Worms Reloaded PC

6.8

1. Jun 26, 2012
    I was a huge fan of Worms from back almost 10 years ago, this game brought back many good memories. I bought the complete Reloaded + DLC for cheap on sale through Steam, I think it was worth the money just to have even as a collectors game (even if it is digital licensing). The AI can be quite dumb sometimes, often taking themselves or a teammate out, but then again I've done that quiteI was a huge fan of Worms from back almost 10 years ago, this game brought back many good memories. I bought the complete Reloaded + DLC for cheap on sale through Steam, I think it was worth the money just to have even as a collectors game (even if it is digital licensing). The AI can be quite dumb sometimes, often taking themselves or a teammate out, but then again I've done that quite some times too. It's good to know they are prone to errors, and you're not up against a series of perfect shots to avoid defeat. However, beware of any form of grenade or denonating device, they NEVER miss!! Expand
  2. Aug 26, 2010
    This game is not finished. As much as i love worms this was a letdown, I would recommend to hold on to your money, wait until features like U.I., online lag, voice chat, text chat, speed of rounds and so on have been fixed.

Team 17, fix this game, you know you can, and it would be the best if we got a game we could wholeheartedly recommend to our many friends, don't hesitate.
  3. Aug 26, 2010
    I really looked forward to play the new Worms, as the trailers were amazing and I expected a fresh, nice looking, improved Worms Armageddon with an overworked multiplayer experience. So, I pre-purchased the game on Steam, waited for the release timer to hit zero and then immediately downloaded. And what I got was... a game, which does not look finished yet, and is not what I expected. LetI really looked forward to play the new Worms, as the trailers were amazing and I expected a fresh, nice looking, improved Worms Armageddon with an overworked multiplayer experience. So, I pre-purchased the game on Steam, waited for the release timer to hit zero and then immediately downloaded. And what I got was... a game, which does not look finished yet, and is not what I expected. Let me explain.

At first, the menu. I am not a fan of the new style (which was introduced with Worms 3D), but that is not, what really annoys me with the main menu. It is just every menu point listed under the other, without any pictures or structure - really annoying. I miss the old Worms Armageddon navigation, it was awesome. The next is the tutorial, which is nothing to say about, but it let me get to know the new gameplay and the new ingame look. In both issues, old things were changed senseless and I get the feeling that Team17 does not know what was nice and fun at Worms Armageddon and randomly changed things or built a whole new game, which differs MUCH from the old Worms. The look does not appear fresh and "HD" to me - it looks like an unfinished beta of what Worms Reloaded could have become. The good old comic look was changed to a new style with comic worms mixed with realistic-like fire and annoying 3D backgrounds. The life counter look terrible, the projectiles are much too small, but the confusing explosions are most terrible. Every explosion shakes the screen and has a HUGE animation, although the real impact (damage and terrain destruction) is just the burst of a little mine. The inventory is now full screen and not any longer reachable with the F-keys - another random change with a lame result. The only good addition that kept in my mind is the new zoom function, which is really helpful.

Maybe I could become accustomed with the new look, but the gameplay messes everything up. The whole physics engine has been written new and nothing behaves as you know it. The aiming sucks, the bazooka not only looks awful but also is not any longer comparable to the old bazooka from Worms Armageddon. The ninja rope sucks big times, as it feels more like the bungee rope, the balancing from all weapons is totally new, you cannot examine the amount of damage the new weapons deal due to the fact that EVERY explosion looks like the holy grenade. The AI of the bots is not balanced too, in one move the computer fires the bazooka right into his teammates, in the next he makes unbelievable aimshots over the whole map and destroys your whole team with it. This is not what was promised on the store page.

The singleplayer missions are really lame and dissapointing, nearly the same every mission. The other singleplayer challenges are bad structured and not very funny - they were much better in Worms Armageddon, with medals and records, but here everything you get is a lame point score. The good thing is, you can compare this blank score to results of other Worms players all over the world in a new ranking.

