5.4

1. Dec 7, 2010
    Every area has been redone, and if not completely redone, then slightly convenienced. The quest flow is amazing now! Start a Human and go thru Elwynn, Westfall, and Redridge. By the end of the three regions, each with their unique stories (well Elwynn is much the same), you will agree with me. Much better than classic. Everything continues to grow as the years go on
  2. Dec 22, 2010
    Ill split this up into 2 parts. I want to first discuss how the good the game is if you just continue on your level 80 and get to 85. I would say its a pretty good experience. Hell, i think its the best they ever did in an expansion! However, even though making a new character and leveling it up in the new redone area's of the world is fun... it's the same thing through 60-85. So you'reIll split this up into 2 parts. I want to first discuss how the good the game is if you just continue on your level 80 and get to 85. I would say its a pretty good experience. Hell, i think its the best they ever did in an expansion! However, even though making a new character and leveling it up in the new redone area's of the world is fun... it's the same thing through 60-85. So you're really only getting the oldest zones redone. No Northrend, no outland. If you're a WoW fan like me, i would defiantly pick this game up, even though 60-85 is the same process. Expand
  3. Dec 9, 2010
    You've gotta love the morons giving it a low mark because "all they did was reskin Azeroth", acting as though that's a trivial matter and unimportant. World of Warcraft Cataclysm revolutionizes the way we think about expansion packs, and manages bring something any fan of the MMO can enjoy.

World of Warcraft is starting to age. Or, at least it was. The graphics are still beautiful, but the model-count is noticeably low compared to any modern game. The previous expansion managed to upgrade the game, creating new zones, new content, new features, and featuring better gameplay. Burning Crusade introduced the flying mount and improved PvP, whereas Wrath of the Lich King spiced of questing with linear interactive storylines and added the oh so appreciated Looking-For-Dungeon tool. Nevertheless, the core of the game, the 1-60 experience, was left in the dust. The vistas in that region were uninspiring, the quest chains lackluster. Dungeons were long and tedious, and it all felt so, out-dated. People have long been bringing up the subject of a World of Warcraft 2. Obviously, nothing lasts forever, and eventually Blizzard would have to create a sequel. Blizzard managed to solve nearly all of its problems with their most recent release: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm.

Unlike the previous expansions, which were additions and upgrades, Cataclysm is the first real update. It really is WoW 2, but without the problem of a split-player base. Before I go in depth, it's important to define what Cataclysm is. Technically, the $40 you pay only gets you the Goblin/Worgen, 80-85 content and the ability to fly in the Old World. That's only because the majority of work the developers put in is already there for everyone. Adding the Shattering of Azeroth makes this the most hefty expansion in WoW's history, arguably one of the greatest undertaking of any expansion in gaming history. Nearly every single World of Warcraft zone from 1-60 has been completely rehauled. Cutscenes and recurring characters make quest chains enjoyable. Vehicle segments and creative mechanics are mixed in to prevent tedious questing. Graphics have been upgraded, especially view distance and water effects, making for breathtaking vistas. This is the first time since 2004 that I've really felt excited to level. Blizzard took everything they learned from BC/WotLK and used it to optimize the Old World. This content alone deserves great recognition.
    The Goblin/Worgen are two extremely different and extremely interesting races, much more so than the Blood Elves, and especially more so than the Draenei. Goblin as wacky and funny, whereas Worgen present a completely serious storyline. Playing both offers great unique experiences.
    The 80-85 zones may not contain as much content as the previous xpacs, but each one can completely hold its own. Hyjal is a lore-lover's paradise, and Vashj'ir is absolutely incredible. Deepholm is a true warzone, and Uldum, my personal favorite, contains everything that is awesome about Ancient Egypt. I have yet to reach the Twilight Highlands, but I have a hard time seeing them being a disappointment. The quests are not all perfect, and there are quite a few generic ones, but ultimately these are some of the most entertaining zones in the game. While WotLK was undoubtedly a financial success, ultimately many "hardcore" players felt disappointed. Far too much of its content was either too easy or too simple. Vanilla raiding wasn't perfect, but doing a dungeon in Wrath was just boring. The tank would run through one group at a time, AoE-tank them, and move up. In that regard Cataclysm really is seeking out those older players. The dungeons have just as much flair if not more so than the other xpacs, but they possess the feel of a Vanilla/BC dungeon. Pulling different groups of adds requires thinking beforehand, and the group must watch out for patrols. Once again crowd control becomes a near necessity, something I almost forgot about in WotLK. Best of all, I have yet to encounter a tank 'n' spank boss. Each boss has its own unique abilities, many of them being very intuitive. If this is how the 5-mans shape up, I simply cannot wait to start raiding content.
    Other features in Cataclysm are the guild progression system, which I could go into much detail about, and the new professions. I'm running out of room, but both add new layers of complexity to the game and are very welcome.
    Overall, Cataclysm is a huge thing. It is easily the biggest expansion considering the Shattering, and manages to take what was learned from the previous xpacs and add some of the old lost flair from vanilla. There is literally something for everyone. Blizzard clearly shows that they know their market, and the Cataclysm is easily a solid A+, 10/10. Your $40 may only get you the last bit of the Cataclysm, but you can hardly complain about getting so much for free.
  4. Dec 14, 2010
    Overall much better than vanilla wow and the previous expansions, for the most part, but they made the game way too easy. My suggestion would to make the game more story driven so player's can feel more involved, and to make the game more challenging, to not just breeze through levels just to get to the end game. They changed many things for the better, and some things for the worse.Overall much better than vanilla wow and the previous expansions, for the most part, but they made the game way too easy. My suggestion would to make the game more story driven so player's can feel more involved, and to make the game more challenging, to not just breeze through levels just to get to the end game. They changed many things for the better, and some things for the worse. Overall though, I would still give this expansion a 10, and very much worth getting if WOW is you're thing. Expand
  5. Jan 20, 2011
    I probably put in 3 to 5 hours of gameplay a day, and I find this to be an excellent expansion. Some folks are saying to just enjoy the changes to vanilla WoW without buying Cata. Well, that's fine if you want to miss out on all of the great endgame content. Some are saying that it's too easy, because a bunch of people hit 85 within the first 24 hours of the release of the game. ThoseI probably put in 3 to 5 hours of gameplay a day, and I find this to be an excellent expansion. Some folks are saying to just enjoy the changes to vanilla WoW without buying Cata. Well, that's fine if you want to miss out on all of the great endgame content. Some are saying that it's too easy, because a bunch of people hit 85 within the first 24 hours of the release of the game. Those would be the power levelers; it took me about two weeks to get my first character from 80 to 85, because the enjoyment of the game is about more than leveling. Those who said it was too easy -- they obviously hadn't played heroic dungeons or done Cata raiding when they said that. Heroic bosses now play like actual raid bosses; you've got to know the fight tactics, you can't just run and gun them like you could with WotLK heroic bosses. There's been a lot of whining in the WoW forums about how tough the new Heroics are! Gear strategy is well thought out; it's important to get exalted with all of the Cata factions in order to get your first few pieces of Epic gear, so there's a lot more incentive to do all of the expansion quests than there was in WotLK. Plus, we already know that Bliz is going to continue to add content to this expansion, as the final boss battle isn't even active yet. It's easy to give this expansion a 10 out of 10. Expand
  6. Jan 5, 2011
    The best expansion for what can only honestly be described as the best MMO game of the last 10 years, huge player base for all the family, worth a try and retry if you've played before, i'm off to play again now.
  7. Dec 11, 2010
    huge amount of content added, significantly improved graphics plus questing is now more fun, quests are more imaginative. Worgens are the epitome of cool. Blizz have some exceeded my expectations again. For the Alliance!
  8. Feb 14, 2011
    World of Warcraft is more than just a game, it is a malicious waste of time, where one has to work so much to keep up with the rest of the players that it becomes something like a virtual job, frustrating and tedious, it is more repetitive than the spinning of a wheel, and has no substance whatsoever. If only players realised how much time they spend waiting to fly from one spot toWorld of Warcraft is more than just a game, it is a malicious waste of time, where one has to work so much to keep up with the rest of the players that it becomes something like a virtual job, frustrating and tedious, it is more repetitive than the spinning of a wheel, and has no substance whatsoever. If only players realised how much time they spend waiting to fly from one spot to another, waiting for a boat or a zeppelin, riding for miles to get to the desired spot, waiting for the raid to build up, do long, plenty and very tedious dailies to earn virtual money they would see that most of the game time is spent doing effectively NOTHING.

And then there's the anger, stress, disappointment which are all inevitable in both raids and arena, and so little satisfaction to gain which is not in the game-play itself but in the number of emblems or badges one strives to collect, or the loot, the arena points and team rating respectively.
    Cataclysm is yet another useless add-on, which urges players to level up some more, get in new boring instances and basically just start the whole repetitive labour all over again, all to one end only - to obtain better gear as quickly as possible, before other players do, and be among the first in their guild to be congratulated with "GZ" when earning a worthless achievement.
    World of Warcraft appears under "similar games" regardless of one looking into an RPG game, action, strategy, or any other. It's advertised EVERYWHERE and in a most annoying manner. But what can we do against the almighty power of money - the sum Gamespot collects from Blizzard.
  9. Dec 9, 2010
    This expansion is exactly what Blizz needed to do. I could not even bring myself to level a new character in WoW because of the boring old world content and/or quests that are so out of the way that they aren't worth the time because there are a bunch of juicy quests all together. Cataclysm, unfortunately, still has quests that are out of the way but at the speed I was leveling, it didn'tThis expansion is exactly what Blizz needed to do. I could not even bring myself to level a new character in WoW because of the boring old world content and/or quests that are so out of the way that they aren't worth the time because there are a bunch of juicy quests all together. Cataclysm, unfortunately, still has quests that are out of the way but at the speed I was leveling, it didn't become a reasonable drive to go up to that part of the map and do the quest. From Gilneas to Ashenvale the questlines are full of immersion and with Blizzard's new and improved phasing, its like what you're doing as the character is affecting the world. An MMO that I play that finally gives the illusion of time flowing through the game. To this extent, I give Blizz two thumbs up.

