5.1

1. Jun 3, 2011
    This is one of the most greedy "Free to play" games around. It's free if you wish to grind for 3 months to get to tier 8 tanks. I did in open beta, it's really boring. In the release, it's very EASY to spend 100$ a month on this game or more. The game recently introduced 2 tanks that are ~40$ each, and are ridiculously overpowered. So you either get those tanks to compete OR buy premium ammo to shoot at them at 2-4 cents per shot. Even those shots still bounce half the time. In terms of fun, the game has good moments, but those are rare. Most of the matches are predictable and newer players would have a terrible time playing low level tanks matched against 6+ month veteran ace tanks. Can you say R.A.P.E? This is what this game would feel to you, unless you spend a ton of money and buy premium account and one of the 40$ premium tanks.... Expand
  2. Feb 10, 2012
    One thing you may have noticed is how I tend to ignore MMO's; they just don't appeal to me for some reason. "World of Tanks" sounds like another isometric 'RTS' game where the outcome of battles is resolved by showing you a bunch of numbers and classes without anything else. WoT however is a very finely crafted MMO with plenty of variety to keep you engaged. Graphics and sound are excellent for a free game and the battlefields are interesting without being too campy. However, balancing can be a real issue: with some occasions where your new vehicle is significantly weaker or slower than your previous one with one meager benefits. Premium tanks are also a bit unbalanced, as is the whole gold system. Nitpicking isn't helpful however, and I'm going to finish by saying that if you're into tanks or strategy, WoT is definately worth a look despite its inevitable balancing issues. 77%. Expand
  3. Nov 5, 2012
    I give this title a base score of 5 points simply for being original. Now the graphics are very well done. The audio is fantastic. The ballistics are very nice. The controls are very responsive. The maps are a great deal of fun. And lastly, you can do just fine in this game and never spend any real money. It isn't pay to win. There is some grinding to rank up to new tiers but isn't that what we do when we play anyway? Overall I give the game a 9 because there is still room for improvement. Great fun. Expand
  4. Aug 19, 2011
    Theres seriously nothing like World of Tanks. It starts out slow, and starts to chime in about after an hour or two of gameplay. Overall, it's a very remarkable game. You start out with no cash, and no real tutorial and a bunch of simple controls, nothing complicated or special. The tank controls itself are nice, it remains smooth and customizable through the 'upgrade' system-- there are a bunch of combinations too for several gameplay styles or preferences. Balance wise, the game tends to be too rewarding to people who buy 'gold'. Everything from slightly better tanks, more powerful ammo and the ability to host a platoon (group/party) with more than one friend (Yeah.. seriously) costs gold. However, the in-game cash system is exceptionally fair, the amount of cash you can obtain per game tends to be a lot, there are also very helpful 'power ups' that are near priceless when in combat, these do not cost gold, but are very expensive. The game itself is very, very team dependent, 90% of games I've played I either hear people whining or not developing any form of strategy, it's very quiet and tends to be awkward. Overall, I would give it a try it's free, theres nothing to lose. If you love strategy games or just want to try something new try out World Of Tanks. Expand
  5. Dec 6, 2013
    World of Tanks is fun if you are looking for a first person shooter where your character is a tank. After some time becomes a boring repetitive experience. Keep in mind that this is a free game and, for a free game is good.

At first it looks like an amazing game, it looks very fun and dynamic, after a while you get to mid tier tanks, still fun enough but you start noticing some
    discrepancies and tank balance problems.
    With time, frustration starts to build up, some poor map design, huge unbalance, pay to win tanks, and so on, but, it's still a nice game to keep playing.
    When you get to higher tier tanks, the game suddenly becomes slow and boring and the randomness of the game starts to weight a lot. By the time I reached the top tier tanks I just couldn't play this game anymore.

Something that really annoys me is that when you buy a new tank, the stock gear is really really bad, you can barely do anything, even against same tier tanks, it becomes a boring grinding until after many games where you have almost no influence, you get the points to get the best gear.

The spotting mechanics are very odd, this game doesn't work by line of sight, instead the tank and crew "skills" define if you see or not targets, and, while this looks nice in paper, its really not in practice. Also, after you get spotted, even if you hide, the enemy can see where you are for a few seconds, this might sound like its not a big deal, but it is, if you play the game you will understand.

Another very odd thing is artillery. Artillery is like the sniper role, but the difference is, it fires a very powerful round that can reach most of the map, it causes massive damage even if doesn't hit, it can kill with one hit if it hits, and this unit is safe behind enemy "lines" hidden away from danger, which is in my opinion the very definition of game unbalance, which is enhanced by the bad spotting mechanics.

Considering that this is a free game, I recommend trying it out, if it wasn't free I would give it a much lower score.
  6. May 19, 2013
    World of Tanks is a great free2play title for several reasons:
    - Production values are great the graphics are very nice, gameplay is solid, quick reflexes are welcome bonus, yet far from necessity and you'd have to really suck at games in general not to get the hang of it during the first few matches. And you don't have to pay a dime for it.
    - You don't need to pay to win. Throwing money
    at the game will get you faster progress, less grinding. You won't get any significant advantages in combat. Only very few items that can be bought for gold (acquired for real money) cannot also be bought in some form for credits you make by playing the game. Only extra garage slots and premium tanks come to mind.
    - You are likely to throw some money at it anyway, simply because it feels like a full retail game experience that deserves to be paid for. (I may have spent around 150$ on the game over some 4 months, as far as I am concerned it was worth it. I don't really like grinding... or selling tanks I like, so, yeah a lot of garage slots were bought.)

Eventualy though, somewhere around tier 7 vehicles (out of 10) your tanks will start to make less credits than the costs of repairs and ammo refills, so you will have to either grind credits with lower tiered tanks, or pay for premium account, which gives you +50% credits/xp. So far I have just one tier 7 tank (Porshe Tiger) and unless I do at least average damage in a match, I lose credits on it.

Personally although I somewhat enjoy playing the Porshe Tiger, most of my favourite tanks are in fact tier 3 vehicles (most favourite being 38t). And you can get to tier 3 within a few hours.

What pisses me the most about WoT (besides scouting) is... the players..uhm.. expressing their discomfort with abilities of their teammates. Matchmaking if fairly random, so outside high tier battles most your team will be bad regardless of what you end up with, so stop whining about it. And then there are czechs and to some extent polish people spamming chat with their crap. (And I am czech, so I know.) That in particular however won't be a problem unless you are from europe.

Well, World of Tanks is still pretty enjoyable in the long term even if you are not into online stuff, random battles means random maps/enemies/game modes and there is always a lot of strategies you may want to try out with current setup. Various medals are attained for exceptional perfromance and usually you feel well rewarded for your efforts. It can be annoying when you end up being the worst tank in the roster, or when someone one-shots you at the first clash, or when you can't hit a thing with the artillery, but in most cases the game is still fun, you just need to find yourself the tanks you enjoy playing.

Oh and by the way I got to World of Tanks through Girls und Panzer anime. I'd reccomend to everyone getting a GuP music pack, personally I find it way more appropriate and more enjoyble than the original music. Fans may also consider using some of the voice packs (I used to use Hippo team, now I roll with the Turtle) or some other GuP related mods.

Panzer vor!
  7. Oct 15, 2013
    A great MMO-styled game. I'm not going to say much except that it is a great game since all of the reviews here seem to be extremely critical for no reason other than the fact that they have no idea how to play the game. It would seem that most of the negative reviews here have two causes:

1. Reviewer is absoloutely brain dead and can't play well in any way whatsoever

2. Supposed
    glorification of Stalin

It would seem that the majority of the negative reviews here are about the glorification of Stalin. Are you serious? At least the mindless negative reviews for Company of Heroes 2 were somehow justifiable, but giving the game a 0/10 because a few employees supposedly decided to "glorify Stalin", something that I haven't even heard of them doing? None of you should even have the right to give the game a score.

Now I'll take the time to evaluate some of the critiques of the game that I have read thus far.

First of all, I haven't spent a single cent on this game. Yet, I always consistently do well in every match and I have above average statistics. My WoT account name is ChakLong on the Asia server in case you were wondering. You say the game is pay to win? You are wrong. Stop making excuses simply because you are not good at the game. I've played all the way up to Tier 7, and soon Tier 8 without buying gold or premium, and I never will. Why would you spend money for things that are free and easily attainable (unless you are simply a horrid player)?

There are many, many strategies out there on how to play the game and do well without being "forced" to buy gold. Yes, stock tanks don't do well. They are stock tanks. Were you expecting something different? Play well and you'll be fully upgraded in only a few rounds. Save up on your free experience when you are "forced" to grind instead of wasting it on unlocking tanks, and you'll easily get the stock tank to have top modules. What, your tank gets destroyed because you are driving around in the open like an idiot and not angling your armour or side-scraping, and your stock gun can't do anything against an enemy heavy that that is angled? If you learned to pick your targets and shoot weak spots, maybe you wouldn't be complaining.

Unbalanced tanks? There are only good tanks that you have no idea how to use. Apparently British heavy tanks aren't very good according to low-level players. But they are the only tanks I drive, and my stats beg to differ. Every tank has its merits, just because you don't know how to use a tank doesn't mean that it is underpowered. What, you are facing tanks that are of a higher tier, and you are oh so helpless? Just because you lack any knowledge of game mechanics or even common sense and are unable to use your brain does not mean the game itself is bad.

Now I will also address a completely ridiculous criticism: that it takes actual time and effort to unlock higher tier tanks. Should you just start World of Warcraft with the best gear and stats? Should you start Battlefield 3 with all guns, tools, and perks unlocked?

The simple fact is that higher tier tanks do not give you an advantage. They are simply new ways to play the game. A effortless way to differentiate an idiot or an ignorant player from someone with at least a small trace of intelligence is that an idiot would play the game just to unlock higher tier tanks because they are supposed to give you an edge in battle. It would appear you have no knowledge of how matchmaking works in this game. Additionally, if you play just to get higher tier tanks, you are completely missing the point of the game. You cannot complain about the game supposedly being a grindfest when you are playing the game with the purpose of grinding. Don't be hypocritical.

Frame rate and connection issues? Just because you are using a computer from 1990 and a dial-up connection doesn't mean the game isn't good.

I can't be bothered to continue to point out the ridiculous and overly-critical reviews on Metacritic for this game, and I also don't have the liberty to continue on due to the word limit for reviews. Once again, mindless mob-mentality destroys the credibility of "democratic" voting systems. "OMG some dudes glorified Stalin! THIS GAME R SUXORS! PAY2WIN OMG I CAN'T PLAY THIS GAME FOR BALLS SO IT IS BAD! OMG I'M BEING FORCED TO PAY TO PLAY!".

Now you might ask, why 9/10? Simply because it is not a revolutionary game that completely blew my mind. Full score reviews are given out so carelessly these days that, combined with the senseless mob reviews mentioned above, makes community scores from review sites such as Metacritic absolutely worthless. This is a great game, but not a perfect game, or one that amazed me so much to the point that it changed my life.

