X3: Terran Conflict PC

• Publisher: Atari
  • Release Date: Mar 31, 2009
7.9

1. Mar 26, 2011
    Alright, the learning curve in this game is vertical. If you're going to buy it, understand that. Understand that you're going to have to learn hotkeys. Understand that you're going to be looking in the manual for a good few hours to figure everything out. But understand that it's worth it. X3 TC is an absolutely fantastic, beautiful, and immersive game. The sheer size of the thingAlright, the learning curve in this game is vertical. If you're going to buy it, understand that. Understand that you're going to have to learn hotkeys. Understand that you're going to be looking in the manual for a good few hours to figure everything out. But understand that it's worth it. X3 TC is an absolutely fantastic, beautiful, and immersive game. The sheer size of the thing is something along the magnitude of 8 million cubic kilometers spread throughout several hundred sectors. There are varied races each with many unique starships. The economic and combat aspects of this game are spectacular. Trading goods and building factories is immensely satisfying. The music and art makes the entire experience that much more epic. If you're willing to spend the time getting to know her, X3 can take you for one heck of a ride. Expand
  2. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game, as a space-based sandbox, is nearly perfect. An open world from the start, with nearly every ship being pilotable, and a generally acceptable learning curve (Read: Easier than EvE Online Just run the training mission to get the basics), it's easy to pick up this game and lose hours on it just by looking around and taking a few jumpgates to see what's behind them. The universe is smooth and beautiful, the races diverse and unique, and the ships all having themes relevant to their manufacturers or places of origin.

You can literally do anything you want. Start the game, blast civilians, start life as a pirate. Or pick up some wheat from a nearby station and be a trader, taking it to a food factory. Or throttle up and start wandering aimlessly, either shooting pirates or finding hidden, claimable Easter egg ships behind asteroids. You can do all these things from the start, within the first 60 seconds of hopping into your new game. Play long enough, and you'll eventually own a fleet to let you do all these things at once.

You'll be writing your own stories in this game, and no two playthroughs will be the same.

The only flaw with this game and it is a minor one, comparatively is the official campaign. The story is loose and linear, and incredibly boring. Most bugs in the game are found in the story, with some things being untriggerable or will take several minutes to take place, or will ask absurd things of you. I found myself not understanding how certain parts of the story were related, and simply performing the tasks asked of me so I could finish it faster and get access to the truly open world without the storyline dogging me.

Also and this deserves it's own paragraph the storyline voice acting is GOD AWFUL. No offense intended to the actors, but there is literally 0 talent in your voice acting. In some missions, the dialogue from the NPCs was absolutely groan-worthy as I try to figure out what on earth was written in your script that made you use that inflection, and then I say it aloud a few times with much more believable tone and mood. The Aldrin mission where the isolated Terrans finally come in contact with a lost colony of human explorers and the Terran captain says "Who are YOU?!" In a mood not unlike a clown at a birthday party made me roll my eyes and spend the rest of the dialogue replaying that particular line in my head, confused as to why you would let that pass muster for voice acting.

A few spurts of silly voice acting however does not break this game or it's gameplay. It's an amazing sandbox, and starship captains of all walks of life will find something to sink plenty of hours into in this amazing expanse.
  3. Apr 7, 2013
    What's so enjoyable about this game is that, somewhat like the GTA games, it seems to be several games at the same time, and let's you hop from one game to the other at the flick of a button. I'll be first-person dogfighting in a sleek fighter one moment, then, when the last enemy ship is down, dock on my destroyer, and leave the engines idle so I can bring up the maps and play a strategyWhat's so enjoyable about this game is that, somewhat like the GTA games, it seems to be several games at the same time, and let's you hop from one game to the other at the flick of a button. I'll be first-person dogfighting in a sleek fighter one moment, then, when the last enemy ship is down, dock on my destroyer, and leave the engines idle so I can bring up the maps and play a strategy game pushing my fleets around before going into mercantile management of all my factories, finding what products I have been trouble selling, and considering branching my businesses out into new sectors. Everything you do in this game gives you the sense that you're gaining ground, and opening up the door to a new, and greater accomplishment down the road, and I can play as much a humble backwater merchant or a daring pirate as I want without feeling like I'm missing out on any of the game. This is exactly the sort of open-world gameplay more games should try to emulate. Expand
  4. Sep 8, 2012
    I don't understand how anyone can rate this game below 8.
    I've played a lot of space sims, I've spent massive time in getting to know (and mastering) each and every one of them.
    I don't understand how anyone can rate this game below 8.
    This one has given me something that I wasn't even expecting to find: a depth so deep that I don't think there's anything you can't do in this game. This game can take you from a "miserable" starting position (only one small, nearly useless ship and no money. Like a poor strayed dog left to the immensity of space), to the top of your own built space corporation, managing huge merchant and military fleets, farms, factories, supply stations, and nearly anything else you set your mind to.
    The most important thing is that every step you take in order to achieve this, you're taking it on your own. This game gives you freedom in every action (or transaction), there are no preset fleets or businesses, there is no preset campaign or anything like that: you do as you please, you build what you want to.
    If you are looking for some kind of easygoing space sim, you'll definitely try some other game (Sins of a Solar Empire, Freespace 2 (upgraded), Nexus, Homeworld...)
    You could also play X3 in a simple pirate style (hit-take-sell), but by doing so you'd miss 80% of the stuff X3 offers (and eventually you'd get bored and quit the game too).
    In X3 you are whatever you want to be: a smuggler, a bounty hunter, a handyman, a pirate, a businessman, or all of these together.
    But don't be fooled by visions of power, wealth and glory, to achieve these you must work hard, study the market, think and be very patient. It takes a huge amount of mistakes, failures, learning, observation, travel and money to build your own military and commercial empire. Take it easy and prepare to spend a massive amount of hours in traveling, dogfighting, trading, planning, upgrading, exploring, etc.

