8.2

1. Oct 13, 2012
    I do miss some function that was in the original game, but I think Firaxis has made up for that with a few things I am really enjoying. They have somehow made me very protective of my few but effective soldiers. They made me actually WANT abductions to occur so I had a faster opportunity to obtain scientists, engineers, and money. The base interface is intuitive, looks great, and theyI do miss some function that was in the original game, but I think Firaxis has made up for that with a few things I am really enjoying. They have somehow made me very protective of my few but effective soldiers. They made me actually WANT abductions to occur so I had a faster opportunity to obtain scientists, engineers, and money. The base interface is intuitive, looks great, and they nixed the need for multiple capture rooms (huzzah!). In the original game, I can't tell you how many times I have tried to get soldiers to a good position and ran out of points to move them there, so I think the move/rush feature is awesome. I want to create multiple bases, but being able to cover the same areas with satellites is not a bad trade. Maybe we'll see it in a DLC, who knows. The half-cover/full-cover dynamic is simple to pick up and hard to master. A fantastic addition to the game. Frankly, I couldn't be happier about my decision to play this game. Never been happier to drop $50. Expand
  2. Oct 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First and foremost, I have to say that all around, this is a pretty solid game. Visually, it is stunning, as the makers have owned up to their claims by seamlessly combining the game play with a cinematic twinge. The actual game play on missions themselves is pretty straightforward, with quite a bit of room for custom play styles; whether you're more of a massive armor, heavy guns, run and gun style player or a sleek, stealthy tactician, either way works. The ability to completely customize your soldiers is a nice function as well. From their skills, right down to their names and how they look, it helps add some more investment for the player. Top it off with being able to completely customize each soldier's gear, and it's like Christmas every time you get something new! Being able to build your base however way you'd like is another nice touch. Maybe more research, more engineering, or however you wish to lead your group. Couple that with having to balance keeping the world powers happy and not letting them drop off the radar, literally and figuratively, helps break up the game play throughout the experience. With all that being said, the game still left me with a more-ish taste. It had a lot of different options, but never quite enough of any single one. Like the old proverb which really seems to encompass the game, "Jack of all trades, master of none". Early on it is exciting, but quickly you find yourself seeing the extent of what you can do. There may be umpteen different items to research, but only one style of each. It just felt like there could have been more customization, more research, more expansion, much more mission variety, and so forth. Still, regardless, as I said before, it is still a pretty solid game. To be completely honest, I would have been way more pleased to pay $30, maybe $40, for the game as I believe that is what it's worth. Still though, I don't regret it at all and if you're a fan of strategy games (maybe not a diehard XCOM fan), this is still well worth it, especially if you get it on sale or at a lower price! Expand
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    Firstly, I am writing this review without having played the original XCOM, so I only have other turn based tactical games to compare this to.

Having got that out of the way XCOM: Enemy Unkown is a powerhouse of a game. I have already put over 15 hours into this it and still feel like I have only scratched the surface. This game lets you play the way that you would choose to lead, you are the Commander! It truly feels that way too, all the way down to the minute decisions, like, how your base is going to need to be positioned to give you optimal performance, what research you need to conduct, and what items, or facilities, need to be built. If you have any doubts about this game then subside them now because it is well worth the dollar amount for how much game you will be receiving. That is not to say that the game is perfect as it does have some minor flaws; these flaws however do not really detract from the overall performance.

Firaxis has proven that they are a force to be reckoned with and this title furthers that belief. They took, from what I have read, and heard, a beloved title and done it justice. They have developed an incredibly addictive game that forces you to make tough decision with repercussions that will either A) make missions more difficult, B) completely remove allied nations from your support system, thus, reducing the amount of money you have to spend, or, C) Risk the death of a veteran soldier who has ran through several mission. You will be surprised at how attached you will become with some of you XCOM soldiers. The game does a splendiferous job of making you feel in control as a Commander and that the fate of this entire project rests on your shoulders. You even get to choose which countries you should help, or which ones you will ultimately have to throw to the hounds, by which missions you choose.

The missions in the game are fantastic and each providing a different challenge based on map layout. I have yet to play a single mission that was similar. One detraction during missions though are the camera angles which for some reason do not allow you to zoom in on location yet allow you to zoom out and sometimes the angles can get a little frustrating but nothing that can not be gotten used to. The music can get a little repetitious, but that could also be a sign of needing to take a break as you will often forget how long you have actually been playing. It is really tough to close the game after each mission because you want to further upgrade your squad making them tougher and more bad ass. But when the music starts to get irritating that may be the sign to log off for a bit.

Overall this is a very solid game that yearns for the embrace of any user who fancies him/herself a strategist. It is deep, complex, and full of possibilities that require your choices to pave the way for humankind to endure the Alien occupation. Not everyone is safe while you play having found this out the hard way by losing one of my characters brothers that I had created to make it more deep and personal to me. It is a loss that shall forever be remembered via the memorial to the fallen. Not every country is safe and it is up to you to decide who shall prevail and who must make the biggest sacrifice to save Humanity, that is what makes this game awesome. Hopefully your choices lead you to victory and that your casualties stay minimum but that is up to you overall, Commander!

I have recently read some of the user reviews here that state it is "dumbed" down, or too "streamlined", and from a gamer who never played the original I have to say in defense that it really didn't feel that way to me. You can adjust the difficulty at any time, even mid-mission, and everything these days is getting streamlined because no game should be shut off to any gamer by being slated as unapproachable to a casual player. I thought they did a smashing job of making this a game that anyone can play while still giving the player the ultimate choice of how difficult they want to play the game.
  4. Oct 14, 2012
    I played all the x-com classic games and I was not dissapointed with this one. I do miss some tactical options, it seems they simplify the game but not to the point where it is not challeging. It has the terror feeling that you could expect from an xcom game.
  5. Oct 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, lets get it rolling...minor spoilers ahead. I'm a XCOM Veteran who played xcom, TFTD and Apocalypse pretty much at release. The original is (and probably always will be) the best game I've ever played. The new XCom comes quite close to that, albeit being quite different in many aspects. I'll quickly say how I feel about the game and then I'll address a few of the complaints some players have. Pro: - good feel of progression (research, foundry, officers school, skill tree, psi-lab)
    - combat mechanics make for fast, yet tactical gameplay
    - narrative much stronger than in the old game, though it's no "game of thrones"
    - Action-Cam can look great and usually adds to the atmosphere
    - new Mission types
    - IronMan-Mode

Cons: - no randomly generated maps
    - Interceptions have the appeal of an afterthought
    - Graphics seem a little outdated
    - Visual Bugs (Clipping)

I obviously love the game. I'm in my 3rd playthrough (which is usually a bit shorter than in the original game) and it just doesn't get boring. The new additions and the decisions to let go of some of the old mechanics were spot on, in my opinion. Many players dislike the fact, that you only have one base you can design for yourself. You still have a few more "bases" as the game progresses, but they're mere hangars for your interceptors. But that never bothered me, since that was one of the smarter approaches in the old game anyways and I think, the developers took that into account. I would always have just one main base (with 2 skyrangers max), since the skyranger had huge mileage. You could fly to a crash site on the other side of the planet and still hover and wait for daylight. I'd build small cheap bases early on, with the best radar available and 2 hangars for interceptors. So for me, nothing changed with the new XCOM in regards to my approach to basebuilding.
    Also the new base-building mechanic allows for quite some depths itself, due to the adjacency bonus and rising costs as you dig deeper.

But many criticize the "dumbing down" of the tactical combat,mainly due to the removal of time units. I, on the other hand, think the new 2-move system is actually more challening at times. It makes for a quicker and more action-packed gameplay, yes, but it also forces you to make some difficult decisions. The new reaction shot mechanic (overwatch) also works much better and can now be a very reliable tool. The addition of a comprehensible cover-system (although it took some time to really get the hang of it) really worked
    . At first, I was a little disappointed with the research tree, but if you take the foundry and the officers school into account it actually feels like there's more complexity than in the original (which, like TFTD, had some seriously game-breaking bugs .when it comes to research). The addition of complexity doesnt end there: The ability tree quickly blew away my initial concerns of what seemed like a rather limited array of abilites in the beginning. No aimed shot, no autofire? You will unlock similar abilites (though only with specific classes) and many more as you progress.

Yes, the class-system: what a good desicion to integrate that mechanic. I always love seeing that true and old RPG element being used in other genres. Don't get me wrong: XCOMs skilltrees don't have the same complexity like the ones of rpgs like dragon age, baldurs gate or diablo/titan quest, but they still allow for some synergy within the tree aswell as with other classes. So you can have different yet sensible approaches on how to skill your soldier. What still kinda sucks is intercepting UFOs. It wasn't spectacular in the old game and it didn'T really improve with the new version. Yes, just like in the old version, there can be some tension when your interceptor gets close to being shot down, but thats it when it comes to thrilling moments. There are some new additions, which quickly lost their appeal when I found out that instead of going with a cooldown system, the abilities were de facto consumables. But, and thats a another complaint, there are not many interceptions in the first place. It could get a little tedious in the old games, but they may have overcompensated a little in the 2012 version. On the other hand, there's no shortage of missions, just not many crash sites (maybe they aren't that satisfied with the arial combat themselves). The new mission types are a welcome addition, though not ground-breaking. But they force you to adjust your playingstyle which actually makes for a welcome change of pace once in a while. Which reminds of one more criticism: the lack of generated maps. I assume, that the coversystem called for some sort of consideration when it came to designing the maps, but I think this could have been solved. Overall a great game, simplified but not dumbed down, as many would have you belie
  6. Oct 22, 2012
    I played the original back in the 90's for hours and hours on end, though it had its bugs it was a great game overall.

This new version has its differences, but I still find it very enjoyable. I would like to see some more of the options and depth that the original had though. Inventory, less hand holding, multiple bases, etc. Maybe that will come in an expansion pack but with everything tailored to work with the weak consoles I'm not going to hold my breath.
  7. Nov 19, 2013
    I must say this X-Com remake is WAY better than i expected. Sure it has been "dumbed down" compared to the classics, but it still feels authentic. the graphics are decent, the camera in the vanilla game is a little bugged and clunky (but can easily be optimized with some mods). The campagin itself is brilliant, addictive and fun, one thing that bothers me personally is the fact, that youI must say this X-Com remake is WAY better than i expected. Sure it has been "dumbed down" compared to the classics, but it still feels authentic. the graphics are decent, the camera in the vanilla game is a little bugged and clunky (but can easily be optimized with some mods). The campagin itself is brilliant, addictive and fun, one thing that bothers me personally is the fact, that you can only have one base and one Skyranger which makes keeping all the states happy, a pain in the arse. Another big minus ist the Multiplayer. It really lacks feature like an option to play together with a player against AI which a) shouldn't be that hard to include in a turned based game and b) would improve the playability and replayability of the game imense. But despite those minor issues, it's one of the best turnedbased strategy games since ages. Expand
  8. Oct 18, 2012
    I can't even begin to describe how good this game is. I'm not usually the type to go for the tactical RTS but Enemy Unknown is a wonder. This is the first ever XCOM game I've played, and although sometimes i lose pathetically, (started playing IronMan/Classic Mode) i can not stop playing. There's something mesmerizing in all those little driving mechanisms that comprise EU, that just keepI can't even begin to describe how good this game is. I'm not usually the type to go for the tactical RTS but Enemy Unknown is a wonder. This is the first ever XCOM game I've played, and although sometimes i lose pathetically, (started playing IronMan/Classic Mode) i can not stop playing. There's something mesmerizing in all those little driving mechanisms that comprise EU, that just keep me going, be it the story and setting (both of which are executed above par), the characters who are generic and expendable to the point when they get a promotion, and then suddenly, it's a whole new ballgame. The graphics and visual effects are satisfying, although some of the more "refined" players might take issue with that. The sound effects and music are great, and there's something about hearing a sectoid scream after being successfully shot, that makes me feel warm and giddy on the inside. I'm not too far ahead in the game but i strongly believe that this game is worth your money. I hope for a sequel or an expansion pack soon. Expand
  9. Jan 5, 2013
    I like it. I'd say it is about a big expansion away from being perfect. It needs slightly more depth. Then again, as far as I've gotten is one suit of titan armor, a squad kitted with stolen plasma rifles.. and then **** RNG kills the last of my super troopers and several continents have cut funding.