And remember, just because you can't play a game well because you are used to running around like an idiot in Call of Duty, doesn't make a game bad. It just means you are an idiot.
  8. Mar 22, 2012
    World of tanks is quite nice game for casual gaming. It's free and one will get his portion of fun. Dark side of the game is when you get to grind something. Higher tiers are (intentionaly) basically unplayable on their own without either premium account or having other tanks to support expenses. I would for sure recommend giving this game a try.
  9. Dec 26, 2012
    This is a weird game to play. In the beginning you love it and you want to keep playing to get that next tank. However, the higher you go the more you realize this game makes little sense. I've literally taken the same tank as my friend and we decided to shoot one another square on (in the same location). One deflected and the other destroyed the tank (Note: we targeted same location on each others tank [Hetzer]). Other issues are extremely poor matchmaking. You can't decide which game to join on your own but are forced to play depending on some random computer generated game. One team will have great players with amazing tanks and the other will have horrible tanks with bad players. On average one team with dominate the other. I also find that I was in plenty of battles where I was a teir 4 in a tier 8 battle. I can't understand why I would have been put in those battles. Overall, this game has fun points and I'm sure to keep playing but I think it's very lopsided and isn't far when it comes to tank battles. Expand
  10. May 2, 2014
    World of Tanks is a free first person/third person shooter with tanks, there are ways of paying for things to make it easier to advance, but the game can be played absolutely free, with lots of contests and festivities that will, or might, grant you "gold"(the most uses it gets is buying premium time, which gets you +50% more credits per battle and +50% crew experience, and buying garage slots and barracks enlargements). The game involves many skills: having reflexes like in any other popular FPS game, but it also involves a lot more tactic and planning. I think of it as a combination of chess and a shooting game would be the best way to describe it. The game offers tanks from many nations ranging from the 1930s to about the 1960s, with some model of tanks being totally speculative. The nations you can play, so far, are Germany, the Soviet Union, China, Great Britain, Japan, the United States of America and France, with more to be added in the following updates (and I'll note a part that I dislike: Nazi Germany, which of course doesn't get the historical flag, even got a ban on wartime German heroes, unlike the Soviet Union with Joseph Stalin and communist symbols). You start the game with tier 1 tanks, and progressively move up the technology tree(s) until you get to tier 10, and despite the name, there aren't only tanks(which can be light, medium or heavy), but also Tank Destroyers and (mobile) Artillery, each with a different role and purpose. The gameplay can differ dramatically from nation to nation, sometimes from tier to tier. It's not a newbie friendly game as it usually takes thousand of battles to form your battle "instincts", as I stated earlier, it's equally important to know how and when to shoot as it is to know where and how to go, positioning in this game can be the most important thing, depending on the role of your tank and the positions of your allies and enemies. The standard battles are 15 vs. 15(the game allows you to platoon with up to two friends if you so wish), with no nation versus nation, the match making only taking account of the battle tier of your specific tank(supposedly), this can lead up to teams being made up of vary bad players vs. teams with very good players, which is frustrating for most people(from personal experience the match making will also have "periods" of giving the player only bad teams, and it also "punishes" players that play a lot by giving them bad teams at one point, with the reason of not letting them "farm" win percentages(which doesn't make any sense to me as it punishes people that play their game). There are also many other single modes, and team modes(company battles, similar to random battles in size, but with handpicked teams; team battles, 7 vs. 7(where you can win as much credits as having a tier 8 premium tank, if you win of course, it's also the battle mode which is used in professional tournaments), and for people that want to belong in clans there are Clan Wars, also similar to team battles, but with tier 10(unless you want to give your team a disadvantage), and with a world map in which you can conquer provinces for gold and possibly other benefits. One should keep in mind that this is a game, and it's made to be balanced, tanks won't die from one hit, they have hit points, and lots of other factors to advantage people that use their brain for tactics and strategy. Overall this game is just "decent", neither bad or very good, so I can't give it more than 7 because the balance of the tanks isn't perfect(there always are some beasts that dominate the battlefield or 1 vs.1 encounters, such as the T18 for tier 2, KV-1S and Hellcat for tier 6, IS-3 and AMX 50 100 for tier 8, E-75 and ST-I for tier 9, WT auf E-100 for tier 10 etc.), the graphics aren't remarkable, the game doesn't support multicore computers(it just runs with a single core), the game modes aren't that enticing, except for team battles(which has a limitation to tier 8 max., no tanks above are seen unless it's a rare bug/exploit), the fact that it's not based on skill leads to the "balancing" of the tanks be set upon the mediocre/awful play of most players, which also leads to the teams being always more or less imbalanced, and the more imbalanced, the more frustration it generates to most of the players, it does however offer an interesting gameplay, the opportunity to use the brain on more than just reflex-type reactions and allows players to drive iconic tanks such as the Panzer IV, M4 Sherman, Tiger 1, T-34, IS etc. and for professional players it does end up giving them nice earnings, yet the developers still need to find a way to make said tournaments be attractive for larger audiences to watch AND understand what goes on the field of battle. Expand
  11. Jun 13, 2014
    This game ends up being at the top of the charts because of its base mechanics - driving the tank works, it's fun, intuitive and interesting. Yes, there are flaws; the match-making will drive you crazy and Putin (or someone else) has forced WarGaming into making some of the Russian tanks ridiculously strong and downgrade the German tanks from the strength they should have had. However, today the game is somewhat balanced and most of the time you can play a role in all battles as long as you choose the right one. It's not a free game if you want to really enjoy yourself (but games shouldn't be free) but you can't simply pay to win - that accusation is inaccurate. You can pay to have an advantage but it's not enough to replace skill.

If you like tanks or think it would be fun to drive one around and shoot at things, this is a great game to play. Whether you'll just mess around for a while and reach a casual middle tier game or if you'll work your way all the way up, hey, that's up to you. The tactical aspect and understanding of your vehicle adds for a very deep experience and even though your team will occasionally annoy you (welcome to playing online...), you'll generally enjoy yourself. Disregard stats and just focus on driving your tank, that's what the game is about.
  12. Mar 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amended review ~ Where to start with this one... I still play occasionally I have 15k+ games played, and a guild that can rub shoulders with the big boys but doesn't more often than not. Basics ~ 15 on 15 pvp matches Everyone plays a tank,spg,td or scout. Matches are near instant you click your tank ready you usually pay in 1 minute. Constant gratification It's kinda has a weird shaped enjoyment curve .. it's starts out great and then you start to get abused at tier 5-6. If you slog past this to tier 9/10 for simple love of the game and the genre you will continue to play. If not you will find better things to do with your time. It's a Russian game, which has it's pluses and minuses. Their original intent was to make WoW and they ended up with WoT. No clue how. So the bad first #1 The match maker is purposely trying to defeat you, you can change your fate through skill, teamwork and intuition, improvisation. But you will find that no one will win more than 60-65% of their matches because the match maker doesn't consider accurately the ability of various tanks, skill of the players (in and out of 3 man cell groups called platoons). And at this point with what over 100 tanks to choose from the problem is exacerbated and un-fixable, without a completely different game play design . #2 Micro-transactions ~ There isn't a less trustworthy way to to employ micro-transactions than selling power but that's EXACTLY what they do. They sell everything, it's like they read a game developers paper on what to do and what not to do and did everything anyways just because. Well a lot of games sell power, every pvp game does it, but none in the universe charge you as much as WoT will. You pay for tanks that grind experience faster, you pay to transfer experience from 1 tank to the other, you pay for bullets that will penetrate better and are more accurate, you pay to boost your tanks crew experience, you pay to paint your tank ~ everything in game has a very real dollar cost. There are a lot of givens and you don't have to pay a cent many do this ~ but you will never compete or progress at a reasonable rate unless you do. Those issues are bad enough to never ever return to a game. They are classic what not to do when making your video game mistakes of severe magnitude. #3 browser game that takes more time than a full time job, and just as involved in planning. Want and 8 hours a day job, manage a team in WoT and try to keep property. If you don't show up EVERY night of the week including holidays, and play as hard as you would and at any real life sports you'll get booted off the game map or never even make it on. That's minimum 15 players with reserves. But~ WoT is also relatable, when you play your tanks for the first time you really feel like your in a real tank. No game has delivered this ever, and for the market to completely overlook this until a Russian developer finally made a decent tank game is a shameful proof of what inbred circle proof marketing benefits the world. WoT has actually strategy, bouncing around like bugs bunny in other pvp games doesn't exist here. You THINK where you need to go you coordinate and you move tactically. Actual strategy, actual. Do you understand how completely foreign this is to video games these days that spoon feed everything to you? WoT is realistic, and you are constantly gratified. No waiting an hour for a group or even 10 minutes, jump in and play until it hurts. WoT gives you real choice, you get to decide what you want to play and how. Hundreds of tanks, hundreds of guns. Finally ~ I give WoT a 5, the gameplay is well above a 9 probably a 9.5 but the match maker and miserable micro transanction system ruin what could have been a benchmark industry changing game. Expand
  13. Jan 19, 2013
    The game requires the use of gold in order to enjoy. As others have said, things become frustrating, after a while, when you are incapable of playing well against opponents without upgrading.
    Additionally, the price of gold is obscene. It costs $100 dollars for enough gold to obtain a premium account for merely a year. I expect more than than that.
  14. Oct 8, 2012
    This is an incredibly fun and addictive game. I really don't understand the poor User scores for this game. After a quick look I realize most of them are from try-hards that get frustrated with the fact that they can't one-shot every single thing in the game. Most likely FPS and RPG gamers that don't quite understand anything other than mashing keys and getting instant gratification. Anyways, this game creeped on me slowly, and now it has become one of my favorite games to play. First of all, the game concept itself is really fun and simple and easy to get in to. If you start getting into the game more and more then it's when it actually gets addictive. There is a lot more than just driving a tank with simplistic controls and shooting other players, it's actually quite more complicated than that if you want to excel at it. There is fidelity (somewhat) to the real life attributes of most tanks, regarding guns, engines, amor, weak spots, etc etc. Then there is actually the dual progress of your tank(s) with credits and XP, and your crew who also get XP on their own and can be further specialized with cool attributes. All of this, in a FREE to play game. Let me repeat, FREE, yes, you do NOT have to pay anything if you don't want to, however, if you want to advance faster or get certain advantages, you can do it by paying. And this where most of their negative reviews come from, most likely 14 year olds that want to have the best tank possible RIGHT NOW, not a fun progress through weeks of playing, BUT RIGHT NOW, and they can't seem to understand any other way to get things than actually paying. Unfortunately, even when that happens, you are qued against similar tier tanks, therefore there is no such a "glorious advantage" over anyone at any point really, and that pisses off certain people. However, if you are a decent player that enjoys challenge, that understand there is progression in a game and likes to understand every aspect of the game, this game is an amazing bargain. Conclusion: The game is incredibly fun and addictive with a certain depth if you want to get into it. It's free to play, however if you impatient or want to get certain small advantages while progressing then you will have to pay some. If you are a tank/WW2 junkie then this game is a must. And if you are player that likes competition and challenge, not easy brain-dead fun, then you will like this game. You also need to understand that this is a MMO, so there is a progression designed to last several months, so NO, you WON'T "beat" the game in few days, stop giving bad reviews because of this. Also, ArenaNet is doing a fantastic job at keeping the game updated, not only with new maps, new tanks, but also new very important additions, such an updated Physics engine, graphics rendering, etc etc, things that most games charge you for or simply wait until releasing a "part 2" of the game. They really seem committed to make this a great game, which already is to be honest. Expand
  15. Feb 23, 2012
    I honestly doesn't understand those 1s-3s scores. Does this game have a lot of flows? sure but which isn't? Does micro-payment here is a little to much 'youhaveto'? yep but devs won't feed themselves with praises and it IS free to play if you don't wanna pay - just a lot harder than. But the same is with dificulity system in other games - you can give easy and be king of the world killing everything without scratch or you can give hard or expert and die a lot. If you can't deal with this that in 30 person battle you won't be only one standing 9 out of 10 games than this game is just not for U. On average there is no more than 3 survived from a battle. Will it be always you? almost certainly not. Depending from your role you can be sometimes sure that you wont survive even in 90% of your games. It's WW II tank simulator! you're not happy that some old panzer III is no match for KV? well it's not and it wasn't when real people were driving them but they had to take those kind of battles anyway and die almost certainly. Coz they could buy time for other tanks from their squad to go around KV and destroy it. For example it was main Sherman tank tactics against Tigers -swam him, go around and pound him where he is vulnerable. Easy to say but to do that out of 5 tank sqad at least 2-3 will be destroyed by Tiger for sure. I honestly love this part of WoT - If you're driving light tank and most of others are 2 tier bigger than you have almost no chance to stay alive! but still you can be of valiue to the whole team as a scout. And you will die without even scratching one other oponent? well tough luck. Life is brutal! you have problem with that? try Sims. you have full control over there, and U won't die or lose because you were in a team with more noobs. But for me WoT is a lot more real life simulator than Sims - you will learn here that you are just one small screw that is most of time unimportant but sometimes because it;s lucky, or skilled it can do something big. Expand
  16. Feb 12, 2013
    So many reviewers complain about the fact that this game (like most games these days) uses "experience" to "unlock" equipment not to get an advantage over other players, but become even. True: You have to spend much more time IF you are not willing to spend real money on "Premium Tanks" and you have to play harder more carefully without "Premium Ammo", as you cannot penetrate an enemy with each not so well aimed shot. But it is exactly the same with Battlefield 3, where you can lay AT mines right from the start, but a "more experienced" player with more unlocks on a tank can just see them highlighted like Christmas tree with no skill at all, making AT mines redundant (but no one complains about that, right?). This game has an awesome game mechanic and decent controls, allowing you to play it like a true arcade game, while ballistics and vehicle behavior work like a true simulator. The only point really to hate about this game is the "Tier System", unlocking bigger tanks with more hit points and guns, able to deal more damage (so the balance remains WITHIN a Tier). The matchmaking, placing you above or below other players, kills that balance BAD! Nevertheless you can be a useful addition to any group, if it is scouting, flanking, drawing attention to you, etc. I'd like to see some more effort in team play development or more specialized scenarios, as random battles become very boring. PLUS better friend integration. What's the point of a filled friend list, if you can only join a battle with on friend (or two, if you have a Premium Account)? Expand
  17. May 12, 2014
    This games absolutely a 10/10, and it's totally addicting. I've spent well over 1000 hours on this game. I consider it more of a sport because of all the talent it takes to actually be good in this game. There's so much skill to it.

