Wolfenstein PC

7.2

1. funkymarlon
    Nov 1, 2009
    Shooting Nazis is great! But from the POV of a bubble head it's really freaking annoying. Very much a lack-luster in graphics and sound.
  2. CB
    Oct 1, 2009
    Considering how much RTCW raised the bar in terms of a FPS experience, this game fails to meet the expectations I had for this franchise in many ways. First is Gameplay, it is bad for a few reasons. The game trains you early on to look for weak spots on enemies and objects, it highlights these weak spots in red, however, later on in the game, these red weak spots are used only some of the Considering how much RTCW raised the bar in terms of a FPS experience, this game fails to meet the expectations I had for this franchise in many ways. First is Gameplay, it is bad for a few reasons. The game trains you early on to look for weak spots on enemies and objects, it highlights these weak spots in red, however, later on in the game, these red weak spots are used only some of the time, leaving you wondering how to complete a mission or reach an objective, or kill a boss. You will die many needless deaths because of this. The AI in this game is just awful, enemies will throw gernades and then run into them, you can shoot people's heads off, but if they fall off a ledge they will scream with no head. You can shoot enemies that are no aware of you yet with a sniper rifle and they will continue to walk like nothing happened. In terms of strategy simply wait in a corner and any grunts you alerted will eventually walk in front of you making for an easy kill, if they don't blow themselves up first. Graphics do the job, they look the part, the veil world is a nice touch but the entire open world setting could have been dropped in favor of cut scenes like the original. The open world ends up becoming a pain later on in the game once you're weapons are upgraded, you will simply switch to the veil world just to run fast through the maps. Sound will react dynamically to the action on the screen, however, it's buggy, many times it will continue to play the suspenseful music while nothing is happening simply because 1 gaurd is lost on the map trying to find you. The weapon upgrade ability is a cool feature, however if you miss a gold bag/bar while playing a mission, you can't go back to that mission to replay it, so if you miss any secrets or gold it's gone until you play again. The game is decent, but not what you would expect from a AAA title especially considering that its wolfenstein, it's worth playing, but only as a rental or a year from now when it's $20 used at the game store. Expand
  3. s60
    Dec 23, 2010
    To start off with the DRM is very picky about whether it will run or not, took a while to get it to just be able to run, this game was not nearly as fun as the original wolfenstein, the missions were ok but to get to each you have to go through the main town killing the enemies there which I am certain exist solely for the purpose of making the game take longer so they could say the gameTo start off with the DRM is very picky about whether it will run or not, took a while to get it to just be able to run, this game was not nearly as fun as the original wolfenstein, the missions were ok but to get to each you have to go through the main town killing the enemies there which I am certain exist solely for the purpose of making the game take longer so they could say the game length was longer, it does not add anything to the gameplay, if the town section was removed it would be a pretty decent game Expand
  4. Sep 15, 2010
    This game is painfully mediocre. The graphics are ok, but pretty far away from what you get from the Modern Warfare games (even the first part); the gameplay is lacking. Don't get me wrong, you most likely will finish tte game, you'll even enjoy it more often than not. But the fact remains that when compared to Return to Castle Wolfenstein this game seems to lack ambition. I also reallyThis game is painfully mediocre. The graphics are ok, but pretty far away from what you get from the Modern Warfare games (even the first part); the gameplay is lacking. Don't get me wrong, you most likely will finish tte game, you'll even enjoy it more often than not. But the fact remains that when compared to Return to Castle Wolfenstein this game seems to lack ambition. I also really missed the feel and atmosphere of the previous installment. Expand
  5. Mar 12, 2012
    i bought this game very cheap and thankfully didnt waste 60 dollars when it came out because this game isnt worth that much.the game starts of in call of duty fashion but after 20 minutes i realized that i was running in the same town.for few missions there is a truck which will carry you to mission location andafter job is done you will come back in town again.the gameplay is very uniquei bought this game very cheap and thankfully didnt waste 60 dollars when it came out because this game isnt worth that much.the game starts of in call of duty fashion but after 20 minutes i realized that i was running in the same town.for few missions there is a truck which will carry you to mission location andafter job is done you will come back in town again.the gameplay is very unique and well done but there is a serious lack of variety in enemies.i bought this game finished it next day and sold it the same day.if you searching for endless shooting then buy this. Expand
  6. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is pure old school gaming with new graphics, it does it well and it works, it is set in WWII to expect to be killing tons of Nazi's, nice old WWII weapons with some Sci-fi built in which also works well, this game may not be worth $19.99 but if you can get it for 10 or less go for it.
  7. Apr 23, 2011
