8.2

1. Oct 9, 2012
    Let me just start this review of by saying: This game is fantastic... It is, however, not 1993 XCOM with updated graphics. If that's what you wanted, don't buy this game and please don't bother us by giving 0 point reviews here.

As I said, this game is different from UFO: EU(X-com: UFO Defence in america) it is however not worse or dumbed down. They may have simplified the tactical combat, but simplifying is not the same as dumbing down. Dumbing down is making the game easier and losing strategic depth in the process, simpifying is making a game easier to understand while trying to maintain or improve strategical depth.

And XCOM: EU does the latter. The strategic base management is probably even more complicated than it was in the original and the tactical combat is, while streamlined and symplified, just as deep or even deeper than the original game.
    It now involves units working together instead of having 14 nearly identical soldiers just scouting if every direction. Ammo is now more important unlike what many 1993 fanboys are saying. Guns still need reloading you just don't need to equip your soldiers with ammo anymore. And most of all there's the completely new cover system. Now, when you move your soldiers, you actually need to think about flanking aliens, because shooting aliens in full cover isn't going to kill them. I've come across a situation where my assault soldier tried to flank an alien but revealed another alien in the process which left him exposed. I then moved my support soldier in to throw a smoke grenade to protect my assault and used my heavy to suppress the flanking alien to avoid him shooting at my assault... Tactical situations like that would almost never occur in the original X-com so i completely disagree wit people who say this game is dumbed down.

The things that were simplified are mainly things like Time Units and i think the new system is actually better. It might kill the nostalgia a bit but this system is faster, easier and makes every decision more important and rewarding.

So, to come to a conclusion: I think this game is absolutely brilliant! I normally wouldn't give a 10 to a game. But I'm sorta doing this to cancel out the zeros that were given. Because even if you preferred the old X-com, it's ridiculous to say this game is worth a 0...
  2. Oct 10, 2012
    This game is hard to review, mostly because it is a "re-imagining" of one of my favorite games. The short story is: I like it. I am playing it. So, it gets an 8. Could it have been better? Oh yes. As an X-Com remake, it falls a bit flat. Simplified is a commonly used description, "on rails" is how I'd describe it. It seems that somewhere out there in a secret gaming steering committee, anThis game is hard to review, mostly because it is a "re-imagining" of one of my favorite games. The short story is: I like it. I am playing it. So, it gets an 8. Could it have been better? Oh yes. As an X-Com remake, it falls a bit flat. Simplified is a commonly used description, "on rails" is how I'd describe it. It seems that somewhere out there in a secret gaming steering committee, an edict that games must become less complicated has been issued. Unfortunate if you believe, like me, that original X-Com succeeded, at least in part, due to it's complexity. Why should saving the world from an alien threat be easy? It shouldn't. This XCOM wants to do away with all logistics, deeming them "un-fun." Managing multiple bases and multiple away teams is a hassle, they seem to think. And trying to arrange how multiple assets will deal with multiple simultaneous threats is just a big pain, in their book, much easier (and fun-ner?) to just pick one from a list. Weird trigger based alien spawning, channelling the action in corridor sized maps, tiny squad sizes, no free fire, blah blah, you read all this before. So yes, it's not a very good remake of X-Com. But that's not all a bad thing. It's still a good game. Some games are better for their simplicity. This game does some things pretty well. It's tense and fun, soldier customization is nice (could be better - why can't I pick my class or home nation?), there are advanced difficulty options (Ironman mode!), cut scenes are fun, kill cam is nice. However, there are things it could do better without changing the nature of the game as it was envisioned. Graphics rendering is sometimes sluggish, there are tons of clipping problems, there are camera and movement bugs, voice acting can be a bit shaky, textures could be a bit nicer, an option to remove the additional click for ability confirmation would be super. So despite all of this which mostly sounds negative, I still think it's an 8. Good enough so that when I get home from work tonight, I'll be playing XCOM. Expand
  3. Oct 14, 2012
    As much as I really wanted to enjoy this game, I'm finding it more and more difficult to do so. How can I shoot through walls? Where is the randomization that allows for the better gameplay? I'm growing more and more tired of replaying the same maps, listening to the terrible voice acting, and having to wait on stupid cut scenes. The squad consists of people from all around the world, yetAs much as I really wanted to enjoy this game, I'm finding it more and more difficult to do so. How can I shoot through walls? Where is the randomization that allows for the better gameplay? I'm growing more and more tired of replaying the same maps, listening to the terrible voice acting, and having to wait on stupid cut scenes. The squad consists of people from all around the world, yet they all sound the same. No random maps, repeating maps, no base building, terrible voice acting, etc...

Yet another disappointment. The only good thing about this is I got a copy of CIV5 with it due to the pre-order.
  4. Oct 9, 2012
    I have to admit, I was afraid that this game would be a perfect example of a game where it was built up and then was just mediocre (Skyrim anyone?). Went ahead a bought it and I have to say, that wasn't a mistake. So I came here to see what others were saying and was pleased to see the majority agree with me. I also wanted to address the main objection the ones that gave it a negativeI have to admit, I was afraid that this game would be a perfect example of a game where it was built up and then was just mediocre (Skyrim anyone?). Went ahead a bought it and I have to say, that wasn't a mistake. So I came here to see what others were saying and was pleased to see the majority agree with me. I also wanted to address the main objection the ones that gave it a negative review have: it's depth of strategy and, stemming from that, those who say that just wanted a retexturing of the original (which, if Firaxis did that, they would be saying "just get the original on Steam for 4 bucks, Firaxis just sold us an update"). They call it "tactics" but what they really mean is strategy (tactics being squad based planning, which this game clearly has and if they say it doesn't they don't know what they're talking about). Is the global strategy dumbed down? Yes, yes it is. Is this Xcom circa 1990? No, no it is not. Examples? Sure: You can no longer manufacture things to sell to the countries for money (there is a different, simpler dynamic). Manufacturing of guns and weapons as far as I can tell is instantaneous (don't really have a problem with that, but since the major complaint is that this isn't a retexturing of the original, I'll put that in there). There are no longer any ammo conservation concerns during missions, you just need to worry about reloading (though there are a limited amount of special abilities). You can have only one base (but you can have an high number of interceptors and satellites so that, in my opinion, makes up for it espc since in the original the presence of your base had no effect on the game unlike real life or this game). The manner in which you build your base has consequences, unlike the original one. Can you ignite the entire map and let fire spread? Yes. Destructive environments? Yes. But you can't shot a GUN at a wall (you can throw grenades or fire rockets however [more realistic]). The basic complaint here from the negative people is that it isn't Xcom. They wanted a simple retexturing and updating of Xcom. I can understand that, but it's also something that you can get elsewhere (UFO Afterlite series for example). What they fail to realize is that there are a number of things that were annoying and negative about the original. Cone of sight? (Kantai *COUGH*) Who sees in that? If an alien is right next to someone but not within a side square they're not gonna see it? Gimme a break. TUs are still there but they have been updated to be more realistic, because, seriously, why does it take time to turn around in the original? The first part of a mission in the original might as well be a ballet with all the squad members twirling around to get around the vision cone. No sniper rifles in the original (seems like an oversight to me. Yes they had "rifles" and "heavy weapons" but that seems kind of dumbed down now doesn't it (Kanti, Lysh *COUGH*). There are more, but there is a character limit here.

This Game actually expands the tactical and strategic options beyond the original. I'm sorry, but having to manage you backpack like Kanti complains this game took out, that's not tactical or strategic. Being able to construct a base that makes sense and has position bonuses (like this new game does), makes sense. The main point is this. If you want the exact same, original, authentic, experience and gameplay you got from Xcom, but with updated graphics DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. I don't want you buying it and then coming here and throwing a fit because it's not the same, exact Xcom. But if you want a different, enjoyable experience that takes most of the good of the original and adds new concepts and ides to it while still being true to the original, then you can't go wrong here. Are there some things that I miss? Sure. Are there some things here I didn't even know I wanted? Hell yeah there are. Would I recommend this game? Def. And that, in the end, is all that really matters
  5. Oct 9, 2012
    Critics have said that turn based shooters are dead, but I think this iteration of XCOM goes a long way to prove them wrong. I can honestly say, without sarcasm or implications, that if the original XCOM were made today, this is what it would be like. It is a very faithful representation of the original, and if you were a fan (like I was), you will probably enjoy this as well. The factCritics have said that turn based shooters are dead, but I think this iteration of XCOM goes a long way to prove them wrong. I can honestly say, without sarcasm or implications, that if the original XCOM were made today, this is what it would be like. It is a very faithful representation of the original, and if you were a fan (like I was), you will probably enjoy this as well. The fact that the economy/base building aspect wasn't cut was a huge plus to me. Now, to be clear, there are a few changes/issues. Difficulty is not so high, and you won't have everyone die as soon as they step off the transport for the first mission (this can be either good or bad). The soldier voices are all bland American accents, and while it's a small thing it's jarring in a squad of international operatives. The loadout is a more simplified than I'd like, but not enough that it annoys me. Anyway, apart from a few minor issues I feel XCOM is an extremely fun game and well worth a look. Expand
  6. Oct 9, 2012
    This is a brilliant strategy game that no fan of the genre, especially fans of turn based games, should pass up. The easy and normal difficulties make the single player portion of the game new-player friendly, while the classic and impossible difficulties, combined in the Ironman (autosave only) option transform this game into one of the most tactical and challenging experiences everThis is a brilliant strategy game that no fan of the genre, especially fans of turn based games, should pass up. The easy and normal difficulties make the single player portion of the game new-player friendly, while the classic and impossible difficulties, combined in the Ironman (autosave only) option transform this game into one of the most tactical and challenging experiences ever created.

