8.5

1. Nov 17, 2010
    World of Goo is one of the greatest puzzle games of all time, the graphics suit the game perfectly the sound track is truly amazing and the game is fun and challenging, could be longer is my only criticism but thats only because i enjoyed it so much
  2. Dec 1, 2010
    This game sucks bigtime.
    I love indie games, and i love puzzle games, but this is plain crap.
    For starters, you can't change the resolution, but neither could you on Plants vs Zombies and that game's awesome. The problem of this game is, like many have pointed out already, it's ridiculous difficulty curve. First few levels of world 1 are ok, and then you reach that "Tower of goo" level. I
    This game sucks bigtime.
    I love indie games, and i love puzzle games, but this is plain crap.
    The problem of this game is, like many have pointed out already, it's ridiculous difficulty curve. First few levels of world 1 are ok, and then you reach that "Tower of goo" level. I tried it 1000 times, watching "tutorials" on youtube and it's impossible. Well, possible it is, the problem is it's based on luck. You create a base structure which stands steady, and then you have to go as fast as possible to reach the top. As you can guess there is no precision, nor strategy involved. You have to get lucky that at some time you'll reach the top without the tower to collapse. So basically it's a "do the same thing a gazillion times and one of it you'll get lucky" strategy. Needless to say that after 5 times the music and sound effects get really, REALLY annoying and only add to the rage to the point you have to mute it.
    This makes me think that the whole rest of the game and it's "difficulty" in the end resides on this luck which will drive you crazy and make you rage to the point you want to punch little babies.
    You've been warned!
  3. Dec 9, 2010
    The concept behind this game is great. It's a physics puzzler where you build goo based structures in order to save a collection of goo balls.

The problem lies in the concept's execution. The OCD challenges are what give replay value to the game but are frustrating to an incredible degree. Some of the challenges require you to finish the level within a certain amount of time but don't offer you a timer during the game. You have to wait until you finish the level to see your completion time. This means that you have to go back to the world map and then reselect the level again in order to retry.

A similar frustration is that you can't retry the level after the base number of goo balls have been collected. Some of the OCD challenges require you to collect and absurd amount of goo balls compared to the amount required to complete the level on its own. In one example, the level required me to collect 8 goo balls to continue to the next area. The OCD challenge required me to collect 36 goo balls. Again, this challenge is fine but the game does you no favors. You can't (easily) retry the level after you collect the first 8 goo balls. In order to even get the menu to pop up after collecting 8 goo balls and noticing I was going to fall short, I had to click, and then read, one of the in-game signs. There is no "retry" button after you complete a level so if you follow through and just finish you have to go back to the world map and then reselect the level you just finished. It would also be nice here to have something that tracked the goo balls that hadn't been used. This would save a lot of time as you would know exactly how many balls were left and how many more you could use before you had to start the level all over again.

The game offers an "undo" feature in these little time-warp bugs that generate every once in a while. Clicking on the bug steps back in time to the point where the bug was spawned. The main problem here is that it can be a pain to click on the bugs as they fly around the level, sometimes they end up right on top of my goo structure. Additionally, the bugs don't always go back to where they should, at least it seemed that way. It was common to rewind time and see my tower spasm wildly into the walls and spinning blades.

Moving the goo around is also pretty frustrating. Hovering over a goo ball stops it's movement even if it's in front of different type of goo ball. There were many times where I either destroyed my structure or missed critical timing because I couldn't select the goo ball I wanted. When you pick up the goo balls, you have to maneuver them around the objects in the world, which is generally fine, but at times is incredibly frustrating. At one point I had about 15 balls fall off of my structure and I had to drag them each individually up to the structure in order to finish the level.

World of Goo also has a gameplay mode that lets you build an infinitely tall tower of goo. This would be cool if you got anything for building a taller and taller structure but all it seems to do is allow you to compete with other people. The goo you collect from the "story" part of the game gets sent to the Corporation of Goo where you build the infinite tower. It would be nice if building a taller and taller tower unlocked something or other because otherwise there's no motivation to even use this part of the game.

The art is really nice, and one of the reasons I didn't mark this as low as I had initially thought. One small problem with the art art is that, at times, it's difficult to distinguish between the level's background and things like spinning gears that will destroy your goo structure and the goo balls themselves. It's also tough to distinguish between level boundaries and walls that you can use to prop up your structure. If the tower collapses and hits a wall, part of it is destroyed.

