5.6

1. Dec 4, 2013
    I was a closed and open beta tester for this game with 500+ games under my belt before release. Saying that, I want to make it perfectly clear that Wargaming has only itself to blame for the mess this game is compared to their flagship product. They did not listen to constructive feedback or criticisms of the game during the beta stage. Most of the matchmaking and balance issues did not get addressed at all.

Just like in beta, once you get to level 2 you are boned. While still flying biplanes you wind up getting thrown against WW2 planes that outclass you in every possible way and can almost instagib you in one burst. A few games of this in a row and it gets old fast, plus you get massively reduced experience and credits from a loss and/or from being cannon-fodder for tricked out planes 2 levels higher than you. It's worse than World of Tanks by a mile in this regard.

Even worse is the ramming. You actually get a kill for committing suicide and ramming people. That said, ramming is rampant in WoWP. It's also extremely difficult to avoid someone who is deliberately trying to ram you do to the crappy flight physics and over-sized plane models. This was a big problem in beta, an extreme source of frustration and it hasn't been fixed.

I've played the release version of this game and I've played War Thunder from Gaijin. That being said, I want to make the following points from an objective standpoint and not as a "fanboi".

Simply put, this game is inferior to War Thunder in every possible way. To start, visually, War Thunder blows this game out of the water, and it plays much smoother with much more stable frame rates. The maps in War Thunder and the plane models are gorgeous, especially if you have a powerful video card. The sound is also very well done as are the controls.

The controls in Arcade mode in War Thunder are more responsive than in WoWP and the flight physics are superior. Furballs are much more hectic (and fun) and you can pull off some extremely impressive moves with your plane if you are a good pilot.

Instead of using a "hit point system" like World of Warplanes, you have much more realistic damage models. It's possible with a lucky shot to hit the enemy pilot and knock them out. You can still fly a severely damaged plane, and the plane handles as you would expect if you had one wing shot to pieces and a damaged engine.

There are many more planes, and, unlike World of Warplanes, most of them actually saw combat. They weren't just prototypes or blueprints. More importantly, they are actually rendered much more "in scale" in War Thunder than they are in WoWP.

If you are in a low level plane, you actually stand a chance against a higher level opponent. I've shot down level 5 planes with a level 1 biplane (I-153).

Also, the variety of game modes in War Thunder is better. There is much more variety in the maps. It is also nice to be able to play more than one plane in a single match.

I still like and platy World of Tanks, but Wargaming came late and a dollar short to the aerial wargaming scene. War Thunder is a more refined and superior product. Maybe WoWP will improve in time but, at the moment, they are definitely out of their league compared to what Gaijin managed with War Thunder.
  2. Nov 22, 2013
    Terrible game and quite frankly an insult to historical military aviation.

The subpar game engine is just not suitable for flight games, which usually takes place on really big maps. However in WoWP you get unrealistic sense of speed (everything is way too slow), tiny maps, compressed service ceiling.

The flight physics are just abysmal. Drag, gravity, momentum? Warplanes never
    heard of that. The physics are as unrealistic as it can get, even Arcade games like Crimson Skies (2000!) or Blazing Angels have far more believable flight physics at least for Arcade standards.

Flying an aircraft in WoWP feels like forcing a brick through thick jelly. While the bad flight physics are one reason for this, the game engine has also significant input lag due to serverside controls. You're basically pressing a button, the command gets send to the server, gets send back and only then your aircraft starts to move. While this is only a matter of milliseconds, the delay is always noticable and makes quick reactions impossible. Also no support for TrackIR.

In terms of graphical fidelity this game is average at best. But, just like WoT, the engine isn't able to give you a stable amount of FPS. Once you're engaged in a huge dogfight, the framerate is going all over the place. This again is due to the lack of real multicore support of the game engine itself. Quite frankly this is inacceptable for the year of 2013.