I don't give it a 10 because I find the interface rather undeveloped. They should improve the command and information systems, make them easier to access, make them more intuitive. They should also fix some AI issues like the autopilot crashing into gates and buildings sometimes or like own ships disappearing after being commanded to dock, etc. Were these problems arranged, X3 would be a true masterpiece, a game like no other.
  5. Jan 24, 2012
    Since so many other posts remark on the learning curve on this game, I will offer my own take. I did not find the learning curve very steep at all. However, having said that, there are many things that make accomplishing certain tasks, such as trade routes and issuing certain commands to a large number of ships a real pain the neck. Furthermore, mods to improve these issues were generallySince so many other posts remark on the learning curve on this game, I will offer my own take. I did not find the learning curve very steep at all. However, having said that, there are many things that make accomplishing certain tasks, such as trade routes and issuing certain commands to a large number of ships a real pain the neck. Furthermore, mods to improve these issues were generally not even on the agenda of the developers until they were proven to be fairly successful by the modding community. (Hence the "bonus" pack downloadable from the egosoft.com site.)

In other words, it takes some real effort to accomplish some of the tasks available in the game. (Not the kind of effort that takes skill, but the kind of effort that takes either a large amount of patience or boredom.)
    Egosoft has been very attentive to listening to the community about performance problems and have released quite a few patches and updates. My experience, however, was that one problem would be fixed in a patch, only to arise later in another. With the release of Albion Prelude, and the TC version 3.2 patch, I doubt very much that many more will be forthecoming; it is what it is.

Now that my big complaints are out of the way, TC is probably one of my most favorite games of all time. The universe is pretty much yours to do whatever you feel like doing... exploring, trading, fighting... whatever. The graphics are great, gameplay was smooth, and most all glitches and exploits have all been addressed by the game developers. (Who, as I said, are pretty great at listening to the community even if they don't always agree with what they hear.)

What I wish TC had more of was a more personal touch... to me, what's the fun of having a capital ship if you don't have thousands of crewman to boss around? Fighters should be manned by pilots who can gain skills and earn promotions, not drones that do what the onboard flight computer tells them to do. There is also very limited customization options available for ships. Certain ships are for certain tasks, no matter how you load them out. (Don't get me wrong, just having that option is pretty cool... just limited.) Boarding marines are pretty much just an abstract concept as being things you lob out the airlock to try and jack some other abstract pilot out of their ship. One dies? No biggy, we'll just train another one... which takes forever to do. Oh, and those big planets you see in the background? Usually their just part of the wallpaper and rarely actually rendered objects. The map tells you there's a few billion people living there. Neat. Big deal. A lot of my reviews focus on what is done wrong in a game, and this is no different. X3TC gets it mostly right. The variety of options and the plethora of means to accomplish them is the games strongest points. Add on that fairly decent eye candy and limited frustrations with bugs, you'll have a winner. It could be so much more though.
  6. Jul 24, 2012
    If you enjoy flying spaceships, and you relish the idea of being able to forge your own military & financial empire in space in a single player format game, then this game is for you. If you're patient, and willing to take the time to learn how to play, and willing to work your way up through the ranks to earn your fame, then this game is for you. If you want instant gratification, andIf you enjoy flying spaceships, and you relish the idea of being able to forge your own military & financial empire in space in a single player format game, then this game is for you. If you're patient, and willing to take the time to learn how to play, and willing to work your way up through the ranks to earn your fame, then this game is for you. If you want instant gratification, and expect space combat to be Call of Duty in a **** then you need to find another game to play. It's pretty much that simple.

It's not perfect, but it's pretty darn clean & neat with the recent patches & revisions. You will also find a staggering amount of add-ons created by both forum moderators & community that add even more to your experience.

Additionally, if you have a Steam account, you owe it to yourself to invest 10 bucks in the X Superbox. If space simulators are your cup of tea, you simply won't get a better bang for your buck anywhere else.
  7. Jul 21, 2012
    X3 is a great game, and it is a bit sad it is not more well known. It is not perfect, and I will say why in a moment, but the way it is now, it is one of the best sandbox-style games in existence. It is also easily on par with the previous gold standard of the genre, the Elite series. ............................................................ Others have said enough about the strengthsX3 is a great game, and it is a bit sad it is not more well known. It is not perfect, and I will say why in a moment, but the way it is now, it is one of the best sandbox-style games in existence. It is also easily on par with the previous gold standard of the genre, the Elite series. ............................................................ Others have said enough about the strengths and the problems of this game already: it has a steep learning curve, and it lacks a tutorial and in-game documentation. That said, this problem is not on the level of a really hardcore game, say, Dwarf Fortress. After about 1 day playing, you will "get" X3, and you will start experimenting. Once you do that, you will be rewarded with a vast universe, and very complex game mechanics, which, in addition, feel "meaningful", i.e. the complexity doesn't just arise from millions of numbers you need to control, but from a living and breathing universe. If you enjoy space games like Elite or Privateer, and sandbox games like Minecraft, I'm sure you will love X3. It's a brilliant combination of combat and **** ............................................................ Sounds great, right ? But that's not even taking into account the modding scene behind this game. This already very complex, very deep mechanics of this game become even bigger and better when you add some mods. There are whole modding projects adding dynamic wars and changing borders to the universe, as well as streamlining the trading interface and station building. This game would be very good without mods, but *with* mods, it's almost perfect.

............................................................ I said, "almost perfect". So, what are the problems? There are really only two: production value and interface. The game is made by a German developer, and it saddens me to say that (being German myself) but the writing isn't very good, the characters you encoutner feel bland, and the whole ingame lore is, just, meh. Compare it to the big franchises, Star Trek, Star Wars, Warhammer 40k, or even Homeworld, and I have to say, this universe feels just... cheaper, let's say. That's not my biggest problem, though (mainly because this is a sandbox game in large parts -- nobody ever complained about the quality of writing in Minecraft). The biggest problem is the UI. The interface is one that is made for a space combat simulator. However, as the game progresses, it gets more complex, and space combat, while still important, is not the only thing you do. You basically become the CEO or president of a galaxy spanning empire, maybe comparable to EVE online. But the interface still never leaves the **** of your ship. Every action needs way too many clicks, and while there are some mods that make the interface a bit better for some of the more complex tasks (space station building, managing you network of traders), the game doesn't really allow for this to be done efficiently. If there's ever an X4 (and I really hope there will be), the game should offer two modes: space combat, when you're in your ship, and "planning room", where you have all the consoles, display, graphs and maps you need to run an empire. The way it looks now, it's just not efficient enough, and it gets a bit tedious as your empire grows.