I could go on and criticise a lot more details in this game (e.g. sound), but I think you see were this is going. I am a huge fan of the old-fashioned Worms, but this new Worms is not what i expected. Everyone who has spent hours with hot-seat games (I think Worms is maybe the best hot-seat game ever) on your couch with friends in Worms Armageddon should stay with this and not buy Worms Reloaded. In Worms Armageddon everything feels better, looks better and is solved better than in this remake (except the improved internet mode). Maybe I should not have expected a overworked and improved Worms Armageddon suited for online play. Maybe my fault. For all who are new to Worms, save the money and play Worms Armageddon, although i am not saying that you could have fun with this new worms.
  4. Aug 30, 2010
    Feels like a huge step backwards. The only major gameplay effecting problem is that match creation is overly simplified. For example, you can no longer tweak weapon damage/blast radii, you can't create games where worms are locked in place, and team sizes are locked at 4. The other issues are all UI, I have a suspicion it was meant for the Ipad version, and for the most part doesn't giveFeels like a huge step backwards. The only major gameplay effecting problem is that match creation is overly simplified. For example, you can no longer tweak weapon damage/blast radii, you can't create games where worms are locked in place, and team sizes are locked at 4. The other issues are all UI, I have a suspicion it was meant for the Ipad version, and for the most part doesn't give enough useful info. The game was built for a touch screen and is really only capable of doing one thing at a time, getting all the information you need at once is downright impossible. Another problem is that these worms have worst animations and the least charm I've seen in a recent offering. Also, only the classic voice packs are any good, The all new ones kind of suck. It's still a worms game though, and this new offering seems to be pretty upgradeable, so it's up to Team 17 to offer some post-release support. Expand
  5. Aug 31, 2010
    I have only heard good things about the Worms series, so as you can imagine, I was pretty excited to play this one. SO I got it the first day it came out on Steam, and at first had an audio problem. After seeing if others had this problem, I found out that I simply needed to update DirectX. So I start playing the game, having fun, playing the campaign and all. Now either I am the worstI have only heard good things about the Worms series, so as you can imagine, I was pretty excited to play this one. SO I got it the first day it came out on Steam, and at first had an audio problem. After seeing if others had this problem, I found out that I simply needed to update DirectX. So I start playing the game, having fun, playing the campaign and all. Now either I am the worst Worms player ever, or they made that campaign damn hard. The enemies just never miss, unless the shot is physically impossible. Now I can understand a hard game, the reason I gave it a 7/10 is the controls. I don't know if its just me but they feel just terrible to me. I switched them up a bit to make them better, but I have no idea why I wouldn't be allowed to use the mouse to aim. The jet pack has some pretty weird controls too, You use jump to drop a weapon, just the whole thing feels awkward. And don't even get me started on the ninja rope. I can't beat campaign because they force you to use the thing to beat missions, but I just can't do it. I don't know if there is some secret tutorial in the game that tells you how you ACTUALLY use the thing or what. Speaking of them, the tutorials provide you with little help, they could have added more, but I guess not. In the end I'd say it was a fun but difficult game, but with awkward controlling. I'm sure multilayer is player is quite fun, and that kept it from being a 6/10. I haven't played any of the precious installments of the game, so I didn't have as big of a letdown as others, but if I get even more specific, I'd give it a 66/100. Fun game, but from what I understand, previous games in the series are better. Expand
  6. Oct 2, 2010
    I loved Worms: Armageddon, so you can imagine my surprise when Reloaded hit Steam. All the joys of Armageddon with updated graphics and new weapons? Sign me up, I said! Unfortunately, this game isn't all it's cracked up to be, and is best described as "one step forward, one step backwards".

Now, I'm no game designer, but IMHO, a sequel should at least try to include what was in the original before adding new content. Sure, now your worms can wear hats, and there are new gravestones and the like, but half the weapons and options from Armageddon are gone! I guess you could argue that many of them were redundant and very situational, but hey, I miss the variety that most new games seem to lack.

My biggest complaint, though, is the campaign. It's rare that a game can actually showcase the developer's disinterest in it, but Reloaded manages to pull it off. There are a few "themes" you hop between, and the only story you get is "Welp, here's X theme, kill all the worms, or whatever". Then you get to complete "puzzles" that require all of three brain cells to figure out. They included some of the classic campaign missions too. You know, the ones that actually required strategy and skill to beat? Yeah, they're back, if not as a reminder that there was a time when video games were actually challenging, which brings me to my next point:

The AI is, as a famous game reviewer once said, pants-on-head retarded. Occasionally, it'll manage to pull off some crazy ninja skillz and bean you from across the map with a well-timed grenade, but most of the time you can only sit there and feel bad for it as it shoots a bazooka into a wall at point-blank range. Don't be fooled by the blurb on Steam, the AI only has one setting: imbecile.