The music is good as well but there's no option to turn it off. The game lacks customization options in general and the full-screen key combination isn't even explained, I had to look it up online. To mute the music and play with my own I had to download a custom DLL that let me control the volume of the sound effects and the music - controls that should have been in the game by default. Changing the resolution required editing a config file, which is more than ridiculous for a fairly casual game like WoG.

All in all, this game frustrated the hell out of me. Not because the concept was frustrating, or even the gameplay, the UI and overall system built around the gameplay is what turned me off. There are features missing that are expected in modern puzzle games and features missing that are expected in modern games in general. The fact that this is an indie title is no excuse for a lack of a sound/volume menu, or the lack of a timer when challenges require you to finish a level within a time limit.
  4. Aug 2, 2011
    THE PROS: My hat is off to this game for its artwork and level design, which are interesting, original, and often adorable. The gameplay also deserves points for its originality. The basic concept of WOG is that there are these tiny goo balls squirming around in every level, and these goo balls can be picked up by the player using the mouse cursor and then dropped near other goo balls toTHE PROS: My hat is off to this game for its artwork and level design, which are interesting, original, and often adorable. The gameplay also deserves points for its originality. The basic concept of WOG is that there are these tiny goo balls squirming around in every level, and these goo balls can be picked up by the player using the mouse cursor and then dropped near other goo balls to create structures. The objective of most levels is to build a structure (or series of structures) that allows a certain number of goo balls to reach an exit pipe. The more goo balls that reach the exit, the better your score. So the challenge of the game is twofold: 1) Figuring what sort of structure you'll need to build to accomplish the level objective, as it is rarely a straight course, 2) Conquering the laws of physics by building a goo structure that not only accomplishes your goal, but is also structurally sound and unlikely to be destroyed by environmental dangers. The game does a fantastic job of creating fresh scenarios, either by introducing new environmental dangers or by introducing new goo balls with new unique abilities. The game's originality is incredibly refreshing and its character will charm you to no end.
    THE CONS: Interacting with the goo balls in the game is not always very user friendly, and in some situations it becomes just plain infuriating. In most levels, the goo balls start on a small, pre-built structure. As you build, the goo balls whimsically travel around the tresses of the structure you're putting together. As the game goes on and the challenges become more difficult, this actually starts to become frustrating for a number of different reasons. For example, if there are multiple types of goo balls in a particular stage (let's say regular black goo and balloon goo), you might be trying to pick up a particular kind of goo ball to accomplish a particular task. However, the one goo ball you're trying to pick up is buried beneath 60 other goo balls that you don't want. You can't just move all the unwanted goo balls aside and dig down to the goo ball you want, because all the goo balls are running around like disobedient children. The whistle the game gives you to "call" goo balls is no help, since it seems to only make the goo balls do what they are already doing (i.e., running around chaotically), only faster. The chaotic dog pile of goo balls also proves frustrating in time-sensitive situations, since you'll try to quickly grab a single goo ball from the writing mass of them, but instead you'll accidentally yank out a goo ball that's already been placed, causing your entire structure to collapse. The developers have kindly introduced tiny flies you can click on to flashback to an earlier point in the level, in case you make any huge blunders; however, these flies also prove frustrating since 1) the restore points they choose seem almost random, ranging anywhere from two seconds ago (letting you watch your structure fall in instant replay) to three minutes ago (causing you to rebuild a significant chunk of your structure), and 2) it is too easy to click one of these flies by accident when you don't mean to, effectively deleting GOOD progress you've made. In short, all of the problems and frustrations of world of goo boil down to one essential problem: there is too much crap on the screen at one time. It all piles on top of each other, and it can make your life hell. VERDICT: Definitely buy the game for its originality and charm, but be prepared for some unnecessary frustration.
  5. Nov 1, 2012
    I bought this game on steam sale for 1 dollar. And I liked World Of Goo very much! A cheap cool game, that could help you to spend some time in fun! Good physics and nice graphics with awesome gameplay- that is my choice!
  6. Sep 24, 2010
    This game reminded me a lot of Portal. A little short, but very fun. There are a lot of nice touches, clever puzzles and well crafted gameplay. I was pleasantly surprised by the new levels and the way the game progressed. I really enjoyed it, and have recommended it to all my gamer friends.
  7. Dec 23, 2010
    First I would like to state that I am not a indie addict by any means (ok I just bough humble bundle 2, but thatâ
  8. Dec 15, 2010
    This game is beyond description, each level makes you feel brilliant, with their own twist, it has an unseen morale, and so much more! It is beyond our limited vocabulary for me to fully describe to you a minor glimpse of this game!
  9. Jun 26, 2011
    Very unique, and entertaining... A good game for almost any age, even a 3 year old! It's a game that makes you think a little more than just "react & shoot", and that's a Plus+ :)
  10. Mar 23, 2011
    This game... is brilliant... It struck emotions in me that most mainstream games never can do. I found it more emotional than Heavy Rain, and the weird thing is that the story isn't really that structured. It really is just stuff happening, but I think that the music had a lot to do with it. The Sign Painter's signs are probably one of the best parts of the game too. Reading those signsThis game... is brilliant... It struck emotions in me that most mainstream games never can do. I found it more emotional than Heavy Rain, and the weird thing is that the story isn't really that structured. It really is just stuff happening, but I think that the music had a lot to do with it. The Sign Painter's signs are probably one of the best parts of the game too. Reading those signs always adds a bit of humor, and sometimes it even adds some bits of other emotions, like hopelessness and despair. World of Goo has solid gameplay, the levels can become a bit difficult but a calm head can get you through it. If you really can't beat a level, you can skip it and do it later. And it's not based on luck solely, there's a lot of strategy to this game. Expand