............................................................ Summary: Almost perfect game, half space combat sim, half empire building/sandbox. Very complex, but not stupidly so -- the complexity feels causally motivated. The only real problem is the interface: for a game so complex, the **** interface is just too limited. 9 out of 10.
  8. May 9, 2012
    Amazing game. Action Packed, beautiful graphics. Just be aware that this is not a game you can pick up and master in a few hours. Played right, this game can aborb the next few months to years of your life.
  9. Nov 9, 2011
    If you want easy, mindless fun in your games, then you will have to adjust your perspective for this game because it is HARD. What's that? You think you know hard? You don't know X3:TC, son, so buckle up before you double click. Still here? Good because I still have to say this: I came into this game expecting nothing, I hadn't even heard of the X universe or even played a game like thisIf you want easy, mindless fun in your games, then you will have to adjust your perspective for this game because it is HARD. What's that? You think you know hard? You don't know X3:TC, son, so buckle up before you double click. Still here? Good because I still have to say this: I came into this game expecting nothing, I hadn't even heard of the X universe or even played a game like this ever before and yes, like all beginners I spent most of my time pouring over spreadsheets and guides, tearing out my hair and yelling at my computer yet I loved every single damn infuriating minute of it! It's all about how much you put in to this game. You won't be done in 8 hours, you likely won't be done in 80, either. The more you give this game, the more it gives you and when combined with beautiful scenery, awesome music and engaging combat, it becomes a game worth committing to. Sadly, the few bugs and more irksome aspects of the game coupled with poor voice acting prevent me from giving it a solid 10, but don't let that dissuade you, it is definitely a game that tries, and excels, at being what it sets out to be. Expand
  10. Nov 27, 2011
    Well, it's not perfect,yes,but still the best one of the universe sim games. At the very first, it's really hard, because it's too free to play. you can do anything you want-----so you found hard to choose what to do... so i recommend you play the story mode first, DO NOT try free play at the very first.
    After you really know this game,free play will be the best choice
  11. Jan 6, 2012
    Best simulation and strategy game until now. First it is difficult to manage but it's worth to spend a time until you pass it. I truly recomend the game!!
  12. RobN
    Oct 1, 2009
    Easily one of the best space simulation games out there. Deep and complicated but only as much as you want it to be. You are able to play through the story as you see fit, while engaging in literally whatever you want to do. Fight pirates, be a pirate, fight everybody, be at peace, build a trading empire or a war fleet. This game is ridiculous. The learning curve, well worth it. User made Easily one of the best space simulation games out there. Deep and complicated but only as much as you want it to be. You are able to play through the story as you see fit, while engaging in literally whatever you want to do. Fight pirates, be a pirate, fight everybody, be at peace, build a trading empire or a war fleet. This game is ridiculous. The learning curve, well worth it. User made scripts and mods from the incredibly dedicated community (al-la Tribes 2) exists for this game and creating all sorts of new content from new ships/weapons/technologies/software/AI and god knows what else. Egosoft is making an online version of this game. That is insane and I can't wait to play the **** out of it. Get into it. Expand
  13. OldSchoolGamer
    Sep 3, 2009
    This game is not for the feint of heart, casual players, people with inferior PCs, or people who do not own a reasonable HOTAS setup (if you have to ask what that is, don't even think about the X series, go play Eve Online). That said, X3: Terran Conflict does one thing and does it well: it delivers a deep, engrossing, twitch-based space simulation with no rival or competition. This game is not for the feint of heart, casual players, people with inferior PCs, or people who do not own a reasonable HOTAS setup (if you have to ask what that is, don't even think about the X series, go play Eve Online). That said, X3: Terran Conflict does one thing and does it well: it delivers a deep, engrossing, twitch-based space simulation with no rival or competition. Owners of a nice system who enjoy combat designed for joysticks will quickly find themselves sucked in to a single player experience that can be enjoyed for years. I'm writing this based on version 2.1; the bugs that hampered earlier versions have been squashed, additional content has been added (for free), and the kinks have been worked out of the system. If you have any interest at all in creating your own galactic empire through combat and trading, you owe it to yourself to play this game. Expand
  14. Oct 30, 2010
    Reminiscent of Elite with massive up grades. The game play is not easy, but can be as tedious as you choose. This game is not for the easily bored. The game starts you right out with a lost and wandering sense, but you fit right into a groove soon after starting. Decisions have consequences, much like life. This game is addicting!
  15. Nov 12, 2010
    This is one of the best games ever, if you are into space trading type games like this. In fact , there is no other choice when it comes to games like this.
    The learning cure is huge. I have been playing this on and off for years. I have the interest, but not the time, which makes it difficult to play.
    If I did have the time, I would need no other games. It is really good. I gave it a
    If I did have the time, I would need no other games. It is really good.
    I gave it a 9.5 because the voice acting sucks. Turn it off and it goes to a 10.
  16. Mar 25, 2011
    Huge learning curve to get over, but once you've mastered the basics the game becomes much better. I understand that its not everyones cup of tea, but pushing through the learning curve is well worth it.
    All choice is left to the player on how they want to build themselves up. From merchant to pirate, warrior or builder, there is an infinite amount of things to do in the game. Even though its free play, you have to play the game with some kind of endgame goal in mind, otherwise it can be extremely boring. I myself built up a massive trading empire, declared myself independent to the other empires and began to annihilate one of those empires. It is quite a long haul and a lot of work to get there (~2 weeks or so) but its well worth it. Its got a neat polish to it as well, which i dont often see from german simulation games
  17. Feb 23, 2014
    Now, I've heard people say countless times that Terran Conflict is difficult to get into and learn - and while this may have been true in the X3: Reunion installment, Terran Conflict improves vastly the area of user friendliness. X3: Reunion truly was a chore to learn. Terran Conflict does a decent job, while not as good as some games, at showing you the ropes via the initial TerranNow, I've heard people say countless times that Terran Conflict is difficult to get into and learn - and while this may have been true in the X3: Reunion installment, Terran Conflict improves vastly the area of user friendliness. X3: Reunion truly was a chore to learn. Terran Conflict does a decent job, while not as good as some games, at showing you the ropes via the initial Terran Conflict campaign. It shows you all the skills you need to make the universe yours through the main campaign - but this isn't where the game ends, this point is where the game begins. You then have a reasonable arsenal of ships at your command and the knowledge to make money and begin your own empire. There are then many more missions to undertake for the various corporations in the universe as well as other factions (not to mention the random quests for individuals.. there's a lot to keep you busy.

