• Publisher: Ubisoft
  • Release Date: Mar 10, 2009
8.4

1. AurelianoF
    Mar 29, 2009
    Amazing game. I bought the pack on Steam This is what i been looking all along. One of the best strategy games ever!! Cheers!
  2. MartinF
    Apr 14, 2009
    Brilliant game, can only recommend everyone that loves strategy games to buy it.
  3. Jan 4, 2011
    A very good game with nice graphics and gameplay that is fun, although fairly unoriginal. The campaign is good with an interesting plot, although i'd rather have a choice between the two factions rather than them alternating as you progress, as it gets confusing. There's also a lack of a decent single player skirmish mode, which is bad if you like quick battles. The rest of the game isA very good game with nice graphics and gameplay that is fun, although fairly unoriginal. The campaign is good with an interesting plot, although i'd rather have a choice between the two factions rather than them alternating as you progress, as it gets confusing. There's also a lack of a decent single player skirmish mode, which is bad if you like quick battles. The rest of the game is quite good though, and definitely worth a try. Expand
  4. Nov 25, 2011
    A fantastic RTS game. It does away with base building, and instead uses reinforcements you can air drop into the battle. This system also means that when all your units are gone, you don't lose the game, as any reinforcement points that were used on that unit get refunded, so you can get back into the fight quickly.

The Tactical Aid is amazing. It allows you to call in Artillery, Air

The Tactical Aid is amazing. It allows you to call in Artillery, Air support etc. The amount of tactical aid powers you get is amazing. You could level an entire city with the Tactical Aid. It also looks amazing when you call down a rain of artillery down on your enemies.

In terms of Graphics the game is solid. Explosions look satisfying, and the unit, terrain and environmental details are nice and clear.

If your new to WiC then the control scheme might seem strange for an RTS game. As you control it more like an FPS game than a standard RTS game. Due to this, it could very well be ported over to consoles without any trouble at all.

In Soviet Assault you essentially play two campaigns rolled into one. You'll be playing as both the USA and Russian forces.