While the single player has tremendous replay value, there is also a full-featured multiplayer side, which includes LAN play, unranked, and ranked matches and the ability to build your custom team with thousands of options. And yes, you read that correctly, this game has actual RANKED multiplayer, using the Elo rating system (similar to WoW, LoL, and Starcraft 2). All this means that XCOM: EU provides one of the best single player experiences along with competitive multiplayer you won't find in any other turn based strategy game on the market, period.
  7. Oct 9, 2012
    A striking, fresh and faithful reboot of a classic game- made immersive and engrossing with elegant design, appealing graphics, and non-wonky interface. XCOM challenges you to do it all: make tough tactical choices with your squad, and strategic ones with panicky nations around the world. There's nothing like that primal scream you let out when your hand-picked assault element getsA striking, fresh and faithful reboot of a classic game- made immersive and engrossing with elegant design, appealing graphics, and non-wonky interface. XCOM challenges you to do it all: make tough tactical choices with your squad, and strategic ones with panicky nations around the world. There's nothing like that primal scream you let out when your hand-picked assault element gets vaporized, or when your rooftop sniper picks off a Sectoid Commander like a bolt out of the blue. Sure, there are weaker elements, like the air intercepts, limited maps, or simple dig'n'build antfarm base, but they're ourweighed by the appeal and challenge of This fun, well-built game. Expand
  8. Oct 9, 2012
    Fun refreshing new strategy game. Pros - Makes you think, satisfying combat
    Cons - Random glitches(shooting walls, slanted positioned enemies), some aspects can be confusing.
  9. Oct 9, 2012
    Possibly one of the best games I've ever played. Ignore Lysh or whatever his name is. Honestly this game is astounding and even though i wasn't there for the original XCOM, this game somehow manages to turn a turn-based strategy and management sim into something that is out of this world (no pun intended). The game itself is very very fun but be warned- when your soldiers die- it almostPossibly one of the best games I've ever played. Ignore Lysh or whatever his name is. Honestly this game is astounding and even though i wasn't there for the original XCOM, this game somehow manages to turn a turn-based strategy and management sim into something that is out of this world (no pun intended). The game itself is very very fun but be warned- when your soldiers die- it almost feels like part of the time you spent in the game itself died. Trying to NOT get invested is difficult. Your soldiers level up after battle experience and after each battle you'll garner resources from the aliens you've killed/ captured. With regard to the mangement system , Firaxis has managed to turn something that should have been tedious and boring into an intriguing and tactical. Placement of different Facilities inside your base actually counts towards the effectiveness of said buildings. Missions issued from the Council of Nations that funds the XCOM initiative are sporadic and almost always unique. One day you might be saving a Council member's buddy from abduction. the next you're giving laser pistols to the Chinese Army to get more engineers into the XCOM initiative. You, the player truly are the Commander of the XCOM project, from researching new weapons to fight the aliens, managing missions and your base, to actually controlling your troops on the ground and interceptor jets in the skies. This game truly has limitless potential, especially if Firaxis will later release the ability to mod the game. The inclusion of Multiplayer with the ability to play as the Alien Menace is also very fun and very cool. Definitely one of the best games I've seen this year. :) Expand
  10. Oct 10, 2012
    Fans of the original X-Com will love this revival of the turn based strategy they used to play. I spent the last week playing the original X-Com to see if all the things I loved and hated from the original were still there. Not all of them were but that isn't a bad thing. The game can and will treat you in the most brutal fashion possible if you make poor choices. For those of us thatFans of the original X-Com will love this revival of the turn based strategy they used to play. I spent the last week playing the original X-Com to see if all the things I loved and hated from the original were still there. Not all of them were but that isn't a bad thing. The game can and will treat you in the most brutal fashion possible if you make poor choices. For those of us that played X-Com on Super Human back in the day this is a great reminder of the level of foresight needed to keep ahead of the alien menace. Play has been streamlined and the range of options has been reduce. The clunky inventory management has been removed. Your soldiers take only what they need. While I can appreciate this minor re-visioning I think the option to scrounge from the battlefield mid combat was part of what made the original X-Com great. The software its self is flawless. 16 hours in and not a single bug encountered. No glitches, hitches, or any such frustrations which plague current day pc gaming. In all this game stands an excellent chance at revitalizing the turn based strategy Genre and I hop the franchise lives on in this format for years to come. Expand
  11. Oct 9, 2012
    Exactly what one would reasonably expect this game to be. Playable for new and young players, a breath of fresh air for people who liked the original series and the 3rd party spinoffs. This game was made in record time imo. It would be reasonable to expect a few more instalments in the near future .
  12. Oct 9, 2012
    Oh my god it's full of stars. Yes, it's not a total 100% remake of the original X-Com / UFO but you know what? Maybe that's a good thing. UFO was awesome, but you can always go play it in DOSBOX and it'll still be great. It's not like somebody killed X-Com; that's just silly, and people that are saying that need to think about how silly they sound saying it. This way you get a game thatOh my god it's full of stars. Yes, it's not a total 100% remake of the original X-Com / UFO but you know what? Maybe that's a good thing. UFO was awesome, but you can always go play it in DOSBOX and it'll still be great. It's not like somebody killed X-Com; that's just silly, and people that are saying that need to think about how silly they sound saying it. This way you get a game that evokes the awesomeness of the X-Com games of the past, but brings in new elements to re-imagine it. Let your nostalgia go free and enjoy something new and awesome. I found the tutorial a little confusing (does it have an end?) but I'm loving this game. I heard somebody say that it's basically like crack and I highly agree. It's so hard to stop playing it. Expand
  13. Oct 9, 2012
    Great game, great atmosphere, and overall an exciting strategy game with a little action mixed in. This is not a remake of the original, it is its own entity. XCOM from 1993 was more of a Hide and Seek game, the new XCOM retains some of those elements, but there is a far greater emphasis on strategy. I am glad they decided to make this game, limited "hand holding" and more "oops IGreat game, great atmosphere, and overall an exciting strategy game with a little action mixed in. This is not a remake of the original, it is its own entity. XCOM from 1993 was more of a Hide and Seek game, the new XCOM retains some of those elements, but there is a far greater emphasis on strategy. I am glad they decided to make this game, limited "hand holding" and more "oops I clearly made a bad decision, which is why I lost". Yes, you can actually lose in this game, not only soldiers, you can actually fail to save Earth. Tips: Name soldiers after people you know, adds more significance to when they die, and they will die. Expand
  14. Oct 9, 2012
    A brilliant and ambitious re-imagining of the original X-COM games. Not 1:1, and many of the features have been streamlined, changed, or removed, but it still captures the same fundamental feeling of terror, and each round of the game's turn-based tactical combat is a knuckle-biting affair. Absolutely a contender for GOTY 2012.
  15. Oct 9, 2012
    This version of XCOM actually has MORE depth than the original. The bits that added little to the (classic) original have been removed or altere while tactical (combat based) and strategic ("base" based) options have been added that actually add to ythe thought that's required to succeed. Examples Disembarking - man that was a pain, one well placed grenade and your entire squad wipedThis version of XCOM actually has MORE depth than the original. The bits that added little to the (classic) original have been removed or altere while tactical (combat based) and strategic ("base" based) options have been added that actually add to ythe thought that's required to succeed. Examples Disembarking - man that was a pain, one well placed grenade and your entire squad wiped before you'd started your second turn and split up to avoid being one large target for me this always meant a reload of a saved game. It just annoyed me when it happened, now it doesn't. "Bug hunt" endings. Scouring maps for that one last alien who had decided to stand in a cupboard, 90 minutes trying to find it, ending up just being bored and making a careless mistake or just quitting the game - gone...Unrealistic micro customization - In the original you could force any soldier to become anything. That's not realistic at all. A 5 foot 3 sharpshooter moulded into being a musclebound heavy weapons carrier "just because you need one" It might offer you control - but at the expense of any level or realism. The movement simpified in use, but actually increased in tactical options. Moce a squad member a level? Easy! - No special button to take the view up or down required, how about over a wall or through a window. SImple, no 3 level menu system to go through, it will calculate it, and you will know whether you have the ability to continue with another action after or not. All the calculations are there if you play, but they are transparent to the user, leaving you just to work out what is best rather than micro analysing action points. Supression fire? Opportunity fire, different levels of cover? These allow you to work out some pretty snazzy tactics. Your troops level in a way that makes it fab. Actual abilities are learned that expand your tactical options, some are passive, some used on a turn based "cooldown" - all make a difference if used in the right place. Morale, Psi attacks. It's all there - it just doesn't require micro management. I thought I would miss micro management - but I don't - not one bit. For me - someone who loves to see a proper AAA turn based game (at LAST - after Sooooo many FPS..aren't FPS bored to tears with the same game being sold over and over and over and over) Xcom is a breath of fresh air. The moddability of the PC game means we can expect maps, missions and TC's in the next few months that will keep this game on my hard drive and being played almost indefinitely. 10/10 Best game I've played since Jagged Alliance 2 or Rebelstar. Well done Firaxis, after the relative mess of Civ 5 you are back with a bang. Best game of 2012 by a mile. Expand
  16. Oct 9, 2012
    Thank you Fireaxis. You dit it. We had high expectations, and you surpassed them. XCOm is one of the best games of this generation. Shut up and take my money!
  17. Oct 9, 2012
    Greetings from Germany! Im happy this is not an UFO Enemy Unknown with just better Graphics. Its an Game for its own. And its really fun to play. Im a huge Fan of UFO, TftD and X-com Apocalypse and this game is a worthy part 4 of those games. If you know the old Games and play this one is like you meet old friends. Siliconids and Mutons and Etherials, and so on, are on earth again! IfGreetings from Germany! Im happy this is not an UFO Enemy Unknown with just better Graphics. Its an Game for its own. And its really fun to play. Im a huge Fan of UFO, TftD and X-com Apocalypse and this game is a worthy part 4 of those games. If you know the old Games and play this one is like you meet old friends. Siliconids and Mutons and Etherials, and so on, are on earth again! If someone tells you "You cant destroy Buildings, there is no reaction Fire and there arent any different fire modes" he is flat lieing to you. Some peoples should actually play the Game first and then make a review. But thats just my opinion. Expand
  18. Oct 9, 2012
    XCOM is true successor to original game! Unless you are butthurt HC/Elitist then you might think other way. If you have never played turn based strategy/action game rest assure you won't be disappointed! XCOM is awesome mix of tactical combat and strategic management of you base/research and etc. Sound is rock solid aside from generic solders voices. Graphics r great for this kind of theXCOM is true successor to original game! Unless you are butthurt HC/Elitist then you might think other way. If you have never played turn based strategy/action game rest assure you won't be disappointed! XCOM is awesome mix of tactical combat and strategic management of you base/research and etc. Sound is rock solid aside from generic solders voices. Graphics r great for this kind of the game. And Gameplay will get you hooked in no time. Replay value is tremendous. And if you want quick fix just jump in to the multiplayer. Highly recommend to all true gamers up there! Thank you Dev team and Fraxis for this great Take on the classic game! Expand
  19. Oct 9, 2012
    This is simply one of the best strategy games I own! So much fun in such a great package. Losing a soldier or failing a mission is all a part of the gameplay and is implemented even from the first mission. The customization of your soldiers brings losses to a whole other level as well. I love this game and will be playing it for a long time to come!
  20. Oct 9, 2012
    One of the best turn based strategy games I have ever played. Ignore the hater and trolls, they are still stuck in nostalgia limbo to even make a thorough and non-biased review. The developers decided on a smaller squad to stress the importance of tension and making your squad actually mean something. The graphics are wonderful UE3 engine works well with this type of game and I like theOne of the best turn based strategy games I have ever played. Ignore the hater and trolls, they are still stuck in nostalgia limbo to even make a thorough and non-biased review. The developers decided on a smaller squad to stress the importance of tension and making your squad actually mean something. The graphics are wonderful UE3 engine works well with this type of game and I like the art style direction. This will ensure this game will age properly. Overall, this game is a masterpiece and should be a candidate for GOTY against Dishonored. :) Expand
  21. Oct 14, 2014
    Great. Interesting characters - who you genuinely care about, because they can die at any time. Varied skills - which can really shake up the field of play. A variety of classes - which really do play differently. Lots of tactical options to consider and with the expansions/DLC, even more. I'm not typically a TBS player, but even I found this to be a great game. The only caveats are thatGreat. Interesting characters - who you genuinely care about, because they can die at any time. Varied skills - which can really shake up the field of play. A variety of classes - which really do play differently. Lots of tactical options to consider and with the expansions/DLC, even more. I'm not typically a TBS player, but even I found this to be a great game. The only caveats are that the action can be a little slow at times (e.g: chasing down the last few aliens on a map), and the base-building part of the game seemed underdeveloped (at least, without the DLC). Expand
  22. Oct 15, 2014
    Incredible game, I have spent at least 120 hours playing this, people saying it´s "dumbed down" Its because they have not even tried it in impossible with iron man mode enabled, buy this game, I asure you wont regret it.
  23. Oct 18, 2014
    I have never played the original XCOM games, I just downloaded the demo, not knowing that the XCOM series existed. I got so addicted to the demo, I replayed it several times. Then I got the full game for Christmas. This game defines fun. The story may seem shallow, but guess what, that why you must create your own story. I mean, you can customize your own soldiers, even their names. TryI have never played the original XCOM games, I just downloaded the demo, not knowing that the XCOM series existed. I got so addicted to the demo, I replayed it several times. Then I got the full game for Christmas. This game defines fun. The story may seem shallow, but guess what, that why you must create your own story. I mean, you can customize your own soldiers, even their names. Try naming them after your loved ones, and you'll get attached to them. That's the thing about XCOM, it doesn't trivialize death; it even has a memorial for your lost soldiers. Haven't played multiplayer, but singleplayer alone justifies the price tag. There are some lags here and there but they're minor. Come on, buy it NOW. Expand
  24. Oct 25, 2014
    Turn based squad strategy at it's finest. The only complaint is that the story is a little week. Other than that, there's enjoyable progression, challenge for any level of familiarity, and huge replay-ability.
  25. Oct 28, 2014
    Old school evil aliens invade the earth and you are the commander of an elite team that should be able to defy that menace. Fortunately the game doesn't take it too seriously and is therefore enjoyable even if it features "evil alien invaders".

