8.5

1. BobDole
    Jan 7, 2010
    This game is hugely addictive. Glad I picked it up for only 5 dollars. The most surprising thing about this game is the soundtrack. It definitely takes this game to a whole new level. Buy it and you'll know what i mean.
  2. ZombieT.
    Oct 15, 2008
    This game is absolute perfection. Perfect score for visuals, audio/music, gameplay and story. And made by two guys! I'd still give it 10/10 if it were made by a larger company, but that really stands out to me. Most amazing game all year!
    May 9, 2009
    World of Goo is one of the most innovative games I have played in a long time. It is simple, yet addictive. It brings back fond memories of Lemmings from my childhood. Sometimes seeing the demise of your little goolings is as much fun as leading them to the goal. If I had three thumbs, it would get three thumbs up.
  4. JohnC
    Jun 27, 2009
    This is an amazing game. Very very fun. Great music, great lasting appeal, and tons of ways to have fun with it all. Pick it up.
  5. DouglasBurrill
    Dec 29, 2008
    A fantastic indie game. I was particularly how interested my two kids (aged 3 and 5) were with the game. I bought it for myself but it turned into a family entertainment game. Different themes for each chapter helped keep their interest. The kids actually identified with some of the different goo ball characters but the best part was that they were excited to interact with a physicsA fantastic indie game. I was particularly how interested my two kids (aged 3 and 5) were with the game. I bought it for myself but it turned into a family entertainment game. Different themes for each chapter helped keep their interest. The kids actually identified with some of the different goo ball characters but the best part was that they were excited to interact with a physics based game. Expand
  6. Aug 2, 2011
    THE PROS: My hat is off to this game for its artwork and level design, which are interesting, original, and often adorable. The gameplay also deserves points for its originality. The basic concept of WOG is that there are these tiny goo balls squirming around in every level, and these goo balls can be picked up by the player using the mouse cursor and then dropped near other goo balls toTHE PROS: My hat is off to this game for its artwork and level design, which are interesting, original, and often adorable. The gameplay also deserves points for its originality. The basic concept of WOG is that there are these tiny goo balls squirming around in every level, and these goo balls can be picked up by the player using the mouse cursor and then dropped near other goo balls to create structures. The objective of most levels is to build a structure (or series of structures) that allows a certain number of goo balls to reach an exit pipe. The more goo balls that reach the exit, the better your score. So the challenge of the game is twofold: 1) Figuring what sort of structure you'll need to build to accomplish the level objective, as it is rarely a straight course, 2) Conquering the laws of physics by building a goo structure that not only accomplishes your goal, but is also structurally sound and unlikely to be destroyed by environmental dangers. The game does a fantastic job of creating fresh scenarios, either by introducing new environmental dangers or by introducing new goo balls with new unique abilities. The game's originality is incredibly refreshing and its character will charm you to no end.
    THE CONS: Interacting with the goo balls in the game is not always very user friendly, and in some situations it becomes just plain infuriating. In most levels, the goo balls start on a small, pre-built structure. As you build, the goo balls whimsically travel around the tresses of the structure you're putting together. As the game goes on and the challenges become more difficult, this actually starts to become frustrating for a number of different reasons. For example, if there are multiple types of goo balls in a particular stage (let's say regular black goo and balloon goo), you might be trying to pick up a particular kind of goo ball to accomplish a particular task. However, the one goo ball you're trying to pick up is buried beneath 60 other goo balls that you don't want. You can't just move all the unwanted goo balls aside and dig down to the goo ball you want, because all the goo balls are running around like disobedient children. The whistle the game gives you to "call" goo balls is no help, since it seems to only make the goo balls do what they are already doing (i.e., running around chaotically), only faster. The chaotic dog pile of goo balls also proves frustrating in time-sensitive situations, since you'll try to quickly grab a single goo ball from the writing mass of them, but instead you'll accidentally yank out a goo ball that's already been placed, causing your entire structure to collapse. The developers have kindly introduced tiny flies you can click on to flashback to an earlier point in the level, in case you make any huge blunders; however, these flies also prove frustrating since 1) the restore points they choose seem almost random, ranging anywhere from two seconds ago (letting you watch your structure fall in instant replay) to three minutes ago (causing you to rebuild a significant chunk of your structure), and 2) it is too easy to click one of these flies by accident when you don't mean to, effectively deleting GOOD progress you've made. In short, all of the problems and frustrations of world of goo boil down to one essential problem: there is too much crap on the screen at one time. It all piles on top of each other, and it can make your life hell. VERDICT: Definitely buy the game for its originality and charm, but be prepared for some unnecessary frustration.
  7. Nov 17, 2010
    World of Goo is one of the greatest puzzle games of all time, the graphics suit the game perfectly the sound track is truly amazing and the game is fun and challenging, could be longer is my only criticism but thats only because i enjoyed it so much
  8. JoshP
    Oct 19, 2009
    Let me try and describe this game in one word... Incredible. The scenery is beautiful, music touches your soul, gameplay is addictive and fun, and its just overall fun everysecond. Everyone.. seriously, EVERYONE should try this game. Greatest indie game I have ever played
  9. SignPainter
    Aug 20, 2009
    Whenever I pick up a new video game it's usually Because it has been recommended to me. But w/ World of Goo. I wanted it. I have to say I got World of Goo, And I cried, Because I had deeply underpaid at 15$ This is the kind of game who just "stuck it" to all those repetitive game franchises. This is possibly the greatest game ever made. I am eagerly awaiting the witty and humorous Whenever I pick up a new video game it's usually Because it has been recommended to me. But w/ World of Goo. I wanted it. I have to say I got World of Goo, And I cried, Because I had deeply underpaid at 15$ This is the kind of game who just "stuck it" to all those repetitive game franchises. This is possibly the greatest game ever made. I am eagerly awaiting the witty and humorous content 2D Boy has yet to throw at us. -The Sign Painter Expand
  10. BannonDC
    Jan 14, 2009
    Great puzzle game. No impossible levels. No dead ends. Silly back-story. A little work out for your brain instead of your reflexes. At $20 for the download, there is no reason not to buy this one. As stated by other reviewers, it does end too quickly... I wanted more!
  11. Nov 1, 2012
    I bought this game on steam sale for 1 dollar. And I liked World Of Goo very much! A cheap cool game, that could help you to spend some time in fun! Good physics and nice graphics with awesome gameplay- that is my choice!
  12. Dec 1, 2010
    This game sucks bigtime.
    I love indie games, and i love puzzle games, but this is plain crap.
    For starters, you can't change the resolution, but neither could you on Plants vs Zombies and that game's awesome. The problem of this game is, like many have pointed out already, it's ridiculous difficulty curve. First few levels of world 1 are ok, and then you reach that "Tower of goo" level. I
    This game sucks bigtime.
    I love indie games, and i love puzzle games, but this is plain crap.
    The problem of this game is, like many have pointed out already, it's ridiculous difficulty curve. First few levels of world 1 are ok, and then you reach that "Tower of goo" level. I tried it 1000 times, watching "tutorials" on youtube and it's impossible. Well, possible it is, the problem is it's based on luck. You create a base structure which stands steady, and then you have to go as fast as possible to reach the top. As you can guess there is no precision, nor strategy involved. You have to get lucky that at some time you'll reach the top without the tower to collapse. So basically it's a "do the same thing a gazillion times and one of it you'll get lucky" strategy. Needless to say that after 5 times the music and sound effects get really, REALLY annoying and only add to the rage to the point you have to mute it.
    This makes me think that the whole rest of the game and it's "difficulty" in the end resides on this luck which will drive you crazy and make you rage to the point you want to punch little babies.
    You've been warned!
  13. Kasper
    May 9, 2009
    The game concept is really good. The various goo and the "physical" aspect of the game. However the game have alot situations where speed is off the essence and in this area the really lacks. The GUI for interacting with the goo is really bad. If you miss a goo alittle you risk ripping the structure appart and. It might be intented that precise mouse points gooes moving about a web is The game concept is really good. The various goo and the "physical" aspect of the game. However the game have alot situations where speed is off the essence and in this area the really lacks. The GUI for interacting with the goo is really bad. If you miss a goo alittle you risk ripping the structure appart and. It might be intented that precise mouse points gooes moving about a web is more importent than the "overall idea of structure" but it ruined the game for me. Expand
  14. Dec 9, 2010
    The concept behind this game is great. It's a physics puzzler where you build goo based structures in order to save a collection of goo balls.

