:
    1. Old-school shooter
    2. Graphics are OK 3. 16 levels Campaign is OK 4. Two ways to finish the game. 5. No autoheal Cons: 1. No Co-op or Multiplayer 2. Unnecessary loading times 3. When you start a level you lose all your weapons = very lame. 4. I completed the game on hard difficulty (I am death incarnate) and the game cheats. I like challenge but not cheating. 5. The
    Pros:
    1. Old-school shooter
    2. Graphics are OK
    3. 16 levels Campaign is OK
    4. Two ways to finish the game.
    5. No autoheal
    Cons:
    1. No Co-op or Multiplayer
    2. Unnecessary loading times
    3. When you start a level you lose all your weapons = very lame.
    5. The story is constantly switching between serious matter and comedy.

I expected another crap shooter like Alien Rage,but this is actually pretty good game. I can imagine with co-op and multiplayer this would be a blast. The ending is open so we can expect DLC or expansions hopefully with multiplayer included. I hope the new DOOM will be better.
  19. Jun 28, 2014
    I'm a big fan of older id games. Heck, I even enjoyed Doom 3 and Quake 4. But I'm not a fan of Wolfenstein TNO. All its annoyances aggregate into a less than stellar experience.

What's the good? Gunplay is solid. Players can dual wield nearly every weapon. This is handy at higher difficulties since even the weakest enemies take a dozen rounds to drop. Also, guns have alternate fire modes. Although players will have access to all weapons early on, most of the alt modes are not unlocked until later in the game. This breaks up the monotony and balances the game a bit.

The campaign lasts about 15 hours. For a $60 title with no multiplayer, that's the minimum I'd expect. The environments are varied and allow for slight amounts of exploration. So levels feel bigger than what they are. Players can employ different tactics to dispatch enemies. Stealth can be more effective than run and gun at times. And sometimes camping behind a box and popping baddies one by one is most effective. No style dominates the game. At the hardest difficulties, run and gun is least effective. However, after a single playthrough I noticed stealth is broken. Patrols will walk over dead bodies and not sound the alarm. They will only sound the alarm if they see the player or see him kill someone. So there is no need to drop baddies out of sight. Not very challenging.

What's the bad? The game is buggy. During cutscenes, audio and mouth movements don't sync (think Skyrim) breaking the emersion. Turning off Vsync sometimes helps, but then there is horrible screen tearing to deal with. Also, the game randomly freezes briefly at set intervals during the first few missions. The freezing magically stopped after progressing further. Using a controller presents other problems due to inconsistent button behavior. I select alt fire mode, and the map opens. I open the radial and select a weapon, my character briefly freezes while taking damage before the next weapon is available. Under normal circumstances that's annoying. While playing the hardest difficulty it's downright rage inducing.

The graphics are OK but not a great showcase for the id tech 5 engine. Wolfenstein is plagued with inconsistent textures, pop ins, and jagged edges. Lighting effects drastically change by moving an inch. And there are limited advanced graphic options. There is no AA control. The frame rate is locked at 60fps. Currently, SLI and Crossfire performance stinks. Forcing features thru CCC did not help. Another negative: Wolfenstein is a 50gb install. Plus, a huge patch has to be downloaded. Since the graphics and sound are merely OK, the size is just excessive. Here's a bit of irony: TNO looks like it was made using the Unreal Engine with its almost cartoony/almost cel shaded environments and weapons. Artistically, it looks like any recent Unreal-based games. Was this intentional?

I hate TNO's erratic pacing. Between missions, the player hangs out at a base. And the "errands" between missions slow the game to a crawl. Forget about annihilating Nazis around the clock, because the resistance wants you to stop and find mold samples. Kill a few more Nazis and you're stopped again to find a blowtorch. The base and accompanying side missions mimic Dishonored. But this is Wolfenstein....
    Lastly, I don't like the story. TNO tries too hard. It felt forced. It felt déjà vu. And the ending was just plain lazy. The aforementioned base exists solely to advance the story, but kills the action as a result. Heck, audio logs appear just for progressing through the game. No need to find em. And TNO holds players' hands thru everything. Someone is always on the radio detailing each step. And when "map updated" appears on screen, "secret" items are revealed on the map with a question mark. Too easy. Too pandering.

Sigh. Overall, TNO feels like a tacky homage. I'm annoyed that one of the final battles was ripped directly from Quake 4. Plus, TNO lacks the brutal combat and creativity of the games that made id synonymous with the fps genre. The new developers tried unsuccessfully to create an emotional backdrop instead of focusing on Wolfenstein's most important trait: Gunplay carnage. I'm all for a good story, but TNO's story was so violent, so gory, and just so over the top that I stopped buying into it. How much damage can the main character withstand? There's a difference between badassdom and just plain ridiculous. By the game's end, I didn't have that, "Oh yeah, come get you some" feeling like I did in Max Payne 3. Instead, I was glad it was over.

Wolfenstein TNO is an OK fps. Unfortunately, TNO assimilates elements from other popular games without creating its own identity. This is not the nonstop ride gamers expect. Even worse, it's a console port that needed months of polish before its PC launch. TNO still has performance issues weeks after launch. Asking $60 for buggy title with no multiplayer is a tall order. Wait for this game to go on sale.
  20. May 22, 2014
    Gameplay and mechanics:

The New Order has solid and fun gameplay and some really cool mechanics. Graphics: Graphics are a mixed bag. It runs on ID Tech 5 engine which uses MegaTexture technology and it is not surprising that the textures are low res tho I did expected them to be slightly better. But if you leave low res textures aside there were moments where graphics looked very
    Gameplay and mechanics:

The New Order has solid and fun gameplay and some really cool mechanics.

Graphics:

But if you leave low res textures aside there were moments where graphics looked very realistic and absolutely beautiful but there were also moments where graphics looked very cheap and hideous.
    Game has some obvious performance problems on my PC which has Intel i5 3570k and AMD 6950. But they seem to be related to bad optimization and bad drivers rather than my PC being too weak.