Check it out, you definately won't regret it. This game is super popular for a reason.
  18. Oct 1, 2011
    Judging this game as a free game is wrong, the basic concept of the game is that you grind your way to the highest tier of each type of tank to help your clan fight for provinces in their tournaments. The only way to get there is by spending money on a premium account since basicly grinding your way to the max tier without it would just take way to long. Now since we know then that this is not a free game lets review it accordingly. Gameplay : The gameplay isnt bad, its unique in the current genre with a little bit of a mmo features. However after you spend some time playing the game and grinding your way to the max tier and learning the game you can get very bored of it. To give you a small idea of how boring it might be, to get from the tier 7 to tier 8 artillery which is the highest tier artillery. You will around 330.000 experience, this is not counting the huge amount of experience points you need to get the upgrades on your tier 7. These would take around 150.000. Now since you probably get around 800-1000 experience points on average with a premium account you can then see why its considered a boring grind. The developer. The developer of this game is wargaming , a russian company which is noticed by the unbalanced russian tanks in the game. The developers in this game are basicly one of the worst you can come across, they are clearly nationalist russians which is shown by how they bend historic facts in their events they host. This alone makes me want to give them a 1 for this review, simply claiming that Stalin liberated eastern europe is just unforgiveable. Overall : The game can be fun if you dont play it to much as in 1 time a week, do this and the game can be something to kill time with. However since the game unbalancing is caused by biased developers towards russian armor the game can not become a serious online game. So if you are looking for a serious game you want to play at a high level, go look somewhere else. If you want a game you can download for free and have a few minutes of fun then go ahead and download, just make sure you dont get draged into buying premium accounts and tanks. The score im giving is a 1 as i said basicly out of protest towards the developers. Expand
  19. Mar 28, 2012
    Having played the game for just over four months, the only thin I can say is: unless you're ready to dish out serious amount of cash, this "free 2 play" online shooter is not worth it. Don't get me wrong, the game is tremendous fun until you get to about tier 4. Then you start being thrown into fights with tanks that can effortlessly one-shot you, while you can't even do any damage to them. This is where the fun stops, and you start a grim grind, getting ever higher tier tanks, thinking the next one will not suck so badly. But it does. And when you're up at tier 7-8 you will start losing money on battles, even if you play on a premium account. And higher tier tanks don't get any cheaper, so to keep your cash balance positive, to got to either play lower tier tanks again, or buy a money-making premium tank for 45 euro. Imagine, say, in WoW having to play several 40-50 level characters for the sole purpose of paying for the upkeep of your 85 level main character. That's a bad design right there, and the game is not fun at all when you get to that point. Sooner or later, it will become as a chore, playing just to get the daily experience bonus. I understand the company wants to make money off their game, but disguising World of Tanks as free to play just seems cheap to me. Expand
  20. Jan 25, 2014
    world of tanks it a great game! alot of people say it pay to win but it not true, every ww2 fan will love this game, there are moment the game is very annoying yes, but in 90% of the time it fun, with the fact that it free i thinck every gamer need to try it at least one time, it a great game.
  21. Jun 11, 2011
    I would consider it an okay game, good graphics, nice maps, and good tanks. The tanks are limited to WWII range or so and it mostly relies on money. If you happen to buy some gold and buy a special tank, you can blow up a newbie (me) with one direct shot near or direct. Not the best game because it relies on money but very fun experience!
  22. Aug 18, 2013
    I've decided to update my review, as some changes dramatically improved the game play over the past 2 years.

First, the matchmaker spread was greatly reduced so the silly situations where you could not damage any part of enemy tank (including its rear) no longer happen for the most part. They improved the graphics and removed all pay to win advantages so that you can buy premium
    ammo/equipment with credits and all the premium tanks are much weaker than elited standard vehicles.

At this point you can only speed up your grind with money. This applies mostly to credits, as you can only convert experience between tanks (with some limits) for money, you can't directly pay money to unlock a tank. Premium Account is a must if you are serious about the game, it's 10€ per month and it's the only thing you should buy.

The major problem at this point is the player base. It's absolutely astonishing to watch this many braindead people playing this game, without grasping any concept of armor and cover whatsoever. It would literally take one day to implement a bot that would play smarter than at least 70% of players. This is mostly a problem because Wargaming refuses to implement any sort of skill-based match matching. Therefore, especially on weekends, the game turns into frustrating series of matches where you play 1 vs 29 simply because your team mates are retarded.

And while this could be easily solved, it most likely won't ever be. I'm rating it 6 mostly because of the terrible experience this game brings at times. On the other hand there isn't any competition when it comes to tank shooters, so it's most certainly worth to at least give it a try.
  23. Jun 25, 2012
    This game is quite nice game,even tho it seems easy its not really noob friendly ,especially after tier 7.. so most of people who wrote bad reviews are probably people who played total time of 7ish hours and made a judgement over game that require hours and hours and hoooours of practise
  24. Jun 12, 2012
    It's simply unbelievable how much fan this game gives. The strongest things here are 1) gameplay 2) feeling of constant improvement of your garage with every game played 3) very well balanced free/premium gameplay (premium is really VERY nice, but you don't feel weak without it).

For me personally gameplay in WoT can be compared to... Counter-Strike :) At first glance: nothing special.
    But both games have "this thing", which just make "walking and shooting"/"driving and shooting" simply pleasant and fun, and time running waaaay too fast... :D Expand
  25. Oct 9, 2012
    Alot of content and depth for a free to play, however it's bias is an incredibly long play through to get what you want unless you pay, having said that, clan wars and public matches a like provoke fun gameplay that keeps me coming back for more.
  26. Dec 29, 2012
    Fun free to play casual game if you want to blast tanks away in 15 vs 15 battles, but like its upsides it has its downsides, such as tedious grinding past tier 6 without a premium account, unbalanced premium paid tanks, a mixed game community where you got decent folks and complete assclowns and a downright TERRIBLE forum community. I would equate the moderators on the forum to Soviet style authorities back in the USSR days, giving infractions for minor things.

If you liked WW2 and the armored warfare or just want to blow **** up, give it a try but avoid the forums at all cost. They are a nightmare!
  27. Nov 18, 2013
    I think it's fun, probably my favorite game out there right now (2013). I can play for about 1-2 hours a day tops though. Lotta variety in tanks, fairly friendly community (compared to warthunder), most maps are decent, but some maps are simply not fun and tend to ruin a match. Some people whine about pay-to-win nature of the game, I haven't paid for anything and I still find it fun and do well (can get top gun medal, which is 6+ kills per match). Expand
  28. Jan 31, 2014
    I will rate this game 2 out of 10 For only the decisions of the company and their glorification of the most crimminal scam of history joseph stalin, ANDDDD of course the players on eu servers.....So the company after smoking their crack or whatever they decided to bring some optional names of stalin so you can buy them and put the in your tank like (For joseph stalin!) and more, and WG.net had the nerve to say *it's historically accurate* well some german tanks had some messages written in their tanks like (Heil hitler! or the swastigka) and WG doesn't put those as well and they describe stalin as a hero against the fascism. Now the players....they players are little kids or fat grown mans you don't know english and are complete as*holes. The gameplay is fun and the tanks are very well design but the balance and pay to win system ruins some parts and the irony is that the wg are russians and on purpose they made russians tanks overpowered and the germans the weaker of all. The history accuracy here is complete f*cked up cause german tanks were the most superior of them all. Expand
  29. Feb 1, 2014
    -BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING
    -Pay2Win
    -Graphics
    -N00b Players
    -Do you hear about Team Work ?
    -No Target at all

+..................
    +...................
    +...................
    +..............
    +Slavian Dev Team ?
  30. Apr 16, 2011
    Amazing game!
    Lot of fun, amazing battles! I rly love it ! You can go for USA, German and Russian tanks. Lot's of options and additional stuff to buy to own on battlefield.
  31. Aug 8, 2011
    Game is very fun in low-tier battles, but as you progress it becomes more and more static and boring. You are not allowed to make any mistakes, almost every attempt to play a hero and roll into action on full speed will be severely punished. Combat model isn't any good either, it's relies strongly on the RNG (for example, the penetration capacity of AP shells can vary from 170 to 280 mm of armor, so one shot can penetrate a very armored AFV and another will bounce from some mid-tier AFV).
    You can actually have fun in this game, but i wouldn't recommend go further than 3-4 levels.
  32. Feb 6, 2012
    Pay 2 win is very present in this game. Directly present with premium ammo and premium consumables. I don't encourage in any game, that if you pay more you have advantage over others. Indirectly present with free xp, credits, premium account and premium tanks which if you never buy them this game is a pain to play. It seems even with clan wars they created a system to gain money, because the clans that own a lot of lands doesn't need to invest money and the (new) clans that doesn't have lands must invest a lot to be equally equipped so it becomes a fair game. You can feel the makers of this game are greedy. The game is not to great, matchmaking is unbalanced and the game is very random with:
    Artillery, penetrations, aim from long range, the skill/tactics of your team sometimes you know you lose the game if you see lemming groups (this game is very team dependant), which map you get, engine fire, ammorack explosions... etc. These are all a gamble boxes.
  33. Sep 19, 2012
    The game walks a fine line between historical accuracy and balanced gameplay, and does so successfully for the most part. A Tiger tank -- while one of the most lethal on the battlefield in WW2 -- is 'only' a tier 7, and based on game design is primarily a sniper tank for example. Having played over 3000 matches, I can say that every tank in the game has strengths and weaknesses. Most complaints of tanks being overpowered or underpowered are based on an unwillingness to learn different styles of play, where you need to take advantage of the tank's strengths and offset their weaknesses. Are you a brawler? Sniper? Intended to scout? Fast speed for flanking actions? Heavily sloped armor so you're intended to play mostly hull down?

I've spent about $80 on the game having played almost an entire year. I purchased one 'gold' tank, where the gold tanks' main advantage is the ability to generate credit income faster than other tanks. Real $ tanks are almost exclusively inferior to experience point equivalent tiers, whcih is the primary reason why this game is not 'pay to win'. The gold tanks facilitate easier experience point and credit grinds... but offer no advantages on the battlefield. Its a brilliant design, and works well.

My experience indicates the most fun tiers to play are between tiers 5 and 8. Tiers 9 and 10 have exceedingly expensive repair bills (unless you're running as a premium account) and typically are very conservative matches due to the severity of artillery. Lower tier matches tend to be very zerg-like and usually your teammates are still learning the game. Great game, very well balanced -- a 'thinking man's FPS.
  34. Dec 14, 2012
    This is a long review, but I've played the game for so long and I'm honest enough about the entire thing to give a useful opinion without being a fanboy or bashing the game completely, so please keep this in mind as you read.

This game is a very mixed bag. First off, the core gameplay can be entertaining if you're willing to learn how it works and operate within those boundaries.
    There's a lot of satisfaction to gain from this, which is why as a person who detests this game, I actually do still play it. The game is all about grinding. Tier 1-3 goes fast, 3-4 is a little longer, 4-5 is very long, then after that it doesn't seem to be long before tier 6, and then 7, but 8, 9 and 10 are very long grinds. I've played since June 2011 basically EVERY day and I have two tier 10 tanks unlocked, a couple of tier 9 tanks, half a dozen tier 8's, many tier 7's. So you can see it takes a long time to get tanks. I play to get one win a day in each tank I care about, never grinding because that's too tedious and it takes me this kind of time.

The game heavily rewards money spending via premium tanks that are poorly balanced and with premium shells (Though these can now be bought with in-game currency - which has caused some chaos and imbalance). The premium tanks are frequently overpowered when introduced, causing much anger among players who face them - which of course means lots of players run out and buy these tanks. They're not cheap either. The game's in-game currency is gold, you can buy 1250 gold for about $8. Most of the tier 7-8 premium tanks which are the most powerful and fun to use are about 8000-12000 gold which comes out to about $35-50. That's $35-50 for ONE tank. The next step, Wargaming nerfs the tank so the normal playerbase stops complaining, but then they buff it again and it goes on and on. All these tanks do is return more in-game credits than a normal tiered equivalent. Lots of normal tanks are poorly balanced so the problem becomes that to get a fun to use tank you may have to go through a few badly balanced and unfun tanks. Despite these tanks being unbalanced negatively, players who complain in the forums trying to get these tanks improved are ridiculed and told they're just bad at the game. Wargaming NEVER listens to player feedback, as the game is most popular in Russia and that is truly the only playerbase they care about. The Russian developers ignore American feedback, they just allow us to pretend we matter to silence us - this may sound conspiracy theorist but it really is true in this game.

The community is also one of the worst I've ever seen. Players are very bad at the game even at higher tiers, and they just keep playing which ruins the fun for a normal/good player. Battles are 15 players vs 15 players and the matchmaker is notoriously bad. Using an external mod which shows player's skill ratings and win rates during a match, I've observed the game frequently stacks one team full of very good players and the other team is full of bad players. This game is NOTORIOUS for losing streaks, worse than any game I've ever seen. You can be good (which not to brag, I am pretty good at the game) and still be shafted by bad matchmaking, poor player skills, and random number generation - which is how the game determines damage, penetration, and basically everything.

Wargaming is also probably one of the worst game companies I've had the displeasure to play a game from. They give their moderators free realm to basically do whatever they want, and their "appeals" section if you get chat banned in the game is basically for show - they never repeal bans, no matter what. This game is so terrible about censorship, that despite allowing you to disable a profanity filter I personally have been banned for calling somone a noob before. Yes, they're THAT kind of moderators. If you insult the developers, other players, in ANY fashion even calling them stupid or dumb you'll get banned for a few days. They also frequently tell people to stop spamming or stop using caps when no one is doing either action. Wargaming is a very shallow company concerned only with squeezing profit out of the game while doing as little as possible to improve long standing issues. Users make great suggestions, and they're never listened to. The also ignore all test server player feedback, they just use hard stats like win rates, average damage and other things that do not reveal the full picture to determine what's balanced and what's not.