The only reason that Terran Conflict appears daunting in spite of the fact that it does manage to ease you into things fairly well, is the sheer volume of avenue's you can pursue to do what you need to do to become what you WANT to become. You are then given multiple alternative starts (though certain all encompassing and highly recommended mods can enable them by default, and why not? this isn't cheating, as many of those starts can be quite difficult over the initial placement in the military of the Argon or the Terrans that most people start with. I recommend my favorite mod, the XRM mod, as it adds a vast amount of content and variety to an already vast game, and believe me, once you get going you are going to appreciate every little bit of it. From random wars between factions to interesting stations you will stumble across and find that they sell some very interesting variations of ships. The mods are also the easiest to install in any game, but I'll leave you to look up that information yourself as that is not what this review is about, it's about the core game of X3: Terran Conflict.

The entire universe is truly cause and effect - what you do, or don't do, will subtly or majorly affect how the economy works. Lets say, you want a trade route because it's quite profitable and the merchandise isn't exactly common... but there's a lot of competition for it and often you miss out. If you can manage to keep your standing with factions high enough that they don't send out death squads after you for being a "pirate" whilst deterring that competition from getting the one up on you, you can find yourself at the head of this proverbial gold mine without being known as a complete scourge of the X universe. It just depends on who you're "persuading" (through intimidation...) and who you're doing business with. The relations are complex and this does volumes in the area of immersion, it truly allows you to be who you want to be. Of course, you needn't resort to underhanded practices to make your million either, you can build your own space stations, complexes that feed off each other and give you an abundance of say, missiles or other weapons that you can sell for high prices at many locations with many factions... such things are always in demand in the X universe.

It isn't a game for those who simply want to blow everything out of the sky, though there are plenty of opportunities for this - I don't rate games based on a simple criteria like this. Those types of players preferences make them more suited to different styles of games and that should not influence this games score in the slightest, because it does do many things, and unlike a lot of games that try to be a jack of all trades, X3: TC does them quite well. Really, only a modicum of patience and some lofty dreams are all you require to get this game OOZING the fun.

If I had one single gripe, it would be that the artificial intelligence is troublesome at times, but much of that can be avoided through assigning smaller combat wings and having them on standby for different purposes.

I'll touch on the rest, now.

Graphics - They are pretty. Not cutting edge, but they will still manage to dazzle you in many instances.

Sound: different weapons have different sounds, again, elaborated by mods, but they tend to suit the weapons in my opinion. The engine sounds are fairly nice, when you are close enough to hear them.

Gameplay: this has been criticized, however I suspect that the people didn't really know how to use the indicators on-screen. It's fast-paced, exciting.

Mods - very simple to install, so why not? the X Rebalance Mod, which is just one single mod, which adds so much that you have no reason not to try. Please, do yourself a favor and give it a try for maximum enjoyment. It adds much more than I have quoted and it's lore friendly through and through.

If not for the AI pains, I'd give it a solid 10. (Note: For those that complain of the speed, there's a time acceleration feature that lets you choose up to 1000% speed for those long journeys. Do not overlook this
  18. Aug 24, 2014
    Incredibly immersive and intelligent. Complex and complete. If something doesn't work, there's a reason why. If you can dream it up, you can do it. It's probably the most rewarding game I've ever played because it hands you nothing, withholds everything, but allows you to have it all.
  19. Feb 8, 2015
    X3: Terran Conflict Well first off let me just say this is a very complex game. I think that the beauty of it is how you start out so humbly which makes the game not overly complex in the early stage. People are not forced to know everything to play. Yet with lots of resources for information in game, and especially on the egosoft forum people who want to delve deep into X3 have theX3: Terran Conflict Well first off let me just say this is a very complex game. I think that the beauty of it is how you start out so humbly which makes the game not overly complex in the early stage. People are not forced to know everything to play. Yet with lots of resources for information in game, and especially on the egosoft forum people who want to delve deep into X3 have the ability to do so. The variety of ships is incredible. Ranging from small fighters, to huge capital ships. Ship to ship boarding (awesome feature can be frustrating). X3 Also has an incredibly in dept economy. Trading is multi dimensional in a way few if any games have ever rivaled. There are just so many things that make this game amazing. There are some things I think this game could improve upon. For one thing, while the game offers lots of options for open ended play, I wish there was a more compelling story line.

After reading a number of reviews of this game I have some more comments. Many of the issues people complain as being bugs are actually complexities added into the game. For instance a few people mentioned no being able to save in space. There is an in game item called salvage issurance which is cheap, and allows you to save any time. You can buy it in quantities >1k which means you can go 100's of game hours without even needing to restock. Someone mentioned getting missions he could not complete in time. Well there are more than 100 sectors most with multiple mission at any given time. These missions change regularly allowing you to pick and choose ones right for you at any given time. Also the game has many features that make these seemingly impossible missions possible for advanced players. In a game where you have the potential to gain so much wealth, and power it would be silly to not have difficult missions that cannot be completed in the first hour of play.
  20. Nov 9, 2011
    I'm surprised by the low score, to be honest. It's one of the best games I have ever played, and as a testament to its addictiveness, I decided to uninstall it for a while: my social life almost came to halt in the past weeks because of X3TC.

To get an idea of the game, think of a combination of old-school PC Elite (the open-endedness of it), Privateer (the fast-paced and well-balanced space combat), plus a complexity and range of choice that I honestly never encountered before (maybe, as weird as that might sound, Minecraft or Nethack come close). It's an almost perfect game, the only criticism I have that the artwork is not up to the game mechanics (character portraits looks bland, voice acting is cheesy, and the ship design is not really memorable), and, more imporantly, as the game progresses, and you get the chance to build your own "empire" (consisting of space stations, towering destroyers and carriers), the interface becomes cumbersome and, quite frankly, terrible. That's something Egosoft *must* look into: a game that allows this level of complexity really needs a better interface for managing such complexities.

