6.4

1. Nov 17, 2013
    Codemaster has set the bar standard of Rally game quite high with their Colin McRae Rally and DiRT series, and Milestone always fell a little bit behind with their approaches to Rally games. However, from WRC in 2010 to WRC 4, I can see little progresses being made each time new game is released.

WRC 4 is not that different from WRC 3 in gameplay aspect, aside from more sensitive arcady handling. Although this may disappoint some hard-core rally gamers, it is welcoming to see that Milestone's WRC game is trying to appeal to more broader audiences rather than constricting their games only for die-hard rally fans. If you are one of sim-racer and is disappointed with how car handles, you are welcome to stick to your glorious Richard Burns Rally. Aside from handling of the car, the engine sound of car has changed. Now, driving car actually sounds like 4WD metal beast pumped with turbo, rather than generic racing car with turbo whispering here and there.

Although game features three periods of time (noon, dawn, and dusk) it quite perplexing why they haven't added option to adjust weather. Although weather is featured in this game, it seems like weather only changes in certain stages. However, it is good to see that little progress is being made over time.

Well, biggest problem with this game is that it doesn't changed whole lot from WRC 3 other than the elements I have just pointed out above. Rally tracks in this game didn't changed a lot from rally tracks of WRC 3; this almost feels criminal. Expect to see a lot of familiar landmarks during rally if you played WRC 3 before. Although funky extreme sport-esque vibe has been removed, it came with cost of complete banishment of "Road to WRC" career mode and goofy mini-games such as outrunning helicopters and smashing blocks. Although I never really cared much about those mini games before, but to see it completely removed, it feels, well, empty. Also, it should be noted that classic WRC cars are also completely removed.

Well, Milestone is adding little bit of changes over time, but it seems almost too little changes are being added into this game each time, and WRC series still has long way to go to match Codemaster's racing game. However, it is good to see at least improvement is being made each time. I hope Milestone adds more changes next time. One can only hope.
  2. Oct 28, 2013
    It's the best a rally fan can currently get. DiRT doesn't satisfy the traditional rally need, and this does... but it's far from perfect. If you played WRC 3, only 5 countries got new maps this year and 8 maps are identical to last year. Wheel support is improved... however 900 degrees is a joke (causes huge deadzone), pedals are required to be in combined mode (or causes a hugeIt's the best a rally fan can currently get. DiRT doesn't satisfy the traditional rally need, and this does... but it's far from perfect. If you played WRC 3, only 5 countries got new maps this year and 8 maps are identical to last year. Wheel support is improved... however 900 degrees is a joke (causes huge deadzone), pedals are required to be in combined mode (or causes a huge deadzone), and force feedback is just variable center spring strength (no rumble, vibrate, etc). Even if you turn off all assist options, there's some form of traction control that is always on (hard to spin tires). It's no Richard Burns Rally replacement... but if you don't mind the arcade physics, it can be an enjoyable game. But there's still plenty of room for Milestone to improve, unless they lose the WRC licence... we can only hope. Expand
  3. Nov 18, 2013
    Another lacklustre entry by Milestone. Far too similar contentwise to the last game to warrant a yearly purchase. The series would be better spending more time between releases, with more time spent adding to and refining what is already available, as opposed to regurgitating the same content.
  4. Feb 13, 2014
    I like the game just fine but i bought it through steam and i cant get online :( I know your thinking contact steam support .............. If you can get ahold of steam support I will like your dogs nuts for him. THERE IS NO SUPPORT AT STEAM SUPPORT !!!!! Steam is a scam ! when you spend your money with steam you are on your own.
  5. Apr 12, 2014
    This is a big step up for WRC. Graphically it's finally at a standard where you can just play without noticing bad textures etc. There's a lot of screen tearing on the PC (using an Nvidia card) but was able to sort it out by disabling vsync and locking my refresh rate with MSI on screen display server. A generous 7 because it's a bit empty but the gameplay is solid, the rally experienceThis is a big step up for WRC. Graphically it's finally at a standard where you can just play without noticing bad textures etc. There's a lot of screen tearing on the PC (using an Nvidia card) but was able to sort it out by disabling vsync and locking my refresh rate with MSI on screen display server. A generous 7 because it's a bit empty but the gameplay is solid, the rally experience it provides is enjoyable and it's mature enough to avoid irritating menus and patronising voice overs. Hope the series continues to progress. Expand
  6. Dec 23, 2013
    The game is more like a real WRC simulation. Talking about the gameplay, the campaign is now more like a true WRC which requires you to complete all stages in several places. I like how I have to repair my car if I damage my car every 2 stages because it's more realistic, and using a single car to complete the whole season is also realistic. The handling is a lot better when compared toThe game is more like a real WRC simulation. Talking about the gameplay, the campaign is now more like a true WRC which requires you to complete all stages in several places. I like how I have to repair my car if I damage my car every 2 stages because it's more realistic, and using a single car to complete the whole season is also realistic. The handling is a lot better when compared to WRC1/2. Also there're more weather options.
    However, there's a main problem in the game is that I cannot try other cars during a season. That's a big big minus to me. Also, I actually feel a bit boring when I try to complete the whole WRC. It's pretty time consuming and therefore this game is not my pick.
  7. Dec 29, 2013
    This game feels kinda like a rip-of after a few hours of play. Why? Well the driving is kinda of OK, there´s some driving aids in there that can be turned on and off and really have a big impact betwen a more arcade or simulation gameplay experience, and the graphics are not bad. BUT other than that, the rest of the game is a cheap experience. The sound effects are bad, the career mode isThis game feels kinda like a rip-of after a few hours of play. Why? Well the driving is kinda of OK, there´s some driving aids in there that can be turned on and off and really have a big impact betwen a more arcade or simulation gameplay experience, and the graphics are not bad. BUT other than that, the rest of the game is a cheap experience. The sound effects are bad, the career mode is dull and boring, but the worst thing is, its suposed to be 13 Rally comptetions with 6 stages/courses each, wich should be 78 stages/courses total right? WRONG, in reallity its just like 20 or so original courses, the rest they just use the same stages on reverse or with some minor side road diference, even thou they use diferent names and try to pretend its an entirelly diferent new course. I mean how cheap is that??!!
    SO i think this game is only worth buying on some 10$ sale. More than that is just a rip off.

1. Mar 11, 2014
    WRC 4 is at times and enjoyable view into World Rally Championship, but it again fails to live up to its hype. And what's the deal with Neste Oil Rally? I barely recognized it as Finland. [Dec 2013]
  2. Jan 10, 2014
    The driving model is better than in the previous WRC game and is surprisingly solid. Despite that it’s hard not to notice that the developer’s budget was very limited. [01/2014, p.72]
  3. Nov 14, 2013
    WRC 4 didn't manage to take up its highly accelerated forerunner. Instead of putting its foot down to get some more juice, it just recycles its content along with the bugs from the last year. Something is rotten in the state of the rallye genre, when there is just one studio along with one game ruling it.