I am about to turn it off of Iron man mode, **** hell do I blow. Classic difficulty is so goddamn hard. I mother **** hate thin men still. They always, always crit on me or cause a panic spiral with their dumb fart clouds.
  10. Oct 6, 2013
    Back in the early 90's when I was a wee lad, I was looking at the selection of PC games in a KB Toys in the mall and some random guy walked up and put a copy of XCOM in my hands. To this day, I think of him as a neckbearded, ponytailed, Hawaiian shirt over a huge gut, angel. Because to this day, the original XCOM lives in the pantheon of great PC games. Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Rome:Back in the early 90's when I was a wee lad, I was looking at the selection of PC games in a KB Toys in the mall and some random guy walked up and put a copy of XCOM in my hands. To this day, I think of him as a neckbearded, ponytailed, Hawaiian shirt over a huge gut, angel. Because to this day, the original XCOM lives in the pantheon of great PC games. Half Life, Baldur's Gate, Rome: Total War, Dues Ex and XCom are the juggernauts of the medium.

It was a brave choice to remake it, because they were never going to fully win over the faithful. But on the other hand, it would be sad to let it die. All in all, it's not perfect, but it does the heritage justice.

Assuming you've played the original, long story short: The battles are far more exciting, the campaign is dumbed down.

Battles: Still turn based. Time units are gone, replaced with 2 action points. Move and shoot, move and snap shot (now called overwatch), move and ability (or item) or move and move. Seems overly simplistic, but the balance of unit types and terrain keeps it from getting too tedious.

The Good: You won't spend 10 minutes looking for the one last alien whose camped out in a house for some reason. Faster battles, more shooting, feels like a battle instead of a hunt. Unit types are broken down by classes, which makes squad assembly a lot easier, but in a good way.

The bad: The enemies "patrol," which means they agro when you see them. There is very little AI on their part. They rarely retreat. They also get a bonus move where they move to cover whether they move into your zone or you move into theirs.

Campaign: Pretty familiar. You pick a location for your base and build up. You can only have one base and the aliens never attack it. Scientists and Engineers are awarded as mission bonuses and over time, more or less.

Good: It's pretty close to the original. Combat gear is expensive to build, but you never lose it.

Bad: Dumbed down. No additional bases, no base attacks, half the building options are completely unnecessary. Even though 2/4 of the unit types are specialized, your soldiers advance at the same rate, leaving you with a ton of snipers and heavies that you never use and never enough Assault and Support units. Once you build the Firestorm, you will never lose an aerial battle.

Overall: Do everything in your power to build satellites in the beginning game and after a few months you won't be for want of money.

Misc note: Any veteran player will want to play on Ironman mode, where any death on the battlefield is permanent. But the game isn't really set up for that, unless you play it perfectly. In the original, there were low level missions intermixed with the higher ones, so you could level up your B and C squad without thinking too much about it. In this one, if you are smart with your research priorities, you've got 10-20 missions in the whole game. You have to deliberately bring lower units on important missions (they are all important). A squad wipe halfway through the game can be the end. Once the heavy enemies start showing up, unless you have a good squad, you're done for. Ironman mode seems to be a last minute addition.

Ending Thoughts: This is a great game. I love it. It has a few flaws that keep it from being perfect. But if you were a fan, you will probably like it. I wish it was a bit more complex, but you can't have everything. I wish there were more to it, but it's the best sequel to the original, and I include all the official sequels in there.
  11. Jan 12, 2014
    A solid game, great graphics and sound. Good ui and easy to learn, good story and interesting. I'm not a RTS player but this game hits the mark and well. The only complaint I have was a minor glitch where the enemies shots would go through walls and objects and hit you, other than that its a great game.
  12. Jan 3, 2013
    Vintage fun, I'm thinking, but it is rather streamlined in comparison to its predecessors. I remember UFO: Enemy Unknown rather fondly. Still, it's very enjoyable to play, and kept me playing; "I'll do one more mission" then ... "where'd the last three hours go?" It has some things wrong with it; the camera tends to spaz out at times, and the grenade throwing mechanic seems to work likeVintage fun, I'm thinking, but it is rather streamlined in comparison to its predecessors. I remember UFO: Enemy Unknown rather fondly. Still, it's very enjoyable to play, and kept me playing; "I'll do one more mission" then ... "where'd the last three hours go?" It has some things wrong with it; the camera tends to spaz out at times, and the grenade throwing mechanic seems to work like it's attached to an elastic band ... and the combat options are terrifically limited, but this stuff didn't impede my enjoyment of the game, the more difficult game modes are ridiculous though and I refuse to play them. Tactics completely goes out the window and everything is boiled down to a dice roll, essentially, which makes all your tactics redundant, irrelevant and makes the game seem a bit stupid and unfair in the process. Expand
  13. Nov 2, 2012
    Pros: Absolutely spot-on evocation of the original's tense tactical missions. Great eye candy. Very streamlined gameplay (some say too streamlined, forgetting that the original could get very tedious). The research systems are interesting and the money system keeps you just strapped enough for a good challenge level. Cons: A few UI choices hides important data, for instance forcing you toPros: Absolutely spot-on evocation of the original's tense tactical missions. Great eye candy. Very streamlined gameplay (some say too streamlined, forgetting that the original could get very tedious). The research systems are interesting and the money system keeps you just strapped enough for a good challenge level. Cons: A few UI choices hides important data, for instance forcing you to tediously check the loadout of every soldier individually before deploying. The ending is lackluster. The soldier's dialog when they hear a sound cue between turns gets _very_ repetitive. Overall: A really great game! I had a lot of tense fun and this is very worthy of the name (whether XCOM or X-COM). Expand
  14. Feb 8, 2014
    I've put 32 hours into this now and I'm still enjoying it. I have not made it through the game and I've restarted several times after learning from my mistakes. So I feel it puts up a good challenge. The graphics are solid, the atmosphere is pretty nice, and the music is as well. There are a few things that bother me such as when it cuts to my soldier shooting and it's giving me a strangeI've put 32 hours into this now and I'm still enjoying it. I have not made it through the game and I've restarted several times after learning from my mistakes. So I feel it puts up a good challenge. The graphics are solid, the atmosphere is pretty nice, and the music is as well. There are a few things that bother me such as when it cuts to my soldier shooting and it's giving me a strange camera angle. It is also rather slow during those scenes at times I'm thinking just shoot didn't I tell him to attack what's going on? Then he shoots finally. It also occasionally crashes for so no apparent reason. It could use another coat of polish but other than that it's a great game. Expand
  15. Jan 14, 2013
    A great strategic game, one that forces you to make decisions that will effect your game. A refreshing break from all the dumed down sequels that are out there, you have to actually think and plan your assaults. Not perfect by any standard, but alot of good tatical game play.
  16. May 3, 2013
    Played this game all the way to the end. I enjoy strategy games such as Civ, Total War, old school C&C, AoE, Starcraft I&II, Warcraft III, etc. I haven't played the old xcom, but I can say that I had lts of fun playing this one. You'll get your money's worth definitely.
  17. Nov 13, 2012
    The game is fun, but don't expect a true XCOM remake. If you are searching for an worthy remake take a look at xenonauts. The strategic possibilities were reduced to make the gameplay faster and more action based. For me the action based combat is working great and results in an satisfying gameplay experience. I would love to see an addon that brings back some of the options that theThe game is fun, but don't expect a true XCOM remake. If you are searching for an worthy remake take a look at xenonauts. The strategic possibilities were reduced to make the gameplay faster and more action based. For me the action based combat is working great and results in an satisfying gameplay experience. I would love to see an addon that brings back some of the options that the original game had. Like: multiple bases, base defense, picking up and using items during combat, different landscapes (desert, tundra, city, farm, ...), non-linear random levels and more items to research and produce. What annoyed me a little were the alien AI. The aliens start acting when you see them, they don't start moving before that.