The plot was surprisingly varied, considering we're talking about evil alien invaders, but it actually just need to support the turn-based in-field combat mechanics change throughout the progress of the game.
    It was the first time I approached turn based combat games (and the only turn based strategy game I ever played before XCOM: Enemy Unknown was Sid Meyer's Civilization V) but I found XCOM: Enemy Unknown gameplay system pretty straightforward and enjoyable.

Game graphic is nice, I wouldn't have changed anything on that part, music instead sounds often repetitive even if it matches the atmosphere.

Now, the cons.
    Percentage system is not totally random but randomly predetermined: if you miss a hit, no matter how many times you reload a savegame and/or change actions before that very hit, it will miss (even with 98% hit chance).
    The movement system gets you hard time with ramps/levels/obstructions.
    Finally, this game has a few bugs, one above all it may happen that the game still runs without any visual issue or crash BUT no matter what button you press, you can't do anything and you need to force quit the game (happened 1 to 3 times per finished game).

To recap, if this game was made for PC in the first place a lot of things would have been better, but it is clearly adapted to consoles limited controls (gamepads != mouses) and then ported to PC.
    The good thing is that, controls aside, the game has a lot of customizable options and since it uses the unreal engine it's pretty solid.
    Also, the game runs on linux, I'd say it runs really good on linux and I can only praise that.

If you enjoy turn based strategy combat games this game is for you, if you don't give it a try anyway, I really enjoyed it as my first time turn-based combat game.
  26. Sep 28, 2014
    Great game. The tactics are quite simple and make for streamlined gameplay. Its not bad for it, the range of maps is quite good. The solider nationalities and editing give you a connection with them, if you play on ironman you feel gutted if a favourite dies.

The ironman mode is really good one bad mission can cause a lot of problems. I would like to see more mission types although

The ironman mode is really good one bad mission can cause a lot of problems.

I would like to see more mission types although the missions themselves seem to be quite different with each play through.

Would recommend however if you are looking for in depth combat you may be disappointed.
  27. Nov 7, 2014
    The first time I tried this game I couldn't understand the way the combat worked and that was because I looked at the game the same way I looked at the classic. My second attempt was much better as I finally grasped what was going on. The game is very good and climatic. The combat system is somewhat simplified in comparison with the classic but it came out as an advantage. What I dislikedThe first time I tried this game I couldn't understand the way the combat worked and that was because I looked at the game the same way I looked at the classic. My second attempt was much better as I finally grasped what was going on. The game is very good and climatic. The combat system is somewhat simplified in comparison with the classic but it came out as an advantage. What I disliked in the classic was looking for the last alien that hid somewhere on the map. Here you do not have to do that. Game progression is fantastic. Besides random maps you got fixed missions, which makes game more attractive - you did not have this choise in classic. You can make your soldiers to become cyborgs or enchance them biologically. Each soldiers class is needed and this is a great improvement over the classic title where you could get ultimate killers good at everything. Here you got soldiers that can be achieved only at their profession, which is sensible attitutude. Graphics and animations are quite pretty. I beat the game and I feel like coming back once again to this title to play the campgain once more. I hope they will make another title in the franchise. I am really looking forward to it. Expand
  28. Jan 22, 2013
    Having played the original XCOM when it was first released, in my opinion this new version has ironed out the annoying and unnecessary aspects of the original. Does anyone else remember how irritating and buggy the original was? My only protests: the absence of HQ invasions, the low variety of missions, and the level of creepiness and fear that an alien-themed game should have is lowerHaving played the original XCOM when it was first released, in my opinion this new version has ironed out the annoying and unnecessary aspects of the original. Does anyone else remember how irritating and buggy the original was? My only protests: the absence of HQ invasions, the low variety of missions, and the level of creepiness and fear that an alien-themed game should have is lower than I would like. Expand
  29. May 13, 2013
    I'm afraid "old school" x-com fan boys are scaring away people from this game. I see so many old school fans complain about how "This game isn't as good as the original" and 0 out of 10 because the original is better and this sucks". That's not fair. I'm not bashing old school fans, but just because the remake/reboot isn't as good doesn't make it crap. Go play the original all you want!I'm afraid "old school" x-com fan boys are scaring away people from this game. I see so many old school fans complain about how "This game isn't as good as the original" and 0 out of 10 because the original is better and this sucks". That's not fair. I'm not bashing old school fans, but just because the remake/reboot isn't as good doesn't make it crap. Go play the original all you want! But don't drag this game down because of it. I am aware this game has some issues. Such as the bulls*it free move aliens get during your turn, and some crash to desktop bugs (which are extreamly rare.) But that doesn't make this game bad. Aside from those problems, i sit and play this game for hours at a time. Its fun and addicting. You also get attached to your soldiers, and get legitimately sad or pissed off when they die. All in all, its problems held it back from being the best game of last year, but it still one of my favorites. Expand
  30. Mar 31, 2013
    It's been quite long time since some game made me get up early, so I could play before work. XCOM is really cool, too bad that I went through it for 3 days. Certainly I will try again on hardest difficulty and Ironman options.
  31. Oct 23, 2012
    After more than a decade of waiting, I must say that XCOM: Enemy Unknown managed to satisfy my palate. The graphics and art style look good and the gameplay although simplified, still made it fun. Especially liked the ability to customize your soldier right down to the nicknames. The armour, weapons and the way your soldier(s) moved made them look really badass!
    On the downside, the
    On the downside, the lackluster storyline and no aliens attacking your base brought this game down a notch. After the final cutscene, all I could do was go " That's it...?" I sincerely think the storyline and ending could have been better. Overall a good game, worth playing and worth every penny.
  32. Oct 14, 2012
    As a fan of turnbased games I really appreciate this game. A very solid game overall. After all I just think that they wasted a lot of potential in this game, in terms of character progression, different level styles and tactical possibilities.
  33. Oct 18, 2012
    Playing XCOM: Enemy Unknown is like sitting down for dinner with an old friend who appears to be doing very well for themselves, after all these years. You recognize them, and while you both have enough memories of the "good old days" for you to fall back on, there's enough new and interesting things going on in your friend's life to make for a memorable conversation. And then, when it'sPlaying XCOM: Enemy Unknown is like sitting down for dinner with an old friend who appears to be doing very well for themselves, after all these years. You recognize them, and while you both have enough memories of the "good old days" for you to fall back on, there's enough new and interesting things going on in your friend's life to make for a memorable conversation. And then, when it's all over, you begin to wonder why you ever lost touch all these years to begin with. 9.5/10 -- Solid execution, atmosphere, mechanics, and enough twists that this title isn't just a retread, it stands on its own two feet. Expand
  34. Oct 18, 2012
    Despite some minor issues like the consolized interface, XCOM Enemy Unknown is a worthy successor to the original XCOM game and one of the best strategy games I have played in a long time.
  35. Oct 17, 2012
    Please consider my rating an 8.5 (I'm a big fan of the idea of adding .5's to this system, and am still a bit confused how an overall user score of 8.1 can come about with everyone forced to give x.0 ratings. But that's neither here nor there.)

XCom: Enemy Unknown is a truly addicting gaming experience. Luckily (?) for this experience at least, I had not thoroughly played the original XCom back in the early 90's, so the lore of the game was new to me. Most of the negative reviews I've read are from people contrasting this game to the original. The game isn't without it's faults. There are some unusual bugs that pop up from time-to-time. A few have been very nearly game-killers (the inability to go through a door when the level has only one door you need to get your soldiers through, etc.) - but with so many firefight options (including later abilities to psionically control enemies) you can even get through the buggy levels. The other major negative I'd like to point out is the tedium that sets in after so many battles. One of the first things I'd like to see developed are new, more creative maps, because you do start seeing the same maps repeat over and over. While the levels are semi-random (you never really know where enemies or objectives are going to be located), the game play for any level is just the same. Locate the objective (usually a UFO to infiltrate, pedestrians to save, etc.), strategically place your soldiers in the most tactical positions, hunker down and shoot. What really makes this game for me is the building phase of the game. You are tasked with building facilities which allow you to construct new and varied weapons, armor, aircraft, satellites, and so forth. Your soldiers are constantly gaining experience with each fight, and although their skill trees aren't large (would love to see expansion here, too), it is ridiculously satisfying to level your crew up. With the ability to name and outfit them to your choosing, you really do feel like the CEO of a fighting machine. As such, you also become very invested with your troops, and when one drops in combat, it can be an emotional experience, because there are no reincarnations here. If a soldier dies, he dies for good. With that everlurking fear, how you strategically place troops on the battlefield becomes that much more important. You really do want to keep them alive. Watching a soldier fall who you've spent 20+ missions building up and training is excruciating, and can leave a serious hole in your roster. But crunch all you want, you'll build more! The graphics are really quite superb, I'm most impressed with the HQ build screen, a cut-away view of your facilities that is bustling with activity.

Even as I became a bit bored with the gameplay, I just couldn't quit, and still haven't, the game is definitely replayable thanks to a lot of random factors built-in. It's been a while since I'd purchased a game that became a MUST play after a day of work. And it's been a while since I've been so enchanted by the way a game works that I'm already hungering for additional content. If you can play this without thinking "Oh, this is dumbed-down version of the original", then you're in for a real treat. Buy this game, it's one of the good ones.
  36. Oct 17, 2012
    So here is a flawed gem.
    So here is a flawed gem.
    In so many ways true to the "spirit of the original" there *has* been dumbing down to streamline the gameplay (partly to cut down on 40 mins turns on the tactical map and massive complex infrastructure on the geoscape but clearly this has mostly been to fit the game on consoles) Gone are the big teams as sky ranger now only fits 6 (4 at start of the game) however the shiv tank is one slot now not 4, gone are having multiple bases worldwide although there are hangers for interceptors on each continent but only 1 skyranger at main base. Most of the soldiers stats are gone and AP's have been reduced to 2 (move and shoot, move and move or big move, there are some exceptions with the skill unlocks) And most of the toys have been locked into a soldier "class" speaking of which, the troops now are not general purpose grunts that have stats on every weapon type they are given classes early on which locks them into a weapon type (again less stats to worry about) and the inventory is locked in pre mission so if one of your guy drops (say your sniper) then no one else can pick up the sniper rifle.

And then there are the bugs.... OH so many bugs, this game could have done with at least a couple of months of QA and bug squashing. There's bugs with nearly every aspect of the game, some are just cosmetic amusements like xbox control highlights showing up on base GUI when you are running in mouse only mode, some impact gameplay such as making it difficult to accurately select the right tile to order a soldier to inside a UFO with multiple levels (they have a tendency to jump over the wall I want them to hide about and stand in the open on the other side on the lower level) and the UFO roofs tend to come in and obscure stuff forcing a camera rotate to see what you are doing and then there are bugs that can break the game outright such as the first time I played multiplayer my mate started to chat to me in my turn and then I killed one of his guys and his chat box broke stopping him from doing ANYTHING thus ending what was turning out to be a great little match, oh dear.