Story:

I was really happy from the beginning to around the middle point as the story was interesting and kept evolving in an interesting way. But around the middle of the story it just got out of hands and it became over-exaggerated BS with some ancient jewish super technology and nazi base on the moon that has super futuristic design and everyone have lazer guns. Near the end it got better again but the middle part really ruined the story for me.
    Also game ended very promptly and left a lot of questions in the air. Including the Blackowiczes faith. This makes me believe that there is some big DLC or even a sequel coming.
  21. Jun 26, 2014
    There are some limitations to consider before you think too deeply about WTNO. WTNO is very very linear. Do not expect much cerebral effort here. It is very predictable in terms of gameplay. However, someone loved this game. There has been effort put in here which manifests in various ways that mean that this stands above any other offering using ID's troubled tech 5 engine. It has aThere are some limitations to consider before you think too deeply about WTNO. WTNO is very very linear. Do not expect much cerebral effort here. It is very predictable in terms of gameplay. However, someone loved this game. There has been effort put in here which manifests in various ways that mean that this stands above any other offering using ID's troubled tech 5 engine. It has a polish missing from many recently titles and although the Tech 5 engine is still very poor on the PC. It seems its use has been perfected to the point it can deliver an acceptable performance on the best hardware.

For the most part the game looks excellent at the ultra setting. Unfortunately it is almost unplayable at the highest texture resolutions for most people without 6 GB VRAM video card (i.e Titan). With Titan or equivalent 6gb VRAM Graphics card it runs fine though slower than one might have thought. Personally, I found the characters and the story more adult and less patronising than most offerings of recent years and the gameplay offered enough variety to keep me playing to the end.

Too linear and too reliant on cut scenes for atmosphere to be a great game yet it was a far better effort than any other mass hyped release recently. Would buy instead of Dark Souls II and Watchdogs and it would be the better choice. Would not turn down a classic for this but it has been a bit of a dry quarter for gaming recently. Not perfect but a quality product within the limitations of the engine. Overall, a step in the right direction.
  22. Jun 7, 2014
    Not great, but good.

Its perks are too easy to achieve, in an attempt to enhance replay value. The game is too much frolic, not enough oomph. It's no Far Cry or Deus Ex...it's linear and not overly challenging or exciting. Blase' is the word I'd use. I've come to expect more of Bethesda. I'd put this on the level of other good, but not great, games like RAGE or Metro (both of them).
    Not great, but good.

What's disappointing is that the game makes it feel like actions don't really matter. There's no tension...no consequence...if anything, when you die you are actually rewarded with unlocking more perks.

All in all, not terrible, but the overall feel is weakened by putting more emphasis on walking through levels and collecting ways of play than actual success. Too easy, too much handholding, while at the same time confusing at times (especially early on) with poor tutorials and unnecessary control options (lean, cover that are not explained).

The story and fun in shooting are adequate, though. I'm not sorry I bought it. I am sorry I bought it for $60 when I would rather be playing bioshock 2, which I got for less than 10 on sale.

Put it on the back burner and buy on the cheap. It's fun-ish!
  23. Jun 13, 2014
    the sound in this game is flat and not immersive. im really suprised. the rifles and guns dont boom like a gun should when you fire it and inside a room it should sound like a cannon. nope, tepid and tinny. not that raw explosive power that would normally be pretty gripping. remember playing the original half life and what the smg sounded like when you fired it the first time?

i played

i played one of the original wolfensteins on the amiga back in the 80's. that was so much more immersive somehow and it was only 2 colors. there was a real sense of tension and timing in breaking out and when the nazi's called for your papers the hairs on the back of your neck stood up.

wolfenstein for the 386 was just ok. it was doom that really brought run and gun to the PC. but wolfenstein for the 386 was fun.

this version is pretty. at least you can say that. if not a wee bit uninspired. i prey a sound mod comes out. its nothing new at all gameplay wise. kind of bland but good models. movevment is a little stiff. seems a bit watered down for a title of this day and age as far as pallette and atmosphere.

game companies just dont give a hoot anymore. they riding on their laurels. they used to make demo's. not anymore and you know why.
  24. Aug 30, 2014
    This is a fun game but it could have been better. The good parts are the game play, as in there are many ways to play it, you can go in guns blazing or find another way around your enemy if you like to stay out of sight more. Interesting combat, where the wall maybe destroyed by enemy fire, or you may shoot out of an air duct to surprise your enemies and so on. But there are some thingsThis is a fun game but it could have been better. The good parts are the game play, as in there are many ways to play it, you can go in guns blazing or find another way around your enemy if you like to stay out of sight more. Interesting combat, where the wall maybe destroyed by enemy fire, or you may shoot out of an air duct to surprise your enemies and so on. But there are some things that aren't so great like the you have to recollect your guns every new chapter, A.I.s sometimes ignore you or the bodies they see, and the story feels like it doesn't ultimately reach a closure where there are like there is a part of the story is missing or a few major characters that the story just leaves out at the end leaving for a ending that makes you wonder where did they go or what happens to them. Summing it up the game play mostly good the story is okay and a sort of cliff hanger ending. Expand
  25. Mar 26, 2016
    I found this game pretty boring and the texture quality is very poor, even on the highest settings. I really had high hopes fore this one, the idea is great but the game is not :(
  26. Sep 7, 2014
    First, let me start off by saying that I am not "really" a big FPS fan. I've played a lot of shooting games back in the days (quake, unreal, F.E.A.R, battlefield, CoD and many more...) but have been hooked to aRPG / MMOs for years now.

Now, I have played many of the "recent" FPS titles but always ended up leaving the games aside for a reason or another. CoD: Ghost got me bored after only 3 hours of gaming, Crysis 3 was graphically stunning but kinda got repetitive and more like a chore to play for me.

The problem with many new titles these days (not only FPS) is that they try to be "unique" and sometimes focus too much on "new" gameplay features rather than the actual content of the game. Wolfenstein: The New Order is not original in that regard and offers a rather traditional game play, so no surprises there.
    Progressing through the waves of enemies can be a bit dull in the way that there is not a huge variety of them but the AI is not the worst I've seen in a FPS game.