Other than that the game is fairly decent and plays well. I hope Team 17 continues to update and support Reloaded, because I think it has the potential to be a faithful continuation of the old Worms games.
  7. Mar 3, 2012
    You could almost mistake Worms Reloaded for one its 20th century ancestors, if it weren't for the myriad of bugs... Creating a multiplayer game is especially difficult.
  8. Nov 8, 2011
    The classic Worms returns with a good polished style game. You can play on random level and you can generate infinite diferent levels to play alone. If you want, edit your personal level and send to a friend. There are a total of 60 Steam achevements (with all DLC). The sound is just correct. The poor thins is the chat on-line... but for the rest i think this game is infinte !! [8/10]
  9. Jan 18, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A mere console port, nothing more nothing less. Options that were once taken for granted are missing.
    menu is wrecked up, creating custom schemes is a pain in the ass and you cant adjust a lot of things in custom schemes. If you just want to shoot at each other its okay.
    I installed it, noticed how much I missed real worms, then i installed Worms Armageddon again and now im playing Worms Armageddon more often than Reloaded. If this game was a full prize my rating for this game would have been far worse .
  10. Jul 11, 2011
    Funny and all to hear the Worms screaming. Physics engine is ok. But it's definitely a game where it's better to play against other people. The AI is either really broken or really stupid.
  11. Mar 28, 2013
    I love Worms, but this game doesn't have the magic touch that Worms Armageddon or Worms World Party have. Sure, you get a lot of new weapons and gadgets, which I'll admit are so awesome that I wish some would be put in the older games, but that doesn't fully make up for the game itself. The atmosphere of the older games doesn't exist here, and a lot of the older games' best mechanics areI love Worms, but this game doesn't have the magic touch that Worms Armageddon or Worms World Party have. Sure, you get a lot of new weapons and gadgets, which I'll admit are so awesome that I wish some would be put in the older games, but that doesn't fully make up for the game itself. The atmosphere of the older games doesn't exist here, and a lot of the older games' best mechanics are either watered down or removed completely in Reloaded. Hence why people still play Worms Armageddon, while this game faded away not long after release. With the original creator Andy Davidson returning to Team 17, a better worms game may come along. Expand
  12. AWG
    Jul 20, 2013
    Reloaded is maybe the best installment in the Worms series (after Armageddon, of course). Smooth gameplay, nice graphics and a classic formula you can rely on.
  13. Nov 2, 2013
    Worms Reloaded is a pretty solid game with some subtle improvements, but don't expect a drastically different experience to earlier 2D Worms games. Some new weapons (like termites and magnets) are cool, there are some minor graphical overhauls, and the game has a little more personality (such as worms screaming when dynamite is placed next to them). Modes such as quick game, training andWorms Reloaded is a pretty solid game with some subtle improvements, but don't expect a drastically different experience to earlier 2D Worms games. Some new weapons (like termites and magnets) are cool, there are some minor graphical overhauls, and the game has a little more personality (such as worms screaming when dynamite is placed next to them). Modes such as quick game, training and campaign still exist. One new interesting mode is Body Count where you try to get as many points as possible by killing enemy worms that constantly respawn. And of course, there is still multiplayer, where you can play other people across the world. The game however does have some drawbacks. For starters, the AI seems to be very inconsistent. Sometimes they are downright stupid and will miss an easy shot or shoot themselves with a bazooka by aiming down, and at other times they are able to throw a grenade across the whole map and have it hit you perfectly, resulting in the full 45 damage. In addition, the campaign for me, was disappointing. Many of the missions are a typical death-match style game where you simply kill the enemy worms like you normally would in other game modes. There are some puzzle-like missions, but not enough: I expected more cool puzzle-style missions like those from Worms World Party- for example, shooting mines out of a boat, or something new and innovative, rather than the generic kill all enemy worms with normal weapons. If you haven’t played worms before, this is a good place to start. If you're a worms veteran, the game offers more of the same, but the new layer on top may bring a strong level of refreshment to your worms experience. Expand
  14. Mar 15, 2015
    It's not bad, but it's not as good as Worms Armageddon. The game just lacks variety and many great animations and levels. Overall, this one-joke classic is slightly shifting through a laugh-free zone.

1. Playing Worms Reloaded made me feel like I just opened a time capsule from 10 years ago. It shows that even such a simple game of worm warfare, can stand the test of time, and still be as entertaining as it once was.
  2. AceGamez
    In conclusion, Worms Reloaded is simply the tried-and-tested Worms formula jazzed up a bit with nicer graphics and a few additions.
  3. At $19.99, Worms Reloaded is a solid entertainment value-especially for those of us who love the smell of banana bomb in the morning.