One word about the learning curve: it's steep, but not quite as bad as others seem to think. Here's why: there are two kind of "complex" games, those that run without knowing all the game mechanics and those that don't. Take for example one of the most complex (strategy) games I can think of, Hearts of Iron. I tried it, and gave up: you seem to need to know at least some of the mechanics before you can start playing, and I didn't feel like reading up on it that much. In comparison, a game like Civilization is also fairly complex, but you can just *run* it for a while, and discover its complexity while playing. This is exactly the case for Terran Conflict (I heard the previous title, Reunion, was less accessible, btw). You can start playing, fly around a bit, shoot (and kill) some enemies, and discover the depth while playing. It's true, the game lacks a good tutorial, so the *very* basics, like flight control, you need to look at, so I would suggest the excellent forum for asking questions (forum.egosoft.com) and the Egosoft FAQ, which is more like an encyclopedia (http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/index_en.php?faqtype=1&version=9).

tl;dr: One of the best games I've ever played. If you like space combat (like Privateer or Elite), strategy games or economy simulations (like Civilization or Sim City), and sandbox-style games (like Minecraft), give it a try. Don't freak out about the learning curve, just fly around for a while, take a few missions, and learn as you go along. You will love it, I'm pretty sure.
  21. Jul 27, 2013
    This game is what i call a true space simulator. it has all the awesomeness of space warfare from thousands of miles apart to the realistic logistics of buying each round for that new rail gun. From being the no body that solves peoples problems to ruling a nation that rivals the other races. This games rarely holds the players hand and let them do and fail at what ever they want. toThis game is what i call a true space simulator. it has all the awesomeness of space warfare from thousands of miles apart to the realistic logistics of buying each round for that new rail gun. From being the no body that solves peoples problems to ruling a nation that rivals the other races. This games rarely holds the players hand and let them do and fail at what ever they want. to some this might be a deal breaker. and yes i was that someone at the start. But the games been out for years now and there is most likely a mod for every complaint you have about the game. Expand
  22. DevinD
    Oct 30, 2008
    Not all video games are supposed to be easy to control. If people only rate off of an hours worth of playing then of course the controls will dictate initial standing. The x series is phenominal because once you can adjust with the controls of the game and become part of it/ because being a space pilot shouldn't be easy anyways, then the scenery falls into place and you feel as if Not all video games are supposed to be easy to control. If people only rate off of an hours worth of playing then of course the controls will dictate initial standing. The x series is phenominal because once you can adjust with the controls of the game and become part of it/ because being a space pilot shouldn't be easy anyways, then the scenery falls into place and you feel as if your there. X3 Terran Conflict will push the extremes for futuristic space flight for years to come! Keep it up Egosoft as your dedication will pay off for those who truely desire a space encounter of the third kind. p.s I would like to recomend for future X3's or if you push to X4 that you can control the individual like Free Lancer, as the twist of your expertise in visual graphics and to add the adventure to roam and salvage and maybe even gun fight on space stations would be BADASS. thankyou for your time -Out-. Expand
  23. JustinS.
    Oct 16, 2008
    Many of the 'professional' reviews will tell you - Terran Conflict is really only good for die-hard series fans - Well that's just not true! Terran Conflict has made some excellent progress from its predecessor, Reunion, in that aspect. It has a full tutorial system, and is much more open from the get-go. All in all - This is the best iteration in the series yet. It's Many of the 'professional' reviews will tell you - Terran Conflict is really only good for die-hard series fans - Well that's just not true! Terran Conflict has made some excellent progress from its predecessor, Reunion, in that aspect. It has a full tutorial system, and is much more open from the get-go. All in all - This is the best iteration in the series yet. It's just too bad this is the finale. Expand
  24. ElijsD.
    Oct 19, 2008
    Gamestar's review is absolutely nonsense - they reviewed this game as if it were an FPS.. Look at this as the sucessful Freelancer, the real folow-up to the Elite, and review it as such!
  25. ScottG.
    Oct 20, 2008
    People tend to review this game and the rest of it's series by how steep the learning curve is and how accessible it is. Sure, if you've never played an X game, you will be confused at first. However, games should not be VERY accessible. That just makes them boring within two weeks. Egosoft can claim victory in this sense considering most of the people who took the time to learn People tend to review this game and the rest of it's series by how steep the learning curve is and how accessible it is. Sure, if you've never played an X game, you will be confused at first. However, games should not be VERY accessible. That just makes them boring within two weeks. Egosoft can claim victory in this sense considering most of the people who took the time to learn the game have been playing it for YEARS rather than a two weeks or so like all of the other Space Sims out there. Good job, Egosoft for another great iteration of the series. Expand
  26. indriajj
    May 7, 2009
    I really love this game++ the graphic is excellent ++ and the gameplay have more improvement in many sector ++ this is the when the first time i learned abount pronounce in English (i am from indonesia) now i speak fluency in English.
  27. TomN.
    Oct 17, 2008
    If you're looking at the review and wondering whether or not to go for it - do it. They took everything that was broken in X3 and fixed it, added even more to the already excellent X3 title, and polished it until it shone. There are some niggles, and some things you need to learn and adapt to, but a little perserverance (even less now the mission and guide systems are improved over If you're looking at the review and wondering whether or not to go for it - do it. They took everything that was broken in X3 and fixed it, added even more to the already excellent X3 title, and polished it until it shone. There are some niggles, and some things you need to learn and adapt to, but a little perserverance (even less now the mission and guide systems are improved over the previous titles) and this game will reward your patience a thousand-fold. This has very nearly made the wait for Elite 4 a distant memory. Expand
  28. RichB.
    Oct 17, 2008
    Now with the solar system's planets the X series has never been more engaging. A totally immersive, with a scalable sandbox mode which can have you in charge of an empire the size of your imagination. stunning graphics and a gripping story too (if you feel like persuing it). some say the game has a steep learning curve but 100% worth it, plus you will still get the most from this if Now with the solar system's planets the X series has never been more engaging. A totally immersive, with a scalable sandbox mode which can have you in charge of an empire the size of your imagination. stunning graphics and a gripping story too (if you feel like persuing it). some say the game has a steep learning curve but 100% worth it, plus you will still get the most from this if you have not played any of the previous games. Build, fight, trade, think, the title's tagline is a perfect way to sum up the open ended nature of the game. Expand
  29. MorganW
    Feb 22, 2009