The game can be fun when everything is alright, but too many times the game is just awful. Many maps are bad, many tanks are bad, and the community is awful, the developer/staff is terrible. There's a fun game buried underneath this mess, but it's not worth your time to find it if you ask me - I've played over 2k hours, I'd know...
  35. Jun 30, 2013
    In this joke of a game, winning 6 times out of 10 makes you in the top 1%. If you win more than 75% of the games, then you are probably in the top 100. On a lucky streak, you may win 100% of games. On an unlucky streak, you will win none of them. If you like to spend tremendous tme and money on one single game, finally become one of the very best players and still lose at least 30% of your battles,
    purely due to team composition, this is definitely your game.

Oh yeah and when you die in the first minute without doing damage or spotting, don't worry.
    If your team has less bots or 80+ years old WWII veterans with Parkinson's disease than the enemy team, you will be carried and win for free.
    Of course personal performance matters but up to a point, not enough,
    not rewarding enough, not enough for a game, not enough to have fun.

tl;dr :
    win or loss is matter of luck in team composition,
    the very best players in this game still lose more than they should because of luck.
  36. Aug 2, 2011
    Well, I have been reading the (above) reviews and have to admit that it is impressive how many below 3s and above 7s you find. I always think that everyone is entitled of their opinion, which I totally respect even if I disagree. To my humble opinion, the game rates low by hard core WWII fans or MMO gamers. I read above that it takes 3 months to get a tier 8 tank... Well, I play for 5 months now and only been to tier 6. I guess I am a casual gamer myself... However, I LOVED the game. I stick to the tanks I like and I am not obsessed by reaching Tier 10 anytime soon. I simply do not care. I love each and every tank I own, even created a "bond" with the crew (as you can transfer them from one tank to another)! I lose some battles, win some others, get destroyed and destroy others. I strongly believe that there is a huge research project behind its development and every single detail is thought of. Ok, you might have some balancing issues but what can you do? Enjoy the time you spend playing people! I have spent some money and I think it totally worth it... Don't get me started with all the AAA titles that I have purchased and spent 0 time with them... To my point of view, get a Tier 2 tank (it's free) stick with that alone, find your preferred tank type (Light, Medium, Heavy, Tank Destroyer or SPG) and follow each one's path slowly enjoying all the way. After all it is the journey that matters and not the destination ;-) Expand
  37. Sep 14, 2011
    This game is funny in the start, but after some battles you face the truth. Very unbalanced battles try to force you to buy a premium account or spend some RL money in them. Dont waste your time in this thing.
  38. Oct 14, 2011
    World of tanks is a wonderful idea done wrong. I've played it for a week and then gave up. The premise of having upgradable tanks is really neat, but the devs have their heads up their arses. Battles are fought from automatically matched teams and this is the killing point. After playing for a few days and upgrading your tank you will end up being outgunned 95% of the time. It's like playing CS with only a glock. You will spend your time speccing battles you cannot possibly influence. Expand
  39. May 17, 2012
    Slow paced, unskilled, and worst of all just plain boring game play. The balance and matchmaking in the game is way off as well. The entire game has a decent core concept but they need to go back to the drawing board. They need to make the game feel more like a game and less of a driving in a parking lot simulation. The also need to find some way to encourage more team work and tank slection stratagy rather than putting everyone in a generic mold team. Expand
  40. Jan 19, 2014
    "Bait and Nerf" I used to like the game. Played over 12k games in total. There is and always was a horrible grind to the game. One of the worst ever I like to call the "WOT march of death". Besides the horrible grind WG (wargaming.net) just doesn't know how to balance a game period. Bad in WOT in also their newer Warplanes game as well. Also they just don't know how to treat their players. You play their games and you know you are going to get screwed at one point or the other. I'm talking about paying customers at least.
    It's all about what money can WG can make now, if you paid into the system already, even recently well then it's your tough luck.

I picked the German line because I always thought they are the coolest ever.
    They just look cool and were deadly in WW2.
    Now but if you play the German side you are pretty screwed since for the most party Germany stopped making tanks in 1945 (yes with some exceptions like the modern Leopard 2).
    But then WOT continues on with coldwar tanks on up to at least the 1970's.
    So there I was at best playing a 1945 concept tank vs 1970 technology.
    The new tanks they give better developed rounded amour, and a lower profile, auto-loaders, better engine, etc.
    Somehow to WG developer logic that is somehow balanced..(?)

The worst of it all to make me uninstall and not want to touch another WG game again is what they have been doing for the last year.
    It's a variation of the "bait and switch" scam, which I call "bait and nerf".

What they do to keep people grinding (and thus paying money) is they keep coming out with new tanks.
    Mostly tanks that keep moving up in years with better technology thus they are stronger.
    Usually move faster, have bigger guns, and, or shoot faster or have auto-loaders.
    So this new tank comes out and it's pretty over powered and now everyone wants it.
    Users spend their money to push through to get it. All is good for a few months..then what they'll do is spring a bunch of nerfs on your shiny tank. They will do something(s) to make it much weaker now.
    Now your screwed, angry, frustrated, you don't even want to play it anymore.
    It's a cycle they do to try to get you to spend your money.
    And this is no mistake, it's obviously intentional. You can see they base a lot of their designs on math, in particular statistics. So they know damn well what they are doing.

Avoid WG games at all. You will only end up getting frustrated, and screwed out of your money in the end.
  41. Apr 26, 2014
    I have played a number of online shooters and this is the most frustrating one of all and not a game that I will persist with any longer, despite the promise. I have tried to make this game work for over a year and 7000 matches, with a reasonable 52.2% win rate and WN7 and WN8 ratings of 'good' and tanks at all tiers and classes demonstrating that I can play this game with some competence (you will see the need to make this claim below, this being a game where stats seem to matter a lot, sadly). There are times when this game is amazing, but they are overshadowed by the frustration of this game. The game is seriously flawed in a number of ways, making it difficult to consistently enjoy this, most enjoyment deriving from taking advantage of other's mistakes and most defeats being a result of skill/own mistakes plus game mechanics, chance and the complex nature of the game leading to an element of ineptitude from many players. The game relies on significant teamwork but the game mechanics and in particular the lack of any reasonable tutorial severely limit team-work. The deliberate element of chance built into the game ref damage per shot, penetration etc and the complicated nature of differing hit zones further frustrate. Add to this the fact that despite claims to the contrary, the ability to pay for better penetrating shells, permanent camo, equipment that assists accuracy/reload etc means there is an element of play to win. Add to all of this a quite nasty community in-game and on the forums, assisted by an amusingly elitist group of modders creating XVM, WN and the like that show all of your stats in-game, leading to less able players being insulted or told that they have lost the game for the team before it starts and you have something not worth playing. The tank genre needs someone else to come along and top this, learning from what went right and the many things that are wrong. Expand
  42. Aug 12, 2011
    I hate tank games. I expected this to be some boring FPS/TPS game with completely no dynamics, the tempo of it being slugger-ish and the whole thing to suck ass. But something seemed to make me play it. Beside i knew it was going to suck. But when i actually played it, i looked at the customization menu, which made my scrotum jump away and sit there staring at the screen for 30 minutes of me checking the stuff out. Its quite educational if you think about it. The tank history and information makes the game add up to like a MMO-FPS-TPS-RPG simulator with lots of facts and actual events. The whole game was surprisingly
    awesome! "Confound all this hard work put in to this game, it drives to me insomnia!"

The beta, was one of the best parts which is now unavailable. Now we get to the minuses, like the payment requied to get about 1/10th of all tanks.
    And apparentaly, by the end of the making of the game, there will be over 150+ tanks. Now there is over 60. Wow.
  43. Feb 26, 2012
    Its hard to rate this game. For a casual player it is good. Action packed. For mmo veterans, it can be a massive timesink and an exercise in frustration. The endgame is split between high tier random battles and Clan Wars. The random battles at high tiers is very flawed, but the clan wars system is fun and challenging. Very hardcore.
  44. Oct 31, 2012
    It's a fun game, but the fact that people can shoot "gold bullets" pretty much completely unbalances the game. The few maps available becomes extremely repetitive after a few games.
  45. May 7, 2013
    World of Tanks is a game based entirely on an RNG (Random Number Generator). Any veteran of the game will tell you, that basically, nothing matters. Every single aspect of the game boils down to the RNG and the vague boundaries that are defined in its algorithms. No-one knows exactly how it works, but what is known is that you have as good a chance at succeeding at one thing, as you do failing at it. The in game numbers listed on the weapons and tanks are almost completely irrelevant, because the actually mathematics used to determine armor penetration and damage are so convoluted and apparently outside the bounds of what is listed or logical, that its meaningless.

Wold of Tanks is a game designed to completely remove player input, decision making, and "skill" with the use of the RNG to determine everything from whether you can hit your target, to whether you can even SEE your target, and its built around a game that gives the illusion of actual action based, skill oriented gameplay. The intent of the game is to allow everyone to be able to succeed, regardless of skill level or investment. In this way, it gets significant props and can never be accused of being "pay to win" because everyone is at the mercy of the RNG and its modifiers.

The game also can manipulate individual player accounts to keep them within a certain "success metric" in order to make you want to keep playing, and keep folks from getting frustrated. Its not known the exact number, but it seems as though the sweet spot is somewhere between 48-51. That is, the game will manipulate your ingame performance behind the scenes (by performance i mean your chance to penetrate/be penetrated, damage, etc) to keep your win rate somewhere between 48% 51%. If you get above around 52.25% win rate a modifier of varying intensity gets put on your account that causes your shots to penetrate less often, and your armor to be more susceptible to penetration and damage, until your win rate drops back down to the target global ratio. The games matchmaker works brilliantly in that it lumps people together who are above or below the curve, and places them against folks at appropriate levels to balance out the regional server winrate. IE, the people on your team are most likely all either doing too poorly, or too well, and are being placed against a team that they are highly likely to either win or lose against, thus bringing both groups of players up or down in winrate as necessary to keep the golden 48-51 ratio. Its quiet an impressive algorithm, but it completely removes the competitive aspect of the game and renders everything you do meaningless. It is of course possible to go above or below the global ratio, if you are just absolutely deliberately trying to do badly or have a really good group of friends you play with that are capable of overcoming the account modifiers (this is hard to do, the game limits groups of friends called "companies" to 3 per match. each match is 15vs15 so its very, very hard for 3 people no matter how skilled to change the outcome, although its very possible if your company is skilled and coordinated).