The problem lies in the concept's execution. The OCD challenges are what give replay value to the game but are frustrating to an incredible degree. Some of the challenges require you to finish the level within a certain amount of time but don't offer you a timer during the game. You have to wait until you finish the level to see your completion time. This means that you have to go back to the world map and then reselect the level again in order to retry.

A similar frustration is that you can't retry the level after the base number of goo balls have been collected. Some of the OCD challenges require you to collect and absurd amount of goo balls compared to the amount required to complete the level on its own. In one example, the level required me to collect 8 goo balls to continue to the next area. The OCD challenge required me to collect 36 goo balls. Again, this challenge is fine but the game does you no favors. You can't (easily) retry the level after you collect the first 8 goo balls. In order to even get the menu to pop up after collecting 8 goo balls and noticing I was going to fall short, I had to click, and then read, one of the in-game signs. There is no "retry" button after you complete a level so if you follow through and just finish you have to go back to the world map and then reselect the level you just finished. It would also be nice here to have something that tracked the goo balls that hadn't been used. This would save a lot of time as you would know exactly how many balls were left and how many more you could use before you had to start the level all over again.

The game offers an "undo" feature in these little time-warp bugs that generate every once in a while. Clicking on the bug steps back in time to the point where the bug was spawned. The main problem here is that it can be a pain to click on the bugs as they fly around the level, sometimes they end up right on top of my goo structure. Additionally, the bugs don't always go back to where they should, at least it seemed that way. It was common to rewind time and see my tower spasm wildly into the walls and spinning blades.

Moving the goo around is also pretty frustrating. Hovering over a goo ball stops it's movement even if it's in front of different type of goo ball. There were many times where I either destroyed my structure or missed critical timing because I couldn't select the goo ball I wanted. When you pick up the goo balls, you have to maneuver them around the objects in the world, which is generally fine, but at times is incredibly frustrating. At one point I had about 15 balls fall off of my structure and I had to drag them each individually up to the structure in order to finish the level.

World of Goo also has a gameplay mode that lets you build an infinitely tall tower of goo. This would be cool if you got anything for building a taller and taller structure but all it seems to do is allow you to compete with other people. The goo you collect from the "story" part of the game gets sent to the Corporation of Goo where you build the infinite tower. It would be nice if building a taller and taller tower unlocked something or other because otherwise there's no motivation to even use this part of the game.

The art is really nice, and one of the reasons I didn't mark this as low as I had initially thought. One small problem with the art art is that, at times, it's difficult to distinguish between the level's background and things like spinning gears that will destroy your goo structure and the goo balls themselves. It's also tough to distinguish between level boundaries and walls that you can use to prop up your structure. If the tower collapses and hits a wall, part of it is destroyed.

The music is good as well but there's no option to turn it off. The game lacks customization options in general and the full-screen key combination isn't even explained, I had to look it up online. To mute the music and play with my own I had to download a custom DLL that let me control the volume of the sound effects and the music - controls that should have been in the game by default. Changing the resolution required editing a config file, which is more than ridiculous for a fairly casual game like WoG.