I highly recommend this game to anyone who likes their RTS games.
  5. Dec 16, 2012
    The campaign is very well done and provides an enjoyable experience. However the multiplayer is pointless because no one uses anything but gunships and AA. All the multiplayer is helicopters shooting things and anti-air killing helicopters and one or two people with armor. Don't buy just for multiplayer and don't get the soviet assault expansion if you already have the original game; itThe campaign is very well done and provides an enjoyable experience. However the multiplayer is pointless because no one uses anything but gunships and AA. All the multiplayer is helicopters shooting things and anti-air killing helicopters and one or two people with armor. Don't buy just for multiplayer and don't get the soviet assault expansion if you already have the original game; it does nothing but add a couple new campaign missions Expand
  6. Apr 3, 2014
    World In Conflict: Soviet Assault is a rather fun mission-type RTS, while with no resource management beyond tax income, it excels in what it delivers with awe inspiring visuals and strategic gameplay beyond what most can handle allowing countless of their troops to march into death. First up is the strategy elements in the game, this can sometimes feel as if it was a Total War game set inWorld In Conflict: Soviet Assault is a rather fun mission-type RTS, while with no resource management beyond tax income, it excels in what it delivers with awe inspiring visuals and strategic gameplay beyond what most can handle allowing countless of their troops to march into death. First up is the strategy elements in the game, this can sometimes feel as if it was a Total War game set in the "Modern Era" in which every single movement counts. Infantry and sometimes light transport can hide in the forests designed for ambushes and strategic placement for ground infantry. Infantry can go into buildings and use them as makeshift forts, making an apartment complex an MG nest, or even hold off tanks with AT units firing from windows that suddenly attack you from the side as you're going by. APC's are used as transport over land, and if it's amphibious even by sea if you are in need of that approach. Tanks are broken down into light, medium, and heavy. Light for taking out small infantry units and light transport, but are dominated by AT. Medium for taking out APC's, but are easily taken out by artillery. Finally, there's heavy that is for taking out buildings, and breaking through enemy locations to capture strategic points on the map, that have only two weaknesses I could find, air units and Tac Point bonuses. Anti-air is broken into light and heavy, heavy being mobile sam turrets mostly, and light using heavy bullets that tear apart helicopters mid-air, but both are easily taken out by land units. Air vehicles are in two different places, the "Tac Points" and the buy menu. The buy menu uses helicopters ranging from lightweight scouts used to find enemies moving around to flank or simply finding where the enemy is advancing from. Transport to quickly move behind enemy lines and fortify to capture a point. And heavy to take out armored units such as any tank, and some APC's. Artillery is broken down into light and heavy weight, as well as getting much larger single strikes through "Tac Points". Heavy for the Soviets are Howitzers that fire large shells that deal much more damage than the rapid fire artillery for Nato, or the balanced between version of American heavy artillery. Lightweight artillery takes out pretty much only light transport, and infantry which is a bit underwhelming at first but if you figure out where to fire with it, it can change battles around. Perhaps the best part of this game is the Tac Points that range from calling in paratroopers, to tactical nuclear devices. This is what expands the strategy in almost every way. The tac points such as the cluster bomb is devastating and should be kept close to you if you ever get the points. The nuclear device levels entire sections of the map with little to no effort besides getting there, and is by far the most visually and shows the best use of the game's physics. The lighter, cheaper tac points are made to allow for strategic flanks around enemies, or such as an A10 taking out a group of APC's or tanks. Here's a tip instead of moving infantry in to take out the enemy snipers use a Napalm strike on his position, or a bunker buster if he's in a building. The story is good for the most part, you take the role of both sides starting with the invasion of West Germany, killing the 6th armored platoon of America. This is the first battle of what is supposedly WWIII. The Soviets later invade North America through cargo freights and sneaking in to American homelands and attacking Seattle and fighting back the unprepared National Guard and U.S. Army. Although the most surprising part, is where a rather hated character turns loved by me where he sacrifices himself in the most honorable way possible, living up to the code that he will fight for his country no matter the cost. The part that was most surprising to me was it's what he wanted, he died and you had to call in the order to do it. Giving a fairly touching cinematic, and giving you motive to not let a strike be launched at Seattle later on. It shocked both sides as well, halting the soviet forces that attempted to go through the area, Paradise Falls, and shocked America by how they were almost forced to do it. Multiplayer is perhaps the best part allowing for some rather significant features, and the key feature is choosing a role and using it to cover the weaknesses for other players, although not completely as they do allow you to get some things in all parts which is commendable in it's own right but I'm going to give that a minus because it ruins part of the teamwork experience. The reason it earns it's 10/10 is for truly significant gameplay and it's complete add-on to the story of it's base game, giving you actual emotions when you order your men to kill. The multiplayer is amazing, and the Engine was made specifically for this type of game. Expand
  7. JasonP
    Mar 27, 2009
    Buy this game! The single player campaign is nice but get it for the online multiplayer fun. I've never been so addicted to an online game and I've gotten other people hooked on it also. The online play is non stop action. The graphics engine is also very well done. Explosion effects are top notch and along with the sound effects make for a very engrossing battle experience. Buy this game! The single player campaign is nice but get it for the online multiplayer fun. I've never been so addicted to an online game and I've gotten other people hooked on it also. The online play is non stop action. The graphics engine is also very well done. Explosion effects are top notch and along with the sound effects make for a very engrossing battle experience. This game is pretty cheap at most places so it is definitely worth the purchase. Be careful, you'll be playing online matches and realize 5-8 hours just flew by. Expand
  8. AndrewM
    Mar 21, 2009
    A great buy if you haven't already purchased the game. If you have already purchased you might be underwhelmed by the new content. But if this is your first stab at World in Conflict I highly advise you try it out. Otherwise you might want to skip this one.
  9. StephenB
    Mar 13, 2009
    Score mostly based on core game; would've expected more new content and a way to skip past already-played missions (usa); a more substantial graphics upgrade, coded with multi-threading and DX 10 quality options I know there are a few dx10 options, but they don't sem fundamental- added-on at last minute. Finally, we all know that this add-on is just the product of a wasted Score mostly based on core game; would've expected more new content and a way to skip past already-played missions (usa); a more substantial graphics upgrade, coded with multi-threading and DX 10 quality options I know there are a few dx10 options, but they don't sem fundamental- added-on at last minute. Finally, we all know that this add-on is just the product of a wasted console-port effort! Expand
  10. PhilippeP
    Mar 18, 2009
    I bought this as as pack with the original game. I wouldn't call it real time strategy because there's no strategy in it. The story is well thought out and the cutscenes/voiceovers are convincing. The game engine itself is nice and I didn't experience any bug/crash while doing the whole SP campaign. Don't buy this game if you're looking for strategy, because as I I bought this as as pack with the original game. I wouldn't call it real time strategy because there's no strategy in it. The story is well thought out and the cutscenes/voiceovers are convincing. The game engine itself is nice and I didn't experience any bug/crash while doing the whole SP campaign. Don't buy this game if you're looking for strategy, because as I said earlier there is none. You are given very short-terms objectives and you have to follow them to the letter. Expand
  11. Dec 19, 2012
    I love this game, cannot understand why the Metacritc score is down compared to the standard game...its just the same with even more missions! My pc is quite old but with a £50 graphics card inside, this game runs very smoothly with great graphics. Best game i have ever got for my pc!
  12. Dec 15, 2013
    Reviewers have complained how this expansion pack didn't add anything new so the price tag wasn't justified. I understand that, but I, along with a number of others bought the Complete Edition (Original Expansion), so there was no problem for us in terms of pricing (see my review for the original). The added Soviet storyline is not a continuation of the story; it ties in with the US andReviewers have complained how this expansion pack didn't add anything new so the price tag wasn't justified. I understand that, but I, along with a number of others bought the Complete Edition (Original Expansion), so there was no problem for us in terms of pricing (see my review for the original). The added Soviet storyline is not a continuation of the story; it ties in with the US and NATO campaigns, yet it's a worthy addition. The Soviet characters are just as memorable as their American counterparts. The fact that you can now play the story from both perspectives making this already amazing game even better. Then there was a patch that makes you play the missions in chronological order (play one Soviet mission and then play the next US mission), as if they couldn't make it anymore awesome. Expand
  13. May 8, 2016
    It's quite simply the best, most fun single player PC game I've ever played. And extremely well recommended for anyone who likes action based RPS where you get right into it, Cold War thrillers, and wants a game that feels like a movie experience.