  11. Jul 3, 2011
    Very realistic physics engine and the adding-on-more-to-the-game methods are both very solid. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but something about the real and illusion of physics in this game brings my score lower than what most people might agree on...
  12. Feb 14, 2012
    WORLD OF GOO: This is one of those games that I really like to play when got bored with my daily lives. OK... Here's World of Goo. It's a physics-based puzzle game where you construct goos so that they can made it into the end point which is the pipe. That's pretty much the whole explanation. There are various goo types as you play. There are the baloon goos (or maybe they are actualWORLD OF GOO: This is one of those games that I really like to play when got bored with my daily lives. OK... Here's World of Goo. It's a physics-based puzzle game where you construct goos so that they can made it into the end point which is the pipe. That's pretty much the whole explanation. There are various goo types as you play. There are the baloon goos (or maybe they are actual baloons), there are the removeable goos, trasparent goos, and soo many more. Even with the simple gameplay, you still need your brain right here though not fully. Maybe because you mindlessly construct goos. But this game actually requires strategy and prediction in the later levels. The overall gameplay is very fun, though it can get hard sometimes. Surprisingly this game has a very interesting personality on itself. The game is just making fun of things and not taking it too seriously. Yeah, it's maybe a little mindless, but it's still fun to play. So far, the only problem i got on this game is that it spoils how many chapters are on this game. Though, this game still can hook you up with like 30-40 hours. OVERALL: This is an awesome game. I have a fun times playing with it as a casual gamer. Puzzle game fans should definitely check it out. It's pretty cheap right now so why don't you buy it!. Oh, and it works really well on any netbook so you can bring it anywhere. [8/10] "Awesome" Expand
  13. Aug 1, 2012
    Considering that basically the entire game was created by TWO PEOPLE, i can't think of anyway that this game could have been made better. Some people are complaining about price, which doesn't do the game justice in itself.
  14. Dec 3, 2012
    Updated review: Finished game except for the bonus hard levels. Fun game. Absolutely worth playing. Original review: This is a cool physics based game. To Radio - Re the Tower of Goo Level - Don't just build straight up - come back down to the bottom to solidify your base so that it doesn't rock back and forth so much and fall. If it's shaking too much adding spokes at the bottom toUpdated review: Finished game except for the bonus hard levels. Fun game. Absolutely worth playing. Original review: This is a cool physics based game. To Radio - Re the Tower of Goo Level - Don't just build straight up - come back down to the bottom to solidify your base so that it doesn't rock back and forth so much and fall. If it's shaking too much adding spokes at the bottom to stabilize helps alot. Think Pyramid instead of Obelisk (sp?). Pay attention to the balance and build away from the lean. Don't worry about building fast at first until you formulate a stable strategy. I've only played a few hours so far, but the one level "in between" where you're building a bridge without sagging too low or floating too high - I did find the gui to get in the way because timing does matter quite a bit there - I'd often try to grab a balloon to try to stop the bridge from falling too low, or a blob to stop it from floating too high - and grab the wrong thing. Frustrating, but they do give the back a move option that sometimes might help (not always though due to timing) Expand
  15. Jan 7, 2012
    I never though building things out of talking balls of snot would be fun but it was. World of Goo is a great mix of a beautiful scenario and sound effects. The game does get very challenging later on so it isn't exactly something just everyone can play, but all in all it was very fun. I ended up buying it for my kids but I had to help them so much I might as well had been playing it forI never though building things out of talking balls of snot would be fun but it was. World of Goo is a great mix of a beautiful scenario and sound effects. The game does get very challenging later on so it isn't exactly something just everyone can play, but all in all it was very fun. I ended up buying it for my kids but I had to help them so much I might as well had been playing it for them full time. Expand
  16. Feb 6, 2012
    This is an Amazing game. Although it can be hard at times, it can really be satisfying to beat them. The game has great comical graphics (you don't need ultra-crysis realism to have good graphics, it just has to look good). It has funny little sounds for the goos. It is comical down to the core. The only time you will wouldn't like it is if you try the OCD.
  17. Nov 7, 2012
    This game, is probably the most fun I've had in a long time. I can't even begin to describe the perfection of this game. Graphics and scenery are beautiful, the music is so delicate, and the gameplay is so smooth and fun to play. I would highly recommend this game.
  18. Nov 26, 2012
    Insanely good game from start to the very end. Gameplay is smooth and easy to controll and puzzles get very interesting and challenging along the way. It has just the right amount of dificulty. The soundtrack is one of the best in a sea of amazing indie game tracks. The slow story unfolding is perfectly paced and is very interesting to follow to see where it leads with an amazingInsanely good game from start to the very end. Gameplay is smooth and easy to controll and puzzles get very interesting and challenging along the way. It has just the right amount of dificulty. The soundtrack is one of the best in a sea of amazing indie game tracks. The slow story unfolding is perfectly paced and is very interesting to follow to see where it leads with an amazing ending. This is one of my favorite indie games and I have a lot. Expand
  19. Aug 24, 2014
    I had previously reviewed the Wii version. Now that I have the PC version too, I think it's safe to say that there really isn't much of a difference.