In overall the game is fun to play and good for everyone who thought that the rounds in the original game were taking too long.
  18. Dec 3, 2012
    This game was simply fantastic. It offers a long singleplayer campaign (I got about 50 hrs out of it) which has a good amount of depth while still being very accessible. I haven't played the original XCOM, so I won't compare it against that, but it's clear that this game could have been a lot more complex and allowed for many more strategic options. By mid-game, it begins to suffer fromThis game was simply fantastic. It offers a long singleplayer campaign (I got about 50 hrs out of it) which has a good amount of depth while still being very accessible. I haven't played the original XCOM, so I won't compare it against that, but it's clear that this game could have been a lot more complex and allowed for many more strategic options. By mid-game, it begins to suffer from these limitations since you are limited to only having one party of troops out at a time or intercepting one UFO at a time. You also begin to run out of things to research, making your investments in labs less valuable. The combat is also very unforgiving, and if you're playing it on normal difficulty or above you will end up paying dearly for many mistakes (unless you are willing to save/reload regularly). Personally I liked that this game wasn't easy, but felt that it was occasionally too brutal: all it takes is one wrong move and your squad of elite troops might get slaughtered. Despite these critiques, the new XCOM is definitely a great game and well worth your time and money. Expand
  19. Jan 6, 2013
    Never played the 1990s XCOM, so I didn't have any particular expectations for the game. Bottom line: I enjoy it. I much prefer turn-based strategy over RTS, the game plays well, and it has a fair amount of repeatability. I find myself getting attached to certain characters throughout a game and feel a certain guilty sense of relief when it's the rookie who gets killed on a mission ratherNever played the 1990s XCOM, so I didn't have any particular expectations for the game. Bottom line: I enjoy it. I much prefer turn-based strategy over RTS, the game plays well, and it has a fair amount of repeatability. I find myself getting attached to certain characters throughout a game and feel a certain guilty sense of relief when it's the rookie who gets killed on a mission rather than one of my more experienced characters. That said, the game does have some problems, the most notable being the instability of the user interface -- not in the 'crashing' sense, but in the sense of suddenly moving just as you click the mouse to move a squad member or launch a rocket/grenade. In fact, when it comes to throwing/targeting items, the UI is prone to wild swings, and it takes a very gentle touch with the mouse at times to get it to land where you want. Related is the problem of ensuring that you're going to place you think you're moving; given the 3-D nature of the game, it is easy to end up exposed instead of sheltered, or right in the midst of the aliens instead of up above them. Since there's no "undo last movement/action" (understandably), an entire mission can get derailed by a single mouse click. Minor quibbles include having settings that don't seem to match the mission (e.g., going to urban France and having all the signage in Chinese, or finding yourself in what appears to be a temperate Northern Hemisphere forest deep in the Nigerian interior). I'd frankly like to see more variety in the mission settings (desert, jungle, seashore, island). The entire game plays through fairly quickly, which for me is an advantage; I can start up a game and see it through to the end without committing myself for days. The key lesson is don't rush in, because nothing will kill off a character or blow up a mission faster than getting out ahead of your cover (both physical and firepower). Recommended. Expand
  20. Jun 1, 2014
    This is a game that doesn't care to be balanced. It only cares to be great, awesome and to give you the most nerve-wracking hardcore experience ever! On Classic difficulty, this game is all-fury and no balance and it is awesome! You will scream and bite your nails as your troops get slaughtered, your interceptors shot down and countries It doesn't care about casual gamers and it doesn'tThis is a game that doesn't care to be balanced. It only cares to be great, awesome and to give you the most nerve-wracking hardcore experience ever! On Classic difficulty, this game is all-fury and no balance and it is awesome! You will scream and bite your nails as your troops get slaughtered, your interceptors shot down and countries It doesn't care about casual gamers and it doesn't care to be fair. If you don't have the balls to play then go back to your casual games! I can't wait to buy the expansion! My only regret is that I didn't buy this game earlier! Expand
  21. Jan 15, 2013
    Considering they took the gamble to take on the finest game ever, they've done a fine job. Maybe a little too predictable at times, there are still plenty of things here to keep you interested. Shame about the the Geoscape, but understandable, as it's been made to be as slick and streamlined as possible.
  22. Dec 24, 2012
    I've played isometric strategy games in the past, but not the original XCOM. I really enjoyed this XCOM, it was refreshing to play this genre of a game again. I thought the normal difficulty was just about right. Play it the attitude of saving little as possible; let those who dies die. The game has alot more emotional ups and downs when a character barely escapes death or doesn't comeI've played isometric strategy games in the past, but not the original XCOM. I really enjoyed this XCOM, it was refreshing to play this genre of a game again. I thought the normal difficulty was just about right. Play it the attitude of saving little as possible; let those who dies die. The game has alot more emotional ups and downs when a character barely escapes death or doesn't come back to HQ. Expand
  23. Dec 25, 2012
    The reibirth of tripple A turn- and squad-based strategy titles came up to my expectations in most points. The attempt to make PC/Console hybrid out of this title, defined all of its few flaws. This should have been a PC-Only reincarnation. Complexity of inventory and research is way too low, due to the attempt to make a console game out of this title. Still recommended to all strategyThe reibirth of tripple A turn- and squad-based strategy titles came up to my expectations in most points. The attempt to make PC/Console hybrid out of this title, defined all of its few flaws. This should have been a PC-Only reincarnation. Complexity of inventory and research is way too low, due to the attempt to make a console game out of this title. Still recommended to all strategy fans and a must for every turn-based strategy admirer. Expand
  24. Dec 25, 2012
    I didn't put enough time into the original to make a fair assessment of how it lives up to the name, but as a stand alone, it was a great game. While the upgrades and research available could have been a little more diverse, rather than feeling like just working to get each and every unlock, the thought of something new on the horizon keeps me coming back. Gameplay did eventually feel aI didn't put enough time into the original to make a fair assessment of how it lives up to the name, but as a stand alone, it was a great game. While the upgrades and research available could have been a little more diverse, rather than feeling like just working to get each and every unlock, the thought of something new on the horizon keeps me coming back. Gameplay did eventually feel a little repetative, but I remained on the edge of my seat, and worried for the safety of my team the whole time. Expand
  25. Jan 3, 2013
    So much fun and addicting. It's one of those games that I take with me and contemplate. It's like playing chess but with the ability to upgrade, customize, and promote the pieces. Navigating and traversing objects to flank one or whole groups of enemies in hundreds of different ways, gives every mission and the entire game years of replay. The only issue that I have had has been problemsSo much fun and addicting. It's one of those games that I take with me and contemplate. It's like playing chess but with the ability to upgrade, customize, and promote the pieces. Navigating and traversing objects to flank one or whole groups of enemies in hundreds of different ways, gives every mission and the entire game years of replay. The only issue that I have had has been problems with screen movement going hyperactive when trying to lob grenades or launch a rocket across the map. The depth of the game with the different heights of ledges or rooftops can take a few hours to get the hang of. The mouse wheel, screen rotation, and zoom will save you from making costly moves. Expand
  26. Jan 13, 2013
    I went into this game really hoping they did not mess up my X-Com. I was very pleased when I found out they did not mess it up. In fact, they made a pretty nice game out of a once and still great IP. There are people out there that are rating this game solely based on comparisons to the original and saying that it is a bad game or a sub-par game because of the fact that it is differentI went into this game really hoping they did not mess up my X-Com. I was very pleased when I found out they did not mess it up. In fact, they made a pretty nice game out of a once and still great IP. There are people out there that are rating this game solely based on comparisons to the original and saying that it is a bad game or a sub-par game because of the fact that it is different from the original. The original is still closer to me in my gaming heart, but this game is damn close too. It took a lot of the management from the original X-Com and simplified it so that players could focus more on the bigger picture at hand. Sure the game tries to push a narrative, that of which is sub-par, but you still get to form your own stories about your soldiers after naming them and controlling them in battle. The combat system has been simplified to better suit consoles but that is not to say that PC controls poorly. I for one like the new system, it is streamlined and simple. Sure you don't get to use all of your time units to wipe out 8-9 aliens in one turn with three of your units, but you still can do a lot in the two action points that you are allotted. The combat in this game is probably the best portion of it. The combat is fluid and flows well with the pace of the game, which is faster compared to the original. It can still give you those gripping moments as we once had in the original while also giving its own flair. When you zoom in on your soldier as he is trying to take out the last alien on the map it feels dynamic, as well as when the kill animations occur, it feels equally as dynamic. Customization of soldiers, albeit something they didn't need to include was a nice addition. You could customize your soldiers name in the original and that is about it, but even so you could still customize them in your minds to be your friends in battle alongside you and change their names to suit that notion. In the 2012 version, you could customize your armor, face, hair, race, color schemes, and name. It is a little barebones but still is better than just having generic soldier X as your default for every soldier. Over 100 hours of my time have been invested into this game and I must say, Firaxis did the series justice and I hope they continue to push out fantastic strategy games. Gameplay: 9/10
    Graphics: 9/10
    Sound: 8/10
    Story: 7/10
    Replay Potential: 10/10
    Overall: 9/10
  27. Jan 18, 2013
    Download this game Friday night, and when you next look at the clock it'll be Monday morning. This is a game that combines a mix of: a Civilization-style politics and research manager in the overworld; a Sim ____-style base builder and economy manager; and a tabletop-style, fast-paced real-time-tactics shooter. It features a wide variety of enemies revealed in an engaging plot, and smallDownload this game Friday night, and when you next look at the clock it'll be Monday morning. This is a game that combines a mix of: a Civilization-style politics and research manager in the overworld; a Sim ____-style base builder and economy manager; and a tabletop-style, fast-paced real-time-tactics shooter. It features a wide variety of enemies revealed in an engaging plot, and small squads of fragile, expendable rookies and hardened veteran soldiers on brutal missions. Even on Normal difficulty, you Expand
  28. Jan 17, 2014
    This is my first XCOM game, and it is a solid game.

Apparently, according to many fans of the previous one, this XCOM game is less creepier and overall less complex and streamlined. To be honest, despite being simplified, I was still quite challenged by Classic and Impossible modes. Perhaps due to the rather stringent starting conditions that you were given, and the huge tactical
    This is my first XCOM game, and it is a solid game.

To be honest, despite being simplified, I was still quite challenged by Classic and Impossible modes. Perhaps due to the rather stringent starting conditions that you were given, and the huge tactical advantage the enemy possessed.

Under those reviews, they talked about inventory management affecting movement and reload speeds, manual lighting, and targettable cover, all of which sounds pretty interesting without a doubt, some of which even made me feel like I was missing out on.

However, that doesn't necessarily make this a poor game, certainly not 0, even if you were trying to downvote..which isn't necessary at all, the good reviews themselves aren't all 10s anyways. And an 8 feels pretty justified in my books.

This is a great turn-based game. Graphics are decent, too.
    The story is short, and is somewhat linear, as with its game progression.
    Since the achievements are based on replayability, the storyline is kinda overlooked.
    The game progression however, feels constrained. Especially on the harder levels where every level pretty much fights the same if you want your team to come out in one piece.
    Now if there were a bit more leeway in the characters themselves, a few more special moves in the higher tier skills to compensate their weaknesses a bit more, that would make the gameplay much more flexible and enjoyable.