I haven't played through all the new zones but I must say that the time Blizzard put into this particular expansion is beautiful. Although stay away from Uldum unless you really have a good graphics card or you have turned down the graphics because Uldum will thrash and slash your framerate.
  10. Dec 10, 2010
    The reviewers that write that this is just the old Azeroth re-skinned. Think again. People should actually play the game instead of hating on something. What Blizzard has done is simply amazing. They have reworked almost every zone, including the quests. In every zone there is something amusing, fantastic, or funny to experience, and this is just the stuff they have offered for free. TheThe reviewers that write that this is just the old Azeroth re-skinned. Think again. People should actually play the game instead of hating on something. What Blizzard has done is simply amazing. They have reworked almost every zone, including the quests. In every zone there is something amusing, fantastic, or funny to experience, and this is just the stuff they have offered for free. The new dungeons are amazing to look at and offer exciting encounters that go above and beyond the normal expectations. The level experience is finally in line with the community expectations of the game. The game has always been about the end-game content (supported by the firm foundation of lore) There will always be people who irrationally complain about this game. It just means more room for the rest of us to enjoy a fantastic and wonderful experience. Expand
  11. Dec 11, 2010
    For people rating this game low, I think you need to read the review from GAMEPRO posted on here that is from a hardcore WOW freak who's been playing for 6 years. I find it hard to believe any of you could experience all of the new content in less than a few days. Also note, as big as this game is there's obviously going to be some kinks that need to be worked out and play balanced,For people rating this game low, I think you need to read the review from GAMEPRO posted on here that is from a hardcore WOW freak who's been playing for 6 years. I find it hard to believe any of you could experience all of the new content in less than a few days. Also note, as big as this game is there's obviously going to be some kinks that need to be worked out and play balanced, which I'm sure will happen in the coming months as players give their input (both new and old players). They fix/polish each expansion for 2 years or so. How can someone complain after their review fully admits there is a LOT of content (Keridor - "t's a simple matter of fact: Cataclysm has reworked ALL of old Azeroth, adding new quests, new dungeons, reworking old dungeons, and creating such "cinematic" experiences, that one would be a fool not to buy this game!"), then comes back to say it's defeatable in 1/2 month. How could you possibly know in 3 days? LOL. Everything's been redone, new quests, dungeons etc but you say there's less content. Which is it? Myself I don't think I'd be able to write an true review for months (discounting the fact that the game will undoubtedly change quite a bit in the next year+). The gamepro guy wrote two reviews (one for newbs, the other for hardcore players). Right now I'd say the game is a 8.5 or so but I'm rating it a 10 to make up for silly reviews that freely admit there's a lot of new content etc then rate the game as if it's a complete mess. I'm wondering if they work for a competing product or something (neosyth) :) Let's face it, Blizzard has certainly been killing off the competition for 6 years or so. I haven't played every MMO but I can't name another one that I'm afraid might suck the life out of me if I'm not careful. This game (as all Blizzard games I've played) makes me lose sleep. A lot of sleep. :)
    The whiners should read the above review and maybe re-evaluate after a few weeks. There's no way this game rates less than 6 even if you don't like some of the new changes etc. That's just ridiculous. If $40 upset you that much, perhaps you shouldn't be buying games. You can start over as new characters and go through the game as a whole new experience. Isn't playing the new characters part of new expansions experience? If you're totally blowing off half the new content you really did waste your money I guess and perhaps, missed 1/2 the point of the new release. Good luck finding a better MMO.
  12. Dec 11, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great expansion for a great game !
    To be honest I was done with Wow: end-game experience required too much effort and most of all time to get the necessary items, PvP was fun but not the main reason to play this game, starting an alt was time-consuming, frustrating and all about doing the same quests and regions all over again...
    With this expansion Blizzard sets the new standard: amazing new content in the old regions, amazing quest flow (reached level 20 on one evening of playy with new Worgen), slightly improved graphics, more interesting class changes.
    I will get addicted again, but I won't forgive myself ever if I didn't play this game no more.
    To all the low-life people giving ridicilous low scores: get a life !
  13. Dec 11, 2010
    The developers have gone to great lengths to address the fundamental flaws present throughout the entirety of the genre. Many small cinematic flairs have been added to the game play and the experience as a whole has been greatly streamlined to result in a much more user-friendly experience. That being said, the hallmarks of World of Warcraft are here and present as strongly as ever. TheThe developers have gone to great lengths to address the fundamental flaws present throughout the entirety of the genre. Many small cinematic flairs have been added to the game play and the experience as a whole has been greatly streamlined to result in a much more user-friendly experience. That being said, the hallmarks of World of Warcraft are here and present as strongly as ever. The art direction, music, and strategic depth of Cataclysm evidences the developer's continued success in design philosophy. The result is a fascinating social arena that is at once physically beautiful, engrossing from a game play standpoint, and remains accessible to new players while still challenging those who wish to involve themselves more thoroughly. Expand
  14. Dec 21, 2010
    Long story short, haters gonna hate. But in actuality, what blizzard has done with this expansion is update the oldest portion of content, both in game play and in graphics, to the new standard in MMO. The new quest flow, which many pen as "0MG 2 3asy!" moves quickly because it is well designed and efficient. There is a grand amount of content to explore, with more than 3000 new quests inLong story short, haters gonna hate. But in actuality, what blizzard has done with this expansion is update the oldest portion of content, both in game play and in graphics, to the new standard in MMO. The new quest flow, which many pen as "0MG 2 3asy!" moves quickly because it is well designed and efficient. There is a grand amount of content to explore, with more than 3000 new quests in the old world alone and 6 new zones in the 80-85 level bracket. The battleground system has been redesigned, new dungeons with an exploration and gear dependent lockout system, and 2 imaginative and fun new races to choose from are just a few of the fantastic new features. The lore of the game has changed massively, and players will love the way Thrall ties into the shamanic order of the earthen ring. And while leveling moves fast, content itself does not. There are vast questlines spanning over many zones, and old questions that were once unanswered, such as "What truly IS in Uldum? Remember? That place we heard about in 2005 when we ran Ulduman?" are finally answered, much to the delight of veteran warcraft players. New players are not forsaken, however, as the initial game experience has been streamlined, granting players key abilities earlier and leaving the training wheels on longer. The game is more accessible to new players in the starting areas, with more clearly defined quest objectives and abilities. All in all, the game experience has been improved from the bottom up. Great measures have been taken to make sure the experience is just as fun at level 10 as it is at level 85. Now, to all the negative reviewers out there, you have points. If this was a competitive First person shooter or a real time strategy game with for-money tournament leagues, then yes, this game is 0mG ez ez ez. But for the gamer who is looking for a meaningful gaming experience, complete with class diversity, many different quest lines and game lores to explore, as well as vastly different races and classes to experiment with, this is truly the perfect game. Expand
  15. Dec 24, 2010
    For the most part people have been complaining that the game is too easy. Lackluster compared to the bygone days when our half a year grind to level forty to obtain our first mount was rewarded with borrowing the one hundred gold from a guild member and having that held over your head until level sixty when you once again had to borrow money from someone. Sure it is easier to get gearFor the most part people have been complaining that the game is too easy. Lackluster compared to the bygone days when our half a year grind to level forty to obtain our first mount was rewarded with borrowing the one hundred gold from a guild member and having that held over your head until level sixty when you once again had to borrow money from someone. Sure it is easier to get gear now. Sure leveling is easier. They have made it more like a game and less like a job. I have been playing World of Warcraft since a month after the original release and I do not miss the difficulty. The new zones of Cataclysm have a smooth quest flow and if you are a fan or lore, you will enjoy it greatly. Sure within the first five hours there was a first level 85 already, but I guarantee you that person was not playing for the love of the game. Just for the love of achievements. If you play games for a great storyline, amazing gameplay, and a player base that is decent if you stay out of trade or are ready and willing to place people on your ignore list, I would highly recommended this game. Just remember, the game is what you make of it. If you take an entire day sure you can go from 80-85 but take things slow, see the sights, play with archaeology, go kill some Horde (since we Alliance dont go down nearly as easy!), level a profession... There is plenty of things to do and plenty of time to do it. Just don't ignore this great game because people whine that you young whippersnappers have it too easy, they just missed naptime so they get a little cranky. Expand
  16. Dec 27, 2010
    I would like to start off by saying that I am a hardcore WoW player, but am by no means going to be biased with this review. First off, the expansion "redoes" all the old zones - Seems ok, and it indeed does put a lot of new quests and exploration in the game. As the expantion hit, i leveled my 80 priest to 85, and did some end-game content. There was a variety of it, and I indeed wasI would like to start off by saying that I am a hardcore WoW player, but am by no means going to be biased with this review. First off, the expansion "redoes" all the old zones - Seems ok, and it indeed does put a lot of new quests and exploration in the game. As the expantion hit, i leveled my 80 priest to 85, and did some end-game content. There was a variety of it, and I indeed was happy with the new implements for boss tactics and such. The new PvP was indulging and the new battlegrounds, arenas, and the new rated battleground system all deserve a positive rating.

The bad side? I made a new character (no, not a deathknight), and went through all the old content, 1-80. It started feeling even more rushed than in Wrath, and there were quite a few game (or quest) breaking bugs that didn't allow me to progress further. Since I am a completionist, it felt awkward to be leveling just in 1/4 zones meant for your level, and skipping the other three (heirlooms, guild perk, and too many quests).

One more point: The game engine is way out of date for an MMO. Since this is supposed to be the top-notch MMORPG, I would advise blizzard to completely (not just water-effect) overhaul the graphical engine the next expantion. 7 out of 10.
  17. Jan 27, 2011
    Having been both a pretty serious PvE and PvPer in WOTLK, i feel Blizzard imroved on every quality of the game. I have only really gotten into the pvp in Cataclysm, but from what i can tell, its simply fantastic. All the classes seem much more rounded, healers arent unkillable anymore and fights take longer and feel much more satisfying. As for the new world pvp Tol Barad, i dont reallyHaving been both a pretty serious PvE and PvPer in WOTLK, i feel Blizzard imroved on every quality of the game. I have only really gotten into the pvp in Cataclysm, but from what i can tell, its simply fantastic. All the classes seem much more rounded, healers arent unkillable anymore and fights take longer and feel much more satisfying. As for the new world pvp Tol Barad, i dont really like it that much but is not a huge deal. Blizzard has also made PvP more accesable because they ahve added rated battlegrounds as a way to get better gear, so you don't have to play in arenas if you dont like them that much. As for the PvE content, the leveling in Cataclysm wasn't a great challenge, but the new zones are simply stunning and the quests were alot of fun for the most part. The new PvE endgame content seems alot better as well, as more thought was put into the boss fights and the dungeons are much more intriguing. As for the old content, it has all been remodeled and i found that it has been made much more enjoyable and accessable for both new and old players. Another thing that i was pleased with was the new gear. Both PvP and PvE gear is much more cool looking and really gives a sense of accomplishment when you finally complete the set you have been working so hard to get. Overall, i found that Cataclysm was and still will be a great expansion, and im excited to see what kind of patches and new content gets released. Great job, Blizzard :) Expand
  18. Jan 30, 2011
    I played wow since feb '05. I wasn't surprised to find the end game content to be a few dungeons and a raid dungeon. What I was surprised to find was how difficult it was to get anywhere in heroic dungeons or the main raid dungeon. Blizzard's raiding focus has shifted from tank and healers doing all the work to DPS working out when to CC and/or interrupt. This can lead to a lot ofI played wow since feb '05. I wasn't surprised to find the end game content to be a few dungeons and a raid dungeon. What I was surprised to find was how difficult it was to get anywhere in heroic dungeons or the main raid dungeon. Blizzard's raiding focus has shifted from tank and healers doing all the work to DPS working out when to CC and/or interrupt. This can lead to a lot of frustration especially considering that a lot of people were used to WotLK mode of playing when all people had to do was round mob groups up and aoe them down. It's obvious to me that blizzard's extended focus on the old zones was to encourage players who were fed up with the difficulty of running dungeons to roll a new toon. Questing is cooler though with more added cinematics, making the questlines more than just a series of "to do" lists. I was surprised at how quickly I got from 80 to 85 on my pally. It only took 3 days. With that said, there isn't much to do when you get to the top, other than to do another dungeon so you can get a little more geared up. Tradeskilling is easier. PVP is still the boring objectives, just on different maps. Playing Tol Barad for the 20th time can be a little old and considering that you need to play every TB you can get into just so you can get some much needed gears it can feel redundant. All in all, it feels like Blizzard's quality in making games hasn't disappeared at all. Expand
  19. Mar 15, 2011
    It's fun, but they removed the whle purpose or reason to visit old areas because you lvl so quickly. on the other hand lvling faster also means you can truly begin to play the actual game. Everyone knows that wow really only starts at max lvl, everything b4 that is bassicaly a way to make money and a way to get to know your character (a bit of practice).
  20. May 22, 2011
    The game has been redecorated and redesigned to change the much needed to be changed old world areas. I will include the patch contents within the expansion because this is about the change in WoW, not necessarily the value of the product. The old world zones used to be difficult, not the fun type which requires simple skill, but they were difficult to get through because they were tediousThe game has been redecorated and redesigned to change the much needed to be changed old world areas. I will include the patch contents within the expansion because this is about the change in WoW, not necessarily the value of the product. The old world zones used to be difficult, not the fun type which requires simple skill, but they were difficult to get through because they were tedious and frankly boring. However with cataclysm these things change, and mostly for the better. Old zones are redesigned so the effects of the catacylsm (mainly lava zones) are shown throughout, however the biggest addition are the quests. There are cinematics, phasing, and most important simply more quests. The 1-60 content is often better than any outlands or northrend content, making it seem much more feasible to start the new character you always wanted. However, during the leveling process, they have made it so quickly that its very possible to skip through things way to fast, for instance, i finished Stonetalon mountains within perhaps 1-2 hours, and i had gone up a whole 5 levels. Its like this of course until the early 50s, where blizzard tends to slow things heavily, but it is still a welcome addition. Now for the 80-85 content, which is actually some of the best blizzard has ever produced. The quests are epic in scale and involving many important lore characters, and even though their mostly against the odd Twilight Hammer. This also brings up another issue, the lore is quite unfitting besides the story of Deathwing (who is a fantastic villain) and the twilight hammer. The twilight hammer simply dont fit because they were always a very small part of the previous versions of the game, and only now do they go onto par with the demons and undead. It also marks the departure from the warcraft 3 lore, meaning blizzard will have to crank the creativity wheel soon enough to add to the lore anymore. The two new races Goblin and Worgen, are also a slight disappointment, but not because its blizzards fault. There simply werent enough players wanting new classes, and it resulted in very little amount of the new races. However their starting zones (especially the worgen) are great, and show the races homeland get destroyed as they take sides with their new factions. Now for the last part, and arguably the most important part, the endgame. The endgame is much better than Wotlk's easiness. The heroics, especially at the beginning of the release, were extremely hard and required teamwork and crowd control not seen since the BC days. It marked a return to the old days of classical wow, and was a huge welcome addition to many hardcore players. The design of the dungeons are great as well, with bosses being very flashy and numerous, and the diversity being good between them. Not much can be say about the raids however, mainly because they simply are not very good. There are three raids in total, and they are all much harder than WotLK beginning raids, however they are not memorable much at all. Over all i rate the game an 8, because the redesign of the old world is ultimately amazing, but with not much different to bring to the picture, wow's age marks are beginning to show. Expand
  21. Jan 21, 2012
    although some people may not like the new expansion, i personally love it. It adds a new aspect to the world of warcraft experience, and one cannot deny that it is one of the best games out there. Can't stop playing!
  22. Jan 30, 2012
    Word Of Warcraft is my favourite MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) on the computer there are two groups you can the alliance and the horde both groups have a mix of races in the alliance they have Human, Dwarf, Gnome, Night Elves, Draenei, Worgen and the horde races are Orc, Troll, Tauren, Undead, Blood Elves, Goblin and they are bringing a new race in the new expansionWord Of Warcraft is my favourite MMORPG (Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game) on the computer there are two groups you can the alliance and the horde both groups have a mix of races in the alliance they have Human, Dwarf, Gnome, Night Elves, Draenei, Worgen and the horde races are Orc, Troll, Tauren, Undead, Blood Elves, Goblin and they are bringing a new race in the new expansion called the Pandaren the Pandaren is going to be alliance and horde the new expansion is going to be called world of warcraft mists of pandaria and they are also bringing a new class called monk There are 10 other playable classes that are out which are Warrior, Druid, Mage, Warlock, Priest, Hunter, Rogue, Paladin, Shaman and Death knight The death knight class is in the World of Warcraft Wrath of the Lich King and you can only make a death knight if you have at least one level 55 and you can only make one death knight per realm The other expansions are called world of warcraft burning crusade and world of warcraft cataclysm Each race has their own mounts the mounts for the alliance are called Stallion, Swift Brown Steed, Brown Ram, Swift Brown Ram, Spotted Frostsaber, Swift Frostsaber, Blue Mechanostrider, Swift Green Mechanostrider, Brown Elekk, Great Blue Elekk, Golden Gryphon and the horde mounts are Goblin Trike, Goblin Turbo-Trike, Black Wolf, Swift Brown Wolf, Black Skeletal Horse, Green Skeletal Warhorse, Brown Kodo, Great Brown Kodo but think the best mount is the druid Flight Form. Expand
  23. Dec 25, 2011
    I have been playing this game for nearly 6 years now and still am not bored with it. There seems to be an infinite amount of gameplay including raiding (PvE), arenas(PvP), battlegrounds(PvP), professions, holiday events, achievements, guild leveling, and even mount and pet collecting. No other MMORPG, including SWTOR comes anywhere close to WoW. If you want fun, challenging, or endlessI have been playing this game for nearly 6 years now and still am not bored with it. There seems to be an infinite amount of gameplay including raiding (PvE), arenas(PvP), battlegrounds(PvP), professions, holiday events, achievements, guild leveling, and even mount and pet collecting. No other MMORPG, including SWTOR comes anywhere close to WoW. If you want fun, challenging, or endless gameplay, this is the game for you! Expand
  24. Jan 6, 2012
    I certainly recommend World of Warcraft for all gamers; especially for MMO players. Its pretty much impossible to NOT have an objective which I have found in almost all games. This one however has successfully managed to keep me entertained non-stop in the 3 years I've played. Its sure to be a game that is worth its price. :)
  25. Jun 1, 2012
    The World of Warcraft has changed for the better it is more streamlined and far more easy to to follow, the game now explicitly tells you the best spots to be at your level. many see this as hand holding and an absolutely massive blow the the game's quality i find that rather absurd making a game less confusing is not making it worse and in some ways not even making it less difficult butThe World of Warcraft has changed for the better it is more streamlined and far more easy to to follow, the game now explicitly tells you the best spots to be at your level. many see this as hand holding and an absolutely massive blow the the game's quality i find that rather absurd making a game less confusing is not making it worse and in some ways not even making it less difficult but rather simply less tedious. Another aspect of the game that i find highly improved is they way gilds have been reworked. Lets face it this is an MMO you are supposed to play it with others complaining that you can not solo parts is like complain about the lack of race race cars in a fighting game. This gives a guild actual benefits and rewards you for advancing your guild making the for a more cohesive game. My only complaint is that Outlands and Notherrend are absolutely untouched even a slight touch up to the 2 would have been a nice change of pace. Expand
  26. May 4, 2012
    has improved in every way its now much easyer for the casual player to go in raids dungeons and even when questing you have your own built in quest helper in the game the landscapes are retextured so they look better the questing is more engaging and the raids are awsome the game has improved in every way ,
  27. May 15, 2012
    WoW will forever be known as 'THAT MMO'. The first MMO to make MMORPGs a mainstream game. It was and forever will be the biggest game of it's generation and forever to come.
  28. Jul 14, 2013
    I played this game for a long time and i all ways loved it! I all ways thought that this game easily deserved a 100/100. Sadly the new expansion "Mists of Pandaria" did not turn out as well as i thought but all the other ones were good and i can't wait to see what new expansion comes out next! :D
  29. Dec 17, 2010
    One thing I have learned about 50% of WoW gamers is they are never happy. I look back and see The Burning Crusade reviews and alot of the reviews are negative, so when Blizzard changes their approach to the next expansion you're still not happy. So what do you all tell Blizzard: "The Burning Crusade was way better go back to that", and so they did and you still f****** complain. All I canOne thing I have learned about 50% of WoW gamers is they are never happy. I look back and see The Burning Crusade reviews and alot of the reviews are negative, so when Blizzard changes their approach to the next expansion you're still not happy. So what do you all tell Blizzard: "The Burning Crusade was way better go back to that", and so they did and you still f****** complain. All I can say to you is, if you hate it so much why are you still playing!!!? World of Warcraft is a great game, so either stop complaining or f*** off and play something else. Expand
  30. Dec 20, 2010
    Every area in this game has redone, and it started with a new battle or something. The new characters the worgens and the gobilins started up with a huge story, and its so fun to play for the starting. However, there is one thing obiously changed are the quests, I think the quests are a bit too easy, because of that, the gameplay seems short from 80-85Lv. I can't tell if the game is fun toEvery area in this game has redone, and it started with a new battle or something. The new characters the worgens and the gobilins started up with a huge story, and its so fun to play for the starting. However, there is one thing obiously changed are the quests, I think the quests are a bit too easy, because of that, the gameplay seems short from 80-85Lv. I can't tell if the game is fun to play because every guy plays WoW would have different opinions about the game, like the TaiWan guys worshiped the game as their life.... But anyway, I recommend Blizzard to (incharge) the quests. Expand
  31. Dec 9, 2010
    Despite some regrettably annoying bugs, this expansion reigns in a far more cinematic experience than previous MMORPGS have ever before tried. The phasing technology is amazing and allows for a great questing experience. Something of a change of pace, early leveling zones include extremely long chain quests with no alternative. Either you do you the chain quest, or you don't do the zone.Despite some regrettably annoying bugs, this expansion reigns in a far more cinematic experience than previous MMORPGS have ever before tried. The phasing technology is amazing and allows for a great questing experience. Something of a change of pace, early leveling zones include extremely long chain quests with no alternative. Either you do you the chain quest, or you don't do the zone. This can be frustrating, but it pays off in the end with new, wonderful cinematics and unique and engaging questing experiences. Expand
  32. Dec 13, 2010
    The World of Warcraft has always been on the easy side, this is usually the case with hack and slash games, the new expansion however does have difficult heroic dungeons that are very finely tuned, which may raise hardcore players hopes that the raids will be even more challanging. The quest process from 80-85 is rather short but there should be an ample amount of end game content toThe World of Warcraft has always been on the easy side, this is usually the case with hack and slash games, the new expansion however does have difficult heroic dungeons that are very finely tuned, which may raise hardcore players hopes that the raids will be even more challanging. The quest process from 80-85 is rather short but there should be an ample amount of end game content to keep players glued to their monitors. Guild perks are quite nice, especially the ones that grant more experience and faster mounts, this makes leveling from 1-85 even more of a breeze (the process keeps getting quicker), the newly redesigned old world zones were in need of a make over and the flow and pace are better than they were. The water graphics update was, in my opinion a necessity, and even though wow is dated, thanks to a skilled art team the scenes are still quite stunning. With all the direct x 11 experimentation going on with blizz I would expect full reflections soon. They have also implemented clouds that seem to have volume to them, a nice touch but not used often enough. Class balance seems to continue to improve and pvp is getting better, the larger health pools allow for more strategy and there's not so much of the cheap 3 second fighting going on now. So far archeology isn't much different than say herbalisim or mining but could allow for some pretty cool loot. Expand
  33. Dec 14, 2010
    To start with the conclusion; Cataclysm is one fine piece of online gaming. That being said, don't buy the game blind. Find out if it is your cup of tea. Hopefully this review can give you a hint towards this!