So why the high score? - Well the truth is the game is actually REALLY REALLY GOOD FUN!
    Yep, sure this game kind of makes the hardcore xcom fan in me rage a little that AP's are gone, the tactical was previously a "frightening foray into the unknown" and is now a chest high wall cover simulator (like playing a turn based gears of war) which sort of reduces it to a move here and cover creeping ambush style where as in the first xcom you would end up with a cluster**** of grunts all over the place trying to stay alive. So why is it so great? Difficult to pin down really, I mean on the technical side pacing is better, there is now genuine interaction with the environment (guys jump over walls, lean out around corners etc) and oddly enough the class based squad thing actually works (having spent so long with a mixed class team game like TF2 etc) and surprisingly enough although the inventory and multi role sides are gone out of the tactical side of the game it's actually LESS frustrating to play then the first (not sure at this point if that's just the 30 something me who is approaching it then the teenage me of the first game) as you get down to working with guys skills and abilities you have in the field.

You don't spend so long micromanaging your base(s) and the geoscape which was once the nerve centre of the game where you moved it round to select bases ufo's and missions is now a "click here for next event" button, that said there's still a robust tech tree to research, the usual autopsies and interrogations are present and correct and you still have to balance your finances between costs, expansion and getting new toys for your guys.
    Base building is quite interesting with adjacency bonuses forcing you to plan your base layout instead of just plonking anything anywhere and you have quite a lot of choice even if it's just a single base. Overall I can see where the die hard fans of the original game might be a little upset the changes that have been made make the game much more accessible to a larger demographic and by and large it actually pays off.
    I'm a real fan of the original but I for one am not disappointed in the game (apart from the bugs which I hope get patched out) - those that want to retread the original game with fancy graphics are served with the open source UFO AI game (also built on the unreal engine) which is also a great game and the contrasts are interesting to see as that game in a lot of ways is truer to the original XCOM then this is.
  37. Jul 14, 2013
    While there have been quite a few changes made to the original game UFO: Enemy Unknown (besides the obvious such as graphics and audio) they aren't so severe as to distance the game from its core mechanics which involves building a base, intercepting UFOs, training up your team and turning alien technology against them. Veterans of the series should still find this game fun and theWhile there have been quite a few changes made to the original game UFO: Enemy Unknown (besides the obvious such as graphics and audio) they aren't so severe as to distance the game from its core mechanics which involves building a base, intercepting UFOs, training up your team and turning alien technology against them. Veterans of the series should still find this game fun and the streamlined gameplay will attract younger strategy gamers to the turn-based tactics genre. Expand
  38. May 10, 2013
    A clever game for gamers that seek a challenge. It has a mediocre tutorial that does not fulfill its role, so the learning curve is steep and at the first walthrough you will be learning by mistakes unfortunately. If you are new to XCOM series you will like it more than the veterans, because this game is a much dumbed cousin of its elders. The game is quite addicting thanks to someA clever game for gamers that seek a challenge. It has a mediocre tutorial that does not fulfill its role, so the learning curve is steep and at the first walthrough you will be learning by mistakes unfortunately. If you are new to XCOM series you will like it more than the veterans, because this game is a much dumbed cousin of its elders. The game is quite addicting thanks to some RPG/RTS elements. The deeper you go the more new stuff you discover and new weapons. Other times the missions are nearly impossible to accomplish because you for example get thrown with little to no cover into a swarm of bazooka wielding giants. The natural part of the frustration is losing your men (and women heh) other times you will have to sacrifice newbies to get a clear shot for the captain. The game can be really hard even at normal difficulty setting so much so that if you`re new to this I highly recommend not selecting a higher setting than normal. The maps are fairly varied, not too much but just enough to keep going forward. There are also a few mission types, honestly here I was dissapointed. Overall the campaign is good, it proceeds just when it is about to get stale. Some strategy and thinking is required. I played 33hours to get through the whole thing, which is a huge number for a game nowadays. Moreso, the game is built the way that makes you want to beat it at least twice, because the first time you did not know the whole set of rules. Gaphics and music is okay. Overall lots of gameplay for this price so a 8.6 out of 10. Expand
  39. Oct 24, 2012
    YES: -Its still fun to play game
    -Tactical battles have spirit of original 1994 game
    -Aliens, aircrafts,weapons etc are mostly based on original design -Its hard and demanding -Its a high budget turn based strategy and its 2012, i salute to 2K for courage ;) NO: -Its much much simplified comparing to the 1994 game -Music is dull and no based on original scores in any way -Its
    YES: -Its still fun to play game
    -Tactical battles have spirit of original 1994 game
    -Aliens, aircrafts,weapons etc are mostly based on original design
    -Its hard and demanding

NO: -Its much much simplified comparing to the 1994 game
    -Music is dull and no based on original scores in any way
    -Its short and kind of linear
    -tutorial is ultra annoying and its on by default
    -New Cryssalid not even half dangerous as the old one
  40. Jun 7, 2013
    It brings back a lot of memories from the original XCOM, but so much better. Turn based strategy has always been my favorite type of game. They did a wonderful job updating the game play with an easy to understand and use interface. The graphics look good, not the greatest but sufficient. I had two occurrences of crash to desktop in my 40 hour play through. I'd suggest turning on autoIt brings back a lot of memories from the original XCOM, but so much better. Turn based strategy has always been my favorite type of game. They did a wonderful job updating the game play with an easy to understand and use interface. The graphics look good, not the greatest but sufficient. I had two occurrences of crash to desktop in my 40 hour play through. I'd suggest turning on auto saves, but you'll want that anyway for when you make a poor decision and send a soldier too far ahead and he gets killed. The ending was good, the cut scenes were well done. The only thing I missed from the original was that you can't pick up equipment from fallen/incapped soldiers. So if your guy with the health kit goes down, he's gonna die unless you finish the mission quick. Well done Firaxis! I enjoyed this a lot. Expand
  41. May 1, 2014
    Turn based strategy at its finest with a variety of gameplay options. Play it on ironman where every decision matters. Nothing beats the moment when your favorite Sniper (named after yourself, of course) is down to one health bar, low on ammo, Thin Men dropping in from everywhere, and your Support Class Girl sits on the other end of the map. Be sure to get the excellent Enemy Within as well.
  42. Dec 28, 2012
    One of the best releases this year. A few minor complaints withstanding, the gameplay is addictive and fun. The missions do get a bit monotonous, they could have added some variety to the locations in game (every city looks the same). The permadeath mechanics add a great level of tension to each mission.The aliens are challenging, often to a frustrating degree, leading to suspense eachOne of the best releases this year. A few minor complaints withstanding, the gameplay is addictive and fun. The missions do get a bit monotonous, they could have added some variety to the locations in game (every city looks the same). The permadeath mechanics add a great level of tension to each mission.The aliens are challenging, often to a frustrating degree, leading to suspense each time you send a prized squad member to scout the fog of war. Well worth the money Expand
  43. Mar 8, 2014
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality.
    It was a long time since i had a game with more than 50 hours of playing in a week.
    Since i never play the X-COM classics before, i'm not the one who gonna spit on that game because of some lack of fidelity from the original series, which seems to be what people was most criticizing about. Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and
    X-COM: Enemy Unknown is high quality.

Even the story is good, although is not the focus, and it's not so well explored. You'll have to manage resources, research alien materials, train and customize your soldiers, capture aliens alive to study them, build facilities, weapons, gadgets, robots, all kind of features to help you to deal with an unknown alien menace.

The biggest part of this game is at turn-based strategy battles, with a third person point of view on shooting enemies or doing another actions.

I got some minor bugs, mostly concerned the camera movement, which can be very annoying some times, but nothing truly deal breaker.
  44. Jan 23, 2014
    I personally didn't like strategy games until i played Xcom:Enemy Unknown.With updated graphic and a nice gameplay.even though it's not a 100% remake of the UFO:EU,It's still fantastic.With improve combat system and tactical system.
  45. Feb 14, 2014
    I never played old xcom, but it don't regret that. This game has some bugs like shooting through walls, weird angles of shooting, very rare freeze after animations, but overall game is fantastic :) On the higher levels with second wave options game i really hard and requiring. Maybe there's not many options as it old xcom had, but in my opinion there's a lot of things and research to obtain :)
  46. Feb 14, 2014
    I love this game, every character you make gets you attached to them, i already have completed it, and its just... BEYOND amazing! I love all the different alien types and i would not be playing it if it weren't for a youtuber!
  47. Mar 10, 2013
    I think XCOM is a great game. Multitude of campaigns, but above all the turn-based combat is the most successful game. In the negative section base management is improved. But the game is amazing in the playable section. Totally recommended.
  48. MJR
    Mar 29, 2013
    Okay I guess I should should start by saying that I have never played any XCOM games before this one so I really have no idea how they relate. That being said I have found this game to be absolutely awesome! I received the game through Steam when I pre-ordered Bioshock: infinite, which worked for me since I had always been a touch curious about XCOM but never actually got around to lookingOkay I guess I should should start by saying that I have never played any XCOM games before this one so I really have no idea how they relate. That being said I have found this game to be absolutely awesome! I received the game through Steam when I pre-ordered Bioshock: infinite, which worked for me since I had always been a touch curious about XCOM but never actually got around to looking into the game. Needless to say, I downloaded the game and was treated to a very welcome surprise in the form of a thoughtful, fun, and interesting turn-based strategy game. Everything seemed to click with the controls and I found the premise to be quite fascinating. What is probably most impressive about the game is the fact that it is so complicated yet completely accessible. I don't know where I would start to try to explain how the game works between the home base and the battle field but it makes perfect sense when playing. While the graphics aren't that great the gameplay more than makes up for it. It has been a while since I actually jumped out of my chair in triumph following the successful conclusion of a mission. If you like strategy games then you should try to find a way to give this game a try it's a rewarding and fun experience. Expand
  49. Mar 10, 2013
    This game is simply awesome!
    As a fan of original series, I was a bit frightened when I first heard about remake of very classic of this genre. On the other hand, Firaxis proved couple times with Civilization franchise they know how to make turn-based strategy game fun, and they didn't fail.
    This game is simply awesome!
    Although this game has some weaker points (like low variety of missions, no HQ defending missions etc. etc.), this is how remake of cult game should look!
    I am looking forward to another sequels of this franchise by Firaxis.
  50. Mar 18, 2013
    This an excellent (and thoroughly addictive) game. The turn based strategy of the missions was great fun, and although there is some room for improvement in several areas, I still had a great time with this game. I do think the game could be improved with AI that was a bit more intelligent (enemies never seem to be very smart about where they choose to position themselves), with betterThis an excellent (and thoroughly addictive) game. The turn based strategy of the missions was great fun, and although there is some room for improvement in several areas, I still had a great time with this game. I do think the game could be improved with AI that was a bit more intelligent (enemies never seem to be very smart about where they choose to position themselves), with better character development of your soldiers (they're shallow, no personality traits, thus I have no real connection with them at all), and with a bit more variety of stuff you can do back at base (starts to get repetitive just doing the same few things in between missions). I also think that while the story-line is pretty good, there's room for some stronger storytelling elements to be brought into the mix. It's an immersive game as-is, but if the story was a bit deeper, it would add to the overall atmosphere/feeling the game brings. I have never played the original X-COM (though I think I'll have to try it), so my review here has no elements of comparison to that, but are just based on this game standing alone. Expand
  51. Jan 27, 2013
    Really been waiting for this game to be released and did not get disappointed. Just have to set the expectations right towards this one. It was not meant to be a 1:1 remake of "Ufo: Enemy Unknown". Yes it got a little different, but they've made a good job on it. Gameplay is fluent. Base building, researching, training soldiers, graphics, sounds, everything pretty well done, fun to playReally been waiting for this game to be released and did not get disappointed. Just have to set the expectations right towards this one. It was not meant to be a 1:1 remake of "Ufo: Enemy Unknown". Yes it got a little different, but they've made a good job on it. Gameplay is fluent. Base building, researching, training soldiers, graphics, sounds, everything pretty well done, fun to play and also having some replay value due to the different difficulties and game modes. So why not 10/10? For example cause of the way aliens are roaming and how they are getting triggered during missions. If you come in sight to discover some of them on the battlefield, the hole alien pack will always get a scripted free reaction movement allowing them to run away, take cover or do whatever. Such script makes combat feel a little less like actually fighting against aliens, but rather fighting scripts, damaging the atmosphere. Also as a dedicated player of "Ufo: Enemy Unknown" i really hoped for some more complexity in this game. Anyways this game is good and since it sold well there sure will be a second one that will most likely get even better. Hopefully also including some more complex game modes for hardcore players then. Expand
  52. Apr 6, 2013
    when i watched gameplay my first impression was pretty meh.. i never played the ufo games before so i didnt know what to expect.. i ended up buying it because a lot of friends recommended it to me. I didnt regreat it this game was so much fun the tactical random aspect is very tense. though i dont think its too tactical for non strategy players to get into it. the emotional bindingwhen i watched gameplay my first impression was pretty meh.. i never played the ufo games before so i didnt know what to expect.. i ended up buying it because a lot of friends recommended it to me. I didnt regreat it this game was so much fun the tactical random aspect is very tense. though i dont think its too tactical for non strategy players to get into it. the emotional binding between you and your soldiers is very high, you will literally cry if your best soldier dies. i highly recommend playing this game on ironman mode because loading files over and over again wont give you the full experience. Expand
  53. Jan 20, 2013
    The game is fun and engaging, reminds me of the good old games of the 90s. There are however some issues. Cover is often ignored. It's quite glitchy. The UI could have been a lot better. And there should have been some logic behind what specialty the soldiers get. However, it's lots of fun. Just makes me wish syndicate would have been made a strategy game as well:p
  54. Feb 6, 2013
    Me encanta el juego, es super entretenido, entre investigación, fabricación de armas y mejoras, entrenamiento de soldados y su estrategia, no te aburrres ni un segundo.
  55. Feb 16, 2013
    A relaunch of a classic turn based strategy title, XCOM: Enemy unknown is a triumph of gaming for 2012. The game set out to reinvent the TBS (Turn Based Strategy) game market after years of development. I for one feel that it has done this with real fineness. XCOM EU, demonstrates the wonderfully high resourcefulness of the Unreal3 Engine, with great visuals and solid gameplay mechanics.A relaunch of a classic turn based strategy title, XCOM: Enemy unknown is a triumph of gaming for 2012. The game set out to reinvent the TBS (Turn Based Strategy) game market after years of development. I for one feel that it has done this with real fineness. XCOM EU, demonstrates the wonderfully high resourcefulness of the Unreal3 Engine, with great visuals and solid gameplay mechanics.