All in all, this game frustrated the hell out of me. Not because the concept was frustrating, or even the gameplay, the UI and overall system built around the gameplay is what turned me off. There are features missing that are expected in modern puzzle games and features missing that are expected in modern games in general. The fact that this is an indie title is no excuse for a lack of a sound/volume menu, or the lack of a timer when challenges require you to finish a level within a time limit.
  15. DerekL
    Oct 16, 2009
    This is not a fun game. Sure, the soundtrack is charming, the little goo noises are charming for ten seconds, the signs are slightly funny, but those are World of Goo's only claims to fame. WoG is the type of game that makes you want to pound your head on your keyboard until the letters QWERTY are imprinted backwards on your very soul. The first few levels are doable, but levels 5+ This is not a fun game. Sure, the soundtrack is charming, the little goo noises are charming for ten seconds, the signs are slightly funny, but those are World of Goo's only claims to fame. WoG is the type of game that makes you want to pound your head on your keyboard until the letters QWERTY are imprinted backwards on your very soul. The first few levels are doable, but levels 5+ are just so darned frustrating you want to rip your hair out and suffocate the little balls. Even the "free build" level is frustrating! The story? What story!? It's like someone with altzimers trying to recite To Be or Not to Be from memory. Seriously, there is no plot other than a stupid side-story about goo balls, a pipe, and some weird things (I can't call them people) drawn by a preschooler that talk by squeaking. If you buy this game, know that your money could be better spent on Trine or Braid; even a lifetime supply of gumballs would be better than this idiotic indie. Expand
  16. Orion
    Nov 29, 2008
    One word describes this physics-based puzzle game : Epic. It is so well polished that you feel like you are playing a $50 game. This game is for the ages, telling the grand kids about time for the smart gamer wasn't over in 2008. All of the puzzles are difficult without being impossible. OCD challenges will make you have to bend the in-game physics to your will like a god to completeOne word describes this physics-based puzzle game : Epic. It is so well polished that you feel like you are playing a $50 game. This game is for the ages, telling the grand kids about time for the smart gamer wasn't over in 2008. All of the puzzles are difficult without being impossible. OCD challenges will make you have to bend the in-game physics to your will like a god to complete them, but when you do it, you'll jump with celebration. Story is funny and cute and emotionally grabbing. Graphics are perfect and fit along the story like a glove. Music is incredible.
    For an added challenge, buy it for the Wii.
    BUY it NOW!!!
  17. Sep 24, 2010
    This game reminded me a lot of Portal. A little short, but very fun. There are a lot of nice touches, clever puzzles and well crafted gameplay. I was pleasantly surprised by the new levels and the way the game progressed. I really enjoyed it, and have recommended it to all my gamer friends.
  18. Dec 23, 2010
    First I would like to state that I am not a indie addict by any means (ok I just bough humble bundle 2, but thatâ
  19. Feb 6, 2012
    This is an Amazing game. Although it can be hard at times, it can really be satisfying to beat them. The game has great comical graphics (you don't need ultra-crysis realism to have good graphics, it just has to look good). It has funny little sounds for the goos. It is comical down to the core. The only time you will wouldn't like it is if you try the OCD.
  20. Dec 28, 2013
    This game is an old-school click-point-build game. It utilizes the "stretchiness" of goo to make you think about your blob placements. I would be lying if i said it wasn't strategic and thought-provoking. I bought it on Wii for the high rating about 2 years ago, and I re-purchased it on Steam sale just now. I beat it then, and I intend to beat it again (albeit Wii controller is much harderThis game is an old-school click-point-build game. It utilizes the "stretchiness" of goo to make you think about your blob placements. I would be lying if i said it wasn't strategic and thought-provoking. I bought it on Wii for the high rating about 2 years ago, and I re-purchased it on Steam sale just now. I beat it then, and I intend to beat it again (albeit Wii controller is much harder than mouse controls, aka if you are considering computer purchase, you have no reason not to buy.) This game is so good, thought-wise (physics), good music, good SFX, good concept, challenging (but not without retries), innovative, and fun. I will say it is rather bland and dark, but it is extremely rewarding in its gameplay.