The sound effects are hideous aswell. Nothing in this game sounds even remotely like its real life counterpart. Aircraft engines sound like lawnmowers, machineguns and cannons seem to resemble BB guns.

Remember when I said that this game is an insult for historical military aviation? The selection of aircraft is te biggest reason for this. Half of the techtrees are blueprints and prototypes, which never saw combat in WWII. This is just terrible for a game that claims to be "dedicated to World War II military aircraft". Famous planes like the Fw 190, Hawker Hurricane or P-47 Thunderbolt are still missing.

Gameplay wise WoWP also has almost nothing to offer. Only one gamemode which evolves into a huge furball sooner or later. There is not much room to maneuver due to the incredibly small maps. The hitpoint system is just stupid and makes no sense whatsoever in aerial combat, since more often than not victory is determined by bigger healthbars and bigger damage output and not by your individual flying skills.

A 4 out of 10. There is room for certain improvements but quite frankly this game already took a wrong direction from the very beginning. Fans of historical military aviation should avoid this game at its current state.
  3. Nov 13, 2013
    War Thunder is a much better aerial combat experience. WoWP has too many small problems that add up to a frustrating experience compared to WT. Maybe WoWP will get better once naval and tank combat are added, but as for now I wouldn't recommend it.
  4. Nov 24, 2013
    Do not waste time with this game. Between the admin's power-hungry actions, the developer's lack of assistance, glaring latency and framerate issues, obvious bugs, twisted balancing problems and pay to win model, you will only find yourself on a path of frustration and annoyance.

I have a top of the line machine, yet I cannot run this game on even the BASIC graphics settings without
    MASSIVE framerate issues. Latency on both servers constantly fluctuates and that is IF you can even connect and STAY connected. I constantly have problems with the in-game planes as well, being right up against enemies and STILL missing (server problems)

Include the fact that the developers ONLY show up to punish people badmouthing the game and it's creators and NOT to assist ANYONE well, it just goes downhill from there. The concept is amazing and well executed but the rest of the problems this game faces makes it not even worth playing.
  5. Dec 20, 2013
    its not a flight game, but an action where "unit" models are just similar to planes visually. The engine is terrible for flight games (its meant for elf-styled RPG)
    Generally the game feels and plays very plastic-model style, with no flight or bullet physics whatsoever.
    I recommend you try the competitor game instead which is far better for any standards. (I think you know which game im
    speaking about) I did start with wowp but then swiched to another game and was very happy.
    By itself the game deserves a 5.. but in context of competition no more than 3
  6. Jan 2, 2014
    I was playing this game for a while but lately I have decided to delete it. it's not really do to a bad game, just bad player and plane match up. The problem with it is that most of the payers now are in group play and just gang up on everyone. it makes for very short play times and very long wait to play times.
    They should not match planes up with higher tier planes as you do not have a
    ghosts chance in hell of even getting one kill this way and should make grouped players only play against other groups. this way they would still have to fly the plane instead of just ganking for kills.
    Don't fly American planes as they seem to think they could only fire about 100 rounds without the guns overheating and misfiring.
    Maybe if they rethink the way they match planes up and the way they fire I will give this game another go but not until then.
    Oh yea and if you want to play this game be prepared to spend money on it as it is a pay to win game not really FTP.
    Have fun and I will just go back to my flight sims for good air play instead of wasting time on this.
  7. Nov 23, 2013
    This is from the developers that took EAs lesson to heart that people will pay to win in video games they did however refine the art of milking pockets but as EA also learned close to all semi intelligent people and above will think you creeps for exploiting weak minds but these brutal goons just don't care they have found their niche.

They pay internet hipsters to play their game so it
    will seem legit if they could get real celebrities I'm sure they would just like they pay "gamers" to play in their fake competitions the whole premise of their game design is that the more you pay the more ahead you get so giving a couple of kids the key to the treasure chest that holds all the cheats is obviously fake.