For the first time in a perhaps many years, I felt compelled to tread lightly with my soldiers for if I make a stupid mistake, then they die and they are gone, no do overs, just gone. This was something I was apprehensive of at first, but found that it would brilliantly in TSB games. Building the base is something that also must be thought out carefully to take full advantage of the technologies you will use to combat an unknown enemy force.

I will tell you know that the enemy's *spoiler alert* are aliens from another planet, so I don't know if the title works, but this is one of the few quips I have with the game. That, and the fact that you only have one base on one continent is a drawback to micro-managers such as myself. The AI can be brutal on the normal difficulty which makes me pensive before any high threat level mission. However over time I learnt to attempt flanking the enemy rather than running and gunning. Upgrading your base and soldiers is essential for survival beyond the first few hours of gameplay.

I honestly enjoyed this game so much that I give it 8/10. The only draw backs are the lack of variety in missions and no ability to have multiple bases on other continents around the world. Excellent game all round.
  56. Mar 25, 2013
    If there's one thing I dislike in gaming genres, it's strategy games. Just pointing and clicking, it feels a bit meaningless. NOT in "XCOM: Enemy Unknown". You control a base with a researchlab, scientists, soldiers and all the Science Fiction goodiness! Even some of the easiest mission may provide the "rookies" among us for a real challenge, due to intelligent AI and clever combatIf there's one thing I dislike in gaming genres, it's strategy games. Just pointing and clicking, it feels a bit meaningless. NOT in "XCOM: Enemy Unknown". You control a base with a researchlab, scientists, soldiers and all the Science Fiction goodiness! Even some of the easiest mission may provide the "rookies" among us for a real challenge, due to intelligent AI and clever combat mechanics. A mindchanging game for me! Expand
  57. May 10, 2013
    I see a lot of hate on this game for being dumbed down. Some people tend to forget that the original XCOM was unforgivably hard.

XCOM EU is a fun romp down memory lane with a few flaws but so many goodies that far outweigh them. Its not the original, its a new game in its image and I think it does a good job.
  58. Nov 19, 2012
    I gave this game a pretty bad review earlier, and I agree with everything I said...but I can't stop playing this game. It's the best bad game or the worst good game ever (I can't decide).
  59. Oct 14, 2012
    This is an excellent game for both fans of the original and newcomers to the series. Please don't be put off by the fanatic 1 in 10 minority who are so blinded in loyalty to the orginal that they can't accept change and would preffer the in-penetrable tedium of counting out pistol clips for half an hour before every mission. The game has been streamlined from the originals and almostThis is an excellent game for both fans of the original and newcomers to the series. Please don't be put off by the fanatic 1 in 10 minority who are so blinded in loyalty to the orginal that they can't accept change and would preffer the in-penetrable tedium of counting out pistol clips for half an hour before every mission. The game has been streamlined from the originals and almost entirely for the better, there is enough tactical and stategic depth in both combat and base mangement to satisfy almost all without boggin you down with overly excessive micro-management elements. The gameplay is intuitive and to my supprise works incredibly well on console given the PC heritage of the game. Action is a joy and provides a good challenge provoking you to think before clicking, it will punish the rash and impatient and reward those that have a considered approach. This is simply the best game of it kind in the genre over the last few years; gameplay, depth, accessbility - They really have got the balance just right. It's monstrously addictive and most of all it's fun. I had a slight gripe with the graphics not being quite top end up but in hindsight it's perfectly presentable and I'm probably being harsh to an otherwise excellent game. It's a bit annoying that the game has got lost amongst the big realeases over the last week (I had to hunt around several stores in order to find a copy) as it really deserves to be played by as bigger audience as possible, those who don't are missing out. An exceptional game and a perfectly executed re-imagining of the original that does justice to it's ancestry in the modern gaming era. Expand
  60. Jul 18, 2013
    Overall a very successful reboot of the X-COM franchise. The general tone of the game and mood of the turn-based combat are near perfect. The graphics are fine. Sound and voice work are solid. The divide between base management and tactical battles is also good. It is possible to knit-pick quite a few areas where the game is underwhelming: Tactical maps are too small and too similar. LOSOverall a very successful reboot of the X-COM franchise. The general tone of the game and mood of the turn-based combat are near perfect. The graphics are fine. Sound and voice work are solid. The divide between base management and tactical battles is also good. It is possible to knit-pick quite a few areas where the game is underwhelming: Tactical maps are too small and too similar. LOS is obscure. There is no tactical mini-map. The squad size is too small. These are all relatively minor points that could be addressed in an expansion or patch, though I doubt we will get one. The real key to enjoying this game is to do a first play through on easy and learn the mechanisms. When you understand how it works you can re-try on harder difficulty until you find the level of toughness which is personally most enjoyable. Overall this game is a definite buy at or under $20. With luck there may be future versions of this game which improve the tactical controls and increase the strategic complication! Let's hope so. Orctowngrot: timtimjp@yahoo.com Expand
  61. Oct 16, 2012
    I've not played this game fully as I've been engrossed with Dishonored. I've completed the first few missions and like what I've seen. It's a nice strategy game with pretty graphics. I haven't had the 'one more go' element that some people have had. That doesn't mean it's a bad game though. I read that it's been massively simplified more the new generation. I don't have a problemI've not played this game fully as I've been engrossed with Dishonored. I've completed the first few missions and like what I've seen. It's a nice strategy game with pretty graphics. I haven't had the 'one more go' element that some people have had. That doesn't mean it's a bad game though. I read that it's been massively simplified more the new generation. I don't have a problem with this as I'm not the quickest of cats and want enjoyment from my games :) Once I've finished Dishonored (which is a 10 out of 10 for me), I'll continue my progress. My initial impression is this is a solid 8 out of 10. Expand
  62. Oct 15, 2012
    Don't you hate first day of release 10 scores, I mean how can they ever be accurate. Anyway, this is a very good squad based tactical shooter, but that is all it is. All the other xcom features are gone or simplified to the point they no longer matter. The base is just 5 menus, the whole Ant Farm Idea is just eye candy, very pretty eye candy but you never have to use it and even if you do,Don't you hate first day of release 10 scores, I mean how can they ever be accurate. Anyway, this is a very good squad based tactical shooter, but that is all it is. All the other xcom features are gone or simplified to the point they no longer matter. The base is just 5 menus, the whole Ant Farm Idea is just eye candy, very pretty eye candy but you never have to use it and even if you do, only the main ops section does anything. They gave up aliens invading your base for a pretty backdrop. UFOs are rare, which is strange for a game about UFOs because shooting them down in large numbers was kind of the whole point of these games. There is only 1 Alien base in the entire game, aliens do not establish bases in areas you failed to defend, you just get this one base and this is part of the main plot anyway. EG part of the story and not at all random in anyway. Cover in battles is so messed up you can be hit through solid walls without the wall being damaged or have zero percent chance of hitting an alien that is stood right next to you. Despite this, the battles are still very good. Aliens do not move around, they spawn when triggered, either by the player walking through invisible triggers that makes them suddenly appear, or by dropping out of the sky like magic or by just popping in to existence in front of your very eyes. Not very convincing. Again, despite this, the battles are still very good. You can play game without any fighters are all, some of my fighters have never been used or only used once after over 20 hours of game play. Unlike the original game where you had a lot of UFOs to shoot down and needed those fighters, that is just not the case here. Most of the time your dealing with UFO landings, but you never see the UFO fly to the spot and land, it just happens. Terror attacks on cities, abductions and a host of other missions make up the core squad based game play, this is what makes the game worth an 8 score on its own. Worth buying just for this if you like Squad based combat. As for the title making it sound like a UFO Enemy Unknown game, that is just a way to sell a Squad based game to an audience that may not have brought it if it was called ET Invasion or something. It may look like an UFO game but its not, there is no RPG elements in this worth speaking off, no strategy worth talking about. Just Squad based tactics, 1 out of the 3 elements that made the original game a classic is all that is left.