    The graphics are better than the last, but the game play lacks something, yet I can't describe it, but it's just not as good as the original RTCW.... I believe game designers simply do not put enough time and quality into games anymore, so what tends to happen is that the graphics/features are 'taking-over' the overall 'fun-ness' of games.
  8. JackB
    Aug 20, 2009
    Nice game although it does use an outdated graphics engine (Doom 3 engine) but it scales well on older pc's and looks nice on the newest hardware. The game it's self is more or less like Call of Duty 4 in my mind (Same navigation system) and same play-style . I am yet to try multiplayer but i doubt it has much so offer if you compare it to COD4, but you never know! Single player Nice game although it does use an outdated graphics engine (Doom 3 engine) but it scales well on older pc's and looks nice on the newest hardware. The game it's self is more or less like Call of Duty 4 in my mind (Same navigation system) and same play-style . I am yet to try multiplayer but i doubt it has much so offer if you compare it to COD4, but you never know! Single player thus far i have enjoyed the game it was what i expected, a quick fund raiser for the companys involved. Is is worth yout time and money? I would say YES but dont expect to get more than a few months out of this game. 7/10 P.S Killing Nazis is always a pleasure, enjoy the game people! Expand
  9. AlexTheDude
    Oct 2, 2009
    I have to say that I have learned to respect this website, pooling of all the reviews does give you a pretty accurate picture of what to expect before buying a game
  10. ZsomborB.
    Aug 22, 2009
    I feel a bit disappointed, since by popularizing the FPS genre, I always have high expectations towards Wolfenstein games. Altough this one has some exciting moments, It doesn't really shine in the vast sea of FPS games. The problem with the concept is the same as in Crysis: without the graphics and superpowers its just a generic shooter. But I think giving more attention to the I feel a bit disappointed, since by popularizing the FPS genre, I always have high expectations towards Wolfenstein games. Altough this one has some exciting moments, It doesn't really shine in the vast sea of FPS games. The problem with the concept is the same as in Crysis: without the graphics and superpowers its just a generic shooter. But I think giving more attention to the storyline was a good decision, and the game is still entertaining to an extent, I won't normally recommend it to everyone. Expand
  11. jamie
    Aug 24, 2009
    It's not bad. But it's not great either. Here we have yet another WW2 shooter - with a twist: occult powers!! Could they BE any less imaginative? The fact that they thought of it first with the original Wolfenstein doesn't change things: It's been done to death. It's not new, it's not interesting,and it changes the whole feel of the game into something It's not bad. But it's not great either. Here we have yet another WW2 shooter - with a twist: occult powers!! Could they BE any less imaginative? The fact that they thought of it first with the original Wolfenstein doesn't change things: It's been done to death. It's not new, it's not interesting,and it changes the whole feel of the game into something cartoony and ludicrous. When you see nazis floating in the air ... how are you supposed to take this seriously? Also, the whole health thing is just no good. Got shot? Bleeding to death? Headshot AND gutshot at the same time? no problem ... hide behind a pillar for about 10 seconds and you're perfectly healthy again.. So.. why be afraid of being shot? Or dying? Why hide or sneak? Why be careful? Why not just run around like a headless chicken and shoot the sh*t out of everything? Id, you've got to change this. All tension and care is gone. It's hard to take anything seriously - and very soon after that it's hard to care about the game. Get rid of the instant health recovery. Stop clowning about with floating nazis and silly occult powers. The graphics, while dated, ARE really nice for the engine and run well even on older machines. You guys CAN code - you just can't make a decent game without clowning around. Why don't you grow up? Expand
  12. JohnT
    Oct 22, 2009
    I've just completed wolfenstein single player and it's a great game. I rated it 7/10. If you loved Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2, Jedi Outcast & Jedi Academy and Quake 4, you will love this one (I gave these games 7-10/10 ratings). The only thing that bothered me is this: before you start your next mission, you have to walk through this open ended town towards the next mission. It I've just completed wolfenstein single player and it's a great game. I rated it 7/10. If you loved Soldier of Fortune 1 & 2, Jedi Outcast & Jedi Academy and Quake 4, you will love this one (I gave these games 7-10/10 ratings). The only thing that bothered me is this: before you start your next mission, you have to walk through this open ended town towards the next mission. It becomes irritating after a while. They should have removed this feature. The main character is one of the coolest game characters I have seen. The cutscenes and the story in them is very well done. The boss battles are awesome, and the gameplay is fun. As for the multiplayer, I don't play multiplayer. Expand
  13. GeorgeG
    Aug 24, 2009
    An ok game to the franchise. Like the comments before me, i have to agree, its playable with mediocre graphics, average storyline and a multiplayer that really doesn't offer anything revolutionary, just typical deathmatches and the such. Get it to kill some time before summer's over.
  14. May 20, 2014
    Fun enough shooter, but nothing special really. If you just want to blast some Nazis you're going to have a good time. But it lacks a bit of the character the other games had.
  15. Oct 12, 2011
    This game was OK. I really liked the physics and especially the attention to detail with level design which was very good. It's worth a run through and should keep you busy for quite some time.