All of that aside, Wolfenstein: TNO kept me hooked until the very end. The strongest point of the game is clearly the story, and more precisely the way it is integrated to the game play. Some people might not like the "lack of originality" when it comes to controls but after finishing the game, I thought that the play through was rather "natural" and intuitive.

The graphics are not "next gen" but pretty good. Crysis 3 did a bit better in that regard but people who rate the game 0 because they are not satisfied with the textures are a bit silly. (But hey, it's the internet!)
    I didn't find that controls were a problems in any way ("finger gymnastics" as mentioned by some people) and experienced one minor bug only through the whole game (went through the floor while trying to jump where i wasn't supposed to). There are occasionally however as mentioned by a few people collision issues with bigger sized enemies that basically make them harmless.

I had no expectations and knew nothing about this title before actually playing it. I felt that some parts were a bit over the top but overall it had been a while since I enjoyed a FPS game like this. I liked the characters and their development through the game.

Despite being a bit linear, I feel that the game should keep most people interested until the end.

Gameplay / controls: 6/10 (because a bit linear / not innovative)
    Graphics: 8/10 (It's not next gen, but it's good)
    Story: 8/10 (It's not perfect, but it does the job well)

I give it a 7 out of 10.
  27. Oct 20, 2014
    Ok, so is it too much for a person to expect a great game out of a franchise? Yet another swing and a miss. Decent premise, but poor execution.

The problem with this game is the same as many others, it tries to straddle stealth with action ala the Crysis series, then fails miserably. Oh you silently and successfully kill everyone in an area but a random dude two stories below you on a rainy night see you and calls the alarm? Totally plausible.

Honestly, I was really looking forward to a game with what was billed like a game with great graphics silently killing Nazis with a knife, instead I get just might as well shoot them in standard linear COD format, with beautiful NP cutscenes and somewhat atrocious gamplay graphics. Not to mention an auto lockon bug which prevents stealth kill shots. I had seriously been waiting months to play this, and the wait and expectation was considerably more fun than the actual game

Basic shootemup hoping once again for more. Killing some Nazis was the only thing that earned it a 5.
  28. May 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Explosions, locations, textures are very nice, the worlds are massive. The AI and the hit point system needs a complete make over. For instance: The amount of bullets needed to kill an "Uebersoldat" is absolutely unbelievable and does not make sense at all - less would be more. Best bit is the lame response of most of the common enemy soldiers during a knife fight. The game has a huge potential only by textures, design and characters, unfortunately the complete atmosphere will be killed by repeating shout-outs, a pointless hitpoint system and really stupid enemies. Fast food for for experienced first person action heroes. Graphics a clean 10, the rest is max. 4-5 which makes in total a 6-7. Expand
  29. May 21, 2014
    First, this is a good game, it's fun I like it and I recommend it.

The problem is the AI is very stupid, so if you're into realistic shooting, look elsewere. The story is very good, it's nice to play in a alternate nazi world. But besides the creepy AI, I give it a 6 because the game is absolutely not optimised for PC. When devs make a PC version, we expect at least to be able to
    First, this is a good game, it's fun I like it and I recommend it.

The story is very good, it's nice to play in a alternate nazi world.

But besides the creepy AI, I give it a 6 because the game is absolutely not optimised for PC. When devs make a PC version, we expect at least to be able to have some features that let us take advantage of our hardware. Everyting looks fine at a distance, but when you get close, the graphics are very bad for a game that is made to run on ps4 and next gen. The texure quality is very bad, the anti aliasing sucks it is painfull to watch. Also, there is no option for triple monitor settings.

I know graphics don't make good games, but they could have made basic efforts to optimize the game for current hardware (not even high end) and there wase absolutely no effort made at all.
  30. May 26, 2014
    I understand this is homage for FPS from 90s, but why not making a bit more open world with just a bit more freedom? In 90s "corridor" shooters were popular because of technical limitations. Now there is only one limitation - imagination.
  31. May 27, 2014
    Well, this could of been better. It has its moments but overall its just your average fps game. Animations are well done, the game tries hard to make you care for side characters but honestly I didn't give a f*** hahahaha. Graphics are average at best, locations are boring and dull (It starts awesome but it waters down quickly), vehicle sections are too short, weapons selection is patheticWell, this could of been better. It has its moments but overall its just your average fps game. Animations are well done, the game tries hard to make you care for side characters but honestly I didn't give a f*** hahahaha. Graphics are average at best, locations are boring and dull (It starts awesome but it waters down quickly), vehicle sections are too short, weapons selection is pathetic and you can't upgrade them. Dual wielding is pointless since all you do is waste more ammo and you can't wield say a rifle and shotgun which is stupid. Enemies are boring and stupid. Story is ridiculous, I know they have to explain all that advanced tech somehow but this was too much. They introduced sneaking *sigh* and its forced because you have this commanders that call for backup constantly until killed so you are forced to take them out first silently or you will be outnumbered and outgunned pretty quickly. You can get perks by killing enemies in a certain way certain amount of times but they don't do much either. Collectibles are a mixed bag, some are nice and some just pointless. Expand
  32. May 22, 2014
    This game gets it 50% right.

The action is awesome, the levels are brilliant, the weapons are badass. 50% of the time you are kicking ass and taking names, and it's **** awesome. Unfortunately for the other 50% you are drowned in some campy horrible storyline that didn't need to happen. They try to force a love story down your throat, and just stick in some generic big evil
    This game gets it 50% right.

The action is awesome, the levels are brilliant, the weapons are badass.

50% of the time you are kicking ass and taking names, and it's **** awesome.

Unfortunately for the other 50% you are drowned in some campy horrible storyline that didn't need to happen. They try to force a love story down your throat, and just stick in some generic big evil inhumane baddy.

The ending of the game is rushed.. they probably don't realize it but a major baddy survives completely.

I would ASSUME they are planning a sequel, and I hope they make one, but the game certainly doesn't really come to a very conclusive end. The final boss is pretty sick though, provided a decent challenge etc.

I'm going to assume mecha Hitler will be for the next game.

Multiplayer would have been awesome too.