The story and narrative are creative, voice-acting and cut-scenes are awesome. It's like experiencing a Cold War action flick (a well acted one, like Hunt For the Red October, coincidental since Alec Baldwin voices the main character).

The action, though frantic and not realistic, is extremely well done and fun to play. It's even a bit dare I say emotional in parts. Because the action portrays the desperation of the characters well. There's nothing like taking a hill, then positioning heavy artillery on it. Linking your artillery to a hotkey and unleashing the rain.

What doesn't get said enough is the detail. One of the Soviet Missions has you going through eastern Washington State farmland and having lived near there all my life they nail it. The brown, earth tones and yellow-dried grass fields. It's amazing how scalable the game is. One mission I was firing artillery from a high up "god's view" and then mouse wheeled close to an American tank and there was actually voice dialogue I could hear from inside the tank going "What's happening? Is that artillery?" Similar the Russian vehicles and men are constantly yelling out in battle what I can only assume is real Russian dialogue...Despite the fact that perhaps 95% of the game's audience may never understand it. Even in one of the Washington missions in the hayfields there's a sprinkler system, fully animated with the little arm that taps it in circles, with its own sound.

The level of care and desire to make an awesome Cold War RTS is here. So again, if you like action games, RTS, Cold War movies and a great story experience you simply cannot go wrong with Soviet Assault.

1. PC Gamer
    Soviet Assault doesn't expand on World in Conflict enough to make it an automatic purchase. New players will get the best experience here. [Apr 2009, p.84]
  2. To everyone who liked, or still likes, World in Conflict, Soviet Assault is a must-have. The simple fact alone, that you’re finally able to play as a commander in the Russian Army is sort of a fans dream come true. Unfortunately though, the original's slight overview-problems still haven’t been solved.
  3. The first expansion for the award-winning World in Conflict features six new campaign maps from the USSR perspective. Invade America with the soviet army and free the nation with the weapons of Communism. A good add-on for those who own the game and look for further and new challenges. Soviet Assault is a good expansion that does its job well, just by adding a few maps to the original game.