A lot of the user reviews, especially the negative ones, have a very emotional vibe going on. Some people seem to really dislike that Blizzard has made a game that's not what they want to play. It's not hardcore enough for these people. And they are right; if you want to play a hardcore MMORPG, the new Azeroth is not for you. The WoW now made by Blizzard is for the serious yet casual player. Leveling doesn't take as long as it used too but it's not nothing either to invest about 30 hours before you hit the TBC content. And in the 85 levels you will be leveling you will be learning your class without the need of reading spreadsheets of data you find via Google (and of these 85 levels the best content by far are the new 80+ zones, each and every one is beautiful, fun and immersive!).

Then there is the lore question. Some people seem to think lore shouldn't progress or change in the dramatic fashion Cataclysm does, they like their lore dogmatic and "ancient". Well, this will always be a matter of taste. I myself enjoy Blizzard's choice to let the Tauren become Paladin's, using a different god for their powers, such as a Night Elf uses Elune's power and no other race does. After all, the Tauren are noble savages, and a Paladin Order can perfectly fit in that. Still it was a daring move, and I'd say it worked out perfectly. And Troll Druids are if nothing else completely logical, and I'd say that anyone who ever played Zul' Gurub when it was still there would agree with me. The return to Azeroth and the classic struggle of the Elementals in Azeroth is nothing but a pure delight! This is very promising for the high-end content.

The graphics are improved, but not that much. However, you do feel like the graphical tools at Blizzard's disposal has been way better utilized. What they have done with their redesigning is less open barren spaces and more vivid diverse textures, cluttered with small plants or little details on stone houses, or just simply grass on green field. Though technically the graphics have been updated just a little, the use of the graphics has been greatly improved, sucking you more into Azeroth than ever before.

And then there are the last of the major additions in Cataclysm. The adding of Rated Battleground and Guild Achievements. So far Guild Achievements have unlocked a few nifty perks (such as 10% extra mount speed, but not in Arena's and Battlegrounds). It pays to be in a guild and there is nice sense of shared achievement, my guess is it will have positive cohesive effect even on minor alt and leveling guilds. Rated Battlegrounds finally really motivate people to do their best in Battlegrounds. It will also get you at your skill level in Battlegrounds, feeling you got a fighting chance if you never were that good at PvP! And if you see someone slacking you now know that if you do your best you will reach the non-slacking layer of fellow PvP-ers.

All and all I myself love Cataclysm so far, and it looks like it won't disappoint anytime soon. But like I said before, this game if for the serious yet casual player. If you want to play an MMORPG hardcore, this is not it for you.
  34. Dec 15, 2010
    Before I even start let's get something out of the way. Yes, i'm a WoW fanboy. But I like how some people, such as Keridor, imply that if I love WoW then I'm blind because it's bad.If I like this game, or any game for that matter, it's because that game was good enough to merit my appreciation. I think people throwing around the 1 scores are no different than people throwing around theBefore I even start let's get something out of the way. Yes, i'm a WoW fanboy. But I like how some people, such as Keridor, imply that if I love WoW then I'm blind because it's bad.If I like this game, or any game for that matter, it's because that game was good enough to merit my appreciation. I think people throwing around the 1 scores are no different than people throwing around the 10s. It's just different extremes. I give this expansion a nine because I believe it deserves it. The one complaint I hear most is about levelling being easy. Yes, it is easier now. If you like hardcore grindfests than WoW wasn't your game to begin with. But WoW has always been about the atmosphere, and as the game evolved this became an even stronger point. Levelling now is about the experience. And yes, there is a lot to do. The new archeology profession is perfect for lore freaks like me who love to explore the world and delve into its secrets. The new zones are fantastic and you'll be fighting epic battles before you reach level 10. That's not a bad thing. The NPCs and factions inhabiting the world have more of a presence. Blizzard have added life into a game that was already brimming with it. Furthermore, like it or not, the max level is 85, not 60. So while getting to 60 is significantly quicker, this is only part of the way.

If you've never played this game and you feel like giving it a go I definitely urge you to, and don't listen to people who are either too excited or too bitter to give an honest opinion. Declarations such as Blizzard only wanting money are childish. This is a company that for years has proved time and again that they care not only about providing a service but about the products they stamp their name on.