I hope they take this game, add multiplayer, add coop, and just make a badass sequel out of it.
    This is the kind of game where the sequel, if they put some decent work into it, will just blow everyone away.

It's a fun game, lays some good groundwork for a series, but the **** story takes up too much of the game. I really did not give a **** about any of the characters, there's a secret society bit that just trails off at the end that could have had potential, but they just kill it pretty quickly.

A better ending was needed tbh, considering I'm pretty sure a sequel definitely won't be a sure fire thing.
  33. May 21, 2014
    No, it's not perfect. Yes, it's decent. Don't expect a real reboot or remake: it has some 'modern' input to please the casual gamer (waypointmarkers, 'press X to Y' pop-ups, replenished health, glowing items). On top: the checkpoints can be annoying at higher difficultysettings. Levels are not totally lineair, so that's good. Really: it's an 'ok' game.
  34. May 22, 2014
    Finally a FPS which stays true to form with no gimmicks! Great story, fun shooting and a good length campaign (10 to 12 hours) The game did feel like it was missing something but any FPS fans will enjoy.
  35. May 23, 2014
    Solid 7. As a Wolfenstein game, it is a solid entry.

The Good: IDtech5 is done mostly right and a huge step-up from RAGE. Pop-in for streaming mega-textures mostly eliminated. Environments are pretty gorgeous. Mouse issues have been fixed and input is now accurate and responsive. You get to hop in BJ Blaskowitz's shoes once again and shamelessly reduce Nazi's to bloody smudges.
    Solid 7. As a Wolfenstein game, it is a solid entry.

The So-So: Gameplay is somewhat the +forward barebones affair one might imagine in a Wolfenstein game. The story has some interesting bits early on with Deathshead, but sorta meanders a bit. You kinda forget this is history re-imagined. The environment simply isn't that strange, nor the technology that anachronistic in the fiction of other Wolfenstein games (Lots of far future quasi-magical/supra-technological stuff exists in that universe), let alone 14 years after the intro of the game ('44 I believe) which already featured panzerhounds and giant walking tripods with mounted Tesla coils...but BJ finds a chainsaw 14 years later somewhat alien. So, I see what they were trying to do there, but it just kinda fails to be interesting or new, nor do I believe this 'fish out of water' backstory for BJ. The narrative is chopped up into abbreviated 'quest/dungeon' bits with a bit of excessive, but well executed cut-scenes hiding the load times. I think this is both a failing in the story itself and perhaps a flaw in the idtech5 engine as it so clearly harkens back to RAGE. The illusion of the 'hub world' is pretty transparent and gets a little tedious but I believe is a reference to the previous Wolfenstein reboot.. It's not really needed, but I suppose it breaks up the action and reading the newspaper clippings provides some texture to the world. The hub world is one of the nicer looking environments. The Bad: Linear romp. Literally +forward with pretty basic arenas, kinda clunkily choreographed (though amazing looking) set-pieces, and tons of cut scenes. As we have had two stabs at idtech5/megatexture and they have both turned out similarly, I think I can conclude the problem. It's just impossible to playtest and create/modify interesting environments without demanding the art team really go back to square one. The creation of the mega-texture and the detail is reliant upon a known structure and is apparently time-consuming. The design team can't be playing around with the actual structure too much without setting back the art team by orders of magnitude. Mega-texture also sucks, but it's problems can be alleviated by sequestering narrative into smaller portions/areas/mega-textures (essentially levels) and attempting to hide the loading of levels with cinematics. It comes off as an obvious band-aid though. The laser cutter is mildly annoying too. The devs really want the player to enjoy this tool, but it's just a frustrating distraction. I think it was more exciting for the devs to be able to dynamically manipulate the idtech5 environment (I can get how this feat must have been exciting for the devs), but it isn't really interesting from a gameplay perspective.

Overall: May sound terrible, but it's actually fun and satisfying in it's simplicity...as a Wolfenstein game should be. The narrative meanders a bit early on, but gets back into the swing of things. I dunno that it's worth the 60 bucks as there really isn't anything to return to once the campaign is over (there IS a faux reason intended to provide the illusion of the value of a second run), but it will surely drop a little to a more appropriate price in a couple months and it's a must play.
  36. May 25, 2014
    Why, Bethesda, why? Passing out while driving with Anya and suddenly woke up because of nazi's shouts and STILL driving? As in prison section, u were told "slip past guards to control room" fine, some challenge maybe? No, f*ck You, just open ONE doors and go there, caught by nazi, knifed to the chest by him and roll game over credits? No, f*ck You u will wake up seconds before cremationWhy, Bethesda, why? Passing out while driving with Anya and suddenly woke up because of nazi's shouts and STILL driving? As in prison section, u were told "slip past guards to control room" fine, some challenge maybe? No, f*ck You, just open ONE doors and go there, caught by nazi, knifed to the chest by him and roll game over credits? No, f*ck You u will wake up seconds before cremation and DRAW OUT THE KNIFE FROM CHEST.

Those were only a few examples that bother me, as for enemies in this game, freaking guard with club will just walk towards you and walk and walk nothing more actions. Sure game, I will definitely walk towards him to. And yes, somebody said similarities with F.E.A.R. and yes this is real, nazi troopers are similar to those from F.E.A.R. same with mechs. Again, screw you just play god damn game...

...and I played and it can be good sometimes, shooting is fun, dual-wield shotguns are more fun, some crazy graphical effects(even those bugged out). Overall, it is a nice warmup for some incoming games but cheesness hurts.
  37. Oct 10, 2014
    The game play was refreshing since I actually died many many times on medium difficulty, which is unexpected for an FPS. I have 3 big gripes with this game. 1. The sneaking algorithm is very rudimentary and makes it way too easy. 2. The random spawning of enemies in closed rooms that appear right in front or behind you to kill you instantly. I don't give credit to any FPS that spawns enemyThe game play was refreshing since I actually died many many times on medium difficulty, which is unexpected for an FPS. I have 3 big gripes with this game. 1. The sneaking algorithm is very rudimentary and makes it way too easy. 2. The random spawning of enemies in closed rooms that appear right in front or behind you to kill you instantly. I don't give credit to any FPS that spawns enemy on top of you, this is just lazy developing. 3. The games graphics does not justify the 50gb install size. It looks decent but not 50gb exceptional. Story wise this games is below average for FPS but I don't really care too much for the story.The game play itself was good. I liked the weapons and the combat system but the spawning of enemies in close proximity really soured the experience. The combat AI is pretty competent, one of the better ones I've seen so props to the developer. Expand
  38. May 14, 2016
    Balancing issues, tiny maps that you can still get lost in, no gps/waypoint system (not needed if the maps were better designed), weaponwheel is hard to use because every weapon has dual wield mode in it. It's fun at times but requires continuous difficulty adjusting.
  39. Mar 1, 2017
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. love the gameplay and the story of the game very much and only for those two things I would advice you to buy this game however i do have some negatives I want to discuss.