Pros: Online leaderboards and achievements

Cons: No multiplayer, unlike the Wii.

Still, great indie title. 8/10
  20. Dec 28, 2013
    This game is an old-school click-point-build game. It utilizes the "stretchiness" of goo to make you think about your blob placements. I would be lying if i said it wasn't strategic and thought-provoking. I bought it on Wii for the high rating about 2 years ago, and I re-purchased it on Steam sale just now. I beat it then, and I intend to beat it again (albeit Wii controller is much harderThis game is an old-school click-point-build game. It utilizes the "stretchiness" of goo to make you think about your blob placements. I would be lying if i said it wasn't strategic and thought-provoking. I bought it on Wii for the high rating about 2 years ago, and I re-purchased it on Steam sale just now. I beat it then, and I intend to beat it again (albeit Wii controller is much harder than mouse controls, aka if you are considering computer purchase, you have no reason not to buy.) This game is so good, thought-wise (physics), good music, good SFX, good concept, challenging (but not without retries), innovative, and fun. I will say it is rather bland and dark, but it is extremely rewarding in its gameplay.

However I cannot give it above a 7-8 because it doesn't take more time than that to complete the game.
  21. 4DI
    Nov 18, 2012
    A puzzle game, that raises the bar for all future puzzle games.
  22. May 12, 2013
    You can't say you didn't have fun with this game, really, it's hard. Lovable art styles fun and challenging puzzles with a great soundtrack as well. There are also 'challenge modes' on each levels called OCDs, these are challenging and a worthy challenge. I would get this game on the pc rather than on the iPhone though. Either way, two thumbs up.
  23. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is one of a kind. It takes thinking games to a whole new level. The only thing I did not like about the game is there were some levels that seemed impossible and I could not figure out how to get past them. I used www.worldofgooguide.com for the levels that made me want to rage quit! Minus the frustration, I love the game and recommend it to any one who likes a simple yetThis game is one of a kind. It takes thinking games to a whole new level. The only thing I did not like about the game is there were some levels that seemed impossible and I could not figure out how to get past them. I used www.worldofgooguide.com for the levels that made me want to rage quit! Minus the frustration, I love the game and recommend it to any one who likes a simple yet complicated game. Expand
  24. Jan 30, 2013
    Very original idea and great gameplay. I have this game on my PC and Android, which both this is fun to play :) Levels are quite difficult, just needs to be clever and fast.
  25. Feb 22, 2013
    World of goo is a sweet and charming, yet a powerful and engrossing experience. The art and overall character is engaging, and the music is sublime. The story, while quite simple, works well to draw you in to the world, but never upstages the experience. The story even takes a few moments to explore some deeper issues such as beauty and ethics, if that sort of thing appeals to you. But ifWorld of goo is a sweet and charming, yet a powerful and engrossing experience. The art and overall character is engaging, and the music is sublime. The story, while quite simple, works well to draw you in to the world, but never upstages the experience. The story even takes a few moments to explore some deeper issues such as beauty and ethics, if that sort of thing appeals to you. But if all you want is a simple physics puzzler, this game will also deliver. The gameplay channels some classic puzzle games, particularly lemmings, but modernized with a simple physics engine. The game while short is probably exactly as long as it needs to be while there are plenty of types of gooballs and game possibilities, any more playtime would have probably worn out the game's freshness.
    To split hairs, there are a few things this game could do bettter. A common complaint, and well warranted, is that when there are heaps of gooballs swarming in one area, it's sometimes hard to pick the one you need. Also, while the music is beautiful, the game could stand to have a few more tracks. Another minor criticism is that some of the animations in the cutscenes are a bit poor.