My advice to those considering buying is this, if your looking for a Warhammer 40k style table top battle system for the PC then this game rates an 8 out of 10 and you will love it. But if your buying this game because you want a modern UFO Enemy Unknown (UFO Defence in the USA), dont bother, your wasting your money. I am going to score this game based on its squad gameplay and give it an 8, if I was to score it based on what it should have been as a UFO clone, it would only have gotten a 4. So if you want UFO Enemy Unknown DO NOT BUY THIS GAME, but if you like squad combat and thats all you care about, you will love this.
  63. Oct 15, 2012
    A fun game that might have been a classic if it was a little deeper in the tactical combat and if the base command segments got some extra development time. Despite this, it's still a great, well-made--but light-- version of the original. There are noticeable though mostly trivial bugs and the UI is a little rough, but it still creates that "just one more turn" feeling. Definitely worthA fun game that might have been a classic if it was a little deeper in the tactical combat and if the base command segments got some extra development time. Despite this, it's still a great, well-made--but light-- version of the original. There are noticeable though mostly trivial bugs and the UI is a little rough, but it still creates that "just one more turn" feeling. Definitely worth playing, but it probably won't be a game you think about 5 years from now. Expand
  64. Oct 18, 2012
    Minor UI and lock up issues aside, this game has taken my interest away from other fantastic games due to its unique style and gameplay that we have not seen in years. Hard not to recommend. Every night becomes a battle with "one more game."
  65. Jun 6, 2013
    This is the first strategy based game I have been able to enjoy in years. For those complaining about the game not being enough like the original; I dont understand it. This is, imo, the perfect modern incarnate of the old XCOM. We are talking about an 18 year gap between games, it needed the change and they did it very well.
    This game has extremely intuitive features and excellent story
    This game has extremely intuitive features and excellent story and gameplay for a strategy game. I felt involved and driven by the story, and I felt connected to and protective of my soldiers. Good character customization and development.
    The only complaint I can give about this game is that although you can change the skin color and general ethnicity of your characters, you cannot change their nationality and flag. Even though you can change a character from white, to Asian, to Mexican, to African, you cannot change the country he belongs to from, for example, Brazil. They say in the forums it is a prejudiced thing, but I believe the power to change skin color contradicts that claim horribly. This just seriously hinders the amazingly fun ability to create teams of your own imagination. Such as a team of you and your friends, however your best friend Tommy has to be from China, and your brother Chuck was secretly born over the border in Mexico.
    However, the game is an extremely solid 10 for a strategy game. I have never played one more interesting than this one. I must confess before I wrap up that this game possibly gets extra points from me purely based off the fun factor I experienced. It was just fun.
  66. Oct 16, 2012
    A good game that could be an outstanding one if it wasn't for the numerous bugs, the shoddy user interface and an unfinished feel. Despite these the game gets the important things right: the atmosphere is great, the choices are tough and the tactical combat satisfying.
  67. Oct 20, 2012
    A disregard in providing an adequate tutorial meant the learning curve for this game esp in base management requires many hours of trial-and-error. The combat phases are the highlights whereas the base management are a hassle and really not very approachable. The plot is almost non-existent with generic NPCs, poor voice-acting and characters that you dont really want to relate to - they'reA disregard in providing an adequate tutorial meant the learning curve for this game esp in base management requires many hours of trial-and-error. The combat phases are the highlights whereas the base management are a hassle and really not very approachable. The plot is almost non-existent with generic NPCs, poor voice-acting and characters that you dont really want to relate to - they're boring, lack character and dont really do well to drive the so-called 'story' along. There are also technical hitches such as movement square elevation selection issues as well as camera angle bugs and a lot of weird glitches abound. Played for around 20 hours before repetition and a lack of long term appeal sinked in. Get Dishonored instead. As an avid RTS/Strategy gamer, I say wait for this game to hit the bargain bin. Oh and did I mention they've dumbed the game down for consoles as well as made the UI more tailored towards consoles, abandoning PC UIs? Worth a try but not really a game that you'll play ever again. Expand
  68. Oct 16, 2012
    Great game! I was already a fan from the original sequence and I am really satisfied with their work. They made it more dynamic (you can complete a fast mission in 15 minutes), the old one could even take 1 hour to finish. There is obviously flaws and some things that i wish it had. It seems they held back many things, and probably will come as a DLC. Therefore, I don't give them theGreat game! I was already a fan from the original sequence and I am really satisfied with their work. They made it more dynamic (you can complete a fast mission in 15 minutes), the old one could even take 1 hour to finish. There is obviously flaws and some things that i wish it had. It seems they held back many things, and probably will come as a DLC. Therefore, I don't give them the maximum score because of this financial aspect. Expand
  69. Aug 21, 2013
    While no where as deep as the originals, the gameplay has been stripped down to it's essential elements and refined to match the gameplay innovations made since its first release in the mid-90s.

Is it perfect? Far from it. The simplicity of the game leaves much to be desired, but even with all of that said, it --is-- Xcom and a better product than even Xcom Apocalypse. However, I

However, I must rate it one point lower for absolutely no mod support, which is critical for these sorts of games.
  70. May 11, 2013
    A great turn based strategy game that draws you in with cool art style and base management. I think the naysayers forget how bloated the original xcom was. Looking forward to a sequel.
  71. May 17, 2013
    I had fun playing X-Com. Although I have not played a turn-based tactics game in a while, last one was Jagged Alliance 2, which is what, like 10 or 15 years old by now?), X-Com reminded me what I've been missing. The game encourages a brains-over-balls approach, which is to say that it's a thinking man's game. It's like chess, only with guns. And aliens. The tactical options while onI had fun playing X-Com. Although I have not played a turn-based tactics game in a while, last one was Jagged Alliance 2, which is what, like 10 or 15 years old by now?), X-Com reminded me what I've been missing. The game encourages a brains-over-balls approach, which is to say that it's a thinking man's game. It's like chess, only with guns. And aliens. The tactical options while on missions are diverse, and the strategic element that comes with the world map is also interesting. There was some small annoyances here and there, but overall, I really like this game! Expand
  72. Jul 10, 2013
    This game is the game that got me into strategy games. I was always turned off by games like this, but watched someone playing it on youtube and I immediately picked it up. Overall, the game is really fun and I enjoyed the story it had going along with it. I would give it a 10, but the cover system they have going on and I guess the overall combat needs polish or an upgrade toThis game is the game that got me into strategy games. I was always turned off by games like this, but watched someone playing it on youtube and I immediately picked it up. Overall, the game is really fun and I enjoyed the story it had going along with it. I would give it a 10, but the cover system they have going on and I guess the overall combat needs polish or an upgrade to something less random. Even with the flaws this game has, it is a blast and I sunk over 90 hours into it. A must buy for turn-based strategy lovers. Expand
  73. Oct 24, 2013
    A great game that can only be made to look negative by giving it a direct comparison with the original.

Story line is decent. Combat and developing your base & arsenal is greatly entertaining. Combat can feel a bit simplified at times as it is rather dumbed down, but is made more dynamic by the unit abilities gained through promotions. The game is not overly challenging although it

The game is not overly challenging although it may take more than one playthrough to really get a feel of what you should be doing early in the game.
  74. Oct 21, 2013
    It's pretty sad that some die-hard UFO defense fans are downrating this game just because it fell short of their expectation. As a self-contained item, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a genuinely great game. I'll keep this short. The soundtrack is alright, the gameplay is excellent, and the presentation is wonderful. Soldier customization personalizes characters and in combination with theIt's pretty sad that some die-hard UFO defense fans are downrating this game just because it fell short of their expectation. As a self-contained item, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a genuinely great game. I'll keep this short. The soundtrack is alright, the gameplay is excellent, and the presentation is wonderful. Soldier customization personalizes characters and in combination with the brilliant ironman mode, it can be pretty crushing to see them die. There aren't a whole lot of maps, and it can be repetitive after continuous play, but technological developments tend to refresh the gameplay and keep it interesting.

In brief summary:
    Good
    - Addictive, relatively deep gameplay
    - Extremely strong presentation
    - Extensive customization options
    Bad
    - The amount of RNG (basically luck based gameplay) may irritate some.
    - Not as in-depth as it could have been.
    - Becomes a little bit repetitive.
  75. Jan 8, 2014
    Just finished my first play through of this game and I have to say it was well worth the money. I picked it up for 10 dollars during the Steam Xmas sale and after finishing it, I would say it's worth full price. If you like turn based tactical games then buy this game. You get to build your force as you like, recruiting your troops, upgrading them through combat and upgrading theirJust finished my first play through of this game and I have to say it was well worth the money. I picked it up for 10 dollars during the Steam Xmas sale and after finishing it, I would say it's worth full price. If you like turn based tactical games then buy this game. You get to build your force as you like, recruiting your troops, upgrading them through combat and upgrading their weapons and armor through research/capturing/killing the enemies. I found the game play on the challenging side, but I enjoy that in turn based tactical games. Expand
  76. Oct 10, 2012
    XCOM veterans, this isn't just the game you used to play, but with updated graphics. It's a true reimagining of the original. But worry not, it's certainly worth your time. Especially on Classic difficulty, the game is definitely a challenge that takes me back to the agonizing moments, so full of tension, from the original. I found myself coordinating my squad's movements to work as aXCOM veterans, this isn't just the game you used to play, but with updated graphics. It's a true reimagining of the original. But worry not, it's certainly worth your time. Especially on Classic difficulty, the game is definitely a challenge that takes me back to the agonizing moments, so full of tension, from the original. I found myself coordinating my squad's movements to work as a team; carefully approaching each map in a slow and methodical fashion. The XCOM "squad" has a cohesive tactical feeling that the original was missing. Sure there was plenty of strategy in the original, but the new XCOM has a way of really making your team feel like more of a "TEAM" in a way the original didn't. The strategic layer of the game has been modified in such a way that it really serves to reduce the unnecessary elements of the original while still highlighting the importance of thinking about "the big picture" while playing. The game is so much more than just making sure you have the best squad for a given mission. It's about the long game. It's about planning for expansion down the road. It's about being prepared for the inevitable setbacks. It's about being able to think strategically as well as tactically. Nope, this isn't the original XCOM with a new coat of paint. It's a new XCOM. A modern XCOM. An XCOM that already kept me up WAY too late, and I'm sure will claim many more. This is an excellently crafted, undeniably fun strategy game. Expand
  77. Oct 14, 2012
    Superb. Feels very much like the real deal but with an updated engine and annoying fiddles removed.

I noticed one review saying they hated it because you can't save everyone and you will lose countries. Well.. Yes... You will.. Sorry that's unavoidable. It's about winning the war, not the battles and figuring out which countries you can cope without is a big part of the game. Also of

Also of note in this is the way you get attached to your soldiers as you build them up. To the point where you actually feel really bad if one of your favourites dies, which is sadly likely. And this is what makes it a dynamic unfolding drama of your own making rather than a lot of the super-structured games where you just win win win.

The tactical combat in this is genuinely brilliant. Cover and the use of flanking is VITAL in this game and all the better for it.
  78. Oct 13, 2012
    The game is brilliant! it doesn't handle you with kiddie gloves. it roughs you up. til you man up.

It strives to capture all the great things that nostalgic players wanted from the old XCOM. including the "this is not a cakewalk" feel. Ok ok so I was playing on "classic" difficulty level, which is one step higher than normal. But they got it right! Almost all the negative reviews

Almost all the negative reviews you'll see here are out of frustration from how to manage getting credits and not go overboard with accumulating upkeep costs for your facility. Admittedly if it's your first run through the game, you'll probably face this problem. Since you are faced with a wide array of things to upgrade and work on, and it's easy to overlook the main credits making path to keep things afloat, namely satellites.

I've been playing this game 2 days straight now and I'm strongly attached to my squad members, and spend a few mins before every mission just to make sure they look right for their characters before they deploy.

The tactical squad combat carries the whole title. It's lovely and its tense. which is not an easy thing to do on a turn-based game (think jagged alliance?). Admittedly the assault class seems to be overpowered next to others. But other classes are still very helpful as support. The cover system is very simple and clear enough.

Managing resources is a tight rope, and being able to hold on to all countries is a challenge. Base facility management also adds the cool element of "adjacency bonuses", meaning if you cluster your power generators together you get more power.

It's a rare gem that can't be missed!
  79. Oct 12, 2012
    Great game! Fun and scary like the first, for everything it lost for the console tards it gained some features or something that is improved on the first game. A must buy if you like TBS or XCOM. Now we don't see just one X-com, we see X-COM and XCOM in the IP :D (buy it on PC) Mods will put the stuff back in one day!
  80. Oct 18, 2012
    Easily one of the best games I've ever played. If you like turn-based strategy, XCOM: EU provides a level of depth and challenge that is unparalleled in gaming today. This is reminiscent of the Atari games we used to play when I was a child, hard as hell with a simple layout over a deep tactical simulator that allows one to get as deep or stay as shallow as one wants. One thing to get overEasily one of the best games I've ever played. If you like turn-based strategy, XCOM: EU provides a level of depth and challenge that is unparalleled in gaming today. This is reminiscent of the Atari games we used to play when I was a child, hard as hell with a simple layout over a deep tactical simulator that allows one to get as deep or stay as shallow as one wants. One thing to get over early: Team members are going to die. This is a full-scale alien invasion by a species genetically and technologically superior. What did you expect? Just one token death? Save and Load if you want, hell when was the last time you actually had to use those features besides anything but logging on / off? If this makes you too sad difficulty can be changed at any time.

