8.1

1. Mar 8, 2014
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality. It was a long time since i had a game with more than 50 hours of playing in a week. Since i never play the X-COM classics before, i'm not the one who gonna spit on that game because of some lack of fidelity from the original series, which seems to be what people was most criticizing about. Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and it's not so well explored. You'll have to manage resources, research alien materials, train and customize your soldiers, capture aliens alive to study them, build facilities, weapons, gadgets, robots, all kind of features to help you to deal with an unknown alien menace.

The biggest part of this game is at turn-based strategy battles, with a third person point of view on shooting enemies or doing another actions.

I got some minor bugs, mostly concerned the camera movement, which can be very annoying some times, but nothing truly deal breaker.
  2. Jan 17, 2013
    Although the game has a few issues, it is truly amazing. It has been designed really well. As a game developer myself I can see that the creators at Firaxis have really worked hard on the game. The story progression is well made and the different types of soldiers are balanced perfectly. Although killing aliens during fights is based on luck it is extremely important how you position your soldiers. Tactics are much more important than luck in this game.
    What I love the most in this game is that no two battlefields (maps) are the same, with the exception of some of the UFO assault missions. What I don't like however are the air to air fights where you have only very little over what's happening.
    Overall, this game is a must-buy. It is one of the very few turn-based strategies that are really well made.
  3. Jul 3, 2013
    Fantastic game 9.5/10.
    It has good story, great character progression, excellent gameplay and good replayability.
    Missions offer great tactical challenge to everybody who love to employ their tactics and strategy in approaching and eliminating enemies. Turn based system fits perfectly into this and never before have i played turn based game which offers so many smart tactical decisions
    and i played many :D!
    When not on missions u are given control of XCOM base where u plan constructions, researches, craft items etc. all to help u in your fight against alien invaders. All this involves smart strategic approach for your enemy is strong and far more advanced than u.
    To those who like all mentioned above and are prepared to dig in recommend classic difficulty. Have FUN!
  4. Jan 18, 2013
    Download this game Friday night, and when you next look at the clock it'll be Monday morning. This is a game that combines a mix of: a Civilization-style politics and research manager in the overworld; a Sim ____-style base builder and economy manager; and a tabletop-style, fast-paced real-time-tactics shooter. It features a wide variety of enemies revealed in an engaging plot, and small squads of fragile, expendable rookies and hardened veteran soldiers on brutal missions. Even on Normal difficulty, you Expand
  5. Feb 1, 2013
    This game is awsesome! The best remake i´ve ever seen.
  6. Feb 6, 2013
    Me encanta el juego, es super entretenido, entre investigación, fabricación de armas y mejoras, entrenamiento de soldados y su estrategia, no te aburrres ni un segundo.
  7. Mar 25, 2013
    If there's one thing I dislike in gaming genres, it's strategy games. Just pointing and clicking, it feels a bit meaningless. NOT in "XCOM: Enemy Unknown". You control a base with a researchlab, scientists, soldiers and all the Science Fiction goodiness! Even some of the easiest mission may provide the "rookies" among us for a real challenge, due to intelligent AI and clever combat mechanics. A mindchanging game for me! Expand
  8. Mar 7, 2013
    Loved original X-COM in 90's. This one is definitely not just a remake with contemporary graphics, it's a different game. It is still great as such. I do feel that it was somewhat over-simplified compared to original, especially missed are the inventory and picking up enemy weapons. Still, it provides a great tactical depth, and you have to actually think on your moves, instead of just clicking things very fast. Expand
  9. May 10, 2013
    I see a lot of hate on this game for being dumbed down. Some people tend to forget that the original XCOM was unforgivably hard.

XCOM EU is a fun romp down memory lane with a few flaws but so many goodies that far outweigh them. Its not the original, its a new game in its image and I think it does a good job.
  10. Wim
    Jul 2, 2013
    It is true that it there could have been a little more options but honestly this is the best game in it's genre since Jagged Alliance 2. BY FAR. It is addictive, fun, frustration free and there's plenty of options to make it challenging if you want it to be. I've been waiting for this game for so long and I'm happy I finally found some time to play it. I only put it down today to eat it's that addictive. Expand
  11. May 16, 2013
    While never having played any previous XCOM games I can say that this is a fantastic game. A great blend of action, tactics and strategy with some great cut-scenes and storyline thrown in. Is the game dumbed-down and shallow? Not in my opinion. It's got some simplistic elements in the same way that Civ 5 simplified the economy aspects of that series but this XCOM offering should give enough depth for all but the most ardent strategy fan. The combat system would become slightly repetitive but for the constant stream of new unlocks (both in terms of weaponry and abilities) and new enemies. There's also goals to aim towards that advance the storyline.