Get the game or don't, the fact is this is the best MMO out there today for people who wants to have fun. If you feel like trying out MMOs this is definately the place to start.
  35. Dec 17, 2010
    Most of the people who are giving this game negative reviews are doing so for completely stupid reasons. I mean, do these people really expect Blizzard to create an expansion that completely changes the gameplay style and experience? People want new CONTENT, not an entirely new game style. Then comes the complaining of how fast you can get to the max level. I don't think these peopleMost of the people who are giving this game negative reviews are doing so for completely stupid reasons. I mean, do these people really expect Blizzard to create an expansion that completely changes the gameplay style and experience? People want new CONTENT, not an entirely new game style. Then comes the complaining of how fast you can get to the max level. I don't think these people understand that this game is designed mostly for end-game play. It's utterly obvious, and these people can't seem to grasp that point. People don't want to spend months getting to the max level, and it would be unnecessary if you had to. Sorry, Keridor, the idea of questing for six months doesn't seem very appealing to me. As for the game itself, people are saying a very few amount of content was added, when it's exactly the opposite. Five amazing new zones and re-skinned and added features to almost all of the other zones in the game. The difficulty has been raised for heroics and raids, and the new instances look and feel great. The classes in PvP are still unbalanced, some classes will still feel useless in PvP, and some classes are ridiculous, but other then that, my experience has been FAR greater than WotLK or Burning Crusade. Expand
  36. Dec 18, 2010
    The best expansion to the WoW series, a return to "vanilla WoW" everything has been reworked, instances are actually challenging once again and you get a real feel of it being a world rather than just dalaran and dungeon lines. The new zones and quests are simply amazing and the new dungeons require actualy skill such as CC. People have to realise that rather than concentrating on newThe best expansion to the WoW series, a return to "vanilla WoW" everything has been reworked, instances are actually challenging once again and you get a real feel of it being a world rather than just dalaran and dungeon lines. The new zones and quests are simply amazing and the new dungeons require actualy skill such as CC. People have to realise that rather than concentrating on new broken content that blizzard have gone back and reworked older content fixing everything that any true mmo fan would consider broken. The only negative I could really think of is making taurens into paladins. Thats just plain crazy. Giving the game a 9 Expand
  37. Jan 7, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Keridor Dec 11, 20101 I commend Blizzard on having truly shown me the lengths they'll go to to make money. It's a simple matter of fact: Cataclysm has reworked ALL of old Azeroth, adding new quests, new dungeons, reworking old dungeons, and creating such "cinematic" experiences, that one would be a fool not to buy this game! Unfortunately, all this loses its luster when you realize something: this game has become so putrescently easy, that all this content is meaningless. Your out the Dark Portal and into Burning Crusade in a few short days. The leveling in this game has been turned into a joke. The quests are easy, and rather than feel enjoyable, it feels like you rush through this game to get to the end-game content. I see people giving this game 10's because they level so fast, but what's the point of reworking the first sixty levels if all you're going to do is fly by them? Is that supposed to be impressive? That in a week you can be having fun in Burning Crusade? Hardly. Next is the graphical quality. Now, it's a bit of a taboo subject when it comes to WoW, because the game's so old, it's more "vintage" than it is "horrible" looking. Unfortunately, I fail to see the validity in that arguement. If a game looks bad, it looks bad. Blizzard reworked the water, and it looks fantastic. And that's about it. Everything else in this game is a congealed texture-filled mass of color that falls short from "impressive". The new character models look sometimes laughable (the Goblins especially), and the Worgen "mount" form was so rigid looking, that it feels like a shame they made them run like wolves, and not like, you know, wolf-MEN. As in, anthropomorphous, bipedal wolves. You play a worgen so you can walk on two legs, otherwise you could use Beast Vision and see through your pet's eyes if you wanted to play just a plain old wolf. The other thing that nobody seems to mention is that, the lore has been so destroyed, it's appalling. Tauren use the sunlight? Well then how are they Paladins? Unless the sun and the Holy Light are the same entity? But then, why can't Orcs and Trolls be Paladins? I mean after all, if their Shamanistic ways cause them to revere the elements, including the sun, then they, too, should be imbued with the Holy ways of the Paladin. Right? Well, of course not, because that's too much work for Blizzard. And Night Elf Mages? Oh, you mean the original race of magic-casting elves that branched off into Night Elves and High Elves? Because here's a nifty lore tidbit for you: there can't be Night Elf mages. They lost their ties to the arcane schools of frost and fire. They use nature now. But hey, if it gets Blizzard these resplendant reviews from the bleeting sheep that gave this game a ten simply because it gives them content that hardly lasts half a month, then by all means, rate this game a perfect ten. For those with some foresight, however, I implore you to look beyond this game for one simple reason: You know what happens in World of Warcraft. Say all you will about the new quests, but in the end you're just reading a block of text, hopping into some played-out vehicle quest, or using some flashy spells that make you incredibly powerful to complete the quests. It's the same stuff you've seen, except now it takes even LESS time to reach level 85. So why even redesign the first 60 levels if you outlevel it super fast anyways? Because it makes Blizzard money, and in the end, this isn't "WoW 2" as someone so ignorantly stated, this is "WoW: Less Content, Faster Leveling." I mean, ask yourself. They redesigned the quests and the areas, but is the content still the same? Is there AS MUCH to do? No. But the quests are flashier, so it gives you the ILLUSION that you're doing more. Besides, you level so fast, there's no need to go outside of the basic chain of areas to level, i.e. Elwynn, to Westfall, to Redridge, to Duskwood, etc. But no matter what I say, the fact of the matter remains: love is blind. If you couldn't stop playing Vanilla, or Burning Crusade, or Wrath of the Lich King, then nothing I say will matter. But if you've been on the fence about this game, then I implore you to disregard it. Read these positive reviews, and you'll see they all say the same thing: flashy "new" content makes for a great game! Just wait until the progression drought kicks in, and you wait for the new set of raids, just like Vanilla, Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King. Then you can make all the alts you want. See how long THAT lasts. Just remember: all that glisters is not gold. If there were ever a way to physically show that, all you'd need do is show someone Cataclysm's box. And let's not be ignorant, like Plagiarmaster, and mistake my first sentence for an authentic compliment. It's sarcastic. A joke. Much like this game.â Expand
  38. May 20, 2011
    After two trash expansions here comes finaly something what brings me back to trully World of Warcraft feeling. I was playing World of Warcraft from the begining, but as I said first and second expansion was crap with noob gamplay and EPIX for everyone, now comes something what brings to World of Warcraft something from good old wow, what we knew...
  39. Jan 3, 2012
    This games continues the World of Warcraft story by revamping the content adding new quests and zones. The story is more complex and is very tied-up to all the other expansions (see quests in Felwood).
    Unfortunatelly the questing experience becomes very easy, too easy at some point, only at the Cataclysm dungeons you really get some difficult stuff.
    Overall it is a great expantion.
  40. Apr 19, 2011
    Blizz did some wonderful work redoing the 'old world' and the game is far more enjoyable to level up a new toon now than it has ever been before. For this, it get's a perfect 10. Personally an overly tough first tier of raiding has tarnished it somewhat in the sense that it's not pug friendly on normal mode. The new lockout system is not something I like either. I think patch 4.1 willBlizz did some wonderful work redoing the 'old world' and the game is far more enjoyable to level up a new toon now than it has ever been before. For this, it get's a perfect 10. Personally an overly tough first tier of raiding has tarnished it somewhat in the sense that it's not pug friendly on normal mode. The new lockout system is not something I like either. I think patch 4.1 will improve things here massively though.

For the new races and reworked old content alone though, it's a fantastic expansion.
  41. Jan 13, 2011
    I would call the GOAL of this expansion more of a fix-it-up rather than adding new content (although it DOES add quite a few areas), but regardless, it will only appeal to those who enjoy World of Warcraft, or are on the fence. If you do not fit into these categories, then save your money and don't bother. You know, why even bother reviewing, its just going to be a tug of war betweenI would call the GOAL of this expansion more of a fix-it-up rather than adding new content (although it DOES add quite a few areas), but regardless, it will only appeal to those who enjoy World of Warcraft, or are on the fence. If you do not fit into these categories, then save your money and don't bother. You know, why even bother reviewing, its just going to be a tug of war between haters and fanboys anyways. Expand
  42. Jan 2, 2011
    This expansion does so much to bring life into this game, it's incredible they only charge you $40 for it. There's is a lot of content here for everyone. The casuals, the alt-maniacs, the hardcore and the not so hardcore. As far as end game goes, I feel Blizzard hit a nice balance with dungeon difficulty, not being as easy as Wotlk but not as punishing as the harder TBC heroics. Good tooThis expansion does so much to bring life into this game, it's incredible they only charge you $40 for it. There's is a lot of content here for everyone. The casuals, the alt-maniacs, the hardcore and the not so hardcore. As far as end game goes, I feel Blizzard hit a nice balance with dungeon difficulty, not being as easy as Wotlk but not as punishing as the harder TBC heroics. Good too see so much work is and quality is still coming out of Blizzard. Expand
  43. May 18, 2011
    I enjoyed Cataclysm significantly more than I did the previous two expansions. I feel most of the reworking was rather well-done overall.
    For those that plan on playing a single MMO long-term, feel free to ignore this, as that's not how I play MMOs. For me, if I get a few good, *fun* months out of an MMO, it's a blazing success for me.
    Now, Cataclysm certainly had flaws, but I'd argue most
    Now, Cataclysm certainly had flaws, but I'd argue most of them stem from the core gameplay that WoW offers in the first place, which while decent has become stale in a way that no amount of reworking is going to change.
  44. Dec 22, 2010
    As usual, a lot of outrageous scores of 1 drag down the overall score. Somehow, the simple concept that a review should not only be a reflection of your personal preferences eludes these simple folks. But I digress.

So far, Cata has exceeded my (low) expectations by a large margin. Questing is much more focussed, mostly due to breadcrumb quests laying out a clear path on. Normal 5-man instances have been quite challenging, partially due to the overhaul of class mechanics, and partially because of mob and boss abilities. They've also been great fun, epic fail PUGs notwithstanding.

The goblin starting quests are a blast, and offer an experience way beyond any older low level content.

The new zones wring out every last drop of graphical delight offered by the ageing engine. After stepping back into WoW from other (non-MMO) games, it struck me as incredible simple looking. However, after only a couple of days play, I've come to appreciate the immense amounts of work which has evidently gone into the new content: textures, layout, general feel, etc. Just look at Deepholm, then tell me how bad this game looks. Technically, other MMO's are ahead in the engine department, but none of them offers the quality of artwork available here.

As or claims of the games being too easy: I'll put that down to kids sticking to faceroll DPS classes/builds. Try tanking/healing, then come back and tell us how easy it has become.

Furthermore: the balance of green vs. blue vs. purple gear seems a lot better, more like vanilla WoW - when epic actually meant epic.

I can't speak for endgame content yet, but from what I've seen and read so far I'm not worried as to the quality. Same goes for PvP. So my score is based on leveling and normal 5-man instances, and should be read accordingly.
  45. Jan 7, 2011
    ......FIRST OFF: Metacritic - Please allow paragraphs, Walls of Text is no fun :D ..............................The last time I tried to get back into World of Warcraft was in 2007 when WotLK expansion was released. I had played the game from inception up to The Burning Crusade, and that was where my love for the game died. TBC was just plain boring, and I didn't see much new......FIRST OFF: Metacritic - Please allow paragraphs, Walls of Text is no fun :D ..............................The last time I tried to get back into World of Warcraft was in 2007 when WotLK expansion was released. I had played the game from inception up to The Burning Crusade, and that was where my love for the game died. TBC was just plain boring, and I didn't see much new imagination being used in how the new regions were created. The reduction to 25 man was also a hard hitter having been an officer in a very successful guild (all server 1sts from MC up to half of Serpentshrine). Suddenly having to pick out people to dump who didn't make the grade was not a task we enjoyed. Tied in with various patches that made all the boss encounters really easy after we had spent many MANY hours wiping, working out new tactics and getting dungeons on farm, I got really peeved at Blizzard for devaluing the efforts of those who wanted hardcore PvE.......................................... I then rejoied the game (and my old guild - as a member) and despite making it to level 78, I just really didn't like what I was seeing. My guildies levelled far quicker than I did as I vowed (to my wife) that this game would no longer take up too much of my life..................................... The guild had been raiding for a couple of weeks and had the first to major instances almost on farm, which to me just seemed too fast. Reports were telling me way too many encounters were just "tank 'n' Spank" and really didn't require much thought to beat. This is when I gave up............................................

So, on to Cataclysm. This time around I am on a PvP server in a new guild which a friend of mine helps to run. They were fairly established with another guild but some squabbles seemed to have seen him and a few others splinter off to reform a new guild. The guild has about 15 players who are very regular, and I thought what the heck, I'll give WoW another try.................................. So, I rolled a fresh character, a Goblin mage, which is a class I have never played as before. I really don't want to go into extreme detail, but the efforts Blizzard have made in the revamped level 1-60 zones are something majestical. They have really put a lot of thought into a lot of quests that have been reworked, and quests now have a much better flow as now, many quest lines don't require you to keep running back and forth to the quest giver, and will give you a "clicky" to complete and move onto the next part of the quests.......................................Experience gain is now very fast, and it does somewhat derail a little as you start going way ahead of quest levels, to the point that I managed to reach level 60 (as horde) by just doing half a dozen zones in Kalimdor, and just Stranglethorn Vale in the Eastern kingdoms. Whilst this is ok for those looking to rush everything, for me, a player who likes to take a bit more time, levelling up all my primary and secondary professions at the same time, became a bit annoying................................

The biggest stumbling block as regards to the flow of the game, is that levelling 1-60 was at a good pace, but then you enter Hellfire Penninsula (I was at level 62) and it suddenly feels like hitting a brick wall. Everything slows down to a snails pace. The continuous quest utility used in Azeroth hasn't been brought forward to TBC or WotLK, so running back and forth is required. Luckily, the guild had hit the level required to give us a 5% bonus to experience, so it speeded it up a little. This buffed up to 10% bonus by the time I finished TBC and hit level 70. I only did Hellfire, Zangarmarsh, and Nagrand to reach level 70, so at least I didn't have to suffer too much in what for me was a nightmare expansion. I managed to get to level 80 by only doing a few zones in WotLK which is fine......................................

At the time of writing this, I have reached level 81, and I am only in the first zone. Things appear to be a lot better so far, and it is a pleasure to see that old grounds will be revisited, and old bosses make an appearance here and there. I have watched some video reviews of the new expansion, and some of the new implementations and mechanics really look like I am going to have a good time. But the most important thing for me, is that Blizzard have re-introduced a level of difficulty to boss fights, and from what I've watched and read, means that not that much "tank 'n' spank" has made it into the expansion..............................
    [p]
    Whilst I haven't witnessed a whole lot so far, I still feel I can give a review so far, and I score Cataclysm (so far) as follows......................Graphics: 6/10, Audio: 8/10, Presentation: 10/10, Gameplay: 8/10, OVERALL: 8.......
    If you are a lapsed player like me, it is definately worth at least giving it a go.
  46. Dec 18, 2010
    World of Warcraft has gone so far but this new addon makes it go right over the top with the new races like the werewolf race and the goblen race. The new land the put in makes every thing you know about World of Warcraft changed, but it can make it harder to get around some of the times but not alway. Overall this new addon makes old players and new players come to World of Warcraft. IWorld of Warcraft has gone so far but this new addon makes it go right over the top with the new races like the werewolf race and the goblen race. The new land the put in makes every thing you know about World of Warcraft changed, but it can make it harder to get around some of the times but not alway. Overall this new addon makes old players and new players come to World of Warcraft. I hope you found this helpful. Expand
  47. Jan 7, 2011
    Many areas, not all, have been completely redone to get updated to stay true to Wrath's technology. Blizzard are also able to tell a story through most of the areas so it's not like: "just finish this quest so I can move on" and more like "I want to finish this quest so I can find out what's going to happen next". It's a HUGE step forward for the World of Warcraft!
  48. Mar 13, 2011

49. Mar 26, 2011
    I have played WOW since launch, took a short break around BC, so when I saw that Blizzard was going to be changing up the old zones and redoing the quest I was needless to say excited. The new zones are quite beautiful and blizzard did an amazing job on the phasing that they implemented, which really helps to make you feel like you made a difference. The new dungeons are greatI have played WOW since launch, took a short break around BC, so when I saw that Blizzard was going to be changing up the old zones and redoing the quest I was needless to say excited. The new zones are quite beautiful and blizzard did an amazing job on the phasing that they implemented, which really helps to make you feel like you made a difference. The new dungeons are great especially when you get into a heroic and it actually takes skill to get through it unlike playing through the WoTLK dungeons, which were just burn the enemies down no real strategy. One downside I have found is the leveling, it simply goes by too fast. I finished up all the new content within a month and was onto endgame content again, basically back in the same spot I was the month before when Cataclysm wasn't out yet. All in all it is a great expansion to a great game. Expand
  50. Apr 9, 2011
    I will try to keep this review strictly about the game and not about the people in it or the length of time I personally have been playing as I find that to be nothing more then a epeen issue.