However, rarely, you will get a match that is balanced with the Matchmaker algorithm not trying to promote or demote anyone. When this happens the game really shines, and its a shame that the game is built around the model that it is, because the game can be very fun. Unfortunately everything is designed to be very comfortable and to prevent anyone from either falling too far behind or getting too far ahead, in order to encourage spending money on the in-game real world items and "premium time" (which increases your rate of experience gain for leveling up tanks). It is obviously a very successful system, as the game has done extremely well, but after playing awhile it becomes utterly soul-less and unsatisfying and only the absolute die-hards or the folks that have spent vast amounts of real world currency hang around beyond the tier 5 or 6 vehicles (out of possible 10 tiers).
  46. Aug 5, 2013
    Grindfest of the worse possible kinds 80% of your time in game you just stare at your tink parked somewhere or broken in garge. Its not a bad game but completely lacks fun factor for free accounts because of the stupid grind
  47. Jan 8, 2014
    World of Tanks has much problems which need to be solved to become a really good game. Such problems as balance in matchmaking, graphics and server optimization, some gameplay moments. When all this problems will be solved, World of Tanks can become a perfect online game, not earlier.
  48. Apr 17, 2014
    I don't mind the boring grinding system that forces you to play to win, I don't mind the personal preferences of the developers about some particular tanks, I don't mind that some enemies are 2 tiers above you and are able to one shot you sky high, I don't mind the occasional lag...WHAT I DO MIND IS THE HORRIBLE BUGS AND ERRORS THAT THIS STUPID GAME HAS MOST OF THE TIME...here I was ready to kill my 7th target tank, the scope was on and perfect set...than the game crashed for no reason to desktop, no warning , no nothing. The updates only makes the game unplayable. Expand
  49. Apr 21, 2011
    Absolutely terrible game. it has officially launched and it's still a beta version. Basically all that you can do right now is start with a lowlie tier1 tank and get into 15 vs 15 PvP random battles. There is nothing more, only 15 vs 15 random battles in random maps and there are only about 12 maps). The matchmaking is extremely poor, just like in beta, as you progress you end up in battles against tanks that you can't even damage (where is the fun in that?) and they one-shot you. You can't create a group to play with your friends unless you pay a monthly premium subscription, which makes this game unable to compete with every other online multiplayer game. Tanks are completely unbalanced on all tiers, russian tanks are specially overpowered (because the developer company is Russian?). Artillery is absurdly designed and overpowered. Visibility is horrible, you often receive damage from invisible tanks, even at 10m from you. Avoid this beta game at all costs! Expand
  50. May 11, 2011
    At first it's fun but then it's constant struggle and frustration. I played closed beta for 4 months then stopped. Now I started again and after two weeks I must say that it still has many flaws. Sure, it's free but playing without premium account is a pain. Additionally, developers are trying desperately to encourage players to spend some money by forcing you to fight against higher tier tanks. Believe me, after playing countless battles in which you can't damage anything you will hate this game. Some may say that it's a challenge but I think that fun factor is important and this game lacks it.
    Next con are maps. There are too few of them and some are really badly designed. Another important flaw is imbalance. Some tanks are much better then others of the same tier, eg. infamous Russian T-54. Avoid this game, not fun.
  51. Mar 29, 2012
    Free to play - Pay to win. In a nutshell, that is WoT for you. Well, mind you, it's a given that F2P games somehow have to give you an "incentive" to spend some money on them, but aside of the even more horribly lopsided F2P Battlefield I've not seen anything like this in the F2P field. Let's even ignore for a moment the fact that as a F2P player you have to spend ridiculous amounts of time to actually "level up" because the amount of XP you get per battle is ridiculously low, as a "free" player you are, essentially, the target dummy for the paying community. You're not their player, you're essentially part of the product being sold, kinda-sorta like a bot with some brains, there to make those feel good that shelled out some dough for it. You get invariably dumped into games where you're on the lower end of the spectrum, which more often than not leads to you being pretty much unable to put even a dent into their armor. It gets old kinda fast if you keep shooting at an enemy from behind (where it should be "softer") countless times for exactly zero effect before he finally realizes you're there, turns his turret and blows you out of existence. More because you're an inconvenience rather than a threat. Sure, I could buy some "premium ammo" for real money, then I might get to score a hit from time to time. But you may think it's temporary, and all you have to do is to get to the next tier of tanks, then you'll be on top of the roster. You will not, because now you get tossed into a battle of the same **** combination as before, just one tier higher. But that's not even your problem. You're now again in a "stock" tank without any improvements, in other words, you're not only the runt of the litter, your crate now also sucks on top of it. So you improve it, you spend countless battles where you're little more than the target dummy for some paying player... the treadmill repeats itself until you're finally fed up and give up. I somehow wonder if there are any "free" players in the higher tiers at all... Or what do you shoot at when you spent a few hundred bucks on this game and managed to get to tier 10? Do you have to play against others who did the same? And keep spending to stay in the game? Sorry. I don't mind dropping a few bucks to a game I like, but when a F2P game starts to cost more than a premium title, without being anything close to premium, something's terribly wrong. Expand
  52. Jul 15, 2012
    Game is basically designed to frustrate you into spending money. Full of stupid mechanics (yes, I know how they work and why are they like that. 55% win rate with 1300~ rating out of 2000 games) like spotting that makes very little sense or massively overpowering artillery that basically decides every high-tier game with ability to one-shot a tank into uselessness by killing off 2-4 crew members and knocking down 1-3 modules per shot. Sure, you can take maybe 3-5 of the shots, but even one near miss drops your combat effectiveness by over 50% easily. Everything is priced very high and if you want to spend real life money you won't get much bang for your buck. Single tank costs 30-40 euros. Imagine, a single tank in a game with hundreds of them. See Tribes Ascend for F2P done correctly. Expand
  53. Jul 21, 2012
    I give this game 0 score. Because there are developers of the game rating the game up on the user review. Personally, this game is pretty good, but the devs are not impartial, they are russian. Therefore the game is not as great as it could be. The users that are FAKE are: RedNord Dys88 reignoftanks check the similarity between dys88 and reignoftanks. Rakashin DutchDK (probably)
    Pirate21110
    AceGunner
    mrtanker

...
    ...
    The list goes on. The user reviews are not this high.. check the low reviews.
  54. Aug 5, 2012
    World of tanks has a lot of potential and is fun at times when it is balanced which rarely happens. WoT suffers from poor design. More often than not WoT is very dull, boring and lame. This game suffers a lot from imbalance! This game was outdated before it even left alpha. Very poor overall design of the game! The developers focus way too much on money making than actually making this game work properly. The game mechanics are broken and this game suffers from a lot of bugs and poor coding. The best way to describe this game is a bunch of high school kids made it. Just simply put a bunch of amateurs made this game who are greedy and just see dollars signs everywhere! Avoid this piece of Trash on less you are willing to spend money to have fun in this game. That is the only way WoT is worth playing and that is with gold account! This game gets a 0 out of 10 for the overall trash factor it offers! Expand
  55. Aug 12, 2012
    Pay to win game don't waste your time.

The episode starts out with Android 18 about to fight with Mr. Satan (who is scared out of his mind) at the World Martial Arts Tournament. Mr. Satan imagines what will happen if he loses to Android 18: Android 18 laughing at him, Videl disowning him, and the entire crowd booing and throwing things at him. He then laughs and says "Watch out, you
    don't know what you're messing with!" while walking backwards. He then charges at Android 18 with his fists flying, but Android 18 dodges each one. She then puts him in a headlock and says she will throw the match for 20,000,000 Zeni. She lets go but the crowd thinks Mr. Satan kicked her away.
    18 putting Mr. Satan in a headlock
    BeadtmdcAdded by Beadtmdc

At the tournament, Mr. Satan throws Android 18 across the ring and she tells him to do his most powerful attack. He performs his Dynamic Mess Em Up Punch. She stands there and says "That was your most powerful attack". She then jumps out of the ring and Mr. Satan is declared the winner. Android 18 then says "I will see you tomorrow and get my money and if you don't pay I will kill you".
  56. Nov 7, 2012
    The biggest moan about this game comes from people, who think they are good because they have nice k/d ratio in Call of Duty or Counter Strike series. Suddenly they met a game which requires some skills, but basically THINKING. And that's the reason why the score is so low for such a superb product. Never before anyone has even tried to approach ww II tanks in such a great, MMO way. The graphics after the 8.0 patch are very decent, and the added physics let's You take advantage of terrain and environment. There are good and worse maps, but I've never seen one criticized by all - there are always at least 50% positive reviews. The modules upgrade system is really expanded and the satisfaction when You kill a Tier 8 tank being a Tier 5 is just an amazing feeling which can be felt only by people who spend some time to learn basics. Matchmaking is really ok - There are battles where You play against weaker, there are battles where You are a victim, but cooperation with other team members let You get through even toughest battles. This is not a surprise that most people playing the game are lemmings and are very passive in what they do (plus there worst part is a dude in $$$ Lowe or T34 who has 300 battles and doesn't even know the map, but he MUST play on high tier because screwing up for his team satsifies him). Still surprisingly, there are people who want to cooperate and sometimes team consisting of three cooperating dudes in platoon and 12 lemmings can do a lot. To sum it up - You won't like this game if You like easy, casual playing, if You like scripts, fireworks and lasers. But if You're searching for a true MMO challenge and won't cry when You get killed - this one is definetly a title for You. Just please. Start from 1st tier. Expand
  57. Dec 17, 2012
    Grinding is not fun. The cost of faster advancement is not cheap. You can easily spent more than $100 on this game.

You will be cycled through a pattern of being frustratingly weak and slow, until you upgrade your tank fully. You can either then try to get your crew experience if you enjoy fighting in that tier and want to stick to a tank, or move on and restart a new cycle of
    frustration and upgrading. Those who upgraded or have paid, will enjoy destroying others in your helpless state... "zomg, I killed 5+ tanks! So epic!"

I personally got fed up by Tier 3/4. I finally found a tank I liked, the German "Luchs", but the reward for the grind just wasn't very satisfying. Some have said that Tier 6 tank that my Luchs can research into, a VK2801 or something, was amazing, but I rather not play a game with so much grinding, unless it had a better social aspect.

To say the least, I really like the music.
  58. Dec 29, 2012
    The negative scores are just because the persons didn't understand the game.. The matchmaking is fair and it's not pay2win. Sometimes it's frustrating (if you don't understand the game and aren't willed to learn) but the game keeps your win rate about 48% (2% draws, 50% loses) if you are an average player. No one with over 1000 battles has a win rate under 42%.
    The tanks are balanced too.
    There matchmaking only puts tanks in a game if there is just 2 levels difference and a tank 2 levels lower than the other can damage it if you know where to aim.. The premium tanks which you can buy for real money aren't overpowered. They are as well as the other tanks on their level. You can buy premium ammo for ingame credits or real money. Premium players only earn more experience/credits so they aren't better than other players, they just reach the next tank/gun/tracks/... faster.
    The game is not about getting a level 10 tank (last level). The game is about having fun on your level. And sometimes it's more funny to play a level 2 tank than a level 10.
  59. Feb 14, 2013
    World of Tanks is typically billed as an MMO, but this game had it’s formative months in an era when “MOBA” wasn’t even a genre title, and since everyone else is comfortable calling it an MMO, it stuck. It is, however, an online battle arena.

When you first register (at http://worldoftanks.com/; completely free) and log in, you’ll be given a selection of several light tanks to choose
    from to get yourself into battle, straight away. These tanks will never need to be repaired (which costs credits earned simply by playing matches). They’re you’re old stand-byes. If all else fails (read: your medium and heavy tanks get junked), these will always be there for you to jump back into some games, and earn yourself some credits to fix up those scrapped monsters. This is the reason why you honestly never have to spend a dime on this game. You will always have a tank with which to earn currency, and not just credits. You also slowly accumulate “free experience” which you can then use to upgrade your tanks and crew, or trade it in for gold to buy new tanks of varying class. You can also outright purchase gold, if you’re not earning fast enough, but you never have to. Personally, I always tend to pick up a little bit of currency for cash. It helps support the fine men and women who make these wonderful games, and my middle name happens to be “Instant Gratification.”

The game plays as you’d expect an arcade style tank simulator to play. Your WASD controls, move and turn your craft, while the turret is tied to your mouse-look. Range finding in WoT is extremely easy if an enemy tank is spotted by an ally, there’s a red diamond that appears above them and the map is automatically pinged. You know you’re properly aiming at an enemy because they’ll be outlined in a bold, red line when they’re in your sights. Two reticles aid you in aiming, as well a static circle that stays centered on your screen and not only marks where you’re aiming, but also tightens to indicate a steady, well fired shot the longer you remain still… moving and firing is a bit difficult to master; and a semi-transparent circle that actually accounts for terain, showing you were your shell will land in relation to where you’re aiming. It’s a simple system, but ingenious. It conveys all the important information regarding your aim in as compact a package as possible.

World of Tanks is beautiful. The textures are appropriately gritty, but also colorful. In the screenshot above, you can see the blue of the sky, the white of the clouds, the red roofs, and green trees. Though this is a war game, gunmetal gray is nowhere to be found! And the attention to detail is incredible. Look at the segmented windows, with cracked and broken glass. The piles of rubble that seem to have each individual rock textured and shadowed; in other areas of this city, park benches are present, wrought iron fences, and telephone poles all modeled with a great degree of care… which you can then roll over in your hulking slab of armored cavalry. Shells hit the dirt and send earth flying, exhaust fumes belch forth from the bellies of your steel beasts. I have, and often, been shot dead in the middle of taking in the environments, because they’re just so nice to look at. Most free-to-play games don’t have this level of detail… Hell, some box titles don’t have this level of detail! All those years working on proper battle field visuals has really been put on display by Wargaming.net in WoT.

Verdict: ++Good (9.0 out of 10) Though this particular game style won’t appeal to everyone, and there is a limited amount of game modes to participate in, both competitive arena gamers and WWII buffs will get tons of mileage out of World of Tanks. What is here is done extremely well, and the Wargaming.net team knows tanks better than any other development house in the business, providing proper heft to the tanks themselves, excellent play-mechanics and responsive controls, as well as authentic sound effects for the cannons and engines. It’s fun for 15 minutes, or 5 hours!
  60. Jul 25, 2013
    Im giving this game a zero because it simply, pay to win, and the game is setup to basically make free to play insanely frustrating and pointless, you are literally cannon fodder for wallet warriors. I know they are a business but this is an extremely greedy money mongering business that has corrupt practices, meaning I wouldnt support it based on that alone. I wont go into speculative reasons of their wrong behavior such as, premium shells rolling higher, matchmaking being rigged, or releasing overpowered pay to win content (then nerfing it when they release new pay to win content, aka planned obsolescence), or anything else which cant be verified but is widely thought as true, I will simply state the facts which are more than enough to show you this game is not worth your time or money. Expand
  61. Nov 14, 2013
    This game brings again all those metal monsters in reality. But after long gameplay, I lost motivation and clicked on uninstall.
    I found, game has terrible battle generator. From 10 battles you are fighting aproximately 6-7 battles with tanks, where you have no chance (example B1 tank against KV-1S, Churchill), because your tank has gun which don't scratch enemy tank and you need gold
    ammo or you have to find target good for you. But also after that you need to shoot 4 10 times to destroy enemy and he shoot only once (KV-1S) and you are out. This result in situation, where you have no fun in 6-7 games and you are trying to hide your tank and trying to shoot from cover on destroyable target Here is nice to see, creators are trying to get money from you to solve frustrations (gold ammo quick research).
    Another bad point is hitting system. For example, I was hit in front right track(small peace visible behind house) and my engine blow up I used this bug against many other opponents and it works. Few hits in track and tank was destroyed. Also I hit enemy turret ring few times, but no damage. Many times I hit enemy, but shell just went through tank and explode behind tank. And there are many other situations, when you are looking like bacteria in pharmacy.
    But yes in those game, where you are fighting against tanks within same Tier (+-1 one above/lower it's really nice game for relax and fun (is needed close one eye, when you see hitting model).
    Game is not consuming so much time, if you can control yourself.
  62. Nov 24, 2013
    Do not waste time with this game. Between the admin's power-hungry actions, the developer's lack of assistance, glaring latency and framerate issues, obvious bugs, twisted balancing problems and pay to win model, you will only find yourself on a path of frustration and annoyance.