I could see this as much much more though, I didn't all like the supernatural side of things but it was alright I guess.. I like the fact that it was different... I hadn't played anything similar really.
    I finished it on hard.... there were only a few parts that actually challenged me... the storyline was average but unique.. overall it's still worth playing. the end.
  16. IRT
    Oct 13, 2011
    System Specs:
    GFX: HD6970
    CPU: i52500 Audio: X-fi Titanium Game : Wolfenstein................................. Graphics: Great, good level design and attention to detail................................. Storyline: Average, didn't follow the storyline at times................................. Game-play: Very good, lots of
    System Specs:
    GFX: HD6970
    CPU: i52500
    Audio: X-fi Titanium
    Game : Wolfenstein................................. Graphics: Great, good level design and attention to detail................................. Storyline: Average, didn't follow the storyline at times................................. Game-play: Very good, lots of re-play................................. Difficulty: Easy, game was finished on hard though only some parts were challenging................................. Sound: Good, guns sound great................................. This game was OK. I really liked the physics and especially the attention to detail with level design which was very good. It's still worth a run through and should keep you busy for quite some time. I could see this as much much more though, I didn't all like the supernatural side of things but it was different to most other fps titles.
  17. Aug 14, 2013
    I actually bought this game when it first came out, but only just got round to playing it properly (inspired by the forthcoming sequel). When I started it up I remembered why I didn't get very far the first time round. The movement is clunky, the FOV too low, the speed too slow, the hints are annoying as are the objective markers. Fortunately, since a long time has passed since its debut aI actually bought this game when it first came out, but only just got round to playing it properly (inspired by the forthcoming sequel). When I started it up I remembered why I didn't get very far the first time round. The movement is clunky, the FOV too low, the speed too slow, the hints are annoying as are the objective markers. Fortunately, since a long time has passed since its debut a few mods have been released in the meantime, one of which is called NeuroWolf and addresses all the issues I had with the core gameplay mechanics.
    With NeuroWolf installed the game becomes FUN. Although, having said that, it still takes a while to get moving and it only really hits its stride about halfway through.
    The best parts of the game are the assaults on the Nazi bases, rather than the parts set in Isenstadt, and once you have all the Thule crystals you can really play around with your attacks. The additional weapons are ok, but I stuck to the MP40 for most of the game, barely touching the rocket launcher or Tesla gun, and saved most of the other weapons for the bosses.
    Overall, a fun game, mired by poor console mechanics on the PC. If this game had originally been developed for the PC, like the original Wolfenstein games, instead of being an obvious console-port, it would have been far superior.
  18. Dec 19, 2013
    After playing through the game (and I didn't have to force myself to beat it like some modern day sequels that end in 3), I can say that this game is getting really unfairly bashed by many people, and I honestly am unsure why. It's not the best, but it was by no means a bad game.