Other than that, it's a fun solid game. Well worth the christmas sale.
  29. Mar 7, 2013
    Loved original X-COM in 90's. This one is definitely not just a remake with contemporary graphics, it's a different game. It is still great as such. I do feel that it was somewhat over-simplified compared to original, especially missed are the inventory and picking up enemy weapons. Still, it provides a great tactical depth, and you have to actually think on your moves, instead of justLoved original X-COM in 90's. This one is definitely not just a remake with contemporary graphics, it's a different game. It is still great as such. I do feel that it was somewhat over-simplified compared to original, especially missed are the inventory and picking up enemy weapons. Still, it provides a great tactical depth, and you have to actually think on your moves, instead of just clicking things very fast. Expand
  30. Apr 12, 2013
    Awesome game Firaxis! I cannot believe that you guys made a turn based strategy game that blows the doors off most of the games that have come out the last few years. Please don't stray from the original design you guys started here with this game and just MAKE MORE!!!
  31. Apr 19, 2013
    Great fun for X-Com old timers. OK it's not quite as in-depth as it was back in the day, but no games are these days!
    I really enjoyed building up my squad and researching new developments, and of course kicking alien arse in the field.
    We don't get many turn-based squad strategy games these days, so we have to take what we can get, and this is definitely a good effort. Recommended for
    Recommended for old timers and for newbs who want a slower-paced, humorous and fun strategy game.
  32. Oct 6, 2013
    XCOM Enemy Unknown is a truly unique strategy game. With the countless "strategy" games that are dumbed down to the point where everyone can beat the hardest mode in a single long weekend, this is a breath of fresh air. You can actually lose the game and have to start over completely! I missed those games. Not only do you need to plan out moves in missions, but you need to plan out longXCOM Enemy Unknown is a truly unique strategy game. With the countless "strategy" games that are dumbed down to the point where everyone can beat the hardest mode in a single long weekend, this is a breath of fresh air. You can actually lose the game and have to start over completely! I missed those games. Not only do you need to plan out moves in missions, but you need to plan out long term political and investment strategies. You can't make everyone (Countries in the game, resources, etc) happy. You need to strike a balance that will ensure long term success. The actual combat is great as well. It is turn based, and primarily about positioning and using the right weapons at the right time. Weapon choices could have used a bit more strategy, but missions are still fun. When you screw up and get a team member killed, they are dead. You can run out of soldiers in the long run if too reckless. You can also save at any time, so short term mistakes are fixable, long term ones are not. Expand
  33. Oct 6, 2013
    My only issue with this game was the LACKING multiplayer. Limited maps (like 8 i believe) and repetition. The single player is fleshed out however, with soldier customization, and cool base customization.
  34. Jan 8, 2014
    I haven't really played the old XCOM and I'll sound like a fan boy, but I'll keep this review short. This game is very fun and some what frustrating but is only because I was losing when I played on hard mode and getting my butt handed to me. All I can say is if you like RST games or military (REAL) simulation either way, and if you want to get away from the Call Duty generation or the FPSI haven't really played the old XCOM and I'll sound like a fan boy, but I'll keep this review short. This game is very fun and some what frustrating but is only because I was losing when I played on hard mode and getting my butt handed to me. All I can say is if you like RST games or military (REAL) simulation either way, and if you want to get away from the Call Duty generation or the FPS games this is the game for you. Expand
  35. Jan 29, 2014
    I am an XCOM fan and I find this is an awesome reboot of the series. Unfortunately the story is a bit short. The Slingshot DLC requires a replay of the game once installed hence for those fans out there, make sure you purchase this DLC upfront else you will need to spend another 40 odd hours to replay the whole lot!!!

I am looking forward with Enemy Within DLC but for the price of USD

I am looking forward with Enemy Within DLC but for the price of USD 39 on just an expansion....I'll wait for a good deal
  36. Oct 9, 2012
    An extremely good interpretation of X-com and a good Strategy game.

An extremely good interpretation of X-com and a good Strategy game.

Pros: Fun turn based combat, good combat system that eschews the modern "You always hit" form of design for design that lets characters fail. New aliens are fun, interesting, and *very* dangerous. Streamlined weaknesses of the original X-com like spending 10 minutes staring at a globe waiting for something to happen. New diversity in missions and maps is excellent.

Cons: Would have preferred more customization options, and soldiers to have stats. Psionics appear to be missing. Weapons should be the Player's choice, not a skill set. Not sure if you have a choice in which Role a soldier picks up when they gain their first level.

Overall, I'd say it's well worth buying, and while it does have some minor issues, it's still a really great game.
  37. Oct 12, 2012
    The best way to review this game is to address the "problems" other people have mentioned:

"blah blah the thing i loved about xcom was i could have loads of different soldiers and customise their names etc" - hire new soldiers from the training school. Customise them in the barracks. You need to diable the tutorial in the options menu first. (only the suit colour was pre purchase bonus - play the game before writing a review.
    "you cant duck behind cover and there is unlimited ammo...this losies strategic variety". You can duck behind cover by hitting the shield icon called Hunker Down after moving. Ammo was deadwood and needlessly over complicates the game and loadout -play the game before writing a review.
    "the difficulty is too high and i can lose my best soldiers all in one mission and countries leave too easilly" - the original had elements of needing to be predictive too. You can lower the difficulty at any time. Save before every mission. - Buy easy games then look up walkthroughs on the internet if you don't have the brain for this kind of game.
    "the camera angles are bad my soldiers often rush into the wrong area rather than changing levels". This is true, that element could have done with some polish but you can avoid most problems by simply being more careful before moving between levels and using the keyboard to change height in steps rather than spinning the mouse wheel. Also get into the habit of using the rotate camera buttons that are pointless in most other games but essential here.

Overall it's a faithful and competent re-imagining of an all-time classic. A very slightly flawed masterpiece. 9.5
  38. Oct 11, 2012
    XCOM: EU is a thoroughly enjoyable sequel to the franchise, with a good balance of missions, technology, suspense, and gut wrenching decisions as you are forced to prioritize your way to victory. The graphics and engine work flawlessly together with only a few minor graphical glitches. The suspense and feelings of loss when you make a bad decision or joy at pulling off a flawlesslyXCOM: EU is a thoroughly enjoyable sequel to the franchise, with a good balance of missions, technology, suspense, and gut wrenching decisions as you are forced to prioritize your way to victory. The graphics and engine work flawlessly together with only a few minor graphical glitches. The suspense and feelings of loss when you make a bad decision or joy at pulling off a flawlessly executed strategy encourages you to push deeper and deeper into the game to fully explore it's plot. Normal difficulty seems properly tuned for players new to XCOM, Classic is definitely a challenge right in line with previous games and the Ironman feature of a single autosave makes it even more daunting.

In 30 hours I've only encountered one AI glitch where the turn would not end a quick save game reload fixed. There are only two minor complaints. The lack of a "tech tree" where you can see how far along a research path you are, something previous game iterations lacked but a useful addition if you lose track what was coming next. The second, squaddie role assignments are random, forcing you early on to mix up new teams to ensure you have two-three of each role instead of being able to pick.

TFTD was one of my favorite games when I started PC gaming in the 90's and X:EU does NOT disappoint in this regard. A modern, playable re-imaging of XCOM that comes highly recommended.
  39. Oct 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Possible spoilers in review.
    Fantastic game, very smooth release (few bugs that I have encountered). I am now about a third through the campaign (classic difficulty); and find myself yelling at my soldiers on screen when they mess up (because I'd never miscalculate tactically, heh). I feel like, on classic, I am struggling to beat back the alien invasion and every move is vital. Being my first playthrough; if I didn't save often and then revert to said saves, I'd have already lost.
    I've heard this game is not like the original X-Com; I never played them though. However it is extremely tactically based on missions and has very good strategic development/deployment in the 'Geospace.' The graphics are fantastic, the UI is a bit unresponsive (mouse).
    The bad: some of the battle cutscenes are ridiculous. The shooter has no real LOS but still is able to fire and hit (although 2K says it's more of a graphic misrepresentation of what is really going on). When I have already broken a window/opened a door and go to shoot; it shows me breaking the window again before I fire; not very immersive. I am prior military and our tactics were to always engage with 3x the numbers, flanking, combined firepower and fields of fire. You only get to take 4 to 6 soldiers on a ground combat mission and only 1 aircraft on air intercept missions. The maps are also quite small so that you don't have to really hunt for the enemy. Also you only get one Strike Team (one Skyranger: troop air carrier) to manage per mission. I would prefer things to be bigger; maps 4x the size, multiple ships in air combat, and multiple Strike Teams. Squads in real life are about 10 men, with platoons being about 3 squads and companies being about 3 platoons (90 total men in a X-Com company). You would never send a Fire Team (half a squad) to clear a city block by themselves. Although I do understand adding more soldiers on a mission might weigh down the fast paced combat action; be a load on the computer; etc. Also, when hiring rookie soldiers you can't pick their gender or nationality but you can change their first, last, nick name, and appearance. But if a soldier goes down on a mission you can't pick up that critical medipak or stunner or grenade, etc. he was carrying and use it (no inventory system during combat).
    All in all, a very well spent $50. I can't wait to see what they do with expansions, DLC, and mods.
    men women nationalities ammo pick up items
  40. Oct 17, 2012
    One of the most anticipated games of the year for me so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Followed the developer videos and ads and liked the additions to the game and gladly, this feels like a true successor to the original. and here it comes.... However, this game includes some of the irritations of the first game. You carefully surround an enemy position and 3 or 4 of yourOne of the most anticipated games of the year for me so I couldn't wait to get my hands on it. Followed the developer videos and ads and liked the additions to the game and gladly, this feels like a true successor to the original. and here it comes.... However, this game includes some of the irritations of the first game. You carefully surround an enemy position and 3 or 4 of your squad have a 91% hit chance (or thereabouts), gleefully you click fire on one squaddie after another only to miss all round. With 91% hit chance? This problem does not seem to happen with the aliens who can happily kill their way through your entire squad. My problem is not that this happens, but that you get a hit chance which seems to be bugged or quite meaningless as this happens time and again. On top of this boy is this buggy. I have to control alt delete out at least once a session because a squad guys control becomes locked and will not respond. Perhaps once ever 2/3 hours. Another irritation is that sometimes you want to do something and try and click an option to do it. Your guy will path a completely different way. So it becomes a move save sort of a deal and writes off the ironman option I was keen to try. Dying to bad choices is one thing. To buggy controls is another.

But, for all that, this is a true successor to a classic original and worth persevering with. I very much like the "ant farm" base building and view in particular. The game does feel a bit linear at times and is in danger of being dumbed down. With tactical options for the player reduced and alien abilities that are frankly ridiculous at times. For instance, certain alien types have the right combination of movement and ability to be able whipe out entire squads with no recourse for the player. Unfortunately, sometimes they do and you just reload. Annoying as you have no recourse but they rarely seem to realise what they can do relying on massive accuracy and throwing you a bone with the odd blunder which feels like game developers showing the player a bit of charity.

I would like some more DLC to expand the potential and unlock some longevity in terms of making it feel even less linear but if the balancing I mention and the bugs are sorted out this is a classic that holds true to the spirit of the original while building on the concept in the right way. I was also expecting more strategic options from the base making it feel a bit more like a global campaign was taking place but this doesn't seem to be there and I am quite far in. Overall I am a tiny bit disappointed but not hugely so. I am expecting the bugs will be patched out which will help a lot and hope for future DLC to unlock more strategic options. This has the makings of a classic that people will be buying for many years to come, its just not quite there yet.
  41. Oct 14, 2012
    The original XCOM was amazing, first game I played with a research tree (and you had to obtain certain alien artifacts before you could research them). Always meeting new aliens, no idea in advance what they could do. Got this remake Friday night. I'd logged 12 hours by Saturday evening. Loving it. While a few things (e.g. multiple XCOM bases) have been taken away, many new thingsThe original XCOM was amazing, first game I played with a research tree (and you had to obtain certain alien artifacts before you could research them). Always meeting new aliens, no idea in advance what they could do. Got this remake Friday night. I'd logged 12 hours by Saturday evening. Loving it. While a few things (e.g. multiple XCOM bases) have been taken away, many new things added including RPG progression for each character, ability to customize soldier's appearance, great in-game cut-scenes when you send-out a mission or land at a mission site as well as longer voice-acted scenes. Just FUN. Expand
  42. Oct 14, 2012
    From what I thought was just another remake of an exceptional series actually turned out to become one of my favourite games for this year (if not forever). Sure it lacks minor abilities like controlling your spaceships and several hardcore tactics which you may find in the previous release, but still the newly designed XCOM will hook you up for several hours of intense gameplay, IFrom what I thought was just another remake of an exceptional series actually turned out to become one of my favourite games for this year (if not forever). Sure it lacks minor abilities like controlling your spaceships and several hardcore tactics which you may find in the previous release, but still the newly designed XCOM will hook you up for several hours of intense gameplay, I actually quit playing FPSs because of this superbly made remake (or rather some what streamlined experience) and then on other hand you've that superbly made interface, aliens and an huge arsenal of fire-power, all developed by Jake Solomon's team at FirAxis themselves, thank you, I'll be looking forward for a lot more content such as DLCs or why not an expansion or two!?