You would think that games like these would go away simply because they are so appalling bad but they don't which in turn just tells us about a certain segment of people and their poor attitudes most recently and clearly displayed by Microsoft as they picked up these clowns for Xbox but then it has always been a trickster box so all should feel right at home.
  8. May 3, 2014
    Warthunder is the king of World War 2 aerial combat, And will continue to hold that position. World of Warplanes is inferior in almost every conceivable way. It has inferior graphics, and the game engine is not suitable for flying games, which World of Warplanes is being run off of. There is more fun to be had in Warthunder.
  9. Dec 14, 2013
    Lack of physics, flutter, damage models of individual parts, these planes defective. They are not a bit realistic and not interested in what it takes. Compared with the War Thunder is nothing.
  10. Dec 20, 2013
    Game about planes where you can decrease speed of plane while plane is falling, WAT???
    Also all the same minuses of World of Tanks. You should spend a lot of time to gain good crew, and planes have health. You can be good as god, your plane can be very nice, but still planes with level more than yours will have more HP, and in duel you will be killed and opponent will survive, HP.
    Repairing engine in the air is so fun also. Expand
  11. Dec 20, 2013
    Like world of tanks in has awful graphics and zero physics and demand high-end computer to run on normal fps. Also the game has nothing common with aviation planes seem to move in some water rather then fly in the air.
  12. Dec 20, 2013
    This game is truthfully called "world of flying tanks". This game is awful in every aspect: bad & old unoptimized game engine, terrible graphics, bad flight model, bad damage model, etc. Another product of greedy Wargaming company. You can play this if you want to spend your time in misery.
  13. Jan 8, 2014
    I am deleting this game from my hard drive because of the lack of balance. Newbies no longer serve much of a purpose save to be flying targets for those with higher level planes.
  14. Dec 20, 2013
    Airplanes fly, as flies are in and spider web. Problems with optimization. There are not all types of airplanes. A minimum of realism. Game from the creators of World of tanks. Therefore to to tanks were attach wings and sent them to earn a money. Boring
  15. Dec 20, 2013
    This project was dead right at the birth. Bad graphics, bad gameplay, bad sound. This game is not about the planes. This game is about flying tanks. Fail of the year.
  16. Dec 24, 2013
    How can you play this Comparing to War Thunder this game is awful! The gameplay is the same as some android low-level games. The best part in the game are trailers.
  17. Jun 4, 2014
    First check War Thunder then tell me what YOU think bout WoWP.........................................................................................
  18. Jul 6, 2014
    Do NOT spend money on this game. I bought premium days for it just to try it out. Thank God I only paid for 3 days.
    As soon as my first day of premium was finished I would get disconnected from every single match. The problem magically disappeared as soon as my final premium day was over. As in the very first match that I was no longer in premium the problem was gone. I did nothing what
    so ever to fix it, it just went away as soon as my premium was up.
    They utterly refused to give any refund or to add 2 days of premium to the account. They say that that is their policy and that the problem was on my end.
    Is it possible that the problem was on my end? Sure. But it was odd that the problem went away directly after the premium days were used up.
    I am not telling you how to spend your hard earned cash. If you want to spend it on this company then by all means do so, but I will never again spend a single penny with this company again in any way shape or form.
    Besides that War Thunder is a much more realistic game (and better in my opinion, even with the crappy name)
  19. Oct 2, 2014
    Empty servers, no gameplay, random fightmodel, flighmodel changing, depending on desired battle result for balancing bot (it forces wl to 49%).

Will not live up to winter.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    World of Warplanes will continue to evolve, now let’s await the third and final game of the World trilogy, Battleships.
  2. Feb 16, 2014
    World of Warplanes is a fun, arcady game with quick and exciting battles. It should have a bit better presentation and immersion even though the game isn't about that. Its easy action, and hopefully a small taste of something that the developers will add with more functions.
  3. Feb 13, 2014