Story: 6 Just above average, many holes or "just roll with it" moments. Not the worst plot ever, though

Story: 6
    Just above average, many holes or "just roll with it" moments. Not the worst plot ever, though overdone.

Graphics/Audio: 6-8
    Im honestly not sure how to rate this, as I cant vividly remember what other games of the time looked like, however even compared to today I don't find the graphics to be bad. Audio reached its pinnacle already, at least to people like me who aren't audiophiles, and this game has decent audio selection while being on par in recording quality.

Gameplay: 8
    Other than the roller coaster of a difficulty curve, enemies with impenetrable shields in narrow hallways in the second mission when shield penetration is the last power you get, I actually somewhat enjoyed this aspect of the game.
    On the hardest difficulty, it takes about as many bullets to kill you as it takes to kill an enemy, so you don't feel like some god of a human, until you get powers that is, but that's good because it feels powerful then, not just like an added bonus to your gallery of over powered stuff.
    Nice reaction animations of enemies, neck shots actually have appropriate animations as opposed to head shots, however the ai for grunts as a whole is stupid, and only super powered enemies possess the self preservation needed to so much as evade a grenade at their feet they are fully aware of.

Overall: 7
    If you ever find it on sale somewhere(I believe steam has pulled it down now due to some sort of multiplayer failure) it isn't a bad game to burn through in a weekend. Is it memorable or "required playing"? Not really, but its fun enough, and that's really all I ask of a FPS these days.
  19. Dec 10, 2011
    I am a Mac gamer and in 2011 I STILL play Return to Castle Wolfenstein and love it! Thus when I finally gave up waiting for a Mac version of Wolfenstein to be released, I bought the PC version and loaded it on BootCamp. First of all... the game plays great via BootCamp. As the game opened, I thought to myself that it was well on the way to being as much of a classic as RTCW. But alasI am a Mac gamer and in 2011 I STILL play Return to Castle Wolfenstein and love it! Thus when I finally gave up waiting for a Mac version of Wolfenstein to be released, I bought the PC version and loaded it on BootCamp. First of all... the game plays great via BootCamp. As the game opened, I thought to myself that it was well on the way to being as much of a classic as RTCW. But alas the game never quite makes it. It looks good, and the play was smooth, but that is best I can say. Unlike RTCW, the storyline of Wolfenstein never "creeped me out". The side missions seemed a waste of BJ's time and effort. The NCPs were wooden and only served to point out how fake BJ's over all mission seemed to be. In my mind this game went a long way in convincing me that the old fashion "linear game" model has merit. Don't get me wrong... the game is challenging and I was happy to play all the way through (even though the last chapter is very silly), it was nothing more than a run of the mill FPS. The game never captured my imagination. I vacillated on what score to give the game. End the end, I had to give it a 7 (the edge of positive) simply for the sake of an old mutual friend... RTCW. 12 years after RTCW, it still holds up as a great came... I doubt I will be able to say the same about Wolfenstein in 12 years. Expand
  20. Mar 29, 2012
    If you loved rtcw and want pretty much the same game again this is for you. I personally get chills hearing the old wolfenstein music but this game does have some flaws. The AI hasn't improved much over rtcw, some of the textures are really muddy and poor while others are fantastic. The story and environment do not live up to the standard of rtcw but it does fit well into the universeIf you loved rtcw and want pretty much the same game again this is for you. I personally get chills hearing the old wolfenstein music but this game does have some flaws. The AI hasn't improved much over rtcw, some of the textures are really muddy and poor while others are fantastic. The story and environment do not live up to the standard of rtcw but it does fit well into the universe and its a great Indiana Jones style adventure. The voice acting could have been better with enemies and I felt the ending was a bit abrupt, but the game is totally work picking up on sale. I just wouldn't pay full price for this one. Don't get me wrong though its fun, when is killing nazi's not. Expand
  21. May 31, 2017
    The game is f*cking light weight with acceptable graphics but the story is not relate to each other.