Score: 9/10
  43. Oct 14, 2012
    Before Reading negative reviews and believing them, check that users past reviews - you will see they hate EVERY GAME.. not just this one. This is a great re-make, not perfect but for a first release with DLC coming, it's well worth it. Don't believe the negative reviews, they are just sore on everything.
  44. Oct 15, 2012
    Truly Firaxis has revived a genre and re-invented a style of gameplay I thought had long since died out! To be honest I would be giving this game a 10 were it not for (what I feel) what has becomes SOP for firaxis games which is glitchy UI performance and overall bugginess! And I fully expect things to level off and many patches later most of these bugs will be fixed.. but until thenTruly Firaxis has revived a genre and re-invented a style of gameplay I thought had long since died out! To be honest I would be giving this game a 10 were it not for (what I feel) what has becomes SOP for firaxis games which is glitchy UI performance and overall bugginess! And I fully expect things to level off and many patches later most of these bugs will be fixed.. but until then Congrats Firaxis on bringing it back and SHAME on firaxis QA for continuing to let the lackluster polish go on games that would otherwise be perfection! Expand
  45. Oct 15, 2012
    It's natural to compare this to the original UFO:EU (X-Com: UFO Defence) because it's a reboot of the IP, but it's unfair to detract from the score because it's not the exact same game. The original was far from perfect and this title goes a long way to smoothing over the old issues. It's generally simpler all round but in a way which makes it more intuitive and gives better ease-of-useIt's natural to compare this to the original UFO:EU (X-Com: UFO Defence) because it's a reboot of the IP, but it's unfair to detract from the score because it's not the exact same game. The original was far from perfect and this title goes a long way to smoothing over the old issues. It's generally simpler all round but in a way which makes it more intuitive and gives better ease-of-use without making the game tactically easy to win. I'll go over some of the major differences: 1) Smaller range of weapons and equipment. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because you still have all the items you really need. Yes the original had a million and one items but let's be honest, how many of those did you really use? It was impractical to load your soldiers up with all that kit because they needed so much time to ever move anywhere, let alone fire. The reduction and simplification in equipment means you don't have to waste a load of time re-equipping your soldiers for 10 minutes at the beginning of every mission (though when they return from injury, sometimes you do need to do a quick re-fit) but it does mean less flexibility between soldiers. Ammo is gone, though reloading is not. This means you can't fire forever without a pause, but you don't have to manage ammo stocks and go back to previous weapon tiers when you run out. It also eliminates the bug in the original where you lost partially emptied magazines at the end of a mission. 2) Smaller research tree. A by-product of having fewer items means less research, but even so there's not an exhaustive amount for your scientists to do. I found them running out of options a few game days before I finished the game, though, so you could argue it was timed correctly. 3) Simpler statistics. Gone are the multiple, varied, stats you found in the first game in favour of a two-step action system where you can move twice, move then shoot, shoot twice (depending on skills) or use items. I personally welcomed this as it did away with the fiddly time unit management where you had to constantly keep track of how much time your soldiers had left for different types of shots. Shots themselves have been simplified, as have many of the items. It's a more streamlined experience, allowing you to move through missions more fluidly without getting bogged down in statistics. 4) Soldier classes. Like the UFO series did, this game has classes. I'm not sure how the game assigns each class to each soldier but it seems to be out of the player's control, which I found to be a little awkward. You might be trying to get another sniper but you keep getting support soldiers, for example. The classes give diversity to your team but they are, admittedly, restrictive due to the limited equipment options for each class. Snipers can only have sniper rifles and pistols; heavies can only have heavy weapons and a rocket launcher; assaults are the only ones that can use shotguns but both them and the supports can use assault rifles. It's restrictive, though you won't mind too much since they do work well together and you won't find your heavies having a significant movement or shooting penalty like you used to in the original, making them a viable choice. 5) Single base, worldwide scanning via satellites. Gone are the multiple bases and multiple squads in favour of a single one with worldwide scanning ability achieved through satellites instead of several bases. Interceptors are now limited to a continent instead of the old fuel limits, meaning you should still station them sensibly but you don't need to build a new base to accommodate them, you simply buy them and arm them. 6) Story. The original had a story but the game was more expansive and you could sort of ignore it and kill aliens forever. This title gives a linear storyline that you need to progress along by reaching certain world objectives. It's not a bad story at all, but it's short and a little too guided. It would be nicer if the game also included some sort of endless or free mode which gave a result more like the original, with less hand-holding. For me, this is the only disappointment of the game. 7) Enemies. They're back, they're good, but they're placed in groups rather than individuals. I like the new graphics, even though they're not amazing, and it's nice to see the old races re-imagined and re-designed. Environments tend to be smaller and easier to navigate, but that makes sense on the UFO crash maps. You follow the trail of broken trees and flaming wreckage to the downed craft, which is more realistic than a craft placed down on the map as if it fell directly down and made no impact, like the original game depicted. It's a great and it does many things right and better than the original but it could do with a few tweaks to make it more flexible and I dare say slightly more complicated but certainly it should have been longer, or have alternate game modes to give re-play value. Expand
  46. Oct 9, 2012
    This is a 10 for me. It is fun to play not tedious like the original. You can spend hours playing and actually enjoy it. It is somewhat simplified compared to the original but that is not a bad thing. Great graphics and cut scenes while playing, a lot of tech to research, money management, base management and of course awesome missions that are the meat of the game. Bottom like if you areThis is a 10 for me. It is fun to play not tedious like the original. You can spend hours playing and actually enjoy it. It is somewhat simplified compared to the original but that is not a bad thing. Great graphics and cut scenes while playing, a lot of tech to research, money management, base management and of course awesome missions that are the meat of the game. Bottom like if you are looking for a complicated and hard core strategy game than this is not it. If you are looking for a fun yet challenging strategy game this should be on your TOP list to try. Expand
  47. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a really, really good game. However, it's not X-COM UFO Defense or Terror from the Deep with updated graphics, physics and interface, which is what a lot of fans were hoping for. I grew up playing X-Com, Civilization, Command&Conquer, etc etc, all those good classic games. I've been getting one disappointment after another with today's developers trying to give their "spin" of theThis is a really, really good game. However, it's not X-COM UFO Defense or Terror from the Deep with updated graphics, physics and interface, which is what a lot of fans were hoping for. I grew up playing X-Com, Civilization, Command&Conquer, etc etc, all those good classic games. I've been getting one disappointment after another with today's developers trying to give their "spin" of the classics, my latest gripes were Civilization 5 and Diablo 3. That being said, this is NOT one of those cases. This is actually a really good succesor of the franchise, the moment you open your mind and realize that not EVERYTHING has to be the exact same as the older games. Most of the bad reviews and complains are coming from die-hard fans of the franchise (I'm one of those), that wen't into rampaging rage the moment they didn't find the very exact game in the very exact layout, literally. This game has 80% of the original X-COMs, they took some stuff out, added some others, and overall made a great game. Look, I agree, I'd love to have loadouts, inventory and the extra basic movements with action points, like crouch, kneel, etc. I'd also like to have the similar Geo-escape, the Auto vs Aimed shots, the destruction of ground, and other smaller features they left out. However, not having these things DO NOT make this game a bad successor of the X-COM franchises. It definitely does NOT merit the "0 scores" fans are giving it. You have to be objective in this case, it's not the exact same game, it's not what probably you were expecting, but it's not a bad game at all. Considering the other X-COM disasters, and today's games, this one is a standout tittle. They amped up the action, gave it nice graphics, the new base layout/design is actually a better idea graphically and logically than the original games, the individual progress of your soldiers through abilities and classes is a very VERY good implementation, and overall they did achieve the "grim feeling" of the original games. Music could've been better, but still gives you that scary feeling like the older games, not as much tough. The parts of the game that I didn't like were the handholding to the point of annoyance of the starting missions, the cheese cut scenes and attempt of background story could've been left out, the lack of randomization of maps/landing zones and the feeling of a linear progression. Conclusion: This is a great game, a decent successor of the X-COM series, but it's NOT the exact same game as the old ones. There were several features left out that could've made the game even better, but there are also couple of really good additions. Overall is a modern age X-COM, it does deserve a good rating and you'd truly enjoy it if you get in your head the fact that this is a new game, not a X-COM UFO Defense with modern graphics, it's in fact a new game. There are some bugs here and there, nothing horrible; the game is not "dumbed down" as many are saying, it doesn't have the same level of difficulty as the classics, it's true, but the features left out from the original games DOES NOT grant it the tittle of "dumbed down". Please take with a grain of salt the "0 scores", those are really not objective reviews, they were wrote in anger by fans of the older series that would give ANYTHING a "0" just because it's not the exact same game or maybe just to say "I used to play the older games and nothing will be the same". Expand
  48. Oct 9, 2012
    Possibly one the best turn based tactical game. Dont listen to the bad reviews. probably players who does'nt even own the game. Good job firaxis.
  49. Oct 10, 2012
    Also, look at the reviewers previous reviews. 10 for Dead Island but 0 for Xcom? You mad? Don't understand why people do things just to be generally annoying.
  50. Oct 12, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown pays homage to the original by giving you what the original title couldn't. With updated graphics and physics engines, you don't feel like you're destroying the same space craft over and over like you did in the original. With character customization, all of your soldiers aren't clones of each other like the sectoids are. There were those that complained about the 1XCOM: Enemy Unknown pays homage to the original by giving you what the original title couldn't. With updated graphics and physics engines, you don't feel like you're destroying the same space craft over and over like you did in the original. With character customization, all of your soldiers aren't clones of each other like the sectoids are. There were those that complained about the 1 base limit, but what they do not tell you is that one base is enough. You start out with 4 hangars world wide to store your aircraft, so strategic placement is still there. Research is still a must, and you have more development processes than the first one offered. This isn't dumbed down at all, it's revisited and they removed excessive micromanaging that was taking away from the player experience. Do yourself a favor and play this game. The complaints about bugs in the game are based on the initial release, and 2 days later they already had patches out for them (PC). Don't drag this game down based on reviews that are now obsolete. Expand
  51. Nov 6, 2013
    Fire Emblem with guns? Pretty much- you must get this game if you love strategy/RPGs. I loved this game for its story, its gameplay for giving players the ability (and responsibility) to make choices that affect the resistance to alien invasion. Best of all, I loved having my soldiers rank up and become specialists. The game is well thought out, as enemies generally spawn in randomFire Emblem with guns? Pretty much- you must get this game if you love strategy/RPGs. I loved this game for its story, its gameplay for giving players the ability (and responsibility) to make choices that affect the resistance to alien invasion. Best of all, I loved having my soldiers rank up and become specialists. The game is well thought out, as enemies generally spawn in random locations so you can’t just restart a level once you know where the enemy is. My only regret about this game is that once you really get the ball rolling with powerful soldiers, weapons, and income, the game ends rather abruptly. Other than that (and some production issues, like being able to shoot through solid objects to hit targets), the game is nearly flawless. Expand