Cataclysm is a effort from blizzard to breath a bit of life into a game slowly crushing from its own weight. Since the beggining of world of warcraft the game has taken blizzard by surprise and in my opinion made them greedy as seeing big dollar signs can do to many developers. A lot of mechanics have been simplified such as talent trees and the inner workings of character progression. The added mastery in many character builds is very stale but in others is very useful. You can reforge your gear which is taking half of your secondary stas and changing that to another secondary stat which isnt on the gear. Reforging is incredibly more useful then mastery however. Since Blizzard didnt know how to deal with people who had 45% or more crit chance they nerfed it by a drastic amount. They could of made it that the bosses had extra health to compensate which would in effect give players the exact same effect but they also wouldnt feel like they have been universally nerfed. The phasing system is very cool but it is also very aggravating to go to a ore to mine it and have it disappear bewcause its in a different phase. I believe they should make all resource nodes either show up on every phase or make only obtainable nodes show up for seperate phases. The new zones are a nice change of pace but all in all I feel the time it takes to get from 80-85 is very disappointing in how short it is to get to max level. Heroic dungeons feel heroic again but from what I have experienced raids seem rather easy comparitively to burning crusade or vanilla. I feel that having the end cataclysm boss being just a rehash of a boss already defeated is a huge slight to the playerbase. The precense of a blizzard store that sells non combat pets is okay except thats not all they sell. You can purchase a mount which is essentially just a reskin of a mount you most likely already have it even uses the same skeleton. The amount of daily quests is mind boggling considering blizzard has expressed numerous concerns about there being to much gold in game. All in all I would say it probably is worth it for old veteran players to come back to try it out at least. While there is faults it still is a enjoyabble experience and at the very least will save you money from buying numerous games that may only last a few hours.
  51. Sep 27, 2012
    I am officially late in writing this review, but I finally finished playing the game. I thoroughly enjoyed this expansion and the progression of the WoW story. The game is aging, though perhaps aging well. High-points were the Firelands raid, and the heroics and raids present at launch. Vashir was beautifully done, and has the least annoying underwater combat in any game I've everI am officially late in writing this review, but I finally finished playing the game. I thoroughly enjoyed this expansion and the progression of the WoW story. The game is aging, though perhaps aging well. High-points were the Firelands raid, and the heroics and raids present at launch. Vashir was beautifully done, and has the least annoying underwater combat in any game I've ever played (though the gated nature of the zone almost forbade exploration and there was no reason to go back to it afterwards). Transmog (item appearance customization) arrived (at last... better 7 years late than never), but is still too restrictive... this made old content fresh again... brilliant! Low points were the dismally small amount of raid bosses released with Firelands and Dragon Soul. The progression reset with a new expansion's increased level cap is unavoidable, but the structure of valor/justice/heroics made for a mini-progression reset with every sub-patch, and really forced many people to see the gear treadmill through the curtain. Quests were also painfully linear. Talent trees were simplified with the aim of reducing options while increasing choice... unfortunately, the opposite happened, taking 10 or so "truly-optional" talent assignments down to ~3. Mists has reduced this further. Goblin and worgen starting quests were well done. The community has been becoming increasingly toxic, but cross-server raiding has the chance to make this less of an issue, as it has opened the door for sites like openraid.us where there are consequences once again for being a d-bag.

Overall, I had some of my happiest moments in videogames with this expansion. I mostly blame my guild for that, but this game let that happen, so I'm deeply appreciative.
  52. Jan 4, 2013
    Haven't played on the official site yet!!! But a pretty good one!! Amazing ideas used!!! I guess the best online game till date!!! Gotta see the latest addition!!
  53. Mar 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. World of Warcraft Expansion: ‘Cataclysm’ Views on the PvE & PvP system
    World of Warcraft has changed alot during the time I’ve played. I wasn’t sure how Cataclysm would go down, but it has surprised me. The game-play has improved overall; however the PvP experience and PvE experience has changed alot. An Example of how PvP changed; PvE raid gear can be acquired by doing ‘Raid Finders’ premade groups. Gear is dropped from bosses, however there is an unbalanced PvP system because of this because now Patch 3.3.5 raid gear is much more overpowered than the PvP gear. This makes no sense... PvP gear should be doing its job, owning ‘noobs’ in BG’s with PvE gear. However this is not the case, you will get 1shotted by certain classes which have been tweaked to increase their performance and whom acquire these over-powered raid gear. On the other hand, the Raiding experience in Cataclysm has improved which is what kept me playing, raid bosses, world bosses encounters are becoming harder which means it’s not just charge and attack, the group has to form strategies and implement them into their game-play. The new raids have also been tweaked and bosses are seemingly dropping better loot and at a more often rate. Overall I believe the new expansion ‘Cataclysm’ has impacted WoW in a big way. The PvP system has corrupted due to the unbalanced gear but however the raiding experience is becoming alot more fun, and makes players think twice about tactics and strategies to overcome an encounter. Hopefully in the next expansion, the PvP system will get balanced and the gear will be sorted. What I mean by sorted is that PvP gear is better than the majority of the PvE gear because that’s what it is for and nerf downgrade the PvP gear so that its only got an advantage while PvE raiding. The best thing about this expansion is that the scenery has changed and everyone wants a new change right? Stormwind looks brilliant. The fiery cores and corrupt walls have really made the city look as if it was attacked by ‘Death-wing’ the world boss. So I believe because of this expansion they are trying to persuade players to do more PvE rather than PvP. The PvE Loot system is still the same, and is very good (Need before Greed). Very well done Blizz, however please consider balancing the PvP system in the next expansion!
    Click here to see the trailer for the expansion CLICK HERE
    #World of Warcraft-‘Cataclysm’
    - Infamous Offence
  54. Feb 21, 2014
    Cataclysm was a positive expansion for WoW.... but not as much as TBC or WotLK. Cata brought about come game updates that really needed to happen for the future of the game... but didn't provide as much content for end-game as the previous expansions.
  55. Jun 5, 2014
    A lot of people didn't/ don't like this expansion but I really enjoyed it. It was difficult and made the bad players who thought they were good (who also happen to always have the biggest mouths) leave out of frustration. The community continues to get more and more toxic and it continues to effect the game itself.
    Some of the best 5man content comes from this expansion as well as some of
    Some of the best 5man content comes from this expansion as well as some of the best raid boss fights. BWD (and the final boss) could be argued as reused content like NAXX as well as reusing a certain famous boss from the original game. At this point all my friends have stopped playing which lowered my enjoyment by half. I also enjoyed the remake of the original game, it needed the upgrade bad.
  56. Jan 16, 2011
    For a bit of background about me, I played WoW extensively when it first came out (cleared Naxx) then played a bit when TBC came out (mostly arena) and quit at level 78 with WotLK.

I came back to Cataclysm after seeing beta footage on Youtube and having it pique my interest. I had lost my account at that point, so I needed to start from scratch. The game blew me away almost from the

The game blew me away almost from the get-go. I was absolutely stunned with how much I enjoyed it, especially remembering the agony of leveling before. Almost every zone has a story, some small tale that you affect, brilliantly using the phasing mechanic to make you feel like your actions impact the zone.

The entire game felt fresh and new, many small things were added to make learning things easier. No more training defense and weapon skills, notifications when you can learn new moves from the trainer, improved interfaces, spell alerts etc. etc.

I had a perpetual blast from 1-60, but alas that's when the magic abruptly ends. Being a casual gamer, I played maybe a 2-3 hours a week, and levels 50-60 (which pre-cataclysm used to take ages to complete) now take about 1/2 hour per level un-rested.

At level 60 this joyride comes to a screeching halt, and outlands and beyond. All of a sudden after having fun, rewarding, half hour level ups it takes about 2-3 hours PER LEVEL. The quests in the outlands starting zones give LESS exp than old world level 55 quests. The quests are also much further spaced out (meaning more travel time) and overall not as fun (kill 10 of x and 20 of y). I am currently level 69, and went to Northrend. That place hasn't changed much either, and I will not be continuing my "adventures" much longer.

If I was to give out a recommendation for this game, I'd say that you should just buy the original WoW and play through leveling to 60. The expansion content is only necessary if you want to play goblins/worgen/blood elves/draenei or want to continue beyond level 60.
  57. Dec 11, 2010
    Goblin's missions were pure fun (I even forgot that I was playing WoW), but when I came to Orgrimmar, I lost my interest in playing. I think Cataclysm came too early, but also I do believe Blizzard will make it more valuable later with some big patches
  58. Dec 26, 2010
    For what it adds to the game, this should probably be rated a 10. Getting to max level is easier than ever too, so that's a huge plus. However, seeing as Blizzard made no indication on the difficulty increase to the average user thus nothing can be done without a guild or a decent group on your server, I'm left wondering why they made random heroics in the first place. As always withFor what it adds to the game, this should probably be rated a 10. Getting to max level is easier than ever too, so that's a huge plus. However, seeing as Blizzard made no indication on the difficulty increase to the average user thus nothing can be done without a guild or a decent group on your server, I'm left wondering why they made random heroics in the first place. As always with these kind of games, while the gameplay can be fine, the community ruins any enjoyment I could get from it.

PS - They said they wouldn't nerf heroics, but they're going to have to before everyone quits from not being able to get any done with random bad players.
  59. Jan 20, 2011
    The game is really fun but wait I hate the most are the queues for dungeons. 30-50 minute queues is ridiculous. The dungeons are also much longer than they use to. I remember finishing dungeons within 30 minutes during WOTLK. Now they are taking 1 hour + per dungeon.