- first of all the performance is sub par. on a setup that can handle alien Isolation, metal gear solid v and many more games on 100+ fps and at places in WTNO i drop to 33 is rediculous! you can unlock the fps if you put in a command but that **** up all the in game cutscenes and voice over so not really recommended.
    - secondly the story is way to short for the price they ask for it. I clocked in at 10 hours on normal difficulty looking at every little details in the game. (granted there is a alternative timeline you can choose but that only changes like 5% of the game...... (not worth it at full price)
    - and the ending is just a waste of good potential.... the boss battle was way to easy and the payoff was **** (really a shame)

a solid 7 from me!
  40. Nov 11, 2014
    Gameplay (of 10) : 7
    Story (of 10) : 7
    Graphic (of 10) : 8
    Sound (of 10) : 7

Total : 7.2 / 10

Total score is weighted average of four factors, respectively Gameplay, Story, Graphic, Sound.
  41. Jan 1, 2015
    To paraphrase Mitch Hedberg, [this game is like pancakes, all exciting at first, but by the end you're sick of it].

W:TNO starts out giving the player choices between gun-play and stealth, but the stealth gets phased out as the game progresses. The last 3 missions of the game had only 1 stealth moment between them. The gun-play is put together well and all of the weapons have a satisfying heft, but around the 7th mission the game just becomes of a slog of rooms and corridors filled with Nazis and few to no options on how to kill them. Just mow them down with a huge gun and some explosives. I wasn't expecting Hitman: Blood Money, but I did want a little more variety.

Then there are the cut-scenes. I understand that storytelling has become integral to big budget games, but wrecking the game play and pacing in service of the story misses the point of what a video game. It's an interactive medium, we do not want to simply sit and watch. In W:TNO, all too often control is wrenched away from the player so a Nazi can subdue them to advance the plot. Sure, I just stabbed 10 healthy young Nazis to death, but in this cut scene an old man will beat me up. Running around with two shotguns is a power fantasy, and these cut-scenes are like a bucket of ice-water on my good time.

W:TNO has some really fun parts, however the game becomes more generic the further you get into it. The first half felt like Far Cry 3, the second half felt like COD, and the amount of cut-scene defeats is unforgivable.
  42. Dec 1, 2015
    Game is OK bt nothing more and disappointing ending boss and ending. . .
    . .
  43. May 15, 2016
    Wolfesntein: The New Order, cumple en su jugabilidad, estilo retro en el que podrás subir tu vida momentaneamente en los combates, podrás encontrar blindaje, te enfrentarás a multitudes de nazis y que debes mantenerte en movimiento ya que los tipos tienen una buena puntería, en resumen debes de poner de tu parte para poder pasar las oleadas, no es solo disparar y cubrirse, eso es un puntoWolfesntein: The New Order, cumple en su jugabilidad, estilo retro en el que podrás subir tu vida momentaneamente en los combates, podrás encontrar blindaje, te enfrentarás a multitudes de nazis y que debes mantenerte en movimiento ya que los tipos tienen una buena puntería, en resumen debes de poner de tu parte para poder pasar las oleadas, no es solo disparar y cubrirse, eso es un punto favorable.
    Las armas están bien, dan buena sensación al jugador.
    Hay muchas partes donde serán "zonas de sigilo", pero aquí realmente es muy facil no tiene ninguna complicación, una difcultad mínima en ese aspecto.
    La música mmm ni la recuerdo , excepto en unas 2 partes que dije, wow, esta música está muy bien, pero no es memorable.

Ahora voy por los puntos que más me desagradaron:
    Que desperdicio de Historia, al principio promete, esa sensación de saber que estás en lso 60 y ganaron los nazis como que da toda una mística que rápidamente se pierde. A lo que voy es que estás en un foco, no se sabe más detalle nada, solo es destruyamos bases nazis y robemosles sus cosas. Pudieron haber construido una ucronía mucho más rica.
    Además el mundo no te convence, o sea no ves ni un civil normal nunca, o son todos nazis o es tu pequeño grupo de rebeldes.
    Uno esperaría más referencias a Hitler, creo que lo mencionan una vez en TODO el juego.
    Otro aspecto que no me gustó fue el argumento para justificar la tecnología nazi, ese grupo de ingenieros magos, pff, o sea , es magia simplemente porque no tiene explicación de nada, simplemente debieron dejarlo en el misterio y asumir que los nazis habían avanzado mucho tecnologícamente y punto.
    Y otras cosas que no tienen mucho sentido (AVISO DE SPOILER) YA, OK, acepto que tenga que ir a la Luna, pero primero, si los Nazis ya deberían haber sabido hace rato, que estaban sufriendo atentados, y que solo recíen habían matado a unos de los oficiales que iriían al espacio, como rayos no tenían un mejor control, dejan subirse a este prota que nadie nunca ha visto y dicen, ohh hola señor subase que lo llevamos a la luna. Y ya en la luna, cuantos soldados maté? unos 50 quizás, quieren que me crea que en una base lunar, donde solo pueden llegar un reducido grupo de nazis, vayan a necesitar tanto personal militar para proteger que? y por que el prota se remueve el tatuaje en la luna? eso fue totalmente innecesario.
    Y cuando la base rebelde es atacada en Berlin, si estás en Londres, y tu transporte es un auto, como rayos llegas a berlin y los nazis siguen ahi asaltando la base, como si solo se demorase unos 10 min en llegar. (FIN DE SPOILER)
    Los personajes son poco atractivos la verdad no me encariñe con ninguno, quizás con la enfermera porque ella sabía lo que quería ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°).
    El juego es super lineal y te llevan de un lugar a otro, solo la base podrás volver un par de veces, hubiera sido mucho mejor tener todo Berlín para conocer y destruir , no?

