• Publisher: Egosoft
  • Release Date: Dec 15, 2011
8.2

1. Dec 23, 2011
    Italian review from this URL: http://www.spaziogames.it/recensioni_videogiochi/console_pc/12561/x3-albion-prelude.aspx Overall result 9/10! Translated excerpt from this review: Positive: - Vast universe - High performance PC - Maximum freedom of movement - Longevity guaranteed for dozens and dozens of hours Plot-engaging - Excellent special effects Negative: - Not too many new ships - Lack of spoken Italian
    - Title particularly complicated to the uninitiated like this

Rating: 9/10

Final Remarks
    Neil Armstrong said that watching the Earth from space he could cover it with his thumb, but he did not feel like a giant, he felt very small. This is a bit like what happens when you sit in front of the majesty of this title. The graphic details are exaggerated, as well as items with which you can interact within the game.

The gameplay, overall is unique, well-designed, and leaves ample space for making of the pilot to be part of a world that really changes over the course of the game.

The music makes the experience very intriguing and interesting and curious to see up close the orbiting station, the postal and cargo shuttles or taxis will make you lose a lot of time distracting (at least) on the missions that you complete .

The difficulty of the plot remains the only negative point: you accept missions from the beginning of the adventure described as "very difficult" without any chance of completing it. Missing, in a sense, an adaptation of the game to the player's real ability. Too bad that the voices are in English already so really seems to be on board a space shuttle, but to be called captain in Italian by a marshal of corvettes would have a completely different flavor.
  2. Jan 2, 2012
    X3: Albion Prelude took me by surprise. This large universe were you decide where you will go, what missions you will accept and where you will go is at first glance complicated and immersive. As you learn too play you find the game is well designed and has a storyline that changes depending on your actions. The design has made the universe dynamic and is designed for many hours of game play. The NPC interaction, sound effects ad music all mesh well together too set the atmosphere. This game has a lot of detail and is not just combat but economics as well. Just jump in and play .. It is fun and easier than it looksl give yoursel time to the game interface. My firsttime Ilan to jut see what it looked like .. 9 hours later I logged off. Expand
  3. Mar 8, 2012
    The war is here ! And many of my merchant ships know it; bless the lost souls. This is a great addition to the X3 franchise and has kept me entertained for many, Many longs ours. Huge universe, ships and somewhat large learning curve. but once you begin to stick with it, The forums are full of great guides to help the new, this is a must of space sims. Looking forward to its new installment.
  4. Jul 8, 2012
    On my personal scale, I give this game a 7.5. Be warned: this game is not for everyone. If you're all about quick pacing & instant gratification, you won't find what you want with this game. It can be a high-speed space combat game, with tons of explosions, and great particle effects for the laser weapons. However, that's only one aspect of the game. There is a deeper current of a universal economy that's been deliberately thrown out of sync to give you the chance to move in & make your mark as a trader, factory owner, or in some other capacity. You won't find everything you need to build your empire - it's a long process of setting yourself up with your own support network, your own fleet, and your own territory.

I've played all the X games, as I bought the super pack on Steam. Terran Conflict is actually a much bigger game, in terms of having more "out of the box" plots. In truth, Albion Prelude is literally an add-on to that game, using TC's same file structure. It has it's own plot lines, but there are less of them & they appear to be shorter. Furthermore, you really have to play TC to know what's going on & appreciate the story.

I feel that this is the reason why so many are unhappy with this game - because it is actually an expansion to TC that's not really an expansion. Rather than being able to build on the game you created in TC, which probably took you anywhere from fifty to a billion hours to create, you must scrap that & start all over again. To someone who doesn't thrive on this type of challenge, that can be heartbreaking, and deal-breaking.

There are new ships, new features, and the same old ability to pretty much create your own story in a sandbox of endless possibilities. But really...the reason to play this game is to find out what happened after Terran Conflict, and what will come in the future during Rebirth.

As I said at the beginning, I feel this is 75% of a perfect game. Overall the game engine has improved over Terran Conflict (which is expected given the gap in time). However, it's not 100% compatible with TC because not all the mods & player content can be used. It doesn't give you the option of utilizing your saves from TC to allow you to build on what you've already done. You get precious little in the way of new content, and are left to simply re-live the sandbox adventure you've already experienced.
  5. Jan 3, 2012
    The promise of an open universe is what most drew me in to start, being held by the hand and led down an unchangeable path is not my idea of fun. So the promise of an open universe was very appealing, I wasn't disappointed! I enjoyed the mix of combat and trading, swapping from one to the other as the mood took me, engaging in reckless combat if I needed to burn off some steam or just chilling while doing a spot of trading. The trading was normally necessary to get some money to fix my ship after the reckless combat!