  52. Oct 10, 2012
    The original Xcom made me love turn based strategy games, and since then no game has been able to fill that void... Front Mission series and Incubation were close... This new Xcom is the real thing. Shut up and take my money!
  53. Oct 10, 2012
    This is a very very good strategy game at the tactical level. I think the Strategic level needs a little work, and the itemization of weapons and gear needs more options. But with that said, I have been playing pretty much non stop since release and I see a lot of replay-ability. With DLC coming, i can see spending many many hours on this game.
  54. Oct 15, 2012
    Love this game. I'm a long time fan and still a player of all the previous x-com titles (the real ones not the flight sim or 3rd person shooter rubbish). This iteration of the series is much more streamlined and easy to play while actually providing more options to players tactically. It removes some things some players such as excessive micro-management base supplies and otherLove this game. I'm a long time fan and still a player of all the previous x-com titles (the real ones not the flight sim or 3rd person shooter rubbish). This iteration of the series is much more streamlined and easy to play while actually providing more options to players tactically. It removes some things some players such as excessive micro-management base supplies and other micromanagement details like that, but those changes actually makes you feel more like a commander of a base rather than someone filling the shoes of logistics, command, and every other role of a military base all at once, and lets face it logistics (buying supplies manually) is boring as hell. The Prone, crouched standing for your men has been replaced with full cover, half cover and no cover (also flanked) which makes movement and play feel more realistic and makes it easier to use. Tactically (which is where the fun is in these games) all tactical options from the previous games are still in there except for the some (non-tactical) tricks people used with time management such as creeping forwards really slowly while spamming overwatch which is just cheating really, the new time management system actually results in more believable gameplay without closing off tactical options and making your choices for what to do with your 2 actions per turn more important. The new class system for your troops while taking away the choice from you of how sort of class they will be still gives you the choice of how to make up your squad and with the unique skills each class provides this makes for more strategic choice than in the previous games when making up your squad. On the point of unique skills they open up more options for how you will use a turn than previous titles which only adds to the tactical depth. The only other major change from previous games is the shrinking of the squad size, this doesn't change gameplay or your tactical options all it changes is the time it takes to do a mission. The only negatives I've found are a few rare bugs with the menu system and occasionally the AI will take time (up to 1 min for me max so far) to process what it is going to do making you think it is frozen although graphics are still being rendered in realtime. Overall its a great title and the people making a fuss over changes really don't understand that the changes actually haven't changed the game much at all and have actually enhanced the tactical and strategic aspects, but some people just don't like change or enjoy jumping onto causes weather real or imagined. Expand
  55. Oct 13, 2012
    Love this game. True pinnacle of turn based gaming. Firaxis is to thank for that. Feel light and shallow at first until about 15 hours in. After that you are almost forced to restart on the basis that you've been playing the game all wrong. I felt the same way with Civ 5. Enough depth and entertainment to give me sleepless nights. Lots of ways to customize your play style. Great pacing.Love this game. True pinnacle of turn based gaming. Firaxis is to thank for that. Feel light and shallow at first until about 15 hours in. After that you are almost forced to restart on the basis that you've been playing the game all wrong. I felt the same way with Civ 5. Enough depth and entertainment to give me sleepless nights. Lots of ways to customize your play style. Great pacing. Sometimes wonky camera and movement , but that doesn't distract from the challenge the game offers even just playing on normal. It's a must play for any turn based fan. Expand
  56. Oct 16, 2012
    A wonder of a game and a wealth of surprises for the shrewd tactician. After dozens of hours, the player is met with an abundance of unpredictability in the nearly mind-wringing array of maps and possible outcomes that lay in wait. One can only be pleasantly confounded by the assortment to which the player can indulge in their tactical and strategic obsession. Furthermore, this energeticA wonder of a game and a wealth of surprises for the shrewd tactician. After dozens of hours, the player is met with an abundance of unpredictability in the nearly mind-wringing array of maps and possible outcomes that lay in wait. One can only be pleasantly confounded by the assortment to which the player can indulge in their tactical and strategic obsession. Furthermore, this energetic assortment is wrapped neatly in a graphical package that never ceases to amaze and leave one in awe. It's a game that can leave you twisted with its unflinching difficulty but have you coming back for more in order to perfect the skill it takes to be victorious on the battlefield. Also, somewhat gleefully, it teases you with neat crescendos of ease to lull you into thinking you've got it mastered until you lay wasted, once again, at the hands of a Muton or shimmering disc of instant death. The multiplayer is impeccable and leaves one thinking that it might just be the only game that can outshine some of the first person shooters so many are playing right now. The only glaring hiccup seems to come in the form of deceptive cover. You just never feel comfortable seeing your Squaddie ripped to bits while he stands confidently behind an abandoned tank or brick wall but, even this, could simply be attributed to not adapting to the "feel" of the game. Such a refreshing break away from the usual and a must-have for anyone fond of gaming. A true classic in its guile. Expand
  57. Oct 11, 2012
    As an avid PC gamer from my teenage years until now, I was a big fan of the original XCOM and Jagged Alliance games. I also loved turn based games like Fallout 1 & 2 and Silent Storm. In recent years I was pretty much resigned to the seemingly inevitable fact that there would be no more turn based games made, simply for the fact that games like that haven't been hits on consoles. PlayingAs an avid PC gamer from my teenage years until now, I was a big fan of the original XCOM and Jagged Alliance games. I also loved turn based games like Fallout 1 & 2 and Silent Storm. In recent years I was pretty much resigned to the seemingly inevitable fact that there would be no more turn based games made, simply for the fact that games like that haven't been hits on consoles. Playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown has restored my faith that not all game genres are dead. The game is a great reimagining of the original, and the streamlined bits eliminated some of the tedious aspects from the original. The combat could have a bit more strategic depth like Silent Storm but overall the difficulty and pace of the gameplay is outstanding. I hope XCOM sells well as I would love an expansion or sequel to this game. Expand
  58. Oct 12, 2012
    I am completely baffled by some of the low reviews. This game is great! It captures the essence of the original XCOM games but has been updated and polished. I hear some people say there are no tactics involved. Are they playing the same game?? What makes a great game is the ability to customize, to have autonomy and make meaningful choices. This game has all 3. Combat has been simplifiedI am completely baffled by some of the low reviews. This game is great! It captures the essence of the original XCOM games but has been updated and polished. I hear some people say there are no tactics involved. Are they playing the same game?? What makes a great game is the ability to customize, to have autonomy and make meaningful choices. This game has all 3. Combat has been simplified to a degree but not to a point where it feels dumbed down. I am playing this on the PC and utterly enjoy it. Expand
  59. Oct 13, 2012
    This game is everything I expected from a modern day remake of a classic. The best parts have been kept such as research, resource management, engineering and base building. Combat at first glance may appear to have been dumbed down by reducing your squad size and taking away movement points, but obvious thought and detail has been put into it and frankly, it works better than theThis game is everything I expected from a modern day remake of a classic. The best parts have been kept such as research, resource management, engineering and base building. Combat at first glance may appear to have been dumbed down by reducing your squad size and taking away movement points, but obvious thought and detail has been put into it and frankly, it works better than the original! As many others have stated, the promotions and advancement of your soldiers is greatly satisfying and makes you care about your guys. Great, great game. Well worth the purchase price. Expand
  60. Oct 9, 2012
    a true spiritual succesor to the infamous x-com. a brialliant game that my as well along starcraft be the savoir of rts genre on the pc, a genre many claimed to be dying. This game, along with dishonored will keep you busy. PC gamers rejoice, x-com is here to stay.
  61. Oct 13, 2012
    As an old fan of the original XCOM game Im very pleased to see that this game brings the heart of the original into a real smooth and fun new game. That being said, its not the original game with new graphics, its a new game. That aside its just as captivating and time absorbing as the original. My guess is that there is over a hundred hours of fun in this game, so I see my money wellAs an old fan of the original XCOM game Im very pleased to see that this game brings the heart of the original into a real smooth and fun new game. That being said, its not the original game with new graphics, its a new game. That aside its just as captivating and time absorbing as the original. My guess is that there is over a hundred hours of fun in this game, so I see my money well spend. - My wife and job disagrees of cause. A solid 10 from me to a game that shows, that a good idea don't always involve MMO to become a great game. Sometimes the idea is so good that it can carry itself for over 18 years ;) Expand
  62. Oct 13, 2012
    Well done Firaxis! Amazing work. I would have rated with 95%, however rounding gives a 10. I have over 20hours of gameplay and haven't encountered a single bug. I don't know, since when I had to see something like this. 1990s or when? My only point of criticism or better nostalgia is the ability of the aliens to invade your base... Most of the concept has been reworked and overall improvedWell done Firaxis! Amazing work. I would have rated with 95%, however rounding gives a 10. I have over 20hours of gameplay and haven't encountered a single bug. I don't know, since when I had to see something like this. 1990s or when? My only point of criticism or better nostalgia is the ability of the aliens to invade your base... Most of the concept has been reworked and overall improved e.g. no more insane macromanagement is needed. Micromanagement is a lot more tactical and action orientated and a lot less logistic. It is definitely the best turn based strategy of the decade. Keep up the good work Mr. Solomon! You managed to revive Microprose from its ashes. I gave you a 10, but now we are expecting to see XCOM: Terror from the Deep. ;-) Long live turn-based strategy games! Long live XCOM series! Expand
  63. Oct 10, 2012
    Played XCom in every form since 1990/91.
    This game is excellent.
    Flaws limited unit tactics, and some very small maps (though some are big) most map sizes are fine. Good things very nice graphics easy play for people new to the game. Kept very close to all the things I like about XCOM whilst I accept todays market is not the 20 year old market that had no problem with complicated and
    Played XCom in every form since 1990/91.
    This game is excellent.
    Good things very nice graphics easy play for people new to the game. Kept very close to all the things I like about XCOM whilst I accept todays market is not the 20 year old market that had no problem with complicated and steep learning curves.
    Accessable to all gamers which I like super multiplayer fun. Will be even better multiplayer when all the game formats let the game team create multi format - multiplayer.
    Loving the game loving the fact its obvious that the coders played and liked the series.
    Looking forward to completing it on the Ironman/impossible mode I am playing at the moment.
    The AI is very challenging in the harder modes but that means you must accept your troops will die (often). I give it 9.3/10 in the hope future DLC or a second game improve unit tactic choices and increase the map size's throughout. Though as it stands from a stuanch XCOM fan thumbs up :)
  64. Oct 10, 2012
    Don't let the nostalgic grumps fool you. They beat off to reams of tables and pointless micromanagement and wouldn't know good, solid game design if it had its way with their cat. This game is extremely good and is head and shoulders better than the original. Only nostalgic people and toothpick-counting sperglords have reason to complain.