If you've played XCOM previously then perhaps this is just not for you as nostalgia may get in the way. For everyone else, this is a fantastic game well worth the money.
  12. Jun 10, 2013
    I have never played any other XCOM game, but this game is fantastic. It is a surprisingly addicting turn-based strategy. Unlike other turn-based strategies, it has more modern graphics. I liked the mission variations, the upgrades system, the base, the action, everything. The game is the highlight of the year for me.
  13. Jun 25, 2013
    Without a doubt XCOM: Enemy Unknown is one of the better games that have come out recently. It manages to create very athmospheric gaming experience. Especially during first play through, I was genuinely scared since I didn't know what to expect.

One of the key aspects of the game is managing your base and soldiers, which is lots of fun. Soldiers are very customizable and gain
    experience from missions so you can level them up. You get attached to them and it can be upsetting when you loose them in battle. The game very is streamlined and everything works intuitively. Item management is a bit cumbersome, but otherwise I had no issues with gaming interface.

The alien design (although a bit cartoony) is also great. Almost all aliens can be devastating in their own way and you can rarely take any enemy troops lightly. Some aliens like cryssalids, berserkers and PSI-using aliens force you act quickly and can really bring panicky feeling to missions. After few missions, your really start to fear them.

Main weak point of this game are special missions and maps that quickly become repetitive. Also the plot is rather irrelevant after one play through. Still the game has good replay value and gives lots of playtime compared many other titles.

NOTE: I haven't played the original XCOM games (altough I've seen gameplay video etc.) so I reviewed this title as independent game.
  14. Jun 25, 2013
    I bought this game on Steam and i had no idea what i was going into. But when i started the game it was fantastic! The gameplay was really cool and i had alot of cool characters. Had is the keyword here because they all died The graphics was also pretty good. I didnt really listen to the story because im stupid. There is ALOT of replay value. And theres multiplayer. The multiplayer was ok, but not as fantastic is the single player Expand
  15. Oct 6, 2013
    XCOM Enemy Unknown is a truly unique strategy game. With the countless "strategy" games that are dumbed down to the point where everyone can beat the hardest mode in a single long weekend, this is a breath of fresh air. You can actually lose the game and have to start over completely! I missed those games. Not only do you need to plan out moves in missions, but you need to plan out long term political and investment strategies. You can't make everyone (Countries in the game, resources, etc) happy. You need to strike a balance that will ensure long term success. The actual combat is great as well. It is turn based, and primarily about positioning and using the right weapons at the right time. Weapon choices could have used a bit more strategy, but missions are still fun. When you screw up and get a team member killed, they are dead. You can run out of soldiers in the long run if too reckless. You can also save at any time, so short term mistakes are fixable, long term ones are not. Expand
  16. Aug 5, 2013
    Still probably the most enjoyable time-sink in my library. Not perfect, can be a little buggy, but the fun factor completely outweighs this fact. Tonnes of replay value too and the expansions add a bunch of new maps which is a nice touch
  17. Sep 6, 2013
    Xcom: Enemy Unknown like its predecessor is a well-crafted turn-based strategy game. Here is the story so far: Some nasty aliens have invaded earth and it’s time for humanity to fight back, the elite unit known as XCOM is ready for the job and you are the commander, so the destiny of the world is in your hands. How you handle this situation is up to you, from squad management (hiring, promoting, and upgrading your soldiers), alien technology, gear and aircraft research, you probably will have a lot of fun customizing your squad. This game is deep and yes it’s also hard, do not expect any mercy from the AI, even at lower difficulties so you have to play safe and you have to play smart if you want to succeed, also you need to be careful with the resources you manage. Overall, the graphics are nice and the animations are awesome, so if you like turn based strategy games, then you are gonna love this one. Expand
  18. Oct 22, 2013
    There are quite a lot of butthurt original X-Com fanbois on here slamming this game and giving it 0 to 3-score reviews, which is utterly ridiculous. It’s like bashing a modern platformer b/c it doesn’t force you to get through 100 levels on 3 lives. XC: EU isn’t perfect but it’s still a lot of fun and doesn’t deserve to be trashed.