I played the game on my poor PC and got 60FPS always (it could be higher without FPS cap. Sniper Warriors 3 has character's face design the same as this Wolfenstein 2009 but WT character's face are more realistic than SGW3. :D WT's story is not much interested. Every missions are the

WT's story is not much interested. Every missions are the same to each other. I played it once and never want to replay anymore.
  22. Oct 26, 2016
    The problem is that I've never played previous games in the series so I really don't know why the iriginal or Return to Castle was so praised. On the other hand, I played other id Software and Raven Software games, like Doom 1, Doom 2, Doom 3, the Quake games etc. so I was really excited about this game and I just had to try it out.

I noticed the graphics first and I found them to be

I noticed the graphics first and I found them to be pretty good, even though the game uses an old id Tech 4 Engine. Wolfenstein actually looks better than many shooters from that era, including Medal of Honor: Airborne and F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin. The other thing I was impressed with is the non-linear level progression. The game gives you options, which missions you'd like to do first and which later. There are also many optional side mission. Of course, most of the time you'll be killing Nazis, but there are also many other creatures around, like robots etc. You can also use special powers like night vision and "super shield", which can be fun to play with, but more about these things in the second paragraph. There are many different weapons in this game, for which you can buy upgrades and ammo. Some of these weapons are really cool, like the Tesla gun, but some are ridiculous. The story isn't anything special, but at least there is a story, which is a big step up from, let's say, Far Cry 2.

On the other hand, the game becomes repetitive because, even though there are tons of different weapons (you will be using only one or two of them most of the time though, probably the MP40 and MP43) and different locations and sometimes different enemies, you can't escape the feeling that it is all just so "nothing special". The game does not feature anything you haven't seen or experienced before. I mean, the story is unbelievably uninspired, super weapons are stolen from F.E.A.R., Doom and Quake. Locations are solid and the town of Isenstadt is well made, but the maps are too small and there is too much loading time between areas. Like I mentioned before, there are also special powers on disposal, but again, the system isn't well made and you can basically use night vision (in the game it's called the veil) all the time which kills the immersion. There are also boss fights and some of them are really hard, which is strange, because the game is in general very easy to play.

Because of all the things mentioned in the second paragraph, I was a bit disappointed with Wolfenstein. I'm not saying it's a bad game, it's pretty fun to play and most of all, I like the non-linear mission progress, but it could have been much more. After so highly praised Return to Castle Wolfenstein, this must have come as a disappointment to many but nevertheless, I enjoyed it as much as I could.

1. In the end this is a by the numbers shooter with slick graphics, and ample opportunity to shoot supercharged Nazis. It's not going to win any awards but it's worth checking out if you’re looking for a weekend to pass the time shooting everyone's favorite bad guys.
  2. Dated look and tired “twists” of the barely noticeable story fail to impress. Wolfenstein is a true mediocrity in all regards – it has neither shameful slip-ups nor flashes of inspiration.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Throw away your fears – this game is not “oldie and weirdie” as some can assume. It’s a smart fast shooter with a couple of great features. Pity some elements don’t work as intended. [Sept 2009]