My favorite thing about XCOM: EU is that there is a HUGE noticeable difference in how badass your team is as you level up. What once started as four scrubs getting their asses handed to them by baby aliens with large heads and bigger guns, becomes a death squad that tears aliens to shreds on sight. That said: one wrong move on your part, one alien patrol stumbling upon your team at the wrong moment, one missed shot can be the difference between victory and utter failure. Just like real life.
  81. Nov 18, 2013
    A wonderful resurrection of a neglected genre, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is simultaneously a breath of fresh air and a nod to a time when games were designed to be fun, not to extract money from customers in an endless parade of overpriced DLC. There are no horrible micro-transactions, no stupid online requirements...just good old-fashioned fun. A full game at a fair price, I can't say enoughA wonderful resurrection of a neglected genre, XCOM: Enemy Unknown is simultaneously a breath of fresh air and a nod to a time when games were designed to be fun, not to extract money from customers in an endless parade of overpriced DLC. There are no horrible micro-transactions, no stupid online requirements...just good old-fashioned fun. A full game at a fair price, I can't say enough about how refreshing that feels! The gameplay could be a bit more developed, XCOM could use more tactical options, and less streamlining....but given the shortage of good turn based games, this one is a true gem. I look forward to a full, robust sequel. Expand
  82. Oct 13, 2012
    I am an old school PC gamer. I have a shelf over my desk on which I display the original boxes of games that I consider truly great. The games are arranged more or less in chronological order, except that I have great games with great sequels grouped together (e.g. the SSI gold box games are all together, the two Starflight games are together, etc.) The original X-com, in it's ugly whiteI am an old school PC gamer. I have a shelf over my desk on which I display the original boxes of games that I consider truly great. The games are arranged more or less in chronological order, except that I have great games with great sequels grouped together (e.g. the SSI gold box games are all together, the two Starflight games are together, etc.) The original X-com, in it's ugly white corrugated cardboard box with the black printed sleeve, is sitting on that shelf immediately to the right of "Betrayal at Krondor". The game to the immediate right of X-com is Deus Ex Expand
  83. Oct 10, 2012
    Very good..a lot like the 1993 version which is a game i would play for hours on end,has almost all the things I used to to dream that version had..it is a little simpified compared to the 1993 version..but hey thats our fault we stoped calling friends and family out for being too stupid to fact check things and we let them be intelleculay lazy well this is the end result and it willVery good..a lot like the 1993 version which is a game i would play for hours on end,has almost all the things I used to to dream that version had..it is a little simpified compared to the 1993 version..but hey thats our fault we stoped calling friends and family out for being too stupid to fact check things and we let them be intelleculay lazy well this is the end result and it will continue to be so ..games that takes brains are long gone..so enjoy your ride into idiotacracy .. Expand
  84. Oct 15, 2012
    Simply put, in spite of many defects, this game is magnificent. The mix of combat tactics, base management, research, and basic rpg is an almost perfect combination which still keeps me longing to play more.
    Sure, the interface is extremely dumbed down (while in combat, I was definitely missing a soldier's list in the UI) and has evident usability errors (for example: basic shortcuts, common to every soldier, vary depending on the soldier's additional abilities, which prevents using them quickly and is just dumb), and a deeper base and research management would've been welcome. But there's still a load of variables to account for, and they're all tied in a string of consequences that will need accurate planning. And. The fighting is awesome. Sure, there are bugs (line of sight is not always clear, and sometimes hidden enemies can be targeted more easily than ones that are almost in the open) and even more missing features in the interface. But it's still deeply tactical and terribly fun. With a better interface and bugs fixed, this game would deserve a 10++.
  85. Oct 14, 2012
    Played at least 20 hours on the weekend, had to restart multiple times due to some really bad choices but I'm having a blast. Firaxis removed a lot of busywork like overblown inventory management of the original and thus streamlined this game but in a good way. My only real complaint is about the camera. It bugs frequently during the action scenes and fighting on multiple elevations isPlayed at least 20 hours on the weekend, had to restart multiple times due to some really bad choices but I'm having a blast. Firaxis removed a lot of busywork like overblown inventory management of the original and thus streamlined this game but in a good way. My only real complaint is about the camera. It bugs frequently during the action scenes and fighting on multiple elevations is very frustrating because often there is something (roof) clipping and blocking your view. Expand
  86. Oct 17, 2012
    The only ones who rate this game with negative scores, are old folks that can only compare directly to what is taken out of the old XCOM games. I think that says enough.

Pro's: + Very intense and exciting, backed up by a good usage of luck (might frustrate players who feel they aren't in control) + A lot of though choices to make, deep tactical elements, especially in battle + The

Pro's:
    + A lot of though choices to make, deep tactical elements, especially in battle
    + The combination of perma death of your soldiers, an excellent AI and a difficult setting, make up of a great experience
    + Allows for one of the best player-driven narrative I've ever seen.

- Some camera issues
    - Strategic layer overarching the tactical missions are a bit thin, and don't live up to the complexity and realistic feel of the game

I recommend this to anyone who has some love for hard-knock, immersive strategic games.
  87. Oct 11, 2012
    Have always been a fan of turn based strategy games and this is clearly one the best I have seen in a long long time. As a commander, I prefer a clean and tactical UI that does not require to much micro-management. All controls are intuitive and easy to learn. This is important because it allows you to focus directly on the game rather than impeding your gaming experience with a steep UIHave always been a fan of turn based strategy games and this is clearly one the best I have seen in a long long time. As a commander, I prefer a clean and tactical UI that does not require to much micro-management. All controls are intuitive and easy to learn. This is important because it allows you to focus directly on the game rather than impeding your gaming experience with a steep UI learning curve. Tactical combat is fun and challenging that requires you to think ahead.

There are some minor glitches/bugs in the game but none of them are game-breaking or will affect your gaming experience in general. These can be fixed easily in later patches. Unlike other reviews where users have complained at not being able to 'shoot' at the ground, just ignore these hypocrites. I call them hypocrites because they want this game to be very real and yet they do not behave like 'real' commanders should i.e. Shooting at things that matter and NOT on the ground.
  88. Oct 11, 2012
    I grew up playing the original X-com. I tore through it, all of the sequels, all of the knock offs, and then played them all again. I spent month, not hours, MONTHS of my time on the computer playing that game (kind of sad, I know). Is this game just like the original... no. Of course not. It's it's own game. It's everything a reboot should be. The designers told their own story, their ownI grew up playing the original X-com. I tore through it, all of the sequels, all of the knock offs, and then played them all again. I spent month, not hours, MONTHS of my time on the computer playing that game (kind of sad, I know). Is this game just like the original... no. Of course not. It's it's own game. It's everything a reboot should be. The designers told their own story, their own way. But, they threw in so many ties to the old games that the only complainers are the ones that would never have been happy under any circumstances anyway. It's a great game! If you've never played X-Com, this game is a blast! If you an old fan, you get to relive the old memories in a new and interesting way! Expand
  89. Oct 14, 2012
    As long you're not an anachronistic gamer, who dislike remakes and argue only in terms of his limited experience, and if you like turn-based tactical games, this might be the best game for you, for hundreds of hours. I'm probably a so called X-COM veteran, which means that I played all titles, even "Interceptor", I enjoyed the UFO series, and tons of open source remakes. I played everyAs long you're not an anachronistic gamer, who dislike remakes and argue only in terms of his limited experience, and if you like turn-based tactical games, this might be the best game for you, for hundreds of hours. I'm probably a so called X-COM veteran, which means that I played all titles, even "Interceptor", I enjoyed the UFO series, and tons of open source remakes. I played every single turn-based game since 1990. Firaxis does not create too complex games, so most of their titles are not made for experienced players. So I was expecting not too much. But my current point of view is that it is one of the best turn-based tactical games I've ever played, but you need to give it 10+ h, until it gets harder and more interesting, after the enemies got grenades and better weapons, armor, and a tactical brain. After 15 h on "Classic" and "Iron Man" it got nice, finally, I'm losing 1-2 soldiers per battle, which was one of the first suprises to me, which will change soon, I hope. I like most of the changes, because it is nice to see a different approach, because this genre is so overused. This game here is more tactical than most X-COM titles, in my opinion, even if you see less statistics and have less opportunities to count on them, due to cover and "cliffhanger" mechanics. But I miss economic features, i.e. ammunition production, which can be costly. X-COM was about team and company management. This part is very stricted now I'm missing self-organisation features from X-COM, which means: I'm not sure if it depends if I shoot a big UFO or not. UFOs and missions appears erratic to me, at least it's unclear to me and is a big minus. So I just click on "scan" for new UFOs, 1-2 abuctions and 1 special mission per month? Seems scripted to me. In old X-COM you knew that there is a relation between your missions and new bases. They cancelled radars, but added satellites which appears as radars on the map, which is somehow funny, and not only this: satellites are connected to subterranean (!) uplinks. I miss the management of 2-3 bases, but I see that this overtax some people. The ant farm base look nice, on first glance, but seems redundant to me, because the buildings are too big for a clean view and user navigation, so you're using the top buttons most the time. But I like how cover is handled, how the graphics looks like (for a turn-based game), the story (most X-COM stories are great), and the similarity to the first X-COMs. Expand
  90. Oct 14, 2012
    No, this is not XCOM: UFO defense. If you want to rehash history, play the original as it is available from several sources. This game while having similarities to the original, stands firmly on its own. They have done an excellent job with both the game play and modern graphics while retaining the essence of what the original was all about. I love it; hours and hours of turn based fun!
  91. Oct 10, 2012
    Despite some negative reviewers who can't approach nastalgia with an open mind, this is a game of its time. It has just the right mix of the original elements while ditching those things that would frustrate in the modern era. Those who are fans of the original and those who just want to see what the fuss is about should pickup this game. Those that wanted the original with a new skinDespite some negative reviewers who can't approach nastalgia with an open mind, this is a game of its time. It has just the right mix of the original elements while ditching those things that would frustrate in the modern era. Those who are fans of the original and those who just want to see what the fuss is about should pickup this game. Those that wanted the original with a new skin might consider booting up the old version as you will find change here that is good, but requires some perspective to appreciate. Expand
  92. Oct 14, 2012
    This game is fantastic! Very well done and is (almost) all I hoped for in a reimagination of this old classic! I write "almost" because there are a few things lacking, but nothing serious.

First the good things: The game! Yes, it does almost nothing wrong. I know there are a lot of people ranting over the things that are missing compared to the old game. But really, this is an reimagination and most things have been changed up - and for the better. Inventory management is quick and intuitive, no more 10 min. inventory checks before each mission. The research tree is expanded and you are able to customize everything from troops and items to vehichles. More varied missions. Nice cutscenes and input from NPC's adding to the atmosphere and storyline. MUCH more emphasis on tactics - make too many mistakes and you are seriously punished, think before you move and you are rewarded. Soldiers have different classes, contributing to the tactical thinking. Base building requires more consideration. Resource management! Probably the single most mportant enhancement if you like this sort of game! Depending on difficulty level, you really have to pay a much closer attenyion to your resources than in the old Xcom. You can no longer mass produce laser rifles and sell them off, this is a big plus as it keeps the end game interesting! Even though you are 4 months in you can still make mistakes that can cause you to lose the game. This and much, much, more!