PvP is also pretty unbalance. Frost mages who can win by just running around spamming ice lance 80% of the fight is dumb. I also purchased my World of Warcraft Cataclysm at www.wtsmystuff.com for $37.99. Great deals for many games. That is where I do all my pc game purchases.
  60. Mar 7, 2011
    I've played WoW since the BC days and seen the changes. The old classic world is revamped forever and quests have become linear. The storyline for this expansion is not the best compared to previous expansions. Compared to WoTLK the dungeons and raids have been made a bit harder. Probably for the outrageous numbers of players in forums complaining how easy Wraith was. Graphics are neverI've played WoW since the BC days and seen the changes. The old classic world is revamped forever and quests have become linear. The storyline for this expansion is not the best compared to previous expansions. Compared to WoTLK the dungeons and raids have been made a bit harder. Probably for the outrageous numbers of players in forums complaining how easy Wraith was. Graphics are never high end because Blizzard tries to get as many people as they can get. Be it that people have a crap computer to high end users. This game is a bit shorter than usually for the start of a expansion but more content will come in the months ahead. Expand
  61. ltx
    Mar 12, 2011
    Fun for a little while. Unless you're into raiding or other long-term grinds, this expansion brings about 2 months worth of content. Overall, least amount of content from any expansion so far. This would be fine if expansion release cycle was shortened to 1 year or even 6 months. Good stuff: heroic dungeons were a lot of fun before everyone geared out and difficulty was reduced. New zones,Fun for a little while. Unless you're into raiding or other long-term grinds, this expansion brings about 2 months worth of content. Overall, least amount of content from any expansion so far. This would be fine if expansion release cycle was shortened to 1 year or even 6 months. Good stuff: heroic dungeons were a lot of fun before everyone geared out and difficulty was reduced. New zones, although few, are pretty and have story-lines. Expand
  62. Mar 16, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dear Blizzard, Thank you for revamping old Azeroth into a world of heavenly (and Horde-favored, LOKTAR OGAR!) experience for the playerbase. Thank you for making some nice new zones and two competent (I hated the BS races) new races. Thank you for adding even more BRILLIANT music to the game and, perhaps MOST importantly, thank you for both making the Forsaken as a playable race make any sense and giving the trolls a new starting zone. Also thank you for making your end game content fun and challeng- WHAT? 19 direct nerfs to heroics? 15% luck of the draw buff? Oh, dear God, Blizzard, DON'T GO BACK TO THE HELL OF WOTLK. Also to everyone who "hates" this expansion and is "done" I have 3 things to say: 1: If you are calling leveling too easy, yes I can agree with that, WTF Blizz? 2: If you are quitting, you'll be back, you've probably "quit: every damn patch, and 3: If you ARE quitting, NOBODY CARES! you are a worthless internet troll and Blizzard wouldn't care if you DIED, get over yourself. This is, however, only MY opinion, and I recommend you try it out, seeing as how the revamp of old Azeroth was done via a patch, so you don't need to buy the expansion to experience this updated content. Expand
  63. Feb 11, 2012
    I'll start saying that I've played Wow since the original (although I played more The burning crusade, because it was months away), so I witnessed the decay and the various kind of downgrades/upgrades of the series. With that settled, I honestly like this expansion, more than the wrath of the lich king: the dungeons are fun to do, it actually requests some tactics in order to proceed, andI'll start saying that I've played Wow since the original (although I played more The burning crusade, because it was months away), so I witnessed the decay and the various kind of downgrades/upgrades of the series. With that settled, I honestly like this expansion, more than the wrath of the lich king: the dungeons are fun to do, it actually requests some tactics in order to proceed, and the raids as well are fun to do with proper and better tactics than the previous expansion (I don't mean to offend: it's just what I think). Honestly, I don't get it why it's so hated: it's not a perfect expansion yes, but it IS better than wrath of the lich king; I know the previous expansion had a fantastic lore, but the game was too boring and too easy in comparison. And now, we have to be more carefull on various things: gear is slightly more important to check and a small improvement is actually necessary; dungeons require tactics to comprehend, but that''s logical, but at least they're not just spanking (...for the most part). In general, I wasn't disappointed by this expansion, except for maybe one biggest flaw ever: there is SO few content! The raids are very few (5 to this day, excluding the Tol Barad one), the new zones are big but they aren't that many to explore, and the dungeons are still very few (at least that's my general idea). On top of that, the game is always getting easier and easier, although fans beg for more difficulty: we got heroic raids yes, but blizzard should stop always following the casual gamers: I'm a casual gamer now, but I demand more challenge!. Bottom line, I think this expansion was more of a transition than a real proper expansion, a way to remake the main lands better, and really I can't complain because it was a real desert after the burning crusade. But I still wish for more content... Expand
  64. Oct 8, 2011
    Despite it being a decent expansion, Cataclysm ultimately caused me to cancel my account by revealing the man behind the curtain. The remake of the old world was pretty cool, but zones have now become incredibly linear, like one big quest chain, and you tend to outlevel them before you complete them. Then you power through Outland and Northrend, which are both in a sort of lore limbo.Despite it being a decent expansion, Cataclysm ultimately caused me to cancel my account by revealing the man behind the curtain. The remake of the old world was pretty cool, but zones have now become incredibly linear, like one big quest chain, and you tend to outlevel them before you complete them. Then you power through Outland and Northrend, which are both in a sort of lore limbo. Afterward you enter the new zones, which again are pretty cool, but it quickly becomes a treadmill where you endlessly grind rep/points/dungeons. There was and still is, not much new content. Expand
  65. Aug 9, 2011
    After playing for 4 years at a cost of 675$ in total subscription costs and a couple hundred in discs and another hundred worth of pets and mounts it has been the most immersive MMORPG I have ever installed. The cataclysm expansion was long awaited by myself and millions of other players and it delivered about 25% of the satisfaction we expected in the game. Farming nodes are as if someoneAfter playing for 4 years at a cost of 675$ in total subscription costs and a couple hundred in discs and another hundred worth of pets and mounts it has been the most immersive MMORPG I have ever installed. The cataclysm expansion was long awaited by myself and millions of other players and it delivered about 25% of the satisfaction we expected in the game. Farming nodes are as if someone just decided to put a few lines of nodes in each new area and call it a day, versus pre-cata where nodes could be anywhere. Each week is met with at least 8-10 hours of complete downtime and neverending restarts as if they don't quite know exactly what they are doing. They recently also shut down all forums during these downtimes to ensure they need not read about unhappy players who spend real money for downtime. Quests which used to take time to figure out to complete are overly too simple as if the new target player base is 8 to 12 year old kids. Rest assured that once you have learned your class and become good at it, blizzard will rewrite your skills and abilities to ensure you are half as strong as you once were and after overcoming that hurdle, they weaken you even more. End content in the game requires you to somehow become affluent in raid tactics and gear to even be eligible to play the end content, typically reserved for the top 10% of the realm. Goldsellers, (hackers), frequent the servers to steal passwords and accounts then bilk these accounts clean to sell your stolen items on the auction house with no retaliation as blizzard can roll-back your account to replace stolen items. One would surmise that these hackers would be banned, yet they are not and instill the idea that they are beneficial to Blizzard akin to the term, "you scratch our back and we'll scratch yours", the idea that if a player buys gold from a goldseller, that player will be banned but will be able to buy a new cd set to continue playing with a new slate. Tactical title sales? Be warned, it's no longer as safe as it once was, just ask any player who purchased an authenticator. Expand
  66. Nov 20, 2011
    World Of Warcraft what an awesome game. Then cata came along and slightly ruined it with its health and damage system. In wrath at lvl 80 I saw a druid tank with 55k health and I thought wow he has alot of health. In cata you get lvl 80 with your 30-40k health you lvl up to 81 and you have 50k and it keeps going up till you 85 and you have about 90- 105k health and then you get fullyWorld Of Warcraft what an awesome game. Then cata came along and slightly ruined it with its health and damage system. In wrath at lvl 80 I saw a druid tank with 55k health and I thought wow he has alot of health. In cata you get lvl 80 with your 30-40k health you lvl up to 81 and you have 50k and it keeps going up till you 85 and you have about 90- 105k health and then you get fully geared and think to yourself WTF????? I have 200k health and a feral druid just crit 100k on me? hmmm I think ill go play runescape, at least that isnt messed up this badly. WoW is good overall, But cata just came along and ruined everything. Im not going to say dont buy this as its not worth it because you kind off need it to progress in the game. Expand
  67. Oct 1, 2012
    Cataclysm is an expansion that had so much potential.The new races are terrific.Unfortunately, questing in Outlands and Northrend is still terrible after 100 times.The endgame has few dungeons, that are not so amusing.And the final boss/patch was just too fast and not epic.
  68. Dec 2, 2012
    Worst expansion to date (didn't try MOP yet) but it wasn't that bad. Biggest plus for reworking 1-60 zones, 80-85 was OK and end game was just more of the same. It was just missing the feeling that TBC and WOTLK had.
  69. Mar 7, 2012
    Alright, sure it is not Vanilla anymore. There was more time spent for me on Vanilla as for gear hunting and raiding, than there is in CATACLYSM. But, i want to add, it beats every MMO i tried. And i am not necessarily a fan boy. I played Aion, Rift, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Lineage II, Guild Wars,, I've been liking Guild Wars alot, but not for the challenge. As for Cataclysm, it isAlright, sure it is not Vanilla anymore. There was more time spent for me on Vanilla as for gear hunting and raiding, than there is in CATACLYSM. But, i want to add, it beats every MMO i tried. And i am not necessarily a fan boy. I played Aion, Rift, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, Lineage II, Guild Wars,, I've been liking Guild Wars alot, but not for the challenge. As for Cataclysm, it is still a fun game. Sure they tend to listen to the people who does not want to work to get their gear... But whatever.. Since Vanilla i am Healing on a Holy Paladin. When they nerf us or buff us, or even change us, whatever? A real gamer is a gamer who can stand the changes... I know the Raids are easy, look i started playing again after 3 months of non play, and i still already bet Dragon's Soul on Normal and Heroic in only 2 Weeks.. I still like the game... I have my pals i am raiding with, and i am happy with the game. I would never say no to get back to Vanilla Raid difficulty, i hope Blizzard will do it one day. But it's a long game, atleast. Perfect for a Casual Gamer, which is playing Hardcore (by the fact that i do not play all day, but i raid two times a week). PVP is still good, but it always remain on which class is OP and which is not. Skill is the other half of the victories. In my opinion, this game is still good, but got a BIT downhill, not by much, but it got downhill. Fights in Raids gets repetitive since Burning Crusade. Whatever... I love playing the game still. Definately gonna keep playing, though i hope they add more stuff even, in the future. Thanks Blizzard for the efforts, i think they are not trickering us and stealing us, like companies such as Infinity Ward, trickering their COD fans. Thanks for staying True. Expand
  70. May 15, 2012
    I'm going to give Cata a 7, and this being a full 18 months since release. Contrary to one of the "highlighted" reviews, the changes to guilds have KILLED recruiting. If you weren't already in a good raiding guild, you have to give up all your current guild perks in order to switch, so even if people are in a social guild and want to try their hand at raiding with a decent raiding guildI'm going to give Cata a 7, and this being a full 18 months since release. Contrary to one of the "highlighted" reviews, the changes to guilds have KILLED recruiting. If you weren't already in a good raiding guild, you have to give up all your current guild perks in order to switch, so even if people are in a social guild and want to try their hand at raiding with a decent raiding guild for awhile, there is no motivation to do so for fear of losing those perks and having to grind back into the good graces of the new guild. And same again if you wanted to return your now skillful toon back into your social guild to help them out.

No real dailies in Cata to guide players into areas of content as it was in previous releases.

PVP still broken - Bring back what was lost in BC, please.

But the basic game is still solid, with many new convenience features.
  71. May 25, 2012
    There's the development team and the artists to be commended. They have truly put in a lot of their time into constructing this. However, there are weak points that truly disappointed me, which many people here have stated. I will be awaiting the next expansion, and truly hope, Blizzard have heard our pleas and improve the game.
  72. Jul 20, 2012
    It's a quality expansion of course, Blizzard doesn't put out crap, despite what haters like to say. But this expansion lost some of what I loved about older versions. I do not like the dumbed down talent trees. I do not like the simplicity of play rotations. It's so obviously laid out that if you play in a creative way then you suffer worse results, no matter what your role is. I don'tIt's a quality expansion of course, Blizzard doesn't put out crap, despite what haters like to say. But this expansion lost some of what I loved about older versions. I do not like the dumbed down talent trees. I do not like the simplicity of play rotations. It's so obviously laid out that if you play in a creative way then you suffer worse results, no matter what your role is. I don't like some of the options that have become common place. A built in quest helper guides you to your next objectives. Of course I use it because it's there, lest I be left behind, but you lose your sense of exploration, isolation, and discovery. You used to be able to search a zone and see something hidden and amazing and wonder how many players took the time to discover what you've discovered. Now you all follow the same linear path through the zone. A similar issue exists with changing the appearance of your gear. Yeah I use it, but I hate it. We should have to display the gear we've earned and live with it. If you want to break out your Soulforge from your bank and wear it that's your choice. I don't like how huge the zones are. They're pretty good looking and the quality of quests is usually decent but you're stuck in the same damn zone for hours and you just want to move on. Another issue is fast flying mounts. It trivializes the epic feeling of time and space that you used to get with Wow. Just fly over it and get where you need to go as fast as possible. Don't take the time to stop and enjoy the scenery or you'll be left behind. Arenas suck too...mostly because I suck at them and I'm mad. Anyway, I'll be back for panda time but I'm now a sceptic. Giving no lower than a 7 because Wow overall is the best game ever created :P P.S.-The old zone makeovers are a GOOD THING!! Expand
  73. Dec 10, 2012
    The turning point in WoW as Blizzard start to run out of ideas ? Much of the old content is now gone and changed to suit the casual player and leveling and dungeons have been made very easy. Still a great story being told and the base game play is still fun.
  74. Nov 11, 2014
    The ideas behind this expansion were solid and quite interesting. It was exciting to see Deathwing break out into the world from Deepholm in the opening cinematic and play through the story of Deathwing throughout the expansion. The worlds and questing story was great. However, at times, there were sections of the expansion that felt forced. This includes some of the raids and some of theThe ideas behind this expansion were solid and quite interesting. It was exciting to see Deathwing break out into the world from Deepholm in the opening cinematic and play through the story of Deathwing throughout the expansion. The worlds and questing story was great. However, at times, there were sections of the expansion that felt forced. This includes some of the raids and some of the zones and quests in the game. It felt as though they didn't have enough stuff for Deathwing in the game so they just threw in some extra side stuff and it didn't feel as though it all belonged in this expansion as everything did with Wrath of the Lich King. The game was quite fun, but the raids got boring quick. I still think it was a decent expansion though. It could have been worse, like Mists of Pandaria. Expand
  75. May 20, 2011
    I played Cataclysm until recently. It's pretty fun at first, but the magic is gone. The storyline at this point makes absolutely no sense and has come down in 4.1 to "for some random reason former good guy Trolls are now evil, so go kill them in these recycled dungeons." Content is pathetically slow in coming since release, and weak when it finally did arrive. There's a great sense of "whoI played Cataclysm until recently. It's pretty fun at first, but the magic is gone. The storyline at this point makes absolutely no sense and has come down in 4.1 to "for some random reason former good guy Trolls are now evil, so go kill them in these recycled dungeons." Content is pathetically slow in coming since release, and weak when it finally did arrive. There's a great sense of "who cares?" in most of what's going on. To top it off, Blizzard is now largely focused on tacking on extra charges more then they are improving the game. It's been a good run, but this is a game that's lost its way. Expand
  76. Dec 16, 2010
    The game gets a 6 for some lovely new zones, a fun reworking of Azeroth, but essentially a failure to move forward in terms of gameplay or design. In other words, it is more of the same old endless grind. If you enjoyed it before, you will enjoy it again. It's worth a trip to fly round Azeroth, enjoy a couple of the new zones; but it is not fresh and not innovative.

The new high level

The new high level world content is fun while it lasts, but quickly finished. After that it's the same old sit in a city and wait for dungeons to pop, pray your gizmo drops so you can do a more difficult version of the same dungeon; grind reputation, grind honour, grind justice points by endless repetition.

I can't wait till we see a new breed of MMOs which emphasize dynamic change, and interaction in a living breathing world, rather than a treadmill of instances and limited battleground. A game which focuses upon random surprise, rather than perfecting scripted predictability. A game which finally shatters the - go to quest hub, kill 10 of these, 10 of those, 10 of the other.

Cataclysm makes strides here - some of the new quests are fun. But too many repeat the same old formula. Basically, get it, play for your month, and then delete.
  77. Dec 9, 2010
    There's multiple ways to go about reviewing Cataclysm.
    The actual event, and the content itself that was distributed for free is utterly excellent and some of the quest chains are so well excecuted that the quests would have you believe that it's been written like a standard, non-mmo while still maintaining excellent functionality. Under that rule, Cataclysm is a solid 10/10.
    There's multiple ways to go about reviewing Cataclysm.