The only truly bad change is the weird

The only truly bad change is the weird "encounter script" where the aliens run for cover.
  65. Oct 13, 2012
    An awesome game - difficult (on classic at least), complex and demanding. After terribly disappointing CIV V Firaxis finally released deep and fun TBS. There is a lot of decisions to be made and different setups to try out, but beware: the game will punish your severely for your mistakes - an approach that is the heart of old games from '90 and that is seldom found in modern titles. It isAn awesome game - difficult (on classic at least), complex and demanding. After terribly disappointing CIV V Firaxis finally released deep and fun TBS. There is a lot of decisions to be made and different setups to try out, but beware: the game will punish your severely for your mistakes - an approach that is the heart of old games from '90 and that is seldom found in modern titles. It is more in line with last UFO serie (Afterlight, Aftermath, Aftershock) than with the original, but that is not necessary a bad thing. The game is great, although not ideal - camera does not work well sometimes and is overall rather unresponsive. On top of that the variety of maps is poor and they become repetitive quite fast. Also I have no idea how moddable the game is and in the long run it is up to the mods to keep this game alive. This does not change the fact that XCOM is the best game of this year so far for me. Expand
  66. Oct 15, 2012
    A great attempt by Firaxis to modernize the X-COM franchise. While there are some bugs, i have not encountered any game-breaking bugs yet after 20+ hrs of playing. Game has being simplified from the original XCOM UFO Defense but in my opinion its still pretty fun. From conducting risky flanking maneuvers against powerful aliens behind cover, to breaching rooms not knowing what is behindA great attempt by Firaxis to modernize the X-COM franchise. While there are some bugs, i have not encountered any game-breaking bugs yet after 20+ hrs of playing. Game has being simplified from the original XCOM UFO Defense but in my opinion its still pretty fun. From conducting risky flanking maneuvers against powerful aliens behind cover, to breaching rooms not knowing what is behind the door, the tactical gameplay is very enjoyable. On the strategic level, the game challenges you to juggle your limited resources but the main thing i dislike is how fast the panic levels of the countries can fill up, forcing most players to rush for uplinks and satellite coverage early in the game (satellite coverage will prevent abduction missions from popping up in that country, which is important for controlling panic) I like the good graphics and ambient effects but dislike the limited no. of maps (although they are mostly quite well designed) This game's combat music is nothing short of amazing, and the aliens sound effects/audio prompts does a good job at keeping you in suspense on whats behind the next corner. Overall i think this game is worth the money and everyone who is interested in tactical games should give it a go.

For those who slam the game because it is not XCOM UFO Defence with updated graphics, please be mature and rate this game by its own merits and faults and not because it isn't what you want it to be.
  67. Oct 21, 2012
    Game is epicly Awesome!! It is a nice moderate RTS turn stylish game and I love it. It is new I have never played anything like it, an I an completely enjoying it! I can not wait till they do DLC or expansions or another one!
  68. Oct 16, 2012
    Unfortunately, it looks like this game is slightly shadowed by a small number of 'comic book guy' types that are trying to compare this game to something made in 1995, that really can't be compared to. Not having played the old xcom games (face it, they are ugly, and if you disagree, then why are you even trying this), I can rate this game without previous bias. So far after only playingUnfortunately, it looks like this game is slightly shadowed by a small number of 'comic book guy' types that are trying to compare this game to something made in 1995, that really can't be compared to. Not having played the old xcom games (face it, they are ugly, and if you disagree, then why are you even trying this), I can rate this game without previous bias. So far after only playing for a few days, this game is extremely addictive, and fun. It is hard for me to enjoy a single player game (usually get board within an hour), so it is rare and refreshing to play a game that takes me in, and this reminds me of the first time I played Civilization. I'm sure there are some bugs, but overall the game seems very well thought through, and I really like the design decisions on what you can build, customize, and choose. After a couple hours you'll feel like you're responsible with defending the earth from aliens, and that's pretty cool. If you're in doubt, wait a while and get it when it's cheaper. Expand
  69. Oct 12, 2012
    The original X-COM updated and expanded to a level that will make you cry... If you are a fan of the original, sure this new version will satisfy all this years of waiting and bad clones...
  70. Oct 12, 2012
    One of the best strategy games I have played in the last few years. It's fun, addicting, and your choices have real consequences. Soldier deaths are permanent and wow is the game hard when you ratchet up the difficulty. Fireaxis made a brilliant game and I can't wait for further installments.
  71. Oct 16, 2012
    Gran remake del original, pocas cosas le fallan. Es el XCOM de 1993 con mejores gráficos y unas mecánicas de juego mejoradas. Las batallas tácticas son geniales y con una profundidad estratégica que cumple perfectamente. Te enganchara desde el principio y te hará estar jugando turnos hasta altas horas de la madrugada. Si tiene algo negativo tal vez sea laGran remake del original, pocas cosas le fallan. Es el XCOM de 1993 con mejores gráficos y unas mecánicas de juego mejoradas. Las batallas tácticas son geniales y con una profundidad estratégica que cumple perfectamente. Te enganchara desde el principio y te hará estar jugando turnos hasta altas horas de la madrugada. Si tiene algo negativo tal vez sea la rejugabilidad algunas misiones son iguales aunque hay 70 diferentes. Un juego de 9,9 si señor. Expand
  72. Oct 12, 2012
    I loved the original back in the mid 90's. I was completely addicted to that game and to see it remade I am so so happy. Its a great game to boot Fireaxis makes such excellent strategy titles. There was no better candidate to remake XCom.
  73. Oct 14, 2012
    Before sharing my two coppers, I took some significant time to read through both good and not so good comments by the respected fellow gamers. And the truth is I agree with both points of view. You will notice either near-10 and near-0 scores, which is absolutely normal. For the guys expected to play the Xcom of the past with newly made graphics, I confirm this is not the case. For thoseBefore sharing my two coppers, I took some significant time to read through both good and not so good comments by the respected fellow gamers. And the truth is I agree with both points of view. You will notice either near-10 and near-0 scores, which is absolutely normal. For the guys expected to play the Xcom of the past with newly made graphics, I confirm this is not the case. For those judging the game as an effort to "translate" the concept with today's means and way the gamer has evolved (with all the pros and cons that this involves), I agree with your high scores.

To make a long story, short this is Xcom, with upgraded graphics and gameplay that (unfortunately) is not encountered today. Only the fact that a game focused on turn-based, non-10 year old-maniac-clicking way of playing deserves respect and should be supported if we want to see similar efforts in the future. This game is a proof that you can get gaming-satisfaction for using your head instead of your reflexes (and believe me, after 25 years of gaming, your reflexes are significantly reduced!), so a solid BRAVO with the relevant score by yours truly ;-)
  74. Oct 15, 2012
    It's been a long time since we got a good turn based game on the PC, brings a tear of happiness to my eyes.

Also, needs more different shades of pink, so i can rice out my squad.
  75. Oct 16, 2012
    Now this is what I'm talking about. A real game with real strategy and a real challenge. Very happy with this game - can't stop playing it. Don't want to stop. Get it right now.
  76. Oct 12, 2012
    Could have been slightly more compelling as an heir to the X-Com legacy, but still one of the best Xbox 360 games of all time. Lots of fun, with a few glitches here and there.
  77. Oct 17, 2012
    As a fan of the original X-Com Apocalipse game I have to say: This game just felt absolutely right! I love every aspect of it: from the modern, fast paced gameplay to the many different ways to play the game.
    Yes, the net playtime is not as long as in the original X-Com games, but the hours that I played (42.5) were filled with enough amazing moments to forgive that.
    Now there's just one
    Now there's just one question left: Where's the expansion with several bases and more development?
  78. Oct 17, 2012
    As an old-timer, I've played (and worked on) some of the clones. Ignore the naysayers, this one beats the pack by a long shot. I'm a little cut up about loss of multiple bases and inventories, but I think the overall experience is much more fluid and focused on the importance of each and every move.

The pros: no more endless searching for the last bad guy (the original and every clone has this problem); xcom soldier skilling is much more combinable, diverse and important; cover actually means reduced chance to hit, visibility is not an on/off probability; the base, research and engineering is more ingrained into the story, and is compelling - this is IMO a very un-firaxis quality that they managed to get right; lots of meaningless cruft was removed.. this isn't a weapons manufacturing simulation afterall.

The cons: isometric soldier placement controls and wall/ceiling occlusion is glitchy. I actually disagree with old-timers saying they miss random maps - I think the original did it fairly well, but sometimes it really degraded the quality of smaller missions.

It's surprising that they pulled off something as good as this, all considering, and it's a lot better than other games rated over 90.
  79. Oct 14, 2012
    Outstanding remake that managed to capture everything that was good in the original, leave out a lot of what held it back in areas, and even add new engaging features and subtleties in a modern, graphically appealing wrapper. Even if you know nothing of the original this game stands on its own.
  80. Oct 15, 2012
    This game is basically chess, only your pieces are space marines and your enemies are aliens. Throw in some additional strategy elements and you have a game that's easy to love. I love strategy, and it has always made me sad that there wasn't much of a selection in modern turn based strategy games. Well, this game delivers it and is phenomenal! I had always wanted to try the original XCOM,This game is basically chess, only your pieces are space marines and your enemies are aliens. Throw in some additional strategy elements and you have a game that's easy to love. I love strategy, and it has always made me sad that there wasn't much of a selection in modern turn based strategy games. Well, this game delivers it and is phenomenal! I had always wanted to try the original XCOM, and after playing this game I will. Expand
  81. Oct 24, 2012
    Overly simplified, some serious camera issues, with a simple-yet-clunky UI, and the overall turn mechanic feels more disjointed than the Aftermath--Afterlight implementation. But the fact that I just didn't want to stop playing last night can't be ignored either.
  82. Oct 13, 2013
    I resisted buying this game for some time, but picked it up during a good Steam sale. Glad I did! Although I never played the original XCOM all the talk of the dumbing down of the game worried me. I cant talk to it as a comparison to the original, but overall in its current form it is fun.

Most missions feel short, but in a good way, you can boot up the game and do a quick mission while working on something else, or do some base management. I would have like a more detailed record for my squad mates (Kills, date of promotions, awards being given, times wounded) but at least the memorial is a nice touch.

