X2: The Threat PC

7.2

1. PeterB.
    Jul 31, 2007
    Here we have a game with an interesting story line, pretty graphics and the most abysmal control scheme since Dr. Derek Smart pinched out the last Battleship game. There is absolutely nothing in this game worth the time it takes to learn how to play it. Avoid at all costs.
  2. SteveS.
    Jul 22, 2006
    How can any space-sim game be better than freespace. The story-line and everything that went into that game in my mindmakes it the greatest space-sim ever. How can any game top freespace?
  3. JamesD
    May 9, 2008
    I bought this game to get some use out of my damn joystick. Lets get a few things straight with the people who made this. 1. Having a custom system of time measurement does not add texture, or make it cute, its boundlessly annoying, especially when all measurements of time end in "azura" and theres like eight of them. 2. Unlike shooters, there are more than three things you can do in this I bought this game to get some use out of my damn joystick. Lets get a few things straight with the people who made this. 1. Having a custom system of time measurement does not add texture, or make it cute, its boundlessly annoying, especially when all measurements of time end in "azura" and theres like eight of them. 2. Unlike shooters, there are more than three things you can do in this game, so the uninformative tutorials (which aren't even incorporated into the main campaign by the way) don't help in the slightest. 3. The targeting system is the least intuitive i have encountered, EVER 4. When mission 1 is "fly for a really long time and then fly back for a really long time with a possibility of getting killed along the way back", have an AUTOSAVE before said possibility of getting killed, so you don't have to fly for a REALLY LONG TIME once more. 5. I don't have anything else to whine about, but i'm certain this is because i couldn't play any more of it without my colon leaping out my mouth and gouging my eyes out, rather than any lack of complaints. In summary, i feel dirty having played this game. If you want to support independent game studios, a quick google will give you a million better games than this one. Expand
  4. JorL
    Jan 18, 2010
    You have to spend quite some time to get past over the learning curve and a lot more to get to the point where the game really becomes interesting. Just then, your lasts hopes for the game will be crushed by the frequent crashes and the sense of wasted time.
  5. EricB
    Mar 26, 2008
    Hopeless waste of time. Controls are jerky, awkward and non-definable (so you'd better like "up is down" otherwise you're stuffed if you want inverted controls). Didn't give it long enough to assess the gameplay as I didn't get that far. Sat for 10 minutes in the tutorial which, I assumed, would teach you something about the game controls/interface/gameplay before Hopeless waste of time. Controls are jerky, awkward and non-definable (so you'd better like "up is down" otherwise you're stuffed if you want inverted controls). Didn't give it long enough to assess the gameplay as I didn't get that far. Sat for 10 minutes in the tutorial which, I assumed, would teach you something about the game controls/interface/gameplay before realising that it wasn't actually a tutorial that taught you anything - you apparently have to teach yourself that too, as no helpful messages appear at any point. Even after you manage to get your ship moving and get bored enough to blast away at a space station, there's nothing to tell you whether what you did was right or not, just some 'fed style ships blowing you away to tell you it wasn't. Not so much a tutorial as a waste of time to download it. Bought this as a download bundle with X3, which I'm cancelling. Even though it's a few more pennies lost, I'd rather save the bandwidth. Expand

1. X2 does offer some highly satisfying gameplay--if you're willing to stick with it. It's not a game that has any reasonable prospect of revitalizing the space sim genre, since it's from a small developer and isn't particularly accessible, but it's a game that highlights why the genre was once much more popular.
  2. If you are looking for a cross between a 3D spreadsheet and "Battlestar Galactica," with a side of patience and a twist of plot, then X2 lands right in your space station.
  3. Lots of different stars, ships, and aliens may be nice, but there is no excuse for unwieldy controls, a horribly high learning curve and pacing that takes a good dozen hours before things get interesting.