However I cannot give it above a 7-8 because it doesn't take more time than that to complete the game.
  21. Feb 22, 2013
    World of goo is a sweet and charming, yet a powerful and engrossing experience. The art and overall character is engaging, and the music is sublime. The story, while quite simple, works well to draw you in to the world, but never upstages the experience. The story even takes a few moments to explore some deeper issues such as beauty and ethics, if that sort of thing appeals to you. But ifWorld of goo is a sweet and charming, yet a powerful and engrossing experience. The art and overall character is engaging, and the music is sublime. The story, while quite simple, works well to draw you in to the world, but never upstages the experience. The story even takes a few moments to explore some deeper issues such as beauty and ethics, if that sort of thing appeals to you. But if all you want is a simple physics puzzler, this game will also deliver. The gameplay channels some classic puzzle games, particularly lemmings, but modernized with a simple physics engine. The game while short is probably exactly as long as it needs to be while there are plenty of types of gooballs and game possibilities, any more playtime would have probably worn out the game's freshness.
    To split hairs, there are a few things this game could do bettter. A common complaint, and well warranted, is that when there are heaps of gooballs swarming in one area, it's sometimes hard to pick the one you need. Also, while the music is beautiful, the game could stand to have a few more tracks. Another minor criticism is that some of the animations in the cutscenes are a bit poor.
    Finally and this is purely subjective I very quickly got sick of building huge towers and bridges. When I've already worked out the solution to a level, I feel very frustrated if I then also have to spend 5 minutes meticulously building a structure just to make a minor error and have the whole thing collapse and force me to start again. (In my opinion, the challenge in puzzle games should be more about working out the solution than mastering the technique to pull it off)
    But I hate to end this on a bad note, so I will say that this is a unique, beautiful at times artistic game that should really be in everybody's game library.
  22. AWG
    Jul 27, 2013
    It seems the general consensus for this game is "You love it or you hate it". I didn't hate it but I didn't love it either: World of Goo is a cute, original indie game with a good set of graphics, but it never hits the nail on the head. It's pretty, yeah, but pretty forgettable too.
  23. Jul 15, 2014
    I didn't enjoy it at all..it was stunning for the first 2 minutes... then I realized that it wad bad.Don't bother it's not a game.U won't enjoy it as puzzle game
  24. ChrisH
    May 23, 2009
    The scores this game has recieved so far are ridiculous. This game is getting bonus points for being "indie", it shouldn't have been anywhere close to being a contender for game of the year. I'm not knocking the game, its fun for a few hours, the gameplay is fairly solid (though by no means perfect), but stick the word "indie" in there somewhere and suddenly everyones bumping up The scores this game has recieved so far are ridiculous. This game is getting bonus points for being "indie", it shouldn't have been anywhere close to being a contender for game of the year. I'm not knocking the game, its fun for a few hours, the gameplay is fairly solid (though by no means perfect), but stick the word "indie" in there somewhere and suddenly everyones bumping up the scores another 30%. Being "indie" shouldn't give a game a free pass. If this had been produced by a EA, you can bet the scores would have been around the 70-80% mark, where they should have been. Expand
  25. WilliamZ
    Jan 4, 2010
    Derek, I'm rather amused about your comment. The levels are not hard in any way, and person with a creative mind should figure out the levels. Each level is uniquely different, and require you to think differently. And yes, the last three levels are doable, you just have to think. I managed to beat the entire game skipping only once on Blustery Day, and then redoing it. The Derek, I'm rather amused about your comment. The levels are not hard in any way, and person with a creative mind should figure out the levels. Each level is uniquely different, and require you to think differently. And yes, the last three levels are doable, you just have to think. I managed to beat the entire game skipping only once on Blustery Day, and then redoing it. The soundtrack is also excellent, representing the mood at the scene. And this game is amazingly unique and creative. World of Goo is a must buy, and it only costs $15! Expand
  26. StephenS.
    Oct 15, 2008
    Great, fun, enjoyable game all around. Doesn't seem too long of a game, but I haven't finished it yet, so I can't say for sure. There's always the OCD challenges for each level so even if I finish I'm thinking about going back and getting what I can.
  27. ThomasPower
    Dec 1, 2008
    I think the game was very entertaining while it lasted, but loses a bit of replayabillity. The game is short, which I was very sad about. A larger company would have been able to make many more levels/challenge maps, but, sadly, this is not a big company. All in all I enjoyed this, but it would be much more worth the 20 bucks IF there were some extra levels released for people who hadI think the game was very entertaining while it lasted, but loses a bit of replayabillity. The game is short, which I was very sad about. A larger company would have been able to make many more levels/challenge maps, but, sadly, this is not a big company. All in all I enjoyed this, but it would be much more worth the 20 bucks IF there were some extra levels released for people who had purchased the game. (Maybe even another stage or two?)

7/10 for the length and lack of any costumization, including resolution. If you are running this on a laptop/widescreen, then you will have to play with everything fatter than normal.
  28. LudovitcheT
    Oct 28, 2009
    Amazing game. Knowing that so few people worked on it I could almost compare this to the 2-men revolution that was the first Prince of Persia... While blockbusters keep repeating themselves, from GTA 4 to Tom Clancy's X's war video game (I like these games, but... always the same !), the independant video game industry shows that some people can still innovate. Yet I put 9, I Amazing game. Knowing that so few people worked on it I could almost compare this to the 2-men revolution that was the first Prince of Persia... While blockbusters keep repeating themselves, from GTA 4 to Tom Clancy's X's war video game (I like these games, but... always the same !), the independant video game industry shows that some people can still innovate. Yet I put 9, I feel frustrated... Maybe I'm good at a video game for the first time ever :), but it was sooo short ! 5 chapters ? I would have needed 15 chapters to feel satisfied... that game kept me busy for 2 evenings only... I Hope new levels will come soon ! Expand
  29. FrazerSmith
    Feb 27, 2009
    Even though EA games pumps out a large amount of games each year, if you were to put all of them together they wouldn't even match the gameplay, creativity and fun of this game.
    The songs are brillaint, the graphics are cute and the gameplay itself requires you to use your brain unlike a certain big games developers' games.