I have a top of the line machine, yet I cannot run this game on even the BASIC graphics settings without
    MASSIVE framerate issues. Latency on both servers constantly fluctuates and that is IF you can even connect and STAY connected. I constantly have problems with the in-game tanks as well, being right up against enemies and STILL missing (server problems)

Include the fact that the developers ONLY show up to punish people badmouthing the game and it's creators and NOT to assist ANYONE well, it just goes downhill from there. The concept is amazing and well executed but the rest of the problems this game faces makes it not even worth playing.
  63. Mar 10, 2014
    Though the game has been improved over the patches and updates, The game is still severely lacking. Unless you spend the time to grind experience for the over priced max level gun, your tank is complete trash. The infamous Stock tank grind can be over with quickly, or it can carry on for an eternity. Wargaming doesn't listen to community feedback, and never will unless it means they earn some money. Almost every single map in this game is unbalanced, with one side having more advantage then the other side, Such as in Mines, Sacred Valley, Hidden village, etc, and often the maps are designed for one specific type of tank, leaving either Artillery, Tank destroyers, or Heavy tanks in the dust, as they serve no purpose, (Artillery on Himmelsdorf) (Heavy tanks on Malinovka) (Tank destroyers on Sand river).
    The main Problem with World of Tanks however, is the player base. You get many types of undesirable players, which there is no shortage of. You get the Ragers, The whiners, the Statistic Elitists, the butthurts, the annoying little children,the Dead player who orders players around like Field Marshal Rommel, The Bots, The wallet warriors, and the weekend players. All these players in one form or another ruin the atmosphere of the game, and take away any form of enjoyment. Often players will charge one side of the map, and die, leaving the surviving players to defend against the enemies (which usually outnumber them). With almost 5k battles, I can say this game is addicting, But if you don't spend money on it, it is a dull grind fest. Also I note the Russian tanks seem to have a Bias to them. This game is far from being historically accurate and the majority of the tanks in the game are from blueprints. Its a mediocre free game, But its better then a lot of the other crap we get for free games. Be prepared for frustration if you are planning on playing WOT.
  64. Jun 27, 2014
    World of Tanks is one of those games that is novel and fun to play for a while but you quickly begin to ask yourself why you keep at it. Sure, driving history's most renowned tanks around and blowing things up is fun. The shooting system of the game is incredibly well done with believable gun dispersion and inclusion of details like the fact that armor effectiveness increases with angle. This allows for fun little tricks like angling the hull of your vehicle to turn ordinarily tough armor to invincible. Shot leading also factors in on moving targets and you had better stop or at least slow down to take a shot because there isn't any run and gun in this game. The tank armor models are also well-refined allowing for the little guy to pin the bullies up if he knows what he is doing.

But that aside, the variation of the game is incredibly limited with its few game types and virtual lack of meta games. This isn't even mentioning the time requirement for each game which often is often lengthy with its hurry up and wait style of gameplay. This can be attributed to many factors but most of all (and sadly) the game's core mechanics like the ultra-long range mega-damage artillery, chance-based spotting rather than continual sight of targets, and camouflage system, all of which strongly encourage camping. That all i can actually stomach.

What I principally took issue with was how World of Tanks seems to think its players want to spend literally months getting those big bully tanks. The level of grinding is game isn't even rivaled by World of Warcraft if that is believable. Managing your bankroll is also a huge chore which forces you to play tanks you would rather not just because they make money. Tanks also start in virtually unplayable configurations that leave you out the money for at least the first 50 or so games in it until you can upgrade them. Anything past the mid-level tanks will always leave you out the money which significantly saps the fun out of playing them. And good luck ever getting a max level tank. You'll be spending $50 minimum on the premium tanks to keep your expenses in the black and you'll have to drop out of school and/or quit work if you want to get one in under 6 months.

Of course if you like that kind of slow progression and those extended management exercises, World of Tanks has plenty of that. What ultimately ferreted my resignation from its servers was the bugs, the glitches, and the downright unpolished, unfinished hackwork that was the game's patching system. Tanks get added on a such a regular basis its dizzying. You lose track of which one is which. Meanwhile, the matchmaker still makes no record of player ability resulting in many landslide games; one side of a map is heavily favored resulting in more forgone conclusions; and preexisting tanks fall into disuse because they are inappropriately tiered or because the new ones do everything better anyways.

Furthermore I've had shots literally pass through tanks without incident; I've been hurled out of the map; I've had client crashes that cost me the game; and these all occurred with a frequency that makes counting inane. The most grievous of all the sins of this game though - the patcher didn't even work. Every time I downloaded a patch, it would corrupt my install and force me to redownload the entire 10 gb game - NOT OKAY!
  65. May 29, 2011
    If you can look past the lack of any sort of story/plot/etc. and focus on the actual gameplay, World of Tanks can be quite enjoyable. Like Counter Strike, this game doesn't have an engrossing story, it's all about the hot tank on tank action. Above all else, this game is quite fun, especially if you're a World War II fan or tank fan, like I am.

The combat can be swift, tactically
    challenging and all around a blast to play. There's a wide variety of tank types to play, from the Leichtraktor (loltraktor), MS-1 and T1 Cunningham, to the awe inspiring, 200 ton Maus, the swift and deadly IS-7, the devestating T30, and almost everything in between.

The game features fairly realistic hit location specific damage. Shoot one in the engine, and the enemy tank might catch fire, burning to death. Shoot his gun and you can destroy his accuracy. Shoot his treads to knock them off and immobilize him for a bit, so your team can finish him off. It does have it's flaws, and I'll discuss those:

1) It ain't free. I have yet to play a pay for free game that was actually free, and this is no exception. As long as you're willing to pony up a few dollars to help get you started though, it will likely be worth it.

2) Russian bias. Many of the Soviet tanks are overpowered for what seems like no good reason. It's an ongoing hot topic of discussion on the forums how the developers will nerf an American/German tank sighting "balance" reasons, while buffing an already overpowered Soviet tank like the IS-4 for "historical accuracy". A great example is the Su-85 tier 5 tank destroyer. Fully upgraded, it's capable of performing better than the Jagdpanzer German tank destroyer which is a tier above it. Another example is the KV. Easily upgraded, a decent KV driver can decimate an entire team by himself. Another example is the IS vs. the Tiger. The Tiger, the most powerful tank of its era, is little more than a paperweight until fully upgraded, while the IS is a solid tank almost from the first moment you get it. The list goes on.

3) Platoons. You have to pay gold (purchased with real money) to have a premium account, and only then can you form a platoon to play with up to 2 friends. This one issue almost made me not want to play anymore. In order to play a multiplayer game with my multiplayer friends, I have to pay real money? You're kidding, right? Well, I decided I liked the game enough to try it out for a month... and here I've paid for another month of premium. This is still the biggest issue in my mind, not being able to play with the friends you make in the game seems really silly. I can see how it could cause the game community to lack cohesion and longevity over time.

4) SPGs or self propelled guns. They suck the fun right out of the game. They're capable of 1-shotting tanks even 2 tiers higher than them from across the map, and they amount to little more than a griefer mechanic. They are a good idea, but are in need of some balancing or some game mechanics retooling. If you're in a good tank brawl, blasting away at the enemy, and taking hits from them, take a deep breath, because your good fun is always just 1 SPG shot away from being ruined. Most battles quickly devolve into hiding from the SPGs more than dealing with the enemy tanks, which slows down the game tempo, destroying the flow of the game and turning it into a campfest rather than a tank vs. tank slugfest.

There are many battles I've had that have overcome the SPG issues, often times by having our SPGs take theirs out early on, our light tank scouts take them out, or the other team simply not spawning with very many SPGs (or even 0!) and these fights that occur SPG-free are almost always fun and rewarding.

The gameplay is quite fun. Tanks hide in cover behind buildings, conceal themselves in bushes, rush in wolfpacks, flank their opponents in pincer attacks, and various other maneuvers to gain the upper hand. Almost every tank has a different playstyle to learn and use effectively. Played well, even a low tier tank can have a devastating impression on the enemy. Played poorly, your high tier tanks will effectively sabotage their own team by denying them an essential element of the team's composition. Player skill accounts for as much of the effectiveness of their tank as the tank crew and equipment they have on it. Reveling in the challenge of learning the intricacies of these tanks and playing them to their fullest is what has kept me playing this game for the past couple of months, and I don't intend to stop.

World of Tanks is by no means perfect, but the developers have designed a good mixture of arcade action and WWII tank simulation that I think most WWII tank fans would find enjoyable. It's certainly worth the download, since it's free.
  66. Jun 3, 2011
    As a quite big fan of ww2 armor i quite enjoy this game, its one of those pickup and play games, no manuals, no guides that take two weeks just to get ready to click start game.. Quite fun and relaxing but with some very intense momments. Good diversity of vehicles that dont require players to grind for a month just to be able to have fun. All in all i do like this game, quite unique and interesting, 10 from me Expand
  67. Oct 16, 2011
    The lack of diversity in multiplayer gaming modes makes the game more boring the longer you play. As tanks get heavier and heaver the fun is mostly removed from the game. Tanks seem unbalanced based on damage and reload for the same tiers. Once new game modes are added the game will likely be more enjoyable.
  68. Apr 15, 2012
    I have been playing since open beta and agree with many of the other low reviews. This game while being genuinly free to play hence i awarded 1 point :) Is quite simply not fun, after playing the same gamemode on simular maps for over 1,000 times this game tires. The ideas as said in other reviews are awesome however just dont translate into a fun game, my main problem is the system for upgrading the tank and the teiring, with for example a Ferdinand, one of the best tank destroyers of world war 2 you come up against tanks from the 1950s and many prototypes and as the starting gun on this tank means u cannot kill tanks ur level it becomes tedious and frustrating, only after about 100 battles can you unlock the best gun and it becomes playable, this is very simular with other tanks also. Matchmaking is also a contrivertial issue as the battles are oftern heavily biased to one team. My second biggest fault after enjoyment is the lack of community, I myself am in a clan and have played clanwars however the developers of the game make little attempt to communicate with players other than tedious events, on the forums the "community team" only post to remove explicit content which I think says alot about their approach to the games community. I much prefer Blizzards approach of atleast getting involved in conversations which helpes players feel more part of the game. There are many ways to make this game great however in my opinion it is likly to be another of those games which could have been awesome which is however destined to be a flop, its lack of penetration itno the European market says its all. Another word of warning is to ignore most of the critic reviews as many are simply fantasy and quite irritating. Sorry if this has dissapointed you, just trying to stop people wasting as much time as I have :) Thanks for reading Expand
  69. May 26, 2012
    The game is fun and good. It's one of the best example of good F2P. I played it over 2 years now, and only spent like 5$ just for new slots, because i wanted to buy even more tanks). Without premium you progress faster then in ,for example, Tribes: Ascend and you'll only lack credits if you play bad/ only have top vehicles (They are not profitable even with premium acc so there would be wide range of tanks playing). Gold(paid_ shells are only used in Clan Wars, Some people just don't get that if they are not top, they should fight low tier tanks, but i think it's CoD illness that makes them think that if they are on a light tank(that used mainly as scout and point targets for arty, because it's really fast and can avoid shells) they need to somehow fight with the top tanks. Expand
  70. Jul 9, 2012
    Just plain brilliant!
    It's fun, realistic and easy on matchmaking.
    Good community and I have loads of fun playing it.
    Now with the new update there are more maps and gameplay stuff to play. And for a free game they sure update it a lot making it never boring.
  71. Oct 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:
    -Anti-map/wall/ESP hack feature. The server determines who can see you and who you can see so hackers cannot shoot undetected tanks. They can still shoot randomly or take an estimated shoot though.
    -Lots of tanks.
    -Multiple nations.
    -Lots of equipment for each tank.
    -Team balance algorithm that gives you a variety of tank lineups per battle.
    -Battlefields are full of objects.
    -You can now ride down cliffs.
    -Sophisticated game mechanics.
    -World of Tanks allows you to mod the game.