Unfortunately, that is not the only thing to consider. What "Cataclysm" is, as a boxed product, is a meager amount of content that costs as much as a full priced game. £30 for a couple of extra zones and a couple of new races is just utter robbery which they will easily get away with. It's unjustified to give out such little content for such a high price without using the reason "We want the money and we can get away with it".

So it depends on your stance on Cataclysm. Do you interpret the game as being one solid package, including the content which does not require you actually own the game this review is based around, or do you base it upon the game you are receiving in the box? As far as the boxed copy goes, it's a solid 5/10 for extremely poor value for money. As far as the full content including free content goes, it's a solid 10/10. If you don't own Cataclysm, just get yourself patched up to 4.0.3a and you can enjoy the majority of the content for free without paying a penny.
  78. Jan 2, 2011
    Cataclysm is great fun, if you have the time for it. For new users, the expansion has improved the leveling experience so that it feels cohesive and flows better. The use of in-game cinematics also makes the whole experience much more fun and immersive. There really is no better time to get into the game than right now, IMO. Be warned, though, that the user base tends to be a bitCataclysm is great fun, if you have the time for it. For new users, the expansion has improved the leveling experience so that it feels cohesive and flows better. The use of in-game cinematics also makes the whole experience much more fun and immersive. There really is no better time to get into the game than right now, IMO. Be warned, though, that the user base tends to be a bit sociopathic. Just try not to let random players being mean ruin your fun, and you'll be fine.

For users that are already into the franchise, views seem to be mixed. I actually found leveling from 80-85 to be much harder than previous tiers, but then again I'm not geared for dealing damage--I'm geared for healing as a paladin. Your mileage may vary here. Leveling from 80-85 didn't take much time at all. That being said, I hate leveling, so this is a good thing. The new zones are also amazing, using brand-new quest mechanics with great story lines. One of my favorite zones in the game is one of the new ones--Uldum. Pretty much all of the content I've played has been spot-on.

Here's where my low score comes in. I found that once I hit 83 and began to do semi-max to max level content, difficulty increased steeply. (Again, because I'm a healer, YMMV. Healing difficulty has certainly sharply increased.) I found that very jarring, personally, because earlier content is very simple to complete. Groups in the 80-85 range must be coordinated if they want to get through heroic dungeons, and to some extent regular dungeons. While this is much less boring than the Wrath model of dungeon running, it takes much more time. Most heroics take groups on my server around 3-4 hours to complete at this point in time. My server (Zangarmarsh) is about average on the side of progression--not good but not bad, either. I can imagine that it would be better or worse, depending on the server.

Since I'm working, going to college, and raising a (currently) 1-year-old girl with my husband's help, I simply do not have time for that much gameplay in a week. The Wrath model would have allowed me to keep playing, but sadly, this was not to be. Since the only way for me to get gear to raid would be to run one regular dungeon a day for a very small amount of currency to get gear, my estimate gear up time is going to be several months. I think perhaps I will take a break until I either have more time or the content takes less time to do.

Pros: Much better leveling experience, great zone redesigns as well as new areas, story lines generally improved, much better gameplay at max level.

Cons: Time sink at max level. Difficulty curve sharply steepens around 83 or so (at least from a healing perspective.)
  79. Jan 10, 2011
    Smaller scale than the first two expansions and not as well tested. Some of the PVP content, Tol Barad - the new Wintergrasp- in particular, is very poor. Its a far cry from the days Blizzard delays the burning crusade because they wanted to releases as polished a product as possible. The concept is great and when its good it really is but it just feels far to rushed in places.
  80. Apr 10, 2011
    Revamped areas, two new races, new instances/battlegrounds and a general streamlining of the levelling process make Cataclysm a fairly decent expansion to the series. However, as much as Blizzard sugarcoat it, it still results in a lack of end-game content if you're not in a huge raiding guild. This alienation of the player base that prefers playing in small groups or solo is unforgivableRevamped areas, two new races, new instances/battlegrounds and a general streamlining of the levelling process make Cataclysm a fairly decent expansion to the series. However, as much as Blizzard sugarcoat it, it still results in a lack of end-game content if you're not in a huge raiding guild. This alienation of the player base that prefers playing in small groups or solo is unforgivable in a game that promises so much. The new heroic mode provides a few hours of challenge which sadly doesn't last once you've seen them all at least once. Battlegrounds are, as ever, down mainly to pot luck (being in a decent server group) or the gear you have on. Level to 85, check out the areas, talents and instances, but don't expect anything much different from previous offerings or even anything particularly challenging. What was once an endless grind to the next piece of gear has stayed relatively unchanged. Expand
  81. Mar 28, 2011
    I've been playing WoW since a week before Burning Crusade came out. I've been a fanboy ever since...loving the content and having plenty to do. I was getting a bit burned by the end of Wrath and debated getting Cataclysm. I did it anyway and was pretty happy with the first two areas I went through...the cut scenes they added were a pretty cool addition. Seeing how the stats on all theI've been playing WoW since a week before Burning Crusade came out. I've been a fanboy ever since...loving the content and having plenty to do. I was getting a bit burned by the end of Wrath and debated getting Cataclysm. I did it anyway and was pretty happy with the first two areas I went through...the cut scenes they added were a pretty cool addition. Seeing how the stats on all the new gear and weapons was very attractive...had my warrior's health up to 80k in no time...and then it hit me...I had just cleared my 3rd full area of quests and headed in to a 4th new area...I gathered up 3 or 4 new quests from the NPCs...and all of a sudden I felt my dinner coming back up, and cold sweat coming...go kill 10 Hateful Beings, and gather 6 Something or other essences, and free 12 Pitiful Souls...Blah! I was done...no more...I just couldn't go on...I'd seen enough of the reused buildings and creatures with new color schemes...I didn't want to do a dungeon 100+ times to get enough points for my new gear...not to mention tanking was not the same (i loved tanking), and rarely were groups patient enough as I learned the fights and geared up. My money, my time...I'm done. Looking forward to the Fall lineup of MMOs...until then, I'll catch up on some cool title for my PS3...peace All. No longer LFG... Expand
  82. Sep 26, 2011
    WoW: Cataclysm is hard to rate, and really it should be divided into two separate games. One is the new 1-60 content, and the other is the end-game. I would give 1-60 an 8 and the endgame a 4 so they average to 6. Now obviously, if we make comparisons, since all reviews are a form of comparison, the closest thing we can compare Cataclysm to is Wrath of the Lich King, which I thought wasWoW: Cataclysm is hard to rate, and really it should be divided into two separate games. One is the new 1-60 content, and the other is the end-game. I would give 1-60 an 8 and the endgame a 4 so they average to 6. Now obviously, if we make comparisons, since all reviews are a form of comparison, the closest thing we can compare Cataclysm to is Wrath of the Lich King, which I thought was a tremendous expansion and I gave an 8. I know WotLK's content endgame was pretty easy (well, very easy), but that wasn't why I like it. WotLK's endgame dungeons had some very interesting environments, dungeons and lore. Lore. That is what is really missing with Cataclysm. You feel with endgame that you are simply going through the motions. There's nothing really unique or significant with design, architecture, or anything else. The gameplay is almost exactly the same as the previous expansion, with the exception that they put crowd control back in, and has been essentially the same throughout the series, so how do I rate the game on that aspect? It really is the world-building, the quests, and what you're hero accomplishes in his adventures against the Lich King, the Old Gods, and the Burning Legion that makes WoW entertaining, and I feel that Cataclysm ultimately failed to deliver the sense that you're character's actions have any sort of impact with endgame so far. There's just no depth to it. That said, I would spend all my time with Cata leveling from 1 to 60, because the new quest areas for new characters *were* developed with a sense of impact and interest, and some of the quests you just cannot miss (Badlands). So there's my summation. I don't know how helpful it will be if at all. Expand
  83. Aug 7, 2011
    A late review since i also think Cataclysm is a terrible expansion. I hope blizzard put their A team back on wow for the next xpac. Think its pretty obvious that they were working on some other game instead of Cata. The issues i have are: The graphics are terrible. Fly around Northrend or Outlands for good graphics. 80-85 content looks very primitive and bland. The soundtrack has beenA late review since i also think Cataclysm is a terrible expansion. I hope blizzard put their A team back on wow for the next xpac. Think its pretty obvious that they were working on some other game instead of Cata. The issues i have are: The graphics are terrible. Fly around Northrend or Outlands for good graphics. 80-85 content looks very primitive and bland. The soundtrack has been destroyed. Went from equal best in a video game to stupid hollywood crap. Worst of all, say you did like the story, the model has changed to tens of little of quest hubs in a zone. Over everything else, this has made questing meaningless. If you only know an npc and their story for 20 mins max, you'll forget the npc just as easily. Oh yeah, the endgame is identical to previous expansions. Expand
  84. Nov 3, 2011
    Half-assed and overhyped expansion. Many of the features got scrapped, most of the content is just repainted old one, and it has worst end-game out of all of the expansions. WoW needs something new, not more of the same old crap we all saw hundreds of times already.
  85. Jun 1, 2011
    Cataclysm is a very hard expansion to review. On one hand, the leveling content (Both from 1-60 and 80-85) is much more streamlined than it was before, though it is also much easier which may take down the enjoyment for more hardcore players. Casual players will likely be turned off though by the increase in time commitment required for endgame raiding from Wrath, along with much longerCataclysm is a very hard expansion to review. On one hand, the leveling content (Both from 1-60 and 80-85) is much more streamlined than it was before, though it is also much easier which may take down the enjoyment for more hardcore players. Casual players will likely be turned off though by the increase in time commitment required for endgame raiding from Wrath, along with much longer heroic dungeons. My recommendation is to look for another mmo, such as Guild Wars or Rift, or waiting for the old Republic Expand
  86. Jul 18, 2011
    It was interesting to see how this expansion reworked the original regions of Azeroth. However, the new max level content was a bit of a let down, in terms of quantity. I expected more to do, and there just didn't feel like more.
  87. Sep 17, 2011
    I love world of warcraft. Butt iam not die hard gaming freak i got a live to. So let me say this is the expand good or not well the f*ck up some good **** in this game but the graphics story and the fun in it don`t forget the leveling up system make this game OK not good but OK.
  88. Jul 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm just gonna be straight up here. I've only played the game for 2 years, yet I'm already kinda burnt out of it. However, it emits an attractive vibe that just keeps me coming back. It's addiction, my friends. I can't even find any WoW clones attractive. It's addictive and it's even fun most of the time. Whenever I get bored on WoW, I find a way to cure my boredom, maybe even have a few laughs. That's what I loved about WoW; its semi non-linearity. Now, however, that non-linearity kinda disappeared with Cataclysm. It's quest, gold, raid, gloat. It's always been like this but I just feel like Cataclysm is where it's been most pronounced. Even in Wrath it wasn't like this. I've raided this expansion. I find it challenging and fun. However, I've been burnt out. Hell, on my 85s I haven't even done a dungeon for months because I just don't enjoy the queues, then having the group fall apart because the tank doesn't know what a taunt is. I just prefer the leveling. I've done all the old zones plenty of times before Cataclysm and the reworking of the zones was very refreshing. However, it's just starting to get old now, and I cry in pain whenever I get to Outland because it's the same thing it was for years, now. Now, I wait it out. I level to 60, do some stuff there, then level to 60 again. I actually find it quite entertaining, even though I've done it plenty of times already. I'm a slow leveler, so I guess that inadvertently prolongs the enjoyment. I really hope Blizzard doesn't disappoint next expansion. BlizzCon is getting me excited. However, in interim, I find that my playtime is slowly eroding and having its place taken by other games like Team Fortress 2. It's burning out, but there still are glimmers of hope left. Expand
  89. Sep 18, 2011
    World of Warcraft is still and probably always be one of the most beautiful online "worlds" in terms of MMORPGs. It's massive and pretty, although somewhat repetitive. At first it is easy to disregard it as a complete repacking of Vanilla, with a few extra areas thrown in for good measure. (Nothing was really changed in regards to BC or WotLK, at least not too much) The gameplay is muchWorld of Warcraft is still and probably always be one of the most beautiful online "worlds" in terms of MMORPGs. It's massive and pretty, although somewhat repetitive. At first it is easy to disregard it as a complete repacking of Vanilla, with a few extra areas thrown in for good measure. (Nothing was really changed in regards to BC or WotLK, at least not too much) The gameplay is much the same as it ever was, except now traveling does not take as long, leveling progresses much faster (sometimes this is good and bad) and the story does take an interesting twist. That being said the biggest issue is the story. Although it makes perfect sense what has happened in Azeroth, the missing elements are disappointing. What happened to the Emerald Dream? I'm still waiting for that. I want to face off with the Titans and Old Gods, I want the end to draw near in an epic battle, that I can play again, with better or more challenging mechanics, something. In essence you will be doing more of the same and there are some challenging instances, beautiful areas and awesome bind on account equipment BUT, we really need a change or I feel this game is going to die soon. Great if you love the Warcraft series but awful if you don't. Probably also not the best change for the most hardcore WoW players, since the challenge level slightly dropped. Save for some of the places in Deepholm, Hyjal and Uldum. Also what's the deal with only adding 5 levels? I know there is always epic loot but Blizzard, if we assume has at least 9 million people left, or at least did at once time, they were pulling in about 135,000,000 (135 million) per month, not including the cost of the game and expansions. Where is all the money going? That is my real problem with this expansion. Expand
  90. Dec 11, 2011
    Warcraft Cataclysm is an ok game that will provide players with hours of goal-oriented entertainment. Upon starting the game, the first goal for most players will be to get to the maximum level. This is done though an array of quest that are varied from mindlessly boring to extremely exciting. The problem is that many quest themselves are repetitive and like I said, boring. The fun isn'tWarcraft Cataclysm is an ok game that will provide players with hours of goal-oriented entertainment. Upon starting the game, the first goal for most players will be to get to the maximum level. This is done though an array of quest that are varied from mindlessly boring to extremely exciting. The problem is that many quest themselves are repetitive and like I said, boring. The fun isn't completing the quest, but getting that much closer to the maximum level. Upon reaching that maximum level, the next logical step is clearing the highest level dungeons. Unfortunately, just how fun this is depends widely on who is clearing the dungeon with you, and what class you are playing. But clearing each dungeon has a certain level of satisfaction, being able to say you accomplished it. The next goal is to clear the same dungeons again on heroic difficulty. Yet again, the level of enjoyment depends widely on who is clearing the dungeons with you. Upon clearing heroic dungeons, raiding is next. Here is where things branch off. If you are able to dedicate the time and energy, raiding in a guild with several other players regularly can be a blast. But for most people, dedicating x amount of hours on y days can't be done. I will relate it to my playing. I spent approximately one and a half months raiding about two days a week. It was fun, but stressful. At the end of these one and a half months, we were able to beat one of the end bosses we had been working on for quite sometime. I had not been that emotionally excited over a video game in ages. But to have beaten the next end boss would have taken even more effort, and I already felt that this was the end for me. Eventually everything becomes repetitive and dull, but this was after many hours of entertaining gameplay. It took about 3 months to become bored of warcraft cataclysm. With monthly subscription cost and buying the game with its expansions cost around $120 total. I easily got over 120 hours of entertainment, way more in fact. If you have a few months where you can dedicate 1 or 2 hours a day to warcraft and you can see yourself raiding, then I would buy this game. Otherwise I wouldn't bother. You will eventually get bored of Warcraft, but it will take sometime for that to happen. Expand
  91. May 25, 2012
    I don't like old formula. The game is boring if there is no exciting elements injecting into the game.
    Also 10/25 combine into one CD is also very bad. That makes the game much more boring as there is really nothing to do in the game.
  92. Aug 3, 2012
    Leveling 1-60 once again was a bit of fun seeing the new content and zones, but entirely a single-player experience. Thankfully, it is a quick journey. After that though, you realize how bad the questing is in the Burning Crusade zones and trudge through (or do nothing but dungeons) until you hit the Lick King content.