    Fantastic game, whilst the initial release was a little buggy, as with prior games, updates and the soon to be released game "expansion" prove to be fixing many of the bugs and improving the game at the same time. Egosoft once again show their dedication to their customers by keeping up with updates and additions.
  30. mikep.
    Apr 13, 2009
    Well this game is crazy sweet... when i first turned it on i was like wtf.. i just wasted 40 bucks. You start in a ship with little money and dont know the controls.. then you go look at the controls there soo many you kinda freak out. calm down..... you can access everything with the mouse on the screen as you play.. eject from you ship and you can repair your ship cause is slows down Well this game is crazy sweet... when i first turned it on i was like wtf.. i just wasted 40 bucks. You start in a ship with little money and dont know the controls.. then you go look at the controls there soo many you kinda freak out. calm down..... you can access everything with the mouse on the screen as you play.. eject from you ship and you can repair your ship cause is slows down when below 90 %. quickes way to make money is get up too 17 mil buy a split tp and go around buildin factorys for ppl atfirst it seems like soo much money but it really not after you start fighting. forget the factroy or trade stuff for now.. learnin curve is high takes a bit to get used too. go get jump drive. games i play call of dutys, all the battlefiled games , command and conquer, total wars, homeworlds, gta, sports and raceing, this is that other game you wish you could find and get into. here it is the hidden jem. this game is way better than expected. wow... i could go on for a while. if you want a game that challenges you and is not over in 10 hours here it is. its amazing. ive been playin since atarii and this is first game that has made me go write a review.. first review.. after 2 decades of game playin...cause this one deserves it any one that gave it a 0 or a low score did not play past first 5 mins... i almost didnt im sooooo glad i got this game. Expand
  31. NickeP.
    Dec 1, 2008
    I give it 10 for its unique appeal, replayability and depth. Its not a game for everyone out there, pure space-action shooter fans will find it too easy dogfights-wise. However, if you value freedom of play, sandbox type of gameplay and continuos support. Just as with previous X titles Egosoft will offer new content years after release, modding community will make mods expanding the I give it 10 for its unique appeal, replayability and depth. Its not a game for everyone out there, pure space-action shooter fans will find it too easy dogfights-wise. However, if you value freedom of play, sandbox type of gameplay and continuos support. Just as with previous X titles Egosoft will offer new content years after release, modding community will make mods expanding the gameplay even further. Easy scripting tools will allow you to effortlessly program your own AI, with just a little programming knowledge. Its not perfect in the general sense of gameplay, its a little buggy, hard on the uptake and unforgiving. If you manage to go over that, however, you'll never look back. Expand
  32. Grizzzzzzzzzzzz
    Oct 21, 2008
    Egosoft have done it. The only disappointing thing about X3: Terran Conflict is knowing that the universe will never be as exciting as it is in game, not in your lifetime at least.
  33. May 22, 2011
    The main story is poor, with the usual terrible voice acting. The ships are lovely to look at, but for much of the time they'll just be little dots that you can't see. It's very difficult to learn how to play. Having said all that, this is a fantastic game. There's so much to do and you can do it almost any way you want. I keep coming back to this game time and time again.
  34. Apr 20, 2011
    While this game suffers from a steep learning curve (be prepared to invest 5 hours of in-game time learning the ropes), has some lousy voice acting (when the best voice acting seems to be coming from alien lizard birds with broken English there's a problem), and you're going to die a lot as long as you're in the starter fighter they give you. Despite all this, this has to be the bestWhile this game suffers from a steep learning curve (be prepared to invest 5 hours of in-game time learning the ropes), has some lousy voice acting (when the best voice acting seems to be coming from alien lizard birds with broken English there's a problem), and you're going to die a lot as long as you're in the starter fighter they give you. Despite all this, this has to be the best space simulator I have ever played. It is enjoyably difficult and actually quite easy to handle once the basics are learned (you can do about 90% of the jobs in the game with just a few clicks in the auto-pilot menu). The game is of course not something that will be finished in a single afternoon and is certainly not for anyone who just wants immediate gratification. Of course on the plus side I've found the game is a very good candidate for simply leaving on over night with the auto pilot on if you're preforming some action that would take several hours or if you're simply waiting for your trade empire to earn some cash. There are a few suggestions I give to new players of course:
    1. Make sure auto-save is on and dock at a station before accepting any mission. You will thank me for this advice after you get into a combat mission, get blown up, and realize you didn't make a dedicated save for a few hours but you did land in a station before taking the mission. It's too easy to die.
    2. I've heard several complaints about a bug where missions fail as soon as you get them. Pretty sure these are the assassination missions they're griping about. It's not a bug. If the mark spawns in a high security sector right next to the local security force's battleship, its a pretty good bet they're going to get him before you can get you're ship there.
    3. If you ever find yourself either getting bored with the game or not liking a certain part of it, look into the mod community. There's a rather extensive and active one with mods that add ships, sectors, and even improve functions of your ships such as adding improved turret targeting and drone cargo gatherers.
  35. Apr 21, 2011
    X3: Terran Conflict. One of the latest of the X-Universe games, this one released in 2009. It is a long standing and well worth the purchase. For beginner players who have never been to the X-Universe, it is a bit frustrating but very rewarding if you stick it out. For vets of the the X-Universe, this is and has been a real reward with a living and breathing universe both for and againstX3: Terran Conflict. One of the latest of the X-Universe games, this one released in 2009. It is a long standing and well worth the purchase. For beginner players who have never been to the X-Universe, it is a bit frustrating but very rewarding if you stick it out. For vets of the the X-Universe, this is and has been a real reward with a living and breathing universe both for and against you. Those not experienced in the X-Universe may wish to jump in at this point before the release of X-Rebirth scheduled for late 4th quarter of 2011. This way you will already have a good understanding of the metrics of the game as well as the freedom to do anything you want and explore anywhere you want! Expand
  36. Aug 15, 2011
    X3 Terran conflict is a slow game but rewarding if you get past the slowness the best thing you can do to enjoy this game is to look up a guide online and follow that for a little while then deviate from it at the end game you have plenty of trade ships doing the trading for you leaving more time for you to do the fighting missions, Interface also has improved from Reunion. I have to markX3 Terran conflict is a slow game but rewarding if you get past the slowness the best thing you can do to enjoy this game is to look up a guide online and follow that for a little while then deviate from it at the end game you have plenty of trade ships doing the trading for you leaving more time for you to do the fighting missions, Interface also has improved from Reunion. I have to mark it down due to its inaccessibility that seems to put so many people off. All in All if you are obsessed with space Sims try this one out Expand