The graphics were breathtaking but just a bit to much for my average PC, I would love to see them on a top end machine, mind you I spent enough time ogling the pretties as it was so maybe I'm better off.

Taking some of the missions early in the game can be a mistake if you don't take notice of exactly what you have to do, because you just might find you have no hope of completing them. A bit of player discretion is required which I sadly lacked at the time.

Overall I found it an enjoyable game that you can easily find yourself loosing track of time while playing. The learning curve is a bit steep but well worth the effort.
  6. Feb 10, 2012
    Simple. X3 is a game with all the downsides of a sandbox mmo only doesnt have the benefits. I can go on and on about which parts of the game are pathetic only that would just feed the fanboy trolls of this game. The fact that people "play" this game while setting the game and SETA and then keep the pc running for the night to get credits says enough. Its a boring grinding game with no end game goal to set for. Expand
  7. Jan 24, 2012
    Changes made in X3 Albion Prelude (AP) are pretty much all changes that should have been made in Terran Conflict (TC). If you take it at face value, as a open end sandbox space combat/trade game that is meant to introduce the events leading up to the next X game in the series (rebirth), it is what it says. A person who never played any of the other X games will be quite content with what AP offers. However, for those who played XTC, it seems that all the changes that AP brings, such as expanded menu options, performance tweaks, ship boarding modifications, and a few extra ships, are all things that TC should have had but did not. The problem is AP lacks any of the meat of TC. They both feel like two unfinished halves of a greater whole, which sadly, comes across as an attempt to squeeze a few more dollars/euro out of the system they already had, while calling it something different. Expand
  8. Feb 25, 2012
    Pro's: Beautiful graphics, complex economic and free range, seemingly dynamic campaign and very large selection of ships and stations to choose from.
    Con's: At times very boring (Just waiting for something to happen, or searching for things), random crashes (not of the game, but of your ships in the game).

Opinion: I have been a fan of the X series and own each and every one. I do plan on
    continuing to buy this game in the future, however, with the release of Albion Prelude, I feel like protesting to the company a bit. Really, aside from more ships and a larger map, nothing is very new or revolutionary. Long periods of simply using time compression so your ships can actually get to a destination, coupled with very boring space flight makes me want to cease my support for the series. I do however love their dynamic free campaign. One is a part of a very realistic economy. I'd like to feel even more connected and see the results of my increased or decreased business with a sector.

Recommendation: Fans of the series, go ahead and pick it up. You'll be getting more of what you have signed up for in the past. However, don't you think its time to expect more from Egosoft?
  9. Jul 25, 2012
    X3: Albion Prelude is awesome fun. You can build huge fleets and command epic battles! The graphics are beautifully done, and a pleasure to behold. Majestic. I love the improvements over Terran Conflict, especially the stock exchange system. Update 2.5 released 24Jul2012 added Terran plots! I really wish that planetary landing, colonization, and planet unique resource/production/weapon manufacture were inclusive to make the game even more epic, but regardless, this is an awesome space game that once learned, provides hundreds of hours of enjoyment. Expand
  10. May 9, 2012
    Fantastic game. Major improvements over Terran conflict. For anybody wanting to start the series, I'd recommend Terran Conflict though. A few of the 'features' of this game make it very unfriendly for those new to the series.
  11. Jul 15, 2013
    Keep in mind; reviews are subjective, and highly influenced by taste and expectations. This review is based on about 30 minutes of playing so maybe other, more complete reviews, will be of better use to you if you're considering purchasing this game.