2D boy know how to make a game, with "love".
  30. brandonraccoon
    Mar 22, 2009
    World of Goo is easily a perfect 10, as the only thing wrong with this game is many people still aren't playing it. While the game itself offers a good 12+ hours of play time in the standard story mode, the OCD/achievement system offers several additional days worth of value, and the endless building/tower stage will keep you playing, well, endlessly. The replay value after all of World of Goo is easily a perfect 10, as the only thing wrong with this game is many people still aren't playing it. While the game itself offers a good 12+ hours of play time in the standard story mode, the OCD/achievement system offers several additional days worth of value, and the endless building/tower stage will keep you playing, well, endlessly. The replay value after all of that remains incredibly high, too. The graphics are cute and stunning, the music is FUN, and the overall game play, story, levels and other odd twists those two guys tossed in keep the game fresh and fun and purely enjoyable, exactly what a game should be. World of Goo is the very definition of fun. Expand
  31. JamesS
    May 11, 2009
    I am just quite dumbfounded about the scores here. I am a huge fan of the puzzle genre and couldn't wait to play through this after coming here and reading up on it. What I found instead was a mildly interesting concept with an utterly disappointing presentation (I am a huge fan of in-game music and was thoroughly disappointed with the rave for this particular category). I was just I am just quite dumbfounded about the scores here. I am a huge fan of the puzzle genre and couldn't wait to play through this after coming here and reading up on it. What I found instead was a mildly interesting concept with an utterly disappointing presentation (I am a huge fan of in-game music and was thoroughly disappointed with the rave for this particular category). I was just not pulled in at all! I did not care for the Goos, I don't understand why something that tries to pass as a story is being told via in-game board signs. I am my no means asking you to skip this game but am merely suggesting that there is a niche of people that it will not resonate with. For my money and time, I'm sticking to Plants vs Zombies. Expand
  32. CableGuyF.
    Nov 8, 2008
    This is one of the best puzzle games made in a very long time. Everything is fun about it, the storyline, music, gameplay, simply perfect. Even more amazing, the fact that it was only made my a small amout of people, yet they still seemed to have the ideas of a huge gaming company. Fabulous.
  33. SirToad
    Dec 30, 2009
    It's a pretty decent puzzle game. It's not great, it's not bad. The design, music and sound effects are absolutely charming, but I had a few doubts for the gameplay. It's great to be given such a wide variety of goo balls, with all special abilities, but I just wish I was given more opportunities to actually use them! All levels are pretty unique, which is great, but It's a pretty decent puzzle game. It's not great, it's not bad. The design, music and sound effects are absolutely charming, but I had a few doubts for the gameplay. It's great to be given such a wide variety of goo balls, with all special abilities, but I just wish I was given more opportunities to actually use them! All levels are pretty unique, which is great, but sometimes I wish that there were more levels that were roughly the same, becoming more complex over time and asking you to use your goo balls skillfuly. There aren't a lot of hints too in the games, and you'll need to experiment from time to time in order to progress. Again, initially it isn't a bad thing but sometimes you'd wish there were more help around. Example, at some point you have to take the eyes out of a creature in order to use them as balloons for your goo balls, yet there wasn't the slightest clue (or else I must be worryingly blind) that suggested you to do so, I just found it out of clicking fustration. The general idea and design of the game makes it worthwhile, but it isn't a game that will stick in my mind as one of the greatest I've ever played. It's greatest flaw is that it's virtues are also vices. Expand
  34. SarahB
    May 23, 2009
    I personally thought this game was amazing. The music is great, the puzzles are great, the physics is flawless, and there's endless replay value. The best game of 2008.
  35. Mezzo
    Dec 29, 2008
    Definitely a shining example that there are still bright ideas still to come, and that all video games certainly aren't mindlessly repetitive things from the likes of Halo and such. The amount of work put into this game really shows, and it's just impossible for anyone to give it anything lower than a 10.

In short: This is up there on the scale of Perfection next to Portal.

In short: This is up there on the scale of Perfection next to Portal. It's 15$ on Steam before January 2, and you'd be damned not to take advantage of it.