It may not be as complex as the original game but it is
    still very tactical and turn-based, despite many claims here to the contrary. Not sure how some reviewers can compare this to Call of Duty or Mass Effect. Idiotic. There are still difficult decisions to make, as in do you dig open another level of your base, buy another plane, buy another satellite, or research better weapons? Should you investigate that UFO you just shot down or wait b/c your medic & sniper are still recovering from wounds and you’d have to take too many rookies into battle? If you don’t plan & pay attention to what you’re doing, you will have to start all over. You also end up getting attached to your squad members even though they never speak and it’s hard to resist the urge to reload when they die (or when you get faced with a very inconvenient random event between missions one game hour before finishing research on that new armor).

Some here are even complaining about the “cutscenes” during missions which are actually cinematic visuals of your characters doing what you tell them to do. Sorry, I never got tired of the camera zooming in on one of my guys rounding a corner & shotgunning a baddie at point blank range, or my sniper coolly raising up his rifle & blasting another before they could attack a vulnerable squad mate in the next turn. These are a very cool touch.

Where I will knock the game is that battles do feel a bit skewed in the AI’s favor. Whenever you stumble upon the enemy, they always see you and essentially get a free movement turn to shuffle around. So if the last guy you move in a turn happens to be the one the aliens see, they immediately get a free move and then will move right away again since their movement turn just started, which most likely means they will swarm whichever squad member is closest. This makes most levels take a long time unless you reload after finding out where the baddies are, as you don’t want to move around the map too quickly.

And the battles do end up becoming a bit tiresome by the time you reach the end of the game. No way around that after sinking hours & hours into the game.

Overall, though, it’s an excellent game. Regardless of whether or not the original X-Com is better, XC: EU stands on its own as a great experience.
  19. i0n
    Sep 3, 2013
    Quite simply one of the most engaging, well designed games I have played in years. Even those who don't usually play turn-based strategy games will get something from this. The graphics are slick, gameplay mechanics are polished, and there is nothing else in the genre as refined as this title right now. Outstanding game and I can't recommend it enough. Brilliant.
  20. Oct 3, 2013
    Excellent Tactical Rpg. You cant really compare to the older version due to technology, but on its own compared to what available it stands out. Its a very unforgiving difficult combat but that how it should be, people whining its too hard is what lead to dumbdowned games. There was some bugs like MObs spawning on top your team and graphical error when entering alien mothership but they seems to been patched, has good replay ability due to you could always research technology differently, play in different area and 2nd wave. Good hard strategy game Keep it coming and make them harder Expand
  21. Sep 14, 2013
    This is XCOM: Enemy Unknown, not quite like the first one, but a good reboot on it's own. I just miss some features that were on the first game and they didn't include them in this version (multiple bases, alien retaliation attacks, more ships, more weapon tiers...) but still, I've liked the game much. I have like +200 hours played, and always enjoyed it, specially on Classic and Impossible difficulties (always Ironman). If you don't know the series, it's a good introduction, and way less complicated than the first. Buy it. Expand
  22. Oct 2, 2013
    Simplemente brillante. He jugado a casi todos los juegos de la serie, y no recordaba haber disfrutado tanto desde el Apocalypse. Han dado con la tecla, una maravilla en todos los sentidos.
  23. Oct 5, 2013
    Great fast paced game play and the control of your base of operations is awesome, and the ability to rename and customise your squad makes the combat personal
  24. Oct 9, 2013
    hey guys, guess what: it's not a free roaming game! So what? cmon, we know that from 1993! How can you give a 0 for that?? And no, you cannot just click randomly with left mouse button to beat this game (i'd rather say difficulty here is below your average tbs games, imho, not to mention comparing to previous Xcom's).
    It's fun and engrossing. When you start capturing foes to learn their
    weak spots or equipping your soldiers with ultimate weapons and armor, entertainment goes through the ceiling.
    If you think gaming is about fun, get this great product. If you like to dissect everything to test your ability to show off how some cleverness, well you don't belong here. Try rubik's cube or Nouvelle Vague movies.
  25. Oct 13, 2013
    My first XCOM game ever, definitely not the last one. I don't know original XCOM from early '90, but I know that is a bit worse, that the first version (Microprose always made awesome games).
    Game is sometimes too simple (alien's AI could be better), sometimes is too hard (massive misses from soldiers, even with HIGH aim skill). It also have few annoying bugs camera works, hud bugs
    (guard/reload with few soldiers), critical wounded soldiers in final mission or atack on ufo-base. Could have more maps after all, could have more soldiers nations and more countries (if I'm allowed to lose 8 countries from the total number of (about) twenty, it's too easy).
    But, besides that, it's really great piece of work. Not so easy as almost every game this days (even GTA looks too easy, San Andreas was last one really cool piece of hard work), have an AMAZING soundtrack (Michael McCann still sounds amazing, just as he did in DX:HR), and still give you at least 30-50 hours of playing. Including the top difficulty level (which is really tough) and Ironman mode you could gain even about 100 hours of playing. And that is definitely good score.
    One more thing "One more turn" syndrome is absolutely here. It only happens to me with a few games (SCII, Age of Empires, Football Manager), so, at least for me, it's worth buying and playing.
    It could be more difficult to gain access to all discoverable goodies from aliens, but that's probably only mine opinion.
  26. Oct 15, 2013
    This was my first foray into the Xcom genre and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. This game delivers on all levels. Overall I found the game very entertaining. I've almost 80 hours played and still holding my interest. The graphics and music are good. The missions are challenging but fair. The overall game play is great and fun. The only reason this wasn't a 10 is that I would have liked to see some additional tactical choices available on missions and some of the skills you can purchase build off of each other but this is not apparent the first time through (because you can't see the locked skills). Expand
  27. Oct 18, 2013
    Xcom is a great game. Far from perfect. It has those cheap shots, and those 3% never going to hit it shots that really change the entire game. One shot can change everything about a campaign. For the better, or for the worse. Impossible mode is just pure evil... which is why I love playing it
  28. Oct 31, 2013
    This game is superb! It stay's true to the spirit of the XCOM game we love from the early 90's. Despite some persistent glitches or inaccuracies. It is still a great game that is replay worthy. I have spent over 300 hours on this game as of this writing and still find it challenging, engrossing, and enjoyable.
  29. Nov 22, 2013
    Very good game, and is a good tradition holder from the original xcom. It does not has many flaws, Mainly i would have prefered to be able to play with more than 6 soldiers at a time, and the lack of alien assault in the player base removes one of the best moments in the original game. But it is solid and very well done.
  30. Dec 23, 2013
    This game is an excellent product. A good reboot and remake of the original XCOM videogame. This is what we needed to play again against the Alien invaders. It is immersive, difficult and well balanced. Definitely a must have both for nostalgists and for strategy gamers alike
  31. Dec 1, 2013
    I LOVE THIS GAME. I've never played any of the predecessors prior to XCOM Enemy Unknown and this game straight injected addiction into my ready and open veins. After I downloaded and started playing..... I.... could.....not.....get off of it. If you like tactical turn based strategy. THIS GAME IS A MUST!!! Only thing I didn't like about it... was there is no auto save feature.... so pro tip: SAVE OFTEN.
    it'll prevent headaches lol