Cons:
    -Very horrible grind. If you are a free player you automatically suffer a -50% credit and experience penalty. Depending on your tank, you may need to fight over 200-400+ battles to get the tank crew to 100%. After that it gets even worse, you need to do an additional 2000-5000+ tank battles to acquire enough experience to fully train the crew.
    -Boring game modes. I would like to see modes such as light tanks vs light tanks only or team death matches were the team who gets x kills first, wins.
    -Crew training>Player skill. The player skill doesn't really get better, instead its the crew's performance that gets better that makes the player look like they are skilled when really the player never really improves.
    -Sight mechanics suck. In this game, wild tank sees you through wall. Wild tank appears in the open field out of nowhere.
    -Physics limitations. There are tanks in the game that actually go faster than 72km/h but the game forces the tanks to cap at 72km/h.
    -Where are all the tanks. If this is really the world of tanks, then where are the modern tanks? Copyright issues?
    -Game balance hurts the historical performance of tanks.
    -Very few maps. Game gets repetitive real fast.
    -In order to get to a tank you want, you have to play some really horrible tanks.
    -Sometimes you get put in battles with tanks that are 7 tiers above you. You have absolutely no chance of surviving.
    -Lacks good music.
    -Lacks foreign language dialogue. All dialogue is spoken in English.
  72. Mar 11, 2013
    Great game overall. It gets better and better as you progress and kills are very rewarding. The maps are built for teamplay and tactics and you must learn to play tactically. If you can learn how to play this game I believe you are open for a great time.
  73. Apr 13, 2013
    Excellent game, very very good maps, game models/mechanics/art. Challenging in the fact you do need to play each tank to its strengths, for example using a light tank for their speed and scouting NOT going toe to toe with a heavy tank. The game requires a tactical mind for example in a tank with strong turret armor but weak hull armor sitting hull down (sitting with only your turret above cover) is a good tactic. I personally have played for over 6 months and used premium once (24 hour) its good to use but its not game dependent, so you can have plenty of fun for free. Expand
  74. Apr 15, 2013

Let me give a quick summary so everyone can read this. This game is about giving people who pay money an ego boost and good time, thinking they are good. If you read the forums its painfully obvious the hordes of pay to win wallet warriors deny its pay to win when it clearly is. Its like if everyone was saying the earth is flat, its just not true, sorry. So these people who pay to win think they are good at games. All MMOs are for low skill players for the most part, thats how they make their money, but this is doubly worse because its pay to win with an illusion of fairness. Its a slow paced game with basic strategic elements so old people with real jobs (or idiots with credit cards) can pay WoT a bunch of money to make them feel like they are any good at games, but they are not. Thats why random battle doesn't have any ELO or else the pay to win wallet warriors egos would stop getting fed and they wouldnt pay to win anymore, but with this grand illusion the suckers pay in to the system to continue to feel they have any skill in a game at all. I mean $50 for a TANK in a GAME... its just shameless greed. This company makes double digit millions of profit per month on this trash.

Pay to win. There is direct pay to win, one quote of the devs goes "you should pay us money if you want to be the best", quite literally too. No that is not how competitive gameplay and clan wars works, whoever is the best skilled should win, and the best and pro scene should be getting paid for creating idols that make people want to play the game and spend money, oh but wait the game is pay to win so it could never be taken seriously. You dont HAVE to use the best items but regardless it creates an unfair playing field where money gives advantages even if both players are maxed out and equally skilled, this is NOT acceptable. Anyone who cares about competitive or fair play will automatically hate this game. Also the russian tanks are OP by the russian dev, great job.

The grind to even getting to that unfair pay to win playing field is so unfair. Basically you start with a stock tank that is absolutely horrible and cant beat anyone, and you run in and die until you get it fitted out completely, but guess what, you still lose to people who have better tanks through the unfair matchmaking where you face opponents you cannot damage. Their is an illusion of weakspots and theoretically you "could" kill those tanks, but statisically, even if you are skilled and they are not, it is extremely unlikely and they would have to be afk in order for you to kill them. But how can you target a weakspot if your aiming reticule is as big as the tank itself when you are trying to hit something the size of a dinner plate. Its like carnival games that are rigged with a bunch of flashing lights so if you pay them more money you will win eventually. Its kind of like arcade games back in the day, except at least those were fun.
    And pay to win wallet warriors will have 100% crews which have bonus skills while you have nothing and every stat you have is worse because of your crew skills.
    And you have to pay for repairs and ammo, so your xp and silver you get is reduced by a much larger percent than a premium player so you basically have to grind 5x more even though they only get 50% more experience, because that 50% more xp+silver is pure profit, that they got more kills in because they had better tanks with full 100% crews, upgraded camo, the best gear for the tank, and expensive equipment you wont be able to afford for a long time. And they can essentially buy their experience and move it to another tank, so they never have to drive stock since xp is locked per tank unless you guessed it, you pay to win it to another tank
    Again, the games random battle is not skill based matchmaking, its there so pay to win wallet warriors can kill you, you are cannon fodder, you are basically a bot with the added benefit of wallet warriors egos being satisfied.
  75. Jun 29, 2013
    I played this game a lot, got many top tier tanks, and low. Yeah, i did spend some money on this game for gold, to buy premium.. Was very fun game at start. But the higher tier tank you get, the harder it is to get money to buy a new tank. People here whine about xp to get higher tier tanks, that is not the problem. The problem in this game is to make money to get the higher tier tanks. I played this game until now, 30.06.2013 but im getting tiered of getting no money, not premium anymore, and its been a while since i had. The good things about this game is: teamplay, lots of variasjons, you got arty, light, medium, heavy and tank destroyers. Every tank has a role to play. The bad things about this game is: campers that can ruin the whole match for a team. High tier tanks meets low tier tanks.

There are a lot that i have not comment, that is good and bad, but the worst thing that I dont like, is that when someone type something, you cant see what they typed after its gone. They should have something that would allowed us to see what has been written. I emailed them about it to, but they didnt care i think.

So the best thing about this game: You have a TANK, that is awesome
    The worst: Getting money, if u dont win, and tank is destroyed, at higher tier battles, you get a great loss in money. Top tier tanks cost around 1.1k for every round you shoot. So if u lose a battle and tank is destroyed, you need to win around 3 battles with almost no damage on you, only to get your money back
  76. Nov 5, 2013
    I have played this game since day one of the beta, while its far from prefect it is alot of fun and its more or less free. The servers where overloaded this weekend so it is popular and you will not be waiting for a game. This game is not really designed to be played solo you need to join a clan get a headset and roll into action, A clan be be easily found on the forums.
    The biggest
    issue at the moment to me is the balance in the game with the match making and it can be unfair its hit and miss sometimes. The other main gear grinding issue is the Devs over power Russian tanks and under power non-russian.

Over all its worth trying and it is free but it might not be for everyone, but play with freinds and you will have fun.
  77. Nov 6, 2013
    Gotta love the people ranting about how much they hate the game. To bad most of them are doing it because they lack complete skill. I suppose that is going to be a problem if your the Number 1 most played game in the world. Never has one game hooked me for so long.
    The gameplay balance is fantastic. And matches are short (at most 15 min) making this game perfect for those who want a
    study break before their mid terms, or job. The graphics are average, but because of that the game will run on almost any PC, which explains its world wide user base. And if cranked up tot he max, their not terrible. Some of the great features of this game are the lack of being able to hack the game due to all major computations being done on the server instead of the PC, only real usable cheats would be aimbots, and such, and the game doesn't reward reflex shooting so there is not much gained using a aimbot. The game is simple enough in terms of basic gameplay that my grandfather who has never played a videogame in his life was able to play. Yet the true strength of the game lies in those that hone their skills and play competitively, The game has grown into one of the largest E-Sports in the world with top prizes for tournaments, and the season running over a million dollars in prize money.
    Outside of the gameplay, there are several cool things about the game. The first being that this game has one of the best free to play setups I've yet seen, the game doesn't have a pay to win option, real-world money really only accelerates your progress in getting new and better tanks so out side of a few tanks that you have to pay money for (and they are not better than their peers, they only make more money) a player can unlock all but 20 out of the 300+ tanks in the game without dropping a penny. Also new game content is immediately given to everyone not just those with money, and new content comes out every month, which along with physics and graphics updates, keeps the game fresh and new feeling.
    Another good feature is that the games economy and real world persistent territory meta game (think risk for player made clans) are combined with other games released by the same company (world of warplanes, and soon world of warships)
    Also just playing the game players will learn alot about tank combat, history and the history of individual tanks, so the game even teaches you some history and makes it so you want to lean more about the tanks you are driving.
    Lastly the company that created this game, donates a lot to charities and has even funded expeditions to recover old and rare crashed planes, and wrecked tanks, these guys are devoted to history

In short this is a game which will get you hooked, keep you reeled in, and is a blast to play with ever more layers of gameplay depth that are discovered as one improves. A must play game.
  78. Dec 19, 2013
    This game is awful and since we play a game because we want to have fun, this game has nothing about fun. the FPS are awful especially in the bushes and if you don't pay, don't expect to perform or win any game. You need to pay to win and this game is more expensive than any other Multiplayer you'll find on the internet. Don't waste your time with this game.
  79. Apr 28, 2014
    The game is too much based on teamplay and there seems little effort for this within random matches. The graphics are not that stunning. The gameplay is slow, not a lot of action most of the time. As a tier 5 tank you get matched up against tier 8 tanks making you virtually useless. I honestly believe they can / could've made this game way better. If you like shooter games you should NOT play this game as it's not skill-based at all but favors tactical gameplay which gets lost in overpowered and imbalanced tanks and teams. Expand
  80. May 5, 2014
    World of Tanks is a free-to-play, online PC arcade tank game featuring tanks and fabricated tanks from World War II. It has a good array of tanks to play. The game offers good customer service and average graphics. Poor match-making is a major weakness. There is high emphasis on rankings/stats. The community seems largely unhappy and unfriendly. The game has perhaps the most dyfunctional, impolite and angry game community I've ever encountered. Perhaps it is because of the excessive emphasis on PVP competition and the aforementioned match-making issues or the rankings/stats emphasis. Suspicious win or loss streaks may appear to be a manipulation of match outcomes. This too may be a cause of the unhappiness of many players. To the game's credit there is good avoidance of "pay-to-win" aspects but at the same time the game includes big grinds that promote the "need" to pay. While it is not a simulator immersion is hurt by some strange game system mechanics that make identifying "cause and effect" difficult. But then, as stated, it is arcade. Presently World of Tanks is the only modern PC WWII tank game available which accounts for some of its appeal. However, it is not a good gaming experience overall. Expand
  81. Jun 7, 2014
    Good fictional gameplay, nice selection of tanks, upgrades, decent graphics and sound. The game is ridden with bugs and glitches, which developers don't seem in a hurry to fix. many parts of mechanics are just pure fiction, and some tanks are completely taken out of the historical fiction area.
    But it's not the worst. The community is absolutely bunch of kids. You'll experience nothing
    but disappointment with strong language comments, blames, and hipocrisy in game and on the forums. The devs made it hard to complain, to keep the player numbers high.
    The matchmaking is bugged as well, you'll be shooting targets which you can't penetrate, not even in their weakest point, yet they can kill you in one shot. Yep, the Tier 10 tanks are so powerful, and all other tiers matched together with them, are just there to keep them happy.
  82. Apr 16, 2011
    First of all, I am a freak for WW2 tanks, and armor, and because of that, when I heard for this game, I knew I had to play it. I said "No matter how bad it may suck, I am going to like it, because it is ww2 armor". Oh, how wrong was I.
    By the shallowness of the reviews of the people who gave this game high scores, you can tell what kind of people are impressed by this game. Kids. This is a
    grindfest. It is NOT free. Sure, you can play for free, but only if you are a masochistic freak, and if you want to play XXX battles with a tank, just to get to the new one and start over. Horrible.
    Next, there are no game modes except for random battles. If you pay for free you wont be able to take your friend to battle with you, so that much for multiplay, and fun with friends.
    That said, the balancer that makes these random matches sucks SO BAD, that on the loading screen, where you see the tanks, you already know what team is going to win. There are many OP tanks, idiot noobs that make you lose a game, in game credits, and prolong the already hellish grindfest.

Lastly, I played this from the time of the closed beta stage, back in 2010, and the game is the very same now, in the release version. The version is 0.6.3.10 obviously half of a game. There are supposed to be 3 nations, Germany, USSR and USA. The USA tank destroyer tree is missing, level 8 SPG are missing for all nations. Tons of bugs and imbalances are being reported all over the official forums, no one is doing ANYTHING. Calling this a free MMO is a lie. It is a single player game unless you pay for it. But dont bother. Just lots of frustration and anger here.
  83. Jul 7, 2011
    This is a fantastic game. I started playing about a month ago. My first impression was that the interface etc is almost completely bug free! This shouldn't be noteworthy, but given the state of most new release online multi-player games, the fact that it is bug free is awesome. Starting off in a little, weak, slow tank seemed a bit painful at first, but once you get the hang of it and skill up to higher techs, the game becomes extremely addictive and great fun. It is possible to play without spending a cent of real money, but I found that spending a minimal amount ( Expand
  84. Dec 12, 2013
    The game continues going from strength to strength, as the constant updates and patches continually adjust the game for the most part pretty well balanced, bar a few examples.