It's just that great.
  36. PatrickG.
    Dec 30, 2008
    Perfect little game. And it will runs on about any platform even without a dedicated graphics and/or physics card. Plus it's lacking the kind of DRM, Phone Home Spyware Components, Daily Online Activation or 50-Digit Serial Numbers that the big Players insist on using to torture their paying customers with. Buy it and buy a copy for a good friend and support people who actually care Perfect little game. And it will runs on about any platform even without a dedicated graphics and/or physics card. Plus it's lacking the kind of DRM, Phone Home Spyware Components, Daily Online Activation or 50-Digit Serial Numbers that the big Players insist on using to torture their paying customers with. Buy it and buy a copy for a good friend and support people who actually care about their customers. Expand
  37. NinjaHedge
    Dec 11, 2009
    I would say that this is a VERY entertaining game. For the $5 I bought it through Steam (discount on Black Friday) it has been worth at least double that! The puzzles are fun, although some ARE indeed frustrating (especially not being able to make things strait, or make cross bracing with any regularity). The Sign Painters signs and the mild social commentary are cute and well made and I would say that this is a VERY entertaining game. For the $5 I bought it through Steam (discount on Black Friday) it has been worth at least double that! The puzzles are fun, although some ARE indeed frustrating (especially not being able to make things strait, or make cross bracing with any regularity). The Sign Painters signs and the mild social commentary are cute and well made and brough a smile to my face. i sincerely hope they make additional lvels, or make a user content section to allow special puzzles that let you solve them on your time in your way. only downside is that once you have achieved the goal, you can not replay or use the flashback thingers to make it get more extra goo-balls. I have had several times where I have lost dozens because I over reached the end and saw them plummet, only to barely meet the goal and not be able to restart.... I say this is NOT worth $20, but $15 would be the fair price I would call on this. Any lower for this, and you do NOT get it, do not call yourself a puzzle player. Expand
  38. MarkB
    Mar 25, 2009
    I've played a lot of stuff over the past year or so, mostly on my Xbox 360 and PC, but for me World of Goo beats everything else hands down for sheer fun factor. Fallout 3, Deadspace, Fable II, Mirrors Edge, Crysis and Prince Of Persia have been amazing experiences in their own way (well, maybe not Fable II) but they just can't match World Of Goo for its pick-up-and-play I've played a lot of stuff over the past year or so, mostly on my Xbox 360 and PC, but for me World of Goo beats everything else hands down for sheer fun factor. Fallout 3, Deadspace, Fable II, Mirrors Edge, Crysis and Prince Of Persia have been amazing experiences in their own way (well, maybe not Fable II) but they just can't match World Of Goo for its pick-up-and-play simplicity and joyously creative execution. It maybe even tops the wonderful Braid... And I've only just completed the first chapter! I've had a huge smile on my face nearly the whole time when building my wobbly towers and bridges. Aside from the fiendishly fun gameplay, the engaging art, animation and interface are excellent, and the music is the absolutely brilliant icing on the cake. And I can't believe I got it for just a few quid on Steam. Thank you 2D Boy... you've made me realise again how much fun gaming can be! Expand
  39. RichardS.
    Jun 26, 2009
    World of Goo's innovative game play created a unique game play experience that me laugh, gawk, laugh some more and even a little sad. Once I had beaten the game I considered going through and getting all the "OCD" requirements, but about half way through the game I decided I simply wanted to experience Goo again; I promptly removed it and then reinstalled it, and played through the World of Goo's innovative game play created a unique game play experience that me laugh, gawk, laugh some more and even a little sad. Once I had beaten the game I considered going through and getting all the "OCD" requirements, but about half way through the game I decided I simply wanted to experience Goo again; I promptly removed it and then reinstalled it, and played through the entire game, again, in one sitting. World of Goo is proof that a game doesn't have to have marvelous graphics, the best multiplayer and matchmaking or even a solid plot line to be considered one of the best modern games. 100% recommended for any age, any player of any experience level. Expand
  40. BryanB.
    Nov 25, 2008
    What a treat this game is! It is positively brilliant, clever, fun, and it begs for a sequel or two. Most of the criticisms I've read are rubbish and really expose how amateur most game critics are allowed to get away with being. I especially like the EuroGamer summary above. My only criticism is that it ended. Note that I didn't say the game was too short, which means something What a treat this game is! It is positively brilliant, clever, fun, and it begs for a sequel or two. Most of the criticisms I've read are rubbish and really expose how amateur most game critics are allowed to get away with being. I especially like the EuroGamer summary above. My only criticism is that it ended. Note that I didn't say the game was too short, which means something different. I was just disappointed when it was over that it couldn't go on a little longer. But really, that's underhanded praise and not a criticism at all. Expand
  41. Spliter
    Dec 19, 2008
    The game is a brilliant game from the menu screen up to the very end of the credits. The music is top shelf, elevating the atmosphere, and it blends magnificently with the graphics, story and gameplay itself. This game has definitely became one of my favorite games of all time. Story is simple and entertaining, brought to you by The Sign Painter, and the available Obsessive CompletionThe game is a brilliant game from the menu screen up to the very end of the credits. The music is top shelf, elevating the atmosphere, and it blends magnificently with the graphics, story and gameplay itself. This game has definitely became one of my favorite games of all time. Story is simple and entertaining, brought to you by The Sign Painter, and the available Obsessive Completion Distinction achievements with the meta game that allows you to build a giant tower of goo will definitely entertain you after you've finished the main story. Expand
  42. T.S.PJ
    Dec 29, 2008
    I have in my Steam list two kinds of game; the kind that is epic and I can play for hours, such as Bioshock, the Half-Life series, and then there are the much smaller games that you can dabble with but ultimately are likely to tire of either after you finish them a few times, or just get over them. This game strike a remarkable middle-ground I'd not thought possible. Whilst being I have in my Steam list two kinds of game; the kind that is epic and I can play for hours, such as Bioshock, the Half-Life series, and then there are the much smaller games that you can dabble with but ultimately are likely to tire of either after you finish them a few times, or just get over them. This game strike a remarkable middle-ground I'd not thought possible. Whilst being comparitively short, the story is truely wonderful - something you wouldn't expect from a small puzzle game. To this end it is extremely dark, and the end will probably leave you with a couple of questions. Even though this game by no means has infinite replayability, when faced with a choice of similar games, this is probably the one I for one would play through again. After perhaps an hour or two, you may tire of it and it's probably best to walk away for a bit, make a sandwich, and try to avoid the Tetris Effect - but soon you'll want to be right back in there. So excuse me, but I've still gotta get the OCD achievements. -Epic Metacritic; The Sign Painter. Expand
  43. FilipK.
    Dec 31, 2008
    I didn't expect anything special from that game, but it really surprised me very positively. This game isn't the same all the time, there are some turning points, it's a true revolution. Fantastic idea, a little psychodelic climate, marvelous handmade-like graphics, that remind me best LucasArts adventure games (Curse of Monkey Island, for example) make this game one of the I didn't expect anything special from that game, but it really surprised me very positively. This game isn't the same all the time, there are some turning points, it's a true revolution. Fantastic idea, a little psychodelic climate, marvelous handmade-like graphics, that remind me best LucasArts adventure games (Curse of Monkey Island, for example) make this game one of the greatest from a genre and absolute evergreen (I'm sure we will still play it years after release). Additionally, it's cheap and has low requirements. You just MUST play it. We're waiting for the second part! Expand
  44. Dec 15, 2010
    This game is beyond description, each level makes you feel brilliant, with their own twist, it has an unseen morale, and so much more! It is beyond our limited vocabulary for me to fully describe to you a minor glimpse of this game!
  45. Jun 26, 2011
    Very unique, and entertaining... A good game for almost any age, even a 3 year old! It's a game that makes you think a little more than just "react & shoot", and that's a Plus+ :)
  46. Mar 23, 2011
    This game... is brilliant... It struck emotions in me that most mainstream games never can do. I found it more emotional than Heavy Rain, and the weird thing is that the story isn't really that structured. It really is just stuff happening, but I think that the music had a lot to do with it. The Sign Painter's signs are probably one of the best parts of the game too. Reading those signsThis game... is brilliant... It struck emotions in me that most mainstream games never can do. I found it more emotional than Heavy Rain, and the weird thing is that the story isn't really that structured. It really is just stuff happening, but I think that the music had a lot to do with it. The Sign Painter's signs are probably one of the best parts of the game too. Reading those signs always adds a bit of humor, and sometimes it even adds some bits of other emotions, like hopelessness and despair. World of Goo has solid gameplay, the levels can become a bit difficult but a calm head can get you through it. If you really can't beat a level, you can skip it and do it later. And it's not based on luck solely, there's a lot of strategy to this game. Expand
  47. Jul 3, 2011
    Very realistic physics engine and the adding-on-more-to-the-game methods are both very solid. I thoroughly enjoyed the game, but something about the real and illusion of physics in this game brings my score lower than what most people might agree on...
  48. Feb 14, 2012
    WORLD OF GOO: This is one of those games that I really like to play when got bored with my daily lives. OK... Here's World of Goo. It's a physics-based puzzle game where you construct goos so that they can made it into the end point which is the pipe. That's pretty much the whole explanation. There are various goo types as you play. There are the baloon goos (or maybe they are actualWORLD OF GOO: This is one of those games that I really like to play when got bored with my daily lives. OK... Here's World of Goo. It's a physics-based puzzle game where you construct goos so that they can made it into the end point which is the pipe. That's pretty much the whole explanation. There are various goo types as you play. There are the baloon goos (or maybe they are actual baloons), there are the removeable goos, trasparent goos, and soo many more. Even with the simple gameplay, you still need your brain right here though not fully. Maybe because you mindlessly construct goos. But this game actually requires strategy and prediction in the later levels. The overall gameplay is very fun, though it can get hard sometimes. Surprisingly this game has a very interesting personality on itself. The game is just making fun of things and not taking it too seriously. Yeah, it's maybe a little mindless, but it's still fun to play. So far, the only problem i got on this game is that it spoils how many chapters are on this game. Though, this game still can hook you up with like 30-40 hours. OVERALL: This is an awesome game. I have a fun times playing with it as a casual gamer. Puzzle game fans should definitely check it out. It's pretty cheap right now so why don't you buy it!. Oh, and it works really well on any netbook so you can bring it anywhere. [8/10] "Awesome" Expand
  49. Aug 1, 2012
    Considering that basically the entire game was created by TWO PEOPLE, i can't think of anyway that this game could have been made better. Some people are complaining about price, which doesn't do the game justice in itself.
  50. May 15, 2015
    A vanguard work of art still rooted in old videogame conventions.