It is a teeny weeny lacking in the original atmosphere. The music, although good, is a bit too upbeat in my opinion. You just don't get the same creepy sensation... Then there is the clunky characters, guess it is because of the console adaption, but come on, some of the guys got hands twice as big as a normal person's head. Finally I wish they would have spent a little more time on finding talented voice actors.

But all on all highly recommendable. If you loved the old game you shouldn't be dissapointed.
  93. Oct 11, 2012
    I have been a old school gamer and have played the original x-com and the jagged alliance games as well. With the Xcom: Enemy Unknown I can say this is definitly the spiritual successor of the original. I have been waiting for a turn base tactically game that was actually any good and my long wait is over. There are so many details in this game and you can tell alot of love and thoughtI have been a old school gamer and have played the original x-com and the jagged alliance games as well. With the Xcom: Enemy Unknown I can say this is definitly the spiritual successor of the original. I have been waiting for a turn base tactically game that was actually any good and my long wait is over. There are so many details in this game and you can tell alot of love and thought was put in this game by that set details. I give Firaxis mad props for them tackling the remake of one of the best games ever made in x-com. It is similar to the original but also it is definitly not the same game as it. This is a good thing, there is a lot less micro managment that would bog down the "fun" factor in the game and the fun factors are all-a-plenty! The core game play is tactical turn base combat, and the game brings this in spades. You actually worry about your soldiers surviving and when they die you will feel it, especially if it a veteran soldier that fall in combat because what they bring to the table as they gain levels is hard to get back. This type reaction give you a emotional attachment to your soldiers as the game progresses.

I can say more about this game but just talking about doesnt it give it justice. Just go buy it and see for your self. Its one of the best games I have played in long long time and worth every cent I payed for it.
  94. Oct 9, 2012
    Well, at first it seemed alright, i would have originally gave it like a 6 or 7. But just as i was about to get off, i realized there was alot more to do. that bumped me up to like a 8. I saw the game being good because i could experiment with different stuff like equipment and tactics. But then that was about it. So just as im about to get off to write my review, im playing a mission toWell, at first it seemed alright, i would have originally gave it like a 6 or 7. But just as i was about to get off, i realized there was alot more to do. that bumped me up to like a 8. I saw the game being good because i could experiment with different stuff like equipment and tactics. But then that was about it. So just as im about to get off to write my review, im playing a mission to escort a scientist to safety. Just as im about to extract him, a hiding alien kills him with overwatch...that ended my happiness. And then the next mission after was a terror mission! Now get this. The only species of alien in this entire mission were chryssalids...now im not going to give away what they are if you are new to xcom, but lets just say too many of these buggers on a terror mission and not even maxed veterans can fully survive. So i lost 5 out of my 6 men while taking 23 of those little buggers with me. Thats when i decided this game deserves a 9. Not only does it create a challenge. But it has a good feel to it where you dont get bored. It gives you just enough uniqueness to think its something new. But thats where i think it may have a hard time. Today's kids drop anything they can't really beat the first or second try. Well ladies and gentlemen. If this is your first xcom. You aren't going to beat it your first or second try. Possibly not even your tenth. Then again i am playing on iron man...oh well. I'd surely recommend XCOM:Enemy Unkown to all players that enjoy a good challenge and have fun doing so. Expand
  95. Oct 10, 2012
    Great strategy game! A lot like the original in some aspects, in some others it´s different. A little too much click sounds in the interface though, still looking for a disable option. Otherwise, great solid recommendation.
  96. Oct 13, 2012
    As a hardcore XCom fan i have to say im very impressed with this, not sure what people are saying that if you have played the original it wont be as fun? im having lots of fun? im "probably" about halfway through it and have enjoyed every moment of it. No, its not the original but it wasnt set out to be. I find it much more tactical then the first game as in this one the AI is quiteAs a hardcore XCom fan i have to say im very impressed with this, not sure what people are saying that if you have played the original it wont be as fun? im having lots of fun? im "probably" about halfway through it and have enjoyed every moment of it. No, its not the original but it wasnt set out to be. I find it much more tactical then the first game as in this one the AI is quite intelligent and you have to use the cover system and back each of your squad members up and think of every possibiltiy, which is nice. the graphics are great and give a good "personal" feeling to the game with the dynamic camera. The ant farm style base is great and gives a different feel to the game as you can see what is going on in your base like recently captured aliens being held in the containment etc, I rated this a 9 as no game is perfect in my view, it is a very good game but i would like to see certain functions be in there like someone has said when your troops initially upgrade from rookie to select which paths they take as i had 6 snipers in a group of about 12 soldiers and without hiring more soldiers i could not get the other classes which were needed, even then wasnt always certain. Also found the interface when i move my soldiers in a ufo tends to not zoom inside the ufo as id like and alot of the time see the roof when i go to move, which is a pain sometimes but its very minor. All in all from what i have played so far about 16 hours worth its a very impressive game and appeals not just to fans of the series but new ones alike. Id recommend it to anyone. Expand
  97. Oct 13, 2012
    Let me just start out by saying this game had me hooked. I lost track of time, and before I knew it, 6 hours had passed, and I was starving. This game was incredibly addictive and fun. The sense of urgency was there, along with the frantic drive to decide which research project will save more of your troops, and a new dependency on choosing which countries to help, and which ones you haveLet me just start out by saying this game had me hooked. I lost track of time, and before I knew it, 6 hours had passed, and I was starving. This game was incredibly addictive and fun. The sense of urgency was there, along with the frantic drive to decide which research project will save more of your troops, and a new dependency on choosing which countries to help, and which ones you have to let go. I loved the dependence on tactical positioning, with cover and height advantages, to get the most out of your troops, and the leveling system of the squad was excellent. Singleplayer is excellent.

Now for what I didn't like as much. Multiplayer was weak at best. A fun distraction, but don't count on it being worth the purchase price. Singleplayer does have flaws as well. Not to get into spoiler territory, but I thought they could have done more work on the ending (more on the cinematic part/wrapping it up, as it ends rather abruptly IMO. Also, the enemies could have been more dynamic on the map. While they revealed themselves a good number of times, and that ruined my day on multiple occasions (when I was already fighting 2 cyberdisks, a pack of crysallids shows up), or I revealed a group of aliens while outflanking the group I was fighting, most of the time, it was a game of cat and mouse, with me being the cat. Not to say this wasn't like the original, but I just expected the aliens to be more dynamic, given the 18 year gap. This could be in part due to the small squad sizes, which, at the beginning is prohibitive, but by the time you have 6 colonels with plasma, 6 is all you really need.

Compared to the original, this game weeds out a lot of the tediousness of the first, while maintaining the strategic pleasure of the first. The only thing I would add would be the ability to pick up the equipment of your fallen soldiers, as I found it annoying when my soldier carrying the item I needed kicked the bucket, leaving me without it. Multiple bases in the original were mainly to expand your interceptor coverage, as my main base could have housed all the necessary buildings for building and researching what I needed (along with psionics and all that jazz). Considering that, limited to one base with interceptor bases wasn't a bad thing IMO. The exclusion of time units similarly was not a problem, as the 2 action system actually makes your individual actions far more important. In the original, you could go into a room, see it's full of enemies, take a shot, and then run back out again. Also, stopping your unit when you saw an enemy was a crutch. The new game succeeds it's predecessor in that regard, by making each action a crucial choice.

Overall, this game exceeds the original, which is to be expected of a game that comes out 18 years later. Multiplayer is fun, but not a reason to buy the game. Picking up dead soldiers equipment should certainly be added, but it was not a game breaker. More dynamic enemies would be appreciated, rather than knowing you're going to stumble upon enemies in this area, with little deviation (there was times they took me by surprise, but not many).
  98. Oct 12, 2012
    The Good: Solid strategy and tactics game. Recreates the important elements of the original with the strategy and tactical layers working together, in addition to RPG elements. XCOM presents gameplay that has both depth and breadth.

The Bad: One of the worst hand holding tutorials I have ever seen in a game. The 'tutorial' seems to last for ever, hours, and should probably more aptly be called 'Story Mode.'

The Ugly: In an attempt to make the game look slick, and appeal to a wider audience, they employ many camera tricks to make the game look more action based and cinematic. While the concept is solid the execution was poor. Many times the camera is pointing at nothing interesting and the characters clip into walls and set pieces. Good idea, bad implementation.

Overall: Love it.
  99. Oct 13, 2012
    An incredible reimagining of a classic. Firaxis have managed to identify all the things (with one exception) that made the old game great, while streamlining the tedious parts. What's particularly impressive is how they decided to make the tactical gameplay and soldier advancement DEEPER than the original game, rather than SHALLOWER, as is the tendency these days.

I'd love to be able to

I'd love to be able to rate this game a 10 out of 10, but two major things prevent me from giving it that perfect score. For one, the maps aren't procedurally generated as they were in the original. Rather, the game draws maps randomly from a large pool. Fortunately randomization of spawn points and other things as well as a large map pool to begin with prevents it from becoming boring. The second issue with the game is a bug where in some of the more vertically complex map, the ceiling flickers in and out, making it difficult to see what you're doing.
  100. Oct 13, 2012
    I do miss some function that was in the original game, but I think Firaxis has made up for that with a few things I am really enjoying. They have somehow made me very protective of my few but effective soldiers. They made me actually WANT abductions to occur so I had a faster opportunity to obtain scientists, engineers, and money. The base interface is intuitive, looks great, and theyI do miss some function that was in the original game, but I think Firaxis has made up for that with a few things I am really enjoying. They have somehow made me very protective of my few but effective soldiers. They made me actually WANT abductions to occur so I had a faster opportunity to obtain scientists, engineers, and money. The base interface is intuitive, looks great, and they nixed the need for multiple capture rooms (huzzah!). In the original game, I can't tell you how many times I have tried to get soldiers to a good position and ran out of points to move them there, so I think the move/rush feature is awesome. I want to create multiple bases, but being able to cover the same areas with satellites is not a bad trade. Maybe we'll see it in a DLC, who knows. The half-cover/full-cover dynamic is simple to pick up and hard to master. A fantastic addition to the game. Frankly, I couldn't be happier about my decision to play this game. Never been happier to drop $50. Expand
  101. Oct 13, 2012
    Love this game. True pinnacle of turn based gaming. Firaxis is to thank for that. Feel light and shallow at first until about 15 hours in. After that you are almost forced to restart on the basis that you've been playing the game all wrong. I felt the same way with Civ 5. Enough depth and entertainment to give me sleepless nights. Lots of ways to customize your play style. Great pacing.Love this game. True pinnacle of turn based gaming. Firaxis is to thank for that. Feel light and shallow at first until about 15 hours in. After that you are almost forced to restart on the basis that you've been playing the game all wrong. I felt the same way with Civ 5. Enough depth and entertainment to give me sleepless nights. Lots of ways to customize your play style. Great pacing. Sometimes wonky camera and movement , but that doesn't distract from the challenge the game offers even just playing on normal. It's a must play for any turn based fan. Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Is it better than the original? No. One can’t imagine X-Com 2012 being an all-time-classic and people still playing with it, months from now (let alone, years). Is it a ‘true’ X-Com game, however? Definitely. Remorseless geeks are in for shivers and swoons when they meet their beloved foes: mind-controlling sectoids, zombifying Chrysalids, Cyberdisks, Ethereals… [December 2012]
  2. Dec 18, 2012
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown is a worthy tribute to its progenitor and hopefully the start of something brand new for players who've been dying to get a good squad-based strategy game that lets them not only think, but feel as well.
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Nov 14, 2012
    Amazing tactical complexity, satisfying strategic depth; slightly dodgy ending, but your own stories are more important anyway. A modern classic.