  37. Aug 4, 2012
    This game is wonderful and so deep. Not very hard to learn, I've spent 1 hour reading x3wiki and watching tutorials and was ready to play. Maybe interface is not very user-friendly, but there are mods which can fix that. This game needs better AI, less scripting and modern graphics and it will be perfect.
  38. Aug 7, 2011
    In my time with X3: Terran Conflict I can definitely say the learning curve is a sheer cliff. It will take a good deal of patience and planning to get the control interface set and learned. A better tutorial would have improved the learning curve issue and let the player get into the game more than spending the first few hours combing through wiki posts. The control interface can be a bitIn my time with X3: Terran Conflict I can definitely say the learning curve is a sheer cliff. It will take a good deal of patience and planning to get the control interface set and learned. A better tutorial would have improved the learning curve issue and let the player get into the game more than spending the first few hours combing through wiki posts. The control interface can be a bit overwhelming but at any time you can pull up the menu easily enough and figure it out. Ship controls with the mouse and keyboard are very fluid, but I recommend a good joystick you can map a lot of quick functions to and a throttle control is a must. Music in the game is nice, but I'm not about to buy the soundtrack any time soon. It gets old after a few hours and every song seems to melt into the next one while never really changing much. Weapon and ship effects are beautiful. Ship's engine sounds are perfectly tuned to the ship you are flying. Small fighters have a higher pitch while capital ships rumble as they accelerate. Graphically this game is simply a work of pure art. Stations and ships are so detailed I feel as if they will pop off the screen, lasers flash across the screen lighting up your hull as they nearly hit you. The background artwork makes me feel as if I'm actually in space. Travel between systems can be a big drawback. If the mission is time sensitive odds are you will not make it as flight is very slow. There is an option called SETA drive that acts as a time accelerator to speed trips, but it also speeds up the mission clock making you fail more timed missions than you'll ever pass. The jump drive system does well to address this issue, but if your ship can't hold it you lose. Also capital ships really are not much fun to fly. They are big, limbering monstrosities that really should just be used as a support unit rather than a flag ship.At the end of the day it's a great game if you have patience and can plan ahead. This ain't your daddy's space invader game. Expand
  39. Mar 5, 2013
    A bit long winded. Almost like a single player EVE. Very enjoyable if you like first person space-sims with a realistic economy. Going from one small ship to an empire of multiple stations with capital ships. I'd recommend to any gamer.
  40. GH
    Nov 1, 2008
    So far I am impressed by X3 Terran Conflict. Whilst it has some slight performance issues at the moment which, going by Egosots past performance, will be addressed sooner rather than later, it comes across as a welcome update of X3 reunion. It is now far easier to find missions, and there is a far greater variety to choose from. For the first time, combat has become a true money earner, So far I am impressed by X3 Terran Conflict. Whilst it has some slight performance issues at the moment which, going by Egosots past performance, will be addressed sooner rather than later, it comes across as a welcome update of X3 reunion. It is now far easier to find missions, and there is a far greater variety to choose from. For the first time, combat has become a true money earner, making life more interesting for those less interested in the trade side of things. As far as looks go, the game, whilst using the same engine, looks even better than before. As far as the actual combat is concerned, I would be hard pressed to point out any specific improvements or changes to the flight model, yet combat feels a lot more fluid and intense than it previously did. Capital ships now seem to represent a major challenge to fighters, smashing them from space with all the eficiency of a fly swatter. There is still a lot for me to see and experience in TC, and I have not yet ventured into the story plot, but from my experiences so far, this game represents a positive step foward from X3:reunion. If you have time, and a bit of patience, then this game is a fantastic example of an open ended space opera. The only real downside is for those with iether limited play time, or the attention span of the console generation. This is a grand example of the type of expansive, mature and intensive games which the PC is great for. Expand
  41. JoséA
    Oct 2, 2009
    Great game it the best game of the space. Very goods: ships, stations,battles, beauthiful images, simples manoeuvres, must thinking don't shot anytime, easy buy and sell produts, THE BEST
  42. Telcontar
    Oct 8, 2009
    The space sim is not dead, thankfully. This game has a great deal to offer for players who don't mind a slower pace (though the battles are plenty fast). Also, as with all flight sims, you'll want a joystick to really make it work - trying to dogfight with keyboard/mouse is just a drag.
  43. StephenF.
    Nov 20, 2009
    This is the best game that I have ever owned and I've owned quite a few. Yes, the learning curve is tough, but once you get the hang of it, X3TC takes you away to an alternate reality filled with all of the eye candy and thrills that you could want in this genre. After a few initial bumps, I eventually found myself fighting, trading, building, and strategizing to my heart's This is the best game that I have ever owned and I've owned quite a few. Yes, the learning curve is tough, but once you get the hang of it, X3TC takes you away to an alternate reality filled with all of the eye candy and thrills that you could want in this genre. After a few initial bumps, I eventually found myself fighting, trading, building, and strategizing to my heart's content, and even after hundreds of hours of gameplay, I realized that there was still so much that I could do. If you buy this one, be ready for hours of open ended gaming freedom that consumes most of any free time that you have. If there is a down side, I would say that it is that most of my other games have ended up on the back burner because of this one. Expand
  44. ArgonT
    Oct 18, 2009
    This game is definetly the best space simulation available on the market. Grafics are great, its easier for beginners to understand the game as former X games and offers lots of additional possibilities concerning fleet creation and economy for more experienced gamers. But the strength of the game, the endless gaming time and the possibility to do whatever you want, is also a fatal This game is definetly the best space simulation available on the market. Grafics are great, its easier for beginners to understand the game as former X games and offers lots of additional possibilities concerning fleet creation and economy for more experienced gamers. But the strength of the game, the endless gaming time and the possibility to do whatever you want, is also a fatal weakness. You'll get to a point in the game where you have millions of credits and hundreds of ships and you ask yourself: What the hell am I going to do now with this stuff? If you fight the old enemies in the game, Xenon or Pirates, it doesn't really pay of or makes any sense. But the trade, think, build principe still makes lots of fun for a certain time. Expand
  45. AlS
    Dec 5, 2009