En fin, el juego está bien a nivel jugable, si eres fan de matar nazis , te gustará, pero veo mucho potencial desperdiciado.
    Lo recomiendo en oferta y si te gusta este estilo de arcade shooter.

6.5/10
  44. Nov 30, 2015
    In this game you can expect:

THE GOOD - Weapons that are pretty fun. Also dual-wielding shotguns and assault rifles... - Moon nazis. - Occasional moments of brilliance (e.g. night train scene). - Wolfenstein 3D easter egg. THE MIXED - Collectibles and perks that feel really out of place and are often useless. - Linear corridor shooter gameplay - basically a CoD
    In this game you can expect:

THE GOOD

- Moon nazis.

- Occasional moments of brilliance (e.g. night train scene).

- Wolfenstein 3D easter egg.

THE MIXED

- Collectibles and perks that feel really out of place and are often useless.

- Linear corridor shooter gameplay - basically a CoD clone with nazis.

- Quicktime events.

- The difficulty setting translates into gameplay experience like this: very very easy -> very easy - > easy -> shotgun-nazis-more-powerful-than-bosses

THE BAD

- Silly, ridiculous narrative which is totally unbelievable. It would have been fine if the authors had presented it as such. Unfortunately the game takes itself too seriously.

- A lot of cutscenes, including a totally unneeded and pointless love subplot with a sex scene.

- Crappy close-up textures and vegetation, courtesy of idTech 5 engine. Devs tried to hide it with film grain effect and a ton of lens flares. Unsuccessfully.

- Stealth system & AI is beyond atrocious (AIs don't even flinch when they find their killed comrades).

- Throwing a knife into a Nazi's palm insta-kills him even though he can otherwise take multiple shotgun blasts.

- You lose your weapons after every mission.

Tl;DR: If you like this kind of games, grab it while it's on sale. Otherwise you are not missing out on much.
  45. Aug 14, 2017
    Solid gameplay, dual-wielding sniper rifles, assault rifles and shotguns make this game difficult to comprehend in terms of realism, but absolutely FUN. The art style is very good and the gore is there. I like the game. My biggest issue with it is that the story doesn't make much intellectual sense. The Nazis looks really tough and advanced but they fail at every turn to show any mentalSolid gameplay, dual-wielding sniper rifles, assault rifles and shotguns make this game difficult to comprehend in terms of realism, but absolutely FUN. The art style is very good and the gore is there. I like the game. My biggest issue with it is that the story doesn't make much intellectual sense. The Nazis looks really tough and advanced but they fail at every turn to show any mental effort to fight back against the protagonists. They look evil, but they are always outsmarted, always defeated and always left behind the dust. To me, it is inconceivable that they won WWII but be this dummb afterwards, as the game really did build them up to be fearsome and intelligent enemies at the start. I don't like games that make the antagonists immensely stupid (but technologically advanced which is kind of ironic) just so the protagonists can very easily win. The "Nightmare" sections of the game give a solid throwback to the earlier games, which is just such so appreciated. Eitherway, Wolfenstein the New Order gets it right with many aspects and I recommend it. Just turn your brain off while playing it and you will have a great time. Expand
  46. Jul 11, 2015
    50Gb download for a game that doesn't look as good as Crysis 3 is a bit steep. The game itself is alright but some of the design decisions leave a bit to be desired.

The open world and decision making feel pointless in this game and instead of a tightly scripted shooter like RTCW it is a bit more like the previous wolfenstien release. Every time you go on a mission you leave all your

Every time you go on a mission you leave all your weapons at home?! The home base characters aren't interesting and the game would have been better without the base sections or it being reduced to cut scenes.
  47. sft
    Aug 3, 2015
    Die bewegten 60ern