I was, massively, disappointed. Probably because of wrong expectations. I read on a forum that this game was "Escape Velocity for adults".
    If you, like me, 1) love the EV series and 2) hate Eve Online, you will, like me, probably quit this game after about 10 minutes and never ever play it again. You will find it boring, travelling takes ages, the UI is confusing and combat isn't the greatest. Expand
  12. Aug 22, 2012
    This is more like it. A space opera!. Endless re playability and beautiful graphics in a massive environment. I have played most of the rest of this series and I was hoping for at least a bit more. I didnt forensically go into the differences but it is very clearly an X3 game. Nothing massively new but more of the same done well. It certainly feels a little more accessible than some of the others but that could just be my growing familiarity with the series. However, the game always feels like it lacks depth to me. A bit more human/Alien interest would really make this feel like a living breathing universe. I always felt like the game space in X3 games felt a bit dead but X3 AP does feel much more alive yet something is missing from what could be perfection. It would be awesome to visit a planet or a space station and walk through it engaging npcs etc face to face. If X3 had that it would attract a much broader audience in my opinion. That isnt taking anything away from a great open non linear game but I want to explore, see planets which feel unique or of a known type and engage with the folks on a space station for RnR. Recruiting crew etc. Adding some personalities to the NPCs etc would have dramatically. Suggestions for the Next Generation in the X series perhaps. Expand
  13. Jun 2, 2013
    At first i was overwhelmed by its insane learning curve, and frankly, if i hadnt paid money for the game, i probably wouldnt stick with it. Started out as a humble merchant, and found a guide on youtube. The first couple of missions were pretty boring, but after i finally found a cargo bay extention, it started getting real enjoyable! Ive only built one complex yet, a bakery with a meat factory, and ive got a argon nova vanguard ship fully equipped. This game is probably the best space sim ive played ever. after 22 hours i still havent ironed out all the details, but the exploration, variety and sheer depth of the game is incredible! Expand
  14. Jun 10, 2013
    X3 Albion Prelude have more than X3 Terran conflict to offer. In this expansion the interface is made clearer and more user friendly. There are a lot of bug fixes and the new politic economic changes add spice to the game.
    With 3.0 update there are a lot more of generic missions. There are corporation missions too and the plot missions are very enjoyable.
    Honestly this is what is best
    out there at this time. This game is just complete. You can do everything, manage everything. With Bonus pack addition(addons for game that have been certified by Egosoft so your game is NOT modified aka you can do achievements) gives all that you might need to make your life a bit easier.
    You want to fight? you have complete control over your ship=rolling, strafing all directions,moving in a real 3D environment. You can help the war effort too and make a difference over control of war sectors.
    Want to trade? start small and grow bigger.
    Want to exploit the market? make a trading empire and with the use of the stock market you can make money quiet easier than X3TC, which for some is a bad thing but is a relief for others.
    Want to explore? go ahead there are new sectors new mechanics

In phew words: is just an amazing game. It has a steep learning curve but is really worth it.
    See it as a book that slowly unfolds towards you. The game doesnt rush and you dont need to know everything in order to enjoy it.

Take your time and take it easy and be ready to be absorbed by this game.

Give it a shot on steam happens to be on often quite regularly with x3 terran conflict. (the x3ap is a dlc)
  15. Mar 16, 2014
    The developers seemed to want to make a cross between Elite and Eve but have unfortunately done neither. If you are new to X3 do not expect any help. I first started with a merchant ship and their was a guy that claimed to be a tutor yet he was asking me to shoot a crate even though I was a merchant and had no weapons.... yeah thanks for the help mate. I gave up on trading as everyone I spoke to wanted me to do a mission I couldn't do. Why make the first people you ask for a mission expect you to have a transport the size of Mars??
    As I had paid money for this I felt I had to persevere and started a new 'Warrior' class and by the 3rd mission I had 3 ships and still no idea how to play the game. At one point, a split second before docking with a station, I heard an explosion and found that my Advanced Discoverer that was supposed to be following me had crashed. So even the computer doesn't know what its doing.
    There seems to be a story going on in this universe but you do not feel a part of it. The game desperately needs a story arch even if you take it on or not.
    If you like games that require you to study for a week before playing then this is your thing, for those of us that wanna shoot some aliens in the face or sell some luxury goods for a 1000 credit profit this is one to avoid. This game required another year of development and design.
    Graphics are ok except for the silly looking faces that appear when communicating and they are not lip synched which just makes them look more silly. The radar map is probably one of the most pointless things in the game, it is dark with dark lines on a dark background and as there has been no explanation how it works you have no idea which way the enemy ship is anyway.... idiotic.
    Sound is close to rubbish. Turn off the music and there is silence, no engine sound, no grinding as you slam on the brakes, nothing. In space no one can hear anything apparently.
    All in all another space game that misses the mark unless you are a bean counter that doesn't mind spending hours finding out how to play.
  16. Nov 8, 2013
    X3 AP is exactly how it is promoted with emphasis on Think. In order to get maximum thrill from this excellent game, you have to think through what you want to do and plan in that direction. It will take hours to bring your plan to fruition. However, when your plan is fully realized you will have amazing fun in massive battles, economic takeovers of whole star systems etc. If there were a higher rating than 10 I would give this game that rating. The X series of games give you your money's worth of enjoyment for hours and hours and hours. However, if you are a brainless action junkie avoid this game. Expand
  17. Aug 28, 2012
    Great game which continue with the gameplay and the dinamics his predecesors are famous for. The graphics are astounding and the economy model is pretty solid and unbalanced to allow you to "fix" it and make profit.