GREAT GAME
  32. Jan 8, 2014
    I haven't really played the old XCOM and I'll sound like a fan boy, but I'll keep this review short. This game is very fun and some what frustrating but is only because I was losing when I played on hard mode and getting my butt handed to me. All I can say is if you like RST games or military (REAL) simulation either way, and if you want to get away from the Call Duty generation or the FPS games this is the game for you. Expand
  33. Jan 8, 2014
    Just finished my first play through of this game and I have to say it was well worth the money. I picked it up for 10 dollars during the Steam Xmas sale and after finishing it, I would say it's worth full price. If you like turn based tactical games then buy this game. You get to build your force as you like, recruiting your troops, upgrading them through combat and upgrading their weapons and armor through research/capturing/killing the enemies. I found the game play on the challenging side, but I enjoy that in turn based tactical games. Expand
  34. Jan 23, 2014
    I personally didn't like strategy games until i played Xcom:Enemy Unknown.With updated graphic and a nice gameplay.even though it's not a 100% remake of the UFO:EU,It's still fantastic.With improve combat system and tactical system.
  35. Feb 14, 2014
    I never played old xcom, but it don't regret that. This game has some bugs like shooting through walls, weird angles of shooting, very rare freeze after animations, but overall game is fantastic :) On the higher levels with second wave options game i really hard and requiring. Maybe there's not many options as it old xcom had, but in my opinion there's a lot of things and research to obtain :)
  36. Feb 14, 2014
    I love this game, every character you make gets you attached to them, i already have completed it, and its just... BEYOND amazing! I love all the different alien types and i would not be playing it if it weren't for a youtuber!

Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.