Die bewegten 60ern

This review has troubled me more than most as I’m still trying to decide exactly how I feel about WOLFENSTEIN: THE NEW ORDER. There’s much to like here. Visually, the game is impressive, the combat is fun and quite challenging on the higher difficulties, and the story, although a little cheesy, and not a match for such franchises as BioShock or Half-Life, is pretty good. And the voice acting is solid throughout. There are also some impressive cut-scenes and very enjoyable set-pieces. Despite all this, however, the overall lasting impression of the game is that it somehow falls a little flat. Perhaps it’s the fact that there are so many cutscenes where control is suddenly wrenched away from the player (I like a good cutscene as much as the next gamer and they are necessary to flesh-out a full story, but here there are so many of them it sometimes disturbs the rhythm of the game). Or maybe it’s the rail-like, linear nature of the game and the lack of variety in the environments. Or it might be the fact that, although the game tries to offer a mix of stealth and run-and-gun it really only gets the latter right. Or maybe it’s just me. It’s true to say the same can be said about many good games and it would be unfair to criticise WTNO too much for having these traits. But at the end of the day, although I enjoyed WTNO, and will stick with the franchise, I’m left with mixed feelings about the overall experience. Oh, and it’s yet another game with no quick save, which is annoying.
  48. Jun 3, 2014
    Truly a very fun game with an interesting "what if" plot. Great selection of weapons, varied bosses, strategic and fast paced game-play - this has everything you could expect from a top drawer shooter. I would give it a 10 if it wasn't for the screen tearing/texture issue and the fact the graphics are lets be honest, pretty horrible. I think Crysis had better textures and that was releasedTruly a very fun game with an interesting "what if" plot. Great selection of weapons, varied bosses, strategic and fast paced game-play - this has everything you could expect from a top drawer shooter. I would give it a 10 if it wasn't for the screen tearing/texture issue and the fact the graphics are lets be honest, pretty horrible. I think Crysis had better textures and that was released in 2007. Expand
  49. May 30, 2014
    Neat old-school shooter with smooth, responsive overall gameplay, maintaining a pleasant level of simplicity, preventing from turning the game into a first person pseudo-rpg with an over extensive palette of skills and weaponry. The optional stealth passages are refreshing. Armored enemies appear disproportionally strong at times (at least on the highest difficulty). GraphicallyNeat old-school shooter with smooth, responsive overall gameplay, maintaining a pleasant level of simplicity, preventing from turning the game into a first person pseudo-rpg with an over extensive palette of skills and weaponry. The optional stealth passages are refreshing. Armored enemies appear disproportionally strong at times (at least on the highest difficulty). Graphically impressive, though not ground breaking, with occasional, minor issues (PC version, ultra settings).
    Story wise the game doesn't live up to it's potential. Even though it tries to cover sensitive topics on often ethical nature, and give the player more insight in the individual characters story, mindset and subtly reinforce the atmospheric density through environment, dialogues and key scenes, it doesn't take enough time to go deep enough into detail, feels rushed and loses its magic. The game takes itself too serious, its story is predictable and the characters lack depth and further interaction options (which is disappointing because there is potential, with often times the initial steps being done, though not executed consequently enough). More dialogues between missions etc. would have been great. Some moments feel atmospheric and more dense, others feel soulless and generic. It'd have definitely profited from a prioritized focus on the story. (The voice acting is actually pretty good.) ; The protagonist is the usually, dull, stereotypical, manly bulldog and the love story within the plot drowns in the irrelevance of its own averageness, but that's sadly to be expected anyway.
    All in all Wolfenstein: The New Order is a solid, arcade-like shooter within an interesting setting. Less thought provoking than it is entertaining but quite worth a playthrough. ; (Also, the initial censorship problems in German speaking countries, are an unnecessary joke and a serious pain in the neck.)
  50. Jun 27, 2016
    I finished Old Blood a couple of days ago and enjoyed it very much even though it was extremely short, but looking back I actually preferred the shorter length as it meant action, action, action 100% of the time with very little story, whereas The New Order has a lot of story and what I'd consider unnecessary filler content, I think at one point I went over an hour without shooting aI finished Old Blood a couple of days ago and enjoyed it very much even though it was extremely short, but looking back I actually preferred the shorter length as it meant action, action, action 100% of the time with very little story, whereas The New Order has a lot of story and what I'd consider unnecessary filler content, I think at one point I went over an hour without shooting a single Nazi which I didn't enjoy. The game would have been a lot better with a bit of the fluff removed IMO. That being said the game is fun, the gunplay is great and I enjoyed it and would recommend it. It's one of the best FPS campaigns in many years, but if you're expecting balls to the wall action like in Doom you may want to lower your expectations a little, especially when it comes to TNO, OB is definitely more action packed though. Expand
  51. Jun 26, 2015
    So just finished the game. The things Wolfenstein does right gun play, atmosphere and difficulty. Never did i find the game to easy or too hard, the 2 missions where hard but i played on Uber difficulty (hard). another thing i loved is the feeling of the world being completely **** Its has a very post-apocalyptic feeling. I'm happy the developers decided to only focus on singleSo just finished the game. The things Wolfenstein does right gun play, atmosphere and difficulty. Never did i find the game to easy or too hard, the 2 missions where hard but i played on Uber difficulty (hard). another thing i loved is the feeling of the world being completely **** Its has a very post-apocalyptic feeling. I'm happy the developers decided to only focus on single player. You don't have to worry about some half ass multiplayer. Instead you get a strong single player that is definitely worth 2 playthroughs.

now the stuff i didnt like so much. The characters were really typical and seemed to not have much character. Max hass and bombate are the biggest offenders. I dont understand how the games story was praised? yes the setting is great but the game had so many plot holes and stupid moments where, oh its hard to do this without spoilers but you know what im talking about if you've played it. Moments where your like "how did he not see that?!?" or "how the hell does that even work?" i guess im being to cynical and should just like the story and forget the plot holes and stupid choices the character makes. Okay i cant write this review without spoiling the game ill do another but just buy the game its worth it. i want to keep this review spoiler free, because spoiling something in a review doesnt make it much of a review for the propose its made: to get people interested or not interested
  52. Nov 8, 2014
    The story is mediocre, I guess the storytellers made more of an effort in creating huge special effects than actual good story elements. There are 'multiple' story lines, namely two. I only played Wyatt's line, possibly the other one is better, but it would surprise me. A big miss is that characters are underdeveloped, especially the main character, and violence and revenge seem to beThe story is mediocre, I guess the storytellers made more of an effort in creating huge special effects than actual good story elements. There are 'multiple' story lines, namely two. I only played Wyatt's line, possibly the other one is better, but it would surprise me. A big miss is that characters are underdeveloped, especially the main character, and violence and revenge seem to be important and singular motives. Killing more Nazi's is always better. Killing them in a superfluously brutal way is even better.

The atmosphere is also mediocre. In general a game asks me to set the brightness at the first start, which is extremely important to create the atmosphere. This game didn't, in my case the setting was too bright by default. In stealth, enemies were unable to see me, while I was standing rather close in the light. There is a brightness slider, but it does not suggest what it should be in the "choose the lowest value such that you can barely see the square"-way.

Finally, I was extremely annoyed by how the important Nazi's/Aryans were looking, namely "ugly and wrinkly", where the heroes looked significantly 'more handsome'. I guess this is in line with the genre, but it does create the image that ugly people are positively correlated to evil, whereas heroes are handsome. I think this stereotype is offensive and in my opinion is comparably wrong as is sexism and racism, although it is probably not intended as such.

To finish with some positive remarks: the first chapter was pretty nice, and promised an touching plot; it introduced a kind of 'brotherhood' between several resistance soldiers. A second thing is that some of the 'good guys' were German; beating a stereotype. I enjoyed the graphics. The game did not have hard parts where one would be stuck for an annoying amount of time, but I did play the game in the easiest mode as I dislike wasting time on frivolous things.

Due to lack of story, I put this game below Tomb Raider, FEAR, Half-life, I am alive and Metro. Ironically, I bought all of them for at most 10 euro each, where I spend 25 on Wolfenstein TNO.