My personal problem with this game is that I have always wondered how the x series will fare if it would be a MMO game instead of single player. Then I met EvE Online, and
    suddenly, the X series just became more of an exercise of polish than a challenge.

Although I come back from time to time to watch my empire grow and command my fleets, nothing can compare to the powerful experience of a space sandbox with other human being interaction.

Nonetheless, the graphics are astounding (since there is no lag matter to worry about) and the pace and the saving features still make me play it from time to time when I want to keep away for a bit from the well known cutthroat EvE community.
  18. Jun 28, 2013
    I do not have much background with space sims but I generally enjoy playing strategy/sim/empire management games ie the Civ series, SimCity series, X-Com, etc. I've dabbled a bit with EVE but never really got deep into it but nonetheless I figured I'd give X3:AP a go as I was looking for something new to pass the hours. At this point, I've sunk around 40ish hours into the game so I feel that I can give a fair review.

As others have noted, this game is certainly not for everyone. The learning curve is steep, there are not instant rewards and there can be quite a bit of 'slow' time as you are growing your empire. However, once you start to get the hang of things and get some cashflow going, there's really no limits to what you can do. This is definitely one of those games that you could easy get hundreds of hours of gameplay from as i mentioned before I'm about 40 deep and haven't really scratched the surface of what's possible.

Bottom Line: Those who prefer linear direction, constant action, and frequent rewards should look elsewhere. But for those sim nerds, like me, who crave deep strategy, open ended gameplay, and micromanagement, this truly is a great game!
  19. Sep 5, 2013
    If love space based games this is right up your ally. It is still one of the best looking single player space games I have in my library of games. Now the real problem is not the game. It is usually the end user. Most people cant get over the learning curve or the first few hours of gameplay Reminds me of people complaining about Fallout 3)

This game has more of a Skyrim New Vegas
    feel to it in that you pretty much start off with a small learning section before being released into the game world. And like those 2 games you start off with next to nothing. With this game it all depends on wich game start you pick. Easy mode Start of as a trader with a cargo ship. Slow start and not a whole lot of action. Or start off in debt and some factions with kill on sight orders.

If you played this for 10 minutes and quit its either because you dont like space games and got suckered into it from peer pressure or you didn't give it time to become an exciting game that I have grown to love. And I only bought the game because a co-worker bugged me to get it. I love swords, Spells and anything from that realm of fantasy. Though I do have several space games now.
  20. Sep 25, 2013
    X3AP is a very deep game to get into, and I would not recommend it for those with short attention spans or are not a very committed person. Every aspect of the game has been covered, trading in a massive economy to fighting massive captial CPU ships that threaten the very existance of life in the known universe. Only down side is, if you've run out of ideas of what to do next, you can get bored easily. That being said, I always come back to it and love it, so I can't give it any less than a 9 Expand
  21. Nov 25, 2013
    Very immersive enjoyable game. The UI can seem daunting at first but after you realize how it works, it is very useful. Keys can be binded for 1-key access to any command. The game itself is fun to play...from flying different ships, to being a pirate, or building your own trade empire....its a great game, worth the buy.
  22. Nov 17, 2013
    My history according X-games is long. Very long.
    Abilon prelude is favorite. Seeing the path Egosoft is taking i'm gladly holding on to AP until a more promessing Game is coming up. AP is the most advanced single player space sim there is.
  23. Dec 12, 2013
    This is a trading game with a Space UI.
    If you like being bored to tears with the empty landscapes and confusing interface and nothing plot or storyline you must be one boring chap and this is the perfect game for you.
    Every station you dock in has the same voiceovers,the scenery looks cut and paste fo each sector you go in,and trading,odear.
    Look I don't mind trading if they made i
    tfun but this bored me to tears and I spent hours not having a clue how to make money.Like I said it's perfect for those people who study stocks or spreadsheets.
    For the true space sim fan,you will be bored to the inch of your life.
  24. Jan 28, 2014
    I have played this game for about 2 hours and it's only getting more boring. This game isn't absolutely bad but it's just that i usually don't like games where you fly in space and stuff. Combat was boring for me and so was flying. In a way it was fun but it gets boring too quick.

1. Feb 23, 2012
    If interacting with it weren't such a pain, it would be a tremendous achievement. [Apr 2012, p.73]
  2. Jan 9, 2012
    Albion Prelude is a little step in the direction of Rebirth: not so many innovations but the same structure enriched with a sort of stock exchange.
  3. Jan 5, 2012
    X3: Albion Prelude is a big expansion in terms of story and overall richness. Despite a lack of radical changes the way trough the changes of the universe, that goes toward X: Rebirth, worth the trip.