The whinging about WoT being Pay2Win is utter rubbish. The only things not available are Premium tanks which for the most part are worse than the normal ones, or a Premium account which just ups your XP and
    credit earning rate. Along with the new mission system gaining extra credits is fairly easy.

The game rewards skillful play, and rewards you using your tanks strengths and guarding it's weaknesses. It can take a while to learn but it can make very rewarding gameplay.
  85. Dec 22, 2011
    This game is really geat addiction to my and all my freinds. Game is really interesting and fast. There is no several months of one story/battle, but only fast 15 minutes battles that give you more or less silver nad XP witch give you ability to progress to better tanks. I play this for 9 months and there is time when I am bored with game but because clan wars and team mates I come back every time :-)
    Only bad thing in game is overprised gold witch give you better progress in game.
  86. Jan 18, 2012
    First of all I have to say game is fun at the times, but it is also very frustrating so you can easily forget the fun part. I'm used to grinding games, I'm grind addict. I don't mind spending hours and hours to get to the next tank. I don't think tanks should be "skipped" just to get to the last tank possible asap. Every tank you play has its strengths and weaknesses, there isn't perfect tank. I wouldn't consider this game free 2 play, its more like a demo you get to play for free. If you want to advance in the game to the end tier you will need to pay for premium account. Although I have around 4000 matches played, I'm still not bored even though game lacks game modes badly. Maps are poorly designed in my opinion, maybe a bit too small too. Most of the maps are either fully open with hardly any cover, or you get 2-3 narrow passages, then it becomes stupid lemmings train match (everyone goes to one side). But all that isn't as bad as matchmaking system which kills ALL of the fun out of the game. Seems like it gets worse with every next patch they release. Now don't get me wrong, I know each tanks' role and what it is supposed to do. I don't mind being placed in tier 8-10 match in tier 4 light tank. Let me give you example of terrible matchmaking. You drive KV-3 (tier 6), very slow (so its not scout), and it gets you into tier 8-10 matches with more than half of the team being 9-10 tier. You really stand no chance in such game. I mean you can still win if your team is good enough, but then again where is the fun playing such match? You cant really damage anything, you can just hide and hope to get that last shot on someone. There are many examples like that you will 80% of your games be thrown into unfair matches. You will be on the bottom of the list, and that's when frustration comes in. Tank companies on the other hand have tier limits which is good, and I don't see any reasons why "standard" battle mode isn't using same rules. WG devs just want to force you to buy premium account so you can get to the tier X ASAP and then forget about lower tier tanks... What's the point... I want to enjoy playing every tank not just tier X. And do you know why? Because nothing really changes at that tier, sure tanks may be looking more cool. Have more ammo and firepower, but the gameplay stays exactly the same. It never evolves to something. And all this could be easily forgiven (long grinding, poor map designs, very rude community if I may add, lot of kids etc.) if it wasn't for that terrible matchmaking system which day refuse to improve just so you can spend your money on the game. It is fail Free 2 play title. Expand
  87. Apr 3, 2013
    One of my favorite free to play games and one of the first ones I ever started playing. I still jump in occasionally to play. Great community and it's always fun to try different tank.
  88. Aug 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An interesting concept which is spoiled by redundant play and unfair match making. The customer support borders on awful and the Moderators seems to be the type you could only find in a Stalinist fan club. The game is server side based, and frequently has issues with frame rates and bandwidth.

This is a pay to play game, which seems constructed to suck money out of it's paying member, while treating those members like trash.

The more you play World of Tanks, the more you will grow to hate it. It is the worst online game I have ever played.

I would give it a negative rating, as a warning to those who may be tempted to try the game, but the scale only goes down to zero.
  89. Sep 3, 2013
    I just love the tank just seeing them tanks makes me all happy inside, I love the tanks.

Shiny tanks, funny tanks, free tanks. I just love dem tanks. Whenever I see a tank I just want to drop to the floor and clap. I fricken love the tanks, just gimmie some tanks.
  90. Sep 19, 2013
    This is an MMO-style game.
    If you have ever played any you will know that grinding is a part of gameplay unless you have a big team (in WoT's case, 15 people minimum).
    Game has 10 tiers of tanks, and as you might expect, the higher you get, the longer it takes to 'level up' (or... 'tier up'). Personally, after good 2 years of half hardcore half casual gameplay, I have just 2 Tier 10
    vehicles, mostly because top tier's are not always the most entertaining ones. On top of that I own ~20 vehicles between tiers 5 and 9, often unlocked out of curiosity.

To all beginners: this game may be similar to LoL, but it's much more maths/estimation based. You have numbers: armor thickness, penetration, damage, angles weakspots etc that you have to all take into consideration when fighting against stronger enemies. It has a fairly steep learning curve, and it takes time to memorize characteristics of most common tanks in the game.
    Also, if you came here for historical battles, you will be disappointed. This game is actively balanced, meaning Tigers and even King Tigers are just Tier 7 and 8, meaning 20+ tanks can roflstomp you easily if you don't roll your armor using at least a little strategy.

Lastly, the only reason I am giving it 9 out of 10, is because I did experience the feeling you get when you keep getting vs 2-Tier-Higher-Tanks style battles (which used to be up to 5 Tier higher in early days). Which can and will be annoying until you get to know the armor you fight against
  91. Oct 5, 2013
    I started playing this game with good expectations, and to start with things were ok.... i ignored the 95% ricochet rate, the dodgy maps with slight slopes that defeated your tank and other gripes. Once i got to tier 4 and my carefully upgraded light tank was automatically thrown against tier 8 heavy tanks with no way of changing this, i gave up in disgust. One of the worst games i have ever played. Expand
  92. Oct 14, 2013
    Excellent free to play title with lovely g, new patches every month and great future ahead. I really enjoyed the lower tiers and i recommend starting with the American or Russian heavy tanks, the t29, t18 or the whole kv line are a real pleasure to play
  93. Oct 15, 2013
    I had a very mixed feeling when i first touched this game. I was never really into tanks, and i doubted that this game would fit me thematically, but high praise of a friend brought me to give it a try nontheless.

World of Tanks is a third- and first person shooter with tanks. If you have shooter experience already: imagine this game just like any other shooter, with the twist that
    everything is somehow slower (this is an over-simplification, but it gives you a basic idea if you never played this game). This does not make the game boring, it rather makes it highly tactical: positioning, and being at the right spot in the right time wins or looses you your games.

The game features several nations (such as Germany, UDSSR and USA). The game devs are actively adding more nations, and add new tanks to existing nations. You do not have to decide for a nation, and can have tanks of all nations if you want to. Most nations feature a wide array of vehicles, most of them are pretty distinctive from each other.

You start out with tier 1 vehicles. By playing the game, each vehicle individually gathers experience, which you can use to improve your vehicle through researching better guns and other upgrades. Once you unlocked specific upgrades and gathered enough experience, you can unlock tanks of the next tier. The starting vehicles feel very similar to each other, but as early as you reach Tier 2 (which is a matter of 1-2 hours of even less) you can already feel huge differences between the individual vehicles. The highest tier is 10, and takes lots of time to get to.

The game features 5 tank "classes".
    -Self Propelled Guns (Artillery, their task is to bombard key enemy vehicles)
    -Light Tanks (their task is to reveal enemies and hunt for Self Propelled Guns)
    -Medium Tanks (varying tasks, good allrounders)
    -Heavey Tanks (heavily armoured, heavily armed vehicle with very low maneuverability)
    -Tank Destroyers (destroying priority targets with their ability to pierce through thick armor)

Each tank has Crew members. These crew members gather experience in battle, which increases their performance. Once their performance reaches a peak, they can start to learn additional skills or perks, such as faster repair of damaged tank modules, increased camouflage, or better tank maneuverability.

The matchmaking is very balanced overall. Vehicles that feature roughly the same tier are put together in a match, and all classes are distributed among both teems in an equally balanced fashion. Some games can be frustrating if you happen to be the tank with the lowest tier in the match, but as often you can be top of the tier. Overall, the matchmaking is good and fun most of the time.

World of Tanks is free to play. By playing normal games, you earn "Credits". These Credits are used to buy new tanks or tank upgrades that have been researched. It is also used to repair damaged tanks, refill ammunition, and to buy certain "Modules" that allow you to further customize your tanks (such as camouflage-nets to hide more easily, or tank gun rammers that decrease your reload time). You can invest real money in order to purchase "Gold". Gold unlocks premium memberships (these increase your income and experience), certain Premium Tanks (which are not stronger than other tanks, but have the advantage to earn more credits) and garage slots for more tanks. Everything else can also be bought with Credits.

Even though this should result in a low buying-pressure, the opposit thing is the case. The more you play, the higher the buying pressure becomes. Unlocking more tank slots is essential if you want some variety in your played tanks. On higher tiers (tier 7 and up), the repair cost get horrendous, and it becomes really hard to earn credits without Premium Membership or Premium Tanks, while the prices of the tanks get higher and higher. This gets frustrating after some time. The prices for Premium Memberships, however, are fair and not over-the-top. Even Premium-Tanks with a high price-tag pay out due to their vast credit-earning ability.

Here have some more Pros and Cons to playing World of Tanks.

+ Controls in this game are good and responsive, providing a satisfying skill-to-power ratio
    + Huge variety of distinctive tanks
    + Varying events on a regular base (at least once a week) keep the daily playing experience fresh
    + Games last only 3-15 minutes
    + Certain "Missions" are available at all time which are completed during normal gameplay, feels very rewarding

- Buying Pressure ruins fun after some time
    - Some tanks are balanced in a very disappointing way (way too strong way too weak)
    - Playing with more than 2 other friends at a time gets complicated due to restrictions, except you play with 15 people (one team's size), then it is easy again.
    - Graphics are a little outdated.

I recommend giving this game a shot. It is pretty fun, and it takes quite a while before the buying-pressure in this otherwise free-to-play-game kicks in.
  94. Oct 23, 2013
    Funny how this game has so bad reviews. This game is a very indepth tactical tank shooter, and is far above an average game. It has enough diversity, complexity and endgame to give you fun for years. I think its a bit hard to get all the mechanics at first, especially the camoflage and sight mechanics. And you should know which tanklines are good, cause many are just a waste of time.
    If you are intelligent enough, and know what you do, you can have tons of fun in this game.

It has a few flaws. The matchmaking system. And some tanks are a bit unbalanced.
    They get balanced, but normally this takes a few month.
    If you get that unbalanced tank as fast as you can, its an advantage. ;-)

If you test it and want to continue, i suggest you get premium account (subscription fee like a normal mmo. its around 10 bucks and depends how much you buy. i suggest you buy it monthly until the first premium special [15% off normally], and then get half a year. thats how i do it),
    cause you are always short on credits in this game, and 50% more is a must in my eyes, although i know 2 ppl that play without it. Takes a s***load of time to compensate.

Overall i enjoy this game since 2 years. Its a really good game.
  95. Nov 9, 2013
    This game WAS pretty fun for me having so many tanks battle in one map was really fun along with the great graphics but there is one big problem, the same problem that has been repeated game after game. To win you need overpower tanks with abnormal buffs, and to get these you need Balance is gone and I QUIT!

This game had so much potential, sad to see it become like this
  96. Dec 14, 2013
    this is a very terrible game! especially annoying greedy developers and their swinish attitude to the fans of the game game for 4 years does not develop
  97. Dec 20, 2013
    Awful graphics and physics, which demand ultra-high-end computer to run with normal fps.
    absolutely nothing new in the game for a year or more, except new tanks and maps which is a poor game updating
  98. Dec 20, 2013
    It was nice game. But times changed. If you want to play comfortable and not to be a food for other you have to spend a lot of time to gain good crew for favorite tanks. But than in 2 month comes new patch, old tanks are nerfed, new tanks are imbalanced, and you have either donate money and spend time for new better tanks or be beaten by kids who have a lot of time for grind. Also developers are inadequate when speaking with players. For 2 years they told that in game there is normal distribution but than they told that this normal distribution ended in 1.2 sigma, and 20% of shot were going in the edge of sight, instead of 0.01%. It drives me mad. Expand
  99. Dec 20, 2013
    Just another bad game that have nothing similar with actual tank warfare of WW2. Game engine is bugged. Game have very bad optimization, very simple gameplay, just like a generic shooter game. Developers are greedy and selfish people. Don`t play this game, don`t waste your money on it!

1. Dec 18, 2012
    Bucketloads of depth and surprisingly simple to jump into. It's free, too! [Jan 2013, p.84]
  2. Dec 12, 2012
    World of Tanks is the ultimate tank battle game, and with a price tag of 0 whatever your currency is - there really isn't anything major to complain about.
  3. Apr 10, 2012
    It combines aspects of great RPG games and first person shooters, wraps them into a package that will appeal to the historian, and tosses in a dash of addiction to combine into one great final product.