Even well after this game came out it is worth picking up in my opinion.
  83. Oct 17, 2013
    I liked the game, but not enough to finish it. One of the problems was that the base building wasn't really explained, so I had to restart 10 hours in because I didn't realise that the effect of placing like-structures next to each other was cumulative. Consequently, I lost half the council in one month due to an inability to launch satellites. There's also a case to be made that the gameI liked the game, but not enough to finish it. One of the problems was that the base building wasn't really explained, so I had to restart 10 hours in because I didn't realise that the effect of placing like-structures next to each other was cumulative. Consequently, I lost half the council in one month due to an inability to launch satellites. There's also a case to be made that the game over-emphasises a slow defensive approach this makes battles take far longer as you tediously move each squad member forward between alien encounters. It's not a massive problem for most of the game, but then you get to the final the story missions, one of which is basically a long, long corridor. It's just tedious moving your guys forwards. In the end, I just got sick of moving guys around arbitrarily and packed it in. Still had a fun 20 hrs with the game, which is pretty huge given I'm not a strategy fan. Expand
  84. Dec 19, 2012
    XCOM is basically a flawed classic, it needed to be made to reboot one of the best game series in the strategy hall of fame, but they have messed up in some areas, none of which spoilt the game for me. I bought my first PC as a teenager when the original UFO Enemy Unknown came out, it was that good... now about 15 years or so later the remake is out and it's pretty faithful while trimmingXCOM is basically a flawed classic, it needed to be made to reboot one of the best game series in the strategy hall of fame, but they have messed up in some areas, none of which spoilt the game for me. I bought my first PC as a teenager when the original UFO Enemy Unknown came out, it was that good... now about 15 years or so later the remake is out and it's pretty faithful while trimming down some aspects. The game is a lot faster paced than the original, whih is a good thing, but they took some of the freedom out of the game in doing so.... it was nice to fully customise loadouts in the original game, that is now pretty much gone and a very basic system replaces it...I don't really miss the action point system as the new mode it generally better. The biggest issues with the game are more to do with game balancing which can often be stupidly unfair and unrealstic, it seems a 90+% hit chance more often than not will statistically fail more than it succeeds, so feels like you get cheated by the game quite a lot..... Other main issues are to do with terrain problems with rendering, but most of that was fixed in the last patch. Expand
  85. Nov 13, 2012
    Its a Good Game.. but over hyped.. its turn based squad strategy which is always fun, but I think this will lack long term appeal. Also the Gfx are a little lack lustre
  86. Jan 15, 2013
    I truly get a kick out of all the old-school X-COM snobs blasting this game for not being more true to the original. Its not supposed to be the original. There are certainly problems with the game. Sure, you don't get to use nearly as many troops in a mission as the original, and depending on the difficulty you choose, it's not nearly as hard. I found myself wondering why I couldn'tI truly get a kick out of all the old-school X-COM snobs blasting this game for not being more true to the original. Its not supposed to be the original. There are certainly problems with the game. Sure, you don't get to use nearly as many troops in a mission as the original, and depending on the difficulty you choose, it's not nearly as hard. I found myself wondering why I couldn't sell old weapons and equipment I was no longer using, and it bothered me that the troops from different nations all speak American English. But these are just quibbles. It is still a good game. It is a shame when people judge it through the rose-tinted glasses of youth. The old X-COM is difficult to play now, in terms of interface, graphics, and overall difficulty. This new interpretation of the game is streamlined, yes, but not necessarily in a bad way. Also if one finds this game too easy, I challenge you to take on the Ironman setting with the newly activated 2nd Wave options enabled, preferably on Classic or Impossible. There is no need to 'defend the honor' of the original X-COM; this is not that game. This XCOM is its own game, and quite a good one at that. Expand
  87. Oct 17, 2013
    I am not a turn-base game player, but this one caught my eye. It was on sale at steam for around 10.00 USD. I jumped on it. I can't put it down. The reason I didn't give it a 10 is because I play on easy mode since I am not to familiar with TBS games, but as it turns out, the game becomes difficult, very difficult.
    Also, Scenarios always change and it is not repetitious, at least not at
    Also, Scenarios always change and it is not repetitious, at least not at the level I am at.
    Warning: Do not name your soldiers with Family names. You will end up restarting and becoming sad when they die. LOL
    Great game. If it ever goes on sale at Steam again, grab it. Don't pass this one up
  88. Dec 23, 2012
    Very solid game. A little to simplified compared to the original for true greatness, yet still a good game and fun to play. It does a lot of things right and the tactical combat can be a blast at times. Recommended for anyone interested in those kind of games. One of only a few non-indie games these year worth buying.
  89. Nov 24, 2012
    Before I judge this game on how well of a remake it is, I consider that it is an entirely new game, years from the original. In the same fashion that the Fallout series was adopted into mainstream play with Fallout 3, this continuation of the XCOM series pulls a similar trick. XCOM: Enemy Unknown features excellent gameplay and a pretty neat storyline. The risk/reward of each action isBefore I judge this game on how well of a remake it is, I consider that it is an entirely new game, years from the original. In the same fashion that the Fallout series was adopted into mainstream play with Fallout 3, this continuation of the XCOM series pulls a similar trick. XCOM: Enemy Unknown features excellent gameplay and a pretty neat storyline. The risk/reward of each action is clearly defined and once you have the formula figured out its mostly grinding missions until game completion. Multiplayer is not a feature worth going out of your way for, with the same mechanic as single player in action, however it is still a mechanic worth grabbing a friend or two to enjoy with. The gameplay I give a high score for it is fun, exciting, and held my attention for hours. The PC controls are the biggest negative, with UI reacting poorly to mouse inputs and many options requiring two clicks to register. Menus are sticky and don't update quick enough. The character models are a bit goofy and many visual bugs in solider models and squad customization aggravate me a lot. Despite the visual hitches, the gameplay is solid and stable. One poor gameplay decision can domino a mission quickly out of control, giving this game a tense edge and making every level a risk and a thrill. I give this game an 8, with high overall quality at a price I can appreciate, but losing points for many visual and interface bugs. Expand
  90. Oct 22, 2013
    I can't believe I waited a year to play this title. This is a stunning, stunning game. I can't speak of the older X-COM games as it was before my time, but I'm really surprised that this reboot is getting ANY negative reviews whatsoever.

The major complaint seems to be that it's "dumbed down" from fans of the overall franchise. I don't think this is the case. The difficulty level here is fine; I can imagine it's been streamlined somewhat to make it more accessible to the modern gamer, but that was to be expected. X-COM fans of old need to ask themselves a question; would you rather have a game that has a multitude of vaguely thought out features that could foreseeably ruin the project, or a streamlined experience which is highly polished and still a challenge worthy of the franchise?

Because XCOM: EU is a top, top strategy title. There's no doubt in my mind that Firaxis have done this franchise proud here. I'll go back and play the older titles, and I'll probably prefer them too, but there's no reason to hate on this game at all.
  91. Nov 25, 2012
    The fair rating for this game is 8,5 (9 is too much, so I give 8). I didn't play the original UFO, so this is my first time trying these series. I liked the micromanagement of the base and the planet, I'd say that in some way it's even more interesting than the missions. The main negative thing is the bugs of aiming/chance-to-hit: you can miss point-blank or the enemy can crit you fromThe fair rating for this game is 8,5 (9 is too much, so I give 8). I didn't play the original UFO, so this is my first time trying these series. I liked the micromanagement of the base and the planet, I'd say that in some way it's even more interesting than the missions. The main negative thing is the bugs of aiming/chance-to-hit: you can miss point-blank or the enemy can crit you from afar and vice versa. Also I had Sectopod standing in the square where the door was ans my soldiers couldn't unlock that door. The other thing I wanted to mention is the messed up ending. But in total the game is enjoyable and fun to play. Expand
  92. Oct 30, 2012
    While not as good as the original, this game is quite enjoyable and keeps the spirit of the original. The combat system has changed a lot but in a good way. I finished the game on normal and started a game in Classic - Ironman. However, the classic mode seems a little outbalanced and it seems to required a specific order in the research/development to succeed since the clock is ticking asWhile not as good as the original, this game is quite enjoyable and keeps the spirit of the original. The combat system has changed a lot but in a good way. I finished the game on normal and started a game in Classic - Ironman. However, the classic mode seems a little outbalanced and it seems to required a specific order in the research/development to succeed since the clock is ticking as the countries get invaded and removed their support to your cause. Expand
  93. Nov 20, 2012
    A great mix of old and new. If you are looking for a remake of the classic games, this is not it. However if you are looking for a nice blend of the old school tactical feel with the ease for anyone to pickup and get started that is the norm for today you should be presently surprised.

Starting off the game looks good, not amazing but good. It controls very smoothly with both keyboard/mouse and gamepad (using a 360 controller). Do watch out for a few graphics glitches with SLI, the last update fixed most of these but I would still recommend running single card if you can.

The game itself is infinitely replayable. On the easiest settings most anyone can can pick it up and play it. As you adjust difficulty you can find a fair challenge for all skill types. The constant threat of loosing one of your favorite soldiers, or having a country withdraw provides a great base level of tension where every decision matters. Enabling the iron man feature ups this even more by not allowing you to load up old saves, preventing you from going back if you screw up.

The game is not perfect. Another soldier class or two would be nice (there are 4). A few more maps would also be nice (roughly 20 maps). It does seem like they are adding to both of these via DLC if that is something that interests you. For me what really makes the game a 9 out of 10 is bang for the buck. Because encounters are random, certain events are random, which map you get is random, where you enter it is somewhat random (each map seems to have 3 or 4 start points), every play through is different. I spent about 80 hours with the game before I shelved it, even then I plan to come back to the game from time to time for several years to come. There are just few games that offer such a long lasting value.
  94. Nov 30, 2012
    This is a great turn based strategy game. I really like the ironman mode where every decision you take may have an impact on the outcome. I wish more games like this would be made.
  95. Aug 16, 2013
    I like the idea of this remake well executed really good graphics, cover system works beautifully you feel really attached to your soldiers simply well done
    that being said ,as an XCOM fun I can say I really am missing the ability to send a group of 10 -15 soldiers to the battle
    or manage more then one base hopefully this features will be added in future XCOM games for now GREAT
    or manage more then one base
    hopefully this features will be added in future XCOM games
    for now GREAT FUN GAME
    if you're not playing it ,you are missing out
  96. Dec 13, 2012
    Xcom enemy unknown is an not your average game. It's not a first person shooter, but a turn based strategy. You get to name, and customize you characters and end up bummed out when one dies. The game never gets repetitive. They have new missions, and new and awesome stuff to build. Another great thing is the aliens. Love the aliens. The aliens steal the show, in Xcom and make you excitedXcom enemy unknown is an not your average game. It's not a first person shooter, but a turn based strategy. You get to name, and customize you characters and end up bummed out when one dies. The game never gets repetitive. They have new missions, and new and awesome stuff to build. Another great thing is the aliens. Love the aliens. The aliens steal the show, in Xcom and make you excited whenever you encounter a new one you haven't seen before. They have sections, which are aliens that look like paul from the movie Paul(2011), then you have thin man, which are much like slender man, and my favorite, the Chryssalids, which are much like the Xenomorphs from Alien (1979). So, definitely check it out. Expand
  97. Dec 18, 2012
    One of the best remakes of an old game in recent years. Thoroughly enjoyable in many areas and a great turned based game !
    It is a bit different to the old 1993 version, and is more streamlined for modern gamers.

The only reason it has not scored higher in my mind is the use of DLC that is expensive and does very little.
  98. Dec 19, 2012
    Been waiting for this game for a while. A big UFO enemy unknown fan I had hopes this game would be just as enjoyable. I have only 1 playthrough so far but enjoyed it immensely. A great game indeed
  99. Dec 31, 2012
    I'm not one for giving big wraps on a game, but XCOM:EU is really deserving of high praise. Graphics great, emersiveness great, strategy great, very clever AI, and just A+ fun for the armchair general.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.