    Expansive, with restful graphics. The game could improve by incorporating an easy to set Mod allowing those of us with slower systems to still play the game, albiet with poorer graphics. More start games that offer a stronger start point for those of us more interested in letting the AI defend our ships while we get on with trade. Perhaps some allowing established Headquarters adn fleets. Expansive, with restful graphics. The game could improve by incorporating an easy to set Mod allowing those of us with slower systems to still play the game, albiet with poorer graphics. More start games that offer a stronger start point for those of us more interested in letting the AI defend our ships while we get on with trade. Perhaps some allowing established Headquarters adn fleets. A mode that allows those more sedentary players the ability to fall asleep without the game penalizing us Despite those things the game is one of my all time favorites already. Expand
  46. GerbenW
    Dec 7, 2009
    Great game. Love the X-game serie. Lots of gaming hours and not to easy or to hard.
  47. JohnB
    Oct 7, 2009
    Amazing game, Great graphics, Deep and complex. Buy, Update and enjoy the best space sim on market.
  48. SebastianG
    Feb 17, 2009
    I would be perfect if it would't have some things that really piss you off like the universe map or the autopilot system that can't pass near an asteroid whithout doing a lot of stupid movements...
  49. RadoP
    Apr 24, 2009
    I love X series, loved X3 Reunion and I'm falling in love with X3 TC. Biased review? You bet! The galaxy has expanded, the Terrans have a central role in the new episode (if you follow the plot) and the game itself has become even bigger and deeper. Sure, it is not a FPS (so stop whining about the fighting system and plan ahead a massive fleet battle...), it is not a RTS (if you just I love X series, loved X3 Reunion and I'm falling in love with X3 TC. Biased review? You bet! The galaxy has expanded, the Terrans have a central role in the new episode (if you follow the plot) and the game itself has become even bigger and deeper. Sure, it is not a FPS (so stop whining about the fighting system and plan ahead a massive fleet battle...), it is not a RTS (if you just collect, build, attack, you are missing a lot of the possibilities). X3 TC as its predecessors, is a massive ambient where you can set up your goals and struggle to realize them. And thanks to the ever growing Modders community it offers a wide variety of add-ons, conversions and twists that make this game even greater. So why didn't i give it a 10? Because the best mod for it is still under development. Expand
  50. KejnK
    Sep 28, 2009
    A very open ended game. Much easier than X3:Reunion to get started in. Take the time to trade between missions and visit the forums. This will greatly lessen the steep learning curve. Many hours of enjoyment, if you give it a chance.
  51. LeeA
    Dec 29, 2008
    When it came out in Oct 2008 it was a rip off, half finnished product but now its X3 Reunion with the free expansion added to it and then re sold to us the beta testers. X3 Reunion with a new interface is all your getting extra if you havent yet tried Reunion with the Xtended mod. To all the ones moaning about the controls try the options menu like you do in every other game to make it When it came out in Oct 2008 it was a rip off, half finnished product but now its X3 Reunion with the free expansion added to it and then re sold to us the beta testers. X3 Reunion with a new interface is all your getting extra if you havent yet tried Reunion with the Xtended mod. To all the ones moaning about the controls try the options menu like you do in every other game to make it nice to control. Make sure you get a decent joystick with lots of buttons only the X52 pro has enough. Expand
  52. JonathanN
    Dec 7, 2008
    This is a great game. I love it to bits and if im at uni ill have withdrawl symptoms from it! There is a but! As Mike T said, this game will attract every fan of the X Series and i can guarantee that they will all love it, i myself have played since X3 reunion; so i can generally pick it up and play. But even then the controls are still hard to learn. I currently have v1.3 and 80% of the This is a great game. I love it to bits and if im at uni ill have withdrawl symptoms from it! There is a but! As Mike T said, this game will attract every fan of the X Series and i can guarantee that they will all love it, i myself have played since X3 reunion; so i can generally pick it up and play. But even then the controls are still hard to learn. I currently have v1.3 and 80% of the errors in v1.0 are gone including the performance issues Mike T mentions; there are also lots of new additions and commands to help make gameplay easier. If one is willing to take the learning curve of this game, this game will outlast any game you have ever played due to the sheer content of what you can do. Build, fight, think and trade is the perfect tagline and since Egosoft have released this game in October they have already eliminated most of its flaws within the space of 2 -3months and even before xmas! I personally give it a 10/10, and when you do buy it make sure you update the game! Expand
  53. DougeyeM
    Nov 23, 2009
    cant give it a ten because its not 100% complete. my only quible is the frame rates even when using a powerful system. geforce 295, amd phenom quad core black edition, 8gb ram and many other top parts and i have had frame rates as low as 9 with this game. but apart from the graphical issues the game mechanics ( which require an adult mind ) are very good. i like the fact its not pick up cant give it a ten because its not 100% complete. my only quible is the frame rates even when using a powerful system. geforce 295, amd phenom quad core black edition, 8gb ram and many other top parts and i have had frame rates as low as 9 with this game. but apart from the graphical issues the game mechanics ( which require an adult mind ) are very good. i like the fact its not pick up and play be better than everything else after 30 mins. it takes weeks to fully explore this game. i just want to say from reading most of the bad reviews it sounds like these players havn't found the SETA drive button that speeds up game time by 10x when flying. its a must! i remember wen i first played x3:r i spent 4 hours on the first patrol mission not knowing about the SETA drive lol Expand
  54. CachoG.
    Jun 18, 2009
    High, high learning curve, for me at least that this was my starter in X universe. But as a old space freak (sorry, fan ;), is "almost" the game i was especting since Privateer. (yead, old). By the way, i still play Privateer as his remake, Gemini Gold... Classics never die.
  55. PhilP
    Dec 11, 2008
    I'm not sure why the X-Series has always received such poor reviews from the critics. Sure the learning curve is steep and the UI is not ideal, but the shear magnitude of the universe, incredible graphics, customizability and replayability make this a great value and wonderful game. Any old-school fans of Elite will absolutely love this game.
  56. Aug 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Let's see the "cools" of X3-TC:
    - Really, REALLY big ships and stations
    - Many ship types
    - Very big view distance
    - Big amount of missions and sectors.
    - You may be a pirate, a trader, a cop, and many more!
    - Very much types of devices!

1. X3: Terran Conflict is the last episode of the space saga from Egosoft. There is a huge war going on, a war against the Xenon and against the game's controls. Terran Conflict looks great, there's more action than before and it's possible to control lots of ships - theoretically. But in reality controlling more than one ship is very complicated, if not impossible. But if you liked the other X-series games, then you might like this one, too.
    The saving grace in this title is the level design. A living breathing world has never looked so good.
    Lovingly concocted, generally well executed, and hampered only by a few niggles, this is a game that not only achieves its goal -- plunking us into another time and place to live the life of an entrepreneurial spaceman -- but shows us that some titles can truly take us places.