Once you hit end game, it's the same WoW you've always known. Grind

Once you hit end game, it's the same WoW you've always known. Grind for gear, grind for rep, grind for some more gear, and then grind some more. Is it fun? Not for me anymore, but WoW still remains the most "solid" and polished MMO experience to date - though the impressiveness of that feat is diminished by the fact they've had 8 years now to work on it.

Mists of Panderia will be the first WoW expansion I do not purchase, and not only because of how much Cataclysm changed the game (for worse) but because the Everquest model of grind levels to then grind gear is just not enough to hold my interest anymore.
  93. Aug 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Cataclysm was the third expansion for World of Warcraft and my least favourite. The first two weeks of play were fun while I was leveling. Blizzard had really polished its phasing, vehicle fights and the way quests are presented in this expansion. Two of the new zones went in a different direction than your typical WoW zone and I liked those zones best. One was an under water zone. Many people don't like it, but personally I like it because it is different from all the other WoW zones. The other was was a cut-scene full zone that was mostly a parody of the Indiana Jones movies, I also enjoyed that zone a lot too, although some others did not. The questing in the new zones in this expansion were more linear and really told a story which I liked. Some players did not like this. One problem I encountered with this setup early on was that the phasing for one of the water zone quests was bugged which prevented you from being able to progress in the zone for about a week, so I had to leave the zone and do another one in the meantime.

The first end game instances in this expansion was kind of disappointing. For me I found that the graphics of the place just looked too old and boring, they looked like the old 5 man instances inside the mountain that were created back in 2004, they really could have done a better job on the looks of these places. The bosses weren't really that memorable. Maybe it was because we had all been playing for years and just weren't that blown away by raids anymore. Maybe the bosses weren't really that special. Right now the only one I really remember is the blind dragon, so I guess the rest in that place were not memorable lol. I do remember seeing Onyxia during the end boss fight and thinking to myself "Didn't we already kill her in a previous expansion?" Well, really we killed her already two expansions because they remade her original instance at one point too.

They really nerfed healers mana at the start of this expansion, they wanted it to be more challenging to heal but they went overboard. I had played as mainly a healer for 6 years before this point and this was the first expansion that I did not enjoy healing in. I could do it, but it just was no fun watching your team mates die because you were severey mana-challenged, especially when you were running the normal 5 mans or heroics and didn't have much end-game gear. Tol Barad was also horribly designed at the start of this expansion so that 99% of the time the opposite faction than I was had control of it. And since the loot pinata boss inside of it was only accessible to who controled it that meant no easy raid gear for our guild and that really sucked. They eventually fixed it but it was months later so by that time it was too late to get the bad taste of the design of that place out of my mouth.

When Firelands came out I was logging on each day to max out my gear tokens by running the Firelands dailies and heroic dailies. It started to feel like a chore. I would log on, do my daily quests then do my daily heroics and then log out on non-raid days. Not because I wanted to, but because it was necessary to do to max out the number of gear tokens I could get to get myself new gear as fast as possible. The Firelands dailies took a long time to complete. Blizzard has even come out and admitted that they were tuned to take too long. Then I realized that the rewards for completing all the dailies enough times rewarded gear that was slightly worse than what I was already wearing in most cases. This was the point where I got burned out on the game and I quit for 6 months. Blizzard bribed me back with their overpowered Scroll of Ressurrection where they allowed you to insta-level any one of your toons to level 80 (close to the level 85 cap). Other than the new transmog feature which finally lets me use the look of my favourite gear while wearing something else there was not enough to really keep me hooked on the game. I used the new LFR to join zerg fests to get the lower versions of the tier set, but it just feels so cheap and meaningless since no skill was involved to get them. I hung out with my guild for a couple of months to get the normal Dragon Soul tier set and that was fun, but not as fun as the old days. I barely play these days,. I am uncertain if I will purchase the next expansion.

I am giving this expansion a 6/10 because, I don't think it was a terrible expansion so I think it deserves at least average, but there is "je ne sais quoi" that was missing from this expansion that I can't give it a better rating than that.
  94. Sep 27, 2012
    As far as MMO's go, I have played better. Unfortunately in WoW you will frequently find yourself standing 40 yrds, from an enemy and casting spells or attacks at him over and over. IMO the cap should have been 75 at most, beyond that just feels like grinding.
  95. Mar 7, 2013
    I really liked the Heroic Difficulty and raid mechanics that the dungeons had at the start of the expansion, i really dislike the other stuff like pvp, questing and the lore that this game gave us.
  96. Apr 17, 2013
    Blizzard made a huge mistake in this particular expansion. The game has been dumbed down, to the point where hardcore gamers are just a bunch of tryhard dicks. This game takes minimal effort for the original gamers, and they will find themselves done with the game completely if they are in a competent guild in no time. It also reduced the amount of individuality that the game had byBlizzard made a huge mistake in this particular expansion. The game has been dumbed down, to the point where hardcore gamers are just a bunch of tryhard dicks. This game takes minimal effort for the original gamers, and they will find themselves done with the game completely if they are in a competent guild in no time. It also reduced the amount of individuality that the game had by decreasing the amount a person can use their talent tree, or at least the freedom to do so.

Now if you are new to WOW this expansion is quite awesome. The way a person is able to rise to the top with the best gear around by putting minimal effort and being that idiot that sits in a corner due to lag or lack of any idea as to what they are doing. Old WOW is dead, and so is the reward.
  97. Jan 1, 2011
    Cataclysm is just the same old stuff. Sure Azeroth looks different and now, but nothing has changed. Original Wow, and BC where 1,000 times better. They actually took skill, time, effort, and knowledge to be good at. What Blizzard has done with WotLK and Cata is almost a shame to WoW. People hit 85 within 8 hours of the release, so leveling was a complete joke. Blizzard tried to makeCataclysm is just the same old stuff. Sure Azeroth looks different and now, but nothing has changed. Original Wow, and BC where 1,000 times better. They actually took skill, time, effort, and knowledge to be good at. What Blizzard has done with WotLK and Cata is almost a shame to WoW. People hit 85 within 8 hours of the release, so leveling was a complete joke. Blizzard tried to make instances harder, but the only people they were hard for were people who joined during WotLK. If you were an original or BC player these instances were a breeze because we know how to CC. When it comes to raiding people should not be able to clear raids the first day they are released. The Tuesday of the raid release patch I logged on and instantly saw someone with 6 epics. People had the Drake mount you get from raiding in the first week. That is just a joke. PvP doesn't take skill like it used to. It's who can do the most burst damage. Most PvP arena teams don't have healers anymore because of the whole mana issue, and lets face it, only being able to heal for 10-15k with most heals is a joke when people crit for 20k+. I've been playing WoW for 6 years now, and the only reason I'm still playing it is because I hope that Bliz will changed it back to original and BC some day. People giving this game a high rating are the people who came into it during WotLK. The original WoW players know this game to be a shame. I have yet to find anything good about this game. I'm going to go back to Starcraft 2, and wait for the release of Dead Space 2 in a month. GG Blizz... Expand
  98. Jan 14, 2011
    Care Bear-clysm.. I thought that this expansion was going to be Blizz finally waking up and realizing that- A : Their game is too easy and- B: PVP and PVE need to be balanced seperately. --- I leveled up to 85 in 4-5 days, (what the hell) I mean I was just doing basic quests. Sure the end-game content is supposed to be where the "true game" starts. Well, the end-game content so far isn'tCare Bear-clysm.. I thought that this expansion was going to be Blizz finally waking up and realizing that- A : Their game is too easy and- B: PVP and PVE need to be balanced seperately. --- I leveled up to 85 in 4-5 days, (what the hell) I mean I was just doing basic quests. Sure the end-game content is supposed to be where the "true game" starts. Well, the end-game content so far isn't anything to right home about unless you like farming plain looking dungeons with super-sized, color swapped, bosses with inflated hit points/damage to give the illusion of difficulty. --- Oh and speaking of color swap, they really phoned in the armor sets this time. Not only do most classes look horrid, when you finally get to upgrade out of that ugly set "gratz color swap" same ugly set. ----- Class balance issues have seemingly always plagued this game, alright any MMO to be fair, but WoW's balancing seems to defy common sense. You get to look forward to that in this expansion too, it just gets worse because they added Mastery rating so now they have another stat to screw up. ---- Sad fact is I'm still playing WoW and probably still will be when the next expansion hits because despite what I think I'm basically just another WoW drone. Expand
  99. Feb 1, 2011
    I love World of Warcraft. I have played for over four years and have 11 level 85s.

I am not criticizing Cataclysm. I loved the new zones and the questing, but... I think Blizzard is really shoving guilds down our throats. Yes, in WOTLK, if you wanted the absolute top of the line gear, you needed to be part of a raiding guild and spend the time. Fine, but if you did not want to raid,

I am not criticizing Cataclysm. I loved the new zones and the questing, but...

I think Blizzard is really shoving guilds down our throats. Yes, in WOTLK, if you wanted the absolute top of the line gear, you needed to be part of a raiding guild and spend the time. Fine, but if you did not want to raid, there were still quite a few ways to improve yourself through heroics, PvP and achievements and still have fun.

Now, everything from achievements, to PvP, to heroics are guild-centric, so as a solo player, your options for advancement have been pretty much destroyed.

I have raised all my alts to level 85, but now what? I hardly got my guild (consisting of my alts) to level 3. So many of the achievements are guild related. Doing heroics with a Pug? Impossible. Rated battegrounds without being part of a PvP guild? Can't do that either.

So you get to 85 and that is it, nothing more to do unless you are willing to join and spend the time with an active guild. And what do I have against guilds? The drama, the power games, etc. Why play a game to reproduce the idiocy that takes place at the workplace?
  100. Feb 25, 2011
    This may be the hardest ame to review. Cataclysm's gem comes for free. Get Vanilla, get to level 60 a few times, find another game. You will love every minute of it. 60-70 was like getting teeth pulled, and 70-80 dragged on towards the end. Cataclysm (strictly speaking) 80-85 content was wonderful. Wonderful, but disgustingly short. It can be done in just a few hours. Imagine aThis may be the hardest ame to review. Cataclysm's gem comes for free. Get Vanilla, get to level 60 a few times, find another game. You will love every minute of it. 60-70 was like getting teeth pulled, and 70-80 dragged on towards the end. Cataclysm (strictly speaking) 80-85 content was wonderful. Wonderful, but disgustingly short. It can be done in just a few hours. Imagine a roller coaster where you get to the bottom of the first hill and- woop, ride's over. Not horrible, but not exactly what you were expecting after waiting out that long line. It's not worth the torture of 60-80 to play 80-85 content, but 1-60 was great, first second and third time. Expand

1. Apr 24, 2011
    World of Warcraft: Cataclysm brings the excitement of a new expansion to much of the game and provides some exciting and engaging high-level content. If your account has lapsed, Cataclysm makes it worth the renewal cost. The expansion content raises the bar and re-establishes Blizzard as the reigning king of traditional MMORPGs.
  2. Mar 21, 2011
    More of an evolution in terms of gaming experience, but it's the best World of Warcraft expansion so far. If you have never tried WoW or are thinking about returning in Azeroth – now is the time. [Feb 2011, p.66]
  3. Mar 4, 2011
    Blizzard has undergone an extremely ambitious effort with the Cataclysm expansion, razing the familiar to the ground and building something that proves both new and inviting. And while certain balance issues are being fixed via patches, thereʼs something good here for new players, veterans, hardcore and casual gamers alike.