The Good: Artstyle, cutscenes and music are phenomenal; sharp humor and smart twists The Bad: Controls and physics doesn't match the game's difficulty Raised upon a little physics proof-of-concept (called Tower of Goo, still available for download in the old 2D Boy's site) World of Goo was a major agent of the indie
    A vanguard work of art still rooted in old videogame conventions.

The Bad: Controls and physics doesn't match the game's difficulty

Raised upon a little physics proof-of-concept (called Tower of Goo, still available for download in the old 2D Boy's site) World of Goo was a major agent of the indie takeover 7 years ago. Much like many of its contemporaries it gets half the job astoundily well done--the artsy one--but doesn't quite nail the core gameplay content that smartly.

On the bright side there's plenty to be proud of: presentation overall is plain superb--both music and graphics are a testimony of a very cohesive art direction--and everything sums up nicely to serve the plot--or at least the philosophic dialogue it proposes if we can't agree it has a proper plot.

On the other hand the developers couldn't help restricting the player's resources as if it was a classic hardcore game. Physics here are way too loose to ask the player the precision and swiftness the levels so constantly demand, goo balls are often too limited in number and as they grow in variety it gets tougher to pick the right one from the crowd, and checkpoints (despite the smart "undo" concept) work poorly. (Using OCDs for triggering Achievements sits on top of that as well.)

The game sometimes try to make up for those frustration moments by offering alternate paths in the maps but they're often useless since it eventually forces you to get back to the avoided levels before allowing you to progress anyway.

World of Goo weights in the "games as art" debate but does so by improving the usual external assets related to that instead of improving interactivity--the main feature that makes the medium unique for exploring new forms of art.
  51. Dec 3, 2012
    Updated review: Finished game except for the bonus hard levels. Fun game. Absolutely worth playing. Original review: This is a cool physics based game. To Radio - Re the Tower of Goo Level - Don't just build straight up - come back down to the bottom to solidify your base so that it doesn't rock back and forth so much and fall. If it's shaking too much adding spokes at the bottom toUpdated review: Finished game except for the bonus hard levels. Fun game. Absolutely worth playing. Original review: This is a cool physics based game. To Radio - Re the Tower of Goo Level - Don't just build straight up - come back down to the bottom to solidify your base so that it doesn't rock back and forth so much and fall. If it's shaking too much adding spokes at the bottom to stabilize helps alot. Think Pyramid instead of Obelisk (sp?). Pay attention to the balance and build away from the lean. Don't worry about building fast at first until you formulate a stable strategy. I've only played a few hours so far, but the one level "in between" where you're building a bridge without sagging too low or floating too high - I did find the gui to get in the way because timing does matter quite a bit there - I'd often try to grab a balloon to try to stop the bridge from falling too low, or a blob to stop it from floating too high - and grab the wrong thing. Frustrating, but they do give the back a move option that sometimes might help (not always though due to timing) Expand
  52. Jan 7, 2012
    I never though building things out of talking balls of snot would be fun but it was. World of Goo is a great mix of a beautiful scenario and sound effects. The game does get very challenging later on so it isn't exactly something just everyone can play, but all in all it was very fun. I ended up buying it for my kids but I had to help them so much I might as well had been playing it forI never though building things out of talking balls of snot would be fun but it was. World of Goo is a great mix of a beautiful scenario and sound effects. The game does get very challenging later on so it isn't exactly something just everyone can play, but all in all it was very fun. I ended up buying it for my kids but I had to help them so much I might as well had been playing it for them full time. Expand
  53. Nov 7, 2012
    This game, is probably the most fun I've had in a long time. I can't even begin to describe the perfection of this game. Graphics and scenery are beautiful, the music is so delicate, and the gameplay is so smooth and fun to play. I would highly recommend this game.
  54. Nov 26, 2012
    Insanely good game from start to the very end. Gameplay is smooth and easy to controll and puzzles get very interesting and challenging along the way. It has just the right amount of dificulty. The soundtrack is one of the best in a sea of amazing indie game tracks. The slow story unfolding is perfectly paced and is very interesting to follow to see where it leads with an amazingInsanely good game from start to the very end. Gameplay is smooth and easy to controll and puzzles get very interesting and challenging along the way. It has just the right amount of dificulty. The soundtrack is one of the best in a sea of amazing indie game tracks. The slow story unfolding is perfectly paced and is very interesting to follow to see where it leads with an amazing ending. This is one of my favorite indie games and I have a lot. Expand
  55. Aug 24, 2014
    I had previously reviewed the Wii version. Now that I have the PC version too, I think it's safe to say that there really isn't much of a difference.