    Finally and this is purely subjective I very quickly got sick of building huge towers and bridges. When I've already worked out the solution to a level, I feel very frustrated if I then also have to spend 5 minutes meticulously building a structure just to make a minor error and have the whole thing collapse and force me to start again. (In my opinion, the challenge in puzzle games should be more about working out the solution than mastering the technique to pull it off)
    But I hate to end this on a bad note, so I will say that this is a unique, beautiful at times artistic game that should really be in everybody's game library.
  26. Dec 20, 2013
    For an indi game its awesome and very fun. Game uses unique mechanics, giving you puzzles to solve. I reccomend this! By the way, there are discounts for it in Steam atm.
  27. AWG
    Jul 27, 2013
    It seems the general consensus for this game is "You love it or you hate it". I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either: World of Goo is a cute, original indie game with a good set of graphics, but it never hits the nail on the head. It's pretty, yeah, but pretty forgettable too.
  28. Oct 12, 2013
    Best Indie Game Ever If you havent played that game so you made a great mistake of all your gaming life The music ,,the art the gameplay its a deep experience that you will never forget
  29. Nov 20, 2013
    The physics are great and the prospect seems fantastic… But, I just despise it! Now don’t take that the wrong way because the game looks great (aside from the complete lack of resolution options) has an interesting objective and is a new experience for the puzzle genre… It just really annoys me beyond belief because this is too difficult and too frustrating for a puzzle greenhorn likeThe physics are great and the prospect seems fantastic… But, I just despise it! Now don’t take that the wrong way because the game looks great (aside from the complete lack of resolution options) has an interesting objective and is a new experience for the puzzle genre… It just really annoys me beyond belief because this is too difficult and too frustrating for a puzzle greenhorn like myself! I have never really liked games that have a fundamental principal of making you think! I don’t think too good! I really can only recommend this game to puzzle game fans and those who enjoy building stable structures out of goo balls… Expand
  30. Jan 19, 2014
    Beautiful game. Gameplay is straightforward and fun. Art design is adorable yet stylish. Well the music ... give the atmosphere another great boost!
    This is the kind of game will always stay in my hard-disk.
    People who can't take a little challenge in a casual indie game? Well, there's a genre of games called "interactive fiction"
  31. Jul 15, 2014
    I didn't enjoy it at all..it was stunning for the first 2 minutes... then I realized that it wad bad.Don't bother it's not a game.U won't enjoy it as puzzle game
  32. Jun 10, 2014
    Otro de los buques insignia de los videojuegos indie. Gráficos muy pulidos, mecánicas sencillas, curva de dificultad bastante nivelada. A los niños les encanta y debería estar en tu colección.
  33. Jun 25, 2014
    Short game, cheap game, and worth a try. Some puzzles are challenging, and require skill. The whole concept is a good idea and you'll have fun as long as it lasts.
  34. Dec 4, 2014
    This was my first ever pc game. No other pc game has ever mounted up to, or even gotten close to how awesome this game is. I love every aspect about it, and I played it until 10:00 PM to get the next level. Wow. Amazing OST, smooth gameplay, and SCREW not being able to customize it fully. It's Perfect the way it is.

1. The members of 2D Boy should be carried around in chariots while this glory lasts - because at some point, they're going to realise what a murderously high standard they've set for themselves, and run away forever.
    World of Goo's mix of ingenious physics-based puzzles and witty, colorful presentation make it a game almost everyone should check out. It goes by fast -- you can get through most of the puzzles in 5-6 hours -- but for $20, there's little excuse not to check out this World.
  3. Masterfully done, and certainly set to become an instant Wii and PC cult hit. [Dec 2008, p.98]