PS: the game requires 50 GB of disk space, which is a lot for the 10-20 hours of play :)
  53. Dec 1, 2014
    I give this game a 6.

Nothing new or groundbreaking when it comes to a FPS. Decent graphics, good gunplay, okay AI. I really didn't like the battery powered gun that had to be charged up at wall stations. Really disliked the missions that wanted me to look around for items in the resistance base, really slowed down the game play for me. The story started out strong but soon got
    I give this game a 6.

The story started out strong but soon got uninteresting.

It took me 8 hours to complete on the default difficulty setting. If you are good at FPS games you may want to go to a more difficult setting.

This is no Wolf3D or Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
  54. Dec 24, 2016
    Wolfenstein TNO is a decent shooter with high production values, good voice acting and good story overall with an emphasis on the human side of Blaskowitz.
    However, half of the playtime consists of boring puzzles where you either cut a fence or shoot a chain to proceed and intermissions where you just run around the resistance base in order to search for random objects or talk to people.
    The action picks off only by the 10th chapter and from this point on until the ending the game is pretty good. If the whole game would be like these last 7 chapters i would easily rate it an 8/10 because the gun-play is fun, the enemies are challenging and the soundtrack is awesome.
    This is not a 3/10 game but definitely not a 10/10 one.
  55. Dec 1, 2015
    I enjoyed this game for what it was, but it does have quite a few shortcomings. Played on max difficulty which wasn't as difficult as you might expect. Going through stealthy is pretty much required in order to get all the special items (gold, enigma codes, etc), however it really distracts from what the game really should be. Hidden health upgrades (+10 permanent health) are worth it,I enjoyed this game for what it was, but it does have quite a few shortcomings. Played on max difficulty which wasn't as difficult as you might expect. Going through stealthy is pretty much required in order to get all the special items (gold, enigma codes, etc), however it really distracts from what the game really should be. Hidden health upgrades (+10 permanent health) are worth it, but not required since there's a ton of health packs which can "overcharge" your health quite high.

Speaking of stealth, the AI is rather bad. I feel that stealth sections are broken due to this. There's no reason to use your knife to kill silently when you have a silenced pistol that kills practically any enemy with a head shot with sniper-rifle accuracy... and no one cares even if there's another enemy looking directly at the guy you just lobotomized. You can't move bodies out of sight, but that doesn't matter since enemies walk right over their dead comrades without care. It's not fun... there's no challenge at all. I would rather there not have been a stealth option, but I guess they had to shoehorn it in there. The most enjoyable way to play is with guns blazing. At least then there's a challenge due to the endless hordes of Nazis that swarm you (until you kill the officers... which seems a little odd that the swarms stop when you kill them). When you do get into a gunfight with them, they don't try to flank, and very rarely or effectively use grenades. Rush you, stand in the open, or hide behind a crate... that's about it.

The game looks great, feels great (thanks ID)... controls seem good, though I kept forgetting what number my weapons were. 2 is usually your pistol, but here it's your grenades. These are minor of course - you can change your mappings, and I was using the mouse wheel most of the time to change my weapons. Picking up items is kind of a chore, as you have to manually pick up every item you want, and sometimes it's difficult to get something under a body / bodies. I really dislike turret sections of FPSs, and the first combat you get into is a turret section... and the second, too. They did add some interesting areas to explore, and I love the gothic-style architecture that's been a mainstay in Wolfenstein (wish there was more, though). Enemies are well designed, and look different based on the environment you find them in.

Your weapons are pretty basic fare, with maybe one exception which is underpowered, in my opinion, for what it is (the sound of it is underwhelming, too). Battery charged weapons are a pain to use due to very low capacity, but there are charging stations everywhere to compensate - why not less charging with more ammo... it breaks the flow of the game. Dual-wielding is done right. I found myself using the assault rifle(s) the most throughout game, with the silenced pistol for specific stealth, due to their accuracy. You don't get a sniper rifle often, but there's barely a reason to use it when you have a super accurate assault rifle that's almost as strong. Shotguns, while they do feel like they're powerful, are worthless even when dual-wielding.

One last thing. I hate Nazis as much as the next guy, but these particular Nazis take evil to a new level. There are no redeeming qualities to them in any way, which I wasn't really fond of. It's truly a black-and-white good vs (pure) evil kind of thing. The game forces you to feel no sympathy for them in any way shape or form... I just felt it was quite a bit heavy handed in its approach.

I've been debating in my head between a 6 and a 7 for this game, but ultimately enjoyed it enough for a 7. Good for a single play-through, but I probably won't be picking it up again.
  56. Apr 20, 2016
    This is the best game of 2014 with WWE 2K15 and Watch Dogs . Wolfenstein The New Order worse than Wolfenstein because Wolfenstein The New Order is harder than Wolfenstein . Wolfenstein The New Order best war game of 2014 . Wolfenstein The New Order better than COD Advanced Warfare . In Wolfenstein amazing storyline , good gameplay and awesome graphics . 7/10
  57. May 9, 2017
    (Single player only review)
    Story: 4
    Gameplay: 5
    Characters: 6
    World: 5
    Graphics: 7
    Optimization: 6
    Value: Not worth original price ($60)
    Art direction: 2
    Enjoyment: 3
    Overall: 5

1. Aug 6, 2014
    A great reimagining of the series, delivering a fun experience to shooter fans, while bringing a good story and some solid mechanics that feel fresh but still know the roots of the franchise.
  2. CD-Action
    Jul 25, 2014
    The only thing in the new Wolfenstein that turned out really well is music. Shooting is decent and some weapons give proper sense of power, but developers failed to build an interesting game on these foundations. It has some good moments but none of them lasts long enough to be satisfying. Plus the writing is terrible and the way the game constantly forces all that ‘war is evil!’ preaching and Blazkowicz’s moral dilemmas down your throat is ridiculous. I actually couldn’t decide whether the game is being serious or not. [07/2014, p.56]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jul 8, 2014
    If you've enjoyed shooters of old, you'll love how freshly packaged this one is.