Pros: Online leaderboards and achievements

Cons: No multiplayer, unlike the Wii.

Still, great indie title. 8/10
  56. 4DI
    Nov 18, 2012
    A puzzle game, that raises the bar for all future puzzle games.
  57. May 12, 2013
    You can't say you didn't have fun with this game, really, it's hard. Lovable art styles fun and challenging puzzles with a great soundtrack as well. There are also 'challenge modes' on each levels called OCDs, these are challenging and a worthy challenge. I would get this game on the pc rather than on the iPhone though. Either way, two thumbs up.
  58. Jan 28, 2013
    This game is one of a kind. It takes thinking games to a whole new level. The only thing I did not like about the game is there were some levels that seemed impossible and I could not figure out how to get past them. I used www.worldofgooguide.com for the levels that made me want to rage quit! Minus the frustration, I love the game and recommend it to any one who likes a simple yetThis game is one of a kind. It takes thinking games to a whole new level. The only thing I did not like about the game is there were some levels that seemed impossible and I could not figure out how to get past them. I used www.worldofgooguide.com for the levels that made me want to rage quit! Minus the frustration, I love the game and recommend it to any one who likes a simple yet complicated game. Expand
  59. Jan 30, 2013
    Very original idea and great gameplay. I have this game on my PC and Android, which both this is fun to play :) Levels are quite difficult, just needs to be clever and fast.
  60. Dec 20, 2013
    For an indi game its awesome and very fun. Game uses unique mechanics, giving you puzzles to solve. I reccomend this! By the way, there are discounts for it in Steam atm.
  61. Oct 12, 2013
    Best Indie Game Ever If you havent played that game so you made a great mistake of all your gaming life The music ,,the art the gameplay its a deep experience that you will never forget
  62. Nov 20, 2013
    The physics are great and the prospect seems fantastic… But, I just despise it! Now don’t take that the wrong way because the game looks great (aside from the complete lack of resolution options) has an interesting objective and is a new experience for the puzzle genre… It just really annoys me beyond belief because this is too difficult and too frustrating for a puzzle greenhorn likeThe physics are great and the prospect seems fantastic… But, I just despise it! Now don’t take that the wrong way because the game looks great (aside from the complete lack of resolution options) has an interesting objective and is a new experience for the puzzle genre… It just really annoys me beyond belief because this is too difficult and too frustrating for a puzzle greenhorn like myself! I have never really liked games that have a fundamental principal of making you think! I don’t think too good! I really can only recommend this game to puzzle game fans and those who enjoy building stable structures out of goo balls… Expand
  63. Jan 19, 2014
    Beautiful game. Gameplay is straightforward and fun. Art design is adorable yet stylish. Well the music ... give the atmosphere another great boost!
    This is the kind of game will always stay in my hard-disk.
    People who can't take a little challenge in a casual indie game? Well, there's a genre of games called "interactive fiction"
  64. Jun 10, 2014
    Otro de los buques insignia de los videojuegos indie. Gráficos muy pulidos, mecánicas sencillas, curva de dificultad bastante nivelada. A los niños les encanta y debería estar en tu colección.
  65. Jun 25, 2014
    Short game, cheap game, and worth a try. Some puzzles are challenging, and require skill. The whole concept is a good idea and you'll have fun as long as it lasts.
  66. Dec 4, 2014
    This was my first ever pc game. No other pc game has ever mounted up to, or even gotten close to how awesome this game is. I love every aspect about it, and I played it until 10:00 PM to get the next level. Wow. Amazing OST, smooth gameplay, and SCREW not being able to customize it fully. It's Perfect the way it is.
  67. Jan 17, 2015
    World of Goo is one of those games that fill a category hole you never thought existed.

"A comedy-structure building 2D platformer? You know what, I do need that in my life!" However, under its simple premise as a 2D puzzle-platformer, it also harbours a fantastic mix of an up-beat and atmospheric soundtrack, and great landscapes. The story is minimal, but it is relayed to you

The story is minimal, but it is relayed to you from the witty and notorious Sign Painter, who always has something to say, either about gameplay hints, or about philosophical musings of the goo-balls themselves.

These goo-balls are guided by your mouse, as you pick them up and place them strategically to form beam-like structures, to be able to reach your goal (a suction pipe in a difficult to reach place, most often). You'll come across goo-balls that behave differently, in changing environments.

It will test your resolution towards the later areas of the game, and there are the harder challenges in each level for the completionists out there.

8 goo balls out of 10.
  68. Feb 6, 2015
    Amazingly cute game with clever puzzles, outstanding art style and soundtrack that offers genuinely fun gameplay. Definitely a game I would recommend for young and mature gamers.

I completed the game multiple times, and then went for the OCD challanges. I can't seem to get tired of this game! I'd love to see some expansion or continuation for it at some point.
  69. Aug 2, 2011

1. The members of 2D Boy should be carried around in chariots while this glory lasts - because at some point, they're going to realise what a murderously high standard they've set for themselves, and run away forever.
    World of Goo's mix of ingenious physics-based puzzles and witty, colorful presentation make it a game almost everyone should check out. It goes by fast -- you can get through most of the puzzles in 5-6 hours -- but for $20, there's little excuse not to check out this World.
  3. Masterfully done, and certainly set to become an instant Wii and PC cult hit. [Dec 2008, p.98]